PDA

View Full Version : How Many Goals Does Chad Barrett Have To Score...

prizby
07-14-2009, 11:22 PM
in order to keep himself protected on the TFC roster before the 2010 expansion draft?

discuss...

kitchener-TFC
07-14-2009, 11:27 PM
At least 10 this season, meaning 6 more goals from Chad. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

FluSH
07-14-2009, 11:29 PM

During the Miracle in Montreal game...

Yohan
07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
well, he's got 6 in all competitions this year so far.

so another 9 should do the trick? lol

if Philly wants to take on Barrett's 200k per year and 3 more years contract, I say let them have it.

Esp depending on how many players can TFC protect on expansion draft. I have a feeling we're going to end up leaving one or two really good players exposed anyways

Cashcleaner
07-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Actually, I had completely forgotten about the upcoming expansion draft. I really don't see any chance that he'll stay unprotected barring a miraculous turn-around.

prizby
07-15-2009, 12:49 AM
but we lose vitti and dichio at the end of the year

we will still have dero, gerba, obw, and ibrahim (who knows how much longer he'll take to develop...)

point being, we might have to keep him

2008 expansion draft

Teams will be allowed to protect 11 players from their 28-man rosters. Generation Addidas players are automatically protected, though players who are graduated from the program to the senior roster at the end of the 2008 season are not.
So that means:

Ibrahim, Barrett, Wynne (assuming they hasn't graduated), and Frei will be protected

from that what 11 do you select?

Cronin
Attakora
Garcia
Gerba
DeRo
Serioux
OBW
Robo
Guevara
Barrett (if protected, then Brian Edwards or new signing)
Brennan (drop him if Wynne is not protected?)

Unprotected:

Brian Edwards
possibly Brennan
any new signing
Velez
Dichio (retiring?)
and the developmental players (have to be senior players the following year if they get picked up):
Gala
Sanyang
Gomez

looking at this way, our roster sucks going into next year

kodiakTFC
07-15-2009, 01:15 AM
15 in all competition would be a great number for him to hit.

thisisinternetclash
07-15-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm not sure of the exact rule, but there must be some sort of stipulation that prohibits an expansion team from selecting more than one or two players from a particular club. It's not like all of those unprotected players are immediately write-offs. It actually wouldn't be a terrible strategy to leave Barrett unprotected, unless he has a peculiarly strong second half of the season, for the simple reason that it's very unlikely he'd be picked up. I'm turning the corner on Barrett, and he's quietly putting together a pretty reasonable season, but I think everybody involved in the decision would now admit that he was signed to a foolishly large contract by MLS standards. It's unlikely that an expansion team would want to inherit that. Leaving him exposed (though it would take some man management from Mo and/or the coach to convince him that the move wasn't a slight) would effectively guarantee that one fewer player had the potential to be snapped up for nothing by Philly.

EAsoccer
07-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Score every game here on out does it for me. So that's about 16-17 goals more.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-15-2009, 02:04 AM
god i fucking hate expansion drafts

Broadview
07-15-2009, 02:36 AM
I'm not sure of the exact rule, but there must be some sort of stipulation that prohibits an expansion team from selecting more than one or two players from a particular club.

The last couple times teams could only lose one player.

Yohan
07-15-2009, 03:29 AM
The last couple times teams could only lose one player.
up to two for 2011 most likely, when Vancouver and Portland joins

Shakes McQueen
07-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Ultimately just depends on how OBW and Gerba do. I think Barrett will likely be with us next season, even if it's just coming off the bench, or being part of a rotation.

He's no Kenny Cooper, but he runs himself into the ground for the club, and has started warming up a bit as a striker the past few games. And despite the length of the contract, his actual dollar figure is reasonable.

- Scott

Yohan
07-15-2009, 05:03 AM
And despite the length of the contract, his actual dollar figure is reasonable.

- Scott
Funny thing about MLS is that many of the starting striker's salary range from 50k to 350k.

However, 200k seems a little too much for Barrett. 125-150k seems more reasonable

brad
07-15-2009, 05:54 AM
He needs to continue scoring at a steady rate. It's great to get two against a shit side like SJ, lets see when the next ones come.

ensco
07-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Doesn't matter. He is what he is.

