PDA

View Full Version : Beckham confronts fan(s)

Mikey
07-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Nice little clip of Beckham calling out fans after they hurt his ego.....

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2009/07/20/david-beckham-in-ugly-confrontation-with-fans-91466-24195679/

I assume the MLS will level charges against him.......hahahaa, yeah right!!

werewolf
07-20-2009, 06:36 AM
:rofl:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=661798&sec=mls&cc=5901

CARSON, Calif. -- Boos rained down and fans sent negative messages with their homemade signs. Things sure got ugly when David Beckham came back to town.
Beckham downplayed the rough reception in his first home game with the Los Angeles Galaxy, a 2-2 tie with AC Milan in which his corner kick set up his team's second goal, although his halftime confrontation with a fan indicated otherwise Sunday night."I'm not disappointed. It doesn't affect me," he said. "You can't be liked by everyone."
Anti-Beckham sentiment ran high as the English star returned after missing half of the Major League Soccer season while on a five-month loan to the Italian club. He was the target of frequent booing and derisive banners held up in a corner of the stadium, where one of the team's fan groups sits.
The signs all had messages directed at Beckham. "Go home fraud" read one, with a red slash through his No. 23 jersey number. Another said, "23: Repent," while another read, "Hey Becks, Here Before You, Here After You, Here Despite You." Another read, "Is evil something u are...or something u do."
At halftime, Beckham walked toward the L.A. Riot Squad section and motioned to a fan to come closer. A man jumped down from the seats and was subdued by security before being taken away.
"One of the guys was saying things that wasn't very nice. It was stepping over the line," Beckham said. "I said, 'You need to calm down and come shake my hand,' and he jumped over."
The man was arrested by Cal State Dominguez Hills police for trespassing because he left the seating area, a Home Depot Center spokeswoman said.
"I know there was some turmoil in the corner but I didn't see it so I can't comment," Galaxy manager Bruce Arena said. "Obviously, there were some dissenters in the early going but I think he won over a lot of people by the end."
Beckham was the last player to take the field after halftime. He hugged several of his former AC Milan teammates and then turned toward the rowdy fan section and clapped his hands before making a gesture.
The banners weren't displayed as often in the second half, when a line of yellow-jacketed security personnel stood below the fans.
"A lot of people predicted this kind of reaction," Beckham said.
In the 65th minute, Beckham walked toward the fan section to take a corner kick. He sent a bending kick at Bryan Jordan, who headed the ball in from 7 feet to tie the game 2-2.
Beckham didn't join in the play. Instead, he turned and faced the fans who had been riding him all game and spread both arms wide as if to say, "What do you want?" He then gestured before walking away.
"Sometimes the supporters don't understand the situation," AC Milan coach Leonardo said.
Beckham left the game in the 75th minute and clapped his hands as he walked off to a mix of boos and cheers. He waved to fans offering a smattering of cheers in an opposite corner before sitting on the bench.
"The cheers in the end drowned out the boos, which was nice," he said.
It marked the end of a rough week for Beckham that began with him and team captain Landon Donovan accusing each other of being unprofessional. Donovan sparked the dispute with comments he made in a new book "The Beckham Experiment."
Arena mediated the clash during a sit down with both players, who later said they had patched things up.
"That's beyond my control," Donovan said when asked about the crowd's reaction to Beckham.
AC Milan dressed a half-strength lineup as it began a four-game preseason tour of the U.S. The seven-time European champions visited the Galaxy as part of the deal that allowed Beckham to remain on loan with Milan through the end of the Serie A season on May 31.
"You don't want to look silly and we definitely didn't look silly," he said about the Galaxy's play.
Beckham has said he again wants to return to Milan after the MLS season.
"We would be happy if he came back because he did really well. He's incredible," Leonardo said. "The precision he has is something very, very special. He never missed the ball. He controlled the ball. The way the Galaxy plays is very, very important. They see that every ball begins with him."
Thiago Silva put AC Milan ahead 1-0 in the 16th minute. The Galaxy tied the game in the 30th minute on a goal by Alan Gordon, assisted by Donovan and Beckham.
The Rossoneri took a 2-1 lead in the 61st minute when Filippo Inzaghi scored against Galaxy backup goalie Josh Saunders off assists by Mathieu Flamini and Ronaldinho.
"He was integral in both goals," Donovan said about Beckham. "There's not another player on a team in this league that can make those plays. It was an exciting game."
Beckham will play six more regular-season home games.
Earlier this year, Beckham said he wanted to remain with the Italian club rather than return to the Galaxy because he believed the level of play was much better in Europe and would help him achieve his goal of playing for England in the 2010 World Cup.
"If it's possible, I think it could be a very good thing for us," Leonardo said about getting Beckham back. "He knows everyone. Everyone loves him in our club."

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/images/2009/0720/davidbeckham412bannersatlagalaxy20090719_275x155.j pg

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 06:56 AM
It's on the BBC as well - It's official, this is the largest cock up in the History of the MLS. This is a 250MM mistake by a league that has players who make $12,000. If this were any other business Don Garber would be out on his ass in a instant. The credibility of the league has taken a massive hit, anyone you talk to from here sees this for what it is... The league is bush, and it will be much longer after this. Seeing this do you think other stars will want to come over...?? Regardless of the build up to this incident. The MLS is, and always has been a low rent league, it now has gone lower. Their megastar is done - he will be on his way out ASAP.

Garber should be sacked for the largest error in league history. He has set "US Soccer" back a decade with this move. I said it when it happened, and the truth will hurt for so many.

mmmikey
07-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Why do u even follow mls? You just complain about everything about it, MLSE and TFC.

Beach_Red
07-20-2009, 07:18 AM
It's on the BBC as well - It's official, this is the largest cock up in the History of the MLS. This is a 250MM mistake by a league that has players who make $12,000. If this were any other business Don Garber would be out on his ass in a instant. The credibility of the league has taken a massive hit, anyone you talk to from here sees this for what it is... The league is bush, and it will be much longer after this. Seeing this do you think other stars will want to come over...?? Regardless of the build up to this incident. The MLS is, and always has been a low rent league, it now has gone lower. Their megastar is done - he will be on his way out ASAP.

Garber should be sacked for the largest error in league history. He has set "US Soccer" back a decade with this move. I said it when it happened, and the truth will hurt for so many.

Yes, but isn't the problem that a star came over? The league isn't ready for stars yet.

NorthAmerica has made the aging star mistake before. At least this time it was only one.

ensco
07-20-2009, 07:19 AM
^not true. TFC were huge beneciaries of the Beckham effect, and all those people who got interested in 2007 aren't just disappearing now

Hitcho
07-20-2009, 08:01 AM

Is this serious or a wind up? If you're being serious then it's incredibly narrow minded and quite stupidly blinkered. How could garber possibly have seen this scenario? I'm not Garber's biggest fan but come on dude, MLS landed Beckham, which was and is huge for the league and has drawn amssive focus since his arrival, most of it good, especially within North America which is what really counts right now. MLS needs to become a viable domestic league before it starts worrying about the rest of the world and Beckahm has pushed that forward without doubt. Bringing in beckham, hasn't taken the league backwards at all and it wasn't a mistake to do so, it was a huge coup in fact (for the league if not LAG in the result).

I don't think this "incident" will do any damage to MLS as a league within N America to be honest, let alone the rest of the world. Domestically, it has added some spice to the league and will pique interest in the same way a controversial hockey game does so. It's not going to kill the league, in fact more people will probably tune in now to see what's going on and what might happen. Internationally, it's just another Beckham headline in MLS and hardly likely to send shockwaves round the globe. And according to you the league has no kudos to lose anyway, so what's the big deal and how can it be a "250MM" screw up if this is such a bush league to begin with? You're contradicting yourself.

ilikemusic
07-20-2009, 08:05 AM
:lol:

I love it!

What a clown!

werewolf
07-20-2009, 08:09 AM
hopefully the circus continues into the league games and it becomes more of a distraction. Since LA are one point ahead of us in the logjam playoff race.

rocker
07-20-2009, 08:10 AM
what an idiot Beckham is for that move...

what the heck was he trying to do there? i thought "professionals" just get off the field and go to the dressing room at halftime, not confront fans.

I feel sorry for MLS. Beckham is totally unprofessional there. I'm sure Garber didn't tell him to go over there.

Jay P
07-20-2009, 08:15 AM

:picard: this about sums it up.

what you said is a slap in the face to everyone thats followed MLS since the beginning.

Garber has taken this league a long way since he has taken over, its not perfect but it is on the right path.

rocker
07-20-2009, 08:18 AM
you guys should add Kingpin to your ignore list. It was made for guys like him.

Kingpin just set this board back 10 years. ;)
I prefer his old nickname, "TiT"! hahah

jabbronies
07-20-2009, 08:23 AM
^not true. TFC were huge beneciaries of the Beckham effect, and all those people who got interested in 2007 aren't just disappearing now

I wouldn't say huge. Yes I'm sure a couple thousand fans (scalpers) bought season tickets due to the beckham effect. But are you saying that a great deal of the success TFC has had was due to Beckham? I'dlike to see real numbers that support that. I'd like to know. From what I've read 10,000 of 14,000 season tickets were sold before Beckham signed. Even when Beckham decided not to show up in Season 1, no one was asking for a refund like they were down south.

Anyone, not just you, who thinks that, please provide details as to how David Beckham made soccer big in MLS places like Toronto, DC, New England, Chicago?

The Beckham effect was a fad that was meant to boost up places like KC, Columbus, Colorado...and boost it's credibility to the soccer world.
it didn't do the job.

Bluenose13
07-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Is this serious or a wind up? If you're being serious then it's incredibly narrow minded and quite stupidly blinkered. How could garber possibly have seen this scenario? I'm not Garber's biggest fan but come on dude, MLS landed Beckham, which was and is huge for the league and has drawn amssive focus since his arrival, most of it good, especially within North America which is what really counts right now. MLS needs to become a viable domestic league before it starts worrying about the rest of the world and Beckahm has pushed that forward without doubt. Bringing in beckham, hasn't taken the league backwards at all and it wasn't a mistake to do so, it was a huge coup in fact (for the league if not LAG in the result).

I don't think this "incident" will do any damage to MLS as a league within N America to be honest, let alone the rest of the world. Domestically, it has added some spice to the league and will pique interest in the same way a controversial hockey game does so. It's not going to kill the league, in fact more people will probably tune in now to see what's going on and what might happen. Internationally, it's just another Beckham headline in MLS and hardly likely to send shockwaves round the globe. And according to you the league has no kudos to lose anyway, so what's the big deal and how can it be a "250MM" screw up if this is such a bush league to begin with? You're contradicting yourself.Very well said & most people without an agenda will agree with you. Also having Beckham excell while with AC Milan & England just proves that the MLS didn't overspend for a finished over the hill star, this guy can still play at the worlds top level.

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 08:30 AM
:picard: this about sums it up.

what you said is a slap in the face to everyone thats followed MLS since the beginning.

Garber has taken this league a long way since he has taken over, its not perfect but it is on the right path.

Why is that exactly? Because players like Angel, Schelletto, Blanco, Ljungberg were just itching to come here before weren't they?

Like him or not, like it or not. Beckham's presence did exactly what they asked for in the MLS.

It raised the league's profile. Did it not? How many MORE people know of our league internationally because of Becks? Any news is good news when you're trying to make a name for yourself.

It brought other skilled European/South American players into the league, even if it is only for a season or two.

It happened to put asses in seats. One of the largest problems in the MLS.

Sure, there are always going to be negatives no matter what the situation. In this case, Landy being pissed has actually been a good thing as any article including Beckham and drama is BOUND to make waves in the UK.

Parkdale
07-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Is this serious or a wind up?

if you have to ask.....

jabbronies
07-20-2009, 08:31 AM
This statement I agree with.

It's on the BBC as well - It's official, this is the largest cock up in the History of the MLS. This is a 250MM mistake by a league that has players who make $12,000.

These two are just classic European snobbery quotes that every Euro football pundit thinks.

The credibility of the league has taken a massive hit, anyone you talk to from here sees this for what it is... The league is bush, and it will be much longer after this. Seeing this do you think other stars will want to come over...?? Regardless of the build up to this incident. The MLS is, and always has been a low rent league, it now has gone lower.

The MLS needs to ingnore the Euro snobs and focus in what it has been doing well for the past few years, growing American talent. Thier National squad is proof that they are doing some things right. They just need to remove the circus part of the equation and focus on real football development.

Euro snobs will never take the American game. Even if it were to grow to big heights. That's just a fact of society. Stop trying to cater to wrong groups, and focus on what is catching on.

Jay P
07-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Why is that exactly? Because players like Angel, Schelletto, Blanco, Ljungberg were just itching to come here before weren't they?

Like him or not, like it or not. Beckham's presence did exactly what they asked for in the MLS.

It raised the league's profile. Did it not? How many MORE people know of our league internationally because of Becks? Any news is good news when you're trying to make a name for yourself.

It brought other skilled European/South American players into the league, even if it is only for a season or two.

It happened to put asses in seats. One of the largest problems in the MLS.

Sure, there are always going to be negatives no matter what the situation. In this case, Landy being pissed has actually been a good thing as any article including Beckham and drama is BOUND to make waves in the UK.

I agree w/ you, I disagre w/ Kingpin saying it was a mistake, setting back US soccer.....

C.Ronaldo
07-20-2009, 08:36 AM
at the end of the day

hes still playing in the MLS, he's still selling shirts and ads, and he's still a star player.

He also still has more contacts with players outside the league than most agents do.

So when he finally decides to buckle down, own a team, and bring in some players into the MLS. He can do so at the snap of his fingers.

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 08:38 AM
It definitely HASN'T set back US soccer. If anything US soccer is the best it's EVER been. Take note of their recent results in the Confed Cup. Losing 3-2 to Brazil in the final. Not too shabby for a country completely set back into the middle ages by bringing an oh so over the hill David Beckham into the league. :rolleyes:

Oh and about that 250MM mistake by the MLS. How exactly is it a mistake by the MLS when they've surely profited from him, and moreso, how is that great sum of money being attributed to the MLS? The MLS is paying David Beckham $415 a year is it not? Over 5 years that would have been a total of a hefty $2M. Um... doesn't that fall a little short of the $250MM mistake that's being quoted?

Before you 'euro snobs' go trashing the league of the team you support over a decision that you're basically saying was a major and crippling mistake (ok a little heavy there, but you get the point), give your head a shake and think about the POSITIVES that have come out of this.

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 08:39 AM
at the end of the day

hes still playing in the MLS, he's still selling shirts and ads, and he's still a star player.

He also still has more contacts with players outside the league than most agents do.

So when he finally decides to buckle down, own a team, and bring in some players into the MLS. He can do so at the snap of his fingers.

Bingo, Bango, fucking BONGO!

DichioTFC
07-20-2009, 08:44 AM
The MLS can raise its profile through steady growth, better development of its youngsters and retention of its stars (when the bigger names start showing loyalty to a club, fans will too).

MLS needs to stop being so ambitious (i.e. competing with top clubs) and focus on their domestic markets first. Make sure the fans keep buying tickets and everything else will work out.

DichioTFC
07-20-2009, 08:49 AM
:topic:
If this were in Toronto, how many beers would he have been hit with? I would LOVE to see someone try that with 112 and 113.

olegunnar
07-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I think it's funny some people are talking about Euro snobs etc. Funny because I think they're half right...half right in that all of this Beckham stuff is based on a foundation of xenophobia. Half right in that it's the Yanks xenophobia that's driving this bs and not the Euro snobs.

I wonder if the roles were reversed, the American was going back and forth between Europe and MLS and the "foreigner" was the one staying put on the team (disguising his lack of options as some form of loyalty to the league) it there would be this kind of backlash.

I doubt it.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Respect to the LA Riot Squad.

Beach_Red
07-20-2009, 08:52 AM
at the end of the day

Well, we'll see, I guess.

So far, no other player has followed him.

Blanco, Angel, Schellotto, Ljunberg (or guys at the same stage of their careers) wouldn't have played in MLS 5-10 years ago, but what's a bigger factor to their coming now? Beckham, or that the league is a little more mature, has this tupid DP rule to pay them (which, sure, is the Beckham factor), has teams in better markets, has upped its attendance and increased its TV exposure?

If the league keeps going as it is, in another 5-10 years the salary cap will higher and higher profile players will come to MLS. But to mature theleague, lke anything else, actually has to pass through the stages of development. You realy can't skip too many phases (that's what the NHL tries to do dropping teams in markets that have never seen hockey where no one has ever played the game and it's really not working).

Parkdale
07-20-2009, 08:55 AM
the 'designated player' rule was invented for Beckham.

there are many players in the league now, who wouldn't be here if not for that rule.

therefore, beckham coming to the MLS helped make it easier for other, talented players to come here for a wage they deserve.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Beckham should have and DID receive props for helping bring in the DP rule and bringing a spotlight to MLS.

However, that was 2.5 seasons ago and since then he's done nothing but damage to this league.

Let's keep things in perspective here folks. One good thing does not erase a bad.

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Beckham should have and DID receive props for helping bring in the DP rule and bringing a spotlight to MLS.

However, that was 2.5 seasons ago and since then he's done nothing but damage to this league.

Let's keep things in perspective here folks. One good thing does not erase a bad.

Maybe I'm a little tired still, but what 'damage' has he done exactly? Other than piss Landycakes off and some of his 'fans'?

jabbronies
07-20-2009, 09:01 AM
therefore, beckham coming to the MLS helped make it easier for other, talented players to come here for a wage they deserve.

While the hard working players already in the mls are stuck with making $30,000/year.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Seriously Jay? You don't see the mess he's created with the loan spell, the "will he/will he not return?" debacle, the Gullit affair and subsequent Lalas dismissal, and the damaged relationship with the fans as a bad thing?

Would we put up with that from any Toronto players? I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't. Playing a handful of games in 3 seasons does not "commitment" make, at least not in my opinion. The only thing I hear from him are words, not actions.

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 09:02 AM
While the hard working players already in the mls are stuck with making $30,000/year.

At no fault of Beckham or any other DP's...

I'm sorry, it sucks making little to no money but it's not like the MLS is the only league in the world that pays the shit players little to no money. Go ask some Croatians what it's like playing for your club and not being able to afford to support your family, just so you can hope for a chance to move to a larger club.

Parkdale
07-20-2009, 09:07 AM

oh, who on TFC is making $30K

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/3_15_09_salary_info_club.pdf

(based on the 2009 guaranteed compensation chart)

Nana Attakora - $34K
Gabe Gala - $34K
Emanuel Gomez - $25K
Amayou Sayang - $40K

other than Attakora, the rest of the group are hardly "hard working players"
well maybe they work hard at practice, but not in games.

side note: Cronin's 'base salary' is $34K but his 'guaranteed compensation' is $84,000. Big difference.

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Seriously Jay? You don't see the mess he's created with the loan spell, the "will he/will he not return?" debacle, the Gullit affair and subsequent Lalas dismissal, and the damaged relationship with the fans as a bad thing?

Would we put up with that from any Toronto players? I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't. Playing a handful of games in 3 seasons does not "commitment" make, at least not in my opinion. The only thing I hear from him are words, not actions.

Do I see it? Yes. Do I think it's a problem of the MLS? No. It's definitely a problem for LA, no doubts there. That's their own mess that they created by bringing in such a player at such a high calibre. It's not like Beckham's decisions have any real lasting effects on fans from outside LA, do they? If anything, this has made the owners/managers have to be smarter when bringing in DP's. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but after Beckham came in a few teams were trying to bring in players just because they had some history behind their names, yet... failed to make an ounce of impact. Now those same managers are looking for proper impact players, that will get them their bang for their buck.

Beckham's commitment is an issue with his teammates and supporters, not ours.

His actions are on the pitch. While he *should* be more commited to LA, would you honestly be if you were in his situation? Much like CR9, Beckham's personal hype makes his condition different from anyone else in the football world. As such, you can't just expect him to be like anyone else. Funny though, how Beckham has never had commitment problems with any other teams. Maybe it's a problem in LA, and not Beckham?

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Because he's never had to face a test of his integrity Jay. it's easy not to have problems when things are going swimmingly as they have for him in his career. When our character isn't tested, there is no need to question it.

However, when the going gets tough, that is when commitment and integrity are tested and on display and Beckham did not demonstrate any of that. That's why I went from fan and admirer to critiquer of his character. I believe he's shown a glaring lack of quality, not on the pitch, but as a person and professional. He calls out Donovan (probably with good reason) but then fails to acknowledge or address his own failings.

He slapped the fans in the face, he should expect that LA fans will not react kindly. He's done jack shit for them, they owe him nothing. In fact, you could argue the opposite. The team were in a better condition prior to his arrival. Sure he added media presence, but in the process everything else about that soccer club suffered.

That's damage my friend. And when it's the marquee club of the club, that's damage for the league.

DichioTFC
07-20-2009, 09:22 AM
:rofl:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=661798&sec=mls&cc=5901
..."That's beyond my control," Donovan said when asked about the crowd's reaction to Beckham....

Did anyone else pick up on this? You're a pretty good player on a team. You come a couple feet from being attacked (while egging on fans, duly noted). You're in the process of adapting to the league and helping the team make it to the playoffs. How does the captain defend you?

Going to the Landyman vs. Becks saga, Landyman could have taken the higher road and went out of his way to be concilatory to the fans and Becks. He chose not to. Landycakes tried to paint the picture of being a victim in this whole scenerio. Doesn't look like he's trying all that hard to be professional.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 09:24 AM
The Beckham/Donovan "makeup" was just for show. I am sure Donovan doesn't care if the fans love or hate Beckham, he knows DB brought it on himself, he's not going to take heat for it. If DB is indeed a professional, why would he need Donovan's protection?

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Because he's never had to face a test of his integrity Jay. it's easy not to have problems when things are going swimmingly as they have for him in his career. When our character isn't tested, there is no need to question it.

However, when the going gets tough, that is when commitment and integrity are tested and on display and Beckham did not demonstrate any of that. That's why I went from fan and admirer to critiquer of his character. I believe he's shown a glaring lack of quality, not on the pitch, but as a person and professional. He calls out Donovan (probably with good reason) but then fails to acknowledge or address his own failings.

He slapped the fans in the face, he should expect that LA fans will not react kindly. He's done jack shit for them, they owe him nothing. In fact, you could argue the opposite. The team were in a better condition prior to his arrival. Sure he added media presence, but in the process everything else about that soccer club suffered.

That's damage my friend. And when it's the marquee club of the club. That's damage for the league.

Oh right, because his career with England was oh so easy. :lol: His character has been tested, on many occasions, and he passed with flying colours. This league, this team, is the only time he's really had problems.

He called out Donovan? You mean, he responded to Donovan's 'calling out'.

I'm sorry, but Landycakes and Buddle would NOT have had the goals they did last year if it was not for Beckham. I stand by that comment 100%.

They were a better team because the idiots behind the wheel dismantled the team to fit Beckham in. The biggest problem LA has had since his arrival, they have no defense. They didn't before, and now they've realized it, they're slowly trying to plug that hole.

Why is no blame attributed to LA for their own glaring mistakes in both, the handling of Beckham and their own tactics and man management?

jabbronies
07-20-2009, 09:25 AM
oh, who on TFC is making $30K

This isn't about TFC, this is about LA. and there are 5 players who are making $$ in the 30K range. with 2 others just over 40K. Mind you a couple of them are youth players.

Point being is that how would you feel if your office manager gave you a contract and said - Even though you are a full time employee, who is present day in and day out, but we can only afford to pay you $35,000 (or 40K or 70K).
Then they turn around and drop $400,000 plus millions in bonuses on a guy who works next to you who is only there for half a year? if that? A guy who is suppose to be considered your equal.

yes it's done all around the world, were some players make more than others, etc etc. But this league isn't ready for this yet until they raise that cap. They shouldn't be paying one player millions more than another.

You think Derosario is going to like seeing DeGuzman making that much more money than him?? It's the same thin in LA

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 09:27 AM
You think Derosario is going to like seeing DeGuzman making that much more money than him?? It's the same thin in LA

Totally agree. I am fearful of consequences should JDG come. DeRo is a professional, but I am sure he will feel slighted. Which means, like any of us, should he get a better deal, why wouldn't he take it?

If everyone is getting "theirs", why shouldn't he?

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 09:29 AM
The Beckham/Donovan "makeup" was just for show. I am sure Donovan doesn't care if the fans love or hate Beckham, he knows DB brought it on himself, he's not going to take heat for it. If DB is indeed a professional, why would he need Donovan's protection?

Because Landy is a little bitch who, despite trying to, is not the 'professional' he claims to be.

A captain ALWAYS backs up his team. Liking a certain player is not a mandatory part of that position. Being a bitch and not confronting a player on his actions, or lack of actions like showing up to practices. Instead of talking to the player face to face, you opt to send them a text message? A FUCKING TEXT MESSAGE? What are you 12?

Landy is as guilty as Beckham, they both handled the situation badly, as did their club.

It's unfair to lay all the blame on Beckham when so many people have fucked up in the process.

Ageroo
07-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Totally agree. I am fearful of consequences should JDG come. DeRo is a professional, but I am sure he will feel slighted. Which means, like any of us, should he get a better deal, why wouldn't he take it?

If everyone is getting "theirs", why shouldn't he?

Do I have to remind you that there is already a JDG thread......keep it over there and stick to Goldenballs in this one....:D

Bluenose13
07-20-2009, 09:34 AM

That's damage my friend. And when it's the marquee club of the club, that's damage for the league.The Galaxy were in better shape before Beckham got there ?????? Roogsy come on now. You keep saying he has done so much damage, What damage are you talking about. Increasing tickets sales ? Increasing exposure to the league ? Letting everyone in north america watch one the greats while he can still play at the top level & not strolling around like a senior citizen collecting a pay cheque ?

If he is guilty of anything, it was poor judgement in the timing of coming to MLS. He thought his career was in decline but when he & everyone else realised that he still has it & his overwhelming desire to win the world cup creeped in, then Becks did what anyone with a dream would do, he did what was best for Becks.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Do I have to remind you that there is already a JDG thread......keep it over there and stick to Goldenballs in this one....:D

Oh snap! Been told! :topic::hide::prrr::dita:

Detroit_TFC
07-20-2009, 09:38 AM

Actually, no. This is simply the other side of the coin. Beckham's roll out was to show BD as MLS's super-superstar. Now with Wahl's book and the Landy/Becks "feud" and the Riot Squad jeers, DB is MLS's villian. Either way, huge press, press that MLS publicists couldn't buy for a million dollars. Now the storyline will be DB wins fans back, like he did after the WC red card. If LAG goes on a winning streak the Riot Squad will gobble DB's knob.

Beach_Red
07-20-2009, 09:39 AM

The DP rule is a terrible idea. But that's not really Beckham's doing.

It's interesting, though, that no other team has gone out and usd the rule to bring in one player of such big money. The other DP players are a lot closer to the rest of their teams.

Still, it would be a lot better to raise the cap and spread it around rather than spend it on one guy.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Because Landy is a little bitch who, despite trying to, is not the 'professional' he claims to be.

A captain ALWAYS backs up his team. Liking a certain player is not a mandatory part of that position. Being a bitch and not confronting a player on his actions, or lack of actions like showing up to practices. Instead of talking to the player face to face, you opt to send them a text message? A FUCKING TEXT MESSAGE? What are you 12?

Landy is as guilty as Beckham, they both handled the situation badly, as did their club.

It's unfair to lay all the blame on Beckham when so many people have fucked up in the process.

Agreed on all counts.

However, Beckham is the one creating the issue, hence in my view, carries more of the blame.

And...it is a noticeable issue that Donovan has played in every Galaxy game except for ones he's missed due to national commitments. While I have no question that if a European team came calling, Donovan would leave for greener pastures, I also believe he wouldn't keep Galaxy fans in the lurch, but rather get up and go. Unlike the circus Beckham has created by wanting his cake and eating it too.

Chevy
07-20-2009, 09:40 AM
The Galaxy were in better shape before Beckham got there ?????? Roogsy come on now. You keep saying he has done so much damage, What damage are you talking about. Increasing tickets sales ? Increasing exposure to the league ? Letting everyone in north america watch one the greats while he can still play at the top level & not strolling around like a senior citizen collecting a pay cheque ?

If he is guilty of anything, it was poor judgement in the timing of coming to MLS. He thought his career was in decline but when he & everyone else realised that he still has it & his overwhelming desire to win the world cup creeped in, then Becks did what anyone with a dream would do, he did what was best for Becks.

----------

This is the key - he thought his top-level career was over when he signed for the Galaxy. Regardless of what you think about his AC/LA dilemma he turned the spotlight to MLS which in the long run will be a good thing.

Also, good on the LA fans for calling him out. Shows that North American fans have some passion for their clubs.:flare:

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 09:47 AM
The Galaxy were in better shape before Beckham got there ?????? Roogsy come on now. You keep saying he has done so much damage, What damage are you talking about. Increasing tickets sales ? Increasing exposure to the league ? Letting everyone in north america watch one the greats while he can still play at the top level & not strolling around like a senior citizen collecting a pay cheque ?

If you had read my posts BN, you would have recognized that I acknowledged his contributions on this front. This was all a direct consequence of his initial signing. Are you saying his job was done there? He signs, gets the shirt deals and the networks deals and doesn't have to commit to the team and the fans?

Agreed. And what a man does when he realizes his error is stand up and correct it. If he wants to play in Europe, get up and go. And say so. Instead, he talks out of both sides of his mouth, talks about "commitment" to growing the game in the US but then plays 6 regular home games this entire season? Come on. Funny thing about commitments is that you can never make too many. You can't marry more than one girl at a time. You can't have more than one full time job at a time. And you can't be "committed" to two teams at the same time. End of story.

As for whether the Galaxy were in a better position before him, I have not argued about the financial impact he has brought. Nobody has. I am talking about the team. The one that actually plays on the pitch. There is one glaring fact that is undeniable and incontrovertible....the Galaxy have made the playoffs every year of their existance except...

every season David Beckham has been signed to the team.

So yeah, DB had a financial impact on the team and the league (but with so much going into his own pockets, I'd have to question exactly how much), however this was done at the sacrifice of the LA Galaxy. And much like the New York Pink Cows, having the two marquee teams in the league suffering is not good for the league, regardless of the global star that plays (part time).

jabbronies
07-20-2009, 09:48 AM
The DP rule is a terrible idea. But that's not really Beckham's doing.

It's interesting, though, that no other team has gone out and usd the rule to bring in one player of such big money. The other DP players are a lot closer to the rest of their teams.

Still, it would be a lot better to raise the cap and spread it around rather than spend it on one guy.

The DP rule isn't terrible. Look at Columbus and Chicago. They both used thier DP slot very well. Sqweeflotto and Blanco are both making huge impacts on thier team on the field.

Beckham, IMO, was brought in to help raise the gates and TV ratings. That's it. It had nothing to do with the game on the field itself.

s2cazz
07-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Maybe I'm a little tired still, but what 'damage' has he done exactly? Other than piss Landycakes off and some of his 'fans'?
i think that he has done good... he has brought awareness of the league... he is bringing even more awreness now with his child-like behaviour and his slapping the league in the face.... he is the one who looks bad not the MLS... I think he is giving the NA Footy fan more credibility because the world knows that we don't care that he's david beckham and he can kick the ball...he is acting like a cunt and we won't stand for it...

I think this whole fiasco is making us look good and him look bad... thats just my humble opinion...

ensco
07-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't say huge. Yes I'm sure a couple thousand fans (scalpers) bought season tickets due to the beckham effect. But are you saying that a great deal of the success TFC has had was due to Beckham? I'dlike to see real numbers that support that. I'd like to know. From what I've read 10,000 of 14,000 season tickets were sold before Beckham signed. Even when Beckham decided not to show up in Season 1, no one was asking for a refund like they were down south.

Anyone, not just you, who thinks that, please provide details as to how David Beckham made soccer big in MLS places like Toronto, DC, New England, Chicago?

The Beckham effect was a fad that was meant to boost up places like KC, Columbus, Colorado...and boost it's credibility to the soccer world.
it didn't do the job.

You've got your facts wrong.
http://www.tsn.ca/story/print/?id=192335

Mikey
07-20-2009, 10:58 AM
I think Beckham needs to focus on playing out the remainder of this season, pissing off back to Italy for next season, retiring after WC2010, then get his ass into Las Vegas Showgirls FC as team owner. I'm sure he wont have any trouble getting a franchise from Garber.

Parkdale
07-20-2009, 11:00 AM

and what do facts have to do with anything around here?

:rolleyes::D

jabbronies
07-20-2009, 11:01 AM

sorry, seems MLSE was spreading BS to the toronto star:
http://www.thestar.com/article/241486

and they even went back on this a few months after:
http://www.thestar.com/article/241931

So I didn't get my facts wrong, MLSE did.

And even if they did exaggerate thier stats it wasn't by much.

Darlofletch
07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Do I see it? Yes. Do I think it's a problem of the MLS? No. It's definitely a problem for LA, no doubts there. That's their own mess that they created by bringing in such a player at such a high calibre. It's not like Beckham's decisions have any real lasting effects on fans from outside LA, do they? If anything, this has made the owners/managers have to be smarter when bringing in DP's. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but after Beckham came in a few teams were trying to bring in players just because they had some history behind their names, yet... failed to make an ounce of impact. Now those same managers are looking for proper impact players, that will get them their bang for their buck.

Beckham's commitment is an issue with his teammates and supporters, not ours.

His actions are on the pitch. While he *should* be more commited to LA, would you honestly be if you were in his situation? Much like CR9, Beckham's personal hype makes his condition different from anyone else in the football world. As such, you can't just expect him to be like anyone else. Funny though, how Beckham has never had commitment problems with any other teams. Maybe it's a problem in LA, and not Beckham?

I'm pretty sure he was still a Real Madrid player when the initial Galaxy deal was announced.

Beckham's definitely done good things for the league and certainly upped the league's profile, but I love the message the LA supporters sent.

If you're going to treat my league and my team with such blatant and unhidden disrespect, then you can fuck right off.

keem-o-sabi
07-20-2009, 11:28 AM
you guys should add Kingpin to your ignore list. It was made for guys like him.

Kingpin just set this board back 10 years. ;)
I prefer his old nickname, "TiT"! hahah

I think I may have to join the club with this ignore thing.

Yohan
07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm pretty sure he was still a Real Madrid player when the initial Galaxy deal was announced.

Becks signed the contract with less than 6 months to go on his contract, and it was legal in La Liga for a player to negotiate with another team for a contract that'd start at the end of his current contract.

Becky still showed commitment to RM and played well until the end of his RM contract.

Darlofletch
07-20-2009, 11:33 AM
i think that he has done good... he has brought awareness of the league... he is bringing even more awreness now with his child-like behaviour and his slapping the league in the face.... he is the one who looks bad not the MLS... I think he is giving the NA Footy fan more credibility because the world knows that we don't care that he's david beckham and he can kick the ball...he is acting like a cunt and we won't stand for it...

I think this whole fiasco is making us look good and him look bad... thats just my humble opinion...

100% agree with this. Supporters showing resepct for their team, rather than fawning over a "world class player" who's completely half arseing it.

WestStandGeoff
07-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Seeing this do you think other stars will want to come over...??

If the stars you are referring to are ones that only want to play half the season and get loaned out to a European club for the other half, then do we really want them coming to our league anyway?

MLS has grown to the point where world class footballers actually want to come - maybe not World Footballer of the Year winners, but there is certainly a place for talented gents such as Ljungberg, Angel, Schelletto, Blanco, just to name a few.

Becks is going to take way more damage in the PR department than MLS because of this.

Shakes McQueen
07-20-2009, 11:52 AM
I think this makes MLS look fantastic, because it shows that the Galaxy fans aren't going to take it up the ass, simply because he's David Beckham. Good on them.

I don't think they should boo him every touch for the rest of the season, and by the sounds of things, most of the boos had already turned to cheers by the time he was subbed anyway.

- Scott

Beach_Red
07-20-2009, 12:04 PM
The DP rule isn't terrible. Look at Columbus and Chicago. They both used thier DP slot very well. Sqweeflotto and Blanco are both making huge impacts on thier team on the field.

Beckham, IMO, was brought in to help raise the gates and TV ratings. That's it. It had nothing to do with the game on the field itself.

You're right, Columbus (Sqweeflotto is funny) and Chicago are using the DP slot very well (and TFC is trying to) - but that doesn't make the rule a good one. As you say, LA used it with Beckham but it had nothing to do with the game on the field.

MLS is lucky that more teams didn't follow the LA example. It's just impatience. MLS will grow into a league that can spport signings of big-name players, but it can't be falsely rushed to that point.

rocker
07-20-2009, 12:04 PM
as long as you don't fuck off to Europe, leaving your MLS team and its diehard fans behind, you won't get this treatment. Name me 1 other DP who has ever had this happen? None.

So hopefully it'll keep a guy IN MLS... next time some DP thinks of running away from his team, to come back and lie about how much he wanted to support soccer in America, then he'll get this treatment.

Sounds about right to me.

Yohan
07-20-2009, 12:09 PM
You're right, Columbus (Sqweeflotto is funny) and Chicago are using the DP slot very well (and TFC is trying to) - but that doesn't make the rule a good one. As you say, LA used it with Beckham but it had nothing to do with the game on the field.

MLS is lucky that more teams didn't follow the LA example. It's just impatience. MLS will grow into a league that can spport signings of big-name players, but it can't be falsely rushed to that point.
I'd bet Shitlicker would still be in MLS. he's only making about Landycakes level of salary right now, and Landycakes was in MLS before DP came into effect.
Same with Christian Gomez and Emilio

Cashcleaner
07-20-2009, 12:10 PM

With any other league or organization I would agree with you, but the Galaxy and MLS have a special relationship between them that you don't see with other clubs. There's no denying the fact that LAG is often promoted as a flagship club in many ways - think of it as the face of the league throughout the rest of the world. The very fact of Beckham's arrival to MLS has to do with petitioning primarily from the LAG ownership and the subsequent creation of the DP rule.

ensco
07-20-2009, 12:11 PM
sorry, seems MLSE was spreading BS to the toronto star:
http://www.thestar.com/article/241486

and they even went back on this a few months after:
http://www.thestar.com/article/241931

So I didn't get my facts wrong, MLSE did.

And even if they did exaggerate thier stats it wasn't by much.

We've caught the team in a little white lie about just exactly how important Beckham was to the original seat sales process.

I think the momentum Beckham gave TFC, at a critical time in the team's development, was huge. I remember the calls I got from my rep (pre-Beckham) because I was mulling taking extra seats. They were very anxious about seat sales pre-Beckham.

Setting aside that we disagree on this point, the revisionist stuff the team is putting out is really interesting.

Stryker
07-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Beckham: Bruce... why are those people booing?
Arena: They're umm.. booing Milian for trying to take you away David.
Beckham: Are you sure? They seem to be booing directly at me.
Arena: I'm sure David. What reason could they possibley have to boo you for? Your the greatest soccer player in the world.
Beckham: *smiling* Well yes I supose thats true.
Arena: Of course its true. Now get out there and show em how great you are.
Beckham: Will do mate.
Beckham: *jogs onto field only to return seconds later*
Beckham: Bruce, Landon just told me Victoria was a slut.
Arena: *Face to palm*

mmmikey
07-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Actually, no. This is simply the other side of the coin. Beckham's roll out was to show BD as MLS's super-superstar. Now with Wahl's book and the Landy/Becks "feud" and the Riot Squad jeers, DB is MLS's villian. Either way, huge press, press that MLS publicists couldn't buy for a million dollars. Now the storyline will be DB wins fans back, like he did after the WC red card. If LAG goes on a winning streak the Riot Squad will gobble DB's knob.

great comment. this is fantastic for the league. horrible for LA maybe, but great for MLS. tremendous marketing. too bad the marketing guru thinks its "bush league"

Yohan
07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
dear becky,

thanks for all the free publicity you're attracting for MLS

it was a good game, and I enjoyed it.

but the newspapers today isn't talking about your team, but about your antics with fans

well, I guess there's no such thing as a bad publicity, and at least this incident made more people take note of MLS

some love,
-me

mmmikey
07-20-2009, 12:47 PM
beckham wasn't being 100% honest. he was trying to keep everyone happy and failed. shame on him. he seems to have learned his lesson this time by openly stating he would like to do the same thing this year. good on him for that. however that works out remains to be seen.

but u know who is at fault in all this? LAG management. they let beckhams ppl influence club matters, they failed to assemble a squad competent of competing with 2 players making 400k of the cap. meanwhile if JDG signs, so will TFC between him and DeRo, and we still have a good roster, albeit not 100% done, it's a helluva lot closer to being done than LAG is...

they have let a player dictate terms to them, and failed to continue to field a competitive lineup. they knew what their cap was going to look like, but appear to have had no plan in place to cope with it. how is this ALL beckhams fault?

in the end, it's made MLS a talking point. in addition to the 1 time ticket revenue, even if ppl don't all tune in for the product on the field if MLS kept even 10% of those casual viewers as permanent fans, than they are up in the grand scheme of things as it is. if you were already a fan of MLS before beckham i believe there is a level of dedication there that doesn't disappear just cause beckham, little twerp landycakes and LAG can't get their house in order.

Brooker
07-20-2009, 02:11 PM
i love it! i fucking love it!

Beckham showing his true colors and how much class he actually lacks. but im sure people will still defend him.

what kind of professional calls out his own fans, swearing at them and challenging them to come down to the pitch to fight. TO FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

CLASSLESS TWAT.

David Beckham is an embarrassment and I hope he crashes out in the World Cup in a ball of flames and disapears into oblivion. that's all he deserves.

Parkdale
07-20-2009, 02:13 PM
what kind of professional calls out his own fans, swearing at them and challenging them to come down to the pitch and fight

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/11/23/sports/artest.184.2.650.jpg

Brooker
07-20-2009, 02:14 PM
i said what kind of professional, not what kind of felon.

:)

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 02:21 PM
i love it! i fucking love it!

Beckham showing his true colors and how much class he actually lacks. but im sure people will still defend him.

what kind of professional calls out his own fans, swearing at them and challenging them to come down to the pitch to fight. TO FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

CLASSLESS TWAT.

David Beckham is an embarrassment and I hope he crashes out in the World Cup in a ball of flames and disapears into oblivion. that's all he deserves.

To fight? Where did you see/read this? Everything I've read said that he was calling him down to talk to him, not fight him.

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 02:21 PM
I think it's awesome that he went after the fan! Absolutely brilliant!! He should have done a Cantona... You know, that "CLASSLESS TWAT." HAHAHA! So funny...

Shep
07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
i said what kind of professional, not what kind of felon.

:)

http://www.christhedon.com/Previous_files/Eric_Cantona_kung-fu_kick.jpg

hehe, sorry, I agree with you, but had to post this :o

Shep
07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I think it's awesome that he went after the fan! Absolutely brilliant!! He should have done a Cantona... You know, that "CLASSLESS TWAT." HAHAHA! So funny...

wow good timing, I was linking the photo as you wrote that

Brooker
07-20-2009, 02:26 PM
To fight? Where did you see/read this? Everything I've read said that he was calling him down to talk to him, not fight him.

to talk to him?

TO TALK TO HIM?

ahahahah yeah i'm sure that's what he ment.

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 02:27 PM
to talk to him?

TO TALK TO HIM?

ahahahah yeah i'm sure that's what he ment.

and I'm sure he really wanted to call a supporter out to fight him in the middle of a game.

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 02:28 PM
wow good timing, I was linking the photo as you wrote that

It must be noted that I think Cantona is awesome. Even though he played for ManU. He's so entertaining!

Brooker
07-20-2009, 02:29 PM
and I'm sure he really wanted to call a supporter out to fight him in the middle of a game.

you're right. he didn't want to fight.

he was standing behind security calling somebody out, knowing by the time the guy gets down security has got him. same old story.

does "say that to my face" mean I just want to talk this thing out? I'm guessing no.

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 02:34 PM
you're right. he didn't want to fight.

he was standing behind security calling somebody out, knowing by the time the guy gets down security has got him. same old story.

And I'm sure buddy who jumped down was cheering by the end just like all his little girlfriends.

People love to hate Beckham, mostly because of his status. Thing is, when he plays, people enjoy watching him play. Beckham probably got the guy kicked out for hopping over the railing, which is probably what he was going for anyway.

Brooker
07-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Beckham probably got the guy kicked out for hopping over the railing, which is probably what he was going for anyway.

and why did the guy jump over the railing? because Beckham challenged him.

there was no "let's talk this out" as you put it.

it was just two idiots being macho.

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Where did I say that? I said I'm sure he really wanted to fight someone in the middle of a game. Then I said he probably got what he wanted when the guy jumped the rail and got kicked out. Mission accomplished, yes?

Brooker
07-20-2009, 02:39 PM

Where did I say that?

here

Everything I've read said that he was calling him down to talk to him

The Kingpin
and why did the guy jump over the railing? because Beckham challenged him.

it was just two idiots being macho.

He said 'macho'... :willy_nilly:

rocker
Where did I say that? I said I'm sure he really wanted to fight someone in the middle of a game. Then I said he probably got what he wanted when the guy jumped the rail and got kicked out. Mission accomplished, yes?

yup, and ain't that PRO-fessional!

Sab0tage
07-20-2009, 02:40 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/11/23/sports/artest.184.2.650.jpg Slightly different. No one in LA threw shit at Beckham while he was lying down. While I agree that what Artest did was uncalled for, it's not really the same. Artest didn't yell at the fans and challenge them to fight him, and they weren't even his fans. The Detroit fans started that entire thing by throwing a cup at Artest, but yeah, he did go overboard.

Shaughno
07-20-2009, 02:44 PM
here

Yeah, he called him down to talk to him. I didn't say that he called him down to 'talk it out' as you put it. As I've stated, he probably did it to try and get the guy kicked out. There was no intent to actually talk to the supporter, and why would there be?

yup, and ain't that PRO-fessional!

And Zidane's headbutt was oh so proffessional.

Oh and Cantona's kick was as well.

How about something closer to home? Van Der Bergh tossing beer back into the stands? Eddie Johnson trying to 'shh' the home support after a beer.

I guess that's all perfectly fine for professionals to do as well right?

Jeeeeesus. Athletes, like all of you, are humans as well. Nobody's perfect.

JonO
07-20-2009, 02:47 PM
I tend to believe Beckham's version of this story. He has been through much worse shit than this in the past and never confronted a fan. I wouldn't be suprised if he was trying to call the guy down to shake his hand and get past the issue. Shows poor judgement rather than poor class imho

Sab0tage
07-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Who said that Zidane or Cantona were professional in what they did? Beckham wasn't professional in what he did, either. I don't know why you're trying to defend him. The professional thing to do would have been to simply walk away. It was at half anyways, wasn't it? He shouldn't even have gone over there.

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah, he called him down to talk to him. I didn't say that he called him down to 'talk it out' as you put it. As I've stated, he probably did it to try and get the guy kicked out. There was no intent to actually talk to the supporter, and why would there be?

How about something closer to home? Van Der Bergh tossing beer back into the stands? Eddie Johnson trying to 'shh' the home support after a beer.

Well don't you know - everyone here is better than the athletes. They never have bad days or blips in their radar.... I've thrown something at a player... once... never before, never again... But I was taunted as a tired, drunk, passionate fan.... Who cares... Beckham was great... and has been a class act both professionally and personally throughout his career.

Brooker
07-20-2009, 02:48 PM
talk to him, talk it out..... you're telling me theres a difference?

jesus.... futile argument this is. but atleast you don't blather about useless shit like Kingpin.

Are you sure you want to add The Kingpin to your ignore list? Y/N

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Who said that Zidane or Cantona were professional in what they did? Beckham wasn't professional in what he did, either. I don't know why you're trying to defend him. The professional thing to do would have been to simply walk away. It was at half anyways, wasn't it? He shouldn't even have gone over there.

Lame... The professional thing is not always to walk away. Manage each situation as it comes...

BuSaPuNk
07-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Don't forget Braz's finger action in the NCC game here earlier this year.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I agree with you Shaughno, they are people and have normal reactions.

However, I will clarify that I know someone who was in the stands right there and this whole "I was calling him to talk to him" is garbage. He was calling him out from what I was told.

Sab0tage
07-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Lame... The professional thing is not always to walk away. Manage each situation as it comes... How is that professional? He clearly made the situation worse. The professional thing to do is be the bigger man and simply walk away to the dressing room. And I highly, highly doubt that he was calling the guy down to talk to him and shake his hand. Didn't you watch the video of the LA Riot Squad guys? They said nothing about him wanting to shake the guys hand.

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 02:54 PM
I agree with you Shaughno, they are people and have normal reactions.

However, I will clarify that I know someone who was in the stands right there and this whole "I was calling him to talk to him" is garbage. He was calling him out from what I was told.

What does that mean... For what? That's about as not desrcript as it gets!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
07-20-2009, 02:54 PM

Its not MLS fault that Beckham is not Man enought to stand behind a contract he sign in good faith..the league it self is not bush league, you just have a anti MLS bias, as you no doubt support a club in europe or south america.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 02:55 PM
I can't remember the exact words but it was more of the "come here and say that to my face" sort of thing...none of this "I wanted to give him a handshake and a butterfly kiss" that is coming out in the reports.

Brooker
How is that professional? He clearly made the situation worse. The professional thing to do is be the bigger man and simply walk away to the dressing room. And I highly, highly doubt that he was calling the guy down to talk to him and shake his hand. Didn't you watch the video of the LA Riot Squad guys? They said nothing about him wanting to shake the guys hand.

don't you know Sab0tage? the professional thing to do is to furthur anger the hostile crowd and challenge them to invade the pitch.

come on, isn't it obvious?

what a joke.

The Kingpin
How is that professional? He clearly made the situation worse. The professional thing to do is be the bigger man and simply walk away to the dressing room. And I highly, highly doubt that he was calling the guy down to talk to him and shake his hand. Didn't you watch the video of the LA Riot Squad guys? They said nothing about him wanting to shake the guys hand.

How is it not? I have yet to have anyone explain how this is not professional. Who defines this?

Sab0tage
What does that mean... For what? That's about as not desrcript as it gets!! The guy in the video said Beckham called him a motherfucker or something.

Sab0tage
07-20-2009, 02:57 PM
How is it not? I have yet to have anyone explain how this is not professional. Who defines this? Because there is video proof of people in the section saying Beckham wasn't trying to talk to the guy and shake his hand. They've said that he came over and started making the situation worse, so clearly he did not do what he did in a positive manner and therefore the way he became involved was unprofessional. In the video the guy said that Beckham said "Get down here you mother effer" or something along those lines, so clearly Beckham didn't go about the situation professionally.

Broadview
07-20-2009, 02:57 PM
A link from Ives...never heard of a player shushing his own fans before.

http://www.mls-daily.com/2009/07/exclusive-fan-confronted-by-beckham.html

"The back-and-forth between Beckham and the Riot Squad didn't end there, however. With the Galaxy trailing 2-1 in the second half, he marched over to that very same spot to take a corner kick, and bent a signature ball into the middle of the penalty area, where it was re-directed into the net by forward Bryan Jordan for the game-tying goal. Immediately, Beckham turned back to the Riot Squad, raised a single finger to his lips and proceeded to give the 'shush' motion to his own team's fans before walking away in triumph."

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Its not MLS fault that Beckham is not Man enought to stand behind a contract he sign in good faith..the league it self is not bush league, you just have a anti MLS bias, as you no doubt support a club in europe or south america.

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Someone tell this guy... Soooo funny.... click on this site and you'll see where I stand: http://redpatchboys.ca/

Yea!! I'm a big Colo Colo fan! :flare:

The MLS is a joke. Everyone knows that. The list of blunders is endless... Beckham has just realised that. I love me TFC - too bad it's in this league...

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Because there is video proof of people in the section saying Beckham wasn't trying to talk to the guy and shake his hand. They've said that he came over and started making the situation worse, so clearly he did not do what he did in a positive manner and therefore the way he became involved was unprofessional. In the video the guy said that Beckham said "Get down here you mother effer" or something along those lines, so clearly Beckham didn't go about the situation professionally.

So being positive is the only way to be professional? Still not buying it. When I rail the odd employee, at any time, am I unprofessional?

Sab0tage
07-20-2009, 03:03 PM
So being positive is the only way to be professional? Still not buying it. When I rail the odd employee, at any time, am I unprofessional? How is going over to call out and swear at your own fans professional?

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 03:06 PM
How is going over to call out and swear at your own fans professional?

Exactly.

End of story.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 03:07 PM
A link from Ives...never heard of a player shushing his own fans before.

http://www.mls-daily.com/2009/07/exclusive-fan-confronted-by-beckham.html

"The back-and-forth between Beckham and the Riot Squad didn't end there, however. With the Galaxy trailing 2-1 in the second half, he marched over to that very same spot to take a corner kick, and bent a signature ball into the middle of the penalty area, where it was re-directed into the net by forward Bryan Jordan for the game-tying goal. Immediately, Beckham turned back to the Riot Squad, raised a single finger to his lips and proceeded to give the 'shush' motion to his own team's fans before walking away in triumph."

On some teams outside the MLS, no player, no matter how big he is, would get away with this. This is egregious. It's offensive. It's disgusting.

To the team's own fans. Wow. :eek:

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 03:08 PM

He's a competitor - he has a sporting spirit that most can't understand. He's a professional athlete... which means he is paid to do so. So in that regard, he is the consummate professional athlete. He was aggressive (which I like), but that does not make you unprofessional... It just makes you... well... aggressive!

The Professor
07-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Someone tell this guy... Soooo funny.... click on this site and you'll see where I stand: http://redpatchboys.ca/

So good that you drew attention to this. The mods need to update this photo to reflect current, active RPB members.

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Exactly.

End of story.

WHEW!! Well, I guess we can all go home now... :facepalm:

Where is Mrs. Workie with her old... "End Of"... HAHA! So funny. Because you say it, doesn't make it so... fine sir.

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 03:11 PM
So good that you drew attention to this. The mods need to update this photo to reflect current, active RPB members.

I'm very active!! I still represent in the UK!! :D

Thanks!!

mmmikey
07-20-2009, 03:12 PM
disclaimer: this is not a personal attack.

kingpin your a joke. everyones knows that. by making that statement, does that make it true? no it doesn't. stop making general statements. your being an elitist jerk. if england started a hockey league we would be supporting u guys for doing it, no matter how mickey mouse someone might think its run, its still better for the game as a whole.

as for the "confrontation"

this professionalism excuse is getting out of hand. if someone is being consistently abusive and i have a chance of get him kicked out, i will. 99% of those guys in the stand would go apeshit the moment someone came to THEIR work and started heckling them.

im glad that dumbass got ejected for hopping over the railing. there is being a supporter and true to your team and then there is mob mentality. at a certain point professional is over, and its about demanding certain levels of respect as an individual. wtf did beckham do? he played for another club on loan!! the horror!! he didn't eat babies. u really think the supporters have the right to say whatever they want to him? i don't care how much he is paid, there is a line that you don't cross as members of a society.

Ivan
07-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I have only one worry regarding this story: Will it affect the ability of MLS to draw any international talent and therefore the quality of play in the MLS?

I know, many say who cares what the Eurosnobs and others think...MLS is what it is etc. But it does matter what Europe and South America and the football world think about Beckham in the MLS because the league is trying to gain recognition in the football world. The whole DP experiment was to build the profile of the league while helping MLS clubs become international calibre, right? The only thing that matters about this is it gives the league a chance to question the DP experiment.

(Also, Beckham doesn't give an eff what MLS fans think of him. He's had all of England hate him for the Argentina red card. "What's the difference btwn. Posh and Becks? Posh doesn't kick back when you take her from behind". Screw what Goldenballs or Landycakes think).

And the MLS's verdict should be, when the league spends as much as it did on a player/celeb like Beckham as DP, it can only backfire in terms of building MLS quality. World footballers and fans who defend players like Beckham (a real former star and national captain with maybe a season of any international quality left) might say "Yanks don't understand football" and should show Beckham respect. They might say, look Beckham's a man among boys in this league. Who cares, right? But if you think the current MLS "go big" DP strategy should continue to be used to build the league's quality, you should be worried. This genuinely hurts the odds of another "international star" DP (Ljungberg etc.) signing here and you should be concerned.

However, if instead of Beckham-like signings you think MLS should build its quality by spending its money more "evenly" on mid-level international quality (Scheletto) while convincing the best Canadian and American players (DeGuzman -- here's hoping) to play at home, to build the overall quality of its teams, then you'll probably hope for two outcomes: that the Beckham thing blows over as quickly as possible and the league doesn't lose too much TV/merch revenue; and that this puts an end to the Beckham DPs and the focus is now on the mission of spending money to build up MLS clubs from the roots to take on the Mexican clubs, the South American clubs and the European clubs.

A lot of the future of Canadian soccer is now tied up in the future of MLS. I'd rather see my club spending money to build with academies and domestic development and then dropping in a few mid-level international players to be on par with Club America, Pachuca, Barnsley, Charlton, etc. growing to take on River Plate, Boca Juniors and then towards Ajax, West Ham, before the EPL big 4, Bayern, Real, AC Milan, etc. I pray TFC avoids thinking you can get there with this nonsense of dropping in a Beckham for million$ for the sake of instant success or, god forbid, some brand profile-building shite.

So what I'm saying is, I'm concerned about the immediate fallout of the LA experiment because it does reflect on the league but glad its turned out this way because it shows it was bad idea in the first place.

Sab0tage
07-20-2009, 03:18 PM
this professionalism excuse is getting out of hand. if someone is being consistently abusive and i have a chance of get him kicked out, i will. 99% of those guys in the stand would go apeshit the moment someone came to THEIR work and started heckling them.

im glad that dumbass got ejected for hopping over the railing. there is being a supporter and true to your team and then there is mob mentality. at a certain point professional is over, and its about demanding certain levels of respect as an individual. wtf did beckham do? he played for another club on loan!! the horror!! he didn't eat babies. u really think the supporters have the right to say whatever they want to him? i don't care how much he is paid, there is a line that you don't cross as members of a society. It's sort of different going into an office building to heckle someone. Fans boo their players in every sport in the world, it's not like it's something new. Athletes playing professionally should be used to it.

And the fans aren't just mad simply because Beckham was out on loan. They are mad because he said he'd be back by March, then whined and whined about making the loan permanent, insulting both the club and the fans he continually claims he's loyal to. He says he wants to help MLS and American soccer, then wants to leave when he barely played in 2007 and 2008 to begin with.

mmmikey
07-20-2009, 03:19 PM
during maldini's last match of his career in front of the san siro, the milan fans of certain supporter groups unfurled huge banners and jeered him as he left the pitch. one of the most fantastic respected players of all time got booed by his own fans. players and staff were disgusted. all because maldini criticized them for booing the team and not supporting enough.

at other times, well loved players like gattuso have gone to these sections and appealed for them to stop their antics.

the point is even at one of the most successful franchises in the world, player/club/supporter group relations are not always all sunshine and lollipops. conflict happens. even when it is an honorable player like maldini let alone beckham.

mmmikey
07-20-2009, 03:21 PM
It's sort of different going into an office building to heckle someone. Fans boo their players in every sport in the world, it's not like it's something new. Athletes playing professionally should be used to it.

And the fans aren't just mad simply because Beckham was out on loan. They are mad because he said he'd be back by March, then whined and whined about making the loan permanent, insulting both the club and the fans he continually claims he's loyal to. He says he wants to help MLS and American soccer, then wants to leave when he barely played in 2007 and 2008 to begin with.

agreed. he should expect abuse. but my point is, some fans will go too far and cross a line of basic respect for another human being. if a fan is dumb enough to jump over the rail, i doubt he is a poor misguided supporter. he is probably an out of control lunatic.

edit: i should add that i DO think it was unprofessional action, but i don't think its reasonable to expect an athlete to put up with whatever stupid shit fans will throw at them. there needs to be a limit.

Darlofletch
07-20-2009, 03:23 PM
So being positive is the only way to be professional? Still not buying it. When I rail the odd employee, at any time, am I unprofessional?

If one of your customers is critical of you, would you start challenging him to a fight? Would you think yourself professional if you did?

Personally I love what the fans did, and I've no real problem with what Beckham did as far as reacting, i think it's funny, but I definitely think it's unprofessional.

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 03:23 PM
disclaimer: this is not a personal attack.

kingpin your a joke. everyones knows that. by making that statement, does that make it true? no it doesn't. stop making general statements. your being an elitist jerk. if england started a hockey league we would be supporting u guys for doing it, no matter how mickey mouse someone might think its run, its still better for the game as a whole.

as for the "confrontation"

im glad that dumbass got ejected for hopping over the railing. there is being a supporter and true to your team and then there is mob mentality. at a certain point professional is over, and its about demanding certain levels of respect as an individual. wtf did beckham do? he played for another club on loan!! the horror!! he didn't eat babies. u really think the supporters have the right to say whatever they want to him? i don't care how much he is paid, there is a line that you don't cross as members of a society.

