PDA

View Full Version : Do you watch/follow any MLS games or only interested in TFC?

backbeat
07-13-2009, 10:29 PM
I find that I'm only interested in TFC and EPL on Saturday and Sunday morning or other European clubs.

What about you - is our league of interest or just TFC?

I know when i was into hockey I'd watch any NHL game but not so with MLS so far.

Not sure if that's because there's not many on the tube or quality.

What about you - do you avidly follow the MLS??

MUFC_Niagara
07-13-2009, 10:36 PM
I watch TFC and any check scores for games that have a direct impact on TFC in standings. Aside from TFC, I couldn't name 10 other players in this league.

GuelphStorm2007
07-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I will sometime watch another MLS game just for curiosity sakes. But TFC is the only team I really care about.

TFC07
07-13-2009, 10:43 PM
I watch TFC and any check scores for games that have a direct impact on TFC in standings. Aside from TFC, I couldn't name 10 other players in this league.

Me too.

Nice to know I am not only person here who doesn't care about rest of league. :D

Super
07-13-2009, 10:53 PM
The parity of the league kills my interest in watching any other team than TFC. It's too random who wins. Other than that, it's all Premier League - and of course TFC to the MAX!

grizzle
07-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I watch some of the other games if I am betting on them (but definitely not all of the other games). Obviously I am more interested in games with TFC or teams that could have an impact on TFC's standings.

Damien
07-13-2009, 11:00 PM
I'll watch highlights from other games.

Yohan
07-13-2009, 11:06 PM
I try to catch as many games as I can. It is a fun league to watch most of the time.

Plus, know they enemies :)

Razcle
07-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Yah...I stick to the highlights for the other games.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-13-2009, 11:15 PM
kinda hard to do where i am now but sometimes its nice to watch a whole day of footie, including some mls games

King Tut
07-13-2009, 11:18 PM
I watch/follow any and all MLS games

know they enemies :)

nascarguy
07-13-2009, 11:20 PM
if i could not watch tfc I would watch DC & i only like dc because I like the supporter group and the city

Nuvinho
07-13-2009, 11:23 PM
I watch/follow most MLS games.

dupont
07-13-2009, 11:26 PM
I have finally started watching all MLS games that I can. I didn't at first but after a while I started to really enjoy catching the other games.

DichioTFC
07-13-2009, 11:26 PM
there really should be another option for casual viewers of other MLS games. i used to have a satellite with other markets, and that was entertaining, but i wouldnt follow those games religiously.

btw, is MLS available for betting on pro-line? it might be the next logical step for legitimizing the league throughout the province.

Cashcleaner
07-13-2009, 11:32 PM
I really only pay attention to Toronto FC, but if I hear of any brilliant goals or saves from other teams I'll catch the hightlights.

AdamZ
07-13-2009, 11:37 PM
I watch highlights, and watch some interesting-looking games if there's nothing else on. But that's true of any sport and any league.

Hooligan69
07-14-2009, 01:06 AM
I only watch Toronto FC. Other MLS clubs aren't worth a damn to me.

Lucky Strike
07-14-2009, 01:12 AM
I try to catch the occasional game, but seldom have the time. There are quite a few thing higher on the priority list. If it's a particular rivalry or some controversy is expected or something that's noteworthy, then I'll make a bigger effort.

CretanBull
07-14-2009, 01:37 AM
I usually only pay attention to TFC. Relating back to the thread about league parity, one of the draw backs of having parity is that other games don't end up meaning that much (until the end of the season).

Strikers
07-14-2009, 01:44 AM
If there is a game I can catch I will watch it. Usually thorugh the internet.

Pookie
07-14-2009, 05:31 AM
It's a fair question but not really when you think about it.

For the most part, MLS games are played on the weekend. Even if I wanted to watch another game in the league, it's likely on around the same time as TFC.

For example, July 25th in Columbus, here's the schedule for that day:

Saturday, July 25Chicago Fire at Seattle Sounders FC3:00 p.m. ESPN, Deportes
Toronto FCat Columbus Crew7:30 p.m. DK, Match Center
New England Revolutionat Houston Dynamo8:30 p.m. http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/x.gif DK, Match Center
Los Angeles Galaxyat Kansas City Wizards9:00 p.m. ESPN2
New York Red Bullsat Colorado Rapids9:30 p.m. DK, Match Center
D.C. Unitedat San Jose Earthquakes10:30 p.m. FSC, FSE

Chicago vs Seattle is likely the only game I'd be able to watch.

That said, the real issue is access. I'd wager that many fans would watch if they were televised in this market.

I think back to the MLS playoffs. I think the Cup game was on but I can't recall seeing an option (other than the internet) to view any of the other games.

