PDA

View Full Version : Pre-match: 29 July Puerto Rico at Toronto FC

Yohan
07-25-2009, 10:27 PM
This game has now turned into a statement game

I won't settle for anything less than a two goal win.

Injuries, fatigues be damned

The lads need to show heart and grow a set of balls if they want to play in CCL

They need to make up for the embarassing collapse against Columbus

Azzurri86
07-26-2009, 03:34 AM
Biggest Game in team history.. Supporters, Fans and Players must bring it!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-26-2009, 03:38 AM

Yes sir!....Already booked the day off...heading down to TO early!!:scarf:

Whats the plan JOE'S PRE GAME??

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-26-2009, 03:40 AM
This game has now turned into a statement game

I won't settle for anything less than a two goal win.

Injuries, fatigues be damned

The lads need to show heart and grow a set of balls if they want to play in CCL

They need to make up for the embarassing collapse against Columbus

Gona need atleaste 2!!! and a clean sheet!

Do aways goals count in the CCL?? as a tie breaker?

ForestGlade
07-26-2009, 04:55 AM
Gona need atleaste 2!!! and a clean sheet!

Do aways goals count in the CCL?? as a tie breaker?

From Wikipedia: The away goals rule will be used, but will not apply once a tie enters extra time.

So for example if both games tie 0-0 and in extra time in Puerto Rico both teams score, TFC doesn't advance on the away goal. They'd go straight to penalties

This is my first TFC game of the year and I look forward to seeing some of the RPB at and around the game. The boys need to show that they can control more than 70m of football and not have another epic collapse like in Columbus or in DC. I'm predicting a 2-0 victory for the Reds, but it starts with defence

SilverSamurai
07-26-2009, 09:33 AM

Well said.
Need a 2 goal lead going into PR, but most importantly, have to keep the shutout.
Park the team bus infront of the goal!

rocker
07-26-2009, 09:41 AM
yes we definitely need more than a 1-0 win... gotta remember those games against Montreal and Vancouver at home that should have been high scores.. came back to bite us in the ass until a miracle occurred.

TFC USA
07-26-2009, 01:47 PM
2-1 win. Sure why not?

Yeoman
07-26-2009, 02:03 PM
We beat them 4-2. Don't be intimidated by them man. Our first goal was some of the sloppiest play I've seen. They kicked it past their own goalie, and our guy Marcus Haber just tapped it in. I saw them make 3 other terrible mental errors like that.

It was John Krause who kicked the ball back to his goal keep but missed and let Haber score. Razz him for that sloppy shit. Another goal we scored off a corner was by this guy Veris who headed it into his own goal. There was one other bad pass back to the goal that was nearly a goal, but I can't remember the circumatances.

They've got one striker who is crazy fast......number 16.

They're boy #20 can get riled up in a hurry.....go after him. He's also the only guy with any real skill, Josh Hansen is his name. He first goal was off a bullshit acting job that resulted in a PK he scored on. Get him riled up and see if you can get rid of him.

that's the results from playing the whitecaps. my brother is one of them fans (yes i constantly torment him for the record ;) )
he may not know the finer points of the game (hell i dont' really either) but any info is good info against our upcoming foe.

Yohan
07-26-2009, 02:11 PM
watch also for Fabrice Noel. #16 I think. AM who has alot of energy and enthusiasm playing for Haiti.

If PR is going to hurt us, it'll be with their pace and taking advantage of slow TFC defence

Azzurri86
07-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Anyone heard anything about Guevara's availability?

rocker
07-26-2009, 02:16 PM
hope we get Nana back for wed... and Cronin will be back rested (USA is playing Mex right now in the Gold Cup final and Cronin isn't playing...).

Nuvinho
07-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Assuming Nana and Guevara are missing:

--------------Frei----------------
Wynne--Garcia--Serioux--Brennan
--------Robbo-----Cronin--------
Vitti----------------------Barrett
--------------DeRo--------------
--------------Gerba-------------

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Should be a great night of footy!!! NIGHT PLUS RAIN BRING OUT THE BEST IN OUR SUPPORTERS!!!

CANT WAIT

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/m.gifhttp://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/m.gifhttp://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/m.gifhttp://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/m.gif

tlear
07-26-2009, 06:24 PM
This is a game that really matters, I wish we played subs in Columbus and came fresh into this one.

Lennon
07-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Should be a great night of footy!!! NIGHT PLUS RAIN BRING OUT THE BEST IN OUR SUPPORTERS!!!

CANT WAIT

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/m.gifhttp://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/m.gifhttp://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/m.gifhttp://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/m.gif

+1

Bad weather game are the best ...

rocker
07-26-2009, 06:44 PM
wonder if Puerto Rico is gonna be annoyed at the field turf. it seems to piss off every team that comes through.

Advantage TFC! ;)

Yohan
07-26-2009, 06:50 PM
wonder if Puerto Rico is gonna be annoyed at the field turf. it seems to piss off every team that comes through.

Advantage TFC! ;)
i dunno dude. they play in some really shitty stadiums in USL

Yohan
07-26-2009, 09:43 PM
KTTieibLYUM

Puerto Rico did rest couple of their starters for this game

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-26-2009, 09:50 PM
i dunno dude. they play in some really shitty stadiums in USL

including there own...;)
http://012879.com/images/stadium/Juan_Ramon_Loubriel_A.jpg

trane
07-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Assuming Nana and Guevara are missing:

--------------Frei----------------
Wynne--Garcia--Serioux--Brennan
--------Robbo-----Cronin--------
Vitti----------------------Barrett
--------------DeRo--------------
--------------Gerba-------------

I agree with this. I hope that Nana is back. Not that Guevara is not important it is just that defense is clearly our need right now. De Ro and Gerba can finsish, Vitti and Barret can contribute.

