PDA

View Full Version : Becks calls Landycakes unprofessional

Bobo
07-12-2009, 12:43 PM
http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul12j.html

Can't you tell how badly he wants to return to LA?

London
07-12-2009, 12:58 PM
they said on world socer daily that they were going to have a sit dowm conversation between the two of them when he returns to LA

sulfur
07-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Apparently he was in the press box watching the game last night.

Yohan
07-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Apparently he was in the press box watching the game last night.
yep. with zidane

flatpicker
07-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Should Landycakes call out a fellow teammate publicly... probably not.

But, regarding Becky's comments in that article:
When he first came to America, I actually bought into his claim that he wanted to elevate MLS to a higher level and increase awareness of soccer in America.

But now he says he needs to play at the highest level... and he asks who could blame him?
He is totally going back on his word and I am bothered by that.
He seems to have no idea what he wants out of life.
Or, he has no control over his life and he was forced by his wife and representatives to come to America.
Either way, Becks needs to stop fucking around.

twistedchinaman
07-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Good evening Mr Beckham. We have three words for you.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Look it up if your big inflated head didn't get it.

rocker
07-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Should Landycakes call out a fellow teammate publicly... probably not.

But, regarding Becky's comments in that article:
When he first came to America, I actually bought into his claim that he wanted to elevate MLS to a higher level and increase awareness of soccer in America.

But now he says he needs to play at the highest level... and he asks who could blame him?
He is totally going back on his word and I am bothered by that.
He seems to have no idea what he wants out of life.
Or, he has no control over his life and he was forced by his wife and representatives to come to America.
Either way, Becks needs to stop fucking around.

yeah, I don`t know what`s going on in Becks`head, or whether he just changed his mind after coming to MLS, but he seems to talk out of both sides of his mouth publicly. He`s like those people who tell you what you want to hear, not what he really thinks. When he`s doing an MLS press conference it`s ``I wanna grow the game in America... I love being here, MLS is a good standard, my family loves America``... then when he goes back to Europe it`s ``MLS isn`t good enough, I need to be playing at a high level, blah blah blah.``

If he indeed made the wrong decision, then deal with it buddy! You came to MLS too early, admit it. You've made more than enough cash to buy out your final 6 months of your MLS contract. Do it.
I guess another analogy is when a guy has 2 girlfriends... he can't give up the old one, but wants the new one. so he sticks with both!

Yohan
07-12-2009, 01:55 PM
only thing that concerns me about this fiasco is whether Becks and rest of LA Gals get over this and make a push for playoffs

because Becks that wants to play plus Donovan and Buddle is a scary combo. Add in a competent coach and ok defence, and you might have potential cup contenders

and Becks is gone after this season anyways, so remains to be see whether he gives a damn for another 5 months

twistedchinaman
07-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I guess another analogy is when a guy has 2 girlfriends... he can't give up the old one, but wants the new one. so he sticks with both!

Sadly he's already left the first gf/bf, but he's gotta stay because there's a puppy that he wants to take care of before he leaves for good. So that's why he's begrudgingly coming back here.

Shut the fuck up Beckham, you twat.

twistedchinaman
07-12-2009, 02:04 PM
...and Becks is gone after this season anyways, so remains to be see whether he gives a damn for another 5 months

The first game, and our game down in LA, will show. But it sounds like he's not that thrilled already. I don't expect him to be any different.

Don Julio
07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
He never wanted to come here.. When he signed the contract he thought his career was in decline, and thought the only way to stay famous was by coming here. Even before he came, after signing, when he was turning it around in Spain he was trying to weasel out of it.

Now he's forced to do another few months. Pretty embarrassing for LA letting him on the squad with the way he's treated them.

It's not that complicated.

Dirk Diggler
07-12-2009, 02:26 PM
I used to think that Beckham is a class act guy who despite his reputation, is down to earth and does not cause disruption. However, throughout this fiasco, it really seems that he has been a passive disruption ala Wince Carter. Wince wasn't a stereotypical cancer or anything ... he said all the right things, he donated to charities, he took part in community events, he didn't get in trouble with the law, was well liked by the people in the locker room etc.

Either way, if I was a Galaxy fan, I'd feel the same way I felt when Vince Carter asked to be traded ... betrayed. Beckham should learn to shut up and accept that fact. He needs to apologize to everyone and say that he screwed up. He can continue on playing in Milan but he owes LA and MLS that much.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Good evening Mr Beckham. We have three words for you.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Not that I disagree with you on this, but the same thing could be said for Landycakes. He hasn't exactly got a rep for being the most sportsmanlike player in the league...

Super
07-12-2009, 02:39 PM
I really think they should release Beckham right away. I understand that he made a mistake coming to the MLS, but at least own up to it and find a solution that would see him go to AC Milan permanently. I get it, the money offered were huge, but people make mistakes - we all do.

Now, imagine if JDG joined us and left in January to play for AC Milan as well. Only to extend his visit, and come back in July - and then left again in January. We don't deserve that. Nor does LA. But I don't blame Becks. Like I said, we all make mistakes - and take jobs that turns out to not be what we expected. And heck, better opportunities come around. So FFS let the man go and move on.

ensco
07-12-2009, 02:48 PM
For me, Donovan is the bigger villain in this episode. No excuse for what he did.

