07-14-2009, 02:31 AM
Watched earlier... good video.

James Oliphant
07-14-2009, 03:11 AM
Permalink, because the one you refer to is already second on the playlist:

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=872

Brooker
07-14-2009, 03:23 AM
thanks for the link. with the lack of games i'd forgotten about tfc tv. lol.

ThunderTundra
07-14-2009, 08:28 AM
That was a great piece! It's really good to see TFC put stuff like that out, gave me goose bumps hearing the players and coaches talk about the sense of pride the badge gives them.

Thanks for the link!

Parkdale
07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
great shot of Barett scoring and kissing the crest!

I'm not sure if the guy who makes these videos reads the boards (looking at you Mr.C)
but this video gets a 5-star rating from me. I guess you have a little more time to get
creative and do pieces like this because there aren't a ton of games in the schedule.
Now we've got something to look forward to in the down time. Keep it up!

http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/oscar.jpg

SilverSamurai
07-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Well done.
I likey!
But you can see that the team is being set up to be something bigger than just another MLS team...

Parkdale
07-14-2009, 08:37 AM
side note:

funny they used the shot of Dichio kicking over the corner flag, which was on the 'protest day' when we didn't wear MLS gear.

Parkdale
07-14-2009, 08:38 AM
extra side note:

Flush, Carts, Warewolf and Yeoman all make an appearance. WITH ARGYLE!!!

flatpicker
07-14-2009, 08:46 AM
extra side note:

I noticed that... nice stuff!

Great vid!

One thing I will say, and I have noticed it several times in the past...
Cummins keeps mentioning "making the playoffs" as an objective...
But really, in this league, with it's level of parity,
should it not be the objective of every coach to Win The League?!

I just think it would be nice if coaches and players tried to get into that mindset...
It might help to give some more legitimacy to the season, and more respect for the Supporters' Shield winner.

rocker
07-14-2009, 08:47 AM
i just got chills

Parkdale
07-14-2009, 08:49 AM
One thing I will say, and I have noticed it several times in the past...
Cummins keeps mentioning "making the playoffs" as an objective...
But really, in this league, with it's level of parity,
should it not be the objective of every coach to Win The League?!

I've got an old saying....

It's better to under promise and over deliver,
than to set the bar higher than you can reach.

you can't win the playoffs without getting there,
so focus on the first goal, then everything after that is gravy.

English Rachel
07-14-2009, 08:57 AM
I kiss the badge all the time :) ALL THE TIME, people look at me like I am crazy but it's what I grew up doing to my SCFC and England Crests... Worse when I forget I have lipstick on but meh, whatever.

Edit: Just watched it. I am one big goosebump and I even shed a tear. fuck I am such a suck.

FluSH
07-14-2009, 09:00 AM
extra side note:

What?! was I drunk/??

Agyle and Flush don't mix... Like two **** and no **** you find yourself in serious ****!

Parkdale
07-14-2009, 09:06 AM
^ not on you, on yeoman.

too bad you can't get over your dislike of a simple pattern. it's just plaid, on an angle.

Hitcho
07-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Flats - I hear what you're saying on the ambition front, but in reality no team sets out saying "we're aiming to win the league" because even if you come so close as to lose by goal difference you set yourself up for a big fall. Besides which no-one really seems to value the SS in MLS as much as they do the MLS Cup (which is why our two tier system needs to be introduced asap of course), so really the goal is make the play offs to have a shot at the MLS Cup. That said, I do think teams could be saying things like "we want to finish as high up the play off places as possible to secure additional home advantage" or something, because that's an attainable goal but won't come back to bite you in the ass as hard as saying you're gonna win the league. It's probably something you're more likely to hear later in the season though, if and when a play off berth looks reasonably likely.

Also, the parity you mention is what makes shooting for the league title so hard, because everyone is in with a shout of knocking you down, not just two or three teams, so you could look really stupid. Look at KK and how they began their defence of the SS - the parity is actually what undermines all ambition in MLS to a certain extent.

flatpicker
07-14-2009, 09:09 AM
^ ok, makes sense... now let's start working on our proposal... ;)

Hitcho
07-14-2009, 09:11 AM
I kiss the badge all the time :) ALL THE TIME, people look at me like I am crazy but it's what I grew up doing to my SCFC and England Crests... Worse when I forget I have lipstick on but meh, whatever.

Edit: Just watched it. I am one big goosebump and I even shed a tear. fuck I am such a suck.

Stockport county? Stoke? Swansea (only because the initials match mind, I'd never have guessed welsh from meeting you - ha ha!)

Hitcho
07-14-2009, 09:15 AM
^ ok, makes sense... now let's start working on our proposal... ;)

Hah! I am so up for sending it to garber dude, seriously. I also think sticking your avatar on the front would lend serious credence to the whole thing. Mine would add some comedy, but probably get it thrown in the bin.

It would take some significant effort to get something put together in a credible format, but I'm up for it Flats, seriously. If we stick it on some forums and MLS footie sites for discussion as well then it may gather more momentum. Trouble is, there would be just as many people wanting to savage it as there would be supporting it, which is why (along with Garber's mindset) I don't think it would ever get off the ground.

Er, to give this post some thread related credence --> :scarf:

TorontoBlades
07-14-2009, 09:24 AM
The best part about that video was watching Cronin score his first goal again from a different angle. I noticed before that when he scored he ran right away for his college teamate, Edwards. But from this angle you can see Edwards running back at him from the bench. I think it's an awesome moment between two guys that have been friends from college days.

English Rachel
07-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Stockport county? Stoke? Swansea (only because the initials match mind, I'd never have guessed welsh from meeting you - ha ha!)

Stoke City :)

Cas87
07-14-2009, 09:33 AM
* slow clap *

Hitcho
07-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Stoke City :)

Ah man, I was sure you were going to say stockport county and you'd have been the first stockport fan I'd met. Bummer... :D:D:D

Plus Stockport is farther north, you don't have a midlands accent, what's that all about? :hide:

English Rachel
07-14-2009, 09:39 AM
* slow clap *

Are you heckling/insulting me?

Ah man, I was sure you were going to say stockport county and you'd have been the first stockport fan I'd met. Bummer... :D:D:D

Plus Stockport is farther north, you don't have a midlands accent, what's that all about? :hide:

I have been here 5 years, I think my accent is messed up. Did you think I was scouse?

Cas87
07-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Are you heckling/insulting me?

No I wasn't.

Was trying to applaud the piece. Sorry if there was a mis communication :o

English Rachel
07-14-2009, 09:51 AM
No I wasn't.

Was trying to applaud the piece. Sorry if there was a mis communication :o

Where I'm from, a slow clap is a major insult. Sorry too <3 :)

Redcoe15
07-14-2009, 10:27 AM
For some reason, my computer has been rather slow in downloading videos. I just keep getting buffering after buffering. :mad:

Carts
07-14-2009, 10:27 AM
I wasn't wearing argyle in the video - wearing my first year RPB scarf...

Flush gets the best fan shot of the bunch, full iso-shot leading the chants! Me & Yoeman get the good "bounce" shot near the end... :)

To the TFC TV Producers - that's a great feature, excellent pacing for the theme, and well shot of the jersey sketches, fans, and use of game action video...

Very nice feature... And thanks for putting me in - I haven't been living up to my 'Media Whore' name in recent weeks... LOL

Carts...

.J.B.
07-14-2009, 10:55 AM
wow!!! we all sat and watched a 6 min commercial for TFC gear... please (boo hoo hoo) buy the shirt (boo hoo hoo) its ... so.. special whaaaaaa!!! gimme a break! Or have we just run out of things to talk about... maybe they can do a special on why pizza pizza is so important... and the red pepperonies mean so much about Canada, and Jim Brennan eats pizza pizza (queue in lonely piano song), "Cummins has an english accent, lets listen to him talk about that cheese.. Cummins?" " Ya, I remember the first pizza pizza slice I had here at BMO field.... reminded me of a QPR game when I was a kid......." pleaes buy a slice "ALL FOR ONE!!".

Cas87
07-14-2009, 11:14 AM
wow!!! we all sat and watched a 6 min commercial for TFC gear... please (boo hoo hoo) buy the shirt (boo hoo hoo) its ... so.. special whaaaaaa!!! gimme a break! Or have we just run out of things to talk about... maybe they can do a special on why pizza pizza is so important... and the red pepperonies mean so much about Canada, and Jim Brennan eats pizza pizza (queue in lonely piano song), "Cummins has an english accent, lets listen to him talk about that cheese.. Cummins?" " Ya, I remember the first pizza pizza slice I had here at BMO field.... reminded me of a QPR game when I was a kid......." pleaes buy a slice "ALL FOR ONE!!".

Just don't get it...