Intru
07-26-2009, 10:32 PM
including there own...;)

Hey mom look no field turf

http://www.fussballtempel.net/concacaf/USA/Juan_Ramon_Loubriel.jpg
:hump:

Hooligan69
07-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Will this game be televised for those of us without tickets?

Yohan
07-26-2009, 11:24 PM
both PR games will be on gol tv

you can probably catch an online stream too

Hooligan69
07-26-2009, 11:42 PM
both PR games will be on gol tv

you can probably catch an online stream too

Bah! GOL TV is out of the question for me as we don't have that channel. An online stream, however...

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Hey mom look no field turf

http://www.fussballtempel.net/concacaf/USA/Juan_Ramon_Loubriel.jpg
:hump:

i'LL give you thaT!:D

SmokedPanda
07-27-2009, 12:52 AM
it looks like a baseball stadium, it reminds me of the old exhibition stadium

kodiakTFC
07-27-2009, 01:30 AM
it looks like a baseball stadium, it reminds me of the old exhibition stadium

It originally was a baseball but stadium because as you know baseball is massive in Puerto Rico. However, baseball isn't very big in the town where the Islanders play (google it) so the stadium went unused and eventually it was turned into a soccer stadium. From what I hear there is a movement to turn it into a 25k seater. Don't really see the point seeing as how they only average 6k but perhaps is a push to be in the MLS?

Intru
07-27-2009, 01:44 AM
The old girl has been through allot, a forgotten stadium for a marginated sport, on the forefront of the sports development in the country, its perfect jeje

Azzurri86
07-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Anyone organizing a march for this game? Just curious

Pachuco
07-27-2009, 09:43 AM
No news on Guevara yet huh? hope he's ready to play.

Ageroo
07-27-2009, 09:45 AM
No news on Guevara yet huh? hope he's ready to play.

Lately...any news of an injury for TFC seems to be a mystery.....I wonder what is up. Are they obligated to report it or not?

Belfast_Boy
07-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Anyone else in 127???

If there's a march would it start at Joes?

Jay P
07-27-2009, 12:27 PM
nana out, Serioux/Guevera doubtful

but cronin should be available.

__wowza
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15820
gotta stick this in here just to see that it goes off. sorry for the cross promo.

georgesd
07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Well, here you are one year later. At this time last year, the Montreal Impact were embarking on a roller-coaster ride that would take them (almost) to the semis of the CCL. This year, the team is out of the running and TFC represent Canada. Whatever your sentiment about the Impact, firstly accept my encouragement for this first game of the CCL vs Puerto Rico.

I believe TFC are strong enough to go far, perhaps as far as the Impact. I don't believe the schedule will be as gruelling as for Montreal last year (a game every 2.6 days for some stretches). What's important is to believe it is all possible from the outset. There's no room for bitching about your team when the going gets tough. Instead, get behind your team: it's a question of belief! Remember, cream rises to the surface, i.e. translation: when the going gets tough the tough get going.

TFC fans tend to get down on their team. Don't! It doesn't help. Get behind them. Last year's Impact had the absolute support of ALL Montreal soccer fans. Without question!! And this with a starting line-up that included up to 6 local area starters. TFC, on paper, are stronger but paper is as good as a 'clean' wipe "derrière". It means squat.

Wednesday it all starts. It's a long haul. Team play means more than talent. Leadership wins the day.

Montreal showed the way last year. This year: TFC, take it further than we did last year. Now we know we can do it. So fuckin do it!!!

Georges Drouin

Nuvinho
07-27-2009, 12:49 PM
nana out, Serioux/Guevera doubtful

but cronin should be available.

firstly YIKES!!!

-----------------Frei------------------
Wynne----Velez------Garcia----Brennan
----------Robbo-----Cronin------------
----------------DeRo------------------
Vitti----------------------------Barrett
----------------Gerba-----------------

Bench:

Edwards
Gala
Gomez
Dichio
White
Ibbe?

YIKES AGAIN!!

KrazyKanadian
07-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Anyone else in 127???

If there's a march would it start at Joes?

I'll check with the boys. It would likely start at the Rhino, come down to King and pick up U-Sector and then RPB on the way.

Hitcho
07-27-2009, 12:59 PM
including there own...;)

at least they have a roof... :(

Hitcho
07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Well, here you are one year later. At this time last year, the Montreal Impact were embarking on a roller-coaster ride that would take them (almost) to the semis of the CCL. This year, the team is out of the running and TFC represent Canada. Whatever your sentiment about the Impact, firstly accept my encouragement for this first game of the CCL vs Puerto Rico.

I believe TFC are strong enough to go far, perhaps as far as the Impact. I don't believe the schedule will be as gruelling as for Montreal last year (a game every 2.6 days for some stretches). What's important is to believe it is all possible from the outset. There's no room for bitching about your team when the going gets tough. Instead, get behind your team: it's a question of belief! Remember, cream rises to the surface, i.e. translation: when the going gets tough the tough get going.

TFC fans tend to get down on their team. Don't! It doesn't help. Get behind them. Last year's Impact had the absolute support of ALL Montreal soccer fans. Without question!! And this with a starting line-up that included up to 6 local area starters. TFC, on paper, are stronger but paper is as good as a 'clean' wipe "derrière". It means squat.