Hey Mate, I'm from Toronto. I've been a very involved RPB member... I just think the MLS has a long way to go before it achieves credibility...

Sab0tage
07-20-2009, 03:24 PM
agreed. he should expect abuse. but my point is, some fans will go too far and cross a line of basic respect for another human being. if a fan is dumb enough to jump over the rail, i doubt he is a poor misguided supporter. he is probably an out of control lunatic. Yeah, I definitely agree that he shouldn't have gone over the wall. I don't think the LA fans said anything overly insulting anyway. They probably just told him to fuck off and called him a fraud or something along those lines.

Hooligan69
07-20-2009, 03:32 PM
O-c720nNtgI

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 03:40 PM
WHEW!! Well, I guess we can all go home now... :facepalm:

Where is Mrs. Workie with her old... "End Of"... HAHA! So funny. Because you say it, doesn't make it so... fine sir.

Very well sir...I look forward to your very logical and expectedly overly verbose explanation of the following question raised by Sabotage.

Instead of deflecting, how about answering something for once with a modicum of logic. No red herrings. No strawman arguments. Just a plain direct response to a direct question.

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Very well sir...I look forward to your very logical and expectedly overly verbose explanation of the following question raised by Sabotage.

I'm not allowed. 'The RPB Union' does not allow solid arguments, as they don't want to read them. So now I just post sound bites... Cool eh?? I'm now a part of the MTV generation... PUNTERS UNITE!! :drum:

mmmikey
07-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey Mate, I'm from Toronto. I've been a very involved RPB member... I just think the MLS has a long way to go before it achieves credibility...

it absolutely does have a long way to go. laughing stock is not the same thing though. your hammering in a nail with a sledgehammer with that comment. your also going to be taken as a jerk because of it.

with all new things, it will take time for everyone to accept it. your friends obviously haven't yet. coming on here and telling a bunch of MLS fans that u guys think it is a laughing stock is a pretty conflicted idea of support and counter-productive when any MLS fan should be working on improving the leagues acceptance and not disparaging it at every turn. it's only with greater support from knowledgeable footie fans that MLS will continue to grow.

u might be supporting it in your mind, but if anyone came onto this board today they would have to wonder why u post about something u seem to dislike so much.

Hitcho
07-20-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.christhedon.com/Previous_files/Eric_Cantona_kung-fu_kick.jpg

hehe, sorry, I agree with you, but had to post this :o

What I love most about this photo is the gallery of expressions on the faces in the crowd. There's the frowning old geezer tot he far left, the brilliantly shocked flat cap wearing man in the middle, the inquisitive rain mac wearing bloke on the right and in the bottom right corner, best of all, is a young girl laughing and clapping her hands. :D

EDIT - then you've got the comically girly hand on mouth bloke in the bottom left, and the man watching paint dry next to the young girl.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm not allowed. 'The RPB Union' does not allow solid arguments, as they don't want to read them. So now I just post sound bites... Cool eh?? I'm now a part of the MTV generation... PUNTERS UNITE!! :drum:

Riiiiiiight...

DOMIN8R
07-20-2009, 08:36 PM
The thing about this that I find most pleasing is that after years of skillfully crafting Becky's image, after millions spent to ensure a globally appealing brand, after having to watch his careful image being propogated by his expensive handlers.....a few American soccer fans managed to disassemble a piece of the Beckham image during a friendly.

Fans and teams all over Europe have been trying to do this for a decade. The LA Riot Squad did it in 90 minutes.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/01/31/beckham_crying_getty_400.jpg
Amazing. I hope they continue for the remainder of their home games - what 5 left?

I have a deep man love type admiration for LARS!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2009/02/0210_david_beckham_pcn.jpg
If that's wrong. I don't want to be right.

Beach_Red
07-20-2009, 08:47 PM
What I love most about this photo is the gallery of expressions on the faces in the crowd. There's the frowning old geezer tot he far left, the brilliantly shocked flat cap wearing man in the middle, the inquisitive rain mac wearing bloke on the right and in the bottom right corner, best of all, is a young girl laughing and clapping her hands. :D

EDIT - then you've got the comically girly hand on mouth bloke in the bottom left, and the man watching paint dry next to the young girl.

Thoe are great descriptions. You've practically got the cast of the Carry On movies here.

jloome
07-20-2009, 09:08 PM
"Carry on, Becks"

Heheh. With Sid James as Sir Alex.

werewolf
07-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Front page of Yahoo Sports -

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AvoGjHZ.WPE2VBVtpEh9ib45nYcB?slug=jo-beckham072009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Angry fans say Beckham wanted to fight

LOS ANGELES – Fans involved in the confrontation with David Beckham during halftime of Sunday’s exhibition game between the Los Angeles Galaxy (http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/teams/los/;_ylt=AplLCPKiO5THGCs3efrgf3KCZtEF) and visiting AC Milan refuted the player’s account of events and said Beckham was an aggressor.
Beckham said after the 2-2 tie at the Home Depot Center that he told one fan who “was saying things that wasn’t very nice” to “calm down and come shake my hand.” A fan then jumped from the stands onto the field and was met immediately by security and ejected from the stadium.
But Josh Paige, a member of the L.A. Riot Squad, a rabid fan group, said he was the patron who leaped from the stands after Beckham motioned for him to come down to the field and fight.
“He came over and directly confronted us,” Paige told Yahoo! Sports on Monday. “I remember the look on his face, and he definitely was jawing right back at us, pointing at me and then to the ground in front of him a couple of times. … I looked at the video.”
Video footage (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AnvYs2.7dlwjy4rYfjoFcBqCZtEF/SIG=129l2qimd/**http%3A//www.tmz.com/2009/07/20/david-beckham-fans-fight-galaxy-video/) shows Beckham pulling himself onto a barrier erected about 10 feet from the section of the stadium where Paige and other rowdy fans were heckling Beckham.
Paige, who said he is a 32-year-old employee of a small independent film company in Los Angeles, said he shouldn’t have jumped out of the stands.
“I regret it because I wish that I had been the bigger man,” said Paige, who was handcuffed and escorted from the stadium. “[Beckham] prides himself on being the consummate professional and he’s calling his own fans down to fight.”
Paige said the crowd noise at the sold-out Home Depot Center muffled Beckham’s exact words during the halftime confrontation. But David Martinous, who said he was sitting next to Paige in the front row of Section 137, said he heard Beckham clearly.
“He said, ‘Come down here and fight,’ ” Martinous said. “I said, ‘I’m not coming down there. You can come across that barrier and we can take it from there’ essentially. And he started to put a leg over the barrier and that’s when my friend next to me leapt down.”
On Monday the Galaxy and the approximately 300-member fan club issued conflicting statements about the incident.
“We have a very good relationship with the LA Riot Squad and have already reached out to them to set up a meeting to discuss moving forward together in a positive direction,” the team’s statement read in part. “In addition, the LA Riot Squad has informed us that they have issued a lifetime ban to the fan that went onto the field of play.”
Not true, according to Jeff Skinner, a prominent member of the 300-member Riot Squad.
“The press release from the Galaxy claiming that we have banned Mr. Paige is factually incorrect,” Skinner wrote in an email. “We have yet to make any final decisions and I reiterate that at this moment we have yet to have any discussions with anybody at the Galaxy regarding this matter.”
Simon Oliveira, Beckham’s personal publicist, declined to comment Monday and said he would defer to Beckham’s postgame comments.
The week before the game, Riot Squad members prepared chants meant to insult Beckham during his first Galaxy home game of the season after he missed the team’s first 17 games while playing for AC Milan on an offseason loan deal.
Earlier this year, Beckham said he wanted to remain with the Italian club instead of returning to the Galaxy because the higher caliber of play would help him achieve his goal of playing for England at the 2010 World Cup. Comments like that – along with the recent controversy over the questioning of Beckham’s commitment to the Galaxy by L.A. star Landon Donovan – prompted the Riot Squad to bring homemade signs expressing their displeasure.
Martinous said he thinks the incident stemmed from Beckham’s actions in front of the Galaxy’s goal about two minutes before the end of the first half, when Beckham smiled while giving the ball to AC Milan’s Ronaldinho for a corner kick where the Riot Squad members sit.
“I yelled directly at him, ‘Wipe that [expletive] smirk off your face,” recalled Martinous, who said he’s a 28-year-old technical support representative for Disney Interactive.
At that point, according to Martinous, Beckham pointed at Martinous and shouted expletives. Martinous said he fired back by shouting, “You need to be worried about the play on the field rather than handing the ball off to [Ronaldinho].”
When the first half ended, Beckham ran toward the Riot Squad members.
After the game, according to Martinous, Galaxy coach Bruce Arena and Galaxy players Chris Klein and Bryan Jordan paid tribute to the Riot Squad.
“Chris Klein came over like he does normally after games and thanked us for being there,” Martinous said. “Bryan Jordan and Bruce Arena came over to the corner and acknowledged us.
“I think those guys know that we love them and last night we just had to get our feelings [about Beckham] out.”
Chris Tucker, another Riot Squad member, said he took issue with Beckham’s comments about a heckling fan “stepping over the line.”
“It was kind of a group agreed-upon thing that nobody would [verbally] go after his family,” said Tucker, a 23-year-old student at Santa Monica College. “Nobody would say anything about his wife or his kids, because they weren’t responsible for his actions.”

AL-MO
07-20-2009, 09:30 PM
This is a fucked up situation.

On one hand Beckham shouldn't be doing shit like this. Anywhere else in the world and there would be serious trouble for stuff like this.

On the other hand the Supporters of the team he plays on totally threw him under the bus....

S_D
07-20-2009, 09:56 PM
This is a fucked up situation.

On one hand Beckham shouldn't be doing shit like this. Anywhere else in the world and there would be serious trouble for stuff like this.

On the other hand the Supporters of the team he plays on totally threw him under the bus....

Good on the Riot Squad.

The Yahoo article has thrown the "pr spin" into total disrepute, and I am sure many people's attitudes about DB are going to go out the window. I am sure the Galaxy will suspend the guy's ticket. If they do I hope the Squad refuses to kick him out and makes him an honorary member :)

tfcleeds
07-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Beckham's had to put up with a lot worse in England...it's just interesting that he finally lost it during a friendly, of all things...

Doesn't matter what the Riot Squad was shouting at him...he's heard worse. He should have kept his cool and ignored it, like most other professional athletes.

I have a feeling that the animosity Galaxy fans have towards Goldenballs won't be smoothed over for awhile after this...

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Man...LA's turned into a nightmare for DB. And all because he failed to man up and make a choice.

It happens to men all the time like those who cheat on their wives and then get caught.

If life has taught us anything, it's that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Goldenballs has led a charmed life up until now but luck runs out sooner or later. The sad thing is it didn't have to. Had he made a real commitment to soccer in the US, he would have helped elevate it to new levels and made himself a legend.

Now someone else will have to. Beckham is tainted in America.

ensco
07-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Culture clash.

I think Beckham snapped because he just doesn't understand.

In world football, players just have more power. By custom, they must agree to every transfer. Stars who play for lesser teams dictate terms all the time.

But in North America, we expect stars to be part of the team.

ensco
07-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Man...LA's turned into a nightmare for DB. And all because he failed to man up and make a choice.

It happens to men all the time like those who cheat on their wives and then get caught.

If life has taught us anything, it's that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Goldenballs has led a charmed life up until now but luck runs out sooner or later. The sad thing is it didn't have to. Had he made a real commitment to soccer in the US, he would have helped elevate it to new levels and made himself a legend.

Now someone else will have to. Beckham is tainted in America.

Man you've got to get away from watching all that Oprah. :)

Disagree. He's not tainted at all. Just give it a few games. Guaranteed

Nomad
07-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I love it when athletes acknowledge the heckling and wished they did it more often. :D

My line is violence between athlete and spectator. But a well placed hand gesture by a footballer never goes astray in my books. Fires us up even more!

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Man you've got to get away from watching all that Oprah. :)

Disagree. He's not tainted at all. Just give it a few games. Guaranteed

Beckham couldn't even draw 25k at Giants Stadium.

Sure...he will continue to boost numbers at games, but it won't be nearly the same as before.

And his window of opportunity to become a legend is gone. He can still play and make money for himself and others...but he will no longer be the saviour of soccer in America. I think he could have been. No longer.

nascarguy
07-20-2009, 11:33 PM
who's up for a trip to la to fight beckham the Riot Squad would thow us a party again

Blizzard
07-20-2009, 11:37 PM
"Carry on, Becks"

Heheh. With Sid James as Sir Alex.

Poor old Sid. He died in his dressing room before a show. They say his ghost is still there and that it speaks to people he knew that use it.

DichioTFC
07-20-2009, 11:43 PM
the 300 member Riot Squad should have showered Beckham with 300 beers.

grizzle
07-20-2009, 11:58 PM
I think Beckham should have just ignored him, but what pathetic "supporters". Regardless of what has happened you should never cheer against one of your players.

Cashcleaner
07-21-2009, 12:07 AM
^ Why not? You don't think he's all but given up on them?

Personally, I'm watching all this go down and having a chuckle about it. Its puts egg on the face of the LAG management and it puts egg on the face of MLS management.

Win-win situation for me.

DichioTFC
07-21-2009, 12:08 AM
I think Beckham should have just ignored him, but what pathetic "supporters". Regardless of what has happened you should never cheer against one of your players.

even one that fully intends to leave and has recently questioned the team and its supporters recently? supporters ordinarily shouldn't jeer their players but, obviously this is not an ordinary situation, n'est pas?

Rudi
07-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Beckham couldn't even draw 25k at Giants Stadium.

Sure...he will continue to boost numbers at games, but it won't be nearly the same as before.

And his window of opportunity to become a legend is gone. He can still play and make money for himself and others...but he will no longer be the saviour of soccer in America. I think he could have been. No longer.
Agree to a point, but the NY example is a bad one.

The Red Bulls are absolute garbage, and have been averaging around 10K (on weekends) or less all year. On top of that, they were very hesitant to aggressively promote the Beckham game like they did in years past. NY fans have said that in '07 and '08, NYRB would hype the hell out of the game all year, and run all sorts of promotions leading up to it. Essentially, they treated it as the biggest game of the year.

This year they treated it as just another game, and he still drew 24,000 out to the New Jersey swamp at 8pm on a weeknight where if it was any other opponent they would expect around 8,000 (at most).

All is not lost.

grizzle
07-21-2009, 12:12 AM
even one that fully intends to leave and has recently questioned the team and its supporters recently? supporters ordinarily shouldn't jeer their players but, obviously this is not an ordinary situation, n'est pas?

Ok, protest or do whatever u have to do, but not during a game. I guess this was a friendly though so its another story (didn't think about that till after).

DichioTFC
07-21-2009, 12:15 AM
talk to him, talk it out..... you're telling me theres a difference?

jesus.... futile argument this is. but atleast you don't blather about useless shit like Kingpin.

Are you sure you want to add The Kingpin to your ignore list? Y/N

lol that made me block Kingpin as well. Silly wanker.

nascarguy
07-21-2009, 12:18 AM
the 300 member Riot Squad should have showered Beckham with 300 beers.
how do you know how many member they have

DichioTFC
07-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Ok, protest or do whatever u have to do, but not during a game. I guess this was a friendly though so its another story (didn't think about that till after).

I hear you about supporting the players, but the sensationalization of the whole Beckham saga, from his entrance to his injury, to his drama, to the England National Team, to being loaned to Milan, to The Beckham Experiment, to drama with Laddycakes... and now he's leaving for Europe, tail between legs, all without leading the Galaxy to a single playoff game... it would leave a bitter taste in anyone's mouth

As much as we talk smack about Barrett and Vitti here, we are ECSTATIC when they prove us wrong and score goals or otherwise play well. The smacktalk here does not carryover to the pitch. But if a player on TFC disrespected the shield as much as Beckham disrespects the Galaxy, I would personally throw a beer on him at every game and be gladly kicked out.

DichioTFC
07-21-2009, 12:21 AM
how do you know how many member they have

Its from the article that warewolf posted

Front page of Yahoo Sports -

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AvoGjHZ.WPE2VBVtpEh9ib45nYcB?slug=jo-beckham072009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Angry fans say Beckham wanted to fight

On Monday the Galaxy and the approximately 300-member fan club issued conflicting statements about the incident.

nascarguy
07-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Good on the Riot Squad.

The Yahoo article has thrown the "pr spin" into total disrepute, and I am sure many people's attitudes about DB are going to go out the window. I am sure the Galaxy will suspend the guy's ticket. If they do I hope the Squad refuses to kick him out and makes him an honorary member :)
the guy got a life time ban from the club I say so what he going to save money by not having to pay for season tickets anymore for life

Canadian Blue
07-21-2009, 12:44 AM

This is a very entertaining thread......but as for the above quote I think what Beckham did was brilliant.......if i am not mistken the Galaxy scored 2 goals and he had a hand in both therefore he turns to the booing crowd tells them to shhh, which at the ens of the day basically say...."see you need me"

nascarguy
07-21-2009, 01:25 AM
hereis what is bring said on the la Riot squad forum
http://www.soccerpubs.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=34283&st=660

The Kingpin
07-21-2009, 01:31 AM
This is a very entertaining thread......but as for the above quote I think what Beckham did was brilliant.......if i am not mistken the Galaxy scored 2 goals and he had a hand in both therefore he turns to the booing crowd tells them to shhh, which at the ens of the day basically say...."see you need me"

We both agree - only the tubby internet punters who have never competed think this is some sort of slight on the game.

WestStandGeoff
07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Decent article on the LA Times site today. A few good quotes from Riot Squad members who were close to the action. My favourite is the minister/theology professor/RS member who outright calls DB a liar for his post-game spin on the situation.

www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-galaxy-beckham21-2009jul21,0,1709749.story (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-galaxy-beckham21-2009jul21,0,1709749.story)

dcdcdc
07-21-2009, 12:17 PM
People can heckle all they want. Beckham will always have the last laugh, he's a multi-millionaire with everything you could ask for and these losers are paying his salary

mmmikey
07-21-2009, 01:40 PM
We both agree - only the tubby internet punters who have never competed think this is some sort of slight on the game.

wow. is your new modus operandi to insult as many ppl as possible per thread? seeing as how your an "internet punter" at the moment u managed to include yourself at least.

rocker
07-21-2009, 01:45 PM
People can heckle all they want. Beckham will always have the last laugh, he's a multi-millionaire with everything you could ask for and these losers are paying his salary

the amusing thing is Becks actually seems to CARE that those people are heckling him.

You'd think a multi-millionaire wouldn't give a shit, right?

That's the funny part. The chumps paying his salary are getting under the skin of a millionaire. :)

If he didn't care, he would "get the last laugh" but it seems he cares so much the criticism might stick with him. His millions won't make the bad memory go away.

Yohan
07-21-2009, 02:00 PM
the amusing thing is Becks actually seems to CARE that those people are heckling him.

You'd think a multi-millionaire wouldn't give a shit, right?

That's the funny part. The chumps paying his salary are getting under the skin of a millionaire. :)

If he didn't care, he would "get the last laugh" but it seems he cares so much the criticism might stick with him. His millions won't make the bad memory go away.
Beckham seems to thrive on proving his critics wrong. Whether it be the pundits, opposition fans, whoever

Detroit_TFC
07-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Beckham seems to thrive on proving his critics wrong. Whether it be the pundits, opposition fans, whoever

He's done it over and over again, no reason to think he won't do it here too.

SweetOwnGoal
07-21-2009, 02:13 PM
The best video of the incident I've seen yet (http://www.24thminute.com/2009/07/beckham-pretty-much-full-of.html)

IE users go directly to http://www.24thminute.com

or:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYZk75mJ_wc

Pigfynn
07-21-2009, 02:18 PM
^^ I thought he said he was trying to shake the guy's hand?

Didn't look like that's what he wanted until it was clear that the guy was being escourted away.

Brooker
07-21-2009, 02:18 PM
^^ hah! exactly.

Nodoubtguy
07-21-2009, 03:03 PM
lol.....that video is hilarious......trying to shake his hand my ass!!!

rocker
07-21-2009, 03:10 PM
lol.....that video is hilarious......trying to shake his hand my ass!!!

ya.. that video tells it all. he's tryin to show up the fan. he knows the guy can't come down from the stands. then he smirks and walks away.

PROFESSIONAL!

Yohan
07-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I really am curious to know exactly what Beckham thinks.

Does he really give a rat's ass about Galaxy? Because obviously Milan and England is more important to him.

Or does he seems MLS as a challenge, especially all the critics and LA fans who are against him right now. Beckham doesn't seem the type to walk away from the challenge, and wants to prove himself to everyone.

Well, watching this drama is going to be so entertaining

Canadian Blue
07-21-2009, 03:21 PM
wow. is your new modus operandi to insult as many ppl as possible per thread? seeing as how your an "internet punter" at the moment u managed to include yourself at least.

You forgot about him saying tubby......that definately describes him......huff!!!

:cheers:

Up The TFC
07-21-2009, 09:30 PM
If you think he's actually trying to sell you the 'shake hands' story, you're an idiot. It's like when Don Cherry says 'pops', he means 'beers' and you're just supposed to get it.

And what's with everyone whining about him being 'professional'? I'd take 'passionate' over 'professional' any day.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icwales2/oct2007/3/2/B3B4D14A-AF1B-6EE4-C33B412E3F7E1A9F.jpg

Cashcleaner
07-22-2009, 12:05 AM
I really am curious to know exactly what Beckham thinks.

Does he really give a rat's ass about Galaxy? Because obviously Milan and England is more important to him.

Or does he seems MLS as a challenge, especially all the critics and LA fans who are against him right now. Beckham doesn't seem the type to walk away from the challenge, and wants to prove himself to everyone.

Well, watching this drama is going to be so entertaining

Here's my completely unscientific take on the whole thing. I believe at first Beckham really was interested in coming onboard and really helping lift the league up to the sort of standard we're used to seeing in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he brought over with him a book of ideas and notes to run by the Galaxy and League officials just to see if they would be up for implementing some changes. I think that when he was signing his contract, they did in fact continue to reassure him that his experience and know-how would be appreciated and that he would be given a voice.

But...

I think that once the ink was dry and everything was notarized, the league just handed him a ball and told him to play while the adults talked about business. I think that the more he realised he wasn't wanted to help promote the league and expand the sport, the less interested he was in LA, MLS, and North American soccer altogether. I think Beckham WAS interested in the challenges that MLS would bring, but now the veil has been lifted over his eyes and he sees his club and the league for what they are.

I don't see how people are giving the guy grief for basically throwing his arms up in frustration over the same things that we bitch and complain about on a regular basis here. Once again, when I see an issue of player or coach vs. the league, I gotta side with the player or coach.

DichioTFC
07-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Here's my completely unscientific take on the whole thing. I believe at first Beckham really was interested in coming onboard and really helping leift the league up to the sort of standard we're used to seeing in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he brought over with him a book of ideas and notes to run by the Galaxy and League officials just to see if they would be up for implementing some changes. I think that when he was signing his contract, they did in fact continue to reassure him that his experience and know-how would be appreciated and that he would be given a voice.

But...

I think that once the ink was dry and everything was notarized, the league just handed him a ball and told him to play while the adults talked about business. I think that the more he realised he wasn't wanted to help promote the league and expand the sport, the less interested he was in LA, MLS, and North American soccer altogether. I think Beckham WAS interested in the challenges that MLS would bring, but now the veil has been lifted over his eyes and he sees his club and the league for what they are.

I don't see how people are giving the guy grief for basically throwing his arms up in frustration over the same things that we bitch and complain about on a regular basis here. Once again, when I see an issue of player or coach vs. the league, I gotta side with the player or coach.

along the same lines as cashcleaner, but I think he wanted to be the Tiger Woods of MLS. Someone that puts the sport into perspective on the American conscious and reaps the benefits of fame. Only differences are that Tiger is ACTUALLY a class-act professional, and he works damn hard at what he does. Beckham's sense of entitlement was his downfall.

When he's an old-ass man struggling to find a company willing to put him in a commercial, he'll be able to think back to the events of that day and realize that was the beginning of his downfall.

Cashcleaner
07-22-2009, 12:57 AM
^ See, this is the thing.

