PDA

View Full Version : De Guzman talks break down !

anto7
07-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I think this is worthy of a new thread. According to The Score talks between TFC and Julian De Guzman have broken down after TFC refused to agree to yet another extention. Perhaps it is time for Julian to piss or get off the pot !

Sources have told The Score that talks between Julian De Guzman and Toronto FC have broken down, and that as it stands on Sunday night, the midfielder will not be joining the club as its Designated Player....

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/07/26/22051.aspx

James Sharman

wzhxvy
07-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Ouch on one front and fantastic on the other. It was time for TFC to put the squeeze on...now JDG is in a tough spot and needs to decide. These extensions were nothing but an attempt to wait to see if he can get a reasonable deal in Europe. Further extensions would not have helped TFC.

I just hope for his sake, he knows what he is doing because he will not get anything remotely close in Europe. I know he loves Spain bla bla (read the chicks) and the quality of soccer...but he is also 28. This is a HUGE gamble on his part...one that I would never make.

Nuvinho
07-26-2009, 08:44 PM
I am glad that Toronto FC did not extend the deadline. I think he had enough time.

Roogsy
07-26-2009, 08:47 PM
The truth is that TFC realized the game JDG was playing. JDG was perfectly in his right to try it, but just the same TFC has the right to put an end to the charade. The rumoured offer is good enough for JDG to make a decision one way or the other. To continue using it as leverage against European teams is not what TFC wants.

FluSH
07-26-2009, 08:48 PM
I edited your post... to include the source. Since it is a worthy break of news...

SilverSamurai
07-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Sad that JDG isn't coming over, but also glad this is over and both parties can move on.
Hopefully JDG will 1 day be a red.

Redpunkfiddle
07-26-2009, 08:52 PM
The blog has been updated to day they believe that the deal is officially off- due to TFC refusing to extend their deadline.

I too feel fine with this. The time is up.

FluSH
07-26-2009, 08:54 PM
The blog has been updated to day they believe that the deal is officially off- due to TFC refusing to extend their deadline.

I too feel fine with this. The time is up.

YES!

LIj4RqH43GY

anto7
07-26-2009, 09:00 PM
I edited your post... to include the source. Since it is a worthy break of news...
No problem, thanks

billyfly
07-26-2009, 09:11 PM
I am of 2 minds on this like most of us. Wanted him but not at any price and not with all these games being played.

Shakes McQueen
07-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Yep, I thought it was reasonable to give him some time after the Gold Cup, so I thought the original extension was fine. But if he's now asking for another one, it's clear he's just using us for leverage, and as a backup in the event he can't find anything acceptable - but that could drag on forever.

I hope Julian has something else lined up, that is to his liking (both in terms of location, and pay grade), because if he doesn't, he could end up cursing himself for turning all of that money down.

And if he does, I hope it's in the advanced stage, because he just lost our inflated offer to use in negotiations.

Of course, still hoping this isn't true, and perhaps he will sign for us. I need something more official than James Sharman's unnamed sources before my hope is completely snuffed out.

- Scott

Roogsy
07-26-2009, 09:13 PM
The Score has pretty good sources. Their rumours have turned out to be more accurate than not. I tend to believe what comes from the Score.

mighty_torontofc_2008
07-26-2009, 09:14 PM
JDG to quote a TFC chant and a famous TO tv spot

who are ya,,,who are ya...

NOBODDDY!!!

Cashcleaner
07-26-2009, 09:17 PM
M'eh. It wasn't a deal I was over the moon with anyways. We're gonna be looking good once Gerba starts gelling with the roster we have already. We're a fairly complete team as it is.

Super
07-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Oh well. I'm disappointed, but at least now we can move onwards and put this JDG business to rest for a couple of years. Hopefully Mo has his sights on another player. We need all the help we can get to get us in the play-offs. As much as I hate the idea of signing a DP CB it may be what we need more than anything right now.

flatpicker
07-26-2009, 09:22 PM
well, obviously he would have been a good player to have on Toronto,
but I will be happy to have this behind us.

Shakes McQueen
07-26-2009, 09:22 PM
M'eh. IT wasn't a deal I was over the moon with anyways. We're gonna be looking good once Gerba starts gelling with the roster we have already. We're a fairly complete team as it is.

I think we will be a more complete team, once Cronin is back. We need more defensive presence in our midfield.

Still, would have been great to see this team with JDG's offensive and defensive quality running the center of the pitch.

Looks like he will be another geriatric signing for us 10 years from now, if at all.