Wednesday it all starts. It's a long haul. Team play means more than talent. Leadership wins the day.

Montreal showed the way last year. This year: TFC, take it further than we did last year. Now we know we can do it. So fuckin do it!!!

Georges Drouin

I appreciate the sentiment behind this, it's not easy to get behind a rival like that, but holy shit dude, that's one of the most patronising things I've ever read in my life, not to mention the fact it's full of wafer thin soundbites and cliches - it reads like some cheesy Hollywood script! :facepalm:

Redpunkfiddle
07-27-2009, 01:04 PM
including there own...;)

Hey- HEY!

You are talking about my future home for about three hours next week. :D

Redpunkfiddle
07-27-2009, 01:06 PM
I appreciate the sentiment behind this, it's not easy to get behind a rival like that, but holy shit dude, that's one of the most patronising things I've ever read in my life, not to mention the fact it's full of wafer thin soundbites and cliches - it reads like some cheesy Hollywood script! :facepalm:

Like certain other events.... it started out with good intentions and then suffered a late collapse.

Yohan
07-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm going to strangle Cummins if he gets a start before Gomez

actually, he might be slightly more motivated to play against his former team...

fuck. i'm now confused

Mshob
07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Read Mahmoud Shoblaq's Pre-Game Report:
http://tfc.american-soccer-news.com/?p=460

Sage
07-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi all, Im from Puerto Rico... to be honest I was amazed to find out that it would be TFC whom the Islanders would face in the prelim, when everyone thought it be the dreaded evil bert's (lol) Whitecaps.

Anyhow, I've been looking at both teams recently and here's a list of Pro's and CON's I've made for Wendsday's game:
-------------------------------------------------

Islanders pros:

1. CC had the "genius" of sitting out and/or resting (when I mean Resting also includes giving very little minutes in last game) most of the team's regular starters:
1. 2008 MVP Jonathan Steele
2. 2008 Defense of the Year Cristian Arrieta
3. 2008 Goalkeeper of the Year Bill "the Wall" Gaudette
4. Henry
5. Fabrice Noel
6. Marcelin
7. Jagdesoingh
etc etc.

2. Islanders are used to playing under pressure and with hostile crowds. Canadians can't be more hostile than:

1. Mexicans
2. Costa Ricans
3. Guatemalans
4. Hondurans

3. their last game was in Vancouver, and their game previous to that was in Portland. So the fatigue factor of a flight in midweek to Canada is no longer a factor. Be ready to see tip top shape caribbean runners in Jagdeosing, Noel, Addlery.

4. Islanders are used to fixture congestion, something MLS teams for some reason are unable to handle.

5. Islanders have the expereince of last years Champions League run fresh on their minds.

6. No important player injured

7. Islanders know what it is to play MLS teams

8. Good Solid Defense

9. Known for last minute goals, otherwise known as Alajuelazos.
----------------------------------------------------

Islanders CONS:

1. The TURF field of BMO will be a factor against the Islanders

2. If CC chokes and begins to "experiment" with the team that will be in favor of TO

3. Team Morale might be low due to the loss in Vancouver

4. Playin Away

------------------------------------------------------

TO Pros

1. Are used to playing at BMO's TURF

2. Will be Playing Home

3. Fatigue wont be a factor

4. Dwayne DeRosario has CONCACAF Champions League experience.

5. "Superior" Mid Field

-----------------------------------------------------

TO CONS:

1. Injury problems, specifically Guevara

2. TFC Relies to much on DeRo. It's a high probability that CC will place a mark on DeRo making him useless for some time.

3. TFC's Defense starts concrete but begins to crumble as the game goes by. Most of the goals scored by TFC's Opponents have been on the last minutes.

4. TFC's defenders are mostly slow and against a speedy opponent this might be a factor against.

----------------------------------------------

Anyways my 2 cents probably a 1-1 tied game or a 2-1 TFC victory; still I dont rule out a 0-1 victory for TFC or a 0-1 victory for the Islanders. There is no way TFC will take the series in Puerto Rico, and if they want to pass they have to make it in BMO.

Sage
07-27-2009, 09:48 PM
at least they have a roof... :(

Against Cruz Azul, Juan Ramon Loubriel, AKA the Central American Cemetery, the field was maxed out at 12,500 plus the more than 1,500 people that stayed outside and had to watch the game from a nearby Multistory Parking Lot building.

ensco
07-27-2009, 09:57 PM

This cracked me up! I love that.

Redpunkfiddle
07-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the rundown.

-

Up here, we like to call it- shitting the bedzos. I am really not interested in seeing one of those down in PR.

I remember Cruz Azul sent you one of those though in your semi-final....

Rudi
07-27-2009, 10:12 PM
2. Islanders are used to playing under pressure and with hostile crowds. Canadians can't be more hostile than:

1. Mexicans
2. Costa Ricans
3. Guatemalans
4. Hondurans
Let's examine that a little further:

1. Mexicans - There were 12,000 fans in your match at Santos Laguna. Not bad, but SL are a team not known for its intimidating atmosphere.

1a. Mexicans - 6,928 at Estadio Azul for your semi-final away match versus Cruz Azul.

2. Costa Ricans - 900, yes nine hundred, people took in your away match at Alajuelense. I don't care how hostile 900 people are, that's still pathetic and hardly intimidating. I've played in front of a bigger crowd (well not really, but I've played in front of a couple of hundred a few times in high school :D).