It wasn't saying "BUY THIS SHIRT" it was the team talking about how they feel that with the shirt and the crest and the pride that has grown over the last three years it feels like we are a top football club. Comparable with some UK teams

MUFC_Niagara
07-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Football is the only sport in which the club badge purposely goes over the heart......it's there for a reason.

English Rachel
07-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Football is the only sport in which the club badge purposely goes over the heart......it's there for a reason.

Exactly.

Whoa JB, it must be really tough being so cynical all the time ;)

deltox
07-14-2009, 12:20 PM
PAUL WINSPER - "We always wore our shirt to the game"

i think we still have a way to go.

H Bomb
07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Cant wait til a few years from now when we win something and we can get something less fluffy. Dont get me wrong, I want to the players to have passion and the like....but this is fluff to justify keeping the AV guys on salary

AL-MO
07-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Nice footage of the bounce, 110 Banner, Flags @ the MTL game, and FluSH!!

AL-MO
07-14-2009, 12:26 PM
side note:

funny they used the shot of Dichio kicking over the corner flag, which was on the 'protest day' when we didn't wear MLS gear.

Naw that was the game before the footage shown. Notice the 111 banner behind him. We didn't have anything up at all the game you are referring to.

canadian_bhoy
07-14-2009, 08:56 PM
LOL - great video on the importance of the club colours and badge.

Oh and don't forget to buy your pink jersey!

FluSH
07-14-2009, 11:12 PM
That was pretty good... some good shots... I would love to get a cap still of the sewing machine and the Jersey as a photo.

kitchener-TFC
07-14-2009, 11:19 PM
I got goosebumps watching it. Jimmy B and Paul Winsper really emphasized the importance of a club, and its colours. DeRo was also pretty passionate.

Roogsy
07-15-2009, 12:00 AM
To me...TFC is a massive part of building the game in Canada and watching and hearing guys like Jimmy and DeRo talk about how they feel about playing in their country and for their country...well...it gave me goosebumps.

Cashcleaner
07-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Great video. Toronto FC and its fans are unlike anything else in the city. I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I can't think of any other team in town that has so many fans sporting the colours of the team as we do. You always know when there is a game on at BMO Field because there is quite literally a moving carpet of red that descends on the stadium. Is actually quite cool to watch and see from a distance when we all sorta stream together from different directions into one big noisy mass.

olegunnar
07-15-2009, 07:00 AM
When did they see the light?
Seems to me like something happened to educate them ( merch sales on the decline? someone who understands the importance of the badge treating them to a lesson??) , because up until this video they had absolutely no respect for the badge.
They covered it with fast food, they made a pink one (nothing wrong with pink, it's just not a colour in our crest/on the badge) they let BMO have ads with the shirt desecrated and the sleeves cut off. That's not even mentioning how they put short term gain ahead of the good of the team/badge..that's a whole other story
But that's okay...tfc tv is kewl!
http://fc.dallas.mlsnet.com/images/2008/04/14/W7VdFMZc.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourbeststuff/millerprideyeamanED.jpg

http://www4.bmo.com/vgn/bmosoccer/en/images/1024x768_drummer_boy.jpg

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2009, 07:21 AM

Seems to me like something happened to educate them ( merch sales on the decline? someone who understands the importance of the badge treating them to a lesson??) , because up until this video they had absolutely no respect for the badge.
They covered it with fast food, they made a pink one (nothing wrong with pink, it's just not a colour in our crest/on the badge) they let BMO have ads with the shirt desecrated and the sleeves cut off. That's not even mentioning how they put short term gain ahead of the good of the team/badge..that's a whole other story

HAHAHAHAHA!!

I'm gonna stand up and be the first to protest this TFC show and only watch all the other TFC shows. Then I'm gonna protest every team that has adverts on their front. Then I'm gonna protest all the teams that have more then 2 versions of their kit.

Sarcasm rules!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah it was an obvious heartstring pull for the rabid supporter but I didn't expect a minute by minute of the JDG negotiations. Besides, until we can enjoy a little competition with TFC coverage beyond matches we'll have to deal with news the club is comfortable releasing themselves.

FluSH
07-15-2009, 07:41 AM
http://fc.dallas.mlsnet.com/images/2008/04/14/W7VdFMZc.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourbeststuff/millerprideyeamanED.jpg

http://www4.bmo.com/vgn/bmosoccer/en/images/1024x768_drummer_boy.jpg

You do live in North America right?

Shakes McQueen
07-15-2009, 07:42 AM

Oh come on, it's no worse than "desecrating" your teams sacred shirt, by selling ad space on it, which is common these days. Is taking a picture of a TFC shirt with a hot dog on it, any worse than a TFC kit with a McDonald's logo permanently sewn on to it, if we are talking in terms of treating the kit with supreme reverence and respect?

If they ever start burning the crest itself in commercials, or putting a pink version of the badge on the pink shirts, maybe I will stand up and notice, but I really think you and JB are making a lot out of nothing here.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
07-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Yeah it was an obvious heartstring pull for the rabid supporter but I didn't expect a minute by minute of the JDG negotiations. Besides, until we can enjoy a little competition with TFC coverage beyond matches we'll have to deal with news the club is comfortable releasing themselves.

Exactly - it was a reasonably entertaining fluff piece, talking about the importance of the crest. Take it for what it is. I'm actually amazed people found a reason to get cynical about this. It's so completely harmless.

- Scott

Eastend
07-15-2009, 07:49 AM
I wasn't wearing argyle in the video - wearing my first year RPB scarf...

Flush gets the best fan shot of the bunch, full iso-shot leading the chants! Me & Yoeman get the good "bounce" shot near the end... :)

To the TFC TV Producers - that's a great feature, excellent pacing for the theme, and well shot of the jersey sketches, fans, and use of game action video...

Very nice feature... And thanks for putting me in - I haven't been living up to my 'Media Whore' name in recent weeks... LOL

Carts...

That's only because we haven't had a home game in a while.

Oldtimer
07-15-2009, 08:49 AM
TFC TV runs various things from time-to-time explaining football culture.
I see nothing wrong with this.

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 08:56 AM
....but this is fluff to justify keeping the AV guys on salary

but at the same time, the AV guys get to be a little more creative when they aren't just going for 'news' style coverage. Pieces like this just show me that they want to do more than just cover the game highlights. leave that for the real news networks.

Carts
07-15-2009, 09:14 AM
That's only because we haven't had a home game in a while.

Dom, I'd like to say some great comeback but all I can come back with is.... you're right :( LOL

See you Saturday???

As for people being bitter, pissed, etc at the story - ah forget it, they'll be pissed, bitter etc at whatever my opinion is - why bother... :D

Carts...

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 09:17 AM
As for people being bitter, pissed, etc at the story - ah forget it, they'll be pissed, bitter etc at whatever my opinion is - why bother... :D

remember when we won the Voyagers cup and people complained that the 'cup presentation' wasn't good enough?

haha... people will whine about anything and everything.

Carts
07-15-2009, 09:19 AM
but at the same time, the AV guys get to be a little more creative when they aren't just going for 'news' style coverage. Pieces like this just show me that they want to do more than just cover the game highlights. leave that for the real news networks.

Well said...

The guys stepped outside the "heres who scored, who won, how the acedemy did" etc...

And in all honesty, from a guy who is a producer for a fairly successful all sports TV network - they did a damn nice job! Its only running online but has the quality to run on any of Canada's sports programs...

Carts...

.J.B.
07-15-2009, 09:31 AM

I hate your opinion!!!

BTW, here is the heart
http://www.bem.fi/book/06/fi/0601.gif
Tthe crest does not lie over the heart, however advertisments do.

Carts
07-15-2009, 09:35 AM
I hate your opinion!!!

BTW, here is the heart

I figured you would - bitter people usually hate everything...

Hockey crests cover alot of the liver - I guess that's why we drank so much in Jr... :drinking: Ah the memories...

Carts...

.J.B.
07-15-2009, 09:43 AM

I guess Rugby is not a sport (that is to say if the heart was actually under the left shoulder) and I guess that handball and auto racing crests don't go under the shoulder as well. oh, you certainly won't find crests under the shoulder of a cricket player too.

Carter
07-15-2009, 09:44 AM
BTW, here is the heart

If you do notice that the heart is up between the 2 and 3 rib, which is where the crest lies on the jersey. But really whos looking.

.J.B.
07-15-2009, 09:46 AM
I figured you would - bitter people usually hate everything...

Hockey crests cover alot of the liver - I guess that's why we drank so much in Jr... :drinking: Ah the memories...

Carts...

I hate livers too!!

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2009, 09:48 AM
I hate your opinion!!!

BTW, here is the heart

So you want the ads removed and the crest down...and to the left?

cool.

MisterMacphisto
07-15-2009, 10:00 AM
haha... people will whine about anything and everything.

And some people will lap up anything.

I'm amazed that more people don't see this for what it is... A 6 minute infomercial selling jerseys, especially coming up on a day they've known about for awhile where they can't sell booze.

