View Full Version : Barrett Named MLS Player of the Week

Shakes McQueen
07-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Wow, that feels weird to say.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=284647

- Scott

Super
07-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Good for him! Maybe now the haters will give him a minute or two to enjoy his stay at TFC.

tfcleeds
07-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Who knows, maybe this will give him the confidence he needs to turn the corner.

Anyways, he needs to keep it up if he wants to remain the first team, with Gerba, and possibly OBW on the horizon...

H Bomb
07-13-2009, 04:54 PM
That's interesting. I didnt think he was the best player on TFC let alone the league

TFC USA
07-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Smenge from Big Soccer must be furious. :D

Yohan
07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
if you didn't know, that's giambac

last week it was Jeff Cunningham. this week, Chad Barrett :facepalm:

WTF :D

H Bomb
07-13-2009, 05:20 PM
big soccer?

Hitcho
07-13-2009, 05:20 PM
two good goals, worked his ass off as usual but with a bit mroe thought behind his running and work rate and was probably the catalyst for the away win, which was huge for us and put us joint top of the conference. haven;t seen the other games but i'd say CB deserves to be a contender for sure. good on him and glad he won. hopefully he can have a run of good form now and a steady supply of goals to boot.

loconet
07-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Congrats Chad! Good for him. Finally his hard work is paying off. I agree, it does feel weird though.

What is even more screwed up is the previous week winner!

DichioTFC
07-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Good going Chad! I've been watching past games (TFC withdrawl!) and for all the grief he gets, he does the little things pretty well (positioning, workrate, aggression). Let's hope he continues to develop that finishing touch

Nerepis
07-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Congrats to Chad, all his hard work is paying off. But, for some reason I have to think that hell might be starting to freeze over. Cunningham was the Player of the week for 16. :D

Inklink
07-13-2009, 05:49 PM
TWO TFC stories in the top 5 headlines on TSN.ca?

What's next? Barrett being named player of the week? :scarf::D

Super
07-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Confidence is 99% of a strikers game. If you don't believe in yourself, or even doubt yourself, you're not going to put away those chances that you've got about 1 tenth of a second to produce into goals.

2 goals in San Jose should give Barrett a greater level of confidence, and hopefully he can follow up on the good show of form this Saturday. I'm certainly rooting for him!

Carefree
07-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Barrett is one of those players that I really want to like. Who knows, maybe a few more games like this and he may even keep his job once Ali gets here.

Hitcho
07-13-2009, 06:43 PM
^ agreed. it's hard not to love him because you can tell he'd run himself into the ground if he thought it would help the team.

TFC07
07-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Wow, I don't know what to say...I am speechless.

zeelaw
07-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Scored two goals, but missed 2 headers...lol

grizzle
07-13-2009, 09:51 PM
I will admit I am one of the Chad Barret haters, but deep down I want him to prove me wrong. His 1st goal last game was awsome, but his 2nd was kinda lucky. Do I think he deserves player of the week, no, I would say Vitti played a way better game than him, but he did bury 2 in there and I can't hate on that and I think that is the only reason he won this. I really hope this is a start of more good things to come for him. Good job Chad!

Yohan
07-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I will admit I am one of the Chad Barret haters, but deep down I want him to prove me wrong. His 1st goal last game was awsome, but his 2nd was kinda lucky. Do I think he deserves player of the week, no, I would say Vitti played a way better game than him, but he did bury 2 in there and I can't hate on that and I think that is the only reason he won this. I really hope this is a start of more good things to come for him. Good job Chad!
Other than his two goals, he's also credited with an assist on Vitti goal (which was more of a hopeful kick but eh), plus he was very dangerous with his direct running and hustle (setting up Guevara, running down on passes leading to corners, etc)

Barrett had better game than Vitti IMO

Darlofletch
07-13-2009, 10:07 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing about you TFC_USA.:D

Anyway, I'm very happy for him, i'd say vitti robinson and attakora had better games than him, but chicks dig the goals so barrett it is.

jazzy
07-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Good for him! Maybe now the haters will give him a minute or two to enjoy his stay at TFC.

