PDA

View Full Version : The Beckham Experiment thread

Ben Knight
07-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Quite a read!

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/07/13/review-the-beckham-experiment/

tfcleeds
07-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Happened to be in World's Biggest Bookstore yesterday...they had quite a few copies available.

TorontoBlades
07-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Best quote ever!

"Man, I am not in the habit of feeling sorry for Landon Donovan. He’s just a little to Disney-Corp and “We’re Number One” for me to ever take seriously"

[NBF]
07-13-2009, 09:41 AM
i think this is the picture they're refuring to:

http://travelblog.portfoliocollection.com/images/Landon-Donovan.jpg

Cashcleaner
07-13-2009, 11:50 AM
I think this is going to be one book I have to pick up and have a good read through with. I doubt I'll be surprised by most of the revelations, but I'm looking at the whole thing like a wreck on the 401 - you kinda don't want to see what's going and and you have a good idea of what's in store, but you just gotta look anyway.

Carts
07-13-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm looking forward to reading it...

I think I know what most of it will be, but to hear about some of the underside dealings and life in an MLS team (even if its "one side" of the story) I will find interesting...

Carts...

troy1982
07-16-2009, 01:22 AM
This is an exert from "The Beckham Experiment" in which Landon gets Angry at Lalas (As posted on MLS Rumor http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/07/excerpt-beckham-experiment-angry-landon.html

"The Beckham Experiment" - Angry Landon vs Lalas

We continue our look at Grant Wahl's excellent book "The Beckham Experiment" by continuing to point out funny or juicy passages overlooked or NOT involving whole Landon Donovan vs David Beckham story.

The latest excerpt involves an incident which took place when Chris Klein was named the Galaxy MVP and sheds light on just what voting means in MLS as well as just how serious a player making nearly a million dollars takes a $25,000 prize.

We rejoin the book on page 140:

The interior of the rotating restaurant atop Chicago's Lakeshore W-Hotel where the confrontation took place.

....a few hours after the Galaxy's season-ending loss to Chicago, Donovan rode the elevator to the revolving bar atop the W Hotel on Lake Shore Drive (a rare MLS-allowed upgrade), tracked down Lalas, and tapped the Galaxy president and general manager on the shoulder.

"Could we go talk where it's quiet?" Donovan asked. "I want to ask you about something."

A week earlier, before the Galaxy's home game against Toronto, the team had presented its annual player awards. Donovan won the Humanitarian Award (for his work with the Galaxy Foundation) and the Golden Boot Award (for his eight goals), but when it came time to present the Galaxy's Most Valuable Player Award, it had gone instead to Chris Klein.

Soon afterward, a couple of media members mentioned to Donovan that nobody they had talked to had voted for Klein. That week, Donovan poked around the Galaxy offices and learned that the media balloting hadn't even been close: He had received all of the votes except one. Donovan was good friends with Klein, his roommate on road trips, and if Donovan's concern had been only about public recognition he wouldn't have taken the matter any further. But Donovan's contract promised him a $25,000 bonus if he was named the Galaxy's team MVP for the season, so he approached Galaxy public-relations director Patrick Donnelly. "What happened here?" Donovan asked.

"Well, what's happened in the past," Donnelly replied, "is the media all vote, and then when Doug [Hamilton] was here, he would have input on it and a decision was made."

"So what happened this time?"

"Well, the votes were all gathered, Alexi had an input, and then a decision was made."

"Does that mean Alexi could have changed it?"
Donnelly paused. "Um,, yeah."
Donovan could feel his anger burning, the resentment from a season's worth of slights piling one on top of the other. His acute sense for disrespect was in DEFCON mode, and now Lalas --- the target of that anger 000 was standing in front of him at the hotel bar in Chicago.
Donovan got to the point. "Who was the MVP of the team this year?" he asked.
"Chris Klein," Lalas replied.
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah."
"Well, I know what's going on here, and I'm fully aware of it. Don't bullshit me. I know what happened. I know the media voted for me, and somehow I didn't get it."
"Well, first of all, in my opinion, Chris Klein has been the MVP of the team this year. I just think for what you make and what you should be doing for this team that you weren't the MVP."
"Whatever;s your opinion is fine. I don't care. But if the media gets to vote, then why am I not the MVP?"
"Well, it's the media, but then the GM has a vote, and then it's decided who's the MVP."
"Then why even give the media a vote? You're not only insulting me, you're insulting them by saying they don't know what they're talking about. I can go tell them you're basically telling them to fuck off and we don't care what you think."
"No, that not the way it went."
"That's bullshit, Alexi. I'm so fuckin' pissed right now. I have a bonus for this. You're taking money from me. It's completely unfair."
"It's nothing personal. It's just the way it was done."
"Well, it's wrong. It's completely wrong."
"What do you want me to do about it? Pull you both on the field and say you're co-MVPs?"
"I don't care what you do or don't do public. I just want what's right to be right."
"Okay, let me think about it."
"All right."

