PDA

View Full Version : Gerry Dobson and Craig Forrest

FluSH
07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
What can I say? There are many of us who have posted recently about Gerry Dobson and Craig Forrest... they need to go.

In my opinion, The role of commentator is a criticial role for Toronto FC. You are the voice of Toronto FC and subsquently you are part of the product whether they play well or not... the commentator plays a crucial role on whether you stick around and watch the game or flip the channel. As a Toronto FC supporter, I have never done the latter. However, I've almost fell asleep on a couple of games with Dobson and Forrest commentating. It's that bad. I can only think of how many bad games Chuck Swirsky commentated for the Raptors... and each and every one of those games Chuck brought life to the game... somehow...someway.

This is not to say that Dobson and Forrest don't have a place as commentators... but maybe it's not for TFC and/or maybe it's not together. They are both too reserved.... There is no balance... they are both introverts... there is no yin and yang here... they are both flat yins... that's right I said it... flat yins

I can't remember a memorable quote that either Dobson or Forrest have ever had in regards to a Toronto FC goal.... EVER. The Miracle in Montreal... our greatest game EVER... and not one quoatable!?!? Nigel Reed on the other hand:

"Maurice Edu... They love youuuuuuu"

and thank God Nigel Reed commentated on May 12th 2007... who can ever forget those words...

Why are we settlign with sub-par commentating for these games? Who else is out there in Canada that can do a decent good job for our team - besides Nigel Reed?

I don't need a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLAZO or a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! but:

Will Toronto FC ever have a Chuck Swirsky? or a Ray Hudson?

S_D
07-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I wish Nigel could be the broadcaster for every game no matter which network carried it, including the goltv guys.

Stryker
07-12-2009, 09:42 PM
MLSE needs to offer Ray Hudson a DC contract.
Designated Commentator.

Nigel beside Hudson would be fuckin brilliant. They contrast each other but have similarities also.

FluSH
07-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I wish Nigel could be the broadcaster for every game no matter which network carried it, including the goltv guys.

I have no idea who the Goltv guys are... I mean I know there is a commercial where all the Toronto players yell:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL

But in my life, I have yet to hear a Toronto FC commentator say the above? Ever. It's just downright silly... I don't need to hear a latino style of commentating with GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL or a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLAZO!

But give me something like Ray Hudson if you want to keep it English... Tell me DeRo is half-man/half-amazing... tell me his flick-off to Barrett WAS MAGIC.

Roogsy
Meh...as long as they get the names right and provide some insight, they're fine with me.

Nigel Reed has some obvious advantages...he shows more passion...but also makes a lot more mistakes.

Honestly...I don't have problems with Sportsnet's coverage. I have seen lots of different types of coverage, and each network and country has it's own style. Not everyone wants Mexican style Goooooooooooooool...I like Gerry and Craig, but they aren't my favourites either.

But to be honest...I've seen much worse.

gmacpheetfc
maybe they'll bring him in for the Real Madrid Game

ray hudson that is.....

Stryker
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Meh...as long as they get the names right and provide some insight, they're fine with me.
So what you're saying is... Forrest is horrible right?
:)

FluSH
07-12-2009, 09:49 PM

Nigel Reed has some obvious advantages...he shows more passion...but also makes a lot more mistakes.

Honestly...I don't have problems with Sportsnet's coverage. I have seen lots of different types of coverage, and each network and country has it's own style. Not everyone wants Mexican style Goooooooooooooool...I like Gerry and Craig, but they aren't my favourites either.

When Toronto FC scores a Golazo... and you know what I mean by a Golazo... When Toronto FC scores A BEAUTY... You need to tell the world... You are the voice of Toronto FC for those +90 minutes... you need to ring on God's Doorbell and tell him DeRo just scored.

Yohan
07-12-2009, 09:50 PM
The SJ broadcasters actually did an ok job IMO, for a bunch of Yanks

sure, they can't pronounce the guy's names, but they actually did some research on TFC before the game.

believe me. Dobson and Forrest are way better than some of yank broadcasters. Shep Messing makes me want to shred my balls into pieces

I always preferred a bit of neutrality to sports broadcasting anyways

FluSH
07-12-2009, 09:53 PM
The SJ broadcasters actually did an ok job IMO, for a bunch of Yanks

sure, they can't pronounce the guy's names, but they actually did some research on TFC before the game.

believe me. Dobson and Forrest are way better than some of yank broadcasters. Shep Messing makes me want to shred my balls into pieces

I always preferred a bit of neutrality to sports broadcasting anyways

Save that for the World Cup... why in the world do we need to have impartial broadcasting when you are selling a product... when you should be bleeding red just like us... I don't need a biased commentator that will lie and argue with the ref whenever we get a bad call... no. However I need a Toronto FC commentator...

H Bomb
07-12-2009, 09:53 PM
For me I want accuracy, and that's why I'm not happy with SN. Nigel has shown improvement over the first year where no black player was announced correctly once. And i do love Nigel's style because I dont like nuetrality in commentary. I'm not too bothered about the goal calls or anything, I know if it's good or not, and I dont tend to re-live the moments with the calls in mind or anything

rocker
07-12-2009, 09:55 PM
funny when Forrest's chair broke last night.. there was this little laugh for a second and I wondered why he was laughing... nothing funny happened. then they mention his chair broke. hahaha.

I just get annoyed at all of the Gerry's mistakes. Right at the start of the game he made one and it was such a nothing statement... it's like his brain can't even connect with his mouth on the simplest things. And he still gets himself into some verbal diarrhea where he has to clarify a statement he just made (think of his comment about Brennan and the yellow card last night).

