PDA

View Full Version : Ali Gerba (in training today)

prizby
07-20-2009, 06:09 PM
So from what I have been told, Gerba is really out of shape, so much, that he made Danny Dichio look like Usain Bolt out on the pitch.

In short, his running looked dreadful, but once he was on the ball, his strength and his ability on it, looked real good

discuss :)

Troll
07-20-2009, 06:11 PM
I've been told I'm soon to be the next King of Scotland.

Shakes McQueen
07-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Just what we need. We knew he didn't have pace. A big strong target man with reliable finishing ability around the box will do.

- Scott

jloome
07-20-2009, 06:17 PM
This is the constant knock on him. Don't know what it means yet; it was always the knock on Colin Hamuel too, but the reality was more that he was a guy built like a bull who happened to have a bit of a gut. The "built like a bull" part made it look much worse than it was.

Tend to believe the same is true with Gerba. He's built like a brick shithouse, but has never been fleet-o-foot (although his short acceleration over five or six paces is apparently quite good, and he doesnt need much time to get the ball off his foot.)

Shakes McQueen
07-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Remember that pass from DeRo to Dichio in front of the box, that Dichio couldn't control enough to put in the net, on the weekend? Gerba would bag that, 90 times out of 100. That's the kind od guy we need.

MLS defenses frequently give up bouncers in the box, or fail to properly clear balls out of the box. A guy who can take those balls, and put them in the net, will be invaluable to us.

- Scott

Ageroo
07-20-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't care what he weighs...I have seen him play.....he pounces on balls like nothing I have seen up close....that is what we need. A poacher and a garbage collector.

The City of Toronto may be on strike, but Ali Gerba will pick up all the garbage. (ok...that was a stretch)

Beach_Red
07-20-2009, 06:28 PM
This is the constant knock on him. Don't know what it means yet; it was always the knock on Colin Hamuel too, but the reality was more that he was a guy built like a bull who happened to have a bit of a gut. The "built like a bull" part made it look much worse than it was.

Tend to believe the same is true with Gerba. He's built like a brick shithouse, but has never been fleet-o-foot (although his short acceleration over five or six paces is apparently quite good, and he doesnt need much time to get the ball off his foot.)

Well, we've been complaining about two guys who are about the most fleet-o-foot in the league in Wynne and Barrett, so.....

Shakes McQueen
07-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't care what he weighs...I have seen him play.....he pounces on balls like nothing I have seen up close....that is what we need. A poacher and a garbage collector.

The City of Toronto may be on strike, but Ali Gerba will pick up all the garbage. (ok...that was a stretch)

Exactly. Look at his goals in the Gold Cup for Canada this year - he was bagging leftovers and slow rollers in front of the box.

- Scott

gtaguy
07-20-2009, 06:32 PM

I have to agree with ya..

I do see Gerba more like that bull then the fleet footed montero or a huge but quick footed guy like Cooper that have two distinct striking forms.. what Gerba has is the "finishing" quality that our team is looking for.. I think if you work him and barrett together that this team will get far more goals .. Chad will be able to hold the ball for Gerba and vice versa.. I think this might be where chad and gerba can excel together as a 1 2 punch.... and when you have Dero and Guevara in the back makes the front lines sound quite effective...

prizby
07-20-2009, 06:35 PM
i have always known gerba to have some speed...even for a big man, i always thought he was deceptively fast

Rudi
07-20-2009, 06:40 PM
This news neither surprises me nor makes me concerned.

Ali has always been that way, going back to his days with the Lynx and (especially) the Pittsburgh Riverhounds of the USL. He was BIG back then, but still scoring at the same rate he does now.

gtaguy
07-20-2009, 07:08 PM

LOL...

I vote this the best quote of the year.. :scarf::scarf::scarf:

craigtfc
07-20-2009, 07:51 PM
anything is better then chad barrett!!!!

Shakes McQueen
07-20-2009, 07:53 PM
anything is better then chad barrett!!!!

I'm not going to rehash the entire debate, but I will say that Chad Barrett deserves a lot more respect and "love" from the supporters, than he gets.

- Scott

Yohan
07-20-2009, 08:14 PM

did you just compare Gerba to the PieMan? :drinking:

markus
07-20-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm not going to rehash the entire debate, but I will say that Chad Barrett deserves a lot more respect and "love" from the supporters, than he gets. X2

H Bomb
07-20-2009, 08:28 PM
^^ you know you just rehashed it right? :D

Ossington Mental Youth
07-20-2009, 08:31 PM
im not surprised and im hoping that he will not be reluctant to be whipped into shape when winsper gets his hands on him, im also hoping that it doesnt stop him from scoring the goals we need (its not been a prob in the past with him for other teams but still...)

craigtfc
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
GP G A P
De ro (mid-feild) 16 6 3 9
Guevara (mid-feild) 16 5 4 9
Barrett (striker) 18 4 2 6
Dichio (striker) 17 3 2 5
Serioux (Defender) 18 2 1 3

Up until 9 days ago Dichio had more goals and point then shite barrett and Dichio is a SUB! Plus Adrian Serioux (defender) had just one point less and same amount of goals. I rest my case.

