PDA

View Full Version : MLS Poll - Toughest Stadium For Road Team

prizby
07-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Which MLS stadium is the toughest venue for a road team?
BMO Field 60%

Qwest Field 26%

Other 4%

Crew Stadium 4%

Rio Tinto Stadium 3%

LOL Crew Stadium only got votes cuz of the 2000 that invaded the past 2 years

Lucky Strike
07-13-2009, 12:48 AM
I saw that. Although at the time Sounders people had flooded the poll and was in the lead.

Roogsy
07-13-2009, 12:53 AM
I'd rather hear what the players think.

This league has very few fans that actually travel. What do they know how difficult it is for a road team other than what the standings say?

prizby
07-13-2009, 06:29 AM
everyone knows its bmo field :P

Oldtimer
07-13-2009, 07:11 AM
I'd say Quest is a pretty difficult place to play. RFK is pretty hard, as well. However, BMO sets the gold standard.

Parkdale
07-13-2009, 08:07 AM
you know why BMO is a tough place to play?

http://m2.wnymedia.net/files/2007/08/astroturf.gif

Auzzy
07-13-2009, 08:55 AM
you know why BMO is a tough place to play?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EE4XwPslovo/SOTZ_oEFHCI/AAAAAAAACeg/TVaEKOU0Z6c/s1600/astroturfstrips.jpg

FYP :smile:

__wowza
07-13-2009, 09:36 AM
qwest has had a lot of backlash as being one of the worst places for any team to play. apparently, it's been designed so that the sound curves down and in, instead of up and out. look at the way the place is shaped, it's defening if you have a big crowd in there.

a lot of the NFL teams have taken to blaring music during practices in order to simulate a full stadium of seahawks fans, but then again.. fuck the NFL.

ilikemusic
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Is it really all that interesting? ;)

__wowza
07-13-2009, 10:05 AM
the new KC stadium anyone?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/Trails_Stadium.PNG

rocker
07-13-2009, 11:58 AM

i doubt kc will ever be a tough place to play.

james
07-13-2009, 10:30 PM
i doubt kc will ever be a tough place to play.

i think they will fill the stadium some matches but even when its gonna be full i bet the atmosphere will be no where near as good as TFC, Seattle, or DC United.

GuelphStorm2007
07-13-2009, 10:36 PM
I agree The BMO would be a tough place to play for the visitors. It is probably the only stadium with a decent crowd. the alone freaks the players out. I wonder if Rio Tinto would be another tough place to play, mainly because of the Heat / Humidity, and the Altitude.

grizzle
07-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I think BMO due to the combination of turf and crowd.

Yohan
07-13-2009, 11:16 PM
with the retarded politcy MLSE starting to impose, BMO is not going to be the toughest to play

Qwest field is. Watch a Seattle game. Their fans get behind their team more than Toronto.

If Seattle haven't passed Toronto in atmosphere yet, they soon will

prizby
07-13-2009, 11:29 PM
with the retarded politcy MLSE starting to impose, BMO is not going to be the toughest to play

Qwest field is. Watch a Seattle game. Their fans get behind their team more than Toronto.

Seattle year 1 < Toronto year 1

lets wait and see what Seattle is like by the time year 3 rolls around

King Tut
07-13-2009, 11:57 PM
RFK Stadium

James Oliphant
07-14-2009, 12:01 AM
a lot of the NFL teams have taken to blaring music during practices in order to simulate a full stadium of seahawks fans, but then again.. fuck the NFL.

All NFL/CFL teams do that. It's not exclusive to teams who have to face the Seahawks.

Mikey
07-14-2009, 07:26 AM
BMO is not a tough place to play at, for a visiting team.
Check the stats.

If anything it seems a tough place for our guys to play at.

Steve
07-14-2009, 07:51 AM
BMO could be for the crowd/turf, but then again, the crowd might actually get the opponents pumped up (having the opposite effect).

I would put my money on Rio Tinto. Heat + Humidity is bad for teams not used to it, but altitude is the real killer. Watching games there, by the second half it always looks like the visiting team is completely out of energy.

Lucky Strike
07-14-2009, 10:13 AM

Blasphemy.

rocker
07-14-2009, 10:15 AM
i dont think Seattle fans get behind their team more than Toronto fans.
They do have 12000 more people in the building, so it may seem better. But I don't hear really any songs or chants.. they are good at reacting to the play, but not better than TFC fans. TFC fans are into the game just as much.
I think the impression of Seattle just comes from having 12000 more people there.
Imagine if BMO another 12000 seats?

The big advantage for seattle at home is travel.. it's the longest road trip for most MLS teams. We've seen how crap MLS teams are on the road.. then you have this massive flight to the northwest just to get there.

