PDA

View Full Version : Brennan the goat of the game

sampace
07-18-2009, 03:43 PM
For all of those "Harmse", "Barret", "Valez", and "Vitti" haters out there, there was a goat in this game....and he was the person who let Boswell slip in behind him for an open header to tie the game. No, it wasn't a rookie, but a veteran, none other than Captain Jim Brennan. He played the cute offside play instead of keeping with him and cutting the header out! Brennan is at fault for this tie in my opinion. If you don't agree watch the video evidence on the TFC webpage or MLS to see the hilights. Jim Brennan loses track of who is slipping in behind him as he watched the ball come in, then raises his hand to appeal for an offside!!!!

Bobo
07-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Serioux (for his time) Wynne and Garcia all could have given up goals as well. Save Nana, our backline was not very good today.

greatwhitenorf
07-18-2009, 03:56 PM
We all need
Someone
We can bleed on
So if you want to
You can bleed all over B

Shakes McQueen
07-18-2009, 04:12 PM
I do think Brennan is probably the weakest link in our back four these days. I suspect that may be part of why Cummins is trying to use him as a winger.

Brennan was great to sign for TFC, because he appealed the the Canadian identity of our team, but in our third year now, I think we are starting to move past what Jimmy B can offer us talent-wise.

Look at our development as a club - we went from signing lower-tier Canadian players in years 1 and 2, to going after the CMNT's best players now - Gerba, DeRo, Serioux, de Guzman etc.

Not sure what TFC can do about it though, as you can't really intentionally sit out your captain, and I doubt they are going to take the armband away from him any time soon. I also doubt he is going to announce his retirement after this season.

It's a tough situation, because I like Jimmy B a lot, but he has been putting in a lot of sub-par performances at LB this season.

- Scott

Jack
07-18-2009, 04:21 PM
It was a draw against a good team who played a solid road game.

Whenever the other team scores, someone has to make the mistake. If we played perfectly all the time, we'd never get scored on.

Brennan's a pro and he knows he missed one. It happens to the best of them.

I'm not going to shit on him because of it.

boban
07-18-2009, 04:24 PM

Whenever the other team scores, someone has to make the mistake. If we played perfectly all the time, we'd never get scored on.

I agree.
He wasn't playing on the back line to start off also.
People just like to shit on someone.

Shakes McQueen
07-18-2009, 04:24 PM

I don't take issue with defenders occasionally make a mistake. I do take issue with the fact that Frei saved the ball initially, and no one came back to assist him, because Brennan and everyone else were too busy standing around appealing for the offside call.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
07-18-2009, 04:29 PM
I agree.

Even though I'm normally chastised here for being overly optimistic and sunny about the team, I have to disagree here. He wasn't shitting on Brennan - he was pointing out the poor play that lead to the goal.

And while Brennan didn't start at LB, it has been has native position with TFC for three years now.

I don't get why it's accepted as okay to pile on Barrett here no matter what he does, but pointing out that Brennan had a terrible game, is not.

- Scott

Jack
07-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Even though I'm normally chastised here for being overly optimistic and sunny about the team, I have to disagree here. He wasn't shitting on Brennan - he was pointing out the poor play that lead to the goal.

And while Brennan didn't start at LB, it has been has native position with TFC for three years now.

I don't get why it's accepted as okay to pile on Barrett here no matter what he does, but pointing out that Brennan had a terrible game, is not.

- Scott
I don't think it's ok to pile on Barrett or any other player. I think he had a decent game today as well.

You can certainly point out their mistakes and in the case of guys who aren't putting in any effort and who obviously don't care, like Robert, Cunny and Ruiz, you can call them out all you want. I just think shitting on guys who wear the jersey with pride and passion is not cool.

Just to clarify my position on things.

manic.street.preacher
07-18-2009, 05:10 PM
I don't think it's ok to pile on Barrett or any other player. I think he had a decent game today as well.

You can certainly point out there mistakes and in the case of guys who aren't putting in any effort and who obviously don't care, like Robert, Cunny and Ruiz, you can call them out all you want. I just think shitting on guys who wear the jersey with pride and passion is not cool.

^ perfect, absolutely perfect :scarf:

ps. this forum needs a quote bar for things like that

[NBF]
07-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Personally, I dont think Brennan is a good captain, he lacks certain skills that make a captain. I think he can be a co-captain with someone else as captain though, he makes for a good wingman(no puns, no puns).

Brennan is definitely better off as either a Left Wingback or a Left Midfielder.

I was happy to see TFC switch to a 4-5-1. Serioux at Left Back was a mystery to me.

Shakes McQueen
07-18-2009, 05:41 PM
I just think shitting on guys who wear the jersey with pride and passion is not cool.

And I agree with that statement - but that wasn't really what happened here. He didn't go on some rant about how he sucks, or how he couldn't defend a pie from Colin Samuel. He just mentioned that Brennan was at fault for the goal. I just think that's fair game.

- Scott

Jack
07-18-2009, 05:43 PM
And I agree with that statement - but that wasn't really what happened here. He didn't go on some rant about how he sucks, or how he couldn't defend a pie from Colin Samuel. He just mentioned that Brennan was at fault for the goal. I just think that's fair game.