Don't get me wrong, the comments by the players are genuine, which is cool. Of course they get it, and of course supporters (should) know the importance of the crest and colours.

But for TFC FO to come out with a video preaching the importance of the crest and colours in light of how they have treated it in the past? They have just recently been called out for their treatment for the crest and colours and now suddenly there is a video by them on the importance? Complete with prop sewing machine, and scissors fine tailoring the shirt which looks like it was all filmed in the BMO filed storage room.

It's not whining, it's called not being blind. In the grand scheme of thing, its not that big of a deal, as anyone can expect MLSE to try to sell more Jersey's, which is what this video is. Just a bit of an epic :facepalm: to hear TFC FO coming out with the video on the importance of the colours and crest when they have just been recently schooled themselves and using that message to sell Jerseys.

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 10:06 AM
They have just recently been called out for their treatment for the crest and colours and now suddenly there is a video by them on the importance?

Just a bit of an epic :facepalm: to hear TFC FO coming out with the video on the importance of the colours and crest when they have just been recently schooled themselves and using that message to sell Jerseys.

how so?

the mild backlash from some supporters over the pink jerseys?
Is there some other incident where MLSE / FO abused the crest
and got 'called out for it' that I'm not aware of?

the pink jersey day was a blip on the radar.

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 10:11 AM
oh, and ever suppose that just maybe...

this is their reaction to our 'day of protest without jerseys'?
Hell, winsper's comments are practically scripted to make us feel guilty
about taking off the kit for that day. yes, it is also a tool to sell more
jerseys to people that don't have them already, but it's deeper than that.

TFC Tifoso
07-15-2009, 10:20 AM

I hardly think FO need to remind or demonstrate to us about 'passion'.....in fact I'd feel quite insulted if that was the objective of it, especially considering all the time, money, and effort we put into things like tifos.....

for some, I guess this video just came at bad timing considering the pink jersey situation and the fact that some might see this as FO's way of pushing merch on a week where there will be no beer sales....

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 10:28 AM
for some, I guess this video just came at bad timing considering the pink jersey situation and the fact that some might see this as FO's way of pushing merch on a week where there will be no beer sales....

again, the pink jersey thing was a blib on the radar.
it was a one-time event on a game we won, where money was raised for charity.
some people got bent out of shape over it, but a very small minority.

and the idea that the FO is going to try to push merchandise sales
to make up for lost alcohol revenue is just too far a stretch.
they are ALWAYS trying to sell merch, and saying it's being
used to make up for another shortcoming in unrelated sales is bizarre.

English Rachel
07-15-2009, 10:31 AM
I agree with Parky for what it's worth.

I am all for the conspiracy theories but sometimes it's just too much. Like now.

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
^^ridiculous.

radar has BLIPS not blibs.

that is the end of it.

Carts
07-15-2009, 10:33 AM

Aren't we wearing them again when we play San Jose...?

I thought I saw Paul post that... Or I was drunk when I thought I saw that :drinking:which could very well be the case :D

Carts...

TFC Tifoso
07-15-2009, 10:37 AM

well the pinks will be worn one more time this year (v SJ I believe) and they will be on sale throughout the season, but its probably the 10% thing more than anything else that rubbed people the wrong way.

eh, its all a matter of opinion, I guess.....I'm not looking for bad in everything the FO does, but at the same time, maybe more should be read into what they do as opposed to just taking it for face sometimes.

English Rachel
07-15-2009, 10:37 AM
^^ridiculous.

radar has BLIPS not blibs.

that is the end of it.

Lol

http://www.agrandillusion.com/uploaded_images/GrammarPolice-799780.gif

MisterMacphisto
07-15-2009, 10:39 AM
For some, I guess this video just came at bad timing considering the pink jersey situation and the fact that some might see this as FO's way of pushing merch on a week where there will be no beer sales....

If the video was just a piece with the players and coaches talking about the importance of the badge and colours, it'd be a neat video.

But:
- The fact FO has just recently been told about the importance of the crest and colours
- Prop sewing machine and scissor fine tailoring bit in BMO storage room complete with well stocked shots of the merchadise room.
- No beer sales coming up.
- Big Real Madrid game coming up.

You don't have to be genius, you just don't have to have blinders on.

Again, no surprise or real foul for MLSE trying to sell Jersey's, just a big :facepalm: from me is all.

MUFC_Niagara
07-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Wow....what the fuck is wrong with you people. Conspiracy theory to sell shirts.....seriously.....people on here never cease to amaze me.

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 10:50 AM
But:
- The fact FO has just recently been told about the importance of the crest and colours
- Prop sewing machine and scissor fine tailoring bit in BMO storage room complete with well stocked shots of the merchadise room.

XXXXXXXXX__logical connection ends here__XXXXXXXXXXXXxx

- No beer sales coming up.
- Big Real Madrid game coming up.

You don't have to be genius, you just don't have to have blinders on.

there's a big gap in the logical connection there.
yes they are trying to sell jerseys (like always),
but I just can't see that video (that only current fans bother to watch)
being used to somehow bridge the gap into the beer-ban and the RM game.

it's like this....

step 1 - make a video
step 2 ________________
step 3 - profit

^ we're missing a big number two*

*yes, kevv is out there making a joke right now.

and also, when was 'the FO has been told about the important of the crest and colours'?

didn't they design the crest back in 2006? Didn't they pick the colours?

.J.B.
07-15-2009, 10:52 AM

Hahahahahahah THAT is a good one..... ya! They are crying because of you... this is TFC outreaching a hand to YOU... "err, guys, I'm not sure if you noticed this at the last game, but that funy looking guy in the 17th row in the South-East Corner? Ya? well he didn't wear his jersy to the last game!!" (astonished board) "Gasp!!! Whatever will we do?" Board Chair, "Lets make a 6 min video apology to that guy who didnt wear his shirt"...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Shakes McQueen
07-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Wow....what the fuck is wrong with you people. Conspiracy theory to sell shirts.....seriously.....people on here never cease to amaze me.

Yeah, this really is pretty stunning. Even by the usual standards.

- Scott

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Hahahahahahah THAT is a good one..... ya! They are crying because of you... this is TFC outreaching a hand to YOU... "err, guys, I'm not sure if you noticed this at the last game, but that funy looking guy in the 17th row in the South-East Corner? Ya? well he didn't wear his jersy to the last game!!" (astonished board) "Gasp!!! Whatever will we do?" Board Chair, "Lets make a 6 min video apology to that guy who didnt wear his shirt"...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

they (the FO) were on the board and did know that all the supporters groups were telling there members to not wear a TFC jersey to the game. Sure it wasn't that big a percentage of the stadium, but it was hundreds of the most vocal supporters.

in fact, the TFC FO and the heads of the supporters groups even had a meeting prior to the match, where they heard what the SG's were feeling.

maybe you missed that who part. It's not just for one funnylooking guy in the 17th row.

.J.B.
07-15-2009, 11:07 AM
they (the FO)

in fact, the TFC FO and the heads of the supporters groups even had a meeting prior to the match, where they heard what the SG's were feeling.

Was it a pizza lunch?? were you happy to meet the accounting department? did they make little balloon hats for you in red and white? was it the heads of the 5 families in attendance? Ohhhhhh did you talk strategy and marketing and brand development? or did they tell you to BUY THE SHIRT JACKASS????

ahhahahahahahahaha

Carts
07-15-2009, 11:07 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Actually the team, and the league takes notice, in a big way, about what supporters groups, and what we have done in the past...

Further to the FO knowing about our protest this year - the All-Star game protest of last year, (wearing black etc) was not only known by TFC, but the news made it all the way to Don Garber himself...

I personally asked Garber the question about the protest at the 'State of the League' media conference, in which he answered that he was "...well aware of what the Toronto supporters were doing..." went on to say that we were "...the best supporters in the league..." and this was another example of "...how passionate they are, and what affect they could have..."

He then had a private conversation with me after the presser, in which we spoke at length about the impact supporters have on the league... I asked him how he knew, was he told by Toronto FC etc - and he answer very candidly that they 'keep tabs' on all the groups to get a feel for how things are going etc...

So, they do notice...

Carts...

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 11:08 AM
So, they do notice...

Carts...

and then we get a pizza party.

Carts
07-15-2009, 11:11 AM
and then we get a pizza party.

The all-star game media conference meeting had a nice catored meal from the Liberty Grande... Steak, Chicken, Prime Rib, salads, deserts...

and................ free booze! :drinking: (after the media conference!)

Carts...

H Bomb
07-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Exactly - it was a reasonably entertaining fluff piece, talking about the importance of the crest. Take it for what it is. I'm actually amazed people found a reason to get cynical about this. It's so completely pointless.

