PDA

View Full Version : Donovan to Italy?

fdasilva
07-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Italian Seria A club Livorno are interested in Landon Donovan, and insist talks with his agent are underway. Check out the article here (http://goal.com/en-us/news/86/italy/2009/07/21/1395479/report-livorno-lining-up-ambitious-bid-for-la-galaxys).

Stryker
07-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Be afraid Landy cakes. Be VERY afraid.

http://www.repubblica.it/2005/j/sezioni/sport/calcio/nazionale/gattuso/gattuso/stor_6080616_17020.jpg

Roogsy
07-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Oh crap...Donovan against Beckham in Italy? I'd love to see that.

To be honest...I think he'd do well.

mmmikey
07-21-2009, 10:17 AM
i would love this move.. just so i can see gattuso or ambrosini "greet" him and thank him for the wonderful comments about their friend. ;)

Stryker
07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
I too think that a mid-tier Seria A club would be perfect for him.
Till Gattuso breaks his legs anyway.

:D

LCB
07-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Italian Seria A club Livorno are interested in Landon Donovan, and insist talks with his agent are underway. Check out the article here (http://goal.com/en-us/news/86/italy/2009/07/21/1395479/report-livorno-lining-up-ambitious-bid-for-la-galaxys).

Yeah, and Livorno too... that's just too perfect, of all the brutal teams for that tool to end up at...

CoachGT
07-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Transfer fee is a bowl of almost warm pasta and bag of used warm up pinnies.

C.Ronaldo
07-21-2009, 11:15 AM
id still like him to score bags of goals for tfc

Super
07-21-2009, 11:27 AM
id still like him to score bags of goals for tfc

I'd love someone with his talent. The personality, not so much.

dal524
07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
thats more of a bottom table team, they've been relagated and came back up this year i think. he will certainly get to play though. maybe he'll warm up to their fascist fans.

LCB
07-21-2009, 12:10 PM
thats more of a bottom table team, they've been relagated and came back up this year i think. he will certainly get to play though. maybe he'll warm up to their fascist fans.

Yep, they're back in Serie A, and have (I believe) gotten hometown hero Lucarelli back too.

Their fans are actually ultra-left-wing, though, not Fascist. They'll love him.

dal524
07-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Yep, they're back in Serie A, and have (I believe) gotten hometown hero Lucarelli back too.

Their fans are actually ultra-left-wing, though, not Fascist. They'll love him.

ya i heard that too, he is pretty good. i couldnt remember specifically just that they were very political minded. i do remember some inappropriate banners during their games though when they were in the top flight.

FluSH
07-21-2009, 01:30 PM

Same here... I think Donovan is a much better fit for Serie A... what was he thinking going to Bundesliga was it?

jloome
07-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Some of Ives' readers think Donovan should cost at least $15 million and shoot for a better team.

Are these people deluded? Or am I not seeing somethign world-class in Landcakes that I should? Is a guy who crapped out twice at Leverkusen and again at Bayern really a $15-m rated striker who should go to Milan or Man Utd. or something?

Yohan
07-21-2009, 08:50 PM
why not?

I think Landycakes is better than Gooch or Dempsey, yet they are playing iin decent teams.

After Landycake's display for USMNT, his stock is at highest right now. He is playing best football of his career right now. Time for whoever to cash in.

At least landycakes won't bitch about the weather so much iin italy

BuSaPuNk
07-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Same here... I think Donovan is a much better fit for Serie A... what was he thinking going to Bundesliga was it?

Compleletley agree with you guys, I can see him doing well in the Serie A especially for a lower to middle range team. The Italian style would help him get plenty of chances to score. *

* That is until as said before Gattusso breaks his legs. LMAO :D

s2cazz
07-21-2009, 09:02 PM
i would love this move.. just so i can see gattuso or ambrosini "greet" him and thank him for the wonderful comments about their friend. ;)
i'd love to see materazzi kick him in the face:flare:

Shakes McQueen
07-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Good fit - newly promoted cellar dwelling team in Serie A would probably suit him well. There would be no pressure, and a player with his skill would probably stand out big time there.

I'd be interested to know if Livorno can offer the Galaxy enough cash to make it worth their while, though.

- Scott

Baggio2TFC
07-21-2009, 09:13 PM
I think thiswould be great for him and MLS. But as stated earlier...I would LOVE to see Gattuso just go nuts on his ass!!! (And you know he will!!)

Yohan
07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
I'd be interested to know if Livorno can offer the MLS enough cash to make it worth their while, though.

