PDA

View Full Version : Who would you pick to run the club?

Belfast_Boy
07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Given an unlimited amount of money to spend on the man to run the club who would you pick? Right now Cummins is our interim head coach. sounds very temporary and I'm sure some are very happy about that.

Would you have Ferguson who is the most accomplished manager with a huge set of iron balls and razor like comments? Or would you go for a more subdued man like Rafa that thinks before he acts and speaks? Or would your choice be for passion and charisma like Mourinho?

HOPE THERE'S NOT ANOTHER THREAD LIKE THIS, I SEARCHED AND DIDN'T SEE ONE.

flatpicker
07-27-2009, 08:50 AM
I choose Kingpin! ;)

The Kingpin
07-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I choose Kingpin! ;)

Why the wink?? I think I would be an excellent choice!

Honestly - none of the above. I would choose David Moyes. He has built a top flight club for 25% of the money the top four pay for their teams. Best bang for your buck by a long shot.

Parkdale
07-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Right now Cummins is our interim head coach. sounds very temporary and I'm sure some are very happy about that.

interesting.... they list him as 'interm' on the website,
but they don't say it when they announce him at the games.

fetajr
07-27-2009, 09:28 AM
CARLOS BIANCHI

http://www.solocalcio.com/wp-content/uploads//carlos-bianchi1.jpg

Daveisonfire
07-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Guus Hiddink...

wait actually I would pick Sigi Schmid, hands down

Dunc
07-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Or would you go for a more subdued man like Rafa that thinks before he acts and speaks?

:picard:

Unless you mean he thinks "How could my make any more of a fool of myself?"

VPjr
07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Rafael Carbajal.

Cas87
07-27-2009, 11:51 AM
I say we hold an election for president and that every year we have a vote of confidence in the GM

I am sure other teams do it....
;) ;)

Jay P
07-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Sigi Schmid, Dom Kinnear, Frank Yallop.

anyone who knows how to build an MLS team w/ some success.

olegunnar
07-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Knotmoj Ohahnson

Flashman
07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't know about unlimited money, but I am inclined to go with someone with an intimate knowledge of MLS and it's peculiarities as well.

As such, I might take a good long look at Paul mariner, if we can't entice Steve Nicol away from NE Revs.

DangerRed
07-27-2009, 12:10 PM
I still have faith in Cummins. I'd stick with him and splurge on real grass and a proper defensive lineup. :)

KrazyKanadian
07-27-2009, 12:46 PM
I vote for CoachGT.

Nuvinho
07-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Sigi

kodiakTFC
07-27-2009, 12:59 PM
I'd pick Parkdale because at least we'd likely get some more videos out of him.

fetajr
07-27-2009, 01:05 PM
I vote:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/images/headshots/Mitchell_Dale2008www.jpg

Dale Mitchell!!

...to clean the urinals at BMO field.

rocker
07-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Sigi Schmid, Dom Kinnear, Frank Yallop.

anyone who knows how to build an MLS team w/ some success.

Right on.
I would never hire a coach who hasn't shown some success in MLS unless there was nobody of that sort available. (then I'd turn to assistants who worked for these successful coaches).

MLS is such a different league in terms of rules and parity, that you need a guy who knows exactly what it takes to succeed here, not England, not Italy .. those leagues are too different...
of course, it's OK to pick someone from Europe, but to me, the safest pick is a guy already doing well in MLS.

I'd also add Steve Nicol and maybe even Preki to your list.

mighty_torontofc_2008
07-27-2009, 01:14 PM
our clib is being well run so i would change anyone at this point in time...we have improved on and off the field compared to the last two seasons..we are doing ok in the league ( could be a bit better) but stay the course...:scarf:

ExiledRed
07-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Ferguson and Rafa would be crap in MLS, I'm convinced.

While this league is in this shape and form, it needs coaches who know how to work on a small budget, understand the draft and the many idiosyncacies of the single entity league.

They also need to be able to keep their mouths shut, and refrain from dissing everyone to the refs, officials, other coaches and players every single game.

The Kingpin
07-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Ferguson and Rafa would be crap in MLS, I'm convinced.

While this league is in this shape and form, it needs coaches who know how to work on a small budget, understand the draft and the many idiosyncacies of the single entity league.

