PDA

View Full Version : Open Question To Mlsintoronto

Hitcho
07-23-2009, 03:31 PM
This is NOT a complaint thread about the mid-season friendlies, it's a question to the TFC FO, so please keep the gripes in the other thread running on this.

That said, can mlsintoronto (or a cohort) let us know if the mid season friendlies are compulsory for TFC? That is to say, does the league require them to be held?

Not looking for an explanation or reasoning here, just a simple "Yes, we have to schedule them even if we don't want to" or "No, it's at the discretion of TFC or any other MLS team". As fans, we'd like to know...

Thanks!

Parkdale
07-23-2009, 03:35 PM
well I'm not a cohort (despite what people like to think),
but I do have a strong power of deductive reasoning....

http://web.mlsnet.com/schedule/scoreboard/season.jsp?team=t104
^ random MLS team (FC Dallas)

looks like they play 2 games in the 'USA-Brazil Challenge' before their season,
but then still have scheduled friendlies AND a 'U.S. Open Cup' during the season.

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/schedule/
^ New England has 'superliga' games mid season,

it's hard to say if TFC could drop the mid-season friendlies, or even if they would want to.
It makes me think they do the friendlies to fit the schedule of the other clubs.

nascarguy
07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
next year there better not be any mid season scheduled friendlies vs. toronto fc

Darlofletch
07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/schedule/index.cfm?season=2006

I also checked New England, 2006 was the last time they played a friendly like this. mainly because of ccl and superliga committments since then.

I would suggest it's optional, but I don't know.

nascarguy
07-23-2009, 03:57 PM
i fell like I sould be asking for my money back for this season and not just for my tickets for my time and money spent

H Bomb
07-23-2009, 04:06 PM
this should have been a pm with the answer then included in a thread....this will just become people saying things they think...and what good is that in a case like this

Parkdale
07-23-2009, 04:09 PM
i fell like I sould be asking for my money back for this season and not just for my tickets for my time and money spent

why so angry nascardude?

are you not having a good time a the games? I am.
We're in a playoff race (not out of it like this time last year)
and we've got a whole world of CONCACAF games right ahead
of us if we just open the door and step though.

nascarguy
07-23-2009, 04:15 PM
mlse are lucky that it was not a key player that got hurt

Rudi
07-23-2009, 04:19 PM
mlse are lucky that it was not a key player that got hurt
What games have you been watching?

Kevvv
07-23-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm sure he means DeRo or Dichio.

Would you feel better if the player was injured against Red Bulls or Columbus? Or PR? Training? Emptying the dishwasher? Driving to the game?

H Bomb
07-23-2009, 04:26 PM
i would feel better if a player was hurt in an MLS match yes

Technorgasm
07-23-2009, 04:26 PM
I support friendlies.

TFC play way less games than is expected in other leagues.

and MLS / TFC, lets face it does not rank very highly in comparison.

INternational play, exposure, talent and tests are great for this oprganization. (injuries suck, but its a worth whiel risk if our younger / newer players get minutes)

Having bnig teams come to play here is a dream I have wanted realized for YEARS and YEARS and YEARS. I had a great time at the match last night, and it was some great football, and the excitment of the PKs cvoupled with teh Boca fans made it THAT mucvh better!!!

its about freakin time!!!
I think a lot of people around here have now taken for granted what a desolate vaccum of football Toronto was before TFC, local ground, local coverage began. Would you have though Real, Plate, Benfica, Villa ect ect would be featured at a local field 4 years ago?

Footy is not just about the results.
Especially considering the state of the sport in N America, Canada, Toronto.

IT woudl appear they ARE to a lot of folks what with these idiodic, fruitless and pointless protests and all this hissy-fitting all over the freakin place.

Suck it up and fucking enjoy it.
this helps the stability of the league and of our beloved club.

With matches like this we ensure that this club is stable = we have plenty of time to win trophies and build history!!! this is a supporters club and yes we are RAVENOUS for a championship side but friendlies are an integral part of the leageu and its continued success.

If weather permitted I am sure they would be in the off season. .. .

get your shovels out.

EAT IT

ilikemusic
07-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I have an open question for mlsintoronto.

Did you take the TTC streetcar to Union after the game? I swear i saw you.

H Bomb
07-23-2009, 04:28 PM
it doesnt help the stability of the league at all. Players get hurt....realize they're in a bush league and if they have the talent leave. We need to stop acting like we're so happy to be getting a free meal. Suck it up and starve a little, you'll build some character and not feel so dirty the next morning.

Kevvv
07-23-2009, 04:30 PM
i would feel better if a player was hurt in an MLS match yes

Even if we were ahead or behind by 3 goals?