3. Guatemala - 3000 people at your Municipal away match. Again, not enough people to make an intimidating atmosphere.

4. Honduras - 8,000 in the 40,000 seater at San Pedro Sula against Olimpia. Not bad, but no where near what BMO Field gets on the worst of nights.

Come on man, we may be 'timid' Canadians, but give us more credit as we actually show up for these types of matches.

5. "Superior" Mid FieldNot sure why you put quotations around it. TFC's midfield is superior.

Unless you're insinuating that your midfield has four full internationals and a former U20 World Cup champ.

2. TFC Relies to much on DeRo. It's a high probability that CC will place a mark on DeRo making him useless for some time.LOL, because that's worked so well for all the other teams we've faced this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not suggesting we'll have an easy time of it, not at all.

PR has shown that it can play in this competiton, and it's better than both USL teams we beat for the right to play you, IMO.

That said, I don't think either side should be brushing off one another in the manner that you brushed aside TFC in some of your 'points'. It'll be a close, hard-fought series.

Looking forward to it!

Bobo
07-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Anyone else in 127???

I'll be in row 18.

Serioux will be there, he has to. No way this guy is going to miss a match of this magnitude. You know Guevara is amped for this too. Suck it up boys! They can take the NE game off.

Sage
07-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Let's examine that a little further:

1. Mexicans - There were 12,000 fans in your match at Santos Laguna. Not bad, but SL are a team not known for its intimidating atmosphere.

1a. Mexicans - 6,928 at Estadio Azul for your semi-final away match versus Cruz Azul.

2. Costa Ricans - 900, yes nine hundred, people took in your away match at Alajuelense. I don't care how hostile 900 people are, that's still pathetic and hardly intimidating. I've played in front of a bigger crowd (well not really, but I've played in front of a couple of hundred a few times in high school :D).

3. Guatemala - 3000 people at your Municipal away match. Again, not enough people to make an intimidating atmosphere.

4. Honduras - 8,000 in the 40,000 seater at San Pedro Sula against Olimpia. Not bad, but no where near what BMO Field gets on the worst of nights.

Come on man, we may be 'timid' Canadians, but give us more credit as we actually show up for these types of matches.

Not sure why you put quotations around it. TFC's midfield is superior.

Unless you're insinuating that your midfield has four full internationals and a former U20 World Cup champ.

LOL, because that's worked so well for all the other teams we've faced this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not suggesting we'll have an easy time of it, not at all.

PR has shown that it can play in this competiton, and it's better than both USL teams we beat for the right to play you, IMO.

That said, I don't think either side should be brushing off one another in the manner that you brushed aside TFC in some of your 'points'. It'll be a close, hard-fought series.

Looking forward to it!

You forgot Estadio Corona match...

And sorry if it sounded like I ws trying to say Islanders would win the game easy... sorry no thats not the intention at all. But I've been reading this forum for a couple of days now and it seems most of the RPB members think they will beat PRI easily... and I could go back and quote... bt i dont want to waste my time.

About the Midfield "" what I meant is, that your midfield is not more superior than ours. I saw how the Riverplate youth/reinforced with some starters, danced their way everytime they counterattacked.

Im trying to be impartial in my analysis ;).. BTW... if Velez plays... our guys will know how to beat him... he was the team captain.

Intru
07-27-2009, 11:03 PM
We never played olimpia?

Rudi
07-27-2009, 11:25 PM
We never played olimpia?
Sorry, I meant Marathon.

Regardless, my point on hostile crowds stands.

Brooker
07-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Hi all, Im from Puerto Rico... to be honest I was amazed to find out that it would be TFC whom the Islanders would face in the prelim, when everyone thought it be the dreaded evil bert's (lol) Whitecaps.

Anyhow, I've been looking at both teams recently and here's a list of Pro's and CON's I've made for Wendsday's game:

Islanders pros:

1. CC had the "genius" of sitting out and/or resting (when I mean Resting also includes giving very little minutes in last game) most of the team's regular starters:
4. Henry
5. Fabrice Noel
6. Marcelin
7. Jagdesoingh
etc etc.

1. Mexicans
2. Costa Ricans
3. Guatemalans
4. Hondurans

3. their last game was in Vancouver, and their game previous to that was in Portland. So the fatigue factor of a flight in midweek to Canada is no longer a factor. Be ready to see tip top shape caribbean runners in Jagdeosing, Noel, Addlery.

4. Islanders are used to fixture congestion, something MLS teams for some reason are unable to handle.

5. Islanders have the expereince of last years Champions League run fresh on their minds.

8. Good Solid Defense

Islanders CONS:

2. If CC chokes and begins to "experiment" with the team that will be in favor of TO

4. Playin Away

TO Pros

2. Will be Playing Home

5. "Superior" Mid Field

TO CONS:

2. TFC Relies to much on DeRo. It's a high probability that CC will place a mark on DeRo making him useless for some time.

3. TFC's Defense starts concrete but begins to crumble as the game goes by. Most of the goals scored by TFC's Opponents have been on the last minutes.

4. TFC's defenders are mostly slow and against a speedy opponent this might be a factor against.

Anyways my 2 cents probably a 1-1 tied game or a 2-1 TFC victory; still I dont rule out a 0-1 victory for TFC or a 0-1 victory for the Islanders. There is no way TFC will take the series in Puerto Rico, and if they want to pass they have to make it in BMO.

let's hope PR takes TFC as lightly as you do. it'll make for a great evening.

rocker
07-28-2009, 10:05 AM
just running some stats.... PR are 5th in goals scored per game and 5th in goals against per game, in the league.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-28-2009, 10:25 AM
On the note of hostile crowds:

Boy, man killed in Honduras soccer riot (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/07/27/10277956.html)

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras — A fight between fans at a Honduran football game has left two people dead, including a 12-year-old boy.