Super
07-20-2009, 08:37 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/08/13/gerba_derosario_cp_260.jpg

He's a big lad, but he's strong and understands the game quite well for a striker. I'm stoked to see him play for us.

drewski
07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm sure Winsper will whip him into shape

Yohan
07-20-2009, 08:40 PM
GP G A P

Up until 9 days ago Dichio had more goals and point then shite barrett and Dichio is a SUB! Plus Adrian Serioux (defender) had just one point less and same amount of goals. I rest my case.
stats never tell the whole story

craigtfc
07-20-2009, 08:42 PM
But they do win games.

H Bomb
07-20-2009, 08:44 PM
but the last 9 days count like any other days so your rested case works against you. and is very silly

craigtfc
07-20-2009, 08:47 PM
well i'm just glad that he'll be riding the pine when Gerba starts to play.

sampace
07-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Everyone has said we need a replacement to Danny Dichio. In my opinion Gerba is his replacement. Personally Gerba is more potenet than Dichio within the box, and he will be our long term replacement. Give him an off season with our trainers and next year he will be LETHAL!

Yohan
07-20-2009, 08:55 PM
well i'm just glad that he'll be riding the pine when Gerba starts to play.
and you're so sure of this because?

for all we know, Vitti is the one getting benched

jloome
07-20-2009, 09:02 PM
and you're so sure of this because?

for all we know, Vitti is the one getting benched

I don't think we lose either way. They'll both end out play as the off-the-man striker, or hole player. Both can beat a backline on the run, whereas Gerber's strenght is working off his defender's shoulder, then being in the right position to clean up junk or take a bass.

Me, I'd go with Vitti 9/10. LAst game, until we changed the lineuop and started headmanning everything to Danny D, Vitti was the most effective player on the pitch. When we go static, he runs past a couple of defenders and gets things going again.

prizby
07-20-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm sure Winsper will whip him into shape

i hear Ali Gerba is "lazy"

drewski
07-20-2009, 09:17 PM

so am I, with enough hounding even lazy people can be pushed to the hounders goal, as my g/f has sadly figured out haha

prizby
07-20-2009, 09:18 PM
so am I, with enough hounding even lazy people can be pushed to the hounders goal, as my g/f has sadly figured out haha

why sadly?

Darlofletch
07-20-2009, 09:27 PM
GP G A P

right, because Voyageur cup games don't count for some reason. his 2 goals and 2 assists in the Montreal games never happened.

Blizzard
07-20-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm not going to rehash the entire debate, but I will say that Chad Barrett deserves a lot more respect and "love" from the supporters, than he gets. X2

Agreed!

prizby
07-21-2009, 10:49 AM
he deserves the "love"

RealG-TFC
07-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Well, a tip of the hat...not love.

mmmikey
07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't think we lose either way. They'll both end out play as the off-the-man striker, or hole player. Both can beat a backline on the run, whereas Gerber's strenght is working off his defender's shoulder, then being in the right position to clean up junk or take a bass.

Me, I'd go with Vitti 9/10. LAst game, until we changed the lineuop and started headmanning everything to Danny D, Vitti was the most effective player on the pitch. When we go static, he runs past a couple of defenders and gets things going again.

Gerber is a mean fisherman. U should see the pike he caught the other day.. very physical on the reel. looks like one of my posts when i type on my iphone. :P

i would agree with the vitti part, he is very effective now that he is being played off a main striker, particularly if its a big physical one. would like to see that continue now that he is playing well.

no offense to barrett, he has done better in the last few games, but i still don't think he offers as much as vitti does to the team as a whole. i DO think he would be terrific as a sub for the last 30 minutes of a game. he has the work ethic to really burn tired legs.

brad
07-21-2009, 11:42 AM
But they do win games.

Sometimes. Other times they are padded when the game is already won.

nimamalek
07-21-2009, 11:50 AM
wasnt too excited about this game until I heard White and Gerba are going to be playng, its going to be a great game.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Cummins, in his latest TFC segment, mentions they are waiting on international clearance for a couple of players (about the 1:10 mark) - I wonder if that’s in reference to “papers” for White and Gerba or are they about to make some signings?

rocker
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Cummins, in his latest TFC segment, mentions they are waiting on international clearance for a couple of players (about the 1:10 mark) - I wonder if that’s in reference to “papers” for White and Gerba or are they about to make some signings?

white and gerba are signed, sealed, delivered. so it must be someone else.
and White was drafted, so there were no papers. he signed with the league before the season started, maybe even before the draft.