- Scott

HOGAN
07-26-2009, 09:36 PM
The teams doesnt need JDG.

They need guys who can finish consistently, not named De Rosario.

Too much trash is being talked about the defence. Once the JDG dark cloud ceases to hover over the team (including the players who will be adversely affected) the boys can move on.

This team has potential, but injuries, international duties and potential/completed transactions have hurt its consistency.

Roogsy
07-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I think we will be a more complete team, once Cronin is back. We need more defensive presence in our midfield.

Still, would have been great to see this team with JDG's offensive and defensive quality running the center of the pitch.

Looks like he will be another geriatric signing for us 10 years from now, if at all.

- Scott

Agreed. We really could've used Cronin yesterday.

Yohan
07-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Agreed. We really could've used Cronin yesterday.
well. at least he'd be well rested for wed game, unlike rest of the squad

i'm ok with JDG talk broken up. it was getting to the point that TFC was sounding needy for JDG's services

andyc
07-26-2009, 09:54 PM
I was thinking that we really could have used JDG last night...

I was never big on this deal since I thought we needed more offensive strength, but given JDGs ability to play the DM role to such effect we would likely have ended up with 3 points...

With his experience and knowledge falling back to a defensive roll with 15 mins to go, we would have shut the door on those Columbus wankers...

Darlofletch
07-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Probably for the best that it's over, but I'd still like him to have come here. If he was playing for us yesterday, no way we'd have been so overrun in midfield and we could have held on for at least the draw, probably a win. That was exactly the sort of situation where he would have made a big difference.

Hopefully there's someone else decent lined up, or at the very least some serviceable bench players to fill out our roster.

edit: bah, beaten to it by two minutes.

andyc
07-26-2009, 09:59 PM
^ Wise words!

:D

Shakes McQueen
07-26-2009, 10:00 PM
According to Sharman, "sources" told him that the club has other options, although none of them involve the DP slot. I'll be interested to see what happens now.

UPGRADE THE DEFENSE, MO.

- Scott

sampace
07-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Time to go to the back up plan, SANDRO GRANDE! The conspiracy is written, Sandro put on a show in order to be released. He wants to play for TFC! Way to go Sandro, and welcome to Toronto!

backbeat
07-26-2009, 10:15 PM
if this is true than thank god - this has gone on FAR too long

as much as i would have loved to see JDG in TFC red :scarf: it is time to move on

we have important games going by really fast and need to beef up the team - especially a strong CB

good luck JDG see you (maybe) in 5 yrs or so at a far lower offer

and if you're not TFC red....well

YOU ARE YA???

Corpand
07-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Finally. Now time to speculate on people who actually wanna play for the club today, not in a few year's time.

Whoop
07-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Get an extra defender if only for depth purposes.

twistedchinaman
07-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Finally. All of this nonsense can finally end. Hope you actually found that golden parachute Julian, because you're in free fall already.

A defender and Terry Cooke, and we're done.

Cas87
07-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Now we move to our next objective ... MICHEAL OWEN!!!
wait ....
FUCK, we missed out on him too :picard:

Stryker
07-26-2009, 11:03 PM
I think JDG is an amazing player but I'm glad to see this deal scuttled.
For one I don't care for JDG's camps tactics throughout this affair.
From an outsiders perspective I feel they've been somewhat disrespectful to our organization. Secondly I perfer Mo to be the aggressor in any deal where one side is clearly going to be put over a table and sodomized.

Super
07-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Now we move to our next objective ... MICHEAL OWEN!!!
wait ....
FUCK, we missed out on him too :picard:

I'm sure he's quite content at Manchester United right now, though ;)

Steve
07-27-2009, 07:20 AM
As much as I would have liked JDG to come here, it was obvious he was just playing games with the extensions. TFC needs a key player now to make a playoff push, not in a few months when JDG finally decides other offers are lacking. So, good on ya Mo for having the balls to stand up to a potential superstar like that and declare enough, enough. Now you can move on to your plan B (I hope you have a plan B...).

Pigfynn
07-27-2009, 09:32 AM
So the talks have "broken down" until JDG at ANY point says.....ok I'll sign.

Then we do whatever he wants :)

VoxPopuliCosmicum
07-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Time to go to the back up plan, SANDRO GRANDE! The conspiracy is written, Sandro put on a show in order to be released. He wants to play for TFC! Way to go Sandro, and welcome to Toronto!

Are you the Sandro Grande version of Dave from Newcastle? ("Is it Ameobi, like?")

Steve
07-27-2009, 09:41 AM
So the talks have "broken down" until JDG at ANY point says.....ok I'll sign.

Then we do whatever he wants :)

Not necessarily. I mean, sure, if JDG comes back tomorrow and says "ok" then we'll probably sign him, but what if he comes back in two weeks, after we have already filled roster spots/cap space? In that case, Mo would have to create enough cap space to slot him in, by trading a player. If no one wants to take any or our players, or Mo doesn't think that disrupting team chemistry, or getting rid of a core player, is worth the risk (since the rumour is that JDG's contract has tons of "get out of jail free" clauses) it won't happen.

Essentially, Mo did the right thing. He can only hold the door open (meaning roster and cap space) for so long before using it on someone else. In this league, you can't just save that space for a player that isn't likely to come, so you have to put an end date on it.

C.Ronaldo
07-27-2009, 10:09 AM
this guy must be drinking his own kool aid if he thinks hes gona get a better offer

parrott114
07-27-2009, 10:13 AM
looks like it is officially off,

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/07/26/22051.aspx

Pookie
07-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Happy to see this come a conclusion.

An offer of a couple of million dollars to play soccer in your home country shouldn't require this much "decision time."

It's either a yes or a no.

Obviously, he is interested in Europe. And that's great. Europe means less money, so be it.

Go with your principles. If playing in Europe means more to you as a professional athlete, go for it.

But don't use the club (and players) that are offering you an alternative as leverage.

Hats off to Mo for putting a "cap" on this.

deltox
07-27-2009, 10:35 AM
MLSE has a crap load of money. We should always have a DP on the team.

if its not JDG, it should be someone else.

VPjr
07-27-2009, 10:39 AM
this guy must be drinking his own kool aid if he thinks hes gona get a better offer

Julian doesn't believe that he will get a better offer financially. He's not deluded. Obviously he would hope to leverage the TFC offer to get the best possible offer from a club in Europe but it is very unlikely that anyone in Europe is going to shell out the kind of money TFC offered.

I can understand some people being somewhat bitter about Julian "rejecting" TFC but its my view that Julian was very consistent from the beginning.

He stated over and over that the TFC offer was flattering, he had to give it serious consideration but playing in MLS for TFC at this point in his career was not what he envisioned as his next move.

From a pure businss standpoint, Julian is making a strange decision but from a personal standpoint, he's doing what he believes is right for him. I agree that he is better off in Europe.

If, one day, he decides he wants to end his career with TFC, the money that was offered now likely won't be there. But that is his choice to make.

sampace
07-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Gooe let's end this thread and start the Sandro Grande thread, right after they trade away Robo for money allocation/draft pick. Then they can pick up Sandro for less money and bank the savings for defensive help!

VPjr
07-27-2009, 10:55 AM
MLSE has a crap load of money. We should always have a DP on the team.

if its not JDG, it should be someone else.

agreed. Mo's logic that the DP must be a younger guy is a load of crap.

There are plenty of high quality players that, if thrown the kind of money that they were willing to give Julian, would come to TFC to play out the last couple of years of their career.

deltox
07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
a DP sigining is a good way for ownership to show how commited they are to the team.

third yr in......its time to get one...and to always have one.

a few million every yr for one guy is pennies to this company but it would mean a lot to us.

Stryker
07-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we had had a new player signed in the next 48 hours.
I'm not entirely convinced that the JDG deal was pulled simply to save face.

sampace
07-27-2009, 11:19 AM
MLS Rumors don't mention anyone coming to TFC Stryker, usually where there is smoke there is fire, and it doesn't look like Mo Johnston is doing much. I'd love to see Garcia packaged with Robinson to L.A. for a years supply of Rice a RonI!

Pookie
07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
a few million every yr for one guy is pennies to this company but it would mean a lot to us.

Remember that when they come after your few pennies with the ticket price hike necessary to offset their new million dollar expense.

Beach_Red
07-27-2009, 11:28 AM
agreed. Mo's logic that the DP must be a younger guy is a load of crap.

There are plenty of high quality players that, if thrown the kind of money that they were willing to give Julian, would come to TFC to play out the last couple of years of their career.

Yeah, we could have gotten Ljundberg, I guess. I expected Seattle to get a bigger name to put on the back of those xbox shirts, I wonder who else they talked to.

I think the DP rule is stupid, but as long as it's there I'd like to ue it.