As for the bigger question, is Beckham a jerk? Maybe, but I need to see more people than Donovan say it. Becks has lived up to his contractual obligations, you know.

Oldtimer
07-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Becks has lived up to his contractual obligations, you know.

That's not saying much. Everyone who knows anything about Don Garber knows that he would have MLS' lawyers after him if he didn't, not to mention AEG's lawyers.

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Beckham is right to call it unprofessional, even if everything Landycakes said is true. You don't neglect to ever talk to Becks about it, and then spill your guts in a tell-all book. That's total weaksauce.

- Scott

ensco
07-12-2009, 05:53 PM
That's not saying much. Everyone who knows anything about Don Garber knows that he would have MLS' lawyers after him if he didn't, not to mention AEG's lawyers.

Actually, it is saying something quite relevant. Beckham has and is living up to his commitment. There was nothing in that contract about being friendly to Landon Donovan, or anyone else.

Also, you're seriously saying that Beckham was afraid of MLS and/or Garber? Come on. The more logical take on this, is that the contract was well written and is airtight.

I hope Donovan likes it in MLS. He is now finished in Europe. It's a "he said, she said" story, and Beckham will be the one who has been wronged in the minds of the people that count over there. It's not even going to be a close call, given that Landon decided to unburden himself in the way that he did.

Davenport
07-12-2009, 06:17 PM
I really think they should release Beckham right away. I understand that he made a mistake coming to the MLS, but at least own up to it and find a solution that would see him go to AC Milan permanently. I get it, the money offered were huge, but people make mistakes - we all do.

Now, imagine if JDG joined us and left in January to play for AC Milan as well. Only to extend his visit, and come back in July - and then left again in January. We don't deserve that. Nor does LA. But I don't blame Becks. Like I said, we all make mistakes - and take jobs that turns out to not be what we expected. And heck, better opportunities come around. So FFS let the man go and move on.

What people seem to forget is that Beckham paid some of the fee required for him to play for an extended period in Milan.
If that doesn't tell you he's desperate to get out I don't know what would.
Trying to wriggle out of a contract that he signed just for the money shows a real lack of class.
Donovan had every right to say what he did.
If you play with fire you're going to get burned...hence Beckham's singed skinny arse.

flambe
07-12-2009, 06:27 PM

The only thing beckham has done that is worthy of any critisism in my opinion is thinking that one pleyer (himself) would help elevate MLS to a higher level. The overall quality of the play is MLS needs far more than one players influence to increase it.

I would consider him as one of the most professional players in profesional footy. In terms of the Milan issue, can you blame him? He came to MLS for a reason. It didn't work. The England coach told him he wouldn't be able to play for for his national team if he stayed in the MLS. Says a lot about the league right there.

And before anyone busts my balls about why the hell I watch the MLS, the reason is simple, it's the only option I have to watch live footy.

/*rant over*/

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Says a lot about the league right there

It says we aren't a top flight league, and the sooner we realize that's completely acceptable, the better.

- Scott

twistedchinaman
07-12-2009, 07:36 PM
It says we aren't a top flight league, and the sooner we realize that's completely acceptable, the better.

- Scott

+1. MLS can't, won't and never going to be the EPL, La Liga or Serie A. The faster we accept this, the better.

twistedchinaman
07-12-2009, 07:37 PM
What people seem to forget is that Beckham paid some of the fee required for him to play for an extended period in Milan.
Trying to wriggle out of a contract that he signed just for the money shows a real lack of class.
If you play with fire you're going to get burned...hence Beckham's singed skinny arse.

For what it's worth and how much of a douche he's been...Donovan IS right. Can't believe I would ever say that. :facepalm:

King Tut
07-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Landon Donovan is a douchebag!

Super
07-12-2009, 08:00 PM

I agree, but I still wouldn't be so hard on Beckham, though. People make mistakes and should be allowed to move on to bigger and better things. We all take jobs in life, and sometimes we take jobs JUST because it pays better than our previous jobs. Granted, we're not talking massive cash like Becks here, but still I don't fault the guy for wanting to move on.

DichioTFC
07-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Screw Landyman and screw Becks. The people I feel for are the LA Galaxy fans. They had to be overwhelmingly optimistic after the Becks signing and they've suffered two years of underwhelming disappointment. Now they get an ongoing soap opera.

Imagine if that shit happened with TFC? We would lose our shit. Those two need to shut up and play. And for the love of God, someone pay for Landycakes' dinner so he doesnt have to cry about it in a book later.

DichioTFC
07-12-2009, 08:11 PM
+1. MLS can't, won't and never going to be the EPL, La Liga or Serie A. The faster we accept this, the better.

True, MLS wont be that elite, but a quality league with talented and dedicated players is all I think most of us ask for.

ilikemusic
07-12-2009, 08:12 PM
As has been said, even if everything Landycakes said was true (and I think it was), it doesnt mean it wasnt a completely unprofessional thing to do.

You dont call out your own teammate like that (even if they treating your team like a training squad).

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Well, I see TSN is reporting this "story" now too. Great. Probably one of the only times in my life I will ever hear Landycakes' name on TSN.

Seriously though, Donovan should have spoken directly to Beckham if there were issues. Having it come out through a 3rd party book is just immature. And the timing was about as bad as it gets.

So now they will either work this out, or Beckham will get released from his contract. Those are the only two outcomes I see. My guess is Beckham just sucks it up and plays out his contract, but he didn't sound like he was looking to reconcile from the quotes I've read today.

- Scott

Roogsy
07-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Meh...Becks is leaving and Landycakes has nothing to lose to simply let the world know the real story of what went on.

I am ok with that. Becks screwed the Galaxy. They sold their soul to bring him in, a previously successful MLS team all of a sudden became a laughing stock because they couldn't do anything else after having given him everything including the kitchen sink. Not only that...instead of coming in and simply playing, he decided he was going to try to be the defacto GM of the Galaxy and run the show. Landycakes simply let everyone know where the blame lied on why the Galaxy now sucked and I for one, as a soccer fan and previously a Beckham fan am glad to know the truth.

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 08:32 PM
He'd have nothing to lose if Becks was already gone. He still has to play with the guy for half a season.

If this rift fucks up their team chemistry, and puts their season down the tubes, he will regret it.

- Scott

ensco
07-12-2009, 08:33 PM
^You think anyone "knows" the truth now? Because Landon Donovan says that's what happened?

It's not enough for me.

I think people on this side of the pond are reflexively siding with the MLS guy. I'd wait and see.

soccer69
07-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't call him Landycakes any longer. This summer he has earned the right to be called by his given Name. To heck with Beckham he's a tool.

Roogsy
07-12-2009, 08:37 PM
^You think anyone "knows" the truth now? Because Landon Donovan says that's what happened?

It's not enough for me.

I think people on this side of the pond are reflexively siding with the MLS guy. I'd wait and see.

From what I have seen and read, I'd have to think there is a good chance the Landycakes story has a decent chance of being true.

And for me, it has nothing to do with whatever side of the pond I am on.

Yohan
07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Keep in mind how much of all this drama is Beckham's fault, and how much of it is the travelling circus that is Beckham's entourage

Super
07-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Hmm, makes me wonder if they are working on a deal to get rid of Beckham. I just can't see how they can keep him now with all this crap being thrown around. I for one wouldn't want to keep a player who wanted to be somewhere else. Might as well get rid of him now and save the money - and then bring in a guy who really wants to be there.

ensco
07-12-2009, 08:48 PM
From what I have seen and read, I'd have to think there is a good chance the Landycakes story has a decent chance of being true.

I'm curious, what have you "seen and read" that the rest of us haven't?

There's the SI story, Beckham's statement today, and....

Redcoe15
07-12-2009, 08:53 PM
L.A. should have just cut their losses and let him stay in Milan. No good is going to come from this.

Nuvinho
07-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Hmm, makes me wonder if they are working on a deal to get rid of Beckham. I just can't see how they can keep him now with all this crap being thrown around. I for one wouldn't want to keep a player who wanted to be somewhere else. Might as well get rid of him now and save the money - and then bring in a guy who really wants to be there.

LA trades him to the NYRB's for a allocation money/supplementary draft pick for rest of the summer (I know, I know.....there is no more supplementary draft).

backbeat
07-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Donovan's full of shit as far as i'm concerned - he'd be at Bayern Munich in a flash if he could; begging and pleading to be let out of his contract - pot calling the kettle black is Donovan.

as well Beckham has said he wants to remain part of the Galaxy and help build MLS down the road but realizing he can still potentially make 2010 and knowing he has to play at the top level wants to continue in italy - and who the fuck wouldn't - Landon would be there in a flash if he could, but...BUT...he can't - Jealous Guy.

prizby
07-12-2009, 09:27 PM
"It’s unprofessional in my eyes," slammed a furious Beckham. "In every soccer players' eyes throughout the world, it would be unprofessional to speak out about your teammates, especially in the Press and not to your face.

"For 17 years, I’ve played for the biggest teams in the world, I’ve played with the biggest players and icons of our sport and icons of our time, and the strongest and biggest managers in soccer and not once in 17 years have I been criticized for my professionalism.”

sorry becks, but maybe no one has had to balls before to publically speak out against you...you have yet to deny that Donavon is correct, and lets be honest, if he was a better teammate, then wouldn't Landycakes have said nothing, or better yet, i bet if Beckham was half the teammate he should be, Landycakes might actually PRAISE him publically!

