PDA

View Full Version : Beckham clashes with another fan

The Kingpin
07-27-2009, 11:21 AM
BBC

Beckham was fined £600 for clashing with a Galaxy fan last week
England midfielder David Beckham was involved in another confrontation with a fan during Los Angeles Galaxy's match on Saturday.
Beckham exchanged words with a man in an England shirt during the Galaxy's 1-1 draw with the Kansas City Wizards.
The 34-year-old, who was fined after a clash with a fan last week, claimed the spectator insulted his wife Victoria.
"He shouldn't actually be wearing that shirt because what he was saying about my wife was a disgrace," he said.
The former England captain was fined $1,000 (£600) by Major League Soccer last Friday following a confrontation with fans during a recent friendly against AC Milan.
Beckham, who missed part of the Major League Soccer season earlier this year when he joined the Italian giants on loan, was booed by a section of the home crowd during the game.
At half-time, he approached one group of fans and appeared to challenge them to meet him on the pitch.
Security staff intervened, and police arrested a fan who left the stands.
Beckham joined Milan on loan because he was keen to satisfy England boss Fabio Capello's demand that he play at the highest level to remain in contention for international selection.
He is England's most capped outfield player, with 112 appearances, and is keen to play on until the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

yellowfellow
07-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Fans in England have said worst things about his wife before...he didn't take the fans' taunting very "professionally"

Oblio2
07-27-2009, 11:28 AM
He has every right to defend his wife.

werewolf
07-27-2009, 11:33 AM
at least he didn't run into the stands like Antonio Davis, though that would have been funnier.

MartinUtd
07-27-2009, 11:38 AM
He has every right to defend his wife.

Was his wife in any danger? He's a "professional" athlete, if he can't handle some heckling then he needs to go home.

Belfast_Boy
07-27-2009, 11:40 AM
awww poor Bechham..... probably went home to cry himself to sleep in his 20 gazillion dollar house. I'm not going to feel sorry for him. just because someone talks doesn't mean you have to listen. he's painted a big target on his ass going back and forth and talking shite about being committed but then changing his mind. tough shit Becks! suck it up!

Blazer
07-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Personally, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with either heckling, or players gesturing to fans. I understand that kids are vulnerable and influential onlookers too but hell – fans pay their ticket to get in so as long as it doesn’t get physical I say let the taunting and player rebuttals continue. It keeps fans engaged. :P

Nodoubtguy
07-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I can see it now...."i'm going back to Europe because the fans here don't understand the game and are classless scum"

Oblio2
07-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Was his wife in any danger? He's a "professional" athlete, if he can't handle some heckling then he needs to go home.

So it's ok to be personally abusive just because he's a football player?
Give me a break.
Fans are being charged now for remarks made to players. You want to make comments about football, fine. Screaming obsceneties about his wife just doesnt cut it for me and goes above and beyond the line.

Dirk Diggler
07-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Wow ... what the hell is going on with this man? The way he is flipping out these days you'd think that he has been playing sunday league matches all his career ... I can absolutely guarantee that he has received verbal abuse 100 times worse in England. Maybe he signed his contract expecting that everyone will be hanging on his nuts throughout his stay in the MLS and now he is rattled because that does not seem to be the case anymore.

The Kingpin
07-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Give me a break.
Fans are being charged now for remarks made to players. You want to make comments about football, fine. Screaming obsceneties about his wife just doesnt cut it for me and goes above and beyond the line.

100% in agreement.

Belfast_Boy
07-27-2009, 11:55 AM
fuck it, let him go crying back to Italy and England. maybe he'll pull his uterus again!

Darlofletch
07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
"He shouldn't actually be wearing that shirt because what he was saying about my wife was a disgrace," he said.

Right, because no english football supporter has ever said anything unpleasant about anything. Never mind the whole hooliganism thing, this is the most disgraceful thing that's ever been done by a supporter in an england shirt.

I think Dirk has it right, he doesn't seem to be able to handle the fact that supporters in America aren't fawning over his every move, and just happy to have him over here.

