PDA

View Full Version : Academy Team Not Acheiving Better Than Last Years Result

Shway
07-14-2009, 11:52 AM
So horrible that we didnt even hear about them being in the SUM-17 cup.
I was wondering about when that tournament was going to start, but then i realised that it was over when i went on D.C. United website, and realised that there boys had won it.

Here are the results:

Day 1
Toronto FC 2-3 Real Salt Lake: Toronto started the game strong notching the first two goals. Keith Makubuya (11th minute) and Eric Ngo (26th minute) were the goal scorers as Toronto looked to be on their way to victory. But the defending champs had other ideas. Real Salt Lake came firing back and scored three unanswered goals to prevail. Donny Toia scored in the 30th minute, Jared Hanze tallied in the 52nd, and James Rogers netted the game winner in the 62nd.

Day 2
Toronto FC 3-2 Columbus Crew: After scoring five goals yesterday, Columbus picked up right where they left off. It took just nine minutes for the Crew's Chris Davis to open the scoring and give the Crew a 1-0 lead, but Toronto fired back with three straight goals. In the 13th minute, Toronto's Matias Naalband equalized, while Jon-Michael Vieria (40th) and Eric Ngo (44th) combined to give Toronto a 3-1 lead. The Crew found the net just once more in the 80th minute when Tyler Ranalli scored, but it wouldn't prove to be enough for the Columbus.

Day 3
Colorado Rapids 2-1 Toronto FC: In the main stadium at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, the Rapids had a tough test facing Toronto FC. Toronto had played the better soccer up until this match, but no one told the Rapids that. In the 42nd minute, Eduardo Fuentes of the Rapids found the back of the net off of a great feed from Rapid's keeper Chris Couperus. Toronto was able to equalize in the 58th, but Luke Chapman of the Rapids scored in the 70th minute and gave the hosts a lead they wouldn't relinquish.

Day 4
Toronto FC 1-2 Chicago Fire: After a disappointing loss last night, Toronto looked to be out for redemption in the early going. Oscar Cordon scored in jus the 3rd minute and gave Toronto an early 1-0 lead. Just after the half Chicago was able to tie things up, which made for a very exciting finish. With the game still tied in stoppage time, Chicago found a game winning goal in the final moments from Peter Beasley.

TFC07
07-14-2009, 11:56 AM
This is a different team though. Last year's team now play in CSL.

EDIT: TFC Academy needs more than 2 teams. They need U-14, U-12 and U-10 teams as well if they want to be successful. You can't start developing and be successful by having players in your academy just for couple of years.

Shway
07-14-2009, 12:01 PM
EDIT: ^AGREED

yea but i know some of the players, and some of them are still 17
they couldve went Jonathan Lao to name one,
but TFC doesnt know how to be winners, ask D.C.
they brought some players from last year, and same with Real Salt Lake

AL-MO
07-14-2009, 12:10 PM

EDIT: TFC Academy needs more than 2 teams. They need U-14, U-12 and U-10 teams as well if they want to be successful. You can't start developing and be successful by having players in your academy just for couple of years.

I am not sure I would go as far down as U10, but U14 at minimum.

Shway
07-14-2009, 12:15 PM
it has to start young, theres a certain age where canadian players can be compared to european, coming from experience

it has to start at U-10 or U-12

but hey TFC doesnt want to produce its own product,

rocker
07-14-2009, 12:31 PM
TFC doesnt want to produce its own product,

if they don't want to produce their own product, why do they have academy teams at all?

second, winning at that age isn't everything.

TorontoBlades
07-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Give the academy time to build organically. If you watch the latest edition of TFC TV - you can hear Bent talk about how his academy team has gotten a lot of player from the younger squad - those are the signs we should be looking at. An infrastructure at the academy is the most important. Like rocker says - winning isn't everything at such a young age.

T_Mizz
07-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Agreed, development should be front and centre at this age and I think they're doing well for themselves, the U-16 team is leading the CSL reserve division and this year the U-18s are doing much better than last season.

