PDA

View Full Version : Beckham quote on his MLS future

kodiakTFC
07-15-2009, 01:13 AM
A new ESPN article spoke about Beckham's future in England and I couldn't help but notice this quote:

Beckham also stressed his desire to see out his five-year MLS contract.

"I intend to stay until the end of my contract and maybe further,'' he said. "I've always said that. I've always said, even when I went to Milan, that I'm committed to the Galaxy and to MLS, and that hasn't changed.''

He can't be serious? I would be damn impressed if he actually stayed and it would really show his desire to own a MLS team once he retires. Article posted below..

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=660694&sec=england&cc=5901

David Beckham: A return to England?

The former England captain is desperate to play at the World Cup in South Africa next year and knows he must return to Europe in January if he is to stay in the thoughts of coach Fabio Capello.

A return to AC Milan still seems to be the most likely outcome, although with Carlo Ancelotti now decamped to Chelsea there is an element of doubt.

Beckham had previously stated there was no chance of him playing for any other Premier League side than Manchester United.

The 34-year-old said: "I would definitely consider it. Never say never. When I left United, I said I would never want to play for another English club.

"My heart was in Manchester - and I couldn't see myself wearing another shirt in the Premiership and playing against United. Now I wouldn't rule it out.

"Obviously Milan expressed that they want me to go back, so I don't see any reason why that would change. We'll have to wait and see. I hope to be going back there.''

Beckham also insisted the row with Galaxy team-mate Landon Donovan is over. The pair had talks after Donovan criticised Beckham and his conduct since being signed by the MLS side two years ago.

"I'm not going to talk about what was said," he said. "That was between me, Landon and the manager but we had a good talk.''

Beckham also stressed his desire to see out his five-year MLS contract.

"I intend to stay until the end of my contract and maybe further,'' he said. "I've always said that. I've always said, even when I went to Milan, that I'm committed to the Galaxy and to MLS, and that hasn't changed.''

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2009, 07:41 AM

Wow he's always said he intends and maybe...

That's what I call commitment.:rolleyes:

rocker
07-15-2009, 07:52 AM
i wish I could say that to my girlfriend..

BABY, I'M SO COMMITTED TO YOU! BUT I HAVE TO SPEND THE NEXT 6 MONTHS WITH THIS OTHER GIRL. I'LL BE BACK THO!

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2009, 07:56 AM
BABY, I'M SO COMMITTED TO YOU! BUT I HAVE TO SPEND THE NEXT 6 MONTHS WITH THIS OTHER GIRL. I'LL BE BACK THO!

No. Just say you intend to maybe return. It's clearly working for golden balls.:D

Shakes McQueen
07-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Maybe he's hoping the Galaxy will be amiable to signing him to another deal, that lets him leave for the next season or two on another loan deal, and come back in July every year.

If his true intention for going to Milan has just been to assure himself a spot on the EMNT in South Africa in 2010, then perhaps signing another deal with L.A. makes sense to him.

I'd like to see him stay affiliated with MLS in some way. As much as the media circus gets annoying, he has a lot to offer as a player (if he tries), and as a future team owner.

- Scott

thisisinternetclash
07-15-2009, 02:14 PM
... EMNT ...

Oh, dear... Has it come to this?

Broadview
07-15-2009, 03:22 PM
After 2010 he might as well stay with MLS and rake in the dough. It's not like he's going to be in the 2014 WC.

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2009, 03:35 PM

hehehe

Which EMNT? The EMNST??

It's okay. It gives us a break from the soccer v football talk.

If one doesn't know what team I mean if I say "Canada" I'll explain my priorities. :canada:

Shakes McQueen
07-15-2009, 05:24 PM

I was feeling lazy, and decided to give it a try. :D

- Scott

Waggy
07-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Well he said basically the equiv stuff to Milan no? So hes clearly lying to someone

jabbronies
07-15-2009, 10:42 PM
I think he's committed to soccer in America, it just doesn't start at the MLS level for him. I think he is more concerned with the youth in the country who he can make a difference with.

He pretty much says that around the 4 minutue mark of the press conference.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-15-2009, 10:52 PM
id be impressed too but i dont see it happening

Damien
07-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Not to argue with anyone, he does have talent. But he turns the MLS into a bit of a freak show.

I'm glad he's brought attention to our league... but if he's gonna fuck off to europe and try to install his own coaches/gm's back here then he can fuck off, in my opinion.

I'm all for homegrown talent.