- Scott

Fixed! :D

i'm not angry/bitter about it....havent read anything that seems like anyone is angry/bitter about it. What I want to know is why we have a thread on Soccer Supporters Group website talking about how important the badge is. We know. And in truth we're above this kind of fluff. The FO has been sucking our dicks since Real in an attempt to calm us down and the majority have fallen perfectly in line (see any JDG thread for proof)

Maybe tomorrow they'll have one about how great the fans are, bet we'd love that. :drinking:

.J.B.
07-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Actually the team, and the league takes notice, in a big way, about what supporters groups, and what we have done in the past... Marketing concerns of course

Further to the FO knowing about our protest this year - the All-Star game protest of last year, (wearing black etc) was not only known by TFC, but the news made it all the way to Don Garber himself... he also read about the cat that was up some lady's tree in the daily, point is?

I personally asked Garber the question about the protest at the 'State of the League' media conference, in which he answered that he was "...well aware of what the Toronto supporters were doing..." went on to say that we were "...the best supporters in the league..." and this was another example of "...how passionate they are, and what affect they could have..." Ever seen a Live Show in any city? ALRIGHT TORONTO!! WE LOVE YOU TORONTO... next night ... ALRIGHT CLEVELAND!! WE LOVE YOU... same thing

He then had a private conversation with me after the presser, in which we spoke at length about the impact supporters have on the league... I asked him how he knew, was he told by Toronto FC etc - and he answer very candidly that they 'keep tabs' on all the groups to get a feel for how things are going etc... Again, sharpening thier Marketing Campaigns

So, they do notice...

Carts...

Answers in RED

.J.B.
07-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Fixed! :D

i'm not angry/bitter about it....havent read anything that seems like anyone is angry/bitter about it. What I want to know is why we have a thread on Soccer Supporters Group website talking about how important the badge is. We know. And in truth we'er above this kind of fluff. The FO has been sucking our dicks since Real in an attempt to calm us down and the majority have fallen perfectly in line |(see any JDG thread for proof)

Maybe tomorrow they'll have one about how great the fans are, bet we'd love that. :drinking:

I love you H!!! Seee... I'm not just a hater

Carts
07-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Answers in RED

:lol: Epic Fail.

Yohan
07-15-2009, 11:17 AM
I hardly think FO need to remind or demonstrate to us about 'passion'.....in fact I'd feel quite insulted if that was the objective of it, especially considering all the time, money, and effort we put into things like tifos.....

I also had a feeling that this segment was not geared towards us, but North American soccer n00bs who don't know anything about football culture.

Targeting the new fans oF Toronto FC

dupont
07-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Answers in RED

Even if you are right about everything you are saying in this thread, it begs the question "who the hell cares?!". It's not a big deal! Just a 5 minute video that is interviewing players about the team and probably trying to sell jerseys. So what?

Phil
07-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I also had a feeling that this segment was not geared towards us, but North American soccer n00bs who don't know anything about football culture.

I got that feeling as well. I guess we can't recognize that type of stuff and god forbid we have any discussion about it.

Lets get back to Barrett kissing the badge and hating him for it.

.J.B.
07-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Even if you are right about everything you are saying in this thread, it begs the question "who the hell cares?!". It's not a big deal! Just a 5 minute video that is interviewing players about the team and probably trying to sell jerseys. So what?

Alright funny guy!! Go and introduce logic into this forum... Guess we'll have to pack 'er up!

H Bomb
07-15-2009, 11:22 AM

We're above it. Falling into their plans and being pretty lame while we're at it. Can we not hold ourselves to a higher standard that doesnt include cookie cutter love messages and the like. Why cant we simply support our team....just support...none of the boring useless junk that surrounds it. I know I'm not the demagraphic.....but I honestly just dont understand.

TFC Tifoso
07-15-2009, 11:28 AM

fair enough......but chances are (I'm almost certain) that the n00bs don't have the first friggin clue what TFC TV is or where to find it.

Although, if that was the point of it, a piece like this would've gone well with a pregame production, say before Saturday's game...like this it is kinda like preaching to the choir (at best) and at worst, well we've read here what some think of it.

.J.B.
07-15-2009, 11:28 AM
The all-star game media conference meeting had a nice catored meal from the Liberty Grande... Steak, Chicken, Prime Rib, salads, deserts...

and................ free booze! :drinking: (after the media conference!)

Carts...

and to this!! are you certain that you weren't crashing someone's wedding and the guys in MLSE shipping and receiving weren't messing with you? sounds like one of those cheesy wedding dinners... and I guess you bit too? man-o-man, you guys are just so blind... Free dinner, Free booze and you didn't even get laid!

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Why cant we simply support our team....just support...none of the boring useless junk that surrounds it. I know I'm not the demagraphic.....but I honestly just dont understand.

we've all known that TFC TV isn't geared towards us since it started.
it's geared towards people who go to games, love the team, but don't
actually call themselves 'supporters'. Hell... look at CV2. It's for kids.

this video, which I really like, shows that they are trying to mature
their content a little bit. It's not kids time anymore, it's growing up.

some people see that as just another way to sell us things,
but then again.... that's business. They wouldn't be doing ANYTHING
like TFC TV or even their main website if it didn't all relate back to sales.

they are a company, and that wont ever change, but not everything
they do is a dumbed down commercial. Some things, like this video,
are actually pretty cool, and produced because the people making it
actually like what they are doing.

TFC Tifoso
07-15-2009, 11:30 AM
and to this!! are you certain that you weren't crashing someone's wedding and the guys in MLSE shipping and receiving weren't messing with you? sounds like one of those cheesy wedding dinners... and I guess you bit too? man-o-man, you guys are just so blind... Free dinner, Free booze and you didn't even get laid!

well, they have fucked us a few times this year already.....

.J.B.
07-15-2009, 11:31 AM
well, they have fucked us a few times this year already.....

touche

Darlofletch
07-15-2009, 11:31 AM
After watching this i was a bit disappointed really.

it wasn't about passion for the badge, it was about passion for the badge, and for the canada flag on the arm, and the maple leaf on the front, and the all for one on the collar, and how real fans always wear the shirt to the game (unspoken subtext, if you're a real fan you buy and wear the shirt).

I was debating getting a shirt this year, as I thought the first one was really quite ugly. I was even prepared to overlook the big fucking bmo ad on the front (that's one area i wish we'd gone the north american route instead of the football in the rest of the world route).

At first glance this years shirt is ok, but it was the maple leaf on the front and the all for one on the collar that turned me off. Fuck, we know it's a canadian team, if we don't know that, there's a flag on the arm (presumably that's an mls thing as everyone else has an american flag) to remind us. And all for one on the collar? awful, yes you appreciate the fans, I get it, but stop fucking pandering to us, just make a good basic shirt.

I eventually bought a Canada jersey ( no sponsor or patronising crap) and at some point I'll get a tfc players name on it.

I would love them to put out some kind of retro style jersey, just plain red, with the adidas stripes on the sleeve as a necessary evil i suppose, and the badge, and that's it. No sponsor, no patronising little extras to make us feel warm and fuzzy. To me, that would be pride in the bagde, and I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Carts
07-15-2009, 11:37 AM

Yes I'm sure, as its my career... Unfortunately, since this was too bad and bland to be an attempted joke, I'm guessing its not and you're seriously wanting to know what happened so.....

Actually it was the Major League Soccer State of the League Media Conference - it followed the 2nd open practice (open to the media) of the MLS All-Stars and then West Ham United (they also had a private training session at Lamport)...

In attendance was the Toronto media (CTV, City, Global), Canada's Sports Media (TSN, SNet, Score), and international media (including ESPN, Fox Sports World etc)...

I didn't get laid at the Liberty Grande unfortunately, although that would be a bit unprofessional... :D LOL!!!

Oh, and re-read, it wasn't a free-dinner - it was a free lunch... That night we had the free dinner at Musik nightclub with the reception being the entire all-star crew (staff, players, organizers present) - also catored by the Liberty Grande (they did everything during all-star week and it was pretty good)...

Carts...

H Bomb
07-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm not argueing that it's a shirt selling commercial, I dont really think it is. I think it's lame, and redundant. And I disagree that TFC tv isnt for us. It's for SSH imo and alot of them have kids. Again I just wish we held ourselves to a higher standard. I feel like if TFC made Tranformers 2 you'd all give it 5 stars

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh, and re-read, it wasn't a free-dinner - it was a free lunch... That night we had the free dinner at Musik nightclub with the reception being the entire all-star crew (staff, players, organizers present) - also catored by the Liberty Grande (they did everything during all-star week and it was pretty good)....

I crashed that party and stole some 'all-star' engraved glasses. it was fun.

Shakes McQueen
07-15-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm not argueing that it's a shirt selling commercial, I dont really think it is. I think it's lame, and redundant. And I disagree that TFC tv isnt for us. It's for SSH imo and alot of them have kids. Again I just wish we held ourselves to a higher standard. I feel like if TFC made Tranformers 2 you'd all give it 5 stars

A higher standard of what? Free Toronto FC TV content?

This is why I think this argument is crazy. Pretty much no other team in this league gets regular video updates, features, and interviews with the team. And yet we are bickering about how we deserve a higher quality of videos, or how this is all one big conspiracy to make up for beer sales, shirt sales, you name it.

It's a bunch of players and coaches talking about what a badge on a soccer shirt means to them. Completely and utterly harmless, whatever you thought of it personally.

What kind of higher standard should we be holding ourselves to? One in which we never just stop to occasionally appreciate what we have, but instead always complain or cynically assume the worst in every innocuous little web video the team puts out?

- Scott

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
can we rename this thread to ....

"The Passion of the Crest"

Yohan
07-15-2009, 12:22 PM
can we rename this thread to ....

"The Passion of the Crest"
:picard:

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 12:24 PM
come on.... it's funny.

Yohan
07-15-2009, 12:26 PM
come on.... it's funny.
well, i did lol a little, but it's still terrible

:facepalm:

English Rachel
07-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Ugh the negativity in here is STIFLING

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Ugh the negativity in here is STIFLING

back to RCT with you!

H Bomb
07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
A higher standard of what? Free Toronto FC TV content?

This is why I think this argument is crazy. Pretty much no other team in this league gets regular video updates, features, and interviews with the team. And yet we are bickering about how we deserve a higher quality of videos, or how this is all one big conspiracy to make up for beer sales, shirt sales, you name it.

It's a bunch of players and coaches talking about what a badge on a soccer shirt means to them. Completely and utterly harmless, whatever you thought of it personally.

What kind of higher standard should we be holding ourselves to? One in which we never just stop to occasionally appreciate what we have, but instead always complain or cynically assume the worst in every innocuous little web video the team puts out?

- Scott

See here's the thing. I dont want a higher quality of video. I dont want fluff, and BS. I appreciate what i have every day and a boring chick flick about loving some fabric wont change that. Im not sure who's "assuming the worst" but a lot of times these arguments get retarded because people "for" something think people "against" it are sitting around fuming over something that, as I've mentioned, serves no purpose.

PS: no one respond to this with "if you dont like it dont watch it", that one's past it's annual quota :D

English Rachel
07-15-2009, 12:35 PM
back to RCT with you!

:leaving:

(but I was agreeing with you)

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 12:37 PM
I know, I know.

I just always wanted to tell someone ... "back to RCT with you!"

(well someone who wouldn't get hurt feelings)

H Bomb
07-15-2009, 12:38 PM
you picked the wrong horse there homey

Yohan
07-15-2009, 12:39 PM
this thread needs more chokeholds

http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/montreal_fight.jpg

English Rachel
07-15-2009, 12:39 PM
I know, I know.

I just always wanted to tell someone ... "back to RCT with you!"

(well someone who wouldn't get hurt feelings)

I'm not hurt. And I am still here :D:hump:<3:flare:

Shush hbomb.

FluSH
07-15-2009, 12:41 PM

Where did you get that and who, what, why, and how?!!?!?!!??

English Rachel
07-15-2009, 12:43 PM

i dunno where he got it but RIGHT CLICK, SAVE AS lol

I can see it coming in handy sometime soon....

Yohan
07-15-2009, 12:44 PM
http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2009/07/13/another-montreal-meltdown/

Carts
07-15-2009, 12:46 PM
We need a "choke hold" avatar now!!! :)

Carts...

H Bomb
07-15-2009, 12:49 PM
^^ We'd have too many fights at tailgates from people taking the choke hold emoticon too seriously

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2009, 12:54 PM
you picked the wrong horse there homey

:deadhorse:which horse?:deadhorse:

English Rachel
07-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Neigh

Carts
07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
^^ We'd have too many fights at tailgates from people taking the choke hold emoticon too seriously

:lol: QFT...!!!

Carts...

Cas87
07-15-2009, 01:40 PM

I see a two stick for next year !?!?!
:flare::drum::scarf::drum::flare:

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 01:56 PM
OK, people are going to assume that I think this is tripe, and really I don't, I think it has its place. The issue that I think most are missing is what has lead to this. I have mentioned this on numerous occasions, the real issue was the removal of press passes of those who ORGANICALLY promoted TFC. That is the issue, PR control. Yes this is fluffy nothingness that is meant to coerce the the nominal punter into thinking that the front office see the TFC badge as some sort of pseudo-religious symbol. But the reality is the opposite, the badge has been taken away from the fan and held in the corporate cabinet, only to be doled out at an extensive cost. This ORGANIC message that was consistently spewed to C_B, myself and the few others who were in touch with Cesar at the time is the true travesty here. TFC fans developed the marketing plan, TFC then took all of the concepts, repackaged them and then removed the 'competition' to control the message. There is no problem with the video, the problem has been the slow stripping of the club away from the fans who virally helped build the passion.

Rudi
07-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I see a two stick for next year !?!?!
Already on it.

(We've been looking for a follow-up to the Claudio Reyna one from last year. God Bless the Limp Act and their implosion this year. :D)

H Bomb
07-15-2009, 02:00 PM
^^ yeah but all that stuff is irrelevant too. They havent stolen the badge from us. It was always ours, and always will be. I've got interest in how they sell themselves as I've already boiught the product and they can sell to noobs all they wants but this isnt that. When it comes to the hard core supporters i wish they'd just leave us alone. We got it guys, dont need your help, please just keep having a team in toronto, and then bugger off with your trinkets

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 02:11 PM
^^ yeah but all that stuff is irrelevant too. They havent stolen the badge from us. It was always ours, and always will be. I've got interest in how they sell themselves as I've already boiught the product and they can sell to noobs all they wants but this isnt that. When it comes to the hard core supporters i wish they'd just leave us alone. We got it guys, dont need your help, please just keep having a team in toronto, and then bugger off with your trinkets

Unfortunately that is a false rhetorical belief. It is not 'ours' it is the corporations, and you can use it at their discretion. Try using it without permission to make a video or piece of work displaying your passion for the club (other than banners, which are used in the general sphere). Contrary to the rhetoric, it is their badge, and supporters borrow it. It's the hard and cold truth.

manic.street.preacher
07-15-2009, 02:11 PM
i've totally been ignoring tfc tv for a while, just watch it now ... not gonna lie, i teared up a bit there ...

Rudi
07-15-2009, 02:13 PM
When it comes to the hard core supporters i wish they'd just leave us alone. We got it guys, dont need your help, please just keep having a team in toronto, and then bugger off with your trinkets
How are they not leaving us alone? And if they aren't, how would they?

This intrigues me.

H Bomb
07-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Unfortunately that is a false rhetorical belief. It is not 'ours' it is the corporations, and you can use it at their discretion. Try using it without permission to make a video or piece of work displaying your passion for the club (other than banners, which are used in the general sphere). Contrary to the rhetoric, it is their badge, and supporters borrow it. It's the hard and cold truth.

wrong again Patrick...wrong again

H Bomb
07-15-2009, 02:16 PM

This intrigues me.

I know it'll never happen but in my perfect world there is no TFC tv, no emails from the club, no club meetings with supporters groups, none of that. In my world I go watch my football team play football, then I go to the pub...in my world they'd quite literally offer me nothing but football, and they'd get back nothing but my support, nothing else

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 02:18 PM
wrong again Patrick...wrong again

Sorry, but how? Try making a video and getting a player who wears the badge involved... Give it a go, I promise you, I'll watch it. It's rhetoric, and that is all. That badge comes with a trademark...

There are so many arguments against what you are saying here.

- Changing the badge without supporter consent
- Requiring approvals for types of usage
- Having signs or displays which show the badge in bad light removed

etc.. etc... etc...

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I know it'll never happen but in my perfect world there is no TFC tv, no emails from the club, no club meetings with supporters groups, none of that. In my world I go watch my football team play football, then I go to the pub...in my world they'd quite literally offer me nothing but football, and they'd get back nothing but my support, nothing else

It would be the first club in the world to do so in this day and age....

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 02:23 PM
OK, people are going to assume that I think this is tripe, and really I don't, I think it has its place. The issue that I think most are missing is what has lead to this. I have mentioned this on numerous occasions, the real issue was the removal of press passes of those who ORGANICALLY promoted TFC. That is the issue, PR control. Yes this is fluffy nothingness that is meant to coerce the the nominal punter into thinking that the front office see the TFC badge as some sort of pseudo-religious symbol. But the reality is the opposite, the badge has been taken away from the fan and held in the corporate cabinet, only to be doled out at an extensive cost. This ORGANIC message that was consistently spewed to C_B, myself and the few others who were in touch with Cesar at the time is the true travesty here. TFC fans developed the marketing plan, TFC then took all of the concepts, repackaged them and then removed the 'competition' to control the message. There is no problem with the video, the problem has been the slow stripping of the club away from the fans who virally helped build the passion.

while I do agree that many of the original ideas came from the ground up (or organically as you like to put it), I would disagree that all the FO has somehow managed to steal or strip away the club from the fans.

