PDA

View Full Version : Onward! - Notes on the new guys

Ben Knight
07-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Some Gerba/White/Gomez thoughts -- plus Vitti (boo) and Edwards (yay).

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/07/23/notes-on-the-new-guys/

H Bomb
07-23-2009, 05:54 PM
I sure hope Edwards gets no more playing time all year, as that would mean Frei is injured.

Wagner
07-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Good insight as always.

nimamalek
07-23-2009, 06:48 PM
White runs a little like Lombardo! and Vitti had a couple of great runs in the middle, that didnt amount to anything but they were still nice to watch

Shakes McQueen
07-23-2009, 07:14 PM
White runs a little like Lombardo! and Vitti had a couple of great runs in the middle, that didnt amount to anything but they were still nice to watch

That's usually the case with Vitti.

- Scott

backbeat
07-23-2009, 08:00 PM
vitti had some great touches and quality that is often lacking in others on TFC plus he single handedly set up a beautiful scoring opportunity.

Vitti has been playing mid - not as a striker and he is absolutely one of our best midfielders

jloome
07-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Easily. Easily, far and away one of our best. When our movement upfield freezes, he's the one who gets it going again. Ben, WTF are you talking about?

White was absolutely non-existent in that game. I dont' think it bodes well. I think he's at least a year from being ready for this level, as all of his movement was lock-step stereotypical. I didn't see him create space or off the defenders' space/shoulders all night.

106-12
07-23-2009, 08:59 PM
I think VITTI was one of or best players at the game alot better than GERBA.And i think GALA was very good too.

Ben Knight
07-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Vitti: 2 goals (both on reaction headers), zero assists and only 11 shots on goal in 17 games.

He's pretty, but the job's not getting done well enough to justify the cap hit.

king dave
07-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Vitti: 2 goals (both on reaction headers), zero assists and only 11 shots on goal in 17 games.

Agree B.
Guess the 'muerta' moniker fits.
KD.

Shakes McQueen
07-23-2009, 10:29 PM

Summed up my opinion exactly. Though I wouldn't mind keeping him, if it was a way smaller cap hit.

- Scott

karlosarmenta
07-24-2009, 12:36 AM
You guys should come join in the Vitti talk at Bens Blog at onward soccer.

colman1860
07-24-2009, 12:48 AM
karlos - thanks for saying exactly what I wanted to say on there.

grizzle
07-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Well said Karlos!

Ossington Mental Youth
07-24-2009, 01:35 AM
although i dont agree with you Ben, its nice to see you go against the grain with your feelings on Vitti, would be nice if you had more detail as to why you felt he did nothing.
That being said, good article

Ossington Mental Youth
07-24-2009, 01:37 AM
i also gotta agree with JLoome, i didnt see much from OW then again he was played out of position and is in need of some games under the belt

James17930
07-24-2009, 02:23 AM
I also like Vitti, but not at at cap hit. if he was making around 100,000, then fine, but if he's to stay at what he's making, it screws up the rest of the team too much.

backbeat
07-24-2009, 06:56 AM

however comma

you were commenting on Vitti's play during the friendly in your article

i have no idea what game you were watching to make such comments

vitti directly, all by his lonesome, set up excellent scoring chances in that game

and also had some of the best quality on the pitch

as for this year he has certainly come into his own and the improvement is dramatic as he becomes accustom to the MLS game - we have no quality/skill like Vitti on this team -to get rid of him would be crazy

scooter
07-24-2009, 07:16 AM
yes what about the huston game
cool nutmeg and then a beauty of a forward ball for dero
agreed he is not consistant
but we are building a team here lets not loose sight of that
i hope vitti is here to stay

rocker
07-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I also like Vitti, but not at at cap hit. if he was making around 100,000, then fine, but if he's to stay at what he's making, it screws up the rest of the team too much.

how does it screw up the rest of the team?

TorontoBlades
07-24-2009, 10:28 AM
I don't know how you call yourself an expert sometimes Ben, you're simply recycling a lot of the junk a lot of the North-American-Stat-Obsessed-Sports-Fans on this board spit out of their asses

Ali Gerba: The only one we can agree on here. At least you can acknowledge that the ball was behind a striker making a strong direct run to the goal front, and it was behind him. I don't know many players worldwide that would have negotiated that service...given his run.[/font]

O’Brian White: It's called shielding the ball m8. Match fitness aside, he's shown to be very strong on the ball.

Emmanuel Gomez: Ok, we agree on him two. Very strong in the air

Pablo Vitti: He played well IMO. May have wanted to do too much against his country men - but keeps possession better than any of our players outside DeRo & Guevara, in what can be a very cluttered MLS midfield

Brian Edwards:He'll get his shot when we sell Frei. That's why we keep him dispite his value to other clubs and the kitty we could get in return.

Gabe Gala:Still too reckless. May have been trying to prove himself in his limited time on the pitch. Hopefully more minute will refine him. Poised was never a word I would use to describe him though. Like his direct approach though, but could probably do well to tone it down a bit or else he'll just be another Johann Smith.

bhoybobby
07-24-2009, 11:53 AM

?? I can remember one game where 2 goals came directly for him. methinks you missed those. Your stats may be wrong.

He's a great talent.:scarf:

Candu_88
07-24-2009, 02:17 PM
I was very impressed with Gomez; speed, height, strength, aggression and adapted well jockeying and then taking the ball from some speedy skilled attackers. Ball distribution is not there yet but considering his lack of pro experience and the constant changing of formations and all of our out-of-position players that game is anyone really surprised by those mistakes? Just like Attakora, I'm expecting to see rapid improvement if he is given the chance. Now I'm thinking Garcia's will help us the most training these kids.

Vitti was by far our best player, yes he dribbled down blind alleys into trouble several times but DeRo does that too. Vitti is adapting to MLS/TFC and is showing consistent improvement and better work rate. Horrible penalty but Dichio's was worse both years. We need to keep him.

Edward's distribution was not quite up to last years impressive level yet but his positioning and movement were solid. I was very impressed with his dealing with crosses (and command of the box too). That is one area I rate him slightly ahead of Frei and miles ahead of Sutton.

Gerba has impressive power but I don't like his work rate or movement off the ball. I don't see him as an improvement over Dichio; better finisher but won't link up as well with the mids. Although this game his finishing was like early season Barrett. He could of had three goals.

Gala has potential, speedy with good dribbling skills and put in several decent crosses. He is the closest player to a true winger we have IMO. Needs more experience but I think he deserves it.

OBW is not fully fit and confident yet but I think we will be better than Gerba by next year.

Given the huge defensive potential we have with these youngsters I'm starting to think that moving Serioux to replace Robinson may be the right move. He was considered one of the best DM is the championship when he was playing for Millwall. He'll win way more headers, tackle way more effectively, block more shots, slot into the defense to regain shape when needed, score more and start some dangerous counter attacks with dribbling runs. This might take TFC to the next level.:scarf:

rocker
07-24-2009, 03:15 PM
my german soccer coach father, who attended in my place, came home raving about Gabe Gala. He doesn't follow the team as closely as I do, so he said "who is this Gala kid??? he's great, i want to see more."

bhoybobby
07-24-2009, 04:32 PM
my german soccer coach father, who attended in my place, came home raving about Gabe Gala. He doesn't follow the team as closely as I do, so he said "who is this Gala kid??? he's great, i want to see more."

Yeah, the lad impressed, shame we can't say the same about Gerba:scarf: