PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Blank May Not Front An Atlanta MLS Side

Redcoe15
07-15-2009, 07:08 PM
According to this blog in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2009/07/15/news-and-views-problems-with-blanks-wallet-seligs-brain/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog), Falcons owner Arthur Blank sold shares of his team to four minority owners. The writer suggests that the current state of the U.S. economy played a major role.

Blank seems to be focused on getting a new revenue controlled stadium for the Falcons to play in. It may hurt Atlanta's chances at an MLS team, as the writer alludes to, as Blank seemed to be the only one in that city expressing interest in a side.

Not something for the newly forming Brotherhood Of Southern Soccer (B.O.S.S.) (http://twitter.com/BOSS___), a supporters group aiming at beinging MLS soccer to Atlanta, to hear about.

Yohan
07-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Atlanta couldn't support an USL team.

what makes them think they could support an MLS team?

kodiakTFC
07-15-2009, 07:49 PM

Toronto and Seattle both had very poor USL attendance. I guess both of those cities couldn't support a MLS team right? Furthermore how many Lynx games did you go? I went to 0 Lynx games and about 20 TFC games.

rocker
07-15-2009, 07:50 PM
atlanta is one of the worst sports markets in America in terms of supporting teams.

kodiakTFC
07-15-2009, 07:57 PM
atlanta is one of the worst sports markets in America in terms of supporting teams.

NFL 23rd 64,065
NBA 20th 16,748
NHL 23rd 15,550
MLB 14th 28,337

I wouldn't say they are awful but they are certainly nothing special! Looking at the overall attendance stats the best untouched city would be Detroit.

boban
07-15-2009, 08:11 PM

Bet you were saying that about TO before 2005. ;)

Yohan
07-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Bet you were saying that about TO before 2005. ;)
I didn't know USL existed in Toronto back then ;)

drewski
07-15-2009, 08:28 PM
big cities typically have a mentally that if its not the top league, they don't care

uncle p
07-15-2009, 11:21 PM
As a born and raised Falcons fan i hope Blank doesnt pursue this. His focus should be solely on the dirty birds.

I've suffered enough from the Chris Miller to Chris Redman days, please dont add Matt Ryan to that list!! (and please dont even mention #7)

Ossington Mental Youth
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM
no big deal, no big loss
way better places outside of the south that are interested in cultivating and supporting the sport

Cashcleaner
07-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Atlanta is NFL football and professional baseball. Basketball is a distant third in terms of interest.

Any other sport would be fighting an uphill battle.

ForestGlade
07-16-2009, 06:36 AM
I wouldn't say they are awful but they are certainly nothing special! Looking at the overall attendance stats the best untouched city would be Detroit.

Don't tease me. I'm a Windsorite who would LOVE to see an MLS squad here, but it's just not happening. The corrupt city council already built stadia for the Tigers and Lions, and now the Red Wings are coming a knockin for a new rink

Although the old Tiger Stadium location would be sweet

rocker
07-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Atlanta is NFL football and professional baseball. .

but even with baseball, people in Atlanta didn't fill their stadium.
I remember playoff games not being sold out... and they had the greatest teams year after year.

I remember on Bobo McClown's show, they interviewed that Canadian baseball/basketball announcer Dan Schulman, and he agreed with McClown that even for good ol' American pro sports, Atlanta (and Miami) were the two worst sports markets in the US.

Redcoe15
07-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Don't tease me. I'm a Windsorite who would LOVE to see an MLS squad here, but it's just not happening. The corrupt city council already built stadia for the Tigers and Lions, and now the Red Wings are coming a knockin for a new rink

Would an SSS in the suburbs not work?

Detroit_TFC
07-16-2009, 10:49 AM

The owner of the PDL team here is shopping a deal to bring in USL-1 in next couple of years and, from there go for a MLS bid a few years after that. He's been talking to clubs in Portugal and England about affiliation/investment. Not surprisingly, he's having trouble attracting funding ITTET (in these troubled economic times).

Chewy Unikronik
07-16-2009, 10:50 AM
They don't need a side.

Detroit_TFC
07-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Would an SSS in the suburbs not work?

Here, yes. Although the downtown stadium cluster (Tigers, Lions stadia are right next to each other, Joe Louis Arena not far from there) has been pretty successful, so locating it there might utilize the existing infrastructure, parking, freeway access, etc. But without any meaningful mass transportation in the area, putting it in the burbs probably makes more sense.

mr k
07-16-2009, 11:49 AM
NFL 23rd 64,065
NBA 20th 16,748
NHL 23rd 15,550
MLB 14th 28,337

These stats are AWFUL - bottom quartile except in baseball. NHL team is also in financial difficulties.

Aren't people leaving Detroit? Until the auto industry issues are worked out and Detroit transitions itself, why face these headwinds in the mean time.

ilikemusic
07-16-2009, 11:55 AM
I sure as hell wouldnt put any of my money into an Atlanta MLS franchise.

Dub Narcotic
07-16-2009, 01:51 PM
It's already too hot to play in Dallas and Houston in the summer, forget Atlanta. Georgia only cares about SEC football.