PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , july,27

denime
07-27-2009, 05:31 AM
Mornin,

TFC gearing up for Puerto Rico
Players try to shake off disappointment of loss in Columbus by focusing on Champions League
Daniel Girard
COLUMBUS, Ohio–About the only positive thing coming out of Toronto FC's heartbreaking loss Saturday night is that the players have little time to dwell on it.
After surrendering two goals in the final 15 minutes, including the decisive one in injury time of a 3-2 loss to the Columbus Crew, the team took an overnight bus trip to Toronto.

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/672187)

A turning point
Gerry Dobson
There are certain matches over the course of a campaign that can make or break a season -- turning points if you will. Matches we recall that either kick-started a playoff drive or began a downward spiral from which there is no recovery.
If Toronto FC fail to make the playoffs, we'll very likely look back at Saturday night's meltdown in Columbus as one of those matches. In a long list of tough losses over the scant history of the club, this one stands at the top.

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/07/26/dobson_tfc_columbus/)

MLS contenders and pretenders
By GARETH WHEELER (gareth.wheeler@suntv.canoe.ca)
The de facto halfway point of the Major League Soccer season is here, with the all-star game taking place in Salt Lake City on Wednesday.
So let the stretch drive for the playoffs begin.
MLS changed its playoff format for 2009, with the top two teams from each conference making the post-season, as well as the next four best teams, regardless of what conference they play in.
Aside from the embarrassingly bad New York Red Bulls, the San Jose Earthquakes and FC Dallas, the 12 other teams all are in the mix.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/07/27/10272461-sun.html)

2 Canadians make Gold Cup all-star team
The Canadian Press
Canada midfielder Julian de Guzman and defender Mike Klukowski have been named to soccer's 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup all-tournament team.
The most valuable player of the 2007 Gold Cup, de Guzman's play in midfield earned the Toronto native a second straight all-tournament selection.
Meanwhile, Klukowski was a big part of a Canadian defence that allowed just three goals over four games.

Read More (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/07/26/sp-gold-cup-all-star.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

onemanbarmyarmy
07-27-2009, 05:32 AM
First! mornin!

Chevy
07-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Does anybody think that Dobson himself is the turning point? It seems that whenever he speculates on the winner (by listing the "future" table standings, trillium cup winner, etc) we give up a goal (or two).

Note to Gerry - We know how many points we have and how the Trillium cup is decided! Just call the friggin' game!

CoachGT
07-27-2009, 07:56 AM
I was disappointed in the announcing on Saturday - made me appreciate Nigel all that much more.

I'm not sure that this was a turning point, but it does lead to more questions. Are we as "fit" as we think we are? Or is it a lack of late game focus (meaning a lack of mental strength) that hurts us? We just seem to continue to give up late goals.

Belfast_Boy
07-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I was disappointed in the announcing on Saturday - made me appreciate Nigel all that much more.

I'm not sure that this was a turning point, but it does lead to more questions. Are we as "fit" as we think we are? Or is it a lack of late game focus (meaning a lack of mental strength) that hurts us? We just seem to continue to give up late goals.

agreed! I've started watching games with the sound off.

I've been walking around like a bear with a sore ass for the last couple of days. I think that was our game to win.

Nuvinho
07-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Gerry's comments:

"1st win in Columbus" - about 10 times
"TFC will win the Trillium Cup" - about 12 times
"1st in the East, tied with Chicago" - about 6 to 8 times

Ageroo
07-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Gerry's comments:

I am now glad I was watching this online and was not subjected to Gerry! :)

Mikey
07-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Trade Dobson Now!!! :d

flatpicker
07-27-2009, 08:57 AM
as far as SSG's go, today's is pretty darn good!

now they'll probably ruin it tomorrow with Gerry Dobson as SSG!

Stouffville_RPB
07-27-2009, 08:59 AM
as far as SSG's go, today's is pretty darn good!

now they'll probably ruin it tomorrow with Gerry Dobson as SSG!

Better than any girl from last week.

werewolf
07-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Gerry's comments:

You forgot to mention "if the score is tied 1-1, the tiebreaker will come down to disciplinary points."

billyfly
07-27-2009, 09:03 AM
I can still see Marvell Wynne putting both hands on his head after his marking put in that 3rd goal.

Redcoe15
07-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Did anybody post a comment to Gerry telling him how much he sucked in KKKolumbus? I know I did!

Beach_Red
07-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I can still see Marvell Wynne putting both hands on his head after his marking put in that 3rd goal.

I have decided to only remember Marvell's pass for the goal.

And what made all of Dobson's remarks about the outcome of the game during the game so much worse was that he was talking about the game!!!

scooter
07-27-2009, 11:25 AM
mornin d

rocker
07-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Does anybody think that Dobson himself is the turning point?

ya, dobson is the turning point. Remember during the Montreal game, he was really fucking skeptical in the pregame.. very negative... sad even, as if the result was a foregone conclusion. even when TFC scored the first few goals he was like "well, they have so much work to do, they still need another X number of goals". And what happens? TFC keeps scoring. He played down our chances and we won big time.

This time, he basically calls it a win before it's over and look what happens! sheesh!

:picard:

Aside from Montreal, some of the absolute worst TFC performances have been broadcast by Gerry and Craig. I have bad emotional association with that channel.
Some of the best performances have been broadcast by Nigel.... and when CBC comes on with TFC I feel good, I feel reassured. :)

greatwhitenorf
07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
At least Dobson goes out and writes a decent piece on what the game meant. Gareth Wheeler's article is kinda lame.

Gerry's problem is he's not psychic. A more psychic announcer would not only get the score right, he'd stick a megaphone out the booth and tell Marvell Wynne to watch for the curling cross to the back post two minutes from full time.

TFC are cheaping out on us and should hire one of the good psychic announcers at ESP Network.