Roogsy
07-12-2009, 09:29 PM
I totally believe if Bayern would've wanted Donovan, he would be gone. But to me that's not the issue. While he is at LA, he is committed to the team, which means being committed to being a part of the team. Anyone who has played a team sport at any level knows the importance of having a team that is gelling has a direct bearing on how successful you are. And Beckham is upsetting that balance. Not because he is a star or filthy rich...I think the Galaxy players could've handled that...but the way he has carried himself and influenced the team since arriving. There is a reason Alex Rodriguez hasn't won a World Series ring. There is a reason Wayne Gretzky has a handful of rings. There is a reason why Terrell Owens doesn't have any Superbowl rings and why Michael Jordan was winning NBA championships at will. Truly great players know that team chemistry matters. How they go about getting that chemistry can come about different ways. But at the end of the day, the team has to play well together. Becks has never had to worry about that because while being a superstar, he was never the leader in the locker room. Here he demanded that position, got it and didn't know what to do with it. And now is wondering what went wrong. :noidea:

Yohan
07-12-2009, 09:31 PM
say what you will about Landycakes and his arrogance, but nothing in my books shows me that he's any less committed to the team he plays for, whether it's LA Galaxy or USMNT.

if he's there, under contract, he'll play his balls off

Roogsy
07-12-2009, 09:33 PM
^ I agree. He may be an asshole, but the guy is committed to the team he plays for. I never got that feeling from Becks with the Galaxy. And let's remember that it was also the case with Real Madrid until he was embarrassed by Capello and benched.

ensco
07-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't love Beckham. I never did. But people aren't thinking clearly.

If Beckham kept to himself, is a cheapskate, and wouldn't defend other guys against the coach at halftime (this last one is the most laughable accustation I've ever heard, btw)...well too bad. There are guys in the TFC room RIGHT NOW who could be found guilty of these "accusations".

If Beckham showed up to practice every day, and played when able.....then it's one man's word against another as to whether he "cared".

If Beckham had too much power/influence over the team, that's the fault of Leiweke, not Beckham.

Roogsy
07-12-2009, 09:42 PM
You are talking about someone who is supposed to be the captain of the team?

If he was just any other player...hey...fine by me. But when a player demands to wear the captain armband...everyone, and in particular the guy who lost the armband, expects Mark Messier to step up. And we've seen he ain't no Mark Messier that's for sure.

As for the AEG issue...yes...they have some blame as well.

ensco
07-12-2009, 09:46 PM
You are talking about someone who is supposed to be the captain of the team?

If he was just any other player...hey...fine by me. But when a player demands to wear the captain armband...everyone, and in particular the guy who lost the armband, expects Mark Messier to step up. And we've seen he ain't no Mark Messier that's for sure.

As for the AEG issue...yes...they have some blame as well.

We agree on this. I have no problem with Donovan calling out Beckham as a captain. That's unusual, but not a cardinal sin, for me.

It was Donovan calling out Beckham as a teammate, while still a teammate that crossed the line. That's an unpardonable sin, far worse than anything Beckham is accused of.

What Euro team will ever allow Donovan into their locker room now? Not one with Beckham-type stars, that's for sure.

This'll haunt Donovan for the rest of his life.

Roogsy
07-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Probably...but then again, people have short memories. Management don't care about this as much as the players would and even then, if none of the players were friends with Becks, they probably won't care much. It's not like Donovan has a history of calling out players publicly. If he did, your statement would probably be more likely.

Roogsy
07-12-2009, 10:34 PM
By the way...I gotta agree with the Couch Slouch.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/norman_chad/07/12/slouch/index.html?eref=T1

3 partial seasons (including 3 no-shows in Toronto).
0 playoff appearances.

This guy thought he'd show up, kick a ball for a second and all of sudden he'd become saviour of soccer in America. He never thought he'd have to work for it. And he didn't. And now he's wondering what went wrong? :noidea:

TorCanSoc
07-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Do people forget Becks paid his way onto AC Milan? He bridged the financial gap to reach the deal. That's just sad. Dedicated to soccer in America, but would cough up some (what I'm guessing is) serious amounts of cash not to play there.

Landycakes is not off the hook either. Stirring sh*t to sell a book only his mom is going to buy? Come on?

thisisinternetclash
07-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Do people forget Becks paid his way onto AC Milan? He bridged the financial gap to reach the deal. That's just sad. Dedicated to soccer in America, but would cough up some (what I'm guessing is) serious amounts of cash not to play there.

Landycakes is not off the hook either. Stirring sh*t to sell a book only his mom is going to buy? Come on?

Why would you suggest that Donovan was deliberately giving incendiary quotes in order to encourage sales of a book that he didn't write and isn't in any way invested in? He was simply interviewed months ago and gave an honest account of his understanding of the situation at the time.

Yohan
07-12-2009, 11:37 PM
And it's not Landycakes writing this book, but Grant Wahl, who is a very credible soccer journalist in North America

thisisinternetclash
07-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Exactly. What separates this book from the myriad other unauthorized books about Beckham is that Wahl is actually a legitimate, accomplished writer and journalist. I'll purchase and read his book when it comes out.

james
07-12-2009, 11:42 PM
i think LA Galaxy, MLS and Beckham all made mistakes when bringing beckham to America.

Beckham thought his career was over playing for big Euro clubs and he thought MLS would be a walk in the park and would just come to America and kick a ball around and be a super star without putting much effort into it. Once he got to LA he soon realized he actually had to really try to hard to score goals, and his heart was still in playing for big clubs in Euro.

LA screwed up by thinking just by spending lots of money they would easily be a top club team in MLS. They seriously didnt have good mangement and didnt have the right players for the right positions working as a team. The team also didnt make Beckham travel with the team at all times and seems like they really didnt introduce Beckham to its team mates properly. It seems like LA didnt treat Beckham like other players on the team. They should of made Beckham work for his spot on the team. No matter what Beckham does or says hes still gonna start for LA, and thats not the way you should run a team, right now i would not start Beckham unless he truelly earns it by showing he wants to start.

MLS just wanted a famous player in the league to sell shit. It really makes the league look like shit when players dont want to play in the league after only 2 short seasons. I dont think they were looking at the quality of the league as a whole. What the league should do in the future is try to develop players or bring players in who they think can actually score goals and inprove the team they play for. Maybe bring in players like JDG who is well talented but maybe not world famous, but sure could become famous in MLS. A player who is still in there prime not at the end of there career. Have teams care much more about winning championships then worrying just about how many T-Shirts they will sell like they did with Beckham.

thisisinternetclash
07-13-2009, 12:01 AM
One particular point about Beckham at LA that I've very rarely seen or heard stated or even suggested:

It's unfair to say that Beckham showed up, whatever his motives are, with an attitude betraying any arrogance or apathy or unprofessionalism, or a belief that he was above the league or in some way uninvested in it.

I took a particular interest in the whole situation when Beckham first signed and began to play for the Galaxy, and he was surprisingly committed and intense in his play. His style of play was never going to be a particularly sensationalizable or saleable commodity, nor was it guaranteed to even be particularly effective surrounded by MLS calibre players. A fair few parties deserve blame for not presuming or even accounting for the possibility of Beckham failing to truly stand out (and to be fair he wasn't as poor as he's often made out to have been) surrounded by players who by and large simply weren't and aren't good enough to benefit from his service. Beckham himself possibly deserves some blame for being unable to adapt his play in a way that allowed his to be uniquely effective in a league comprised by objectively inferior players.

Regardless, he really did seem to try and really did appear emotionally invested for many of his early days in the league.

Eventually something changed. I went to watch LA play in Columbus last season, and he seemed lethargic and apathetic, which was striking considering he's made a career spanning multiple leagues and countries of trying much harder than casual fans expect or appreciate.

I think it's actually quite simple, and motivated by fewer insidious factors than people assume. I think he just didn't realize how poor the level of his teammates (which realistically wasn't even representative of the level of MLS, some of them were so poor) would be, and eventually his spirit was broken after seeing one too many passes and runs come to less than he might have expected.

Where you distribute and assign blame and scorn and pity at this point is up to you, but I think most people watching closely would have agreed, at the time, that he really did come into the league with the right attitude and sincerely try his best.

nascarguy
07-13-2009, 01:24 AM
if la comes back here I'll tell he to Shut the fuck up and go back to Milan. after he sign my RM shirt

Detroit_TFC
07-13-2009, 09:06 AM
The way AEG handed over the team to Fuller and his apparatus is disgusting. Fuller and company probably were laughing their ass off the whole time. Greedy impressario + greedy sports executives = screwed football fans.

Parkdale
07-13-2009, 09:21 AM
the real question....

who would read a Landycakes autobiography? seriously?

felipe
07-13-2009, 09:46 AM
I love David Beckham!

Really, who cares what Landon thinks about anything?

This is the only way that muckraker could think of to get people to buy his book - because noone would care other wise.

In hindsight, Becks probably wishes he had bought a few suppers...(you're rich, I'm poor - buy me something!) Pathetic

pubboy
07-13-2009, 10:08 AM
I love David Beckham!

This is the only way that muckraker could think of to get people to buy his book - because noone would care other wise.

In hindsight, Becks probably wishes he had bought a few suppers...(you're rich, I'm poor - buy me something!) Pathetic

Oh dear.... really ? :facepalm:

Hooligan69
07-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Beckham and Donovan should quit their bitching and get a room. :lol:

Darlofletch
07-13-2009, 01:57 PM
"It’s unprofessional in my eyes," slammed a furious Beckham. "In every soccer players' eyes throughout the world, it would be unprofessional to speak out about your teammates, especially in the Press and not to your face."

Who exactly did beckham say this to? obviously not the press. He's too professional for that.

Brooker
07-13-2009, 02:42 PM
"It’s unprofessional in my eyes," slammed a furious Beckham. "In every soccer players' eyes throughout the world, it would be unprofessional to speak out about your teammates, especially in the Press and not to your face."

Who exactly did beckham say this to? obviously not the press. He's too professional for that.

check and mate.

If Beckham showed up to practice every day, and played when able.....then it's one man's word against another as to whether he "cared".

he didn't show up to practice every day. what a captain.

Torontotonto
07-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I think Donovan is right to speak his mind, I'm sure the rest of the squad agree's. Beckham is just one big Sideshow.:scarf:

Roogsy
07-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I love David Beckham!

If this really is your position, then a) you haven't taken all the facts into consideration and b) you've misunderstood the rest of the facts.

Dirk Diggler
07-13-2009, 03:21 PM
If this really is your position, then a) you haven't taken all the facts into consideration and b) you've misunderstood the rest of the facts.