He converts a relatively low percentage of his chances, but he gives you just enough to wonder if he has more in him.

It happened in Chicago, it happened here, it'll happen for his next team.

jloome
07-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Doesn't matter. He is what he is.

He converts a relatively low percentage of his chances, but he gives you just enough to wonder if he has more in him.

It happened in Chicago, it happened here, it'll happen for his next team.

I'm inclined to agree, but strikers often improve in their late 20's, hit a peak around 27, 28, so he might settle some of those finishes a little more often, go from a 9-10 goal-a-season guy to 15. That's not a bad number (even if if it in all comps), it's just bad relative to his chances.

Kinda like Andy Cole at Man U. Had one of the worst finishing rates in the prem one season but was one of the top goal scorers, lol.

S_D
07-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Ibrahim, Barrett, Wynne (assuming they hasn't graduated), and Frei will be protected

Only Ibrahim and Frei are Generation Adidas according to the roster, so that makes things a bit more difficult in trying to figure out who to protect. We will have to wait and see how Gerba does too. If he tanks or is no better than Barrett is now, then I can see barrett being protected just because he is cheaper. Unfortunately as well I have a feeling salary cap and allocation $$ left will play a role in who is left unprotected.

Glad I am not Mo having to make the choices. I did a little mock protection list a while ago and man it was difficult lol.

My protected list:

Nana
Cronin
Dero
Wynne
Serioux
OBW (providing he has fully recovered)
Guevara (providing he is staying here)
Robbo (hard to decide of his contract would scare off other teams)
Ali G (or Barrett. He will have to do well to deserve being protected)
Garcia
Edwards (we need a backup gk unless there are plans to bring sutton back. if so replace with Jimmy B)

Gen Ad

Frei
Ibbi

I really struggled not protecting Jimmy B.

prizby
07-15-2009, 11:54 AM
i doubt teams will pick jimmy b, cuz he won't be motivated to try for them and he has a large salary that i don't think he is totally worth

TFC_Chris
07-15-2009, 12:09 PM
"Teams with 4 or more international players must protect 3 of them. If a team has 3 or fewer international players, then it must protect all but one."

So we must protect 3 of: Velez, Vitti, Dichio, Guevara, Sanyang, Gomez, Robinson (the others are GA and are protected; US players count as domestics)

Also, I know Dichio is retiring so he would be automatically removed.

My list of 11:
Frei (GA)
Ibbi (GA)
Dero (1)
Serioux (2)
Cronin (3)
Guevara (4)
Robbo (5)
Nana (6)
Vitti or OBW (7)
Wynne (8)
Barrett or Gerba (9)
Garcia (10)
Edwards (11)

EDIT: To answer the actual topic at hand, I would say Barrett needs to finish with 10 league goals and 15 goals in all competitions, provided he sees roughly the same amount of playing time as he does now.

Yohan
07-15-2009, 12:27 PM
why is Velez an international? Puero Ricans dont count as US domestic?

TFC USA
07-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Ummm....175. :D

prizby
07-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Vitti is on a 1 year loan, he'll be gone at the end of the season, and he is on loan and can't be taken on expansion

Puerto Rico is a fifa ranked team, so i think are a different country :S

Yohan
07-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Vitti is on a 1 year loan, he'll be gone at the end of the season, and he is on loan and can't be taken on expansion

Puerto Rico is a fifa ranked team, so i think are a different country :S
except their citizens have US ctizenship

if internationals with green card are considered domestics... PR = what the fuck? lol

prizby
07-15-2009, 03:10 PM
if he has his american citizenship, then american...cuz OBW counts as a canadian :)

zeelaw
07-15-2009, 03:14 PM

During the Miracle in Montreal game...
naw flush lol

zeelaw
07-15-2009, 03:15 PM
i doubt teams will pick jimmy b, cuz he won't be motivated to try for them and he has a large salary that i don't think he is totally worth
He would also count as an International spot right?
assuming he didnt go to vancouver