PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant Beckham column

jloome
07-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Nice to read something this well put together

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mikenorrish/100000729/booing-david-beckham-means-us-soccer-is-finally-credible/

DichioTFC
07-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Nice to read something this well put together

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mikenorrish/100000729/booing-david-beckham-means-us-soccer-is-finally-credible/

very good article, puts everything (BECK"S VANITY, posh spice's enjoyment of anal sex, etc) into perspective. that should probably be the best chant by the Riot Squad.

BTW, is there a fan base that has more global buzz than the Riot Squad? Good for them.

Cashcleaner
07-22-2009, 12:52 AM
^ Agreed. It's certainly a unique point of view, but I think I dig it.

Yes, I’m sure $25 million a year and guest slots on Leno were also a factor. But in many ways, Beckham was drawn to LA by the challenge. Success, for him, would be changing the image of football in America - making it credible.

Which is why his rejection by the Galaxy’s fans is richly ironic.

Because suddenly, by sneering at Beckham and his lack of commitment, the Galaxy look like a proper football club with proper fans.

Yohan
07-22-2009, 01:04 AM
I think this incident will give more credibility to Yank soccer and MLS in general.

LARS's actions and feelings are something that a lot of Eoro football supporters can relate to, and even understand

Shakes McQueen
07-22-2009, 01:29 AM
I said this in the other thread about the incident. The fact that LA fans didn't just take it up the ass from Becks, and cheer him as though nothing had happened, made MLS look more credible, not less.

Great article. Comments fraught with the usual eurosnobbery wherein they intentionally wrongly name the sports the general public care about over here (i.e. "netball", "rounders"), as though they are lesser sports.

- Scott

Super
07-22-2009, 01:40 AM
I said this in the other thread about the incident. The fact that LA fans didn't just take it up the ass from Becks, and cheer him as though nothing had happened, made MLS look more credible, not less.- Scott

Very true indeed. I had to explain this to my wife who was very puzzled by the reaction and why the LA supporters would show such hostility to one of their own players - and a supposed world class player as well. I asked my wife if she would approve of me sleeping with another woman during the winter period, and she said no. I think she got the point.

Personally, I think the reaction by the LA supporters showed the world that we're not desperate for big names and world class players, but instead want to build a proper league where the locals love their club - through and through. The circus has ended. Now it's about football and the love for your club!

Yohan
07-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Very true indeed. I had to explain this to my wife who was very puzzled by the reaction and why the LA supporters would show such hostility to one of their own players - and a supposed world class player as well. I asked my wife if she would approve of me sleeping with another woman during the winter period, and she said no. I think she got the point.

I lol'd, and a very good comparison! :)

Shakes McQueen
07-22-2009, 01:57 AM

Personally, I think the reaction by the LA supporters showed the world that we're not desperate for big names and world class players, but instead want to build a proper league where the locals love their club - through and through. The circus has ended. Now it's about football and the love for your club!

Exactly. It would have been thoroughly pathetic if LA fans were just content to have their star player back. They showed on Sunday that star power isn't worth more than their team.

- Scott

flatpicker
07-22-2009, 08:21 AM
The way that guy writes his article, it sounds like he talking to you in the pub.
Not exactly professional journalism, but I suppose that's the point.

Funny how not 2 mins before I read the article, I was thinking about what a silly name "LA Riot Squad" is.
And then there he is agreeing with me in the column.

Even his comment about the banners....
When I was reading yesterday about that game, looking at the pictures I thought "man, those banners are lame!"

Anyway, the article was fun, he probably has a point... what was it again?
Oh yeah, Beckham's growing US footie by being a screw-up.

ensco
07-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Good article.

Beckham is pretty calculating. It made me wonder if Beckham didn't "snap" deliberately (ie it wasn't spontaneous). Maybe there are people in his orbit that he needed to show that he wasn't going to take all this "crap"

bee dubya
07-22-2009, 10:27 AM
^ yeah, if he's unhappy and the fans are unhappy, there won't be much resistance to him using his escape clause once the season runs out. Then he can go back to Italy or the EPL or to whoever will have him.

Mr. Bigby
07-22-2009, 11:40 AM
I didn't know Posh and Landycakes had so much in common...

grizzle
07-22-2009, 12:40 PM
I didn't know Posh and Landycakes had so much in common...

LOL... QFT

Roogsy
07-22-2009, 12:52 PM

Bang on.

Too bad she didn't say yes to the comparison! :eek: