PDA

View Full Version : Was last night game the most heartbreaking game in TFC history ?

TFC RealDeal RPB
07-26-2009, 07:56 AM
For me that was the most heartbreaking loss in TFC history, we let the Crew go top of the east with a goal in the 92 min

just heartbreaking

anyony else feel like that ?

edit: It sould be MLS loss in history

Kickit09
07-26-2009, 08:01 AM
"The squad is good enough." - Mo Johnston

werewolf
07-26-2009, 08:08 AM
you forgot to mention they also set a MLS record of being unbeaten at home, which includes us taking their stadium over in that run, when we are supposed to be a tough stadium to play.

Red Adder
07-26-2009, 08:14 AM
tough, tough loss, so late in the game, esp. with Crew missing some key players

MrHawk
07-26-2009, 08:30 AM
July.1.08 vs Vancouver
July.22.08 vs Montreal

Those 2 games far surpass anything so far (In my eyes)

Edit: Put in proper date.

Mikey
07-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Not sure what all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is about. They've been shit for three years.

Brooker
07-26-2009, 08:56 AM
is this the most heartbreaking game in TFC history?

if so I take it you weren't at BMO to see Montreal lift the V.Cup.

but this one still stings.

Beach_Red
07-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Not sure what all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is about. They've been shit for three years.

Do you really think there's been no change in the two and half years the team has been playing?

Mikey
07-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Do you really think there's been no change in the two and half years the team has been playing?

Marginal at best, nothing consistant.

Brooker
07-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Marginal at best, nothing consistant.

who Jim Brennan? lol

Beach_Red
07-26-2009, 09:10 AM
I'd like to see what this team could do with a coach with MLS experience/success.

wzhxvy
07-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Losing 2-0 to Vancouver this year was the worst game for me...It was a new extremely high level of frustration for me. Last night was bad dont get me wrong...just not that bad.

rocker
07-26-2009, 09:21 AM
the Montreal tie with them dancing on our field was the worst ever for me.
I went down and was heckling braz and jordan as they celebrated.

werewolf
07-26-2009, 09:27 AM
out of league games, this has to be near the top.

TheRenter
07-26-2009, 09:37 AM

seconded. next to that loss, this one really made me sick.....and f'n pissed!!:hulk:

Pinkie
07-26-2009, 09:41 AM
July.22.08 vs Montreal

now THAT..that was fucking heartbreak-having this team of douchebags lift the v.cup in our stadium-i will never forget that...

last night was annoying, frustrating and a piss poor showing from our backline-but i would CERTAINLY not qualify it as our most heartbreaking game in our (young) history

bhoybobby
07-26-2009, 09:44 AM
"The squad is good enough." - Mo Johnston

Maybe when all fit.

I doubt Velez, or Wynne would be starters on many mls teams.

Robbo's passing is in serious decline, God help us if we're expecting muscle bound Ali to do it, he requires great service, he cannot turn is a bit of a lumbering locomotive.

A decent team will nullify him, he has no real movement. He'll get the odd tap in, like last night, but not what's required.

TFC RealDeal RPB
07-26-2009, 09:53 AM

I was there and that was hard but this game was killer to loss in the 92 min to the Crew, a team we had down and they were playin a few of there B players. So for me this is the one that takes it for me.

I can't stand the Crew and the HSH they make me sick. Did u hear there chant's lastnight ? sounded like our song book

Bobo
07-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Maybe when all fit.

I doubt Velez, or Wynne would be starters on many mls teams.

Robbo's passing is in serious decline, God help us if we're expecting muscle bound Ali to do it, he requires great service, he cannot turn is a bit of a lumbering locomotive.

A decent team will nullify him, he has no real movement. He'll get the odd tap in, like last night, but not what's required.

Gerba may not be all he's being made out to be, but he manages to put the ball in the back of the net regularly. And being the MLS, putting an ox out there as forward isn't such a bad idea. A lot of ugly goals around these parts. Have to give him credit for being in a few nice passing plays too.

