PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Window opens - July 15th, 2009

Nuvinho
07-14-2009, 02:53 PM
With all the MLS rules and redtape, the transfer window opens up for EVERYONE in MLS.

Who does Toronto FC get?

- Well we all know about Gerba

- I see Poz back here

- Maybe one more defender

- The offer extended to JDG, if he doesn't accept, I don't think we'll see a DP this year then.

Next big signing day: August 1st.....well not really a signing, but Sanyang will be offically with the team.

twistedchinaman
07-14-2009, 02:55 PM
+1 on the defender, that's for sure.

Ageroo
07-14-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm with you Nuvinho...I think if JDG declines the offer we will go another route for players. This is their big DP they want. I think they have put a lot of time and effort in trying to acquire his services. He is who they want and if he says no, I don't think a DP will be coming in the transfer window.

It seems like we have a lot of capable forwards right now and midfielders, but I think another defender is needed for depth.

Shway
07-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Sanyang seriously lol
we barely seen Gomez, havent seen Gala, and now theres Sanyang lol

Nuvinho
07-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Sanyang can play a few positions. I remember back in training camp, he played as a CB, a CDM, and also an AM.

flatpicker
07-14-2009, 03:02 PM
+1 on the defender, that's for sure.

what's the status on Michael Klukowski?
He's a defender for Club Brugge in Belgium and for the CMNT.

But I don't know where he is on his contract.
Normally I don't promote the idea of more CMNT players on TFC... but hopefully scheduling will start improving soon.

Shway
07-14-2009, 03:03 PM
WE NEED ACTUALLY WINGERS!!!!

to many AM, and CDMs

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-14-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree that we need a winger, or at least a offensive utility player (Dave Simpson?). I’m little surprised there’s been no news.

Yohan
07-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Sol Campbell anyone? His contract has expired and has yet to sign a new one with Portsmouth ;)

Ageroo
07-14-2009, 03:13 PM

Normally I don't promote the idea of more CMNT players on TFC... but hopefully scheduling will start improving soon.

I think he is a beast at LB.....but no chance in hell! I think we would be dreaming with that one...and I think the price tag would be too high anyway.

BayernTFC
07-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I agree that we need a winger, or at least a offensive utility player (Dave Simpson?). I’m little surprised there’s been no news.
I'm with you guys. I think that a true winger is just what the doctor ordered. Yohan posted a good idea in another thread. Why not Terry Cooke if he becomes expendable if/when Colorado signs Jamie Smith?:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15334

Yohan
07-14-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm with you guys. I think that a true winger is just what the doctor ordered. Yohan posted a good idea in another thread. Why not Terry Cooke if he becomes expendable if/when Colorado signs Jamie Smith?:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15334
While Cooke has a lot of upsides, he is going to turn 33 soon. Starting to slow down and lose pace. Also makes almost 200k per year, which is going to be an obscale for any team to pick up

flatpicker
07-14-2009, 03:36 PM
^ I hate those obscales!

Yohan
07-14-2009, 03:39 PM
^ I hate those obscales!
lol

having said that, I think Cooke will be a good pick up for the play off push, plus maybe next year.

however, I'd like to think there is a better, younger option for TFC... certainly for 200k per year salary

prizby
07-14-2009, 03:42 PM

he was intervied by the voyageurs after the first or second game, he still has 2 more years on his contract and wants to play with them this year since Club Brugge are in the UEFA CUP (he called it), now Europa League

flatpicker
07-14-2009, 03:49 PM
^
pfft... Europa League? They shouldn't have changed the name of the UEFA Cup... they should have scrapped the whole competition!

BayernTFC
07-14-2009, 03:59 PM
While Cooke has a lot of upsides, he is going to turn 33 soon. Starting to slow down and lose pace. Also makes almost 200k per year, which is going to be an obscale for any team to pick up
Do you know how much time he has left on his contract? I read that Cooke agreed to move the guarantee for his contract to September from July 1st upon request from Colorado.

Yohan
07-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Do you know how much time he has left on his contract? I read that Cooke agreed to move the guarantee for his contract to September from July 1st upon request from Colorado.
I'm not sure.

normally though, last year or two of MLS contracts are non guaranteed, so Cooke must be in his last year, or 2nd last year

BayernTFC
07-14-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure.

normally though, last year or two of MLS contracts are non guaranteed, so Cooke must be in his last year, or 2nd last year
Well, we wouldn't have to pay his whole salary for this season. We currently have some open spots on the roster, so it might be better than no move. He'd certainly have to be an upgrade from Ricketts or Johann Smith, no?

I'd like to think there is a better, younger option for TFC... certainly for 200k per year salary
I would hope so too. Wasn't Jamie Smith supposed to be that option for us?

Stryker
07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Sol Campbell anyone? His contract has expired and has yet to sign a new one with Portsmouth ;)

*drools

Opposing forwards would shit their pants looking at Campbell and Serioux in front of our goal. He'd be an amazing pick up.
IMO we need a top notch winger more though.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-14-2009, 04:26 PM
I wonder if they’re trialing anyone as we speak? I get the impression people traing / trial with TFC frequently and it goes completely under the radar.

Yohan
07-14-2009, 04:31 PM
I wonder if they’re trialing anyone as we speak? I get the impression people traing / trial with TFC frequently and it goes completely under the radar.
there should be an RPB correspondent at every TFC practice ;)

bangersandmash
07-14-2009, 04:45 PM
I know I'm clinically insane, but why are people looking to reinforce our back 4? With the rise of Nana-Attakora, the addition of Garcia and the sheer brutality of serioux, I think we have one of the better back fours in the league. It's certainly top-four. Its a sharp-edge up front that we should be seeking. Gerba goes a LONG way to solving this. Barrett's recent form (salt-lake excluded) is hopeful, but a striker who can create (instead of poach, a la Gerba) and finish chances should be TFCs priority.

Yohan
07-14-2009, 05:02 PM
I know I'm clinically insane, but why are people looking to reinforce our back 4? With the rise of Nana-Attakora, the addition of Garcia and the sheer brutality of serioux, I think we have one of the better back fours in the league. It's certainly top-four. Its a sharp-edge up front that we should be seeking. Gerba goes a LONG way to solving this. Barrett's recent form (salt-lake excluded) is hopeful, but a striker who can create (instead of poach, a la Gerba) and finish chances should be TFCs priority.
TFC needs a long term replacement for Brennan at LB.

Plus another CB would not hurt, esp one with pace since Serioux and Garcia aren't exactly fastest of defenders, and MLS have a lot of athletic and fast strikers who just can't finish consistently

Bobo
07-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Sanyang can play a few positions. I remember back in training camp, he played as a CB, a CDM, and also an AM.

Jack of all trades? Apparently an ace of none. I don't want a CB with attacking qualities. If he's being tested in a position like that, I'm expecting absolutely nothing from the kid.

cochrdoc
07-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Nana is playing very well,but Garcia and Brennan get undressed on a regular basis.Our goals against is one of the worst in the league.WE definately need help on defence and we don`t have any true wide mid field players.Still lot`s of room for improvement if we are going to make the play-offs and have a good run.Our play has been very inconsistant so we are not there yet.

Baggio2TFC
07-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Yeah, definetly D. For the playoff push, I would look to some of the lower teams in MLS to make a trade or 2 to get better on D.

As for JDG, if he does not sign this year(which I believe won't happen) I say scrap it and wait til next year to sign someone bigger.

Hopefully we will do well in CL and get our name out there in Europe to sign a bigger, better name(younger as well) as our DP. I want a DP as much as anyone else, but if the shoe doesn't fit.....Let's hope Mo gets on it as soon as possible and start talking to some agents to get TFC's name out there and get someone decent!

Nuvinho
07-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Looks like the NYRBs, DC United, and RSL will be active this window as well.

Shakes McQueen
07-15-2009, 08:15 AM
I wonder how Spurs fans would feel about Sol Campbell coming to TFC, haha.

- Scott

Nuvinho
07-15-2009, 08:16 AM

- Scott

It's Sol Goode!

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2009, 08:39 AM
^
pfft... Europa League? They shouldn't have changed the name of the UEFA Cup... they should have scrapped the whole competition!

Flats you're still on this? It's not Superliga. This tournament has supporters clamouring every year to attend away matches and although I'd agree with making it smaller, to do away with it would be really silly. The region is massive enough to support a second euro tourney. I think some people are swayed negatively by the lack of tv coverage compared to it's big brother but there are some great teams that match up and play some great football (I'll resist the temptation of an MLS quality comparison but I think you know how that'd end up).:)

Dalybro
07-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Not sure if this has already been posted already but Pavel Nedved's agent says he might be open to coming to MLS. Not sure what teams have contacted him though. Mo get this done.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/07/incoming-more-pavel-nedved-to-mls.html

flatpicker
07-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Flats you're still on this? ...

:D yeah... I hear yeah...

I just find it silly having two almost identical tournaments.
I would be in favour of scrapping the Superliga as well!

But whatever... My post probably made it sound like I care more than I actually do.

maninb
07-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Anbody who thinks an aging, injury prone player like Sol Campbell, who makes HUGE money in England would even consider coming here is dreaming....seriously...You migth as well ask for John Terry...

maninb
07-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Not sure if this has already been posted already but Pavel Nedved's agent says he might be open to coming to MLS. Not sure what teams have contacted him though. Mo get this done.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/07/incoming-more-pavel-nedved-to-mls.html

yeah that's what we need...a 37 year old injury prone striker who'd want HUGE money.....lol!

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2009, 09:06 AM
:D yeah... I hear yeah...

I just find it silly having two almost identical tournaments.
I would be in favour of scrapping the Superliga as well!

But whatever... My post probably made it sound like I care more than I actually do.

:facepalm: You're killing me.

They are similar in organization but two different levels mainly because one tournament couldn't supply the demand the region has for continental competition.*We're not there yet*

Superliga is almost a secondary tournament but the important difference is that is excludes all other countries in the region but MLS and Mexico AND the Mexican teams can opt out if they don't wanna play our reindeer games. Lame.

Enough of my derailing.

So who's moving this window?:D

Dalybro
07-15-2009, 09:07 AM
injury prone yes. Striker? no. He's a winger/attacking midfielder I thought he retired after this year so the report strikes me as odd.

Beach_Red
07-15-2009, 09:10 AM

I like the, "sign the best player available," tactic.

This is always a big discussion around draft time, do you take the best player available, or the best player at the position you need the most right now? But the team's needs will change (injury, etc.,) and the best payer is the safest bet. He can always be traded later.

Shakes McQueen
07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
If we can get JDG, all I would maybe hope for is maybe a solid LB to push Brennan.

Barring that, any defensive depth is a good thing. I'm hoping Gerba will be the solution to scoring up front.

- Scott

Darlofletch
07-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah, definetly D. For the playoff push, I would look to some of the lower teams in MLS to make a trade or 2 to get better on D.

As for JDG, if he does not sign this year(which I believe won't happen) I say scrap it and wait til next year to sign someone bigger.

Hopefully we will do well in CL and get our name out there in Europe to sign a bigger, better name(younger as well) as our DP. I want a DP as much as anyone else, but if the shoe doesn't fit.....Let's hope Mo gets on it as soon as possible and start talking to some agents to get TFC's name out there and get someone decent!

De guzman's already too big, good and young to want to come to tfc (hopefully he'll come but it's clearly not his first choice right now), and he's from here. No way in hell we're getting anyone who fits those 3 requirements to decide to come down to mls level.

Get In There
07-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Kick

Come on - give me something today.

ok, this week.

something

Mo?

You there

B

Nuvinho
07-15-2009, 11:19 AM
end of gold cup for JDG to decide as per Mo.

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/07/15/21336.aspx

Ossington Mental Youth
07-15-2009, 11:30 AM
cant say i blame him, still waiting for offers, one would assume there'd be some from the way hes played

Yohan
07-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Christian Vieri is only on a trial at Blackburn. If his trial there doesn't work out? lol

PJC
07-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I would like to see JDG play for TFC, but only time will tell. We definately need someone to replace Brennan down the road and I wouldn't mind seeing a new winger in the squad.