The most popular sources for TFC news are still independent of the club (like this website and others like gotfc). Just because the club took away some access from ground level supporters (like gotfc's videos) doesn't mean that it will stop us from claiming the club (and the crest) as our own.

When I make my videos*, it's because I know there's people out there with an appetite for TFC and TFC supporter culture than can't be satisfied with 20 minutes on the radio once a week. When someone like Ben Kinght stopped working for the Globe but continued to self-publish his editorials, at his own expense, it's because he knows there're are people who are interested. People ARE still doing organic, viral work to spread the TFC experience outside of the confines of the club (or without permission - or in a gray area)

I agree that TFC management has tightened up control over their own brand and their own image, but there's still a huge part of 'Toronto FC' that belongs to the supporters. In fact, things that catch the attention of the average Torontonian, are totally under the control of the supporters and not the team. Giant banners, a group march, a protest with hundreds of people outside gate 4.... these are the things that separate us from the rest of the teams in the city, and the things that we still control. I don't think the team could possibly take it away from us.

*I still have a collection of the 2008 videos on dvd for you.

Rudi
07-15-2009, 02:32 PM
It would be the first club in the world to do so in this day and age....
One of the few things you and I agree on.

It would be incredibly poor form if they stopped promoting themselves lik H Bomb wished. Why bother having a website, if that's the case? Why purchase Gol TV? Why bother broadcasting their games at all?

It just doesn't make sense.

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 02:33 PM
while I do agree that many of the original ideas came from the ground up (or organically as you like to put it), I would disagree that all the FO has somehow managed to steal or strip away the club from the fans.

The most popular sources for TFC news are still independent of the club (like this website and others like gotfc). Just because the club took away some access from ground level supporters (like gotfc's videos) doesn't mean that it will stop us from claiming the club (and the crest) as our own.

When I make my videos*, it's because I know there's people out there with an appetite for TFC and TFC supporter culture than can't be satisfied with 20 minutes on the radio once a week. When someone like Ben Kinght stopped working for the Globe but continued to self-publish his editorials, at his own expense, it's because he knows there're are people who are interested. People ARE still doing organic, viral work to spread the TFC experience outside of the confines of the club (or without permission - or in a gray area)

I agree that TFC management has tightened up control over their own brand and their own image, but there's still a huge part of 'Toronto FC' that belongs to the supporters. In fact, things that catch the attention of the average Torontonian, are totally under the control of the supporters and not the team. Giant banners, a group march, a protest with hundreds of people outside gate 4.... these are the things that separate us from the rest of the teams in the city, and the things that we still control. I don't think the team could possibly take it away from us.

*I still have a collection of the 2008 videos on dvd for you.

Organic was not my word, it was Cesar's. That needs to be mentioned first. He wanted us to create the video's and gave access to players. Then it was taken away, why was that done is the key question... Why? In my estimation is that it was done to control the brand and insure a positive spin. It has taken away media opportunities that would have greater appeal and exposure vs. a blog. And let's be honest, Mr Knight would love to make money from the blog, but there is not enough of an appetite to generate sponsorship. Ben needs a brand, an essence, and until he truly differentiates himself then it will fritter away. Where is that poignant interview? Where is a in depth story? Nowhere. That's what was extracted in my estimation.

RPB et al ca claim the badge, but as has been noted above, it can be taken away at any moment.

And I'd love to see that vid - let me know what you want for it... Cheers!

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 02:35 PM
One of the few things you and I agree on.

It would be incredibly poor form if they stopped promoting themselves lik H Bomb wished. Why bother having a website, if that's the case? Why purchase Gol TV? Why bother broadcasting their games at all?

It just doesn't make sense.

That's the thing - at times people see marketers as 'evil', but at times they are people who communicate to consumers how to procure what you desire.

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 02:36 PM
And I'd love to see that vid - let me know what you want for it... Cheers!

you know the deal... :drinking:

H Bomb
07-15-2009, 02:37 PM
i agree with what you say Rudi except for broadcasting the games....because that it football. And that's all I want from my football club...what I want to know is what else others want from it? Because as usual...I dont understand....I wish my parents raised me with more convention in me so i'd get this stuff

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 02:37 PM
you know the deal... :drinking:

Done.

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 02:38 PM
back to my point, which you either missed or skipped...

but there's still a huge part of 'Toronto FC' that belongs to the supporters. In fact, things that catch the attention of the average Torontonian, are totally under the control of the supporters and not the team. Giant banners, a group march, a protest with hundreds of people outside gate 4.... I don't think the team could possibly take it away from us.

Toronto FC without supporters is just another team in another town.
It's the KC Wizards and FO has to know that.

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 02:49 PM
back to my point, which you either missed or skipped...

Toronto FC without supporters is just another team in another town.
It's the KC Wizards and FO has to know that.

There are a few areas where I address this - but for an excellent example: See the Toronto Maple Leafs. That brand is not owned by the fans... That is end game. Big Box Money.

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 02:54 PM
comparing us to a 100 year old hockey franchise, which is the biggest name in the sport proves what exactly?

yes, I know it's the same owners, but it's an apples and oranges comparison.

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 02:59 PM
comparing us to a 100 year old hockey franchise, which is the biggest name in the sport proves what exactly?

yes, I know it's the same owners, but it's an apples and oranges comparison.

It's not a comparison, it's an example of the end game... It's where TFC is headed.

Parkdale
07-15-2009, 03:10 PM
well good thing none of us will be there in 100 years.

I'm sure most supporters from 1909 wouldn't be happy with the current experience either, especially those mayo&mustard kits!

The Kingpin
07-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Expedited development of modernity....

Last Word. :)

uncle p
07-15-2009, 03:50 PM

Not trying to sound confrontational and i apologize if i do, but isnt your perfect world acheivable by not watching tfc tv, removing your email address and not attending meetings? I guess its like when someone tells you "dont look down"

it was a fluff piece, but i thought it was a good fluff piece. I'm sure its not as easy as we all think to make a video that caters to real supporters and noobs alike

Get In There
07-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Expedited development of modernity....

Last Word. :)

And it is our inclination to impede that development.

It is the truth

supporter groups are part of the essence of the brand

MLSE does not control the supporter groups (yet) and what emotions they evoke with the public inclined to pay attention.

'They' can control some lines and colour - we, collectively, can decide to shape how people 'feel' (Brand) about Toronto FC.

And it pisses them off

We are different than the Leafs and their fans (I'm one of them)

B

H Bomb
07-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Not trying to sound confrontational and i apologize if i do, but isnt your perfect world acheivable by not watching tfc tv, removing your email address and not attending meetings? I guess its like when someone tells you "dont look down"

it was a fluff piece, but i thought it was a good fluff piece. I'm sure its not as easy as we all think to make a video that caters to real supporters and noobs alike

I just dont think there's such a thing as a good flyff piece. And it's not that I hate it, its that I hate that it's made

oh yeah, and if you're gonna claim confrontational at least call me a piece of shit first :canada::D

FluSH
07-15-2009, 06:02 PM

Toronto Lynx?

FluSH
07-15-2009, 06:04 PM

This intrigues me.

I have to agree here... TFC FO has been pretty good to the supporters... always room for improvement if we look at let's say Seatle Sounders... however things are good... with the exception of the yellow jackets.

AL-MO
07-15-2009, 07:32 PM
MLSE does not control the supporter groups (yet)

Never will.

Well not as long as the current group of people running the SG's is around. :D

Maple Leaf Red
07-15-2009, 08:41 PM
It's not a comparison, it's an example of the end game... It's where TFC is headed.

well good thing none of us will be there in 100 years.

I'm sure most supporters from 1909 wouldn't be happy with the current experience either, especially those mayo&mustard kits!

For those that think that what has happened/is happening/might happen to TFC/sports in general in the city is anything new give this a quick read:

http://bitterleaf.blogspot.com/2009/06/victorians-unhappy-with-price-of-hockey.html

Shakes McQueen
07-15-2009, 09:26 PM
For those that think that what has happened/is happening/might happen to TFC/sports in general in the city is anything new give this a quick read:

http://bitterleaf.blogspot.com/2009/06/victorians-unhappy-with-price-of-hockey.html

I could sum that blog post up in two sentences.

"Man, Leafs tickets are expensive. Fucking bullshit man."

Of course, the author used far more verbose, flowery language, but that's the gist of it.

Sports franchises in North America charge what the market will accept for tickets. You look at the most well supported teams around the world, and they all have high ticket prices in common. That's just the way of the world.

- Scott

Roogsy
07-15-2009, 09:43 PM

Your world is boring.

Sonny Cheeba
07-15-2009, 09:45 PM
i hope we get a new crest. i don't like it. i'm proud to wear it and support the team. but it can be so much better.

uncle p
07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
I just dont think there's such a thing as a good flyff piece. And it's not that I hate it, its that I hate that it's made

oh yeah, and if you're gonna claim confrontational at least call me a piece of shit first :canada::D

Well then listen here you piece of shit!! :)

I guess to each their own on what a fluff/good piece is or isnt

Fort York Redcoat
07-16-2009, 08:02 AM
i hope we get a new crest. i don't like it. i'm proud to wear it and support the team. but it can be so much better.

put up a design or you're getting mobbed.;)

Parkdale
07-16-2009, 08:25 AM

blasphemy.

it's a really well designed crest IMO and probably one of the best in the MLS.
I'm not just saying that because it's my team, but it's really a classic design.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wBoBu5iQdxQ/RfBkqaYTSuI/AAAAAAAAACs/zFdZKY423N8/s400/mls+logos.JPG

^ the only crests that compare are DC and Chivas.
Personally, I like the look of the Dallas crest, but it's
more like a generic North American baseball team than
a proper football club. Still, it's well designed.

Yohan
07-16-2009, 08:30 AM
personally, I like Revs crest.

most stupid goes to the Crew. seriously. 3 guys looking like they want to be thugs?

and most unoriginal and boring to KC

Parkdale
07-16-2009, 08:35 AM
yeah, in think the revs one is a decent design, but does it always have to be so obvious?
(gosh, we're a soccer team so there should be a soccer ball in the crest, so people know what we play).

the TFC design does have elements of a soccer ball (in the gray/white background) without being in-your-face with it.

Yohan
07-16-2009, 08:37 AM
yeah, in think the revs one is a decent design, but does it always have to be so obvious?
(gosh, we're a soccer team so there should be a soccer ball in the crest, so people know what we play).

meh. i like the simplicity, but effective design

English Rachel
07-16-2009, 09:21 AM
I love our crest, it is BY FAR the best out of that shitty lot.

H Bomb
07-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Your world is boring.
perspective is a very interesting thing

Redcoe15
07-16-2009, 09:51 AM
I'd like to have seen how the crest came about. :tfc:

Steve
07-16-2009, 09:54 AM

I know this is a terribly silly suggestion, but this is what I'm hearing from you:

You don't want to see TFC tv.
You don't want to get emails.
You don't want to meet the front office.
You just want to go to games, enjoy the games, and go to the pub.

So... go to the games, enjoy the games, and go to the pub? Am I missing something? I mean, surely you don't feel obligated to watch TFC TV? Or are you offended that it exists at all? Don't want emails? Take yourself off the email list. Or, again, are you offended that they are emailing anyone, even if you don't get emailed? Don't want to be involved with the front office... don't? If you don't like that a group you're in is involved with the front office, quit the group.

I guess I just don't understand where this statement is coming from. You want less than the FO is giving, great, opt out of what they're offering and you're in your perfect world.

AL-MO
07-16-2009, 09:56 AM
I'd like to have seen how the crest came about. :tfc:

I think its based off of the Toronto City Crest...check Uncle P's avatar.

(emphasize 'I think' :D)

English Rachel
07-16-2009, 09:57 AM
http://www.sockatyes.com/apps/upload/product_images/stokecity_medium.jpghttp://bp3.blogger.com/_gJqV5dUNjGY/RkxkulITKxI/AAAAAAAAAdM/lihpta2R4mM/s320/toronto-fc-logo.jpg

H Bomb
07-16-2009, 09:57 AM
i answered that one later in the thread again...it's as much that it exists that bothers me. People tend to just take things in and not question why it's there or what it's good for. I've yet to figure out what most of this stuff is good for. But people are emotional, and want their fluff. I want to take it away so people start thinking more instead of watching worthless material and then taking time to praise said worthless material.

English Rachel
07-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Very similar :) love them both with all my <3

Fort York Redcoat
07-16-2009, 10:09 AM
i answered that one later in the thread again...it's as much that it exists that bothers me. People tend to just take things in and not question why it's there or what it's good for. I've yet to figure out what most of this stuff is good for. But people are emotional, and want their fluff. I want to take it away so people start thinking more instead of watching worthless material and then taking time to praise said worthless material.

Consider yourself lucky that you want less of anything instead of more. Your side usually is more likely to get what they want.

What we call fluff can be looked at as an attempt at saturating a demanding fan with the product. Sure it would be preferable to get something indepth every week but it's not going to be coming from the organization itself so I'll watch it for what it is.

Most people want more info on the team they support and while a fluff piece isn't it, it's what most will tune in to since it's easier and more entertaining than simple text news. I think its more productive to watch it and discuss it than to abandon it completely.

H Bomb
07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
actually you'd be surprised...there's a lot more fluff in the world than useful info!!!:D

and while i hear what you're saying, i just dont agree/understand it. Why anyone wants anything where its just people talking....didnt everyone get super pissed when michelle liseslelwhatever asked her shitty questions a couple years ago.....but you get a free pass P, as a full time Kool Aid drinker :canada:

olegunnar
07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Get in the mood for Saturday's match by checking out a feature on Toronto FC TV called Passion for the Badge! Players and coaches talk about the pride of pulling on the red Toronto FC jersey! To watch, click here. Don't forget as a Season Seat Holder you get a 15% discount on great Toronto FC merchandise at CentreSports and BMO Field.

Toronto FC
// All For One

TFC Tifoso
07-16-2009, 01:18 PM
LOL....hey, check out this cool video we made about the makings of the jersey......oh, by the way....buy one too, we'll give you a discount.....

straight from the heart :hump:

Parkdale
07-16-2009, 01:19 PM
is it hard to be cynical all the time

Phil
07-16-2009, 01:25 PM
is it hard to be cynical all the time

For some people it isn't.

Look, its a sales job, but there are a couple on interviews and bits of info I appreciate in it.

Its not aimed at us (supporters) but we pick up on it because its there. Apparently some people don't think we should be 'sharing' the video and talking about it, I personally see no point in going that route. I certainly think its worth talking about it so we can exchange ideas and opionions about it.

It just seems that things like this become a pissing match.

Rudi
07-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I think its based off of the Toronto City Crest...check Uncle P's avatar.

(emphasize 'I think' :D)
I thought it was based on my avatar. :p

In seriousness, you're right. The TFC crest is based on the Toronto city crest.

GhostKiller
07-16-2009, 01:38 PM
blasphemy.

it's a really well designed crest IMO and probably one of the best in the MLS.
I'm not just saying that because it's my team, but it's really a classic design.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wBoBu5iQdxQ/RfBkqaYTSuI/AAAAAAAAACs/zFdZKY423N8/s400/mls+logos.JPG

^ the only crests that compare are DC and Chivas.
Personally, I like the look of the Dallas crest, but it's
more like a generic North American baseball team than
a proper football club. Still, it's well designed.
The following crest are gay.
The list will be read in alphabetical order.
Dynamo, Huston
Redbulls, New York.
That is all.

MisterMacphisto
07-16-2009, 01:52 PM
One more bit to point out the painfully obvious. In today's email:

Get in the mood for Saturday's match by checking out a feature on Toronto FC TV called Passion for the Badge! Players and coaches talk about the pride of pulling on the red Toronto FC jersey! To watch, click here. Don't forget as a Season Seat Holder you get a 15% discount on great Toronto FC merchandise at CentreSports and BMO Field.

This was all to sell more shirts.

Parkdale
07-16-2009, 02:01 PM
yeah, when I listen to the interviews, where DeRo talks about how much it means to him to play with a Canada flag on his arm..... it's clearly all just a lie right? Maybe he gets a bonus for shilling.

H Bomb
07-16-2009, 02:21 PM
you know what I really like. I like hanging out in Algonquin park. it's really nice, and its gorgeous. Chances are pretty good that you'll see some nature including Moose and Bears. I've seen two Bears there myself. I always get a lake that doesnt allow motorboats and relax to the beauty and silence of nature. It's really one of my favourite places....

now should there be a thread about this? talking about how great my love of Algonquin park is? Anyone want to make a video of what I just said?

What if Dero said that, would we have a thread then?

Is it a celebrity thing maybe? People like to hear people they recognize and like talk about whatever? What ever happened to information?

TFC Tifoso
07-16-2009, 02:21 PM
No, its not a lie....I genuinely believe DeRo....but after the fact and once he has already given his comments, the video can be produced however the producers see fit. No doubt they asked DeRo a straight question and he answered it.....but how they choose to present is is totally out of DeRo's hands, for example.

Look, I love the colours, the badge, the men that walk out on the field every week, and us who support them.....but I also believe that many times the suits manipulate those elements and use them to their liking and advantage....that's what I'm not cool with.

Parkdale
07-16-2009, 02:33 PM
.....but I also believe that many times the suits manipulate those elements and use them to their liking and advantage....that's what I'm not cool with.

oh yeah... those evil suits are always ruining things. stick it to the man!