This game was a tough one. Was supposed to party at Philthy's so I thought I'd catch the game there, needless to say I wasn't in the party mood after. I can't recall ever watching a game at a bar where they've won....

Raging Reggie
07-26-2009, 10:16 AM
To be true to the question of this poll i would say yes. I could think of some other loses that were bad but i was more angry and fustrated. Last night game was very heartbreaking to basically play so well, seem to have the game and let it just slip away in that fashion i would say its probably the most heartbreaking for sure.

I cant say the montreal game because yes, we lost the cup at home, but the game was a 1-1 draw and not a loss ;)

CoachGT
07-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Most heartbreaking MLS loss? I'm not sure that it was topped by the game in Dallas last year - not a loss, but sure felt like it.

Glad to see the edit, because the Montreal game in Toronto last year was the most gut-wrenching loss I've experienced with this team!

TFC RealDeal RPB
07-26-2009, 10:22 AM
I cant say the montreal game because yes, we lost the cup at home, but the game was a 1-1 draw and not a loss ;)

+1 That's right , lastnight game was such a hard loss and i HATE the crew maybe even more that montreal.

Redcoe15
07-26-2009, 10:57 AM
In an MLS match? Yes. Overall, the tie against Montreal last year that had the Impact parading the Voyageurs Cup around BMO Field was the worst.

Bobo
07-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Going through this thread on my computer in front of my window, with rain coming through....I feel like jumping out of it.

Here's something that might lighten the mood.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9285/3387277873d50c2862d1.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/i/3387277873d50c2862d1.jpg/)

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4453/33951759347f685f9ffc.jpg (http://img146.imageshack.us/i/33951759347f685f9ffc.jpg/)

Oh and people, ya that Montreal game last year was terrible but I think it was made up for pretty nicely a year later. Bad things are coming for the ugly yellow football team!

billyfly
07-26-2009, 11:12 AM
10 goals in last 15 minutes of games including the 2 last night.

Pachuco
07-26-2009, 11:21 AM
July.1.08 vs Vancouver
July.22.08 vs Montreal

Those 2 games far surpass anything so far (In my eyes)

Edit: Put in proper date.

Agreed. That was by far the most heartbraking. People are blowing this one way out of proportion.

billyfly
07-26-2009, 11:27 AM
^ The thing with last night is with that one goal in extra time (that was preventable with proper marking) the Crew:

1-knocked us out of a playoff spot
2-remained unbeaten against us
3-set MLS record of unbeaten at home
4-took over 1st place in Conference
5-won the Trillium Cup

That's a lot of sh*t with 1 measly goal.

Stryker
07-26-2009, 11:37 AM
It was for me.
We handed our most hated rivals 3 points in a tight race, a league record, the top of the table, and a trophy which gives them bragging rights for the season series againest us and maintained Columbuses ability to say we've never beat them. Doesn't get much worse than that.

AL-MO
07-26-2009, 12:02 PM
I have been present for a few heart breaking losses.

Montreal last year has to top it.

I was also there in DC last year when we were up 2-0. Only to lose that lead later in the game.

Kevin
07-26-2009, 12:34 PM
..... this one really made me sick.....and f'n pissed!!:hulk:

Exactly.

rocker
07-26-2009, 12:45 PM
I have been present for a few heart breaking losses.

Montreal last year has to top it.

Exactly.

AL-MO
07-26-2009, 12:51 PM
WELL....we didn't LOSE in that game, but we LOST the V-cup, so I guess that counts :D

werewolf
07-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I was also there in DC last year when we were up 2-0. Only to lose that lead later in the game.

+ LA in '07 & Chicago in '08, though we never led in those games.

prizby
07-26-2009, 04:26 PM
the most heart breaking game for me (post-game) was the 2-0 loss to vancouver

Shakes McQueen
07-26-2009, 05:06 PM
A little dramatic, no? The most heartbreaking loss in our history?!

We've had tons of last minute stoppage time losses and draws. Unless you're talking about the fact that we lost the revered Trillium Cup (!!)

The draw at home to Montreal last season absolutely tops last night, a million times over. And the 3-0 loss to Vancouver this year was horribly disappointing at the time too, although it worked out in the end.

