PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to the GIANT banners?

greatwhitenorf
07-18-2009, 04:56 AM
About to head out for a regular Saturday morning round of golf, which will be a brisk one today with the earlier start.

Last week, the question came up amongst the chaps regarding those wonderful huge TFC banners that were passed across the stands in the first two seasons. Wonderful mechanism for getting the casual fan caught up in the atmosphere.

Don't see them much any more. Think there was smaller one in 110 earlier this year.

Have they been banned? Destroyed? Stolen?

MG42
07-18-2009, 06:39 AM
They've actually cut the banners up into 6X6 pieces and framed them, I think they're selling for $249 at Centre Sports.

Just kidding, I have no idea what happened to them.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/03/29/392toronto_fc080512cp.jpg

greatwhitenorf
07-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Lo and behold, out pops one today, a nice red one. Shame it didn't travel further.

mastermixer
07-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Lo and behold, out pops one today, a nice red one. Shame it didn't travel further.
I saw it pop up around the 44 minute mark. Unfortunately, there was ONE guy who would not lift it above him and it ruined the whole flag for everyone. It just kept rising around him but cumpled up where he held it back. Funny how all it takes is one guy to ruin it for 20000 people.

mlsintoronto
07-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Why it came out during play I have no idea!

Wagner
07-18-2009, 06:46 PM
there has been a steady increase of 2-stix and flags across the south end....the massive banners kind of stifle that.
use them in the east (like 105 area).

cuecas_red
07-18-2009, 10:44 PM
there has been a steady increase of 2-stix and flags across the south end....the massive banners kind of stifle that.
use them in the east (like 105 area).
nooooooooooooooooooooooo.....I rather watch the game

FluSH
07-19-2009, 07:01 AM
^^^
It's a total of 30 seconds that you might not see the game... think of it like going to the bathroom... unless you pee on a cup.

Anyhow, I would like to see this banner more often as well...

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Same! If you don't want to miss the game then do it before the opening kickoff. I agree that doing it in the east or lower west stand would be a lot better, the south has plenty of banners, two-sticks, flags, etc. I'd like to see more of that banner as well.

flatpicker
07-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Banners are great!
I like the big TFC banner, but I like the big banners supporters have made even more.
Hopefully we will see more of them in future games!

As for the TFC banner that came out during the game... that was a mess!
I think where they really went wrong was starting it at the bottom.
If they had unrolled it from the top of the stands, I think it would have been much easier to manage, with people holding the top of it so it didn't get all crumpled up like it did yesterday.

As for cuecas_red's comment about the 2-sticks and flags interrupting his view of the game...
Get over it!
A few seconds of flags in front of you is not gonna ruin your viewing experience!

james
07-19-2009, 06:47 PM
sometimes we dont have that many banners hanging in fron of the South End to. We need to fill that whole railling every game!!!

greatwhitenorf
07-19-2009, 07:23 PM
The best thing about the BIG flags or banners being passed around, is that it makes it instantly apparent to casual fans that this isn't your father's sporting event.

If you've been under it on the west side with a load of newbs - missionary work, I tell you - the look on their faces and the giggling and conversation that it inspires afterward are something to behold.

After that, when it comes to chants and songs and getting loud - they're putty in your hands.

So crack 'em out again, whatever way works. They look great and work great.

n_potts
07-19-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm all for large banners and Tifo's but bringing it out during the 44th minute was just stupid.....I can deal with it at the beginning of the game or the start of the second half but who in the fuck thought that bringing it out at the end of the first half was a good idea? That's why me and everyone in the direct area around me in 116 tried to roll it up and get it over our head as quick as possible, so we wouldn't be misssing the action on the pitch.

greatwhitenorf
07-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Agreed, not the best sense of timing. However, pottsie, this is a multi-media world we live in.

The few seconds you might have missed live, would always have been available on the stadium scoreboards had anything important happened.

TFC Laboratories has completed studies showing that the continued smooth passage of the banner above fans would have helped contribute to better atmosphere and more intense fan support that would have boosted team spirit enough to prevent the tying goal by Houston.

Two points lost. All down to you, bud.

DichioTFC
07-19-2009, 08:45 PM
i was in the section that had the flag passed over (can anyone tell me what was on it? we were joking that it said "These Suckers Can't See The Game Right Now"), and it we were all keen on the idea, even while joking about the minor inconvenience. However, doing it earlier in the half (and not during a possible scoring opportunity) would be a little better. but still, i like it