- Scott
fixed

thisisinternetclash
07-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Are they meant to be going after him now or in the January window after the MLS season?

ensco
07-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Some of Ives' readers think Donovan should cost at least $15 million and shoot for a better team.

Are these people deluded? Or am I not seeing somethign world-class in Landcakes that I should? Is a guy who crapped out twice at Leverkusen and again at Bayern really a $15-m rated striker who should go to Milan or Man Utd. or something?

They're deluded.

I say Donovan's value is reduced as a result of the Beckham episode. He's gotten a free pass on this on this side of the ocean, but over there, they'll say he's a cancer in the locker room.

Shakes McQueen
07-22-2009, 01:14 AM
They're deluded.

I say Donovan's value is reduced as a result of the Beckham episode. He's gotten a free pass on this on this side of the ocean, but over there, they'll say he's a cancer in the locker room.

How would anything that happened in the Beckham saga mean he's a locker room cancer?

The worst you could say about Donovan in this whole thing, is just that he was an "unprofessional" pussy for not going to Secksy Becksy about these problems personally.

I don't think he's worth $15 million bucks (that's insane), but I don't think his actual value will have decreased for bitching about David Beckham to an author.

- Scott

Yohan
07-22-2009, 01:15 AM
How would anything that happened in the Beckham saga mean he's a locker room cancer?

The worst you could say about Donovan in this whole thing, is just that he was an "unprofessional" pussy for not going to Secksy Becksy about these problems personally.

I don't think he's worth $15 million bucks (that's insane), but I don't think his actual value will have decreased for bitching about David Beckham to an author.

- Scott
consider the inflated value of player nowadays... like, you gotta pay min 5 million pounds for a half decent player

15 million bucks is a bit too much, but I dont think it's that far off

Shakes McQueen
07-22-2009, 01:35 AM
consider the inflated value of player nowadays... like, you gotta pay min 5 million pounds for a half decent player

15 million bucks is a bit too much, but I dont think it's that far off

I'd say $10 million at most - one thing I do think decreased his market value, was his poor trial with Bayern Munich this past winter.

However, I'm not sure I see this transfer happening. As good of a move as it could potentially be for Donovan, I think MLS will ask for a ton of money, since he is essentially the league's most recognizable "star" after Beckham. And that will be money Livorno don't have to throw at an aging American striker with two previous European burnouts already to his name.

- Scott

Yohan
07-22-2009, 01:43 AM
I'd say $10 million at most - one thing I do think decreased his market value, was his poor trial with Bayern Munich this past winter.

However, I'm not sure I see this transfer happening. As good of a move as it could potentially be for Donovan, I think MLS will ask for a ton of money, since he is essentially the league's most recognizable "star" after Beckham. And that will be money Livorno don't have to throw at an aging American striker with two previous European burnouts already to his name.

- Scott
1. Landycakes is 27. hardly an aging striker

2. I think the fact that Landycakes was worth a serious look by Bayern would actually be a plus for Livorno. A team that just got promoted. Maybe not good enough for Bayern, but good enough for Livorno?

Super
07-22-2009, 01:44 AM
I wonder if LA (and the MLS) is going to crush this deal the way they did Twellman and his hopes for a career in Germany. Landon is a very important player to this league, and no doubt the best striker this league has seen in a long time - if not ever (love him or hate him). Just another reason why I seriously wish we would see massive reform to the MLS - not because I want to see players go, but because it hardly makes this league more attractive to players when they see just how possessive it is once the contract has been signed.

http://drrockshow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/glenn_close_fatal_attraction.jpg

I KID, I KID! :D

Yohan
07-22-2009, 01:50 AM
I wonder if LA (and the MLS) is going to crush this deal the way they did Twellman and his hopes for a career in Germany. Landon is a very important player to this league, and no doubt the best striker this league has seen in a long time - if not ever (love him or hate him). Just another reason why I seriously wish we would see massive reform to the MLS - not because I want to see players go, but because it hardly makes this league more attractive to players when they see just how possessive it is once the contract has been signed.

the Yanks aren't going to MLS games to watch Landycakes or Twellman.

Twellman transfer fee was 2 million bucks or something, and it was to Preston, a Championship team. Not enough money, and not enough prestige.
MLS would be more willing to sell players to top tier leagues, such as Eddie Johnson and Clint Dempsey transfer to Fulham, because that actually raised the league's profile.

So given a serious bid by Livorno, a Serie A team, I think MLS will consider hard to let Donovan go.