Donovan walked away, but the issue wasn't over. A few days later, Donovan called Tim Leiweke and explained the situation. Leiweke said he would look into it. The Galaxy never announced anything --- Klein is still listed as the 2007 team MVP --- but Donovan got his $25,000.

Super
07-16-2009, 02:02 AM
I hate to say it, but Landon comes out as a guy you want to support in this situation.

Oldtimer
07-16-2009, 04:53 AM
I'm reading the book right now. It's a very entertaining book, even if you don't care that much about Beckham.

Some observations so far:

(1) The book mentions that the situation with Beckham not picking up the tab could very well be due to an Englishman not understanding American sports culture ie. cultural differences.

(2) Money was the driving force for AEG signing Beckham, spearheaded by Fuller *on Beckham's side) and Leiweke (on AEG's side). Garber had very little to do with it, same with Lalas. Beckham said "yes" based on a gut feeling that it was the "right time."

(3) This is not a point deliberately made in the book, but, despite being a gay icon, Donovan's marriage seems genuine.

(4) The whole Beckham experiement was highly scripted, but Beckham's injury, and LA doing so bad (which seems to be Lalas' fault as GM) ruined the script.

London
07-16-2009, 04:55 AM
who wants to join the 100, 000 dollar car club???

fuck you becks!!

Yohan
07-16-2009, 05:19 AM
The part about why Celestine Babayaro left LA Galaxy shortly after he signed for them is pretty funny

Yohan
07-16-2009, 06:11 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/grant_wahl/07/15/beckham.donovan/index.html

few more thoughts from Wahl, plus him taking a shot at Becky

ensco
07-16-2009, 06:57 AM
I haven't read it yet, and I absolutely do not think much of Beckham (Wahl's story about him demanding cash is classic)....

but reading that bit about the meal in Manhattan Beach, and how he's known Donovan for 10 years, is anyone else wondering if maybe Wahl is too close to his source? At least too close for us to unquestioningly accept whatever he reports?

A lot of Donovan's problem seems to be Beckham's (and others) lack of respect for Donovan. In fact, in this bonus story, it seems some people possibly don't like him and, sometimes, possibly as a result, he has been screwed.

Is that really so astonishing?

Oldtimer
07-16-2009, 07:07 AM
A lot of Donovan's problem seems to be Beckham's (and others) lack of respect for Donovan.

That comes out clearly in the book. He was the Galaxy's "star," and it was very hard for him to be second banana to Beckham.

Yohan
07-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Drew Carey's take on Beckham Experiment. interesting read

http://drewfromtv.blogspot.com/2009/07/beckham-experiment.html#links

Beach_Red
07-20-2009, 01:07 PM

that was good, thanks for posting.

rocker
07-20-2009, 01:19 PM
i just got my copy.. will read it before bed each night so I can have dreams of Becks and Landy running through my head.

Yohan
07-20-2009, 01:19 PM
i just got my copy.. will read it before bed each night so I can have dreams of Becks and Landy running through my head.
i'd have nightmares!

Carts
07-20-2009, 01:20 PM
I started reading it this weekend...

Enjoying the book, and its an eye-opener for sure...

Carts...

grizzle
07-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Wonder how much longer he will be in LA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyM32mCAqZY

mmmikey
07-20-2009, 01:34 PM
i need to get a hold of this book... should be interesting.

im still skeptical when one of the main players in the situation has been thought of as immature and spoiled for so long. he is WORSHIPPED by many american soccer fans as their own version of beckham. it just seems too easy to reverse their roles in this story.

mmmikey
07-20-2009, 01:40 PM

that WAS a good take on it. a motivated beckham is a dangerous beckham. i can see him and landon competing for attention and accolades for the rest of the season. that's not good for the other teams. great for buddle though..

if LAG management learns from their mistakes too.. ugh.