Still, I can't help feeling it devalues the team to have to overpay someone so much to come here. Especially someone at the end of their career.

Bobo
07-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Good to see. Means TFC have other things on the table (or at least willing to try). A little bit disappointed in Julian but I'll still welcome our prodigal son with open arms in a couple years.

deltox
07-27-2009, 11:31 AM
i know that prices will always go up....no matter who is signed.

my third yr...... prices have gone up every yr.

will prices go up next yr.....YES....with or without a DP.

S_D
07-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Ageroo is going to be shattered lol.

Kind of relieved that JDG talks have gone off of the rail. Would have been nice to have him but if his 415K against the cap (200 this season) means we can get a couple of good players to fill in the holes. If Mo can secure a LB or a left mid (allowing Jimmy B to drop back) and a central defender, as a team I think TFC will be stronger.

Stryker
07-27-2009, 11:34 AM
a few million every yr for one guy is pennies to this company but it would mean a lot to us.Remember though deltox that it's not just about the money. They only get one shot at this DP deal and the only thing worse than no DP is a DP player who's a bust.

deltox
07-27-2009, 11:36 AM
no they only get one DP for the next few yrs...then they go for another one.

its not a permanent thing.

id rather they try for a DP....if the player fails......blame the player.

also dont forget we can always trade for a second DP spot.

Nuvinho
07-27-2009, 11:37 AM
time to move on.......who's next!!

We need 1 STARTING CB, 1 bench defender, and 1 winger........done!

Raging Reggie
07-27-2009, 11:39 AM
MLS Rumors don't mention anyone coming to TFC Stryker, usually where there is smoke there is fire, and it doesn't look like Mo Johnston is doing much. I'd love to see Garcia packaged with Robinson to L.A. for a years supply of Rice a RonI!

Paul Winsper is having none of this!

Oblio2
07-27-2009, 11:39 AM
I dont think it's a good idea to use a DP spot on anything other than a striker.....you need the player to make the fans get excited.

Stryker
07-27-2009, 11:44 AM
no they only get one DP for the next few yrs...then they go for another one.

its not a permanent thing.

id rather they try for a DP....if the player fails......blame the player.

also dont forget we can always trade for a second DP spot.A second DP slot simply doesn't work with the current cap.
Under that senerio you end up with a team made up of two Beckhams who are frustrated by the rest of the team who are made up of USL quality players who can't do a damn thing with the ball.

Dirk Diggler
07-27-2009, 11:45 AM
The Score has pretty good sources. Their rumours have turned out to be more accurate than not. I tend to believe what comes from the Score.

They also said that JDG was 90% coming to Toronto so I don't know ... although this might fall under the remaining 10% :D

But all in all, I'm glad TFC pulled its offer. It'll be interesting to see the contract details when JDG signs with a European team. I bet JDG's agent is the one who is most devastated by this news. All I know is that we better have a continengency planned lined up ... it'll be a huge shame if Mo was certain that JDG would sign and had no one else as his second choice DP.

mmmikey
07-27-2009, 01:40 PM
we lose a game 3-2 and ppl still think scoring is our problem.... *sigh*

worst part about this is now ill have to keep getting pissed at robbo. don't like watching a player who meant so much to the team in the early days fall so far so fast.

if MLS were reluctant to sign JDG as a DP.. we need freakin John Terry, Nesta or Rio Ferdinand to get them to agree to a DP CB.

v00d00daddy
07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
we lose a game 3-2 and ppl still think scoring is our problem.... *sigh*

worst part about this is now ill have to keep getting pissed at robbo. don't like watching a player who meant so much to the team in the early days fall so far so fast.

if MLS were reluctant to sign JDG as a DP.. we need freakin John Terry, Nesta or Rio Ferdinand to get them to agree to a DP CB.

This is what worries me a bit. I doubt very much that TFC will be seeing a DP anytime soon, let alone a defender. I hope I'm wrong.

As for Robbo...meh. He only meant so much to the team in the first two years because of how thin the team was on talent.

His game has changed one bit....it just looks a lot worse next to DeRo and company.

backbeat
07-27-2009, 01:54 PM
as much as i would like this JDG thing done with and we can move on - where, anywhere does it say that?? the link that everyone keeps pointing to is the score link from the 26th, which is not conclusive at all.

it would be really nice to get the 'official' word on this and get on with it!!

Dirk Diggler
07-27-2009, 02:10 PM
This is what worries me a bit. I doubt very much that TFC will be seeing a DP anytime soon, let alone a defender. I hope I'm wrong.

