PDA

View Full Version : MLS Status Keys?

Duffman100
07-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey guys,

First post and got a typical newbie question.

What's with the status keys?
S = Senior
DL = Disabled List
I = International
DI = Developmental International
SD = Senior Developmental
GA = Generation Adidas
DP = Designated Player
SEI = Season Ending Injury
UDF = Unsigned Draft Pick
I get the obvious ones, but Senior, International, Development International, Senior Developmental, Generation Adidas (what the hell is that).

Sorry, I googled, and couldn't come up with the answer. Just starting to get into MLS, pretty awesome.

The Pope
07-14-2009, 11:11 AM
welcome to the board

check this thread...

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3237

I think that should answer some questions...but MLS can be tricky to figure out

Duffman100
07-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks man, what's generation adidas? Something to do with contracts?

grizzle
07-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks man, what's generation adidas? Something to do with contracts?

I am also a little confused on that one. This is what was on the MLS site:

Generation adidas players and Domestic and International underclassmen form part of a team's Developmental Roster. They are acquired by MLS teams through the SuperDraft, Lottery, Discovery or waiver system (see below) if they join the League after the SuperDraft.

For 2009, if a team has more than four (4) Generation adidas players on its Developmental Roster, then the additional Generation adidas players would be grandfathered and count against a team's 20-player Senior Roster (with no budget charge).

Duffman100
07-14-2009, 12:07 PM
So what does the developmental status mean?

Shway
07-14-2009, 12:18 PM
That you get paid a developmental status money, and you count towards the cap

Wooster_TFC
07-14-2009, 12:55 PM
That you get paid a developmental status money, and you count towards the cap

Basically a Gen Adidas player is simply a player that is sponsored by Adidas (effectively) so that they get paid more than a dev player would (I believe max for dev is 19.6k a year), but count as a dev player with respect to player limits.

It's very hazy which players are eligible to sign a Gen Ad contract in the first place, and even hazier when they are taken off.

For example, in his first year with TFC, Wynne was GA. He was no longer GA in his second year. Ibby on the other hand, was GA his first year, and still is GA. If you look at both Ibby's and Frei's contract status, they get paid much more than the 19.6k max developmental contract, but they count as dev players.

bdiddy
07-14-2009, 01:15 PM
For a second I thought this thread said MILF Status keys... intersting!