I mean, we're the ignorant masses he came over here to convert and educate, how could we be so ungrateful.

Darlofletch
07-27-2009, 12:16 PM
From Sky's version of the article...

"For an Englishman to be saying that, maybe he's not an Englishman."

obviously I don't know exactly what the guy said, and I haven't been back to England in a while, but insulting an opposition player's wife to try and put him off his game sounds like fairly average english supporter behaviour, for better or worse.

Oblio2
07-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Not really.

C.Ronaldo
07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
beckham is pretty sensitve.

At the allstar game I yelled out something stupid about him and that he was shite.

he looked over, and shook his head in disapointment, to which i apologized and said it was just in good fun. He waved and went on his merry way back to practicing.

But for $10000000000000000 of dollars, you can say anything you want about me.

Oblio2
07-27-2009, 12:25 PM
I agree. Say he's a terrible player....tell him that he's a waste of money but calling his wife a filthy whore is plain wrong

C.Ronaldo
07-27-2009, 12:29 PM
I agree. Say he's a terrible player....tell him that he's a waste of money but calling his wife a filthy whore is plain wrong

probably hurts more when there's doubts about his wife to begin with.

im not saying.....im just saying

Pigfynn
07-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Whatever you may think of him as a player you can't fault him for defending his wife. These guys are just fucking people like the rest of us. Maybe some of you wouldn't react to your wives being called vile things, but I sure as hell would.

I would be more disappointed in him as a man if he didn't have something to say back to a classless moron.

ExiledRed
07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
'does she take it up the ass, David Beckham?'

'posh spice is a slapper, she wears a wonderbra?'

where the hell were these chants invented? It wasn't in Spain ffs.

The Kingpin
07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
From Sky's version of the article...

"For an Englishman to be saying that, maybe he's not an Englishman."

obviously I don't know exactly what the guy said, and I haven't been back to England in a while, but insulting an opposition player's wife to try and put him off his game sounds like fairly average english supporter behaviour, for better or worse.

You can't even swear in England if you are anywhere near the field. The stewards will shut you down pretty quick.

ExiledRed
07-27-2009, 12:49 PM
You can't even swear in England if you are anywhere near the field. The stewards will shut you down pretty quick.

Times have changed haven't they? I guess I'm from the terraces and have little experience with these all seaters.

Nobody gets chucked for singing that Gerrard is "fuck-in 'ard though."

I guess there's a difference between a humourous song sung by thousands and a vitriolic outburst from an individual.

MartinUtd
07-27-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm guessing that doesn't extent to Millwall games.

And hurling obscenities is one thing, but hurling beer/coins/bananas is really crossing the line. I don't think it's asking too much for Beckham to suck it up and concentrate on the game.

ExiledRed
07-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Beckham could have reacted a lot worse though

wTG0f0ErCSU

HA!

I still have nightmares about Cantona, but the man won my respect that day.

canadian_bhoy
07-27-2009, 12:55 PM

And that's a good thing?

Beckham endured 40,000 people chanting that his wife took it in the ar$e week in and week out in the EPL. Now one guy's comments are going to make him upset?

The big difference of course is that here, he's being made fun of by people who know nothing about football - a bunch of Nascar, NFL fans, not real proper football supporters. How dare they make fun of Jesu...I mean Becks.

He's a big boy and should be sucking it up. Fans are entitled to voice their opinions whether it is in good taste or not. Let stadium security stick to what they're good at and he can stick to what he's good at. Besides, I'm sure the pile of money he sleeps on makes him feel better. And the trophy he's got beside him...especially when she takes it up the ar$e.

Phil
07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
With Becks, his wife is a public figure and will always court some offside remarks. I would be more upset if someone went after a players wife who wasn't in the public eye at all. Beckham needs to be a little less sensitive with that stuff, goodness knows he has been hearing it for quite some time.

That being said, going after family is just wrong in my books and I don't like it.

ExiledRed
07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm imagining Beckham saying:

"When the seagalls follow the twaller, it's 'cause they t'ink sardeens will be thwown inna see".

rocker
07-27-2009, 01:16 PM
i wonder if he thinks confronting the fans will make it go away... or maybe he'll feel better by confronting the fans.