Fire department chief Carlos Cordero says fans of the Olimpia and Motagua teams fought each other “with everything they had in their hands.” The rioters also battled police who tried to restore order.

Gunfire rang out, killing the boy and a 35-year-old man. Sixteen people were injured, including six who were shot.

It was unclear what provoked the rioting Sunday night.

The violence erupted amid tensions over June 28’s military ouster of President Manuel Zelaya. There is no indication that the sports riot had anything to do with politics.

Cas87
07-28-2009, 11:04 AM
firstly YIKES!!!

-----------------Frei------------------
Wynne----Velez------Garcia----Brennan
----------Robbo-----Cronin------------
----------------DeRo------------------
Vitti----------------------------Barrett

Bench:

Edwards
Gala
Gomez
Dichio
White
Ibbe?

YIKES AGAIN!!

I think its too late to get him for Wednesday, but hopefully Pozniak signs soon
he has experience with us and IMO a better option off the bench, or as a starter, than Marco Velez

just my opinion
plus :canada:CANADIAN

backbeat
07-28-2009, 11:47 AM
I think Guevara and Serioux will play - that's a combo of a hope and hunch

and the lineup i'd like to see would be:

--------------------Frei------------------
--Wynne----Robbo----Serioux--- Brennan--
--------Guevara -----Cronin------------
--Vitti--------------------------Barrett----
----------------DeRo-------------------

Bench:

Edwards
Velez
Garcia
Gala
Gomez
Dichio
White
Ibbe

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-28-2009, 12:54 PM
One day to go..............................................

BIGGEST GAME IN TFC SHORT HISTORY!!

rocktml
07-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I think Guevara and Serioux will play - that's a combo of a hope and hunch

and the lineup i'd like to see would be:

--------------------Frei------------------
--Wynne----Robbo----Serioux--- Brennan--
--------Guevara -----Cronin------------
--Vitti--------------------------Barrett----
----------------DeRo-------------------

Bench:

Edwards
Velez
Garcia
Gala
Gomez
Dichio
White
Ibbe

good point made......I'd rather have Robbo back there then Velez or Garcia.....

Darlofletch
07-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but what the eff.

I generally take the dufferin bus down to the game, getting to weeknight games after work is always touch and go timing wise?

Does anyone know if the construction is still going on at queen and dufferin, because if the bus is detoured like it was for the houston game, then I'll miss the start so will try and take a different route.

TFC247
07-28-2009, 01:26 PM

I don't know for Impacts if that was such a good thing.

Sage
07-28-2009, 10:40 PM
let's hope PR takes TFC as lightly as you do. it'll make for a great evening.

Dindt mean it to sound as if I'm taking TFC lightly ;)

CDNSoccerFan
07-28-2009, 11:09 PM
were -500 in this game

Roogsy
07-28-2009, 11:10 PM
I want to see something I haven't seen from Toronto since the Montreal game.

Dominance.

I want them to control the game and keep the pressure on Puerto Rico. They need to make a statement about the superiority of MLS. It's the only way to answer the doubters.

jloome
07-28-2009, 11:11 PM

Islanders pros:

4. Henry
5. Fabrice Noel
6. Marcelin
7. Jagdesoingh
etc etc.

1. Mexicans
2. Costa Ricans
3. Guatemalans
4. Hondurans

8. Good Solid Defense

Islanders CONS:

4. Playin Away

TO Pros

2. Will be Playing Home

5. "Superior" Mid Field

TO CONS:

TFC pro: Nearly all of our players are better players than pretty much anyone on the Islanders.

TFC con: knowing nearly all of our players are better players than pretty much anyone on the Islanders.

Don't for a minute fool yourself into thinking that 6-1 thrashing in Montreal was a fluke, dude. They weren't that bad; TFC just played up to the actual talent disparity, so that it didn't just come down to who's balls were bigger.

rocker
07-28-2009, 11:17 PM
i'm curious to see if PR can make that run again that they made last year.
Remember that in the 2 years of the Canadian Championship, TFC still has the most points of the three teams. I think over the long haul MLS teams will always come out on top, but that at any given time, a USL team can cause an upset.
But for PR to make the same run as last year -- that would be a huge achievement.. it sure ain't easy. I'm hoping they follow the same path as Montreal ;)

Roogsy
07-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I agree with Jloome except for the fact that while more talented, TFC is also incredibly inconsistent. I don't know what it is that stops them from playing to their proper level, but in their top form, TFC is definitely ahead of the Islanders.

But what will influence things more than anything is who is more up for the game.

Sage
07-29-2009, 12:02 AM
TFC pro: Nearly all of our players are better players than pretty much anyone on the Islanders.

TFC con: knowing nearly all of our players are better players than pretty much anyone on the Islanders.

Don't for a minute fool yourself into thinking that 6-1 thrashing in Montreal was a fluke, dude. They weren't that bad; TFC just played up to the actual talent disparity, so that it didn't just come down to who's balls were bigger.

Wao.. I seriously dont wan to get in an argument about MLS v. USL... I reserve my opinion on that...