H Bomb
07-23-2009, 04:32 PM
yeah man, I wouldnt be happy they were hurt but if your kid went to war and died in battle wouldnt you feel better than if they had fallen during a training exercise. Real matches have necesary dangers....friendlies have unneccesary ones

nascarguy
07-23-2009, 04:36 PM
I have a question when are we going to see the end of carlsberg sold at bmo that beer is shit

greatwhitenorf
07-23-2009, 04:39 PM
I really enjoyed everything about last night's game. It wasn't played at the most intense level, yet it was competitive and combative. Good atmosphere, as well. It was great to see some new faces get a run out as well.

I'll bet our players would prefer a half against River Plate et al rather than just scrimmage against one another. A chance to learn some new moves or tactics or just measure up against one of South America's best.

The two friendlies we're seeing this year are excellent choices, even if the RM game is expensive. Only change I'd make would be to spread them further apart, but that's not always easy to do as we have to wait until the visiting teams are in training and ready to tour.

I'm hoping the team sees the overall value in this approach and keeps them going.

greatwhitenorf
07-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Totally agree with your post, Techno. It was desolate no so long ago.

H Bomb
07-23-2009, 04:43 PM
i've got a line here....go get your tow truck

Super
07-23-2009, 04:44 PM
I would love to see pre-season friendlies (maybe even organize a mini-cup and bring in 3 other teams) held at Rogers Centre. Great way to get the season started. I'll gladly pay for that. Hopefully some day that might happen.

Kevvv
07-23-2009, 04:45 PM
I have a question when are we see the end of carlsberg sold at bmo that beer is shit

The real issue surfaces.

Besides the obvious fact that they're the sponsor and aren't going anywhere, what do you have in mind? Coors Light? Steelback? I'd rather drink the rancid sweat from the headband of King Dave's ball cap. But not for $6.75 a glass.

Raging Reggie
07-23-2009, 04:54 PM
I support friendlies.

TFC play way less games than is expected in other leagues.

and MLS / TFC, lets face it does not rank very highly in comparison.

INternational play, exposure, talent and tests are great for this oprganization. (injuries suck, but its a worth whiel risk if our younger / newer players get minutes)

Having bnig teams come to play here is a dream I have wanted realized for YEARS and YEARS and YEARS. I had a great time at the match last night, and it was some great football, and the excitment of the PKs cvoupled with teh Boca fans made it THAT mucvh better!!!

its about freakin time!!!
I think a lot of people around here have now taken for granted what a desolate vaccum of football Toronto was before TFC, local ground, local coverage began. Would you have though Real, Plate, Benfica, Villa ect ect would be featured at a local field 4 years ago?

Footy is not just about the results.
Especially considering the state of the sport in N America, Canada, Toronto.

IT woudl appear they ARE to a lot of folks what with these idiodic, fruitless and pointless protests and all this hissy-fitting all over the freakin place.

Suck it up and fucking enjoy it.
this helps the stability of the league and of our beloved club.

With matches like this we ensure that this club is stable = we have plenty of time to win trophies and build history!!! this is a supporters club and yes we are RAVENOUS for a championship side but friendlies are an integral part of the leageu and its continued success.

If weather permitted I am sure they would be in the off season. .. .

get your shovels out.

EAT IT

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamm!

agreed!

boban
07-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I have a question when are we going to see the end of carlsberg sold at bmo that beer is shit
Buy a Tuborg then.

nascarguy
07-23-2009, 04:56 PM
The real issue surfaces.

Besides the obvious fact that they're the sponsor and aren't going anywhere, what do you have in mind? Coors Light? Steelback? I'd rather drink the rancid sweat from the headband of King Dave's ball cap. But not for $6.75 a glass.
the sponsor deal is up this year I think molson will pony up more money and there could be heineken and canadian on tap / can and make us a tfc pub at bmo

Brooker
07-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Heineken? so when the piss colored football team comes to BMO they can drink piss flavored beer?

Yohan
07-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Keiths, please sponsor. :D
+1!

I love my Keith's red!

nascarguy
07-23-2009, 06:12 PM
beer gardens could be turn in to a pub and stands could be placed on side

H Bomb
07-23-2009, 06:14 PM
^^ we dont need another "pub" in toronto that only serves shit beer. It makes me sad every time i have to order a keiths or a moosehead in this town

mlsintoronto
To answer the original q, there is no requirement to have friendlies.

H Bomb
nice, close thread

mlsintoronto
07-23-2009, 06:15 PM
No I didn't take the streetcar

GeorgeB
07-23-2009, 06:22 PM
^ how bout we start thinking about scrapping midseason friendlies from now on .