Plus, I have a feeling that the league is trying to save up enough money to pay for next raise in CBA, plus other investments in the league. A huge transfer fee would help

Super
07-22-2009, 01:57 AM
Ah, yes, you are right, it was Preston that wanted to sign Twellman. Either way, I really felt bad for Twellman, and to me it made the MLS look quite bad as a league and may push away talents who DO want to go overseas, but are afraid that they will be tied down to heavy contracts with the MLS with little chance to make a jump to a club overseas. Preston is not a top club, obviously, but it's a stepping stone - and we already see many talents leave NA to sign with Scandinavian clubs (or whatever) because they'd rather start their career in the Norwegian second division than sign with the MLS and risk ending up like Twellman, who is likely to END his career here without a chance to try out for the big show overseas.

Look, it's not that I want to get rid of the best players in the MLS, but we're not the best league in the world, and I think we'll draw better talent, and certainly keep the best of them as well, if they felt that this league was willing to let them go when they felt ready. That's all I'm saying. Growing up in Denmark I knew the drill: when players outgrow the league they leave - and that's okay.

Shakes McQueen
07-22-2009, 02:04 AM
1. Landycakes is 27. hardly an aging striker

2. I think the fact that Landycakes was worth a serious look by Bayern would actually be a plus for Livorno. A team that just got promoted. Maybe not good enough for Bayern, but good enough for Livorno?

1. Perhaps "aging" was a poor choice of words. I meant he isn't a young, pliable piece of clay like a Freddy Adu, Maurice Edu, or Jozy Altidore. What you see is what you're going to get with Donovan. He is beginning to enter the tail end of his prime.

2. I'm sure they think he's plenty good enough, but like I mentioend before, I just don't see MLS parting with him for a fee acceptable to a small club like Livorno. Christ, if they couldn't agree on a fee with AC Milan to buy Beckham outright, what hope do Livorno have in bagging MLS' second brightest "star"?

- Scott

Yohan
07-22-2009, 02:12 AM
1. Perhaps "aging" was a poor choice of words. I meant he isn't a young, pliable piece of clay like a Freddy Adu, Maurice Edu, or Jozy Altidore. What you see is what you're going to get with Donovan. He is beginning to enter the tail end of his prime.
Sure. But I don't think Livorno is going after a prospect, but an established player who can contribute for their first team right away. He's got at least 4 years of good football left.
If Landycakes helps Livorno stay up in Serie A, I'd think Livorno would consider it a good investment

2. I'm sure they think he's plenty good enough, but like I mentioend before, I just don't see MLS parting with him for a fee acceptable to a small club like Livorno. Christ, if they couldn't agree on a fee with AC Milan to buy Beckham outright, what hope do Livorno have in bagging MLS' second brightest "star"?

- Scott
I think Milan was just being a tight arse, and unwilling to pay MLS their fee.
Hell, MLS still made 10 million bucks out of Becky loan deal (which I suspect Becky paid Milan for Milan to give to MLS).

Seems Milan was trying to use their leverage to try to get Becky as cheap as possible.

Yohan
07-22-2009, 02:18 AM
Ah, yes, you are right, it was Preston that wanted to sign Twellman. Either way, I really felt bad for Twellman, and to me it made the MLS look quite bad as a league and may push away talents who DO want to go overseas, but are afraid that they will be tied down to heavy contracts with the MLS with little chance to make a jump to a club overseas. Preston is not a top club, obviously, but it's a stepping stone - and we already see many talents leave NA to sign with Scandinavian clubs (or whatever) because they'd rather start their career in the Norwegian second division than sign with the MLS and risk ending up like Twellman, who is likely to END his career here without a chance to try out for the big show overseas.
If anything, I think MLS made a good move on blocking Twellman transfer.
I don't think MLS necessarily blocks their players from going to Europe, but if players do go over on a transfer, it has to be good business for MLS, not just for the player. MLS does not want to be seen as a push over, willing to let European teams steal all their talent for bargain.

MLS decided that Twellman deal(who's 29 right now, so it's not like he's going to stay in Europe too long) wasn't good piece of business, so blocked it. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Look, it's not that I want to get rid of the best players in the MLS, but we're not the best league in the world, and I think we'll draw better talent, and certainly keep the best of them as well, if they felt that this league was willing to let them go when they felt ready. That's all I'm saying. Growing up in Denmark I knew the drill: when players outgrow the league they leave - and that's okay.
If a player has European aspirations, then sign short term contracts, and when the contract expires, go sign for an European team on a free transfer.

This is not something new. Plenty of good and promising MLS players do this.