Nuvinho
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM

I was wondering the same thing yesterday. I replayed the segment a few times, didn't know if he said international clearance or medical clearance. Thanks for clearing it up.

jloome
07-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Gerber is a mean fisherman. U should see the pike he caught the other day.. very physical on the reel. looks like one of my posts when i type on my iphone. :P

i would agree with the vitti part, he is very effective now that he is being played off a main striker, particularly if its a big physical one. would like to see that continue now that he is playing well.

no offense to barrett, he has done better in the last few games, but i still don't think he offers as much as vitti does to the team as a whole. i DO think he would be terrific as a sub for the last 30 minutes of a game. he has the work ethic to really burn tired legs.

I guess I'm gill-ty of not proofing.

sampace
07-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Ultra Super, could one of the internationals be De Guzman, and the other Jonathan De Guzman? Two DP's in one swoop....capital for MO JOHNSTON!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-21-2009, 12:29 PM
The main thing is he'll finish the chances..Barrett and Viti seem to miss on a consistant basis!..

I knew his pace was bad....but Big Danny out running him...;)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-21-2009, 12:30 PM
is Ali a go for columbus??

felipe
07-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Ali Gerba spelt backwards is abergila

And the man is a monster - let the man eat his pies in peace; he's gonna score goals by the bushel and deliver us into the playoffs!

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-21-2009, 12:35 PM
white and gerba are signed, sealed, delivered. so it must be someone else.
and White was drafted, so there were no papers. he signed with the league before the season started, maybe even before the draft.

I don’t what to think - the people who cover the TFC professionally seem to be doing a poor job. From the #23 sighting on TFC TV, it’s apparent there’s at least one player trialing with the team, yet no mention of it anywhere.

My guess / hope is the comment is in reference to Pozniak and Souleymane Mamam.

sampace
07-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Who is Mamam and where did he play out of, sounds French?

Nuvinho
07-21-2009, 12:43 PM
is Ali a go for columbus??

CC said yes!!

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Who is Mamam and where did he play out of, sounds French?

He’s Togolese and most recently played with a Belgian club:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souleymane_Mamam

Derko
07-21-2009, 01:28 PM
GP G A P

And if Guevara had not had a 2 goal game earlier in the season, he would only have 7 points.
TFC have inadequate scoring from mid-field and strikers, I don't think you can rest that case of your just yet. Hopefully Gerba & White will increase the goal production. We cannot depend on a Poacher alone, am I right!!

Yohan
07-21-2009, 01:32 PM
TFC have inadequate scoring from mid-field and strikers,
5th in goals scored right now

i don't think inadequate. but more like, inconsistent

Derko
07-21-2009, 01:35 PM
5th in goals scored right now

i don't think inadequate. but more like, inconsistent

True enough, Inconsistent is the correct word

Nuvinho
07-21-2009, 03:29 PM
just picked up Gerba in the MFLS pool.

craigtfc
07-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Shite Barrett is suppose to be our goal scorer and okay then if you want to take the 2 goals away and Barretts 2 goals away Derko then Guevara would still be beating barrett in the stats situation, and even if we didn't take those 2 goals away from barrett Guevara would still be ahead of him in points.

craigtfc
07-21-2009, 04:15 PM
If you dont include the Voyageur cup this is for the season. Do you see Barretts name anywhere? no so he's never won a season game for us? not even a game winning assist? wow how surprising.
Can I rest my case now?

Game Winning Goals: Danny Dichio (2), Amado Guevara (2), Pablo Vitti (2), Dwayne De Rosario (1)
Game Winning Assists: Nana Attakora (2), Sam Cronin (1), Danny Dichio (1), Marvell Wynne (1)

Super
07-21-2009, 04:23 PM
If you dont include the Voyageur cup this is for the season. Do you see Barretts name anywhere? no so he's never won a season game for us? not even a game winning assist? wow how surprising.
Can I rest my case now?

Game Winning Goals: Danny Dichio (2), Amado Guevara (2), Pablo Vitti (2), Dwayne De Rosario (1)
Game Winning Assists: Nana Attakora (2), Sam Cronin (1), Danny Dichio (1), Marvell Wynne (1)

What about his two against San Jose? Those were 2 game winning goals.

Darlofletch
Can I rest my case now?

