PDA

View Full Version : Barrett finds scoring touch after time off

johnmolinaro
07-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Talked to Chad Barrett at practice this morning. Here's what I wrote: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/07/16/sp-barrett-tofc.html (http://tinyurl.com/kwgbvr)

Cheers,
John Molinaro
Follow me on Twitter at
http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

flatpicker
07-16-2009, 05:36 PM
thanks John
Here's hoping we'll be seeing more goals from Barret.
With Gerba coming in, I'm sure there will be a lot of competition up front, which should prove beneficial.

Darlofletch
07-16-2009, 05:37 PM
"The two months that preceded Barrett's two-goal performance was pure hell for the American forward. Though he continued to work hard in training and pushed himself hard in games, he couldn't buy a goal, as he squandered one scoring chance after another."

He could buy a goal, he bought one in both games against Montreal.

It's not just you John, On saturday, Gerry and Craig mentioned a few times how he's only got two goals all season, or that's his third of the season, or he's doubled his tally for the season.

Yes, league goals and overall goals should be two seperate stats, but why are people pretending the voyageur cup goals don't count. River Plate and real Madrid absolutely shouldn't count towards anything, but the v-cup was a legitimate tournament, why do people seem intent on ignoring it?

Not trying to be pissy, it's happend often enough recently that I'm genuinely puzzled.

flatpicker
07-16-2009, 05:39 PM
^ good point.

johnmolinaro
07-16-2009, 05:49 PM
"The two months that preceded Barrett's two-goal performance was pure hell for the American forward. Though he continued to work hard in training and pushed himself hard in games, he couldn't buy a goal, as he squandered one scoring chance after another."

He could buy a goal, he bought one in both games against Montreal.

It's not just you John, On saturday, Gerry and Craig mentioned a few times how he's only got two goals all season, or that's his third of the season, or he's doubled his tally for the season.

Yes, league goals and overall goals should be two seperate stats, but why are people pretending the voyageur cup goals don't count. River Plate and real Madrid absolutely shouldn't count towards anything, but the v-cup was a legitimate tournament, why do people seem intent on ignoring it?

Not trying to be pissy, it's happend often enough recently that I'm genuinely puzzled.

Well, I did mention in the story he scored against the Impact in the v-cup - the focus of the story was his lack of production in MLS.

Darlofletch
07-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Well, I did mention in the story he scored against the Impact in the v-cup - the focus of the story was his lack of production in MLS.

An editor must have taken it out then becaue there's nothing about the goals, you mention the 6-1 miracle in montreal, but neglect to mention the fact that he scored the game winner, and in article about how Barrett struggles to score, that seems a bit unfair.

I get that the mls streak is what you were going for and it does say 8 straight mls games without a goal, but it doesn't mention him scoring in other competitions, and to a casual reader who doesn't already know he scored those goals, it would come off as he hasn't scored in almost two months, which again, seems a bit unfair.

And the caption for the photo says he's scored 4 times in 17 games this season. 4 in 17 mls games would be more accurate, or 6 goals in 21 games.

Aside from that minor point though, an interesting little article, thanks.

johnmolinaro
07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
An editor must have taken it out then becaue there's nothing about the goals, you mention the 6-1 miracle in montreal, but neglect to mention the fact that he scored the game winner, and in article about how Barrett struggles to score, that seems a bit unfair.

I get that the mls streak is what you were going for and it does say 8 straight mls games without a goal, but it doesn't mention him scoring in other competitions, and to a casual reader who doesn't already know he scored those goals, it would come off as he hasn't scored in almost two months, which again, seems a bit unfair.

And the caption for the photo says he's scored 4 times in 17 games this season. 4 in 17 mls games would be more accurate, or 6 goals in 21 games.

damn those copy editors!!!!

Davenport
07-16-2009, 06:17 PM

He scored against weaker opposition in the cup....don't forget Montreal gave up on that game, fielded a weaker team and couldn't care less about the result.
Even at full strength Montreal and Vancouver are weaker than TFC...or should be.

He's not good enough and once Gerba's here won't play much.

TFCRegina
07-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Montreal brings out the best in Chad Barrett, but let's be realistic, this title of the article is extremely humourous considering the cries for blood that have been heard from across the TFC Nation. One game of scoring two goals doesn't mean he's found that scoring touch. It means he had one excellent game at finishing. If he does it in two back to back games, then we can say he's found it.

andyc
07-16-2009, 06:22 PM
"After that, I came back with a huge smile on my face and it's been there since."

When I read this quote the first thing I thought of was that he must have finally got laid!!

:drum:

Darlofletch
07-16-2009, 06:26 PM
I wasn't trying to turn this into a why are you being mean to barrett thread, I'm genuinely interested in why the two competitions get so seperated by the media. Same with De Ro and Guevara's totals. it shouldn't be too hard to say "in league play" after talking about them sharing the team lead with 5 goals. Even TFC's website stats page completely ignores anything other than MLS (though that seems to be a very cookie cutter format that all mls teams share so it makes a bit more sense there).

I thought there might be an actual reason that a media person such as John might be able to answer.

Darlofletch
07-16-2009, 06:29 PM
"After that, I came back with a huge smile on my face and it's been there since."

When I read this quote the first thing I thought of was that he must have finally got laid!!

LOL.

Toronto women need to start giving him some loving.:hump:

BJ's from ER for CB, never mind JDG.:D

Davenport
07-16-2009, 06:33 PM
I wasn't trying to turn this into a why are you being mean to barrett thread, I'm genuinely interested in why the two competitions get so seperated by the media. Same with De Ro and Guevara's totals. it shouldn't be too hard to say "in league play" after talking about them sharing the team lead with 5 goals. Even TFC's website stats page completely ignores anything other than MLS (though that seems to be a very cookie cutter format that all mls teams share so it makes a bit more sense there).

I thought there might be an actual reason that a media person such as John might be able to answer.

Historically around the world, league and cup goals are seperated.
It's because many cup games are played against inferior opposition and even though they are important aren't classed as such.

Steve
07-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Good point. Could he not find any Canadian girls to get his rocks off though? Anyone on this board want to volunteer? It's for the good of the team...

craigtfc
07-16-2009, 07:33 PM
did you ask him if he thinks he could ever score again?

Carter
07-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Good point. Could he not find any Canadian girls to get his rocks off though? Anyone on this board want to volunteer? It's for the good of the team...

I think his girlfriend might mind...

Darlofletch
07-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Historically around the world, league and cup goals are seperated.
It's because many cup games are played against inferior opposition and even though they are important aren't classed as such.

seperated yes, but not ignored?

randomly without bothering to look things up, I could tell you that Cristiano Ronaldo scored 40 something goals on 07/08 season, why do I know that, becasue it's a stat that gets repeated a lot. In 1983/84 Ian Rush scored 48 or 49* goals in all competitions. couldn't tell you how many league goals he scored even thought hat was back in my liverpool supporting days, oh the shame. what is Dixie Dean most remembered for? scoring 60 goals in a season, I don't think i've ever seen that stat broken down into league goals and cup goals.

are you going to tell Pele or Romario that they didn't score 1000 goals because some of them were cup competitions?

*after looking it up, this is a direct quote from rush's wikipedia page "He scored 47 goals in 65 games (making him the highest goalscorer in all competitions for any professional club that season), a goal every 1.4 matches"

from ronaldo's "wrapped up the campaign with a career-high 42 goals in all competitions, falling just four short of Denis Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Law)'s team-record mark of 46 in the 1963–64 season"

Dixie Dean's 60 apparently was just league games, taking everything else into account he got 67 that year, so I guess that shows the value of researching before typing.

still, I stand by my point.

Davenport
07-17-2009, 08:19 AM
seperated yes, but not ignored?

randomly without bothering to look things up, I could tell you that Cristiano Ronaldo scored 40 something goals on 07/08 season, why do I know that, becasue it's a stat that gets repeated a lot. In 1983/84 Ian Rush scored 48 or 49* goals in all competitions. couldn't tell you how many league goals he scored even thought hat was back in my liverpool supporting days, oh the shame. what is Dixie Dean most remembered for? scoring 60 goals in a season, I don't think i've ever seen that stat broken down into league goals and cup goals.

are you going to tell Pele or Romario that they didn't score 1000 goals because some of them were cup competitions?

*after looking it up, this is a direct quote from rush's wikipedia page "He scored 47 goals in 65 games (making him the highest goalscorer in all competitions for any professional club that season), a goal every 1.4 matches"

from ronaldo's "wrapped up the campaign with a career-high 42 goals in all competitions, falling just four short of Denis Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Law)'s team-record mark of 46 in the 1963–64 season"

Dixie Dean's 60 apparently was just league games, taking everything else into account he got 67 that year, so I guess that shows the value of researching before typing.

still, I stand by my point.

Of course not ignored. All goals are important. But league play has always been classed as the bread and butter and the yardstick to which performances are measured.
For example, in a season you could play 6 cup games against inferior opposition and score 8 goals. Another player could score 2 in a loss to a better team. Who's got the better scoring record ? It's not fair to compare the two.
Before the advent of squads and tactical substitutions all scoring records were more relevant.
I remember when, through fitness and selection, most players played in all of their team's games.
That's when you could really compare statistics.

TorontoBlades
07-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Talked to Chad Barrett at practice this morning. Here's what I wrote: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/07/16/sp-barrett-tofc.html (http://tinyurl.com/kwgbvr)

Cheers,
John Molinaro
Follow me on Twitter at
http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

Hell if I can follow Martin Havlat and Kim Kardashian - then I'm sure I can follow you as well :)