What it teaches players is that contracts are binding, and don't expect to get out of it so easily in MLS. (you hear that, Kenny Cooper and Twellman?)

Super
07-22-2009, 02:29 AM
MLS decided that Twellman deal(who's 29 right now, so it's not like he's going to stay in Europe too long) wasn't good piece of business, so blocked it. I don't see anything wrong with that.

It's not that I do not agree with you on some level, but I do fear that the politics of the MLS FO may force some talent to leave the MLS early on because of the fear that they may end up in a situation similar to Twellman. Bah - I really wish we wouldn't be part of a league where one entity owns ALL players and decide every single move. It just doesn't work well with me, and I'm sure that applies to the majority of players who are part of the league, or who are contemplating a move to the MLS.

Yohan
07-22-2009, 02:51 AM
It's not that I do not agree with you on some level, but I do fear that the politics of the MLS FO may force some talent to leave the MLS early on because of the fear that they may end up in a situation similar to Twellman. Bah - I really wish we wouldn't be part of a league where one entity owns ALL players and decide every single move. It just doesn't work well with me, and I'm sure that applies to the majority of players who are part of the league, or who are contemplating a move to the MLS.
I agree that I don't want single entity any more longer than that is necessary, but it is what it is, and it actually works for MLS right now.

As for the player movement thing, a lot of good rookies will test the European waters after their initial 3 year contract, single entity or not.
On other side, those players that failed in Europe, or had their fill of Euro and return to MLS, so it all evens out more or less. For like every 1 player that sticks to Europe, another 4 fails and returns to MLS it seems. Players like Danny Szetela and Bobby Convey are actually pretty decently talented players.

I don't think the single entity is too much of an issue to any player looking for a steady contract. If it was some team paying transfer fee to sign a player, it might be more of an issue, but a player just looking for a steady paycheck, well, beggars can't be choosers. (or their agents didn't explain MLS rules to them clearly lol)

ensco
07-22-2009, 10:21 AM

This point has weirdly been missed by most of the commentary on this side of the atlantic, but it's been made repeatedly in the British papers.

Show me another player in the world of sports, let alone bigtime sports, who has ever said to a journalist: "_____ is a bad teammate", about a current teammate.

You never, ever do that. You keep it in the room. Doesn't matter if it's true.

CoachGT
07-22-2009, 10:29 AM
This point has weirdly been missed by most of the commentary on this side of the atlantic, but it's been made repeatedly in the British papers.

Show me another player in the world of sports, let alone bigtime sports, who has ever said to a journalist: "_____ is a bad teammate", about a current teammate.

You never, ever do that. You keep it in the room. Doesn't matter if it's true.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!!!!! It surprised me to see any player making a comment about a current teammate, especially with the details that have been mentioned in the pieces that I've read.

It may be that an enterprising journalist can piece together the story from many different (usually off the record) quotes and signals, but to make some of the comments on the record, whether true or not, is beyond the boundary of acceptable for any team.

BakaGaijin
07-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Plus, I have a feeling that the league is trying to save up enough money to pay for next raise in CBA, plus other investments in the league. A huge transfer fee would help

Salary cap is not negotiable within the CBA due to the fact that it a single entity league.

Minimum salaries are negotiable, however, even a respectible increase would only have a marginal impact.

mmmikey
07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Livorno Crushed (http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2009/07/23/1398270/minnows-cremonese-crush-livorno).

Go for it Landycakes!

Bobo
07-22-2009, 08:57 PM
I read that Landycakes' agent is pushing for him to go. Livorno are interested, but have a lot of strikers and might not have the funds.

Yohan
07-22-2009, 09:10 PM
I read that Landycakes' agent is pushing for him to go.
Of course he is. He wants to cash in on his agents fee.

Fuck. Whenever an agent opens his mouth about his client wanting to moveto an another team, I want to throat punch them

Livorno are interested, but have a lot of strikers and might not have the funds.
Landycakes can also play all three attacking midfield positions

TFCRegina
07-22-2009, 09:15 PM

Fuck. Whenever an agent opens his mouth about his client wanting to moveto an another team, I want to throat punch them

he can play anything but goal. the man is so talented.

Bobo
07-22-2009, 09:33 PM

His agent supposedly wrote to Livorno offering Landycakes to them.

kodiakTFC
07-23-2009, 01:31 AM
I hope he doesn't go.

1. I love to hate him
2. He is good for the league

werewolf
07-23-2009, 09:53 AM
I find it funny that the article on ESPN's main page about this possibility mentions nothing of the 3 previous failures in Die Bundesliga.