They also need to be able to keep their mouths shut, and refrain from dissing everyone to the refs, officials, other coaches and players every single game.

Like I said Moyes... (Other than the MLS junk)

Bars92
07-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Lawrie Sanchez - All Red Army!!

Cas87
07-27-2009, 01:40 PM
John Carver?

Yohan
07-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Even the best of managers would explode trying to figure out byzantine MLS rules. So unless the foreign manager has previous MLS experience, or is known to be highly adaptable and quick learner, I wouldn't go sign a foreign coach.
Unless, you have a GM who knows MLS very well, and can teach the coach effectively.
I think Guus Hiddink would do well in MLS. He's used to working with limited resources and produce results all over the world.

Sigi Schmid, Steve Nicol and Dominic Kinnear are 3 best coaches in MLS. They understand MLS, and they get max out of their players. You can see by how well organized their team is on any game day.

Yallop... I dunno. He's been around, but his last 3 years have been rather shambolic.

Another coach that is surprising me is that pompous arse Bruce Arena. He may have a bigger ego than Donovan, but he's getting max out of his team.

Another person I'd like to see in a manager role in future is Steve Ralston when he retires. That man knows football.

Jay P
07-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Even the best of managers would explode trying to figure out byzantine MLS rules. So unless the foreign manager has previous MLS experience, or is known to be highly adaptable and quick learner, I wouldn't go sign a foreign coach.
Unless, you have a GM who knows MLS very well, and can teach the coach effectively.
I think Guus Hiddink would do well in MLS. He's used to working with limited resources and produce results all over the world.

Sigi Schmid, Steve Nicol and Dominic Kinnear are 3 best coaches in MLS. They understand MLS, and they get max out of their players. You can see by how well organized their team is on any game day.

Yallop... I dunno. He's been around, but his last 3 years have been rather shambolic.

Another coach that is surprising me is that pompous arse Bruce Arena. He may have a bigger ego than Donovan, but he's getting max out of his team.

Another person I'd like to see in a manager role in future is Steve Ralston when he retires. That man knows football.

i'd give yallop some slack, he had to deal with the galaxy and an expansion quake team... i'd like to think if given the proper time in san jose, he'll build a decent team.

Bruce Arena had success with DCU in the early days of MLS, i'd like to say he can manage with the best of em in MLS, but his stint with RBNY wasn't impressive.

Mind you, the Galaxy are playing well under him, so we'll see i guess.

Yohan
07-27-2009, 02:19 PM
i'd give yallop some slack, he had to deal with the galaxy and an expansion quake team... i'd like to think if given the proper time in san jose, he'll build a decent team.

I'm seriously doubting whether Quakes MLS Cup winning season is all Yallop, or all Kinnear (who was Yallop's assistant)

Yallop is still scrambling to find some sort of stable first 11... and 2/3 of the season is gone pretty much. Not been impressed with Yallop in MLS last 3 years

prizby
07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
first name that came to mind before a quickly forgot it, for me was

Sven Goran Eriksson

CoachGT
07-27-2009, 02:41 PM
I vote for CoachGT.

First thing I'd do is cut the price of beer......:drinking:

yellowfellow
07-27-2009, 02:42 PM
King Dave

Belfast_Boy
07-27-2009, 02:42 PM
first name that came to mind before a quickly forgot it, for me was

Sven Goran Eriksson

THIS GUY????

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00782/Sven_Goran_Eriksson_782946a.jpg

Ladies Love Julius James
07-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Shearer :D

Belfast_Boy
07-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Shearer :D

poor bastard, the only coach that's better than most of his players!

jloome
07-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Jury's still out on Cummins but Paul Mariner would be a good alternative.

prizby
07-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Mark67 no, not some doll

Shakes McQueen
07-27-2009, 03:30 PM
If I could get anyone, and we were still operating under a cap? I'd absolutely take Arsene Wenger in a millisecond.

He'd be able to find a team of young superstars and fit them all under the meager cap, and then sell them in their prime, which would net us millions in allocation space. :D

- Scott

The Kingpin
07-27-2009, 03:37 PM

Another reason why the MLS needs to standardise itself with the rest of the planet.

Lennon
07-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Guus Hiddink

He wins wherever he goes and would probably be able to adapt to MLS without a problem ...