- Scott

TFC RealDeal RPB
07-26-2009, 05:15 PM
^^ I'm meant MLS loss, i can't stand the Crew and to loss in the 92 min just top's it for me.

trane
07-26-2009, 05:24 PM
I voted NO. But it was very disapointing on the defensive side. I acctualy think the very first goal was the worst blunder. Three of our players were on the ground for no particular reason.

ExiledRed
07-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I was heartbroken that Vitti hit the upright,

a vaginal pubic hair to the left and that may have been the goal of the season.

BuSaPuNk
07-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I was heartbroken that Vitti hit the upright,

a vaginal pubic hair to the left and that may have been the goal of the season.

That is so true.

This is just such a fucking hard pill to swallow. The referee was especially all over the place last night with his calls. Which set the shitty mood for the enitre game.....fuck i'm still pissed as shit.

colman1860
07-26-2009, 06:23 PM
That is so true.

This is just such a fucking hard pill to swallow. The referee was especially all over the place last night with his calls. Which set the shitty mood for the enitre game.....fuck i'm still pissed as shit.

Don't think you can blame the ref - I think we were actually lucky that he didn't award columbus a penalty in the first half when serioux took down their forward in the box (I forget who it was). We were also very lucky on an offside call in the second half, where it looked like Wynne was playing their striker onside. The only call that I thought was against us was Padula's caution in the first half - studs up, right below Barrett's knee. In my opinion, that's serious foul play = dismissal.

Yohan
07-26-2009, 06:42 PM
^not to mention Serioux and Robbo both had tackles from behind that didn't even whiff the ball. both could have been sent off, and refs have sent players off for fouls like that

Roogsy
07-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Don't think you can blame the ref - I think we were actually lucky that he didn't award columbus a penalty in the first half when serioux took down their forward in the box (I forget who it was). We were also very lucky on an offside call in the second half, where it looked like Wynne was playing their striker onside. The only call that I thought was against us was Padula's caution in the first half - studs up, right below Barrett's knee. In my opinion, that's serious foul play = dismissal.

I agree. Not to say the ref wasn't crap. He was. But it wasn't the ref that influenced the outcome of the game.

TFC took care of that all on their own.

scooter
07-26-2009, 07:32 PM
no that totally sucked
scored 2 goals in stylish fashion and the gave it up in the last few minutes
f..f...f..f....

Canadian Blue
07-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Marvell Wynne's crap defending and lack of understanding for the game exposed once again.......sell/trade this guy while we can still get something for him

zamperina
07-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Marvell Wynne's crap defending and lack of understanding for the game exposed once again.......sell/trade this guy while we can still get something for him

Its too bad he didn't go to Europe...Would have been a blessing in disguise!

Daveisonfire
07-26-2009, 11:35 PM

This

ensco
07-27-2009, 07:31 AM
What's heartbreaking is that we've lost about 8 games over the last year and a half in the last minutes, and only won 1 that I can remember (at LA last year).

Shep
07-27-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm gutted, been feeling like shit since that second goal they brought back.

It comes with the territory, giving your heart to a club guarantees heartbreak at some point, but when it does come, it's hard to take. The next win becomes all the more important.

Steve
07-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Most heartbreaking games for me were the Montreal tie last year to lose the cup, and the Vancouver loss this year (despite the fact we went on to win, I was still most heartbroken by that loss since I assumed it was over for us).

koryo
07-27-2009, 08:51 AM
A jagged pill indeed but look at it this way: a year ago we would have been surprised to earn a point on the road against Columbus. Now we're (rightfully) pissed that we didn't take all three.

If there's a silver lining, I'd say that's it.

Hitcho
07-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Most heartbreaking MLS loss? I'm not sure that it was topped by the game in Dallas last year - not a loss, but sure felt like it.

This was my response when I saw the thread title too. The Dallas game takes it for me, because it effectively killed our play off chances and it was such an unfair way for us to to drop the points. Last night we were undone by our own poor defending, not a tragically shit refereeing decision.