Shaughno
07-27-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm imagining Beckham saying:

"When the seagalls follow the twaller, it's 'cause they t'ink sardeens will be thwown inna see".

I'm sorry, but I fully LOL'd at that one.

The Kingpin
07-27-2009, 01:21 PM
And that's a good thing?

Beckham endured 40,000 people chanting that his wife took it in the ar$e week in and week out in the EPL. Now one guy's comments are going to make him upset?

The big difference of course is that here, he's being made fun of by people who know nothing about football - a bunch of Nascar, NFL fans, not real proper football supporters. How dare they make fun of Jesu...I mean Becks.

He's a big boy and should be sucking it up. Fans are entitled to voice their opinions whether it is in good taste or not. Let stadium security stick to what they're good at and he can stick to what he's good at. Besides, I'm sure the pile of money he sleeps on makes him feel better. And the trophy he's got beside him...especially when she takes it up the ar$e.

I wasn't saying whether it's good or bad, I was just correcting the previous poster. Look, you know more that anyone that I felt this Beckham thing was going to blow up somehow. I personally like Beckham, I think he handles himself very well considering the regular media scrutiny. But in honestly. I think he has issues with this recent activity because it is coming from fans of a lower rate league. I'd have a tough time taking it, that's for sure. Wife and religion always stays out of it. I'd crush a man's skull for taking a shot at my wife. Plain and simple. Everyone is calling Beckham "classless", but the fan needs to have his throat cut as penance... Just my thoughts anyway!!

The Kingpin
07-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Times have changed haven't they? I guess I'm from the terraces and have little experience with these all seaters.

Nobody gets chucked for singing that Gerrard is "fuck-in 'ard though."

I guess there's a difference between a humourous song sung by thousands and a vitriolic outburst from an individual.

That's it - you can't stop thousands. But they will shut down the one.

Pigfynn
07-27-2009, 01:24 PM
I wasn't saying whether it's good or bad, I was just correcting the previous poster. Look, you know more that anyone that I felt this Beckham thing was going to blow up somehow. I personally like Beckham, I think he handles himself very well considering the regular media scrutiny. But in honestly. I think he has issues with this recent activity because it is coming from fans of a lower rate league. I'd have a tough time taking it, that's for sure. Wife and religion always stays out of it. I'd crush a man's skull for taking a shot at my wife. Plain and simple. Everyone is calling Beckham "classless", but the fan needs to have his throat cut as penance... Just my thoughts anyway!!

Steady on

:drinking:

ensco
07-27-2009, 01:36 PM
I was in the US on the weekend and saw it live on ESPN. Nobody could figure out what was going on at first because Beckham seemed to be taking a long time to collect a ball for a throw in. It was kind of amazing because the incident took at least 30 seconds during the run of play.

Some of it was caused by the proximity - anyone who's been to that stadium in KC knows that the players are just a few feet from the fans on throw ins.

Some of it is premeditated - Beckham is trying to send a message to somebody.

LA looked very sharp in that game, btw. Very unlucky not to get 3 points. I think they are a serious contender.

MartinUtd
07-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Kingpin, That's just it. Not growing up with the scrutiny of celebrity means you are accustomed to taking such attacks personally. Beckham has been hearing this for the last 15 years and for him to make such public outbursts now just proves that he thinks he's above this whole continent. I say fuck him and keep pushing his buttons. Maybe LA fans can make it so he doesn't want to come back.

And yes, that is the message I want to project to any half assed decliners who think they can simply retire here without an ounce of effort.

Belfast_Boy
07-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Beckham could have reacted a lot worse though

wTG0f0ErCSU

HA!

I still have nightmares about Cantona, but the man won my respect that day.

Ohhh there's a proper reaction. Love Cantona even if he played for United! if he's going to get fined then make it worth it. Put your foot in someones ass!
he's a good footballer, can't take that away from him. but I think he's a whiny poser!

