PDA

View Full Version : Should We Be Practicing Penalties?

James17930
07-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Okay, De Ro and Guevara weren't out there, sure, but is this something we should be focusing more on? Do we practice this at all?

Because in our history, we've really sucked pretty much up and down the board.

zamperina
07-22-2009, 08:44 PM
I really think the crappy turf has something to do with it. It wouldn't hurt to practice though!

dinminister
07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
get rid of marco velez

Yohan
07-22-2009, 08:46 PM
get rid of marco velez
for missing a penalty in an useless friendly?

lol

fdasilva
07-22-2009, 08:47 PM
for being a general useless player.

dinminister
07-22-2009, 08:47 PM
he's garbage all around, and why didnt we sub in guevara/de rosario in the last couple minutes so they could shoot?

jabbronies
07-22-2009, 08:48 PM
I don't think our goalies have ever stopped a penelty..Aside from last years Carlsberg cup, have they?

Troll
07-22-2009, 08:48 PM
I really think the crappy turf has something to do with it. It wouldn't hurt to practice though!

The ball is sitting still. The goal is 10 yds away and the size of the ocean.

If you blame the turf, then I also say the turf is the major factor in global warming.

Yohan
07-22-2009, 08:49 PM
I don't think our goalies have ever stopped a penelty..Aside from last years Carlsberg cup, have they?
I think Sutton stopped one last year no?

pekduck
07-22-2009, 08:49 PM

sutton, stopped columbus crew at bmo if i remembered right, or was it other team?

Antoshka
07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
i believe there was a stopped penalty at DC

gracos
07-22-2009, 08:52 PM
we need big time practice, whether it be converting our chances into the back of the net, or making sure are passes are completed, or to perfect our pks, its a real shame that we have mastered possesion but yet still dont know what to do with the ball

James17930
07-22-2009, 08:53 PM
he's garbage all around, and why didnt we sub in guevara/de rosario in the last couple minutes so they could shoot?

I was wondering that too . . . my thinking is they wanted to see whom else could get the job done.

So -- Ali and Barrett.

Stryker
07-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Honestly guys, don`t even bother getting upset about Velez. Theres no way hes still on this team by the start of next season.
Just laugh at him the rest of the year assured in the knowledge that after this season he`ll never play for a worth while team again.

Darlofletch
07-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Presumably if we're tied with PRI, then penalties will decide things, so jesus fucking christ, yes we need to practice penalties.

PJC
07-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Yes, practice penalties PLEASE! And, don't let Chad or Dichio take one. I don't know how Vitti could have missed that one tonight.

Phil
07-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Practice them yes, but lets not hang Velez, a defender on this. Sometimes I have to do this...:facepalm:

werewolf
07-22-2009, 11:08 PM
we should have subbed in Frei to play in net as well.

colman1860
07-22-2009, 11:15 PM
for being a general useless player.

I didn't think he was a complete waste of space tonight - he sent in a beautiful cross which Gala (who had a very strong game otherwise) should have scored off in the 2nd half. Also, they shut out River Plate - he wasn't bad by any stretch tonight.

manic.street.preacher
07-23-2009, 12:16 AM
from DD9's twitter : Damn!!! I need to practice my PK's more

AL-MO
07-23-2009, 12:20 AM
I'll organize a session for TFC and the English National Team. :D

Shakes McQueen
07-23-2009, 02:09 AM
Practice them yes, but lets not hang Velez, a defender on this. Sometimes I have to do this...:facepalm:

It's very telling that Velez is the only one getting tons of flack for missing, not the actual attacking player (Vitti) who skied his completely over the bar.

Yes, we need to practice penalties, but this was known long before tonight. And I don't fault Dasovic for not putting Barrett and DeRo back in - it was a meaningless game, and a good chance for some different faces to get a hack at it.

- Scott

twistedchinaman
07-23-2009, 02:14 AM
YES!