Shakes McQueen
07-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Aside from the actual question this thread was made for, and Technologic's post, the rest of this thread made my eyes hurt. Why are we talking about the beer at BMO?

Why would we get rid of Carlsberg, and swap it out with another tasteless, overcarbonated adjunct lager? At least Carlsberg have some football advertising sensibility, by virtue of being based in Europe. If Molson or Coors takes over, you will absolutely start seeing cheerleaders and t-shirt cannons at BMO Field.

- Scott

H Bomb
07-23-2009, 06:39 PM
so there are people who, dispite the shit game, B team opposition, and injury to a starter think Friendlies are a good thing?

This isnt rhetorical or anything...the only argument FOR friendlies i've ever really seen is "come on"

very strange indeed

Shep
07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
^ how bout we start thinking about scrapping midseason friendlies from now on .

Because you don't want them?

I had a good time at last night match, got to see some players that don't get to the pitch that often.

Speak for yourself.

Shep
07-23-2009, 06:46 PM
so there are people who, dispite the shit game, B team opposition, and injury to a starter think Friendlies are a good thing?

This isnt rhetorical or anything...the only argument FOR friendlies i've ever really seen is "come on"

very strange indeed

Yeah I do.

This is one season. There will be countless more, the squad is thick enough to handle a friendly, sure a starter got injured, he could have gotten injured in practice as well, he's not a robot, he is human, it happens. But people like to grab hold of it and run with it like it's some bloody verification of what they believe.

If he hadn't gotten injured, what would it be then, the next thing.. yeah. See some people are just against it no matter what.

I had a good time, loved watching Gala play.

It's not going to fuck everything up, it was good practice, and even watching Edwards, now I'm secure with our keeper squad.

I can see where you are coming from, my fear is that you don't even want to get what we are saying.

THERE ARE 2 EXTRA GAMES THIS YEAR...BIG FUCKING DEAL.

GeorgeB
07-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Because you don't want them?

I had a good time at last night match, got to see some players that don't get to the pitch that often.

Speak for yourself.i did.

Shep
07-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Aside from the actual question this thread was made for, and Technologic's post, the rest of this thread made my eyes hurt. Why are we talking about the beer at BMO?

Why would we get rid of Carlsberg, and swap it out with another tasteless, overcarbonated adjunct lager? At least Carlsberg have some football advertising sensibility, by virtue of being based in Europe. If Molson or Coors takes over, you will absolutely start seeing cheerleaders and t-shirt cannons at BMO Field.

- Scott

Guinness, no worries about overcarbonation, and very much tasty!

At least at one concession...

MLSINTORONTO PLZ MAKE IT HAPPEN!
(I'll buy you a pint)
:drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking: :drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking: :drinking:

H Bomb
07-23-2009, 06:50 PM
But he didnt get injured in practise....he got injured in a crappy game against a B team opponent. So we dont need to move onto the next thing, because that is a massive thing....Before the game people said no one better get injured, then a starter did and people still support it.

And all due respect, it doesnt matter if you're secure with the keeper sitch, although I imagine he enjoyed playing a game (reserve division, oh wait bush league, i forgot)

I'm not against it no matter what, I'm against it because it's a waste of time in the middle of our season where something meaningless could create problems for us...this is largely the argument against...and we've been proven right

nascarguy

- Scott
heineken has the same football advertising.

Shakes McQueen

very strange indeed

I don't care if we get rid of mid-season friendlies, but I also don't care if we keep them. The whole fear of injury issue, isn't really an issue to me.

Players can get hurt in training. Players can get hurt falling down a flight of stairs. Players can get hurt slipping in the shower. Why not get rid of "meaningless games" altogether, then? A player can still potentially break his leg in a pre-season friendly. Get rid of national team duty too, since the clubs are the ones paying their wages, and players routinely get hurt playing for their country.

Last night was basically a low intensity scrimmage - something they would do at practice anyway. Players were getting subbed out left and right, and it was just a good chance to have a quick runabout, and test yourself against decent quality opposition. I'm fine with that.

If Dasovic had put our best XI out there for 90 minutes, and run them into the ground in advance of our meaningful game this weekend, I would have been pretty mad. But he didn't. The Attakora injury is unfortunate, but sometimes things just happen. You can't store your players in bubble wrap.

- Scott

Shep
07-23-2009, 06:51 PM
i did.

Fair enough, it was the 'we' thing that got me.

Phil
07-23-2009, 06:51 PM
To answer the original q, there is no requirement to have friendlies.

Thanks for the info. I see no reason to keep this going.

Cheers