Agreed. I don't like Landon either but it is hard not to side with him if what is stated in the book is correct. It looks as if people are blindly coming into this thread and stating their support for Beckham without much regard for the facts.

DichioTFC
07-14-2009, 12:30 AM
i think a big point to this is that while he was on the English World Cup squad in 1998, the coach publicly accused him of being more interested in other pursuits than helping the squad win the World Cup.... fast forward 10 years later, with a greater reputation and less responsibility, not much has changed.

this is one of those news stories where NOBODY wins. Landyman comes out looking controversial and unprofessional (not to mention a tarnished reputation in Europe & Germany), while Beckham comes out looking like a spoiled, apathetic prima donna.

to be honest, if i were the LA coach, i would give Buddle the captain's armband.

and I dont blame Beckham, Landyman, Lalas, AEG, or anyone else. I blame MLS. THey should have had the foresight to see what was happening and stop it. They ruined a successful franchise in their second largest market.

Cashcleaner
07-14-2009, 12:35 AM
I shall make a bold prediction. Beckham is going to go back to Europe as soon as the Galaxy can let go of him and tell everyone the real story of the club and the league.

In the end, we could actual lose the credibility we so desired.

twistedchinaman
07-14-2009, 12:35 AM
i think a big point to this is that while he was on the English World Cup squad in 1998, the coach publicly accused him of being more interested in other pursuits than helping the squad win the World Cup.... fast forward 10 years later, with a greater reputation and less responsibility, not much has changed.

this is one of those news stories where NOBODY wins. Landyman comes out looking controversial and unprofessional (not to mention a tarnished reputation in Europe & Germany), while Beckham comes out looking like a spoiled, apathetic prima donna.

to be honest, if i were the LA coach, i would give Buddle the captain's armband.

and I dont blame Beckham, Landyman, Lalas, AEG, or anyone else. I blame MLS. THey should have had the foresight to see what was happening and stop it. They ruined a successful franchise in their second largest market.

From the breadbasket to the basketcase. One has to feel for the LA Riot Squad...seriously Becky boy, just finish and then go away to your villa in the Balearic Islands when you retire, and forget LA.

twistedchinaman
07-14-2009, 12:37 AM
I shall make a bold prediction. Beckham is going to go back to Europe as soon as the Galaxy can let go of him and tell everyone the real story of the club and the league.

We actually had cred in Europe's eyes?

Yohan
07-14-2009, 01:43 AM
apparently Becks and landycakes kissed and made up

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=660649&cc=5901

Cashcleaner
07-14-2009, 01:46 AM
We actually had cred in Europe's eyes?

I think most people over there are unaware with exactly how the league and its teams operate. I always seem to get the impression that they think we're not on the radar because we simply don't have good players. We all know there's a lot more going on then just a bit of a lack of talent. Actually, thinking about it now, talent isn't really the problem at all. :D

The Kingpin
07-14-2009, 02:00 AM

BINGO!! You should hear Ruud Gullit talk about "American Soccer" and the MLS. You guys don't hear about it over there, but his reason for leaving was how "Mickey Mouse" the league is and it's run that way. He also regularly criticizes how unknowledgeable soccer fans are in the US. Now that is the irritating Ruud Gullit... Wait until Beckham chimes in... I said this way back on Red Patch Live! The Goldenballs experiment screamed of NASL and it cemented the fact that Garber is a complete fool.

The Kingpin
07-14-2009, 02:03 AM
I think most people over there are unaware with exactly how the league and its teams operate. I always seem to get the impression that they think we're not on the radar because we simply don't have good players. We all know there's a lot more going on then just a bit of a lack of talent. Actually, thinking about it now, talent isn't really the problem at all. :D

The MLS has zero credence here - I work at a sports agency - and I have to explain who is in the league outside of Beckham. It's considered... Well it's just not considered. I was talking to Lee Sharpe last week, and he was taking the mick on the "announcing", wondering how anyone could listen to that.

James17930
07-14-2009, 03:42 AM
It looks like his plan is to go back to Europe every off-season -- or at least maybe until after next year's World Cup:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8149133.stm

Oldtimer
07-14-2009, 07:40 AM
BINGO!! You should hear Ruud Gullit talk about "American Soccer" and the MLS. You guys don't hear about it over there, but his reason for leaving was how "Mickey Mouse" the league is and it's run that way. He also regularly criticizes how unknowledgeable soccer fans are in the US. Now that is the irritating Ruud Gullit... Wait until Beckham chimes in... I said this way back on Red Patch Live! The Goldenballs experiment screamed of NASL and it cemented the fact that Garber is a complete fool.

A bit too strong there. Sure, it didn't work out, but with a different attitude on Beckham's part, it could have. Hindsight is 20/20. People were saying that the move was a brilliant move when it happened.

BTW, it was AEG who brought Beckham in. Garber just tweaked the rules to allow for a DP, and that made it happen.