Kevvv
07-14-2009, 10:44 AM
If you look at goal differential, home vs away, RSL outscores their opposition by an average of 1.4 goals per game at home. Away, they get outscored by an average of 0.8 goals per game, so they are a full two goals better at home. The only other two teams that come close are NE (1.9 goals per game better at home), and - yes - NY at 1.8 goals per game. That's what happens when you've only scored two away goals, and it shows how much worse they are away from home.

If you measure goals allowed, home vs away, TFC comes in first. We've allowed an average of one goals per game at BMO, but 2.3 when away. Similarly, NE allows an average of 0.8 goals per home game and 2 on the road. Houston allows the fewest goals per home game - 0.4, but then they only allow one goal against away from home.

Based on goal differential, Chicago perform worst at home; only one of their six wins came at Toyota field.

AdamZ
07-17-2009, 12:18 PM

:facepalm:

Qwest is the MLS equivalent of Stamford Bridge.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-17-2009, 12:38 PM
As someone said above, we're essentially the only fans who travel. Therefore, the fans of other teams really don't know about the other stadiums.

Yohan
07-17-2009, 12:45 PM
As someone said above, we're essentially the only fans who travel. Therefore, the fans of other teams really don't know about the other stadiums.
Barra Brava, Sector 8 seems to have decent number of away trippers

FluSH
07-17-2009, 02:03 PM

KC was the best roadtrip I've been too... the current stadium although not soccer specific is in a PERFECT area for visitors. This new stadium looks like it will be near the District... I forget what they call it... but it should be a great place!

Can't wait for KC 2010

james
07-17-2009, 09:22 PM
i dont think Seattle fans get behind their team more than Toronto fans.
They do have 12000 more people in the building, so it may seem better. But I don't hear really any songs or chants.. they are good at reacting to the play, but not better than TFC fans. TFC fans are into the game just as much.
I think the impression of Seattle just comes from having 12000 more people there.
Imagine if BMO another 12000 seats?

The big advantage for seattle at home is travel.. it's the longest road trip for most MLS teams. We've seen how crap MLS teams are on the road.. then you have this massive flight to the northwest just to get there.

Seattle have the best attendence and very loud crowd, but one thing Seattle isnt good at is singing and chanting, its more just cheering and shit. I can never here any songs when they are on TV. When it comes to singing and chanting in MLS (at least from what i can here on TV) the top loudest fans are Toronto, DC United, Chicago and Columbus.

Yohan
07-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Remember us at season 1?

That's seattle right now, but better.

Their songs and chants are coming along nicely.

Jeff s
07-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Remember us at season 1?

That's seattle right now, but better.

Their songs and chants are coming along nicely.

They sing? Whenever I watch them all I hear is horns and the marching band. I dont actually hear any singing.

btw the last Seattle game I saw, the commentator said songs we're posted on the big screen. They needed the screen to tell the crowd wat to sing.:facepalm:

Yohan
07-17-2009, 10:45 PM
They sing? Whenever I watch them all I hear is horns and the marching band. I dont actually hear any singing.
i heard chants on and off

those bloody horns drown out a lot of other sounds too

btw the last Seattle game I saw, the commentator said songs we're posted on the big screen. They needed the screen to tell the crowd wat to sing.:facepalm:
i believe it's the words for Sounder til I die which is sung at 74th min of every game.

AdamZ
07-18-2009, 11:26 AM

again- Qwest is the Stamford Bridge of MLS. There they use the PA to tell the crowd to sing. Next thing you know Seattle are getting little flags to wave when instructed to.

I cannot believe the praise being heaped on Seattle. Toronto is a far more organic and authentic atmosphere.

Good on Seattle for impressing overall, but this worship must stop.

kitchener-TFC
07-18-2009, 01:10 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/05/10/chelsea10a.jpg
Seattle in the Future. These guys are hardcore!

TFCWEST
07-18-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm watching the seattle vs. chelsea game right now, and their chants are really impressive, the atmosphere is outstanding. They're really well orchestrated, everyone is singing in harmony.

boban
07-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Wow, only caught a few minutes of the game so far, but as far I can see, all the big boys are playing for Chelsea.
People here say Real will play their B team .. puhleeease.

Shakes McQueen
07-18-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm watching the seattle vs. chelsea game right now, and their chants are really impressive, the atmosphere is outstanding. They're really well orchestrated, everyone is singing in harmony.

I tuned in to the game, and heard most of the usual chanting - the same kind of stuff you get at a TFC home game, albeit on a slightly larger scale. I'm going to assume that's because Qwest Field is probably packed to the tits, not just the usual lower bowl.

Still, an entertaining game to watch so far. This league will be great if we can get more TFC's and Seattles coming into it.

- Scott