Yohan
07-20-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm beginning to really like Drew Carey

he may be a fat joker (no offence to fat people), but he gets it. he understands

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 01:43 PM

he may be a fat joker (no offence to fat people), but he gets it. he understands

Totally

mmmikey
07-20-2009, 01:51 PM

meh, after watching him wave his scarf like crazy when seattle scored during the opener i developed an intense desire to wrap his head in it and beat him with a wiffle bat for an afternoon (don't want to kill him, just really freakin annoy him).

i doubt that desire will go away soon. maybe if TFC slaps them at home and i get a nice shot of him looking all :( on tv.

BuSaPuNk
07-20-2009, 02:31 PM

+1

Just have found a new respect for Drew. Still a fat joker like you said but the more people that are like Drew and get it in the US and here the better.

Darlofletch
07-20-2009, 04:09 PM
meh, after watching him wave his scarf like crazy when seattle scored during the opener i developed an intense desire to wrap his head in it and beat him with a wiffle bat for an afternoon (don't want to kill him, just really freakin annoy him).....

I felt the same, but alternatively, that's why i like him, that's what being a fan is all about, lording it over the opposition fans when you're winning.

as other people have said, he gets it, and it's annoying when he enjoys it at our expense, but he's a great owner/spokesman to have in the league.

mmmikey
07-20-2009, 04:10 PM
yeah...... FINE.. still want to wiffle bat him :P

Gazza_55
07-20-2009, 04:17 PM
I am half way through and from what I've read and the interviews I have seen with Mr. Wahl one thing bothers me.

He's writing the book as if the "Beckham Experiment" is already over. Like his impact in the league is done. My question is "what if the Galaxy make the playoffs this year with Landon and Becks scoring goals for fun? Or even win the MLS Cup? What if he comes back after the World Cup and plays 5 or 6 more years in MLS? With the Galaxy playing franchise opening matches in Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, Las Vegas and St. Louis.

Roogsy
07-20-2009, 04:18 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/grant_wahl/07/15/beckham.donovan/index.html

few more thoughts from Wahl, plus him taking a shot at Becky

Holy crap!

:eek:

I have to pick up this book.

Yohan
07-20-2009, 04:21 PM
I am half way through and from what I've read and the interviews I have seen with Mr. Wahl one thing bothers me.

He's writing the book as if the "Beckham Experiment" is already over. Like his impact in the league is done. My question is "what if the Galaxy make the playoffs this year with Landon and Becks scoring goals for fun? Or even win the MLS Cup? What if he comes back after the World Cup and plays 5 or 6 more years in MLS? With the Galaxy playing franchise opening matches in Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, Las Vegas and St. Louis.
Probably another book ;)

Yohan
07-21-2009, 05:35 AM
so i just finished this book. not very long. about 300 pgs which I finished in about 7 hours.

it basically told you how to NOT build an MLS team. there were a lot of insights that I didn't know about that really opened my eyes to how this league works. I wouldn't say that there was a legit attempt at cloak and daggers game, except from Beckham's handlers, but there were a lot of naive mistakes made, and clear miscommunication from various parties. Nobody came out of this book looking like a saint, except for the other LAG players.

I had a laugh at Lalas who forgot that his job is to build a winning team first, not worry about business first. I appreciated the workhorse like Alan Gordon who is the type of player that holds MLS together right now. I had fun reading about Donovan's ego, though gained new appreciation of him as a professional player. I marvelled at Tim Leineke's dream of being a superclub, but being a rather dickhead of going about it. I felt sorry for Gullit's naivety.

Most of all, I kept trying to figure out Beckham. He does live in a shell where he does lose touch with reality at times. I'm convinced that he is an honesty bloke overall and he has the best of intentions, but he allowed himself to be manipulated and pushed into a situation that I really doubt he wanted.
After couple of years of being in MLS, I don't think he still understands MLS and American soccer in general.

There is no doubt that Beckham is the best player to ever play in MLS. But, Beckham needs to relearn what a professional player is all about, because he definitely failed to be the model professional that he supposedly is for LA Galaxy.

I really do hope that Beckham does have his head straight again and show commitment to Galaxy, but I also wonder if it's best to call the Beckham Experiment a failure and allow Beckham to quietly leave MLS as much as possible.

Wahl said Beckham was like a hot girl with too much baggage, and I don't think MLS is ready to handle Beckham's baggage and other issues right now.