NOt Likely...he missed a complete sure header.....those chances must be taken.....which is his game get one miss five.....he's a passer not a scorer...

Cashcleaner
07-13-2009, 11:49 PM
What's with people congratulating Barrett on TWO goals against San Jose. Look, anyone with a pulse would have been able to nudge that ball into the back of the net like he did. I'll give him the first goal and assist, but let's not go crazy over the second goal.

DichioTFC
07-14-2009, 12:07 AM
What's with people congratulating Barrett on TWO goals against San Jose. Look, anyone with a pulse would have been able to nudge that ball into the back of the net like he did. I'll give him the first goal and assist, but let's not go crazy over the second goal.

I think it has more to do with his work ethic and determination FINALLY paying off. We're not all haters, we want to see the boys do well, and especially the player who's signed to the longest contract (or at least one of the longest).

The congrats for Barrett are with the hopes that he has turned the corner and can live up to the expectations that everyone has set for him.

We'll be cheering for you, Chad "Fuckin" Barrett

Cashcleaner
07-14-2009, 12:37 AM
^ I do see what you're saying, heck, I used to be a big Barrett backer up until the first 1/4 of this season.

The thing about Barrett is that while I do think he's trying hard out there, he's still one of the most frustrating players to watch.

DichioTFC
07-14-2009, 12:46 AM
^ You're 100% right about being a frustrated player to watch but this is a good first step. He got two assists and a goal at the Miracle in Montreal, assisted DeRo's goal against the NY Energy Drinks and in San Jose he scored twice and assisted. Including the scoreless Real Salt Lake game, that's 3 goals and 4 assists in 4 games!!!

Someone lit a fire under his ass and hopefully this is a sign of good things to come!

DichioTFC
07-14-2009, 01:17 AM
btw, from Goal.com's MLS Weekly Breakdown:
http://goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/07/13/1380167/monday-mls-breakdown-beckham-galaxy-face-uncertainty

Monday MLS Breakdown Player of the Week – Chad Barrett, FW, Toronto FC

Look up 'maligned' in a dictionary purchased in the Toronto area and you might find Barrett's mug staring back at you. Barrett's struggles in front of net this season have been well documented on both sides of the border, but the former Chicago forward struck back at his critics by notching a pair of goals and adding an assist in TFC's 3-1 victory over San Jose. The brace should at least buy him three days of respite before the criticism ramps up again.

Oldtimer
07-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Chad's problems are entirely mental. He is actually quite a good player when he isn't thinking things through, but just scoring goals.

joel
07-14-2009, 09:29 AM
If you watched his post-game, he talked about how he was told he was doing too much unnecessary running, and he's been working on his game to play smarter so when he has the chances he's not too beat to put them away. Hopefully it keeps working.

Darlofletch
07-14-2009, 09:42 AM

seriously? really? did you miss the bit where he got the ball about 40 yards out and still had to beat the keeper? a situation that he and vitti have both already failed in this year, and that he pulled off very well this time around.

i don't think anyone's going crazy about it, but he should definitely get credit for everything he had to do to get to the point where all it required was a nudge.

if anything the assist is what should be discounted, attakora set that goal up after barrett failed to set it up.

Flipityflu
07-14-2009, 09:52 AM
good for him. i like to see the hard work he puts in rewarded. i want to see him do well.

Redcoe15
07-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Deserved. :scarf:

Great to see Barrett's game starting to round out. Hopefully it will be goal after goal after goal after goal...

Cashcleaner
07-14-2009, 12:05 PM
^ You're 100% right about being a frustrated player to watch but this is a good first step. He got two assists and a goal at the Miracle in Montreal, assisted DeRo's goal against the NY Energy Drinks and in San Jose he scored twice and assisted. Including the scoreless Real Salt Lake game, that's 3 goals and 4 assists in 4 games!!!

Someone lit a fire under his ass and hopefully this is a sign of good things to come!

Gerba is likely that someone.