DirectKick isn't available in Canada and no other network other than HDNet (if it isn't showing some high definition waterfall) seems to offer up a game.

I really don't watch other MLS games for the simple reason that I really don't have the option to watch them.

Fort York Redcoat
07-14-2009, 05:58 AM
I've never had an interest in watching 2 other teams play unless there are implications to my team, usually post season. Any league, any sport.

lips
07-14-2009, 06:42 AM
If thers's a MLS game on the tv I watch it. I catch the highlights if it is not on. But I really only follow TFC.

ensco
07-14-2009, 06:58 AM
This is an interesting question. I follow MLS is the newspapers quite closely, but in terms of watching games, I mostly don't have the bandwidth for non-TFC games.

Gazza_55
07-14-2009, 07:19 AM
I watch Seattle because I live out here in the west and they show all the home games in HD on the NBC affiliate. When Vancouver comes in I will watch most if not all the Whitecaps matches as well.

cementhead
07-14-2009, 07:44 AM
I watch most of the games when TFC are not playing just love watching soccer being played!

olegunnar
07-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Isn't there already a "what would you like to see on GolTV" thread?

menefreghista
07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
I really only watch TFC games.

Now, if those supposed '40 out of market MLS games' were ever to get to Gol TV like we were promised, I would watch more than just TFC.

English Rachel
07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
I've never had an interest in watching 2 other teams play unless there are implications to my team, usually post season. Any league, any sport.

What he said.

And I think my vote just tied it up 50/50

Jay P
07-14-2009, 08:29 AM
i'll watch any mls games if they are on, i've followed dc united before tfc existed, so i tend to watch more dc matches than any other team

flatpicker
07-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I can't vote in this poll without an "occasional viewer" option.

ManUtd4ever
07-14-2009, 09:06 AM
I can't vote in this poll without an "occasional viewer" option.

Agreed...

rocker
07-14-2009, 09:14 AM
I watch at least 1 other MLS game per week... plus I watch all the highlights in MLSnet.com.

But before TFC, i didn't give a shit about MLS at all... all I knew was there was some American league where the league owned all the players.. hahah. amazing how one's interests can shift.

flatpicker
07-14-2009, 09:32 AM
all I knew was there was some American league where the league owned all the players.. hahah. amazing how one's interests can shift.

I still don't get why they can't have the same revenue sharing system in place yet allow teams to have full control on player signings?

but that's another topic...

Darlofletch
07-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't watch any other MLS. I don't really care about the other teams and for me, sports without emotion is just a bunch of guys running around after a ball or skating after a puck.

I don't really watch much epl any more either. Since leeds got relegated, there's no team I actively like. I'll always hope for anyone to beat any of the big 4, and I always want the promoted teams to do well, but i just don't care enough, i didn't bother with a setanta subscription, and I'll have the sportsnet game on in the background on a saturday morning, but don't really pay too much attention.

Cas87
07-14-2009, 09:39 AM
I think that in some ways knowing the league is partially required.

Its always good to know the top players of the other teams and how dangerous they are so that we can focus really appropriate chants towards them

rocker
07-14-2009, 10:08 AM
I still don't get why they can't have the same revenue sharing system in place yet allow teams to have full control on player signings?

but that's another topic...

before i run this off topic, the theory is that by being single entity and owning all the contracts, MLS can avoid antitrust laws... thus giving the players less power in negotiations... Other NA leagues have individual businesses in different states, so they can collude against players, prompting anti trust laws to ensure collusion doesn't happen. MLS can't collude against itself, since it's single entity. In law, MLS is just 1 business not 15. Pretty smart, I must say.

back to your regularly scheduled topic....

Oldtimer
07-14-2009, 10:20 AM
I watched MLS on an occasional basis before TFC, and I'll continue to do so with non-TFC games.

Oldtimer
07-14-2009, 10:21 AM
before i run this off topic, the theory is that by being single entity and owning all the contracts, MLS can avoid antitrust laws... thus giving the players less power in negotiations... Other NA leagues have individual businesses in different states, so they can collude against players, prompting anti trust laws to ensure collusion doesn't happen. MLS can't collude against itself, since it's single entity. In law, MLS is just 1 business not 15. Pretty smart, I must say.

back to your regularly scheduled topic....

It's not just theory. MLS won a major court case in it's early days against several players who challenged it under anti-trust law. MLS won that battle completely.

jloome
07-14-2009, 04:47 PM
I try to catch as many games as I can. It is a fun league to watch most of the time.

Plus, know they enemies :)

I'm an MLS addict. Just about every game.