Yohan
07-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Well, we wouldn't have to pay his whole salary for this season. We currently have some open spots on the roster, so it might be better than no move. He'd certainly have to be an upgrade from Ricketts or Johann Smith, no?

in terms of consistency? yeah.

His contract is over at the end of this year, so he might be worth picking up as a short term option. (according to some Rapids supporters at BS)

Get In There
07-15-2009, 12:55 PM
end of gold cup for JDG to decide as per Mo.

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/07/15/21336.aspx

OK - Tks

no news is good news until the end of the gold cup.

Then it's shit or get off time for JDG

B

mmmikey
07-15-2009, 01:20 PM

- Scott

that would almost be as sickening as that rumour a few weeks ago that he might RETURN to spurs. how ridiculous of an idea..

he is getting offers. he will probably stay in the EPL, at worse the championship.

mmmikey
07-15-2009, 01:21 PM
injury prone yes. Striker? no. He's a winger/attacking midfielder I thought he retired after this year so the report strikes me as odd.

a lot of conflicting reports. he is mostly a spent force now, although he can still put in the odd great performance. i would grade him as a ljungberg level signing right now.

mmmikey
07-15-2009, 01:30 PM
midfielders: a change of pace winger for the end of games would be nice to have. but i don't think it should be high on our list as we don't play a 4-4-2, and our formation doesn't employ wingers at all. not unusual anymore, either. it would be cool though having a winger on the bench who can come in and wreak havoc with the change in tactics/pace like serginho did with milan (they haven't played with wingers for years, and still won't with leonardo in charge). once gerba comes in, i could see barrett doing a really good job at this kind of role off the bench although he wouldn't provide the width we need. he has his ups and downs, but he does work very hard.

strikers: none. gerba, white, vitti, dichio, barrett, ibby. that's a large percentage of our roster spent on strikers.

defenders: fullback. absolutely. love brennan, but he just doesn't have it at fb, he gets abused back there now. he looks better as a left sided mid imo. i've had nightmares since the weekend of brennan getting injured and serioux playing LB the rest of the way. *shudder*

BayernTFC
07-15-2009, 02:04 PM
in terms of consistency? yeah.

His contract is over at the end of this year, so he might be worth picking up as a short term option. (according to some Rapids supporters at BS)
Mo has made short-term moves before. Last September, Hunter Freeman was picked up from NYRB for the remainder of the season before he moved on to IK Start in Norway.

Apparently the Rapids have officially made their signings:

Rapids coach Gary Smith said newly signed French defender Julien Baudet will make his Rapids debut tonight. New signings Facundo Diz and Jamie Smith are not yet match fit.
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_12838571

I wonder who they dumped in order to make room???

TorontoBlades
07-15-2009, 02:08 PM
trade for Huckerby

Yohan
07-15-2009, 02:27 PM
trade for Huckerby
I'd like to see this, but Huckerby is 32, injury prone plus has a 350k per year contract

BayernTFC
07-15-2009, 02:38 PM
I'd like to see this, but Huckerby is 32, injury prone plus has a 350k per year contract
He also refused to play for us once already if I'm not mistaken.

Yohan
07-15-2009, 02:41 PM
He also refused to play for us once already if I'm not mistaken.
yep

things may changed now though

SJ is disfunctional, TFC has a good shot of making the playoffs. And apparently grass is coming soon ;)

BayernTFC
07-15-2009, 02:46 PM
And apparently grass is coming soon ;)
Well, it is...for the Real Madrid friendly. The question is whether it will stick around or make a quick comeback. I hope so.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-15-2009, 03:27 PM
It would be nice if TFC could sign someone in the near future that they could get run out in the River Plate match.

Darlofletch
07-15-2009, 04:15 PM
so.

still nothing?

Not even Pozniak?

is there a tumbleweed emoticon i can use here?

Stryker
07-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Theres only 3 strikers I'd bother persuing in MLS. Montero, Cooper and Rolfe.

Yohan
07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Theres only 3 strikers I'd bother persuing in MLS. Montero, Cooper and Rolfe.
no Emilio? Nate Jaqua? Brian Ching? Twellman?