PDA

View Full Version : Ljungberg : European players interested in MLS

anto7
07-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Interesting article that suggests more top Euro players may be considering a move to the MLS.
Also I was amazed to read that Sounders have sold 65,000 tickets for the game against Chelsea this Saturday, incredible considering the game does not feature 2 top Euro teams as is the usual case.

Ljungberg: European players 'interested' in MLS
Seattle stars see Chelsea friendly as an opportunity for league to impress
07/15/2009 5:48 PM
By Andrew Winner / MLSnet.com Staff
All-Stars Keller, Ljungberg make Seattle shine Limited tickets remain for Sounders FC, Chelsea clash

Freddie Ljungberg said players abroad see the potential in American soccer.*(C. Trewin/Getty)

Beckham reaffirms commitment to MLS
United add Szetela via allocation draft
Ljungberg: Euro players 'interested' in MLS
Schelotto injury could hurt Columbus
More Headlines >
SEATTLE -- On first glance, Seattle Sounders FC's upcoming match against English giants Chelsea FC will be a chance for the Rave Green to see how they stack up against the world's best.
However, Seattle midfielder Freddie Ljungberg believes it is a two-way street. According to Ljungberg, Chelsea players will also be taking the measure of Major League Soccer.

According to the Swede, players in Europe have increasingly talked about moving their careers to the United States. With Kasey Keller, Ljungberg, David Beckham, and Brian McBride all moving from England to the United States in recent years, a solid showing on Saturday could convince some of the current Blues to make the same decision.

"I think if you're referring to the recruitment, a lot of players in England are discussing about the MLS and they're interested," Ljungberg said. "They want to make the league here better because we see the potential in America -- the population is so big and there are so many young players that play soccer."

In 10 days, Chelsea will play four games all across the United States, but Saturday's skirmish will be the only match against a Major League Soccer team. The Sounders FC organization is taking the match very seriously -- they have laid down grass over the artificial turf of Qwest Field for the first time this season and have also commissioned prominent local glass artist Dale Chihuly for a piece of art to present to the visitors.

The local fan base has also responded positively. With a full house expected -- approximately 65,500 of a possible 67,000 have already been sold -- goalkeeper Kasey Keller believes the fan support reflects positively on Major League Soccer.

"I think what's nice is for us to be able to put on a big show and showcase one of the MLS teams, not playing Celtic, not playing Manchester United, but playing an MLS team, getting a huge crowd and hopefully we can give them a good game," Keller said.

Keller said when big European clubs play international friendlies like this one, they are generally welcomed with an audience of their foreign-based supporters. And while a great many Chelsea fans will be in attendance on Saturday, he thinks Blues fans will be greatly outnumbered by Sounders FC fans.

"I think they'll be a little surprised on what our support is especially if we perform at the level that I know we're capable of doing," Keller said.

Seattle coach Sigi Schmid agreed, saying he believed that the "sea of green" greeting Chelsea could remind them of an away match in England. He also thinks the image of the energized crowd is something the visitors will take back with them to England.

"(The crowd) also helps in terms of leaving an impression of U.S. soccer on their minds and they spread that word then to the other European compatriots they have in their respective countries and their colleagues," Schmid said. "I think that's good for U.S. soccer."

So will Ljungberg, Keller, Beckham, and McBride be the precursors of a talent migration from England to the United States? It's possible, but Ljungberg quickly points out the impediments to this vision.

According to current Major League Soccer rules, each team can only field one or possibly two designated players -- making it difficult to woo a roster of players commanding the wages of a John Terry or a Frank Lampard. Whether those rules will be relaxed is up in the air, but Ljungberg says that when it comes to playing in the United States, European players "think about it."

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-16-2009, 01:08 PM
I honeslty think if the TFC REAL game was held at the DOME....and the game was a part of the season seat package as the Seattle chelsea game is!!!

we could of sold out the dome!

Antoshka
07-16-2009, 01:12 PM
seattle is such a great addition to this league. i hope the next few expansions will be just as good, and then maybe we can start weeding out the depressing stadiums.

Shaughno
07-16-2009, 01:13 PM
So I guess the Beckham Experiment actually did work... *gasp*

anto7
07-16-2009, 04:31 PM
I honeslty think if the TFC REAL game was held at the DOME....and the game was a part of the season seat package as the Seattle chelsea game is!!!

we could of sold out the dome!
Quite possibly, although I believe that Seattle have about 10,000 more season ticket holders than us so we would have to sell way more tickets to casual fans.

TFCREDNWHITE
07-17-2009, 10:54 PM
On one hand im happy for seattle and for the league.....but on the other hand, I HATE GREEN!! and I hate Ljungberg!! aaarrrrrrrhhhhggg. Those assholes beat us in our HOME OPENER!!