Forrest is OK I guess... although I find sometimes he gets that whine in his voice when he gets on a rant/criticism. It makes him sound like he's a holier-than-thou asshole.

FluSH
07-12-2009, 09:56 PM
For me I want accuracy, and that's why I'm not happy with SN. Nigel has shown improvement over the first year where no black player was announced correctly once. And i do love Nigel's style because I dont like nuetrality in commentary. I', not too bothered about the goal calls or anything, I know if it's good or not, and I dont tend to re-live the moments with the calls in mind or anything

What I am also bothered is with FOrrest constantly saying:

"He should have done better than that" or "As a professional he should have finished that..."

It is so predictable, Forrest gets an A+ for stating the obvious... his voice just booms arrogance. During the Gold Cup... how many times did he trash Sutton... I had to check wiki to make sure Forrest was Canadian... he was down right trashing him while Dobson was trying to get him an MLS contract...

Roogsy
07-12-2009, 09:56 PM
When Toronto FC scores a Golazo... and you know what I mean by a Golazo... When Toronto FC scores A BEAUTY... You need to tell the world... You are the voice of Toronto FC for those +90 minutes... you need to ring on God's Doorbell and tell him DeRo just scored.

Maybe. Not everyone wants that. I am sure there are people who would be bothered by that, not me, but there are so many different tastes out there.

Anyways, I am too busy being happy and celebrating after a TFC goal to care if the announcer is excited himself.

Stryker
07-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Fuck neutrality.
Remember the old commentator for the Buffalo Sabres? The guy almost had a heart attack everytime they scored a goal.
People will never forget stuff like "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, its Alexander the greatest Mogilny" Or Pat LALALALALALALALAFontainnnnnne!"
Homer or not thats both entertaining and exciting.

Roogsy
07-12-2009, 09:58 PM
And I should remind everyone that the colour guy is never the guy who gets "excited". The colour guy provides analysis. So to ask Craig to jump up and down is unrealistic. It's not what they are supposed to do.

Gerry on the other hand...if you wanted someone to get excited, it should be him. And I have heard him get excited from time to time. Sure it isn't "Mexican" Loco style...but I do hear excitement from him.

H Bomb
07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
you know who's way worse though? The Gol Gold cup dude. Gol Gol GOOOOAL. I had to mute him, I was considering finding out where he lives. These days I really zone Gerry out, rarely even hear him so he doesnt take anything away from the game, but he doesnt add anything either. I dont mind Forrest really, I just think he's not progressing. And I like De Vos.

FluSH
Forrest is OK I guess... although I find sometimes he gets that whine in his voice when he gets on a rant/criticism. It makes him sound like he's a holier-than-thou asshole.

Excatly... anyone here watch the Canada vs Costa Rica? Craig Forrest sounded like the biggest asshole towards Sutton...

H Bomb
Fuck neutrality.
Remember the old commentator for the Buffalo Sabres? The guy almost had a heart attack everytime they scored a goal.
People will never forget stuff like "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, its Alexander the greatest Mogilny" Or Pat LALALALALALALALAFontainnnnnne!"
Homer or not thats both entertaining and exciting.

May Day May!!!!!!!!

FluSH
07-12-2009, 10:01 PM
And I should remind everyone that the colour guy is never the guy who gets "excited". The colour guy provides analysis. So to ask Craig to jump up and down is unrealistic. It's not what they are supposed to do.

Gerry on the other hand...if you wanted someone to get excited, it should be him. And I have heard him get excited from time to time. Sure it isn't "Mexican" Loco style...but I do hear excitement from him.

What do you call Chuck Swirsky? what type of style is he? He did start of with soccer... not basketball. I would love to get some tape of old Chuck Swirsky.

Also, Ray Hudson... I checked on google... he's not Mexican.

rocker
07-12-2009, 10:01 PM
on neutrality -- I'm a fan of guys who get excited when it matters, as I think Flush wants. It doesn't have anything to do with being neutral or not. it's about matching what's going on on the field. You don't have to lie when the game sucks and teams are playing badly. But the best guys are the ones whose voice sorta has the same pace as the game. If the game is picking up, you can feel it in the voice. When a guy scores a great goal (no matter which side), the voice makes it sound like a great goal.

I will say a good commentator makes a big diff in my enjoyment of the game.
I loved Chuck Swirsky... even a shitty performance still was made better by Chuck cuz you could tell he loved basketball. But the new guy on Raps broadcasts is just so stale to me.

menefreghista
07-12-2009, 10:02 PM
I've actually learned to appreciate Dobson, he has improved a lot since he started doing soccer. Of course, he still messes names up all the time.

Maybe I'm crazy, or maybe listening to the guys broadcast the Gold Cup on Gol TV has helped me learn to accept Dobson.

I think people give Nigel Reed too much credit. Its like he gets a free pass because he has a British accent. He is often boring and sometimes doesn't raise his voice for goals. Plus he has a penchant for veering off-topic a lot.

By the way, Ray Hudson blows. He's one of the absolute worst announcers.

rocker
Excatly... anyone here watch the Canada vs Costa Rica? Craig Forrest sounded like the biggest asshole towards Sutton...

sometimes I think Forrest sounds too invested in what's going on when he criticizes people. It's like the player banged his wife or something and now he's gonna GET HIM BACK!
you can criticize but without that tone that makes it's the worst thing in the world.

I think he wants to sound authoritative when he talks, but it doesn't come off right.

Inklink
Yep, Joe Bowen should be calling TFC games :) .

Seriously though, Dobson and Forrest are OKAY, but Dobson has constipation whenever someone scores. "deROSARIO SCORES!".