Wow, that is the best use of stats ever.:facepalm:

Yohan
lol. i find your outright hatred of Barrett pretty funny

craigtfc
07-21-2009, 04:30 PM
lol yeah i am kinda bitter about the whole barrett issue.

craigtfc
07-21-2009, 04:31 PM
i got those stats stright off the web site

prizby
07-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Can I rest my case now?

you make a valid arguement, but how many times has the 2 goal lead been cuz of Barrett...which helps relieve pressure off the team!

Yohan
07-21-2009, 04:38 PM
didn't Barrett also get the only goal vs Crew at home? that counted for a draw

Shakes McQueen
07-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Can I rest my case now?

I've got a statistic for you:

Voyageur Cup Winning Goals: Chad Barrett (1)

- Scott

Super
07-21-2009, 04:45 PM
didn't Barrett also get the only goal vs Crew at home? that counted for a draw

AND he scored the game-winner in the 1-0 win over Montreal at home in the Canadian Cup. An awesome goal too, that was. Without the goal we would've been out of the tournament even if we beat Montreal 784574335-0 in the final game.

Chad really won us that cup. Winning goal against Montreal at home as well as away. It's nice to know that supporters show their appreciation for an integral man behind winning the club its first trophy. :facepalm:

JDG
07-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Guys, this thread is supposed to be about Gerba, not Barrett.
Get back on track please.

Yohan
07-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Guys, this thread is supposed to be about Gerba, not Barrett.
Get back on track please.
I want to see Gerba do something like this ;)

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=3&id=668

jloome
07-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Yohan, why is there a coonskin cap in your avatar pretending to be a pile of shit?

Yohan
07-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Yohan, why is there a coonskin cap in your avatar pretending to be a pile of shit?
:facepalm:

it's my commemorative montreal win raccoon cap. lol

craigtfc
07-21-2009, 05:07 PM
He did that 10 time in 24 games over in england unlike someone i think who plays for us. I cant say his name anymore but i think his name sounds somthing like sad parrot?

twistedchinaman
07-21-2009, 05:10 PM

Well as long as he cleans up those goalmouth messes by slamming them up the where the opposition's sun don't shine...I'm happy.

This was one thing I never said about Collin Samuel.

Yohan
07-21-2009, 05:20 PM
He did that 10 time in 24 games over in england unlike someone i think who plays for us. I cant say his name anymore but i think his name sounds somthing like sad parrot?
i meant in terms of quality of that goal :facepalm:

S_D
07-21-2009, 05:52 PM
So from what I have been told, Gerba is really out of shape, so much, that he made Danny Dichio look like Usain Bolt out on the pitch.

In short, his running looked dreadful, but once he was on the ball, his strength and his ability on it, looked real good

discuss :)

as long as he doesn't die of a heart attack on the way down to the opposition's goal, i'm not worried about it.

DichioTFC
07-21-2009, 09:09 PM
it would be interesting to see how gerba's pace and positioning compares with the pace / positioning of MLS defenders. The MLS defenders are a step slower than those from the English First League that Gerba was in and obviously slower than the Gold Cup defenders. I have a gut feeling that Gerba's pace (although something we'll talk about here ad nauseum), will really end up being a non-factor... at least thats the hope

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-21-2009, 09:22 PM
I'd say he's a step or two quicker than Dichio.

Derko
07-21-2009, 09:30 PM

As I said , I am really hopeful that Gerba will turn us around as far as consistent scoring, and yes your stats are quite thorough.

Cheers

prizby
07-21-2009, 09:44 PM
I'd say he's a step or two quicker than Dichio.

from what i was told he was slower

Ossington Mental Youth
07-21-2009, 10:01 PM
it would be interesting to see how gerba's pace and positioning compares with the pace / positioning of MLS defenders. The MLS defenders are a step slower than those from the English First League that Gerba was in and obviously slower than the Gold Cup defenders. I have a gut feeling that Gerba's pace (although something we'll talk about here ad nauseum), will really end up being a non-factor... at least thats the hope

i do hope youre right

Alex
07-21-2009, 10:13 PM
you guys want an ali gerba goal just like barretts??? go to 1:55 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzmBOgMB50&feature=related

Alex
07-21-2009, 10:15 PM
oh and then go to about 6:00 and notice who crossed it to radzinski for the goal... against.... Mexico. He doesnt look too slow there.

Super
07-21-2009, 11:00 PM
oh and then go to about 6:00 and notice who crossed it to radzinski for the goal... against.... Mexico. He doesnt look too slow there.

Yeah - pretty sweet. Lots of potential there. I think the slow look is more his way of playing, though. He's built like a tank, and so his style is to use his strength to move the ball forward and produce goals through sheer force. I'm very excited to see how he'll play for us. He could be a massive star in this city. Fingers crossed!

Yohan
07-23-2009, 04:23 AM
Gerba = Canada's Pippo Inzaghi? ;)