Yohan
07-23-2009, 04:05 AM
And, don't let Chad or Dichio take one.
uh, you know Barrett scored on his penalty kick, right?

even if he looked like someone stuffed a pickle up his bum. lol

Sláinte TFC
07-23-2009, 07:55 AM
The ball is sitting still. The goal is 10 yds away and the size of the ocean.

If you blame the turf, then I also say the turf is the major factor in global warming.

Ya, turf is not the problem here. Both teams had to play on the same surface and if anything it should give us an advantage in that we train on it and play half our games on it.

By the way, did you guys notice how far the River Plate goalie was coming off his line? The guy was nearly at the 6 yard box by the time any TFC player took a kick. That turned a 10 yarder to 5 yarder and the ocean into a pond.

Yohan
07-23-2009, 07:59 AM
What was up with every PK taker trying to hit top corner of the net?

Well placed shot > power on PKs

Ageroo
07-23-2009, 08:03 AM
By the way, did you guys notice how far the River Plate goalie was coming off his line? The guy was nearly at the 6 yard box by the time any TFC player took a kick. That turned a 10 yarder to 5 yarder and the ocean into a pond.

Well I am first row behind the goal and it was ok from what I saw. I remember after the first kick or so the ref actually went to RP keeper and told him that he is watching him and to stay on his line. He also told the linesman to look for it as well. It was minimal as I was watching for it....

In any case....the were putting the ball over the net....him coming off his line or not did not have any impact.

Sláinte TFC
07-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Well I am first row behind the goal and it was ok from what I saw. I remember after the first kick or so the ref actually went to RP keeper and told him that he is watching him and to stay on his line. He also told the linesman to look for it as well. It was minimal as I was watching for it....

In any case....the were putting the ball over the net....him coming off his line or not did not have any impact.

True, he could have stood beside the net and had the same result given our placement. But I am on the south west side and had a perfect view. He definitely jumped up a few yards every kick, regardless wether the ref or linesman said anything. Edwards was complaining to the linesman after EVERY shot we took to no avail. It cuts down the angle and might even throw off a shooter on occasion. In the end it isn't a huge deal as it's a meaningless friendly for the squad. Just thought I'd put it out there for discussion...

Belfast_Boy
07-23-2009, 08:13 AM
What was up with every PK taker trying to hit top corner of the net?

Well placed shot > power on PKs

Exactly Yohan!

how can a professional player miss a goal that 8 x 24???? it's almost harder to miss than hit it!!! that was the shits!

and Velez sucked!

Yohan
07-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Exactly Yohan!
and Velez sucked!and Vitti...
couldn't believe how he Beckham'd his PK

106-12
07-23-2009, 08:23 AM
We should always practice penalty kicks . And every smart coach should have 5 players ready at all times.We saw what happened during the season .DERO missed AMADO missed and last year RICKETT missed.You can't blame any player for missing akick it kills your nerves but you can try to have themn ready.

flambe
07-23-2009, 08:27 AM

Have to disagree with you there, not only does his coming off his line reduce the target for the PK taker, but it also is intimidating, you feel the need to rush the kick, hit it harder etc. Therefore leading to more mistakes.

So I would say it actually has a huge impact on the PK.

IMO there is really no excuse for missing the target in a PK, at least make the keeper save it. Otherwise he may also not be there.

And Edwards definatley needs the practice. He was so uncommitted it was laughable. Make your mind up and stick with it, don't fanny about with early movement. Played great for the actual game though.

Ageroo
07-23-2009, 08:31 AM
and Vitti...
couldn't believe how he Beckham'd his PK

You should have seen the look on his face after he missed....priceless!

Ageroo
07-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Have to disagree with you there, not only does his coming off his line reduce the target for the PK taker, but it also is intimidating, you feel the need to rush the kick, hit it harder etc. Therefore leading to more mistakes.

So I would say it actually has a huge impact on the PK.