Roogsy
07-12-2009, 10:05 PM
What do you call Chuck Swirsky? what type of style is he? He did start of with soccer... not basketball. I would love to get some tape of old Chuck Swirsky.

Also, Ray Hudson... I checked on google... he's not Mexican.

It's funny that you mention probably two of the most polarizing commentators in sports.

If you love them...you love them.

If you don't love them...you hate them.

There is no middle ground.

You aren't exactly using examples of sports commentators that are generally considered widely liked or praised. They have just as many haters and they do fans. And that's the problem.

For the record...I love Ray Hudson. Swirsky got on my nerves but I appreciated his enthusiasm.

FluSH
07-12-2009, 10:06 PM
on neutrality -- I'm a fan of guys who get excited when it matters, as I think Flush wants. It doesn't have anything to do with being neutral or not. it's about matching what's going on on the field. You don't have to lie when the game sucks and teams are playing badly. But the best guys are the ones whose voice sorta has the same pace as the game. If the game is picking up, you can feel it in the voice. When a guy scores a great goal (no matter which side), the voice makes it sound like a great goal.

I will say a good commentator makes a big diff in my enjoyment of the game.
I loved Chuck Swirsky... even a shitty performance still was made better by Chuck cuz you could tell he loved basketball. But the new guy on Raps broadcasts is just so stale to me.

Excatly. I hate many Latino commentators that are ultra-bias and play referee on television towards their team. This happens even during international games. An extreme example... Honduras vs El Salvador... the commentator was telling the public that the referre was Mexican and virtually trying to rally the viewers against the Mexican referre... I thought he was going to yell out his address at one point.

Any how.. a biases commentator that is blind to the game is not what I am looking for. I want someone who is excited when it counts... I don't want to hear a Dog show commentator talk after I land on my feet from a Toronto FC goal!

manic.street.preacher
07-12-2009, 10:07 PM
It is so predictable, Forrest gets an A+ for stating the obvious
^ my favourite: "he should have done better there, if that goes in, that's a goal" :facepalm:

<3 Nigel Reed, some of the things he comes up with are golden

FluSH
07-12-2009, 10:07 PM
It's funny that you mention probably two of the most polarizing commentators in sports.

If you love them...you love them.

If you don't love them...you hate them.

There is no middle ground.

You aren't exactly using examples of sports commentators that are generally considered widely liked or praised. They have just as many haters and they do fans. And that's the problem.

For the record...I love Ray Hudson. Swirsky got on my nerves but I appreciated his enthusiasm.

I don't watch Hockey... but is Hockey also boring and impartial? is the Maple Leafs commentator like Gerry Dobson and Forrest? same for the Blue Jays... I stopped watching after the strike... but how is their commentating?

TFC USA
07-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Julian Jackson.

Paul Sutton.

El Salvador (when Costa Rica is playing).

Mario Velez.

Dobson learns from us Americans how to call a game and pronounce names. :D

I don't get the whole British accent thing because I can't stand Nick Webster on FSC and he's British. I can't stand Tommy Smyth and he's Irish.

Dobson is okay the more I listen to him. But not great. He's bland and his goal calls are horrifying "DeRosario. DEROSARIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That's probably what he yells when he shits.

FluSH
07-12-2009, 10:11 PM
sometimes I think Forrest sounds too invested in what's going on when he criticizes people. It's like the player banged his wife or something and now he's gonna GET HIM BACK!
you can criticize but without that tone that makes it's the worst thing in the world.

I think he wants to sound authoritative when he talks, but it doesn't come off right.

I agree 100%

I was embarrassed for Sutton after the Costa Rica / Canada game. No fellow Canadian should give another Canadian a tongue lashing like that on public television... not when he has a Family to feed. That was just wrong Forrest... no class.

Yohan
07-12-2009, 10:13 PM
I agree 100%

I was embarrassed for Sutton after the Costa Rica / Canada game. No fellow Canadian should give another Canadian a tongue lashing like that on public television... not when he has a Family to feed. That was just wrong Forrest... no class.
exactly what is Forrest suppose to do? let Sutton's blunder go unnoticed? sugar coat it?

I can't recall exactly what Forrest said, but if you fuck up, then you should be expected to get called on it

TFC USA
07-12-2009, 10:14 PM
I think Forrest is just a Team Canada homer.

He irritated the shit out of me during the U-20s (kinda like when you guys were irritated watching your U-20 team :D) with the "South American players are known for diving" rhetoric.

I think he's just bitter he allowed 9 with Ipswich and 7 with West Ham against Man Utd. :)

FluSH
07-12-2009, 10:16 PM
exactly what is Forrest suppose to do? let Sutton's blunder go unnoticed? sugar coat it?

I can't recall exactly what Forrest said, but if you fuck up, then you should be expected to get called on it

It's all in how you say it... It's communication. I can tell someone to fuck off in probably 10 different ways... and each with a very different response/feedback.

rocker
07-12-2009, 10:16 PM
That's probably what he yells when he shits.

hahah. Gerry does get that "grunt" in his voice when he calls a goal for De Ro..

Beyond canada, I'm not really impressed with many American soccer broadcasters. There's a guy who calls games for, I think, San Jose (not sure if it was him, or I was watching the home broadcast of a team playing San Jose). Anyway, the guy has such an "announcer voice". He pronounces even the simplest words like they are the biggest words in the whole world: "He's having a drink of WATER on the SIDELINE!" I can't stand him. It's like he just got out of announcing school and decided to take on soccer.

the one guy I do appreciate down south is the Charleston Battery guy (Brit accent). I forget his name. I remember a game where he was really observant about what was going on between players on the field. It's one thing to describe the plays, but it's quite another to see the nuances between players, particularly when the ball goes away from them.