H Bomb
07-16-2009, 02:43 PM
so name the good stuff. other than they have a dialogue with the supporters groups what does the FO do for us....

TFC Tifoso
07-16-2009, 02:51 PM
oh yeah... those evil suits are always ruining things. stick it to the man!

no not always....but enough times now that I think we can let them know that we've taken notice to it.....

thisisinternetclash
07-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I think the current Galaxy, Chivas, D.C., and Salt Lake crests are actually quite nice.

MisterMacphisto
07-16-2009, 03:15 PM
yeah, when I listen to the interviews, where DeRo talks about how much it means to him to play with a Canada flag on his arm..... it's clearly all just a lie right? Maybe he gets a bonus for shilling.

:facepalm:

And some people will lap up anything.

I'm amazed that more people don't see this for what it is... A 6 minute infomercial selling jerseys, especially coming up on a day they've known about for awhile where they can't sell booze.

Don't get me wrong, the comments by the players are genuine, which is cool. Of course they get it, and of course supporters (should) know the importance of the crest and colours.

It's not whining, it's called not being blind. In the grand scheme of thing, its not that big of a deal, as anyone can expect MLSE to try to sell more Jersey's, which is what this video is. Just a bit of an epic :facepalm: to hear TFC FO coming out with the video on the importance of the colours and crest when they have just been recently schooled themselves and using that message to sell Jerseys.

MisterMacphisto
07-16-2009, 03:29 PM
It's kind of funny how when the slightest thing gets said negative about FO, some people defend them like something's been said bad about their mother.

Heaven forbid FO gets called on things. As I've said, if this video was just a video of the players and coaches talking about the badge and colours, it'd be innocent enough. Stick a mic in the players and coaches faces and ask them what it means, of course you'll get an honest, sincere answer. That part was cool.

But please, the cheesy sewing machine props and tailoring of shirt, the shots of the shirts available for sale in the merchandise room. The email reminding us of our 15% discount. The fact that FO to date, hasn't really had a clue about respecting the colours - Putting hot dogs and fast food on our jersey, allowing ads with the Jersey ripped, changing our colours and then pimping them under the guise of a measly 10% donation while still pocketing profit.

It's not a big deal, but it certainly deserves a :facepalm: and for someone calling them on it.

The Kingpin
07-16-2009, 03:53 PM
It's kind of funny how when the slightest thing gets said negative about FO, some people defend them like something's been said bad about their mother.

Heaven forbid FO gets called on things. As I've said, if this video was just a video of the players and coaches talking about the badge and colours, it'd be innocent enough. Stick a mic in the players and coaches faces and ask them what it means, of course you'll get an honest, sincere answer. That part was cool.

But please, the cheesy sewing machine props and tailoring of shirt, the shots of the shirts available for sale in the merchandise room. The email reminding us of our 15% discount. The fact that FO to date, hasn't really had a clue about respecting the colours - Putting hot dogs and fast food on our jersey, allowing ads with the Jersey ripped, changing our colours and then pimping them under the guise of a measly 10% donation while still pocketing profit.

It's not a big deal, but it certainly deserves a :facepalm: and for someone calling them on it.

There is one main culprit that leads the charge.

FluSH
07-16-2009, 04:05 PM

hmmmm let's see we had a 25pg thread calling for the heads of TFC FO here after the Vancouver game.... how much bad things do you want us to say?

Pick your battles... I'm sure I can find 100 reasons to be upset at TFC FO today... however there might be bigger and more important battles to "whine" about than an email reminding us of a 15% discount.

The Kingpin
07-16-2009, 04:07 PM
hmmmm let's see we had a 25pg thread calling for the heads of TFC FO here after the Vancouver game.... how much bad things do you want us to say?

Pick your battles... I'm sure I can find 100 reasons to be upset at TFC FO today... however there might be bigger and more important battles to "whine" about than an email reminding us of a 15% discount.

I thought security was your main battle...?

Parkdale
07-16-2009, 04:11 PM

and considering the FO really doesn't have anything to do with the win-loss-draw record.... they are the perfect people to bitch about. :rolleyes:

ps. The FO deals with seating, security, concessions, merch, advertising, ticking, the brand etc..... pretty much everything that happens outside the white lines.

FluSH
07-16-2009, 04:11 PM
I thought security was your main battle...?

The yellow jackets... yeah that's a sour point. You just ruined my happy day.

FluSH
07-16-2009, 04:13 PM
and considering the FO really doesn't have anything to do with the win=loss-draw record.... they are the perfect people to bitch about. :rolleyes:

Well in defence of "The 2nd Thread" cause we all know the original "The Thread"... Paul Bernie does sell us the product. He's the business guy... if you sell a product and it's not meeting up to our expectations or quality standards then you will get people who complain. The person who sells this product needs to go back to the warehouse and talk to the designers/manufacturers on what the problem is and get the shit fixed.

Parkdale
07-16-2009, 04:15 PM
if you sell a product and it's not meeting up to our expectations or quality standards then you will get people who complain. The person who sells this product needs to go back to the warehouse and talk to the designers/manufacturers on what the problem is and get the shit fixed.

yeah, very good point. He's our pusher!

I'm sure he can tell the team/coaching/staff/trainers/etc that the supporters aren't happy, but they knew that already.

FluSH
07-16-2009, 04:16 PM
yeah, very good point. He's our pusher!

I'm sure he can tell the team/coaching/staff/trainers/etc that the supporters aren't happy, but they knew that already.

I like that... "The Pusher"

Rudi
07-16-2009, 04:19 PM
so name the good stuff. other than they have a dialogue with the supporters groups what does the FO do for us....
To honestly answer this question, they allow us (the supporters sections) to pull off a ton more shit than other teams around the league.

They encourage a supporters culture (ie. the capo stands, which when I originally suggested it to them, they were immediately on board for).

No, we do not get everything we want and they do deserve to be criticized for certain things, they could be far, far worse.

To me, having a dialogue with the supporters is a huge thing, and not to be taken for granted.

H Bomb
07-16-2009, 04:19 PM
What does Paul push us though? Really? We've bought everything he can sell us, he doesnt have anything to do with the team. The guys a gentleman but .... why are we talking about Paul? :)

H Bomb
07-16-2009, 04:21 PM
To honestly answer this question, they allow us (the supporters sections) to pull off a ton more shit than other teams around the league.

They encourage a supporters culture (ie. the capo stands, which when I originally suggested it to them, they were immediately on board for).

No, we do not get everything we want and they do deserve to be criticized for certain things, they could be far, far worse.

To me, having a dialogue with the supporters is a huge thing, and not to be taken for granted.

Hey someone didnt take a question as rhetorical....Thank you Rudi....good call on the bringing banners in...while that should be a given i guess it isnt and will definitely omit it from any complaint i make about the FO in the future! :D

Rudi
07-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey someone didnt take a question as rhetorical....Thank you Rudi....good call on the bringing banners in...while that should be a given i guess it isnt and will definitely omit it from any complaint i make about the FO in the future! :D
I hear ya, it's easy to take for granted the stuff we do have here.

Maybe I'm influenced by the Lynx days (you want uncooperative FO horror stories?) and having watched MLS since day one (and hearing horror stories of supporters vs. FO from around the league over the years), but the level of co-operation between us and the club far surpasses what I expected when this whole venture got under way.

Again, that's not to say it couldn't be improved, but I was honestly expecting a soulless, corporate environment like most other NA pro sports.

H Bomb
07-16-2009, 04:26 PM
well lets not give them credit for having a soul quite yet.

MisterMacphisto
07-16-2009, 04:32 PM

Having supporters is a huge thing, and not to be taken for granted.

MisterMacphisto
07-16-2009, 04:35 PM

For the record, I don't consider a simple post pointing out the obvious a "battle". :) Just deserved of a face-palm is all.

And with that, I've said my piece.

Rudi
07-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Having supporters is a huge thing, and not to be taken for granted.
Yes, hence why they have a dialogue with their most ardent supporters.

It's a two-way street.

Get In There
07-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Ya, just don't be over 15 and try to shake the hand of a player with Michelle around.

B

DichioTFC
07-18-2009, 02:34 AM

this was a really dumb comment. the pride for the jersey is like the pride people have for the flag. its a source or pride and something to believe in. the players, fans and staff give their hearts and souls for this team, and that passion is represented by the logo and the shirt.

all the red shirts filling the stadium, with the noise at a fever pitch make TFC home games incredible for us and most hated for all MLS teams.

sure it was slightly self-congratulating. but this isnt just about marketing, its a matter of prestige.

kodiakTFC
07-18-2009, 02:53 AM
I think the current Galaxy, Chivas, D.C., and Salt Lake crests are actually quite nice.

I think every crest in the league but Columbus, Kansas, New England, and San Jose are actual quite nice.