You sure are very confident on TFC winning by 6-1 tommorrow

Bloor West FC
07-29-2009, 05:40 AM
If you have a TFC,RPB flag at home bring it to the remaining games. Lets fill the stands with flags!!!

Boudge
07-29-2009, 09:40 AM
I woke up this morning and was actually excited for once that it was raining!!!

What is our record in the rain???

Probably something ridiculous like 8-2!!!

So excited for tonight!!!!

English Rachel
07-29-2009, 09:49 AM
I feel sick. I am stressed out. Keep coming out in goosebumps and it's not even 11am!!!

OMG, I need some vallium or sommat.

Conserving positive energy for tonight, I am as excited as I am stressed.

Just a bundle of emotions right now....

Cas87
07-29-2009, 11:01 AM
^^
Just take two shots every two hours and call a doctor in the morning :)

CAN't WAIT FOR TONIGHT!
MARCH, STREAMERS, GAME, WIN!!!!!

Jay P
07-29-2009, 11:50 AM
DCU had the CCL patch on their jerseys last night (in place of the US Flag), wonder if TFC will too and if they will sell TFC jerseys W/ the CCL patch on them at bmo.

Stryker
07-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I say go all out offence with a 4-3-3 to start the game. Play DeRo, Gerba and Chad across the top with Robo, Vitti and Cronin behind them. If we can take a 2 goal lead, change to a 4-5-1 formation and try to shut them down.

Fushida
07-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Is the ticket for this game attached along with the rest of them in the season ticket pack? If it is… that means I lost mine somehow :hulk:

English Rachel
07-29-2009, 12:53 PM
print it from your account manager...

Fushida
07-29-2009, 12:55 PM
print it from your account manager...

i wish i can :(

i actually bought my STs from another member… so don’t have access to the account manager myself... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

prizby
07-29-2009, 01:20 PM
anything less than 2 goals and not a cleansheet will be disappointing

English Rachel
07-29-2009, 01:28 PM

i actually bought my STs from another member… so don’t have access to the account manager myself... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Call TFC - John's really helpful - 416 815 5400 press 1 then ext 5397

Steve
07-29-2009, 01:30 PM

Yeah, this ticket wasn't included in the package, the only way to get it was to print it out. So you might have to contact the person who sold it to you.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Hear the noise from the boys comin......from the south END!!!

the calm before the storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cant f'in wait!!!!

rocker
07-29-2009, 01:33 PM
BTW, there are still tickets available for this match in Ticketmaster.
I just checked and saw 2 in row 9 in 224. good seats. I sat in row 15 of 224 in season 1.

yankiboy
07-29-2009, 01:36 PM
[When you guys picked up Marco Velez I used to post here a lot but somehow managed to have my username bumped from the board...]

Greetings from another Puerto Rican Islander supporter!

We have been looking forward to this match ever since we drew TFC. They were supposed to give us a friendly down in Bayamon as part of Marco Velez signing but they never came through.

Toronto FC is a very good club, everyone realizes that. We are really hoping to give the Reds two good matches. Many of us cheer for TFC because they gave Velez a chance and because we respect the flava that TO has brought to MLS.

WE LOVE MARCO VELEZ.

Marco Velez is without a doubt a very HUGE fish in a small pond which is just to say that the guy and his family (his mom, dad, brother, nephews, etc--STILL attend Islander home games) are avid Island supporters even though Marco has gone on to a bigger stage to ply his trade. He is an icon in Puerto Rico and some people who don't follow the sport know him from his media interviews.

He is the captain of the dormant Puerto Rican national team and the greatest player to date that the Island has produced in the modern era; some of the kids of Puerto Rican raised in the States and other places have the potential to be even better but thet are younger and not there yet).

You can ask my four year old daughter about Marco and she will tell you that he plays in the defence for TFC and that he is the captain of the Puerto Rican National Team and comes from Carolina, like her (even though she was born in the States--it's her mom who is also from Marco's hometown).

People use Marco as an example of hardwork and blazing a trail. So it will be a very fascinating homecoming for Velez. When he got red carded for the Alecko Eskandarian incident, he was flown home and honored at an Islanders game for his success with TFC.

This time will be very different. We LOVE Marco and many of us cheer for TFC but when the two sides face (unless your last name is Velez), we are pretty clear about where our support lies. When it is all over, no matter which way it turns out, we will still love Marco and I think that many of us will still follow TFC as long as he is there.

Maximum Respect & Good Luck.

yankiboy
07-29-2009, 01:38 PM
As far as out tactics go tonight, I expect it to be more of the same:

We play tight and organized, and it starts from the back. That is the Colin Clarke way.

Our keeper Bill Gaudette is just plain sick sometimes. Cristian Arrieta who is great going forward and is know to find the back of the net--is also an excellent lateral defender.

We will try to keep our shape and play the ball forward through Noah Delgado and Jonny Steele.

We will pick our moments to counter-attack. Nicolas Addlery is a potential offensive weapon but I would also say keep an eye out for one of our Hatian internationals, Fabrice Noel. He loves to run at guys. Kendall Jandeosingh also likes to run at guys and if he doesn't start then depending on how we are doing if going forward to score to win or try and salvage a draw is crucial, he may come off the bench.

Corners will and set plays in the area of the TFC attacking third will crucial. It wouldn't surpise me if a defender like Arrieta or John Krause manages to score or assist of a header.

Krause might be the defender who will be most responsible to try and stop DeRo. Maybe a guy like Sandy Gbandi or James Marcelin (the latter showed very good form playing for Haiti in Gold Cup this month--the best that I can remember him playing and he did stuggle in CCL matches before--maybe they will show us something extra.