FluSH
07-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Anyhow... before I hit the sack... Can we get some examples of other teams in Toronto?

TML? Blue Jays?

am I just out of the loop in the current trends in commentating?

rocker
07-12-2009, 10:18 PM
whaddaya think of Luke Wileman? he's rough around the edges, and sometimes he overtalks... but I think he's good on goal calls and seems to have a decent sense of the game. i think he has potential.

Yohan
07-12-2009, 10:19 PM
the one guy I do appreciate down south is the Charleston Battery guy (Brit accent). I forget his name. I remember a game where he was really observant about what was going on between players on the field. It's one thing to describe the plays, but it's quite another to see the nuances between players, particularly when the ball goes away from them.
few times I've heard that guy call a game, I really enjoyed it

get that guy here now! Andrew Bell IIRC

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 10:23 PM
I actually think Forrest could be a decent colour guy, but Dobson's voice just isn't right for commentary at all. It's funny someone mentioned his "grunty" voice when DeRo scores a goal, because that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this discussion.

I consider Nigel Reed the gold standard for TFC broadcasts. Has a mellow delivery, but provides memorable calls when TFC scores a goal. I will always remember Dichio's goal against New England in the last game of our first season: "That's why they love him! Virtually the last kick of the season!"

- Scott

TFC USA
pVxf0YjyjdI

That what you want FluSH? :)

prizby
before anyone goes bashing sportsnet, PLEASE, please PLEASEeee listen to an american broadcast of the SAMEEEEEe GAMEEE!

what we get is 1000x better than what they get

Roogsy
07-12-2009, 10:25 PM
In particular, Max Bretos from Fox Sports. OMG...I want to shoot myself in the head.

TFC USA
07-12-2009, 10:32 PM
EW2d-QrnFgA

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Is that Bretos? Holy shit, that's just awful. How does he possibly think people want to hear that?

- Scott

TFC USA
07-12-2009, 10:41 PM
That is Bretos.

Also known for the "YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" goal call.

TFC07
07-12-2009, 10:43 PM
All TFC commentators (yes, this even includes Nigel Reed) lack passion and boring as hell! They're so boring to listen to. Too bad Chuck Swirsky moved back to Chicago. I believe he was a TFC season ticket holder (I think he mentioned this during a Raptors game).

0UzOsZ7R0x4

9v_ZpZJxJ1Y

I miss Chuck.

TFC USA
07-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Boring as hell?

Are you expecting them to yell like fuck all game long? That's unrealistic for a national TV network dude.

Nigel and Luke are good.

king dave
07-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Been holding this in for too long now!
Dobson and Forrest have no skill at commentating live football games.
Maybe other sports?
But not football.
KD.

manic.street.preacher
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
^ :rofl: ... they should have us doing commentary a la fanzone, at least it wouldn't be the snooze-fest that is the gerry and graug show

SV9DY5sujH4

Lucky Strike
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM

+1 on all accounts there. I don't mind the guys and they're not the best but I don't come close to wanting to rip my hair out like when I'm listening to American commentators who just don't know how to call a football match. I don't know if you guys will know what I'm talking about, but there's a certain style to it, with some specific terms and others which, when used to call a football game, just sound out of place. Most American commentators I've heard can't tell the difference.

And I'm definitely not a fan of the latino "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!" thing. If it was a crucial goal, like when that wins a championship or something like that, I could understand. But not for every mundane goal.

TFCWEST
07-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Forrest says the same thing over and over in the same monotone mundane voice, "Well he'll be disappointed with that effort","He should've done better than that" No insight whatsoever. I agree he is much better than some american broadcasters.

twistedchinaman
07-12-2009, 11:13 PM
<3 Nigel Reed, some of the things he comes up with are golden

And that is expected. We can remember his calls -- sure Nigel has his clangers, but he's improved on that quite a lot. Plus, he brings passion...HE SOUNDS LIKE HE WANTS TO BE THERE. Gerry and Craig sound like they don't. It's all flat...too academic.

You are the voice of TFC to the nation. People from Victoria to St. John's are watching you. Bring some fucking passion to your call...don't try to package tepid dishwater and call it energy lemonade. Because well...the truth is obvious!

And I will agree with you MSP -- if Dobson had called that Chicago game, I would've flicked it back to the Simpsons rerun I was watching and then made a Cup o' Noodles without ever thinking about that game again.

thisisinternetclash
07-12-2009, 11:14 PM
My take:

I actually don't mind Forrest at all. He's not particularly eloquent or charismatic or erudite, and it's fair to say that he doesn't bring very much to the table, however it's just as fair to suggest that he doesn't take anything off the table. There are very few English language colour commentators in football who add anything of genuine substance to a broadcast, including those contracted to the BBC, Setanta and Sky. Forrest is as credible and invested a voice as we're likely to get in Canada at this point (though to be fair I actually quite like Jason DeVos). He is a bit repetitive and has too few turns of phrase in his arsenal, but he's relatively balanced, composed in his delivery, and refreshingly honest in his evaluations of certain players. He's not very exciting, but with the right partner (as was the case in my opinion when he was on CBC in the past) he can be more than adequate and even quite successful.