As for Robbo...meh. He only meant so much to the team in the first two years because of how thin the team was on talent.

His game has changed one bit....it just looks a lot worse next to DeRo and company.

Exactly ... Robbo was NEVER good from what I remember of him in the past two seasons ... I honestly do not understand why people continued to believe that he was actually the best player on the team. Even if he was the best player on the team, that should say more about the poor quality of the rest of the squad rather than the alleged good play of Robbo.

scooterTFC
07-27-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm not a footie expert like some of you.
I don't have insider conections like some of you.
But I know a little about business.

I gotta believe that there is some significance to the timing of this whole JDG situation. The JDG rumours heated up after the team won the Nutralite Championship. The deadline to sign him was 3-4 days before the start of the start of the home and home series against the Islanders. I’m willing to bet MLSE execs approved the DP signing after we won the Canadian title contingent on having JDG signed on time for the Islanders series. The business case is simple, strengthen the team to win the qualifying series vs the Islanders and the team gets the extra revenue from the 3 home games in the CCL group stage. Each of those CCL home games is easily worth about $2 million in gate plus concessions. JDG pays for himself he helps the team beat the Islanders. If we beat the Islanders maybe the window for a deal opens again… if we lose then I bet its dead.

wzhxvy
07-27-2009, 11:17 PM

I gotta believe that there is some significance to the timing of this whole JDG situation. The JDG rumours heated up after the team won the Nutralite Championship. The deadline to sign him was 3-4 days before the start of the start of the home and home series against the Islanders. I’m willing to bet MLSE execs approved the DP signing after we won the Canadian title contingent on having JDG signed on time for the Islanders series. The business case is simple, strengthen the team to win the qualifying series vs the Islanders and the team gets the extra revenue from the 3 home games in the CCL group stage. Each of those CCL home games is easily worth about $2 million in gate plus concessions. JDG pays for himself he helps the team beat the Islanders. If we beat the Islanders maybe the window for a deal opens again… if we lose then I bet its dead.

Interesting...maybe. I would think that the $7M deal rumoured definetly included CL advancement...so yeah maybe the two are tied.

I have thought about this more and the more I think of it...the crazier JDG's position is to me. I think I can accept JDG taking a 1 year risk and playing in Europe because that is what he wants to do if TFC had offered him a 1 year deal...but to take a 3 year risk ??? Unless there is a club in Europe offering him more than a 1 year deal, then his decision just boggles my mind...

Beach_Red
07-28-2009, 09:24 AM
^ Wasn't the driving factor behind the timing when JDG was out of contract? TFC can't pay transfer fees so they can only go after players out of contract. Win or lose the Canadian Championship doesn't change when the contract ran out.

That's why Plan B for TFC isn't another DP - there's no Canadian, under-30 out of contract right now. The next target will besomeone who's out of contract next year. Who will that be?

Yohan
07-28-2009, 09:27 AM
^ Wasn't the driving factor behind the timing when JDG was out of contract? TFC can't pay transfer fees so they can only go after players out of contract. Win or lose the Canadian Championship doesn't change when the contract ran out.

That's why Plan B for TFC isn't another DP - there's no Canadian, under-30 out of contract right now. The next target will besomeone who's out of contract next year. Who will that be?
not too late to search for out of contract European players right now.

Chevy
07-28-2009, 09:50 AM

+1. Add to that the stronger possibility of playoff revenue if JDG plays in the second half of the season.

TorCanSoc
07-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm a soccer guy. Not a business guy. But in my few dealings with business deals you can pretty much write anything into it. Everything open and written puts it on the table with respect. Nothing wrong with gentle leverage.

Can't we give him a depreciating offer? Give him the extension, but keep it in his control to decide when to sign. Drop his salary 250K a day until he says either forget it, or lets do it.

I say this because I really like this guy. I think he can bring a lot to the team. I think he can bring DeRo kind of heart and quality.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Ageroo is going to be shattered lol.

Kind of relieved that JDG talks have gone off of the rail. Would have been nice to have him but if his 415K against the cap (200 this season) means we can get a couple of good players to fill in the holes. If Mo can secure a LB or a left mid (allowing Jimmy B to drop back) and a central defender, as a team I think TFC will be stronger.

Ya…time to move on and agree with S_D's comments.

TFC was always an option for JDG but it was a second, third or fourth option. There are 20 or 30 teams in Europe he'd sign with before TFC, if he could…and who can blame him. What I feared was a Beckham scenario…a contract here with an out clause and if he excelled here he's be offski at the first opportunity.