I expect for us to struggle with the turf a bit. It is a different quality than what we play on in Rochester and Portland.

We will try and offer a workman like effort and try to head back to Bayamon with at least a draw. We will attempt to avoid chasing the game. Better to go home 0-0 than down 2-0 or 3-0.

So there you have it, the Yanki-Yank Preview from and Islander supporter's angle.

ecospice
07-29-2009, 01:39 PM
BTW, there are still tickets available for this match in Ticketmaster.
I just checked and saw 2 in row 9 in 224. good seats. I sat in row 15 of 224 in season 1.

Unfortunately, we are a really quiet section...but I agree - good seats...I'll try not to hit you with a streamer during my drunken rendition of O'Canada...

:scarf::drinking::scarf::drinking::scarf:

Belfast_Boy
07-29-2009, 01:41 PM
formation! 1 - 1 - 8. EVERYONE FORWARD!!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-29-2009, 01:42 PM
[When you guys picked up Marco Velez I used to post here a lot but somehow managed to have my username bumped from the board...]

We have been looking forward to this match ever since we drew TFC. They were supposed to give us a friendly down in Bayamon as part of Marco Velez signing but they never came through.

Toronto FC is a very good club, everyone realizes that. We are really hoping to give the Reds two good matches. Many of us cheer for TFC because they gave Velez a chance and because we respect the flava that TO has brought to MLS.

WE LOVE MARCO VELEZ.

Marco Velez is without a doubt a very HUGE fish in a small pond which is just to say that the guy and his family (his mom, dad, brother, nephews, etc--STILL attend Islander home games) are avid Island supporters even though Marco has gone on to a bigger stage to ply his trade. He is an icon in Puerto Rico and some people who don't follow the sport know him from his media interviews.

He is the captain of the dormant Puerto Rican national team and the greatest player to date that the Island has produced in the modern era; some of the kids of Puerto Rican raised in the States and other places have the potential to be even better but thet are younger and not there yet).

You can ask my four year old daughter about Marco and she will tell you that he plays in the defence for TFC and that he is the captain of the Puerto Rican National Team and comes from Carolina, like her (even though she was born in the States--it's her mom who is also from Marco's hometown).

People use Marco as an example of hardwork and blazing a trail. So it will be a very fascinating homecoming for Velez. When he got red carded for the Alecko Eskandarian incident, he was flown home and honored at an Islanders game for his success with TFC.

This time will be very different. We LOVE Marco and many of us cheer for TFC but when the two sides face (unless your last name is already), we are pretty clear about where our support lies. When it is all over, no matter which way it turns out, we will still love Marco and I think that many of us will still follow TFC as long as he is there.

cant disagree with that.. well said!

good luck tonight!

English Rachel
07-29-2009, 01:43 PM

Although not too much luck...

Enjoy the game!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-29-2009, 01:52 PM
IF Dero is possesed anything like he was in montreal.... !....if we score early and i beleive we will the flood gates will open!

NIght game...OUR FIRST CCL GAME!...A Possible sprinkle of rain!....An atomosphere like we have never seen...

Its all adding up to the greatest night in TFC history!

C'mon you reds!!

English Rachel
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Are you competing with me for the positivity crown??? lol

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Are you competing with me for the positivity crown??? lol

dats just me darlin..:drinking:

Belfast_Boy
07-29-2009, 02:02 PM

WE LOVE MARCO VELEZ.

This time will be very different. We LOVE Marco and many of us cheer for TFC but when the two sides face (unless your last name is already), we are pretty clear about where our support lies. When it is all over, no matter which way it turns out, we will still love Marco and I think that many of us will still follow TFC as long as he is there.

very cool, thanks and good luck to you too. but in the end I hope we win.
I'm not one of those guys that automatically hates their opponents. I learned in martial arts to respect your opponent. because without them you'd have nobody to fight and learn from and punch in the face.

yankiboy
07-29-2009, 02:14 PM
The Washington, DC Division of the Islanders' Foreign Legion is hosting a viewing party @ Momo's on U St NW.

Any DC area TFC fans are invited to join us... :)

English Rachel
07-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Awww you're lovely <3<3<3

RedsYNWA
07-29-2009, 02:24 PM
We could all use a nice 5-0 victory with even Velez scoring one :)

Darlofletch
07-29-2009, 02:30 PM
We could all use a nice 5-0 victory with even Velez scoring one :)

Yeah, reading here about the respect that Velez enjoys in PR, I think a velez hat trick would leave everybody happy.

Belfast_Boy
07-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Alright! enough of all this nice shite!!!

Qu'est ce que vous chantez?

English Rachel
07-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Lol I know, so torn. I want to give him a hug and headbutt him at the same time.

Normal Rachel vs Footy Rachel - 2 very different kids

Belfast_Boy
07-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Lol I know, so torn. I want to give him a hug and headbutt him at the same time.

Normal Rachel vs Footy Rachel - 2 very different kids

you made me laugh out loud, are you this funny live?

prizby
07-29-2009, 02:57 PM
i just want to add a few words

maximum respect to the PR supporters who have come on the boards here and spoken up and spoken respectively. You guys rock. I hope we have 2 good matches, but unfortunately for you guys, it has to be TFC that goes.

When it was you guys and 3 mexican teams in the semis, i cheered PR, but and I hate to tarnish my post by mentioning them, TFC needs to go through, we need to face columbus! You will find a ton of people that will agree with this!