Dobson is simply poor. To his enduring credit he has improved since he's begun calling games and it does seem to be the case that the application is there. He has an appropriate understanding of MLS and Canadian soccer, and seems like a genuinely nice guy. That said, he has so few of the tools necessary to successfully perform the task of commenting on football. There's no plainer way to state it. His voice is poor, he's not particularly clever or quick-witted, he's unable to work in metaphor nor simile, and attempts nothing other than a superficial description of what is happening on the simplest level of the pitch. He's unable to abstract enough to tell a story as a game is unfolding, and rarely notices any real tactical analysis nor does he make any pregnant points in general. In complete fairness to him it's not particular easy to call soccer games as they're happening, and it does seem that he's been placed in an uncomfortable position, but that doesn't excuse him his ineptitude. What's worse, as many have noticed, he really does himself no favours by affecting that snarling, American sports caller aping, "mean" voice when describing a particularly venomous attempt at goal or big save. He has no real personality nor unique on-air style. He's really very bad.

Blizzard
07-13-2009, 12:18 AM
My take:

I actually don't mind Forrest at all. He's not particularly eloquent or charismatic or erudite, and it's fair to say that he doesn't bring very much to the table, however it's just as fair to suggest that he doesn't take anything off the table. There are very few English language colour commentators in football who add anything of genuine substance to a broadcast, including those contracted to the BBC, Setanta and Sky. Forrest is as credible and invested a voice as we're likely to get in Canada at this point (though to be fair I actually quite like Jason DeVos). He is a bit repetitive and has too few turns of phrase in his arsenal, but he's relatively balanced, composed in his delivery, and refreshingly honest in his evaluations of certain players. He's not very exciting, but with the right partner (as was the case in my opinion when he was on CBC in the past) he can be more than adequate and even quite successful.

Dobson is simply poor. To his enduring credit he has improved since he's begun calling games and it does seem to be the case that the application is there. He has an appropriate understanding of MLS and Canadian soccer, and seems like a genuinely nice guy. That said, he has so few of the tools necessary to successfully perform the task of commenting on football. There's no plainer way to state it. His voice is poor, he's not particularly clever or quick-witted, he's unable to work in metaphor nor simile, and attempts nothing other than a superficial description of what is happening on the simplest level of the pitch. He's unable to abstract enough to tell a story as a game is unfolding, and rarely notices any real tactical analysis nor does he make any pregnant points in general. In complete fairness to him it's not particular easy to call soccer games as they're happening, and it does seem that he's been placed in an uncomfortable position, but that doesn't excuse him his ineptitude. What's worse, as many have noticed, he really does himself no favours by affecting that snarling, American sports caller aping, "mean" voice when describing a particularly venomous attempt at goal or big save. He has no real personality nor unique on-air style. He's really very bad.

Gerry's problem is that his call of soccer is not instinctive. Yes, he's improved. Absolutely he has improved but I don't know that Gerry ever did much in the way of pbp pre-Sportsnet picking up the CSA.

He's a nice guy too, and a professional but when it comes to that deep down knowledge of the game that you can only really have by both being a fan and being a long term observer of the game, he loses out.

When Luke or Nigel see a play go bad on the field, they have some insight into what went wrong. With Gerry, it's often just a "well that didn't work".

I say again, he's improved greatly but soccer isn't a game that he really "knows" IMO.

BTW, I was very impressed with Dan Dunleavy's call of last night's match as I listened to The Fan live instead of watching the nine minute delayed Sportsnet broadcast.

B

nascarguy
07-13-2009, 01:34 AM
guys we need to tell the TFC head office to fire them

S_D
07-13-2009, 01:38 AM
Gerry's problem is that his call of soccer is not instinctive. Yes, he's improved. Absolutely he has improved but I don't know that Gerry ever did much in the way of pbp pre-Sportsnet picking up the CSA.

He's a nice guy too, and a professional but when it comes to that deep down knowledge of the game that you can only really have by both being a fan and being a long term observer of the game, he loses out.

When Luke or Nigel see a play go bad on the field, they have some insight into what went wrong. With Gerry, it's often just a "well that didn't work".

I say again, he's improved greatly but soccer isn't a game that he really "knows" IMO.

BTW, I was very impressed with Dan Dunleavy's call of last night's match as I listened to The Fan live instead of watching the nine minute delayed Sportsnet broadcast.

B

I agree. Dobson has improved but he seems to be missing the "je ne said quoi" that separate the decent announcers from the good and greats.

It seems to me that he is missing the excitement of the game. I guess the best way I could describe it is like watching it from a monitor in some far away studio rather than at the game and absorbing some of the passion that you can feel when you are there live.

One thing I have noticed about Forrest this season is he isn't talking as much about what he did in his career in the past so there is one of my pet peeves gone. Just wish he could get away from his "world class" and other sayings that are constantly repeated.

FluSH
07-13-2009, 05:57 AM
I actually think Forrest could be a decent colour guy, but Dobson's voice just isn't right for commentary at all. It's funny someone mentioned his "grunty" voice when DeRo scores a goal, because that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this discussion.

I consider Nigel Reed the gold standard for TFC broadcasts. Has a mellow delivery, but provides memorable calls when TFC scores a goal. I will always remember Dichio's goal against New England in the last game of our first season: "That's why they love him! Virtually the last kick of the season!"

- Scott

This is what I'm talking about... we need more of this... more quotables that will stand the test of time. Nigel Reed is by far the best TFC commentator... I just wished we had more like him.

FluSH
07-13-2009, 06:02 AM
P.S. and can we stop bringing up the GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL Latino style of commentating... I never suggested such. I like it, but it's not our culture so it won't work.

Eastend
07-13-2009, 06:59 AM
I agree with those saying that this pairing just doesn't work. 1 thing I wanted to point out is there is no need to keep telling us who is passing to who with every pass....

Garcia to Brennan....Brennan to Guavera....now Guavera to Robinson....Robinson to Barrett....Barrett to DeRo....blah blah blah.....

You get the drift.....it's on TV, we're watching it and we know who's passing to whom....I know he's play by play guy but come on...get creative and interesting....

ForestGlade
07-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Can someone whip out the Swirsky to English dictionary and tell me just what "Onions baby onions!" means?

The problem with Gerry is he's so used to be a studio host of the EPL Relegation Show every Saturday morning that when it comes time to broadcast a game, he just doesn't have another level. Nigel on the other hand gets a free pass with the accent, but c'mon, don't you feel smarter listening to him than half the morons in the FSN community calling games? Try watching a Sounders game and not hit mute by the end of the first half, I dare ya

Phil
07-13-2009, 07:12 AM
guys we need to tell the TFC head office to fire them

ummmm, they work for rogers.

I think they need to do a better job but after watching the Gold Cup on Goltv and hearing whoever they have doing that...Forest and Dobson sound brilliant.

MG42
07-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Nigel Reed for full-time TFC commentator.

zeelaw
07-13-2009, 07:33 AM
I can't remember a memorable quote that either Dobson or Forrest have ever had in regards to a Toronto FC goal....

"Ricketts dipsy-doodles for two?"

:picard:

mmmikey
07-13-2009, 07:52 AM
The biggest problem with Gerry is he often seems distracted when a big play or goal occurs. Sometimes they are more concerned with not interrupting each other.

It also doesn't help sell the game to an unknowledgable audience when the announcer sounds confused or tongue tied.

I have no real problem with Forrest aside from his limited range. Combine him with a better announcer and he would be fine.

olegunnar
07-13-2009, 08:05 AM
I agree with those saying that this pairing just doesn't work. 1 thing I wanted to point out is there is no need to keep telling us who is passing to who with every pass....

Garcia to Brennan....Brennan to Guavera....now Guavera to Robinson....Robinson to Barrett....Barrett to DeRo....blah blah blah.....

You get the drift.....it's on TV, we're watching it and we know who's passing to whom....I know he's play by play guy but come on...get creative and interesting....

It's as if he thinks he's calling a hockey game.

FluSH
07-13-2009, 08:27 AM
The biggest problem with Gerry is he often seems distracted when a big play or goal occurs. Sometimes they are more concerned with not interrupting each other.

Fully agree here... there are awkward moments of silence every now and then... kind of like dead silence @ a First Date. And I do believe it is because they don't want to interrupt each other on who will speak next...

I have no real problem with Forrest aside from his limited range. Combine him with a better announcer and he would be fine.

This could be true. Forrest partnered with someone else might make the situation more pleasant...

Blizzard
07-13-2009, 08:42 AM
whaddaya think of Luke Wileman? he's rough around the edges, and sometimes he overtalks... but I think he's good on goal calls and seems to have a decent sense of the game. i think he has potential.

I definitely prefer Luke to Nige.

He's got a bit more energy to his call. Nigel can be a bit too low key for me.

Luke also has more play-by-play experience than Nigel. Prior to coming to Canada, Luke was the radio play-by-play man for Leeds United (or was it Sheffield Wednesday) IIRC.

Nigel was more of a reporter/studio host and to the best of my knowledge, not doing much play-by-play.

I like Nigel but I like Luke more.

Both know the game much better than Gerry and it shows.

B

Blizzard
07-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Fully agree here... there are awkward moments of silence every now and then... kind of like dead silence @ a First Date. And I do believe it is because they don't want to interrupt each other on who will speak next...

This could be true. Forrest partnered with someone else might make the situation more pleasant...

I don't recall any complaints about Craig when he was teamed up with Nigel for the CBC telecasts.

Tezza
07-13-2009, 08:47 AM

But they don't. Dobson had just finished explaining that Barret went off for Dichio and then Vitti is carrying the ball down the right wing and he's calling him Barret. Dobson makes at LEAST one mistake per game and in general....several. Now that's not really the main reason I can't stand this pairing but they are truly awful.

I don't really care how shitty commentating for the other teams is...I want it to be good for our team. Forrest drives me nutz more though. They replay a foul in which most of us are yelling at screen and he is trying to say..."I think he got that right or...that was never a foul". He is famous for picking balls out of his net...he was a shit keeper and a worse commentator. I'm no fan of Sutton's play of late however the way he talked about him in the costa rica game is funny. The only thing that would have made that better was if Sutton had been interviewed after the game and said...."well it wasn't pretty...but it wasn't like watching Forrest play Man U either"

OneLoveOneEric
07-13-2009, 08:48 AM
I love the dead silence. It's fine with me. My biggest complaint about Forrest is that he feels the need to be talking ALL THE TIME. Just let the game talk.

And God forbid we got Ray Hudson. I'd have to get a bigger mute button.

TFC~Vatreni
07-13-2009, 08:48 AM
I can't stand these two guys either! I think Forrest is trying to be unbiased sometimes but comes across like a bitter douche. Plus neither have that "it" factor that makes a good commentator.

TOBOR !
07-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Forrest is pretty good, when he's not prattling on about 'when I played for Ipswich' or doing things like that embarrassing interview he did with Dwight Yorke (I think it was) ahead of the 2006 World Cup (it might have been), making out as if they were best pals, but Dwight (if it was him) hardly seeming to remember who Craig was.

Dobson is just marginally better than Vic Rauter - but without the comdey factor (you can laugh at Vic).

nimamalek
07-13-2009, 09:01 AM
A little more excitement from the 2 would be nice. But a lot of people didnt like Nigel the first couple of years, its only recently that I've seen people really warming up to Nigel, I will wait another year or so before I pass any judgement on the two

MG42
07-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Nigel

2_mOMNSXpkI

Dobson

LN1W7m6AA-8

Luke

QNG5N-Sd63o

jVeAnHwgUxM

Spanish awesomeness

_XVAvZt8sR8

Random
QAdBpYobZlU

Pachuco
07-13-2009, 09:52 AM
I've been saying this for a while. Gerry and Craig are a terrible combination together. I completely agree with you Flush in that they are both very flat to be commentating on the same game.