David_Oliveira
07-14-2009, 05:12 PM
I used to when the FTAs were up but not anymore. I'll watch from time to time online but that is it

redcard
07-14-2009, 08:11 PM
mls match centre...watch the games whenever you and the picture quality is great...i cant get enough of this game so i watch any matches that i can get...

kodiakTFC
07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
I watch TFC games + games that interest me. I have watched pretty much every Seattle game this season.

kodiakTFC
07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
mls match centre...watch the games whenever you and the picture quality is great...i cant get of the this game so i watch any matches that i can get...

Yeah I have this too, it is honestly incredible. I wish the EPL had something like this, I wouldn't hesitate to even pay double what it is now.

Mojo
07-15-2009, 12:12 AM
If its on TV I'll probably watch it, but I'm not going out of my way to watch another teams game.

Shway
07-15-2009, 12:39 AM
i watch all games that i can see,
you gotta to know who your going up against

thisisinternetclash
07-15-2009, 01:23 AM
I have MatchCentre as well ($20!) and catch a fair few games during the European offseason, but I'd definitely watch more if they were on proper TV or the quality was better. I find MatchCentre to look awful. It's about on par with JustinTV and streams of that nature. I've just read the Beckham book and feel kind of invested in their season, now, so I'll probably catch as many of the remaining Galaxy games as I can just out of sheer curiosity if I'm not otherwise occupied.

They don't air the HDNet games anymore; I think the contract expired. Those were absolutely gorgeous, though. It was a shame they were always on Saturday nights, as I'd miss quite a few if not most of them, but if I was home I'd always tune in.

I understand the appeal of partisanship, but watching TFC becomes more interesting an experience when you have an understanding and appreciation of the players on the opposing teams as well as the general narratives in play throughout the league during the season.

EAsoccer
07-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Watch most footy matches on television if I'm home. Watch all TFC games.... dont really get many/any MLS games outside of TFC and not willing to pay to do so.

Used to have a different tv/satellite provider and watched some games. If I'm home depends on what else is on. I will probably check out the all-star game and watch the playoffs on the net if not shown on TV.

Now... only follow players on my fantasy team through box scores.

FluSH
07-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Let's just say I even watch USL games if they are on...

WE NEED MORE MLS ON TV!

felipe
07-15-2009, 02:28 PM
I got ya beat Flush...I've been catching myself watching the new women's league quite often...why are the sky blues never wearing sky blue when I watch? They should be teh tangerines...

Carefree
07-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I tried a few times to watch other games, but when you don't have an emotional interest it really hits home how bad MLS is compared to European footie, both in terms of quality of play and quality of broadcast/commentary. Like someone else suggested, if the game involves a close rival of TFC in the standings I will try to get emotionally involved. Otherwise it's pretty hard.

I doesn't help that none of the games are televised on the major networks (I only have basic cable) and that I have to watch them on bad-quality streams.

thisisinternetclash
07-16-2009, 03:07 PM
A particular problem with MLS is that the playoff structure renders the individual regular season games so much less consequential. So, first of all, you as the viewer realize that there are very few genuinely big or must-win games, so it's a bit harder to emotionally invest yourself in anything. Beyond even that, though, the players themselves are surely aware that these games aren't a matter of life and death, and at times there's a real perceivable lack of urgency on the pitch.

rocker
07-16-2009, 03:11 PM
A particular problem with MLS is that the playoff structure renders the individual regular season games so much less consequential. .

i think that's changing as fewer and fewer teams can make the playoffs with the recent expansion. games are more meaningful because so many teams are fighting for those final spots.

also, given that things are so close, I think it forces teams to concentrate a bit more at the top, as they know a losing streak can send them right to the bottom.

Yohan
07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
i think that's changing as fewer and fewer teams can make the playoffs with the recent expansion. games are more meaningful because so many teams are fighting for those final spots.

also, given that things are so close, I think it forces teams to concentrate a bit more at the top, as they know a losing streak can send them right to the bottom.
it seems to me that some player do slack off once they are assued of a playoff spot. it's not a guaranteed thing. maybe this parity thing does work lol

I also wonder how EPL players feel about playing for mid to lower bottom table games near the end of the season (minus those effected by relegation)

I'd like to think that MLS players are competitors, and like all good sports players hates to lose a single game.

PJC
07-16-2009, 04:21 PM
I used to follow DC United and Houston Dynamo, but not as much now as I did before considering that Toronto has it's own team. Since TFC was born it's been more Toronto than anything. Once and a while watch a Houston game, but I do keep tabs on what's going on in MLS.

AL-MO
07-16-2009, 10:25 PM
I would watch more if they were on TV,(channels I get) and I am so damn busy with TFC/RPB that I never seem to have time.

troy1982
07-17-2009, 12:07 AM
I watch/follow about a quarter of MLS games through match center and other sources.

Brooker
07-17-2009, 02:48 AM
i watch a game or two a week. as long as it isnt Seattle.... the announcers suck their dick way too much. (now i know how people felt when we came into the league)