When your watching tonight PR fans, listen carefully, you will most definitely hear us singing for 90 minutes!

Its a shame we meet in the prelims and not the finals!

English Rachel
07-29-2009, 03:03 PM
you made me laugh out loud, are you this funny live?

Far, far, far funnier.

Belfast_Boy
07-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Far, far, far funnier.

excellent!!!

I'm taller in person.

I'm sooo ready for this game and can't wait to get to the bar to get the night going! feel like we deserve a win. we've had some shitty results recently. something has to go our way and tonight would be a great start.

English Rachel
07-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Stop flirting

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Belfast_Boy
07-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Stop flirting

alright!

Belfast_Boy
07-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Jesus! I think my clock has stopped. Time is standing still.

This game is going to be massive!

billyfly
07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Lookin out the office window...

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/f/8/4/f8484ac76b6c6b93acd1f99078611e35.jpg

Hitcho
07-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Stop flirting

says the girl with a kinky whip cracking hot chick for an avatar, and a bunch of flashing love hearts in her post... :p

Belfast_Boy
07-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Lookin out the office window...

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/f/8/4/f8484ac76b6c6b93acd1f99078611e35.jpg

It's only 40% for tonight.

It doesn't really matter, it's not like we'll wimp out and not go.

Belfast_Boy
07-29-2009, 03:46 PM
says the girl with a kinky whip cracking hot chick for an avatar, and a bunch of flashing love hearts in her post... :p

nope, she was right. this shouldn't happen on a message board. it should done the old fashioned way in a bar after mucho tequila!

MUFC_Niagara
07-29-2009, 03:49 PM
GET IN THERE!!!! Come on Toronto!!!!!!

Hitcho
07-29-2009, 03:52 PM
nope, she was right. this shouldn't happen on a message board. it should done the old fashioned way in a bar after mucho tequila!

easy there tiger, you want to be wary of northern lasses after too mucho alcohol - ha ha! :D

yankiboy
07-29-2009, 03:58 PM
i just want to add a few words

maximum respect to the PR supporters who have come on the boards here and spoken up and spoken respectively. You guys rock. I hope we have 2 good matches, but unfortunately for you guys, it has to be TFC that goes.

When it was you guys and 3 mexican teams in the semis, i cheered PR, but and I hate to tarnish my post by mentioning them, TFC needs to go through, we need to face columbus! You will find a ton of people that will agree with this!

When your watching tonight PR fans, listen carefully, you will most definitely hear us singing for 90 minutes!

Its a shame we meet in the prelims and not the finals!
It's always easy to hear you guys on the tizzzube, even when y'all are on the road because you guys just bring it; you didn't just raise the bar, y'all re-wrote the game when it comes to supporting (and as a former card-carrying DC Screaming Eagle and still DCU fan, I have a pretty high standard when it comes to MLS & USL).

You'll cheer for your Reds.

We'll cheer for our Orange Troop.

It is too bad that the draw went down the way that it did. It would have been cool if we could have at least avoid meeting until we at least hit the group stage and both teams could go through. But it didn't.

We are used to being outmanned and out-gunned. Now we just have to try and play the roll of Giant Killers and try and make like the Little Orange Engine that could make it over the Big Red Mountain.

If we dont' play well and go out like "busters" then I will be bitter. If we don't advance but play well I will be depressed (especially after having Cruz Azul on the ropes in the semis--it will hurt more).

As usual, most of the pundits expect us to lose because we are facing a team of a higher different class, with better resources. We are expected to lose. Again.

In a crazy way, that helps take off a bit of the pressure.

But then again, we have always been able to face Giants at home first. Having to play at BMO first will be something new for us.

General Clarke had better have them ready because when you face Canada's finest in the belly of the beast you gotta come correct if you are going to have any chance...

Lennon
07-29-2009, 04:20 PM
CONCACAF Champions League (http://www.concacafchampions.com/)site .... impressive ...

Bobo
07-29-2009, 04:28 PM
It's only 40% for tonight.

It doesn't really matter, it's not like we'll wimp out and not go.

Down to 30.:)

DangerRed
07-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Much respect to the PR fans on here.

I'm sooooooo pumped for this game!!! Even dragging the wife into the rain tonight!

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

BRed
07-29-2009, 04:39 PM
you guys think I should bet $50 on TFC?

Raging Reggie
07-29-2009, 04:41 PM
540pm just sitting here with my scarf and a finishing off a drink and my cousin should be here soon and then go train time!!!!

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lennon
07-29-2009, 04:42 PM
you guys think I should bet $50 on TFC?

Not at the current odds ... I'm taking Under 2.5 goals ... hopefully it rains ... rain + turf = no goals ...

Lennon
07-29-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm out the door! :D

BRed
07-29-2009, 04:44 PM
i don't know if the reds open the gates I can easily see it go over 2.5

georgesd
07-29-2009, 06:52 PM
I'VE OFTEN BEEN ABLE TO CATCH VARIOUS COMPETITIONS IN LIVE STREAMING ON THE NET: Alouette football, USL, FINA world champ, etc...

AT http://atdhe.net/ THE TFC VS P.R. GAME IS LISTED ON LIVE STREAM.

ON OCCASION, IT DOESN'T COME THROUGH. MOST OF TIME IT DOES.

GIVE IT A TRY @ 8pm http://atdhe.net/

Cheers, Georges D

pepher
07-29-2009, 07:29 PM
No Score? How are we playing?