Personally, they are better analysts then they are play by play commentators. I mean, I don't disagree with Forrest much, but I can't stand listening to his voice during a game.

On the bright side though, atleast sportsnet is showing TFC games as opposed to TSN who couldn't spell TFC if you asked them to.

Shakes McQueen
07-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Man, I forgot how fucking awesome that game against Chicago was at the end of last season. So many chances. The fans were ready to have a heart attack, haha.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
07-13-2009, 09:53 AM
I've been saying this for a while. Gerry and Craig are a terrible combination together. I completely agree with you Flush in that they are both very flat to be commentating on the same game.

Personally, they are better analysts then they are play by play commentators. I mean, I don't disagree with Forrest much, but I can't stand listening to his voice during a game.

On the bright side though, atleast sportsnet is showing TFC games as opposed to TSN who couldn't spell TFC if you asked them to.

I wish TSN would do TFC games - at least a few. I'd love to hear analysis from Dick Howard. Though I assume Vic Rauter would be involved too *shudder*.

- Scott

greatwhitenorf
07-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Blizzard:

Nigel Reed has a long background of play-by-play work in England.

The hardest thing for Gerry and Greg to overcome is that they are studio presenters much of the time, setting up EPL telecasts or doing Soccer Central. I think it's hard for them to get out of this mode when they hit the broadcast booth.

I like Gerry. He surprised me a few years back getting involved with soccer when CTV was usually the source for snickering sarcasm at the game, like that halfwit bingocaller Lance Brown. Or even when Pat Marsden was there. He's been part of soccer presentations now for many years and clearly enjoys what he's doing.

I'd prefer to see Gerry stick with the studio stuff. But if he is going to do play-by-play, it might be useful to have his studio partner step aside and let a fresher voice join him. Maybe Greg is hacking at a soft target like Sutton to sound tough. Maybe there's some pesonal history there.

Funny thing about former players is that they often shy away from criticizing the players they're covering. Paul James could analyze a game in the minutest detail, but always went soft talking about individuals. Dick Howard's a lovely man, but again, doesn't really get scathing in his comments. Jason De Vos has an opportunity to be that harder edged critic we need. And he's big enough to take on anyone physically who challenges his opinion. Just has to avoid making those silly John Garrett-type, pucker-face expressions at the end of every comment.

Ahhh, it makes me pine for the days when I had to regularly replace the speaker on my TV because of the sheer volume coming out of the Channel 47, MTV soccer studios featuring THUNDERING DALE BARNES! Now there was man not afraid to speak his mind and if he wanted your opinion, he'd tell what it was.

Davenport
07-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Dobson and Forrest are characterless, uninteresting and just state the bleedin' obvious.
Give me an option of them or 2 hours of banging me head against a wall and I'll take the headache thanks.
And if Forrest says world-class again I'll throw a brick at my bloody telly.
Get rid now.

Best commentator by a mile in N. America is Andrew Bell with Charleston and the USL.
Him and Reed would be a good combo.

mmmikey
07-13-2009, 11:26 AM
i usually felt bad for sutton.. was a guy i really wanted to root for, but im surprised everyone is defending him after that canada game. he made some real brutal plays in an int'l level competition even if it is "just" the gold cup. i really felt like he deserved the criticism for that game, and forrest was right to do so.

Blizzard
07-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Blizzard:

Nigel Reed has a long background of play-by-play work in England.

OK. That's not my understanding though. Even the CBC's bio doesn't mention play-by-play in his c.v. It does refer to his hosting and production work for BBC's coverage of the Premiership. It does refer to Nige providing analysis for the BBC's web site and it does refer to his "coverage" of Liverpool and Everton. PBP his not mentioned until they refer to his work for the CBC.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing Nigel. I've never heard him claim to be a BBC play-by-play man. CBC isn't claiming it either.

The only time I've seen mention of Nige as a pbp man in the UK was in the Globe and Mail in a very good article by William Houston.

I'm happy to be wrong on this if indeed such is the case.

B

Blizzard
07-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Dobson and Forrest are characterless, uninteresting and just state the bleedin' obvious.
Give me an option of them or 2 hours of banging me head against a wall and I'll take the headache thanks.
Get rid now.

Best commentator by a mile in N. America is Andrew Bell with Charleston and the USL.

Andrew Bell is tremendous. I heard him doing a USL game recently. Top notch. Lots of personality. ESPN should hire him to bring some quality to their crappy telecasts.

I don't think you want two play by play men in the booth though. One PBP and one analyst and you really do need some Canadian content in the TFC booth.

FluSH
07-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Get rid now.

I have to say that Andrew Bell is fantastic. From my first Charleston game, I took immediate noitce at his commentating. I was so impressed I had to ask around the board for his name. I think I've watched 4 Charleston games now... and I can say that They truly have a Pro in Charleston... they are very lucky to have Andrew Bell.

Blizzard
07-13-2009, 12:14 PM
I have to say that Andrew Bell is fantastic. From my first Charleston game, I took immediate noitce at his commentating. I was so impressed I had to ask around the board for his name. I think I've watched 4 Charleston games now... and I can say that They truly have a Pro in Charleston... they are very lucky to have Andrew Bell.

He joined them as PBP man in 1999 and now he's the President of the club.
Well done Andrew!