While Beckham was a disaster (on the field), the DP experiment seems to have been a plus overall.

rocker
07-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Ruud Gullit is a piece of shit. He didn't seem to do any homework on the actual nature of MLS before he showed up. He walked in like the King and then he's surprised about MLS rules? hahaha. A simple perusal of the MLS Wikipedia page would have given him all he needed to know. But I have a sense he was looking for a paycheque more than anything. I mean, some of his comments about the level of talent and the college players are just things you have to accept in MLS right now. This isn't England, for god's sakes.

Garber's DP rule is perfectly fine (my tweaking would be to add a second one so teams don't have as much risk... whenever you can have only 1 of something, you are scaring people away from using it, particularly given the cap hit.). It's up to teams to decide to use it or not. Some have done fine without it.

The Goldenballs experiment has little to do with Garber and everything to do with management at LA.

felipe
07-14-2009, 09:00 AM
How can you blame Becks?

From Dono's own admission - Becks came in with the right attitude and worked really hard

And then the MLS wore him down - it would be very disheartening to play with a bunch of muppets - I know quite a few players who quit playing for a while when their collegiate careers ended - it just wasn't the same calibre after and just frustrated them too much to play - albeit its at lesser levels but still a direct comparison

Becks and Gullit (in their minds) came as saviours to soccer in USA and their advice were ignored or thwarted at every turn when they tried to make a difference - they came with best intentions to make a positive difference - sure arrogant, but they are world famous personalities.

Direct comparison - lets say Gretzky ran over to England to help out their ice hockey league - and then they gave him echl calibre players to play with - sure he'd work hard for a while - and then his spirit would eventually break. And Brian Burke went over too to show them how to build a succesful ice hockey franchsie - only to have his hands tied by confusing rules. I guarantee he'd freak out, quit, send alarming interviews back to Canada, and belittle English ice hockey fans. (They came to see my club in toronto? Whats wrong with the people over here? I'm Brian Burke! Why don't they know what an offside is?)

And Dono has apologised - he just doesn't do that - especially after the captaincy 'drama' - he's more arrogant than any of them. So obviously he stirred the pot to sell a book that noone outside his immediate family would otherwise be interesteed in.

Besides, the Beckham was a great success for the MLS. It sure rasied the league's profile over here.

DichioTFC
07-14-2009, 09:07 AM
How can you blame Becks?

From Dono's own admission - Becks came in with the right attitude and worked really hard

And then the MLS wore him down - it would be very disheartening to play with a bunch of muppets - I know quite a few players who quit playing for a while when their collegiate careers ended - it just wasn't the same calibre after and just frustrated them too much to play - albeit its at lesser levels but still a direct comparison

Becks and Gullit (in their minds) came as saviours to soccer in USA and their advice were ignored or thwarted at every turn when they tried to make a difference - they came with best intentions to make a positive difference - sure arrogant, but they are world famous personalities.

Direct comparison - lets say Gretzky ran over to England to help out their ice hockey league - and then they gave him echl calibre players to play with - sure he'd work hard for a while - and then his spirit would eventually break. And Brian Burke went over too to show them how to build a succesful ice hockey franchsie - only to have his hands tied by confusing rules. I guarantee he'd freak out, quit, send alarming interviews back to Canada, and belittle English ice hockey fans. (They came to see my club in toronto? Whats wrong with the people over here? I'm Brian Burke! Why don't they know what an offside is?)

And Dono has apologised - he just doesn't do that - especially after the captaincy 'drama' - he's more arrogant than any of them. So obviously he stirred the pot to sell a book that noone outside his immediate family would otherwise be interesteed in.

Besides, the Beckham was a great success for the MLS. It sure rasied the league's profile over here.

Its true, its the Vince McMahon strategy, any publicity is good publicity.

Dirk Diggler
07-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Ruud Gullit is a piece of shit. He didn't seem to do any homework on the actual nature of MLS before he showed up. He walked in like the King and then he's surprised about MLS rules? hahaha. A simple perusal of the MLS Wikipedia page would have given him all he needed to know. But I have a sense he was looking for a paycheque more than anything. I mean, some of his comments about the level of talent and the college players are just things you have to accept in MLS right now. This isn't England, for god's sakes.

Garber's DP rule is perfectly fine (my tweaking would be to add a second one so teams don't have as much risk... whenever you can have only 1 of something, you are scaring people away from using it, particularly given the cap hit.). It's up to teams to decide to use it or not. Some have done fine without it.

The Goldenballs experiment has little to do with Garber and everything to do with management at LA.

Exactly ... he came in here thinking MLS is probably just League 1 ... in terms of talent, that may be true ... but the nature of the league is completely different. A poor manager like him with no desire to succeed or adapt will get eaten alive out here every time ... if anyone is "mickey mouse", it is him. Its not like teams were lining up to sign him before or after he came to the MLS.

thisisinternetclash
07-14-2009, 11:26 AM
felipe, that's a great post.

One thing, though: I really hope it doesn't become the consensus opinion that Donovan gave that interview as some calculated attempt to boost book sales. It's not his book! He didn't write it. He's not profiting in any way from this. He just gave one honest interview about six months ago.

Roogsy
07-14-2009, 11:34 AM

That's the second time you've posted that. How about a quick read of the other posts to become more informed and figure out that it isn't Donovan's book and he has no economic interest in it's success?

felipe
07-14-2009, 11:46 AM
well...there goes my logic...