Also its not that that TFC does't want to develop their own product but a this point its simply not a feasable option. The MLS rules regarding academies aren't setup to make the academy system into a useful means of acquiring players.

dclaro
07-14-2009, 01:29 PM
at least we beat columbus

Shway
07-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Somehow chivas got acquired two academy players ala Gerson , and Jorge.

T_Mizz
07-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Jorge Flores? He was acquired via reality show. Remember Sueno MLS he won

Shway
07-14-2009, 01:36 PM
As for winning is not everything at that age?
it definately is!
because if your winning that means you are improving.

All i was saying TFC shouldve strived for a better result from last year, thats showing improving.
Getting TFC to win trophies, gets TFC out their as a major club for the youth stages.

They couldve won if they included some of the players from the U-18 squad that were eligible to play, but i guess winning isnt everything tell Arsenal youth that.

Shway
07-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Jorge Flores? He was acquired via reality show. Remember Sueno MLS he won

he was a product of Chivas before the show

Yohan
07-14-2009, 01:41 PM
he was a product of Chivas before the show
he was signed to Chivas youth team after the show, and a call up to first team few months later

T_Mizz
07-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Well keep in mind that this was only TFC's second year wit an academy team, last year should be viewed as an anomoly as there's not possible way we could establish a successful youth academy in one year, give it time. Although I do understand that we should be instilling a winning mentality into our youth players so when they play first team football they know how to win and love doing it.

Shway
07-14-2009, 02:56 PM
well said,
last yeears team was the ontario provincial team lol,
so i agree
way to end of the post by saying that we should be instilling a winning mentality into our youth players so when they play first team football they know how to win and love doing it.

VITALLY IMPORTANT

remember guys winning isnt the everything, its the only thing!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-14-2009, 02:57 PM

Pretty sure an u-14 team is in place for next year........The academy started last year....patience people!:rolleyes:

Aroundtheworld
07-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Guys, remember a lot of the players on the successful U-16 team are now on the U-18 team. It's not surprising then that U-18s are doing better this year.

Red CB Toronto
07-14-2009, 10:12 PM
I have had the opportunity to see TFC-A twice this season and have been quite impressed with what I have seen, the game against Portugal FC last week was a big win for the boys.

Building an academy takes time and from my standpoint so far so good.

T_Mizz
07-14-2009, 10:41 PM
I have had the opportunity to see TFC-A twice this season and have been quite impressed with what I have seen, the game against Portugal FC last week was a big win for the boys.

Building an academy takes time and from my standpoint so far so good.
Well said CBlake you're quickly becoming an authority on all things TFC-A:scarf:

VPjr
07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
But what is the purpose of the TFC Academy if there is virtually 0% chance that any player in the Academy is going to graduate to the senior squad, even if he has the ability.

Right now, people should accept it for what it is...it's a marketing vehicle, its an opportunity for the bulk of the OSA All Star program to train and play together almost 12 months per year and its an extra, reasonably good, team for the CSL.

I saw the team play vs. St. Catherines Wolves on Sunday afternoon at Downsview (in fact, I've seen them 3 times this year) and they're ok, a little better than last year's squad. But I don't see any consistent sense of urgency from these young men like you would see in an Academy program in Europe or South America where the young lads have a realistic dream to jump from Academy to Reserves to Senior team if they work their tails off. TFC might try to say that Sanyang will make the jump from Academy to the Senior roster but that is semantics. He was brought in at 17 and could not sign with the Senior team.

IF MLS changes its rules governing Academies to reflect something like what Vancouver is doing with its Academy, then I'll take the program very seriously and it will change my opinion significantly about the league.

Cashcleaner
07-16-2009, 12:01 AM
So the TFC Academy team isn't doing so good, eh?

Hmmmmm....Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2003/02/15/international/15protest-london2.jpg

PROTEST!!!

James Oliphant
07-16-2009, 12:47 AM
:picard: