PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , july,20

denime
07-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Mornin'

Toronto FC makes a pitch for Julian de Guzman
National team star offered 'lucrative' deal but still holds out hope for a return to Europe
Daniel Girard
It's decision time for Julian de Guzman.
The Canadian international midfielder from Scarborough has been offered a contract to join Toronto FC following the Gold Cup.
With Canada eliminated from the tournament after a 1-0 quarter-final loss to Honduras Saturday night, the 28-year-old, who has been playing in Europe, must decide what's next.

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/668762)

Reiforcements needed for Reds
Paul Attfield
Having watched his players sit back and let the visiting Houston Dynamo back into Saturday's game through Bobby Boswell's 75th-minute goal, Toronto FC head coach Chris Cummins looked to his bench for answers and a way to secure what had, at one stage, seemed a very winnable game.
“I'm thinking ‘Who can I get on to get us a goal?'” Cummins said. “And I've had to bring [defender] Marco [Velez] on at the end just to go and play up front because we're just a little bit tight on numbers.”

Read More (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/reiforcements-needed-for-reds/article1224139/)

Referees' errors have to stop
By GARETH WHEELER (gareth.wheeler@suntv.canoe.ca)
An embarrassment to the game.
There's no other way to describe referee Joel Aguilar despicably pointing to the penalty spot, gifting Honduras a goal on its way to eliminating Canada Saturday in their Gold Cup quarterfinal.
If the Honduran diving was ugly and a disgrace to fair-play, Aguilar trumped that.
For the second straight Gold Cup tournament, Canada goes home with an incomplete feeling, being screwed out of a fair result.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/07/20/10192146-sun.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Shep
07-20-2009, 05:33 AM
Good morning!

Hopefully JDG will decide today :scarf:

drek
07-20-2009, 05:40 AM
Morning!

scooter
07-20-2009, 06:57 AM
mornin d

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 07:02 AM
If DeGuzman is waiting for a better offer, then screw him. I know this is a third rate backwards league, but the fans should have enough pride to only have players who WANT to play for their club, on their club. See ya! Come back when you're washed up like the others do...

Oblio2
07-20-2009, 07:09 AM
$10m over 3 years is waaaay too much. He is not a DP player.......

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 07:10 AM
$10m over 3 years is waaaay too much. He is not a DP player.......

Agree again. Only forwards make the true "DP" impact...

maninb
07-20-2009, 07:24 AM
If DeGuzman is waiting for a better offer, then screw him. I know this is a third rate backwards league, but the fans should have enough pride to only have players who WANT to play for their club, on their club. See ya! Come back when you're washed up like the others do...

why do bother posting here 50 times a day if you HATE the league so much? It's on par with most of the smaller Euro leagues, and is getting better. It will never be the EPL or la liga, but we enjoy it for what it is.

keem-o-sabi
07-20-2009, 07:33 AM
coed girl (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/)

I agree, the league isn't that bad. They have silly rules, wtf cares, we get to watch professional footie here in person which wasn't an option 5 years ago. Yes the Lynx were around, but that wasn't really too professional.

nimamalek
07-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Central and South Americans should not be allowed to ref football matches. There is obviousely something wong with their decision making ability. Even the MLS's reffing doesnt come close to CONCACAF.

Parkdale
07-20-2009, 08:59 AM

it also took 3 seasons for DeRo to come back to Toronto.
I had the same opinion of him originally...

If he doesn't want to be here, fuck him then, we don't want him either

we'll obviously that has changed because of what he brings to the games he's in.
He's not like a Laurent Robert who checked out after a few games.

Will JDG be another Robert, or another DeRo? Impossible to say until he's here (or not here).
We are only speculating about his intentions and motivations.

Stouffville_RPB
07-20-2009, 09:05 AM
C'mon guys you can't blame JDG for wanting to play at the highest level.

Give him some credit that he is even thinking about coming back while is his prime.

Belfast_Boy
07-20-2009, 09:19 AM
can't blame de Guzman for wanting to go to the big show. if it doesn't work out I think he'd be an asset to TFC. if he can come here and play with the same heart that De Ro shows then we're lucky.

yes MLS is bush league, the play is ok, the refs are shite. but it's what we have. yes some players are at the end of their career and instead of riding the pine somewhere in Europe they've come here. if this didn't happen we wouldn't have guys like Dichio in the league.

The Kingpin
07-20-2009, 09:45 AM
it also took 3 seasons for DeRo to come back to Toronto.
I had the same opinion of him originally...

If he doesn't want to be here, fuck him then, we don't want him either

we'll obviously that has changed because of what he brings to the games he's in.
He's not like a Laurent Robert who checked out after a few games.

Will JDG be another Robert, or another DeRo? Impossible to say until he's here (or not here).

I understand all of that - but I personally do not want to be the begging ugly sister. Virtually everything on this board is speculation, but the does not take away from my point. Whatever the scenario - I would like players that want to come here. And for those who say I hate this league... They are right... I hate the way it operates. But I love my football team in Toronto, I'm an ambassador for TFC in the UK... Just the other day we were passing around the 442 article and showing YouTube clips... I'm proud of my Toronto team - but the league is out of touch with the whole footballing world. Not just Europe.