- Scott
True enough. Just consider my post preemtive then :D

AdamZ
07-18-2009, 06:09 PM
I do think Brennan is probably the weakest link in our back four these days. I suspect that may be part of why Cummins is trying to use him as a winger.

Brennan was great to sign for TFC, because he appealed the the Canadian identity of our team, but in our third year now, I think we are starting to move past what Jimmy B can offer us talent-wise.

Look at our development as a club - we went from signing lower-tier Canadian players in years 1 and 2, to going after the CMNT's best players now - Gerba, DeRo, Serioux, de Guzman etc.

Not sure what TFC can do about it though, as you can't really intentionally sit out your captain, and I doubt they are going to take the armband away from him any time soon. I also doubt he is going to announce his retirement after this season.

It's a tough situation, because I like Jimmy B a lot, but he has been putting in a lot of sub-par performances at LB this season.

- Scott

Cummins' solution is working okay (playing him as a winger). I liked him in the San Jose game and in the early goings today.

felipe
07-18-2009, 06:25 PM
I'll have to watch that again...i could have sworn it was someone else's man - not Brennan's...I'll check again

Regardless...disapointing two points dropped against a side missing its three best offensive threats

Cambridge_Red
07-18-2009, 06:27 PM
t minus 5 seconds until brennan shouldnt be our captain thread appears...

Shakes McQueen
07-18-2009, 06:29 PM
I'll have to watch that again...i could have sworn it was someone else's man - not Brennan's...I'll check again

Regardless...disapointing two points dropped against a side missing its three best offensive threats

I know DeRo was standing there too. In fairness, while the initial error was Brennan's, you can blame the actual goal on several people, because half the goddamn team was standing there waving their arms for offside.

- Scott

dow117
07-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Once again, Cummins makes a poor move and the player is blamed.. Bennan has been very good when moved up, he has some great crosses from the left mid. When Serioux was hurt was when Velez should have been brought on and Jim B left at AM.
My heart sinks when I see Garcia as the last man back .. he is savvy but very slow ...

S_D
07-18-2009, 06:43 PM
I know DeRo was standing there too. In fairness, while the initial error was Brennan's, you can blame the actual goal on several people, because half the goddamn team was standing there waving their arms for offside.

- Scott

I watched the replay and I thought he was Dero's man too.

bhoybobby
07-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Another Marvell Wynn useless foul, the lad has the football intelligence of a seagull, he comes back & we change the shape of the side to fit him in. Attakora's a better fullback

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-18-2009, 07:41 PM
A goal is rarely one man's fault. Brennan isn't the goat, nobody really is. We came out flat and that's all there is to it.

Shakes McQueen
07-18-2009, 07:42 PM
A goal is rarely one man's fault. Brennan isn't the goat, nobody really is. We came out flat and that's all there is to it.

Brennan had a bad game in general after moving to LB, but he was one of a few, you're right.

- Scott

Stryker
07-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Another Marvell Wynn useless foul, the lad has the football intelligence of a seagull, he comes back & we change the shape of the side to fit him in. Attakora's a better fullback

Yes I agree. Having Serioux as RB is bullshit. We need him centered in front of the goalie. We need him in that exact position more than any other player in any other postion.
I really don't know what the fuck Cummins is thinking.

:picard:

Derko
07-18-2009, 07:47 PM
To me it looked like 2 first place teams battling to a 1-1 draw, if you hve to blame anything it was not finishing the chances TFC had.

I thought it was a good match, but a far too scrappy match!!

sampace
07-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks Shakes, it is exactly what I was trying to say. I'm not saying Brennan is terrible, but between him and DeRo they let the goal scorer slip in behind. I think the reason you won't see Serioux in the middle is because Garcia is too slow to play at the wings.

Roogsy
07-18-2009, 08:25 PM

Yep.

Although I have to say, Jimmy has solid games and some games where he's subpar. Just like any other player I suppose.

Fushida
07-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Yes I agree. Having Serioux as RB is bullshit. We need him centered in front of the goalie. We need him in that exact position more than any other player in any other postion.
I really don't know what the fuck Cummins is thinking.

:picard:

actually he made the right choice. garcia/serioux are slow. very very slow. houston had kei kamara and oduro... two of the faster strikers in the league. we would have been sliced and diced open had it been serioux and garcia. notice how many times garcia got outpaced today when marking kamara? nana on the other hand was able to keep up with oduro..

Keyman
07-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Brennan rarely goes noticed in games, which is a good sign for a defender. He doesn't wow you, as his pace, strength and positioning are nothing to write home about, but it's not often that Brennan makes a fatal error. By next year, I think Brennan will be pushed out of his starting position, but as of now, he's not a liability, and our options on the bench are sub-par. Therefore he will continue to start, continually putting in average performances.

grizzle
07-19-2009, 02:21 AM
Serioux (for his time) Wynne and Garcia all could have given up goals as well. Save Nana, our backline was not very good today.

I thought Wynne busted his ass off and played a great game. Garcia wasn't that bad either. The ball shouldn't have even gotten that far back a lot of the time if it wasn't for some of the other guys making some brutal mistakes.

pepher
07-19-2009, 07:06 AM
perhaps Guevara could have closed down the initial cross with a bit more conviction...

one problem with a great keeper... players sometimes get over confident that nothing will result in a goal.

joesoccerfan
07-19-2009, 06:12 PM
While it is hard to disagree that Brennan wasn't at fault for the goal, I don't think that means he deserves the same treatment of Velez and co. Those players mentioned were criticized for a pattern of poor performance, not because of a single mistake.

I would agree that Brennan isn't as good as he used to be at LB, and there is no doubt that TFC is weakest on the left side now. I believe that Pozniak will give us a little cover on the left side if he signs eventually.

DichioTFC
07-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I thought Wynne busted his ass off and played a great game. Garcia wasn't that bad either. The ball shouldn't have even gotten that far back a lot of the time if it wasn't for some of the other guys making some brutal mistakes.

Not sure if you were at the game, but Wynne was constantly out of position and pretty lazy when it came to marking. He busted his ass off to get back into position after he had already been beat.

ua-kozak_TFC
07-20-2009, 07:56 AM
.... Garcia was the worst player on the pitch by a MILE!!! ... MVP of the gAME.. aTTAKORA....!!!!! that guy was a monster.. he was everywhere and stopping everything!if it wasn;t for him we would have definetly lost this one...

dannyd
07-20-2009, 10:03 AM
In my opinion, the biggest weak link on our team is our defense. And I'm not talking about the individual quality of our four players at the back. I'm talking about the way we defend as a team. It leads me to believe that we could do with an experienced defensive coach. Perhaps it's not our currrent coaching staff's forte.
For instance, Sutton used to drive me nuts coz he always just hoofed the ball up field. I was thrilled when Frei replaced him because of his distribution and changing things up. However, after about 6 games for TFC, Frei started to just hoof the ball up field every time and now is just like Sutton was. This leads me to believe that our goalkeepers are being instructed to play like this.
When we loose posession of the ball, we don't compact, players back off the ball like I've never seen before. No one steps in and pressures the ball. I swear our defense would run all the way back into the goal if they kept running at us. We should just play with three goalies and no central defenders.
My point is, we have good players, and while I respect Cummins and think he's a huge improvement over Carver, we do not have good defensive coaching skills on this team. I don't see anyone improving defensively, in fact I see good defensive players getting worse. This is not a good sign.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 10:06 AM
^ Man...I gotta agree with this post wholeheartedly.

Parkdale
07-20-2009, 10:13 AM
wait....

do you mean G.O.A.T (greatest of all time) like JJ Cool J?

BayernTFC
07-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Cummins' solution is working okay (playing him as a winger). I liked him in the San Jose game and in the early goings today.
I agree. Brennan did an admirable job on the wing in the first half of the San Jose match. He was effective, along with DeRo, at stretching Houston's defense for the short period of time before Serioux had to leave the pitch. It was a shame that we were unable to see some more of the play in that formation on Saturday. Serioux was having a tough time at left-back though.

I think Brennan has performed well when utilized along the wing even while at left-back. Unfortunately, forcing him to cover the entire field leaves as exposed at the back imho. He can supply decent crosses into the box from wide positions which is a real asset to the team.

Detroit_TFC
07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
In my opinion, the biggest weak link on our team is our defense. And I'm not talking about the individual quality of our four players at the back. I'm talking about the way we defend as a team. It leads me to believe that we could do with an experienced defensive coach. Perhaps it's not our currrent coaching staff's forte.
For instance, Sutton used to drive me nuts coz he always just hoofed the ball up field. I was thrilled when Frei replaced him because of his distribution and changing things up. However, after about 6 games for TFC, Frei started to just hoof the ball up field every time and now is just like Sutton was. This leads me to believe that our goalkeepers are being instructed to play like this.
When we loose posession of the ball, we don't compact, players back off the ball like I've never seen before. No one steps in and pressures the ball. I swear our defense would run all the way back into the goal if they kept running at us. We should just play with three goalies and no central defenders.
My point is, we have good players, and while I respect Cummins and think he's a huge improvement over Carver, we do not have good defensive coaching skills on this team. I don't see anyone improving defensively, in fact I see good defensive players getting worse. This is not a good sign.

+1
Bullseye

Tyler Durden
07-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Brennan is better fitted for the wing but not as a starter.....its too bad he is captain because that means he will have to stay put until he retires...he's not solid on the back line...he's really slow but sometimes plays a quality ball....not good enough for tfc to win a championship....

T-Bird
07-21-2009, 01:54 PM

You can certainly point out their mistakes and in the case of guys who aren't putting in any effort and who obviously don't care, like Robert, Cunny and Ruiz, you can call them out all you want. I just think shitting on guys who wear the jersey with pride and passion is not cool.

Just to clarify my position on things.

I<3 you!!!

Parkdale
07-21-2009, 02:06 PM
^ you just love the mustache

scooter
07-21-2009, 02:15 PM
I agree.

unfortunatly people on this board just like to hear themselves speak
logic and common sense are apparently not needed