PDA

View Full Version : Vitti & flags

geordie77
07-19-2009, 08:57 PM
can you please tell me why Vitti is playing & when he does, what does he do? over-rated & over-paid. and who is dropped when Gerba plays?
I have stand in section 115 & we have a few newbies at games, on Saturday, I heard one of the most bizzare statements in a long time, when TFC scores, one normally cheers, yells, shouts, waves a scarf & waves a banner. well , a newbie asked the wonderful banner waveing fans to please not wave the banner as he could not see the video board to see the replay!!! you dumb ass, watch the game & please keep on eaving the flags.

standupforthetfc
07-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah...I am in 115 as well and the amount of newbies there is absolutely ridiculous however I have just gotten somewhat used to it and ignore their comments

Yohan
07-19-2009, 09:01 PM
can you please tell me why Vitti is playing & when he does, what does he do? over-rated & over-paid. and who is dropped when Gerba plays?

clearly you missed the zany runs and passes Vitti was doing in 1st half, incl the textbook give and go he played with Wynne.

2nd half, Vitti was pretty invisible though. same could be said about a lot of TFC players.

FluSH
07-19-2009, 09:02 PM
clearly you missed the zany runs and passes Vitti was doing in 1st half, incl the textbook give and go he played with Wynne.

2nd half, Vitti was pretty invisible though. same could be said about a lot of TFC players.

and the give and go with Guevara...

Vitti for me was the MOTM on the previous game also, but Barett did score two coals on that one!

Oblio2
07-19-2009, 09:04 PM
I am NOT a fan of Vitti, however yesterday some of his close control and deking of players was excellent stuff.
Maybe it's taken a while to get used to being here, I don't know. I did see a hell of a lot of skill yesterday. I also saw some bullshit diving too....

Still, it's a lot for me to give him credit but he had some amazing moves. I was impressed.

flatpicker
07-19-2009, 09:04 PM
maybe from this point forward,
we should have a statement written on the backside of all banners and 2-sticks that says:
Are you bothered by this banner?
Well, eat it!

Yohan
07-19-2009, 09:05 PM
we should have a statement written on the backside of all banners and 2-sticks that says:
Well, eat it!
hahahahaha

flatpicker
07-19-2009, 09:05 PM
but Barett did score two coals on that one!

COOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

FluSH
07-19-2009, 09:07 PM
I am NOT a fan of Vitti, however yesterday some of his close control and deking of players was excellent stuff.
Maybe it's taken a while to get used to being here, I don't know. I did see a hell of a lot of skill yesterday. I also saw some bullshit diving too....

Still, it's a lot for me to give him credit but he had some amazing moves. I was impressed.

Vitti wasn't the only one who dove... Ibby just flopped in front of me... I mean I saw it with my very own eyes and I couldn't believe it! At a crucial point in the game when we had possesion deep in their half.

Whoop
07-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Vitti is more suitable to a playmaking role than as a striker. Which is part of the problem. When he first arrived everyone thought that he was going to be another super striker.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-19-2009, 09:56 PM
dont forget Houston got wise and covered Vitti heavily in the second half, thats a good reason as to why he disappeared

Yohan
07-19-2009, 10:00 PM
dont forget Houston got wise and covered Vitti heavily in the second half, thats a good reason as to why he disappeared
yes, but good players adapt to defensive changes, and still be able to influence the game.

I guess that's why Vitti is playing in MLS instead of Argentinian first division

Roogsy
07-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Insane.

I have to wonder if people who complain about Vitti know anything about soccer.

His biggest problem...lack of scoring. I agree.

Otherwise...the things he brings to this team is unrivaled by anyone else. In a league that is sorely lacking in technical skill you're ragging on one of the few players that actually has it? Geez...

BigD
07-19-2009, 10:16 PM
From what I have seen Vitti has been great on the ball. Watching him handle the ball has been brilliant most of the time but is having trouble getting solid looks on goal. Also, I find he lacks vision sometimes to get into open space.

But for the most part i think he is getting more confident and confortable with every game and improvement is showing.

AL-MO
07-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Well, eat it!

That sounds like a King Dave manufactured banner. :D

AL-MO
07-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Oh and LOL at the video board comment.

You REALLY want to watch the game, download it and analyze it after.

clc12
07-20-2009, 12:10 AM
why do people chirp on vitti. it takes time to adapt to a different style of play than what a player is accustomed to. heck if i'm not mistaken it took carlos tevez 19 appearances for west ham before he scored his first goal. then he tore it up.
i'm not saying vitti is gonna tear it up but give him some time.
why do people expect this guy to come in and run over everybody??

Yohan
07-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Seems generally, SA players, esp Argentinians take a long time to adapt to other leagues.

I forgot who, but some MLS coach said he'll never sign an Argentinian unless that guy has already proven himself at MLS, because Argentinians take too long to adjust to the league, like an year.

DichioTFC
07-20-2009, 01:26 AM
Seems generally, SA players, esp Argentinians take a long time to adapt to other leagues.

I forgot who, but some MLS coach said he'll never sign an Argentinian unless that guy has already proven himself at MLS, because Argentinians take too long to adjust to the league, like an year.

I always thought the problem with Vitti was adapting to Toronto. I spoke with Vitti at Jack Astors after the game and he seemed pretty well adjusted to Canadian culture and customs, at least compared to the videos of him on TFC TV.

Hopefully he can start shutting up the haters.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-20-2009, 01:39 AM
yes, but good players adapt to defensive changes, and still be able to influence the game.

I guess that's why Vitti is playing in MLS instead of Argentinian first division

thought that too and thats the same conclusion i came to (along with prob some other problems contributing to that)

torontocelt
07-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Insane.

Otherwise...the things he brings to this team is unrivaled by anyone else. In a league that is sorely lacking in technical skill you're ragging on one of the few players that actually has it? Geez...

I have seen Vitti have some shocking games for TFC, I would go so far as say I have seen him play more bad games than good games. I do think however that he is a decent player and you can see that he is capable however I do feel that he has underperformed this season. Toronto FC has very little depth and because of this Vitti's position is safe. I would hope that it would not be too difficult for TFC to replace Vitti if they had to next season with someone more capable.

fetajr
07-20-2009, 09:09 AM
I have stand in section 115 & we have a few newbies at games, on Saturday, I heard one of the most bizzare statements in a long time, when TFC scores, one normally cheers, yells, shouts, waves a scarf & waves a banner. well , a newbie asked the wonderful banner waveing fans to please not wave the banner as he could not see the video board to see the replay!!! you dumb ass, watch the game & please keep on eaving the flags.

Vitti does a whole lot. He moves the ball up the field, opens up the field with his precise passing, sets up plays with vision that few TFC attackers have, and is the only guy on the team that can beat a defender one on one. He even hussles when he doesn't have the ball and gets possession back. You can't look at his stats and judge that he does nothing, open your eyes and you'll see that he is an important peice of the puzzle.

Take Barrett out when Gerba arrives.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 09:10 AM
I have seen Vitti have some shocking games for TFC, I would go so far as say I have seen him play more bad games than good games. I do think however that he is a decent player and you can see that he is capable however I do feel that he has underperformed this season. Toronto FC has very little depth and because of this Vitti's position is safe. I would hope that it would not be too difficult for TFC to replace Vitti if they had to next season with someone more capable.

Shocking? How?

Are you telling me other players have not had off games? And are we now calling an off game, "shocking"?

fetajr
07-20-2009, 09:12 AM
whats shocking is Barretts

ClearOpportunity:Goal

ratio

Pachuco
07-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Funny you bring this up on a day where be played so well. Oh well, some people will never be satisfied until we have 11 Messi's on the field.

dow117
07-20-2009, 09:49 AM
I am baffled when I see comments like this . If you know a little football, you would realize that Vitti is one of 3 gifted technical players that we have on the team. I agree with the playmaker comments vs. striker but thats a coaching concern. Vitti is improving every game and is a threat every time he has the ball ....

joel
07-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Since Vitti has be put in a more central midfield role, I thought he has played a lot better. (last 2 games) He's also shooting more often.

Detroit_TFC
07-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Oh and LOL at the video board comment.

You REALLY want to watch the game, download it and analyze it after.

Somewhat off topic -

I wonder if people are losing the ability to watch a live event that's not on a screen. The screen in the new Cowboys stadium is huge - 160 ft by 71 ft.

http://gizmodo.com/5265050/dallas-cowboys-worlds-largest-hd-video-screen-debuts

:picard:

flatpicker
07-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Somewhat off topic -

I wonder if people are losing the ability to watch a live event that's not on a screen. The screen in the new Cowboys stadium is huge - 160 ft by 71 ft.

http://gizmodo.com/5265050/dallas-cowboys-worlds-largest-hd-video-screen-debuts

:picard:

Good Lord! That is one hell of a big screen!

People are obsessed with digital gizmos these days.

Someone posted a picture recently in one of these threads showing a guy at a soccer game holding a small tv device, watching the same game he was at!

I think the planet is being drugged with technology!

... and I like Vitti...

joshpa
07-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Insane.

and how!!!!!!!

torontocelt
07-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Shocking? How?

Are you telling me other players have not had off games? And are we now calling an off game, "shocking"?

Perhaps shocking is a bit strong, what I meant is that I have seen him play below what I would consider to be an average game. There has been games where he has done nothing and although his form is picking up I am under no illusions that he is an average player with a few tricks. His form for me has been inconsistent over the season and I know that he could have produced more but for whatever the reason may be he hasn't. As for his tracking back I do like it and I am glad he does it, it is a good trait to have and other players in football could learn from him in that aspect.

Darlofletch
07-20-2009, 12:41 PM
i wouldn't say i was a Vitti hater, but in the numerous Vitti vs Barrett threads, i was definitely more in favour of barrett, early season, Vitti wasn't scoring, and lost possession by trying to dribble through a bunch of players way too many times.

lately though, he's been a lot better, and the 2 games he's played in the hole rather than on the wing, he's been great, probably our best player, there was a terrible lack of recognition/applause when he got subbed off against Houston. it's going to be interesting when Cronin comes back and gerba joins up to see what they do, if they put Guevara back in that spot, or let Vitti keep going with it.

ah, competition for places and quality depth. I like it.

grizzle
07-20-2009, 01:11 PM
How many more times do these dumb threads need to be started.

mmmikey
07-20-2009, 01:12 PM
if someone never watched a game until the last 3 this season, they would think vitti was one of our best players. he has some work to do winning ppl over after his rough first half, but the way he is being deployed right now is terrific.

having vitti or guevara linking up and trying to spring someone like gerba or dero on a fantastic chance will win alot of ppl over. he seems a new man lately, really playing well with more of the team. he was really at odds with some players at the start of the season (DeRo and him were a horrible combo in the first couple months.. they seem to click much nicer now).

bhoybobby
07-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Vitti, starts 'cause he's a very good footballer, very strong, very unselfish.

A top player:scarf:

Bobo
07-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Insane.

Vitti obviously has fantastic skill and close control but I don't think he has the offensive awareness to compliment his control. He often seems to focus on himself instead of the game around him. The fact that he has not become what he was supposed to be when he was young I think is a testimony to that. For players to mature they have to open their eyes more. Perhaps the language barrier is part of the problem.

TFC_Junky
07-20-2009, 09:24 PM

You obviously have no football IQ in terms of off the ball play. Maybe he should have notched a few more than he has but he's definitly one of the top three players on this team who know what to do when the ball's at his feet. ^ perhaps the language barrier is a bit of a problem...

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Vitti obviously has fantastic skill and close control but I don't think he has the offensive awareness to compliment his control. He often seems to focus on himself instead of the game around him. The fact that he has not become what he was supposed to be when he was young I think is a testimony to that. For players to mature they have to open their eyes more. Perhaps the language barrier is part of the problem.

Definitely has areas to improve on for sure. If you can coax that awareness out of him to add to his technical skill? Watch out!

TFC_Junky
07-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Definitely has areas to improve on for sure. If you can coax that awareness out of him to add to his technical skill? Watch out!
I've been saying all year this guy has fantastic skills and once he gets how the MLS game is played, he'll kill it. I'm with you.^^^

backbeat
07-20-2009, 10:06 PM
all i can say is:

Vitti is one of our best players - work rate, skill/quality - we have very few like him

yes i would love to see more balls in the back of the net

he is certainly one palyer i would keep

those that deride him i really wonder about their football knowledge....

Yohan
07-20-2009, 10:09 PM
let's remember that Vitti is only here on a loan. if Independiante wants any sort of decent amount of transfer fee, we're not going to able to get him for next year

Blizzard
07-20-2009, 10:40 PM
let's remember that Vitti is only here on a loan. if Independiante wants any sort of decent amount of transfer fee, we're not going to able to get him for next year

I was given the impression that his contract with Independiente may be up at the end of this season.

We also have the obligatory MLS "buy out" clause that must exist in any loan arrangement approved by the league.

That was part of the delay in getting the deal done back in the spring. The dollar figure had to be determined.

Once it was finalized, the deal was sealed. If we want Vitti next year, it most likely won't be Independiente that is the problem.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-20-2009, 10:49 PM
itll be a matter of salary, i wonder if Vitti would be willing to take less as hes getting playing time nad doing well at that, i cant say that i think hes worth 300k but hes definitely agreat player.

Yohan
07-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I was given the impression that his contract with Independiente may be up at the end of this season.

We also have the obligatory MLS "buy out" clause that must exist in any loan arrangement approved by the league.

That was part of the delay in getting the deal done back in the spring. The dollar figure had to be determined.

Once it was finalized, the deal was sealed. If we want Vitti next year, it most likely won't be Independiente that is the problem.
i've heard of the future transfer fee clause in mls loan clauses, but i've yet to see any document that backs it up. anyone got a link?

Yohan
07-20-2009, 11:00 PM
itll be a matter of salary, i wonder if Vitti would be willing to take less as hes getting playing time nad doing well at that, i cant say that i think hes worth 300k but hes definitely agreat player.
i wouldn't be against giving him a similar contract like shitlicker has.

base salary of 100k, loaded with incentives for appearances, goals, assists, whether team makes playoffs, etc