ActuallyI read all the other posts...it just didn't click in...

Blinded by my singleminded hatred of all things donovan, I guess...

He's still a douche...

And he made a poor decision to say those things - he's clearly blinded by his jealousy of all things Beckham

Steve
07-14-2009, 12:00 PM
well...there goes my logic...

ActuallyI read all the other posts...it just didn't click in...

Blinded by my singleminded hatred of all things donovan, I guess...

He's still a douche...

And he made a poor decision to say those things - he's clearly blinded by his jealousy of all things Beckham

And what are you blinded by?

So Grant Wahl, a respected and accomplished sports writer, puts out a book with interviews by many people involved in the story (players, owners, interested parties, etc), as well as background research, and you dismiss it out of hand because you don't like Donovan (who, by the way, was in a front row seat for the whole circus)? Now, I'm not saying the whole thing is correct, but I have to give Grant Wahl the benefit of the doubt and assume he wouldn't put out a book based on nothing but a player's "jealousy of all things Beckham".

So, do you have a reason to (without having read the book) call bullshit on the whole thing aside from a hatred of all things Donovan (or a love of all things Beckham)?

Detroit_TFC
07-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Gullit is a twat. He was probably sold a bill of goods by Beckham's people when he was hired (now that the truth is out that 19 Entertainment brought him in and not AEG/Lalas). He should be mad at them, not at MLS; or at himself - for going into a league without a clue, or for being ineffectual when he was here.

Cashcleaner
07-14-2009, 12:07 PM
How can you blame Becks?

I think this is exactly what happened. Just think of how people like you you or I go about our jobs at work. If you work for a boss who is willing to listen to your ideas and is open to new ideas, you feel good and you feel like you are valued by your employer. But when you work for someone who just wants you to keep your head down and don't ask questions, you'll probably feel like another cog in the machine.

Dirk Diggler
07-14-2009, 12:14 PM
And what are you blinded by?

So Grant Wahl, a respected and accomplished sports writer, puts out a book with interviews by many people involved in the story (players, owners, interested parties, etc), as well as background research, and you dismiss it out of hand because you don't like Donovan (who, by the way, was in a front row seat for the whole circus)? Now, I'm not saying the whole thing is correct, but I have to give Grant Wahl the benefit of the doubt and assume he wouldn't put out a book based on nothing but a player's "jealousy of all things Beckham".

So, do you have a reason to (without having read the book) call bullshit on the whole thing aside from a hatred of all things Donovan (or a love of all things Beckham)?

Probably not.

ensco
07-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Interesting that Arena was at that meeting between the two, and that it was made known that he was there.

Donovan had to apologize, because he was wrong to say out loud that Beckham is a bad teammate. I'll wager Arena made sure of it.

I feel sorry for the other players in that room. It can't be a good atmosphere in there.

MUFC_Niagara
07-14-2009, 01:47 PM
"For 17 years, I’ve played for the biggest teams in the world, I’ve played with the biggest players and icons of our sport and icons of our time, and the strongest and biggest managers in soccer and not once in 17 years have I been criticized for my professionalism.”

Translation: Who the fuck is Landon Donovan???

flatpicker
07-14-2009, 01:54 PM
so that situation is now over... they have kissed an made up.

but now fan590 says that Beckham is entertaining offers from England.

this guy can never make up his mind!!!

I think he is doing whatever he can to stay away from MLS.

Man, I wouldn't be surprised if he finished his career in League One rather than play in MLS again!

jabbronies
07-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I think TFC has gained the most from the whole Beckham experiement. I mean we're in the fucking 4-4-2 magazine for fuck sakes!!! :P

SoccMan
07-14-2009, 02:21 PM
I think peope need to realize that more or less the way the MLS is today, in terms of popularity is as good as it gets people. I think with the addition of Philadelphia, Portland, Vancouver and Montreal one day soon, the MLS will gain some decent markets and you will see a bit of a spike in attendance and maybe popularity. This might help in raising the salary cap a bit but nothing to crazy. Also, as more teams get their own stadiums this might also help in those teams making more money and also help a little in attendance. However, for all you people with season tickets who think that this league will become big time rivaling the NHL, MLB,NBA and the NFL it never will, so you might aswell give up your season's now and go back to doing whatever you were doing before TFC. If you can accept the MLS for what it is then by all means keep your seasons, however, if you can't then save your money and you will be all much happier. I'm just happy to follow a decent enough pro league here in North America with warts and all, because the alternative, being no league at all sucks having spent almost 12 years without this kind of lleague once the NASL folded back in 1984.

bangersandmash
07-14-2009, 02:21 PM
http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a812/a812_bm.gif

Oldtimer
07-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Beckham brought celebrity-watchers and soccer moms into the stands.

However, we brought in real support on a scale much larger than had been previously seen, and taught the league who to aim their product at.

Our value is: ($35 million/team x 18 teams existing/in the works today) - ($10 million/team x 13 teams when TFC joined and no-one else wanted a team) = $500 million to MLS, i.e. much more than Beckham (do you like my math? :)).