B

fetajr
07-13-2009, 12:24 PM
I vote for La Torre de Jalisco, Pablo Ramirez

F-BM_nPIlMQ

FluSH
07-13-2009, 12:29 PM
He joined them as PBP man in 1999 and now he's the President of the club.
Well done Andrew!

B

Are you kidding me? Andrew Bell is the President of Charleston Battery?!!?!

WOW

I guess there is absolutely no way for us to get him LOL

Yohan
07-13-2009, 12:37 PM

WOW

use the DP money! :D

TFC USA
07-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Oh man that fucked up pass by Ruiz was the final straw for me. I would've loved to see a 4th goal in that game for us.

SilverSamurai
07-13-2009, 01:56 PM

WOW

Kind of like how Vince McMahon used to do play by play for WWF. lol
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wL_y7o0buOM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wL_y7o0buOM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U8oQdl-IDbs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U8oQdl-IDbs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Can't say big Vinny Mac wasn't into it.

But seriously, I do agree that Dobson and Forrest are not the best and also think that they should perhaps stay as simply instudio folks. But compared to some of the gringo broadcasts, they are WAAAY better.
IMO, Reed and Forrest were the best combo, but I don't think Dobson and Forest are as bad as many of you are making them out to bed.
They do get excited though, usually Forrest is more laid back but anyone that's watched Canada games knows that he harps about the CONCACAF refs and how Canada gets screwed over. Their is hope for them.. lol

Yohan
07-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler would make one helluva soccer commentator duo

well, Lawler would be like another Ray Hudson, except with more entertaining metaphors

fdasilva
07-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Ray Hudson for TFC captain. He could be the captain from the commentator's box, that's how passionate he is. :D

FluSH
07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Dobson

QNG5N-Sd63o

This is not Dobson... I'm pretty sure of it... or am I totally losing it now..

AdamZ
07-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Nice post MG42, the first 'Dobson' one is Luke, but I'm sure you just put it under the wrong name.

I like both Luke and Nigel, but come on, Nigel's commentary for that Chicago game is exactly what we need.

MG42
07-13-2009, 05:58 PM
yeah sorry I know it was luke, just mixed them up when typing

here they are proper

Nigel

2_mOMNSXpkI

Dobson

LN1W7m6AA-8

Luke

QNG5N-Sd63o

jVeAnHwgUxM

Spanish awesomeness

_XVAvZt8sR8

Random
QAdBpYobZlU

TFC07
07-13-2009, 08:20 PM
^^^ Spanish one is best out of those videos.

AdamZ
07-13-2009, 08:23 PM
^^^ Spanish one is best out of those videos.

not really no.

ensco
07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
This is how you do it. One of the great goals in WC history, an all-time classic call, Martin Tyler doesn't need to scream, he has a fabulous sense of the occasion nonetheless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R_iYLca2gc

The Mexican call was pretty good too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3uHMOM8YiU

And of course on the Argentine call, famed announcer Victor Hugo Morales goes nuts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Z-CZ2kw-g

This is the call that made Morales famous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiYYSradplU

Maple Leaf Red
07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
not really no.

If you're not latin you likely won't like it but I love the enthusiasm the announcers bring to the game.

james
07-13-2009, 09:54 PM
im not latin and i love the commentators in the Argentina league on Fox Sports World, i love it when they go "GOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL" makes the game sound more exciting.

giaco82
07-13-2009, 11:38 PM
get rid of the cheesy "hey...hey...hey" music sportsnet uses for TFC games..then worry about replacing dobson..

FluSH
07-14-2009, 08:56 AM
im not latin and i love the commentators in the Argentina league on Fox Sports World, i love it when they go "GOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL" makes the game sound more exciting.

I prefer the GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL! but then again it only sounds good if the entire broadcast is in Spanish...

james
07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I prefer the GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL! but then again it only sounds good if the entire broadcast is in Spanish...

no my favourite (and ill just use Vitti as an example since he is argentine) is say when a player is on like break to the net or something and the commentators are like VITTI,VITTI,VITTI,VITTI,VITTI,VITTI,VITTI,VITTI,VI TTI,VITTI,VITTI,VITTI,VITTI, GOAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TFC USA
07-14-2009, 09:30 PM
I think the CONCACAF Gold Cup guys are going to be the new voices of TFC! :D

That way you'll get your GOL! GOL! GOL!!!! And learn about your new midfielder, Julio De Rosario. :D

FluSH
07-14-2009, 10:26 PM
I think the CONCACAF Gold Cup guys are going to be the new voices of TFC! :D

That way you'll get your GOL! GOL! GOL!!!! And learn about your new midfielder, Julio De Rosario. :D

If they are the guys that did the El Salvador vs J.A. game... just shoot me now.

The main commentator was just slightly above mediocre... but he kept on embarrasing the colour commentator by catching him and magnifying his B.S.

...and with that said the colour commentator B.S.'ed the entire match and sounded like he was in a basement. At one point he even invented a word... Federest... the main commentator dragged him through the mud soon after.

romburgundy
07-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Totally agree w/ flush here and not only for TFC but for Canada games too. Anyone else notice that forest is afraid of sounding bias so instead he sounds like a Canada hater.

Case and point: my wife who barely watches any football with me will not watch a game commentated by Craig forest .
She will however drop by every few minutes and yell at the TV and I quote "You suck Forest, You suck"

romburgundy
07-15-2009, 09:58 AM
You suck Forest

profit89
07-15-2009, 10:20 AM
The Univision guys are the best. Spanish.

sampace
07-17-2009, 09:25 AM
They should screen the next announcers for TFC, and if they can't say GOOOALL. Or act more partisan towards the team they are covering, they are not selected.