PDA

View Full Version : Will Garber...

The Kingpin
07-14-2009, 02:06 AM
Have the stones to put Beckham in the All-Star game as one of his two choices? Garber will want this to be a high profile event, and he knows Beckham will significantly raise the profile... But not having played a game yet this season makes you wonder... Will Garber give it a go... Worth a healthy discussion in my estimation.

Cashcleaner
07-14-2009, 02:57 AM
I think it could create more problems than its worth for the league, to be honest. Right now with all the bad blood over at the LA Galaxy camp, I'd wager Garber wants the cameras off Backham for a while. Even more interesting, what if Beckham is asked to play in the ASG and refuses?

Yohan
07-14-2009, 03:10 AM
I think it could create more problems than its worth for the league, to be honest. Right now with all the bad blood over at the LA Galaxy camp, I'd wager Garber wants the cameras off Backham for a while. Even more interesting, what if Beckham is asked to play in the ASG and refuses?
Garber needs becks to put butts in the seats, considering reduced league attendance

Becks is going to be paraded around and milked for what he's worth until Becks leaves the league at the end of the season

Kaz
07-14-2009, 05:12 AM
well to be fair the league attendence for the first 5 home matches averaged to be about 14,400 but the average has already increased by 300-400 on average going into the 2nd third.

the major issues are in
Chicago whose attendance over it's first 5 home games was only 11,400 (down 5,000 over last years overall average)
NY whose average is only 10,800 down 4,000 over last years overall average.
New England with only 10,500 down 7,000 over last years overall average.

Those three teams getting such low attendance is really draging the overall numbers down. And of course FC Dallas has USL attendance. Just move them to Montreal in the same manner that San Jose moved.

but there is already some pick up. in Chicago.
thanks goodness for Seattle keeping those numbers over 14,500 :)

Fort York Redcoat
07-14-2009, 06:01 AM
I would think garber will more likely than not add Becks since the people who didn't get to see him or didn't get to see enough of him outnumber those that feel the animosity they should.

zeelaw
07-14-2009, 07:51 AM
whose William Garber?

flatpicker
07-14-2009, 08:16 AM
correct me if I'm wrong...
But Becks first came to America while still injured.
Therefore he did not have much play-time under his golden belt when he arrived.
So sticking him in the All-Star game seemed kinda silly for someone who was not in game shape.

But he has just wrapped up his season with Milan, so that might change things a bit.
He is a high calibre "MLS" player who just happened to play the last little while in a far higher calibre league.

But who knows... there are pros and cons in this situation... tough to decide.

Flipityflu
07-14-2009, 08:38 AM
i would say that it would make a mockery of those players who have committed to the league and played well this season for a team that is actually in the MLS, and not Serie A. also, considering the fact that we generally underpay alot of players, the small bonus you get for being selected would seem to be much more deserved to somebody who, once again, has actually played a game in this league this season.

olegunnar
07-14-2009, 08:46 AM
I think he will be contractually obligated to play.

Remember, this is Real Salt Lake's All star game. When this was announced Beckham was with Real Madrid. Real Madrid and Real Salt Lake have a 10 year cooperative agreement that expires in 2016.

Beckham was at Rio Tinto for the ground breaking...and then was back again for a tour of the new stadium.

MLS, Rio Tinto and Beckham are all connected. It seems to me, given all the relationships at play, that there was at somepoint some contract that he would be involved in this game, especially considering how involved he's been with the build up.

Hitcho
07-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Politics at LAG aside, it's a big boost for MLS and its credence around the world that the AS team has beaten PL opponents in the last two seasons. Admittedly not the best teams and they were in pre-season, but they still won. If the league wants a hat-trick of wins they need to include beckham. Like Flats said, he's just come back from some seriously big league time with Milan so he's in good nick. Bottom line is the AS team will be stronger with beckham playing, and the league wants to win the game.

Phil
07-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Moving this out of the news section as its a question...

Carts
07-14-2009, 09:35 AM
I say he'll add him... The star and media exposure is worth it to him (which is a double-edged sword I know)

The NHL would add Sidney Crosby if he was injured for the entire first half of the season, and was healthy a week before... Bettman would add him, he's a star...

I know not exactly the same thing, as Beckham opted to play elsewhere - but I think North American leagues will always add "star power" to an event like this, because that's what the event is an "all-star" game...

I know in theory it should be "best in MLS" game, but its not, the "stars" will always be added to pump up the event...

Many a leagues have had the better players of that season passed up for a "star" for that reason...

Carts...

Cas87
07-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Beckham probably won't be named as he hasn't even played yet in the league and more than likely Garber is already thinking ahead to next year when Becks isn't around (Focus the attention to local talent, meaning MLS grown talent)

But, I shouldn't assume. Anything is possible in sports these days. Fucking JP Riccardi and trading Halladay!
(sorry topic for another day)

:facepalm:

Detroit_TFC
07-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Put him a go-go dancer cage and roll him out at half time, with "Eye of the Tiger" playing over the loudspeakers.

Roogsy
07-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Interesting question...I never thought of it but I'd have to say the MLS seems like the ugly girl at the dance that will do anything...ANYTHING...for a little attention from the stud quarterback.

Oblio2
07-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Beckham is here to raise the profile of MLS....having him there does that. It would be silly not to add him and will look silly to some to add him.
I say, throw him in...who cares. It's a meaningless match anyway

thisisinternetclash
07-14-2009, 12:58 PM
I say add him to the roster then sit him on the bench as something of a symbolic gesture. Maybe bring him on for a five minute run-out at the end.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Interesting question...I never thought of it but I'd have to say the MLS seems like the ugly girl at the dance that will do anything...ANYTHING...for a little attention from the stud quarterback.

Great question Kingpin!

I agree with Roogsy…but this has really put the Comish between a rock and a hard place. It's a lose/lose for him.

Good enough for England but not the MLS All Stars?

felipe
07-14-2009, 01:59 PM
I think its an easy enough question - as the poster above mentioned - Bettman would put in Crosby even if he missed the entire first half of the season.

Its an All Star game. People want to see the stars!

Sorry Becks, (and national TV audience) we wish you could play, but Robbie Rogers in Columbus is having too good a season - you'll have to sit this one out.

The sponsors would be sooo happy...

flatpicker
07-14-2009, 02:09 PM
do we even know if Beckham would decide to play?
would he be obligated if chosen?
or could he say, "Nah, I'm not interested. I just wanna play out this season and run for the hills!"?