He's a decent player…would have been nice…but obviously he thinks he can still play in Europe…good luck JDG…no hard feelings.

------------------------------

Just a thought, Walter Smith at Rangers felt Edu was worth a shot but JDG is still looking for a club? Not only that…some here would make him a DP? BhoyBobby?

Beach_Red
07-28-2009, 10:11 AM
not too late to search for out of contract European players right now.

It seems like MLSE have set up parameters for DP - Canadian, under 30, etc...

Maybe less money for a non-Canadian DP....

backbeat
07-28-2009, 10:13 AM
i still have yet to hear a definitive NO from JDG or TFC

all everyone points to is the really vague score link which was posted Sunday with no updates since which ends with the equally vague statement of "So that's where we stand as of Sunday night, be sure to check back to The Footy Blog for any further updates. I suspect there will be some more twists to this story."

nothing, absolutely nothing

where is everyone getting this JDG said no for sure shit from??

I would love this to be concluded one way or another but i have yet to see, hear or read it ANYWHERE!! :noidea:

pubboy
07-28-2009, 10:50 AM
It seems like MLSE have set up parameters for DP - Canadian, under 30, etc...

Maybe less money for a non-Canadian DP....

Is this true ? Why would we restrict a DP slot to Canadians only ? Doesnt make any sense to me. Are we saying that if someone like Owen was available (and hadnt joined Man Utd), then we wouldn't have taken him because he's not Canadian ??? :picard:

Derko
07-28-2009, 11:38 AM
This is just tiring, JDG can piss-off,let him come back after he sits on the bench in Europe for a couple of years!!

S_D
07-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Is this true ? Why would we restrict a DP slot to Canadians only ? Doesnt make any sense to me. Are we saying that if someone like Owen was available (and hadnt joined Man Utd), then we wouldn't have taken him because he's not Canadian ??? :picard:

A Canadian DP is much more valuable to TFC. It gives us a domestic and leaves a foreign slot open.

Canadians come at a premium, and lets face it, there are a lot more foreigners out there to chose from who may be able to play at a price that is affordable under the cap.

Monk
07-28-2009, 03:46 PM
he he he.

scooter
07-28-2009, 04:02 PM
ever heard the expression dont put all your eggs in one basket

i say pass its to much money for one player and if he gets hurt we are sunk
lets wait till he's 30 and he will play here for $ 400,000
cant believe he is passing up playing for tfc he would make even more dough on
endorsements and advertising

anto7
08-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Sorry for bringing this thread up again but has anyone heard anything about De Guzman lately ?. I watched the Cummins interview on Fox Sports World last night and he stated that the offer is still on the table but for now De Guzman does not want to come here. I read the BBC and Sky Sports rumours every day and I have never seen any comment about De Guzman. He is not listed on the Deportivo roster so it sure looks like he is without a club at the moment. EPL starts tomorrow, La Liga in a couple of weeks yet no apparent interest in him. Does this mean that there is still a remote possibility that he could come here ?.
Anyone in the know who has any info please bring us up to date.

The Pope
08-13-2009, 09:44 AM
VPjr suggested that Espanyol were thinking of signing him

anto7
08-13-2009, 09:50 AM
VPjr suggested that Espanyol were thinking of signing him
Could be but I have not heard anything about this. I have an application on my Ipod called "iFooty World" which amongst other things gives news about all the world's leagues, I have been checking La Liga news every day for the past 3 weeks and not a mention of De Guzman.

Daveisonfire
08-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Could be but I have not heard anything about this. I have an application on my Ipod called "iFooty World" which amongst other things gives news about all the world's leagues, I have been checking La Liga news every day for the past 3 weeks and not a mention of De Guzman.

James Sharman reported it on The Footy Blog:

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/08/07/22878.aspx

anto7
08-13-2009, 10:03 AM
James Sharman reported it on The Footy Blog:

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/08/07/22878.aspx
Thanks

Billy the kid
08-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Another article suggesting the coach from Espanyol wants him. Interesting, it's taking this long. I wonder if money is a sticking point.

http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=40736

VPjr
08-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Another article suggesting the coach from Espanyol wants him. Interesting, it's taking this long. I wonder if money is a sticking point.

http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=40736

There are a couple of factors:

a) term of contract. JDG would like a little more security than simply a 1 year deal.

b) the sudden death of Espanyol's captain Jarque last week has put everything on hold at the club.