I disagree with people and their belief that Beckham is some sort of narcissistic idiot. The guy is famous for a reason - he plays a good game of football. He doesn't call up the papers everytime he leaves the house, nor does he text the tv networks about where he's going for lunch. It isn't his fault for being a newsworthy individual, unless you're going to blame his skill and talent, because those are what got him where he is today.

Beckham has never struck me as a superstar in the sense of his attitude anymore than the majority of other professional athletes.

DichioTFC
07-22-2009, 01:12 AM

I disagree with people and their belief that Beckham is some sort of narcissistic idiot. The guy is famous for a reason - he plays a good game of football. He doesn't call up the papers everytime he leaves the house, nor does he text the tv networks about where he's going for lunch. It isn't his fault for being a newsworthy individual, unless you're going to blame his skill and talent, because those are what got him where he is today.

Beckham has never struck me as a superstar in the sense of his attitude anymore than the majority of other professional athletes.

I had felt the way you do until I realized who was in Beckham's camp (Simon Cowell - pronounced asshole and attention whore, etc.), and the fact that many people in Europe who have followed him (including the reporter of this article) claim his vanity knows no bounds. The circumstantial evidence is there and its definitely hard to ignore.

Cashcleaner
07-22-2009, 01:33 AM
The circumstantial evidence is there and its definitely hard to ignore.What about hearsay and conjecture? Those are types of evidence. :D

http://www.lossimpsonsonline.com.ar/personajes/lionel-hutz/lionel-hutz.jpg

The Kingpin
07-22-2009, 01:40 AM
Here's my completely unscientific take on the whole thing. I believe at first Beckham really was interested in coming onboard and really helping lift the league up to the sort of standard we're used to seeing in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he brought over with him a book of ideas and notes to run by the Galaxy and League officials just to see if they would be up for implementing some changes. I think that when he was signing his contract, they did in fact continue to reassure him that his experience and know-how would be appreciated and that he would be given a voice.

But...

Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.

The league is so backwoods compared to the whole of the footballing world, I don't think he could have imagined how out of touch the MLS was... is...

PSB
07-22-2009, 09:40 AM
haha

Roogsy
07-22-2009, 09:56 AM
I had felt the way you do until I realized who was in Beckham's camp (Simon Cowell - pronounced asshole and attention whore, etc.), and the fact that many people in Europe who have followed him (including the reporter of this article) claim his vanity knows no bounds. The circumstantial evidence is there and its definitely hard to ignore.

Simon Fuller, not Cowell.

Cowell is the host of the shows.

Fuller is the head of 19 Entertainment, producers of the Idol shows, the Dance shows etc. And now Beckham's "agents" in America.

I would agree with Cash to a point. I think Beckham genuinely wanted to help the game in America, however, when he got here and realized the work involved and the sacrifice he would have to make in Europe...he decided his hand at "hedging" and it didn't work. Now he's sacrificed Europe time and he's killed his legacy in the US. He should have committed one way or the other.

Nodoubtguy
07-23-2009, 12:31 PM
hadn't seen this pic yet......nice shot

http://www.soccerbyives.net/.a/6a00e54ef2975b8833011572240b8e970b-pi

CoachGT
07-23-2009, 02:44 PM

Agreed. He learned his trade in the professional ranks alongside players like Cantona, a guy who was a workhorse both in practice and in games. I've heard nothing but stellar comments about how Canatona exposed other players to his work ethic and how many of those players picked up on it and ran with it. Personally, I think he's worked hard to develop and refine his skill and that has little to do with a sense of entitlement - quite the opposite.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-24-2009, 02:55 PM

nice footage of this circus!.....I could only imagin if this was in TO ..there would of been a shower of beers! :)

One supporter threw a jersey at him..!

rocker
07-24-2009, 03:18 PM

the supporter can buy a new one -- 25% off at the MLS store!

Yohan
07-24-2009, 03:37 PM
The KC supporters in the Cauldron is getting hyped up about some anti beckham tifos for tomorrow's game.

Curious to see what they are going to come up with

Yohan
07-24-2009, 04:33 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-soc-mls-beckham-fined,1,5719338.story

Beckham fined $1000

Garber
"We support our players interacting with fans, whether it is at clinics, charity events or by high-fiving their supporters in the stands while celebrating a goal," Garber said. "However, our players should never engage in conduct that can be interpreted as encouraging fans to come out of the stands and onto the field, regardless of the reason."
so Garber actually have a pair of balls?

DichioTFC
07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-soc-mls-beckham-fined,1,5719338.story

Beckham fined $1000

so Garber actually have a pair of balls?

hard to call fining a multi-millionaire $1000 having a pair of balls, but the symbolic gesture was nice to see

Yohan
07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
hard to call fining a multi-millionaire $1000 having a pair of balls, but the symbolic gesture was nice to see
it's the williingness to actually fine Becky that actually matters

Moe911
07-24-2009, 05:05 PM

nice footage of this circus!.....I could only imagin if this was in TO ..there would of been a shower of beers! :)

This one is better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2y-RZOKs48&feature=related

Up The TFC
07-24-2009, 09:38 PM
That is an excellent video. Quality filming, excellent location, and fuck if Beckham isn't the man in it. As one of the commenters said, 'that was one word: pimp'

The guy who scored did a front flip and no one cared.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-24-2009, 10:02 PM
This one is better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2y-RZOKs48&feature=related

thats halarious......Shhhhhing your own supporters after your team scores!! ONLY IN MLS!! :D

Brooker
07-24-2009, 11:14 PM

funny. i've seen that same clip atleast 5 times but until you pointed it out I didnt even notice the flip.

edmundo
07-25-2009, 03:36 AM
front flips are hard shit, but beckham is the man, riot squad are morons, in one season ive seen dero shush up a limpact player after his shit goal was ruled offside and becks shush up douchebags in the stands, when i think back to the 09 season those 2 things will def be in my top 5 highlights

DichioTFC
07-25-2009, 04:10 AM
That is an excellent video. Quality filming, excellent location, and fuck if Beckham isn't the man in it. As one of the commenters said, 'that was one word: pimp'

LOLLLLLLL it was the lowest-hyped front flip in the history of front flips.

The Kingpin
07-25-2009, 04:28 AM
$1,000 fine... Honestly, who the F&%$ are they kidding??? What a joke. So Funny.

CretanBull
07-25-2009, 05:01 AM
front flips are hard shit, but beckham is the man, riot squad are morons, in one season ive seen dero shush up a limpact player after his shit goal was ruled offside and becks shush up douchebags in the stands, when i think back to the 09 season those 2 things will def be in my top 5 highlights

How on earth can you call the guys in the Riot Squad morons? If any player ever treated us like Beckham has treated them I'd do the exact same thing as they did....and I wouldn't be alone.

The Kingpin
07-25-2009, 06:16 AM
How on earth can you call the guys in the Riot Squad morons? If any player ever treated us like Beckham has treated them I'd do the exact same thing as they did....and I wouldn't be alone.

Agreed. I must admit, I'd have a tough time holding back. BUT! They had to know that with Beckham, they'd get this massive sideshow.

CretanBull
07-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Agreed. I must admit, I'd have a tough time holding back. BUT! They had to know that with Beckham, they'd get this massive sideshow.

They probably had to expect more media exposure, more soccer moms at the games etc. but these guys (the Riot Squad) were around before Beckham - they were Galaxy loyal before 99% of LA knew what the MLS was, so I kinda feel sorry for them.

At the end of the day, I'm with them on this one. Beckham 'cheated' on them, and while their owners and the MLS itself laid down like an emasculated cuckolds, the Riot Squad proved that they had balls.

The Kingpin
07-25-2009, 06:30 AM
They probably had to expect more media exposure, more soccer moms at the games etc. but these guys (the Riot Squad) were around before Beckham - they were Galaxy loyal before 99% of LA knew what the MLS was, so I kinda feel sorry for them.

At the end of the day, I'm with them on this one. Beckham and The MLS 'cheated' on them, and while their owners and the MLS itself laid down like an emasculated cuckolds, the Riot Squad proved that they had balls.

One correction fine sir... The MLS had to let him go, they have gone a long way to bring added disfunction to the league.

CretanBull
07-25-2009, 06:34 AM
From the begining, the whole situation was handled so poorly that its hard not to laugh...until I realize that the joke is ultimately on us.

The Kingpin
07-25-2009, 06:40 AM
From the begining, the whole situation was handled so poorly that its hard not to laugh...until I realize that the joke is ultimately on us.

This is what I'm constantly whinging about. You hear the same rhetoric here regularly; "this is our league, and we don't care what others (Europeans) think". But what they fail to realise, is that we are missing out on quality players/football because of this attitude. It's borderline xenophobic behaviour, I realise that this is a bit of a stretch, but in football terms it is my estimation that this exists. The groupthink mentality is embarrassing at times and it hold back growth for the MLS and Toronto FC. I always hoped we'd be a progressive club vs. the rest of the league. In some ways we are, but in other ways we are "union" style throwbacks...

CretanBull
07-25-2009, 07:03 AM
I think that there's a lot more sympathy to what you're talking about than you might realize, but its sort of grounded by the reality that we're in the league that we're in and our power to influence that is limited (if its anything at all). I think we all know whats wrong with the league, but no amount of huffing and puffing on our part is going to change anything. Our best bet is to be a progressive force within the MLS community, but that's going to be a slow and frustrating process. I look forward to when the fans in Seatle hit their breaking point, and I know the people in Philly won't put up with shit so they'll be a welcomed addition too....

Beach_Red
07-25-2009, 09:44 AM
This is what I'm constantly whinging about. You hear the same rhetoric here regularly; "this is our league, and we don't care what others (Europeans) think". But what they fail to realise, is that we are missing out on quality players/football because of this attitude. It's borderline xenophobic behaviour, I realise that this is a bit of a stretch, but in football terms it is my estimation that this exists. The groupthink mentality is embarrassing at times and it hold back growth for the MLS and Toronto FC. I always hoped we'd be a progressive club vs. the rest of the league. In some ways we are, but in other ways we are "union" style throwbacks...

Do you think the groupthink approach has anything to do with the failure of every other sports league that has started in North America in the last 30 years that didn't use salary cap and the single entity approach? Maybe the union style "throwback," is because it's the only chance at success?

Missing out on some quality players (and if history is our guide what we're missing out on are older, washed up players and maybe half a dozen who could still play - no more than that) now in order to form a sound foundation for the league is the risk the guys actually spending their own money have taken. It's a risk and all they have to go by is past history. Slow growth or no growth.

With every other pro sport and the NCAA with already well-established fan bases in every city in the USA this is the most competitive market in the world, so the tactics used elsewhere aren't much help here.

Yohan
07-25-2009, 05:58 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article6727442.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

another interesting article about Beckham situation

Roogsy
07-25-2009, 06:28 PM
He keeps saying the fans "need to change". I suppose only someone with the global superstar status that Beckham has could possibly have the hubris to say that, but it certainly remains bullshit. Fans don't need to change. A player should never shush his own supporters. Beckham has officially drifted into asshole status for me...and I was a fan at one point. Players are supposed to let their play speak and are supposed to convince their fans of their commitment to the team through play and action. Neither has demonstrated commitment and dedication on Beckham's part and I for one continue to support LA Riot Squad in their discontent.

Up The TFC
07-25-2009, 10:38 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...ffset=0&page=1 (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article6727442.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1)

another interesting article about Beckham situation ...except the writer says: "his effigy once dangled in a noose outside a London pub — but had never found himself bogeyman to his own fans."

It wasn't Argentines hanging that effigy! That's why I think as much as people are trying to make this the unraveling of Beckham, I don't think he's that bothered.

A player should never shush his own supporters. Beckham has officially drifted into asshole status for me...Players are supposed to let their play speak and are supposed to convince their fans of their commitment to the team through play and action.

Linked from that same article:

Brian Clough (Nottingham Forest manager, 1989) – clipped a couple of his own fans round the lugholes during a pitch invasion in a League Cup quarter-final against Queens Park Rangers.
Jamie Carragher (Liverpool, 2008) – had to be dragged away by security guards from eight jokers wearing Scouse black wigs and yellow shell suits. Carra even climbed the stands and offered to fight the Luton Town fans.
George Berry (Wolverhampton Wanderers, 1980) – was arrested for jumping into the paddock at Molineux and hitting seven bells out of a Wolves fan – his own! – giving him racial 'dogs' abuse' after he gifted Luther Blissett a goal in Watford's 3-0 FA Cup win.