Besides, to be heartbreaking there has to be something at stake, otherwise it's just disappointing. The Dallas game cost us the play offs in season two. Sat night, hopefully, hasn't cost us anything other than some pride and some crappy made up cup that no-one really gives a shit about. We may even come back stronger from the experience, although I'm not holding my breath wioth our depleted roster size...

VPjr
07-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I'd like to see what this team could do with a coach with any significant head coaching experience/success.

fixed your post

Beach_Red
07-27-2009, 03:02 PM
fixed your post

Ha, thanks.

But seriously I think one of the biggest mistakes we make is to treat this league like any other. The managing and coaching "challenges" here are unique to this league so success in another league wouldn't mean much here. We've seen some big names get frustrated and go home pretty quickly and we've seen some success from guys out of NCAA - no other league in the world would have hired them, would they?

TFCinVANCOUVER
07-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Losing 2-0 to Vancouver this year was the worst game for me...It was a new extremely high level of frustration for me. Last night was bad dont get me wrong...just not that bad.

I agree! I was at that game and to see the Vancouver fans run on the pitch afterwards just killed me.
Also all the backlash from us fans on this site and on the radio....far out numbers the crew loss!

gtaguy
07-27-2009, 06:55 PM
I agree! I was at that game and to see the Vancouver fans run on the pitch afterwards just killed me.
Also all the backlash from us fans on this site and on the radio....far out numbers the crew loss!

I agree Vancouver is huge on my big loss column.. Although it seems like if there is a way to lose a game Toronto always finds the way to do it..
I hope that by experience we are learning as a club and that after being burnt once or twice we are slowly getting our acts together to avoid these kinds of silly defeats..
Anyone have a stat as to how many losses we have taken by calls for handballs, bad last minute calls from refs, reckless fouls, or late tie breakers or game winners..

ofer
07-27-2009, 07:16 PM
For me that was the most heartbreaking loss in TFC history, we let the Crew go top of the east with a goal in the 92 min

just heartbreaking

anyony else feel like that ?

edit: It sould be MLS loss in history
well it wasn`t the worst defeat but it seems we TFC develope a pattern of loosing in the dying moments , look like the players are not fit enough to play 90 min. with all due respect

gtaguy
07-27-2009, 08:04 PM
well it wasn`t the worst defeat but it seems we TFC develope a pattern of loosing in the dying moments , look like the players are not fit enough to play 90 min. with all due respect

I don't personally think its match fitness..
What i would call it is clumsy Defensive positioning hoping that the ref whistles the end of the game. Playing by the whistle does not garner you a win. Its all about playing the game to the finish .. strong defensive work will get you there and you need all 10 guys out there to do it .. I want more accountability in this and those that fail get thier asses wiped with sandpaper..

greatwhitenorf
07-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Crushing.

Made worse by the fact that we are sitting on a pile of cash and have no DP to help carry the load. Obviously, a JDG-type player would have been a huge asset in this type of game.

Hopefully, it's a wake-up call.

Yalomed
07-27-2009, 10:15 PM

I was at both and this one has been tougher to swallow. We haven't defeated the Crew in 3 years and we had them WITH some golden chances to even turn the game into a route. Vitti crossbar, DeRo late in the 1st half point blank to name a couple. Decent road game only to turn it to shit TFC style late & in stoppages. Disgusting and this has nothing to do with the 15 hours there & back. Fuck me!

TorontoBlades
07-28-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm just happy that we're able to play in important matches now. In the first two years we never had matches really worthy enough for true heartbreak.

Every club will go through games like this on their way to achieving success, Columbus has...and that's why they were better prepared for the last few minutes.

A lot of people give me sympathy for supporting Sheffield United, because of the hard luck we always have...but I tell them that I am actually happy that I support a club that is good enough to play in big matches like the Championship Final, even though we lose. It could be worse, I could be supporting Wednesday :)

james
07-28-2009, 02:30 PM
no id say worst was getting knocked out of the Canadian Championship by Montreal. THat was much more heat breaking then lossing a mid season match.