Canary Canuck
07-16-2009, 12:17 AM
The quote isn't that surprising when considering Beckham has kept his family in LA all this time and intends to stay in LA even after his career is over. He knows that at 34 (35 at next year's world cup) this is his last kick at the can. After that he'll come back to LA to rake in the cash. He knows it would be stupid to rip up a huge contract like that.

Don Julio
07-16-2009, 01:00 AM
It would be best if he fucked off. Not just for me, not just for TFC, but for the Galaxy. Being treated like the dirty mistress that you'll never leave your wife for because she gives you oral and you'd never let a woman you married do that to you is just embarrassing.

[NBF]
07-16-2009, 01:19 AM
WTF^^^^^^ Geezus Don Julio, if that's your real name.

I think the only reason he's going to europe is because he's not playing 10 months out of a year. But you never know how much Fabio Capello is pushing his hand in this situation, I think he stepped in as a coach and came in with a mandate to not allow the big english names walk right into the----> England National Team <----.

If anything his loan deal to Milan allows everyone in other countries, primarily in Central and South America, that playing in the MLS is a sort of Part-Time League.
Or a decent place to finish out your career once your Europe options are done.

rocker
07-16-2009, 09:47 AM
;624929']
I think the only reason he's going to europe is because he's not playing 10 months out of a year.

then he should have just stayed in Europe and never come to MLS.

jabbronies
07-16-2009, 10:01 AM
I dont think he expected the MLS freak show when he first signed up. I think that would be the leagues fault. As far as marketing, the MLS doesn't do things the right way IMO.

They try and ride off of individual players (Beckham, Donavan, Schellotto) and teams (Galaxy and Shite Bulls respectivly) rather than the league as a whole. They play favourites and that's why this whole Beckham thing has become a farse.

What they should've done when they brought him in and introduced the DP rule was to raise the cap as well, thus allowing teams to really build around of these star players instead of riding them for all thier worth.

ilikemusic
07-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Hes such a jackass.

I initially gave him the benefit of the doubt cause he comes across so well, but does he really think people are that stupid?

Hes so committed to MLS and the Galaxy that he missed the first half of the season. :rolleyes:

Dont piss on my shoe and tell me its raining.

Beckham is completely full of shit.

thisisinternetclash
07-16-2009, 03:24 PM
But you never know how much Fabio Capello is pushing his hand in this situation

In the quote today he actually explicitly said that Cappello has told him he needs to be playing in Europe prior to the World Cup.

prizby
07-16-2009, 03:28 PM
post WC 2010, i can see beckham becoming more and more committed, but right now he wants to go to SA

Davenport
07-16-2009, 04:28 PM
post WC 2010, i can see beckham becoming more and more committed, but right now he wants to go to SA

He should. The Salvation Army will save him.

Maybe.

Davenport
07-16-2009, 04:29 PM
In the quote today he actually explicitly said that Cappello has told him he needs to be playing in Europe prior to the World Cup.
My Dad says I can't play with you anymore.

What a big girl he is.

twistedchinaman
07-17-2009, 01:54 AM
I've always questioned the reasoning why he came in the first place. Sure there is the money, and I gave him that one shred of doubt. But when he started turning into a mole at the whack a mole games at the Stampede, well...it only shows how dedicated he was to this cause.

If he wants to come back, well he's already lost every last shred of cred he has with MLS supporters. How much more will he lose? Or willing to risk?

Fort York Redcoat
07-17-2009, 07:12 AM
I've always questioned the reasoning why he came in the first place. Sure there is the money, and I gave him that one shred of doubt. But when he started turning into a mole at the whack a mole games at the Stampede, well...it only shows how dedicated he was to this cause.

If he wants to come back, well he's already lost every last shred of cred he has with MLS supporters. How much more will he lose? Or willing to risk?

He's got a contract. I'm sure he just views as doing his time and honouring it. Half assed-ly.

TorontoBlades
07-17-2009, 08:47 PM
i wish I could say that to my girlfriend..

well, if you were one of the most celebrated shaggers in the world - and shagged some of the top chicks in the world. I'm sure your chances of pulling it off might be better :)

Roogsy
07-17-2009, 11:08 PM
^ This is true.

I have a friend who is a complete man-whore, and gets laid like I've never seen anyone collect P before. And all his girls know what an absolutely slutty douchebag he is and they STILL throw themselves at him.

Some guys just have it. Becky-boy is one of them. Lucky bastard.