TFC~Vatreni
07-20-2009, 10:00 AM
A defensive midfielder is not worth DP money in MLS, IMO.

Stouffville_RPB
07-20-2009, 10:07 AM
JDG wouldn't be played in a DM role if signed. He has the talent to be a box to box midfielder. Paying DP money for a DM is stupid and if that is where he was going to play it wouldn't happen.

IF JDG signs you slide Amado a little deeper (more to where he plays with Honduras) and have JDG higher up in the midfield.

TFC~Vatreni
07-20-2009, 10:13 AM
JDG wouldn't be played in a DM role if signed. He has the talent to be a box to box midfielder. Paying DP money for a DM is stupid and if that is where he was going to play it wouldn't happen.

IF JDG signs you slide Amado a little deeper (more to where he plays with Honduras) and have JDG higher up in the midfield.

But does it all equate to more wins in MLS? I probably shouldn't care since it's MLSE's money but could the it be better spent? I think so.

jabbronies
07-20-2009, 10:22 AM

Speculation? It's pretty obvious. if he can't land with a big/medium time club and the smaller team isn't giving him the right money, then he'll come here. we are the 3rd option for him.

As for wether he'll be Dero? No he won't. DeRo is proven in this league. He came over here and he knew what to do. JDG is coming over from spanish La liga wich is less physical so he will have a hard time adjusting. how long will it take for him to adjust is the real question. Plus he's not an attacking mid, so his presence won't be as strongly felt as DeRo's is. Yes he can servie our Strikers. But our strikers can't score evn when they are in front of the net. So It doesn't really matter that he can get them the ball.

jabbronies
07-20-2009, 10:22 AM

good call..

Toronto Ruffrider
07-20-2009, 10:30 AM

But is money really the deciding factor here? I figured JDG wanted to stay in Europe because of the quality of football in the top leagues.

Stouffville_RPB
07-20-2009, 10:33 AM
But does it all equate to more wins in MLS? I probably shouldn't care since it's MLSE's money but could the it be better spent? I think so.

I think so. It would equal more ball possession, which would mean less time for the other team to score. Plus in an attacking role in MLS JDG would score a fair amount. Having JDG in the midfield with Robbo, Amado and Cronin could push DeRo up front where we would have the striker that we've been waiting for. Or you could then play a 5 man midfield with interchanging parts. Having Amado and JDG in there together would cause problems for every team in the league.

TFC would be able to play a more possession style game. Taking their time to set up plays and get the high quality chances while taking time away from the other team to score.

Super
07-20-2009, 11:41 AM
I would LOVE to see JDG sign for us, but I hope we won't regret this if our strikers continue to struggle with scoring goals (okay, granted, they've produced more lately, but I'm nervous about putting all our hopes into the boots of Barrett, Vitti and Dichio at this point in our season). Ali Gerba may change this, as may OBW, but it's always been my opinion that DP's should be strikers - for maximum impact. We already have the best midfield in the league - no need to improve there.

But having said that, I'm sentimental enough to love the idea of seeing JDG sporting a TFC jersey. But I feel that if he had not been Canadian (and Torontonian), and yet still as good - and in the same DM position, we probably would've been unhappy with the prospect of this deal.

Keystone FC
07-20-2009, 05:37 PM
I would LOVE to see JDG sign for us, but I hope we won't regret this if our strikers continue to struggle with scoring goals (okay, granted, they've produced more lately, but I'm nervous about putting all our hopes into the boots of Barrett, Vitti and Dichio at this point in our season). Ali Gerba may change this, as may OBW, but it's always been my opinion that DP's should be strikers - for maximum impact. We already have the best midfield in the league - no need to improve there.

But having said that, I'm sentimental enough to love the idea of seeing JDG sporting a TFC jersey. But I feel that if he had not been Canadian (and Torontonian), and yet still as good - and in the same DM position, we probably would've been unhappy with the prospect of this deal.

Agree Super, but we just need to let JDG go...for now. In another 3 years he will be BEGGING to come to Toronto and at a lower price. The more we wait on JDG the more strikers out there get signed by clubs to the point there is no one left to sign because we waited on one guy.
We could buy 2 or even 3 strikers with the money we are offering JDG.

Kaz
07-20-2009, 06:15 PM
lets look at some numbers.
TFC is in a Deficit goal situation for the season and is at 26 points.

Had JDG aided in the prevention of 2 goals to bring t team up to a even situation, that could result in a tie and a win out of a lose and a draw. that is 3 more points.

now TFC is at 29.

If he could have added in creating two goals, that takes us to +2 on goals, and another 3 points.

now TFC is at 32 points.

so ya.. it could have a big effect.
Gerba, and the young kids, as well as an increasing skill level appearing in Frei as well as strengthening the back line.

Do we need JDG, no, could we use him, yes, should he play here? not if he gets a decent offer from Europe.