IMO there is really no excuse for missing the target in a PK, at least make the keeper save it. Otherwise he may also not be there.

And Edwards definatley needs the practice. He was so uncommitted it was laughable. Make your mind up and stick with it, don't fanny about with early movement. Played great for the actual game though.

When you put it that way I have to agree with you.....from behind the net, him jumping the line did not look that bad.....definitely something the boys need to work on. Just surprising some of the choices of kick takers....I would have liked to see OBW taking a crack.

Belfast_Boy
07-23-2009, 08:41 AM
oh well, let hope that they've made their shite quota for the week and the next two games are magic!

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!

Steve
07-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Yes, practice penalties PLEASE! And, don't let Chad or Dichio take one. I don't know how Vitti could have missed that one tonight.

Haha, Chad is so hated that even when he puts his penalty away well, he is STILL told not to take more. Nice.

As for the keeper, yeah, he was off his line WAY too early every time. In fact, on our last kick, I was sure it was going to be called back because it was so obvious. Oh well, I guess for a friendly it doesn't matter (and the ref seemed to have a magic 8 ball to make calls anyway. He was giving fouls to both teams that weren't, and ignoring fouls that were).

But I agree, practice penalties. Our players need to practice scoring, and our keepers need to practice saving.

gtaguy
07-23-2009, 10:06 AM
decided to check out the official river plate website for their comments on the game and to my dismay i find that at any opportunity they tried to bash us and make us look like we were the lesser of the two teams.. I know its a friendly however you don't go off bashing other teams..

http://www.riverplate.com/news/3739-river-vs-toronto-fc-amistoso-2009.html if you can read spanish

google translation..
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.riverplate.com%2Fnews%2F3739-river-vs-toronto-fc-amistoso-2009.html&sl=es&tl=en&history_state0=

i think what pissed me off were a couple of points they made.

1. was bring back players after they were subbed out of the game.
They mentioned that the toronto team was trying to alternate thier players to show good play and finish the game with atleast a good score..
"isn't this the point of a friendly to test and juggle lines when a game doesn't really mean anything"..

2 that toronto is no more then what they showed on the field.
This really hurts becuase i saw 3 clear chances that could have been converted. the team played rather well together in the first half and looked like the better team ..

3 they say that the issue was the lack of rhythem for the river plate side. yeah right.. you showed nothing and your nothing without falcao garcia who was sold to oporto just last week.

my point is if they were so much superior to us then why did this game end up in penalties..

Darlofletch
07-23-2009, 10:17 AM
decided to check out the official river plate website for their comments on the game and to my dismay i find that at any opportunity they tried to bash us and make us look like we were the lesser of the two teams.. I know its a friendly however you don't go off bashing other teams..

http://www.riverplate.com/news/3739-river-vs-toronto-fc-amistoso-2009.html if you can read spanish

google translation..
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.riverplate.com%2Fnews%2F3739-river-vs-toronto-fc-amistoso-2009.html&sl=es&tl=en&history_state0=

i think what pissed me off were a couple of points they made.

1. was bring back players after they were subbed out of the game.
They mentioned that the toronto team was trying to alternate thier players to show good play and finish the game with atleast a good score..
"isn't this the point of a friendly to test and juggle lines when a game doesn't really mean anything"..

2 that toronto is no more then what they showed on the field.
This really hurts becuase i saw 3 clear chances that could have been converted. the team played rather well together in the first half and looked like the better team ..

3 they say that the issue was the lack of rhythem for the river plate side. yeah right.. you showed nothing and your nothing without falcao garcia who was sold to oporto just last week.

my point is if they were so much superior to us then why did this game end up in penalties..

that's a fun translation:D and yes 20,000 locals showed up only for the chance to see the famous river plate. Not to see their own team, or to see two new players maing their debut, or because we were forced to pay for the tickets in our seasons package so we might as well turn up. No, it's just to see the famous river plate.:facepalm: