PDA

View Full Version : How to make a stronger case on this board

jloome
07-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Hello all,
We're all full of shit sometimes. But often, when passion for football replaces rational discourse, chat boards like this devolve into a repeat of accusations or positions yelled shrilly at each other.

Thought some people might find the following link interesting, as it can be used as a blueprint for making a case on here. If you're argument or thesis can stand up to all of these challenges to its logic, it's well-worth making.

http://nobeliefs.com/fallacies.htm

Might be worth stickying, Mods

billyfly
07-15-2009, 02:02 PM
I call your BS JLOOME! :D

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 02:07 PM
think first, then read, then seach (at least back a day or two), then post your opinions in an already created thread, and then if there's nothing left, start a new topic.

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 02:09 PM
also, it's a very good read, but not really appropriate for this section.

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 02:14 PM
This is the most common around here: bandwagon fallacy: concluding that an idea has merit simply because many people believe it or practice it. (e.g., Most people believe in a god; therefore, it must prove true.) Simply because many people may believe something says nothing about the fact of that something. For example many people during the Black plague believed that demons caused disease. The number of believers say nothing at all about the cause of disease.

It's a groupthink mentality really...

nobodybeatsthewiz
07-15-2009, 02:19 PM
This is the most common around here: bandwagon fallacy: concluding that an idea has merit simply because many people believe it or practice it. (e.g., Most people believe in a god; therefore, it must prove true.) Simply because many people may believe something says nothing about the fact of that something. For example many people during the Black plague believed that demons caused disease. The number of believers say nothing at all about the cause of disease.

It's a groupthink mentality really...

the non-believers are subsequently told to "fukk off" or something of the like (see: something that would almost never be said face to face)

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Disagree. I think your groupthink is just the fallacy that pisses you off the most but I got one too-

argument from omniscience: (e.g., All people believe in something. Everyone knows that.) An arguer would need omniscience to know about everyone's beliefs or disbeliefs or about their knowledge. Beware of words like "all," "everyone," "everything," "absolute."

Doubt it? Anyone want to search...

"NEVER GONNA HAPPEN."?

:frown2:

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
the non-believers are subsequently told to "fukk off" or something of the like (see: something that would almost never be said face to face)

Exactly.

Items like: It's a 'job'/casuals vs. supporters/RPB doesn't market themselves... etc... There have been many over the last three years.

Afra
07-15-2009, 02:24 PM
jloome - I am offended by your statement. I would like to think that I am full of shit all of the time.

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Disagree. I think your groupthink is just the fallacy that pisses you off the most but I got one too-

argument from omniscience: (e.g., All people believe in something. Everyone knows that.) An arguer would need omniscience to know about everyone's beliefs or disbeliefs or about their knowledge. Beware of words like "all," "everyone," "everything," "absolute."

Doubt it? Anyone want to search...

"NEVER GONNA HAPPEN."?

:frown2:

Disagree. Your point nullifies your point.

flatpicker
07-15-2009, 02:27 PM
How to make a stronger case on this board?

we need bigger and better emoticons!

http://www.sevensheaven.nl/images/producten/illustration-illustratie_smiley-emoticon_04.jpg

ilikemusic
07-15-2009, 03:14 PM
I've got caps lock so im good.

zeelaw
07-15-2009, 03:17 PM
I took a class last year on all these things.

it was called "Reasoning for Weird Things"

good class

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 03:17 PM
wait...

you make a good point...... by using latin?

ensco
07-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum

jloome
07-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Oh god eugene, the horror, the horror... declensions in the future imperfect...