Sab0tage
07-27-2009, 02:46 PM
What a plug. Beckham is getting pretty sensitive. It's not like he hasn't heard anything like this before.

Dirk Diggler
07-27-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist or anything but it certainly seems as if Beckham is upto something here. His constant insistence that he wants to stay in LA is clearly a charade. Maybe he wants to accumulate incidents like this and make a case for himself to leave LA since he is no longer wanted. This way he can play the victim card and earn the public sympathy back rather than look like the indecisive money and fame hungry mess that he actually is.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-27-2009, 03:20 PM

What ever happened to freedom of speech?

Pat downs in England can't be far behind.

prizby
07-27-2009, 03:23 PM
The 34-year-old, who was fined after a clash with a fan last week, claimed the spectator insulted his wife Victoria.

hold on, so now he changed his story?

bhoybobby
07-27-2009, 03:26 PM
With Becks, his wife is a public figure and will always court some offside remarks. I would be more upset if someone went after a players wife who wasn't in the public eye at all. Beckham needs to be a little less sensitive with that stuff, goodness knows he has been hearing it for quite some time.

That being said, going after family is just wrong in my books and I don't like it.

Becky was on the Ali G show with his shallow wife doing a comedy bit about bum play with his wife.

He can't have it both ways, he plays fast & loose with the media & his image along with his wife. he entered that circus all by himself. He can't complain now that e can't control it.

Brooker
07-27-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist or anything but it certainly seems as if Beckham is upto something here. His constant insistence that he wants to stay in LA is clearly a charade. Maybe he wants to accumulate incidents like this and make a case for himself to leave LA since he is no longer wanted. This way he can play the victim card and earn the public sympathy back rather than look like the indecisive money and fame hungry mess that he actually is.

i have a feeling you're right.

Belfast_Boy
07-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Becky was on the Ali G show with his shallow wife doing a comedy bit about bum play with his wife.

He can't have it both ways, he plays fast & loose with the media & his image along with his wife. he entered that circus all by himself. He can't complain now that e can't control it.

I was just thinking about Ali G! here's the clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P842Tmi6lrc

Up The TFC
07-27-2009, 11:07 PM
He's a "professional" athlete, if he can't handle some heckling then he needs to go home.

I'm not going to feel sorry for him

I can see it now...."i'm going back to Europe because the fans here don't understand the game and are classless scum"

Wow ... what the hell is going on with this man? The way he is flipping out these days you'd think that he has been playing sunday league matches all his career

he doesn't seem to be able to handle the fact that supporters in America aren't fawning over his every move, and just happy to have him over here.

A lot of people seem to think that because he's jawing with supporters that he's 'upset' or 'losing it' or 'cracking up'?

Calling someone a fucking cunt for insulting your wife seems a perfectly reasonable and respectable response to me.

Whoop
07-27-2009, 11:33 PM
What ever happened to freedom of speech?

Pat downs in England can't be far behind.

Hilarious! LOL

I'm a cynic I think Becks is acting up so he can go back to the Continent.

Brooker
07-28-2009, 12:52 AM
A lot of people seem to think that because he's jawing with supporters that he's 'upset'....

well when a player like Beckham takes almost 3/4 of a minute during play to talk to a fan, i'm guessing he's a little upset.

like others have said.... this is all leading up to him going back home and having an excuse.

Hooligan69
07-28-2009, 01:19 AM
I find this whole Beckham situation rather hilarious.

Shep
07-28-2009, 01:55 AM

ok captain tuffpants. :chillpill:

Mark in Ottawa
07-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Give me a break.
^^ +1

Mark in Ottawa
07-28-2009, 06:56 AM
Maybe he wants to accumulate incidents like this and make a case for himself to leave LA since he is no longer wanted.
Or he will use it to throw in the face of MLS and the LA Galaxy...
"your fans don't want me to stay so why do you insist on it?"

felipe
07-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Ahh..I can't figure out how to insert a pic...go to http://www.guardian.co.uk/football

for some funny Becks/Dono pics

Apologies if posted before...