PDA

View Full Version : Post Game: TFC at SJ.

Yohan
07-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Very lucky to get 3 pts IMO, but I'll take it

Nuvinho
07-11-2009, 11:29 PM
ALL 3 goals from our strikers!!!

fdasilva
07-11-2009, 11:30 PM
yeah, we made a few mistakes in defense (as usual), and our third goal was very lucky, plus San Jose also made lots of mistakes... just glad we were on the right side of things today, and its 3 more points on the road to the playoffs!

Shakes McQueen
07-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Some of us are still watching the game, shithead! :D

I'll be back to comment on the end of the game, as soon as I can get the DeLorean up to 88mph.

- Scott

Nuvinho
07-11-2009, 11:35 PM
I was impressed by Vitti's ball control the entire game. It felt sometimes he wasn't even trying when getting around the SJ players.

TFC07
07-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Congrats Ryan Johnson for being San Jose MVP tonight. Your reward: winning a free haircut from SuperCuts in the bay area. lol

San Jose is such a shit club.

Anyway, TFC got 3 points on road. :scarf:

AdamZ
07-11-2009, 11:36 PM
yeah if Vitti continues playing like that this is gonna be a good second half of the season.

pat416
07-11-2009, 11:37 PM
WOO!!! Great game. Baby 1st place!!!!

Nuvinho
Barrett played like a man who may lose his job tonight ;)

TFC USA
First ever win against San Jose with our first ever goals against them.

Columbus and Seattle are up next as far as teams we've yet to beat.

billyfly
Big win. I have now seen Vitti score in person and now on TV.

Dirk Diggler
Good victory tonight. Good to see Barrett and Vitti hitting their strides.

P.S. You shouldn't post the result in the thread title. A generic title is usually sufficient as people are still watching the game or might have recorded it for later viewing.

billyfly
07-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Two goals from flicks into the air.

rocker
07-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Very lucky to get 3 pts IMO, but I'll take it

i dunno about lucky... the word lucky makes me think San Jose actually coulda had a win... TFC dominated San Jose overall and deserved the 3 points :)

It was really only a competitive match by San Jose for the first 40 minutes.

Nuvinho
07-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Defence is still horrible....if SJ were any good.....oh wait.......if that Campos guy was any good....he would of scored one or two.

We need Nana at RB and Wynne in the midfield or on the bench.

S_D
07-11-2009, 11:43 PM
So what happened to the SJ defender on Barrett's goal?

Did he crush his nuts while he was running? :D

rocker
07-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Defence is still horrible..

defence was MLS defence ;)

Nuvinho

I am suprised, Barrett actually got around Cannon.

Yohan
ratings

Frei: 7
-made good saves and looked confident on goal. couldn't do much on Huckerby goal

Wynne: 6
-defensively sucked. left Huckerby alone multiple times and lucky to get burned only once. offensive did ok. looks like he needs to get back into the groove after not having a match in few weeks

Garcia: 6
-got exposed a few times due to speed and strenth of SJ strikers. also made a big blunder that Compost failed to capitalize on. he did seem more vocal and defence was less bad than other road games

Attakora: 7
-worked his butt off. best TFC defender of the night. assisted on Vitti goal, showing good awareness. needs to grow more stronger as he couldn't handle Compost and Johnson, though didnt make any critical mistakes

Serioux: 6.5
-another decent outing. got really physical and only defender who didn't have trouble handling SJ strikers. however played LB so was less effective than as CB

Robinson: 7.5
-played DM role very well. SJ couldn't get anything going through centre most of the time. passing was pretty bad, but typical Robbo game

Brennan: 6.5
-played as LW and was ok. had trouble with Alvarez's speed, but offensively was very aware

Guevara: 6
-pretty bad game for Guevara. shooting was off, and couldn't get really involved in the game due to very conjested centre of the pitch. unlucky to score on a point blank shot that Cannon had to make a great save on

DeRosario: 6.5
-had a rough time on RW. was better in 2nd half. did assist on Barrett first goal. narrow pitch really hampered his direct running. his crossing and pass was not very good

Vitti: 7.5
-very good outing by Vitti as he got more confident, esp after the goal. bambuzzled SJ defenders a few times. he's slowing showing that he is worth keeping

Barrett: 8.5 (MoM)
-2 goals. One was nice awareness goal getting on DeRo's flick. 2nd goal was more lucky, but still didn't screw it up going around Cannon for easy tap in. got on end of crosses and passes. showed what he could do when his game is really on

Cummins: 7
-the game went more due to flow than Cummin's coaching, but he didn't make any critical mistakes

Subs
Dichio: 6
-came on late in the game, and did pretty much same.

Velez: n/a
-came in too late to have any effect on the game

Overall:
-got a bit lucky due to Pitchkolan having that injury for Barrett's 2nd goal. otherwise game could have been a draw. as expected, SJ's attack went through their flanks. Huckerby was very dangerous. Alvarez had an ok game. Johnson was also good for SJ

greatwhitenorf

Ran out of talent.

Fushida
07-11-2009, 11:45 PM
San Jose looked about as bad as the Shite Bulls in the 2nd half... and we all know how bad that is.

Poor SJ defender though... that's gotta be terrible. Getting injured AND be responsible for a goal....

rocker
07-11-2009, 11:47 PM
-got a bit lucky due to Pitchkolan having that injury for Barrett's 2nd goal. otherwise game could have been a draw.

why would it have been a draw? barrett's made it a 2 goal lead.

even if Pitchkolan doesn't collapse and give barrett a goal, it's still a 2-1 game.

greatwhitenorf
07-11-2009, 11:48 PM
There is a cockiness and swagger to Serioux's play that really seems to give the team an added element.

He's got a calm and settled attitude playing the ball and isn't afraid to beat players one on one to gain added space and time. Chooses good moments to come forward as well. And leaves a mark or two for added effect.

Very happy with his play.

Yohan
07-11-2009, 11:48 PM
why would it have been a draw? barrett's made it a 2 goal lead.
SJ was getting their chances just before Barrett's goal.

going two goal down pretty much took the steam out of SJ

BayernTFC
07-11-2009, 11:49 PM
It's a good sign when you win against teams that you are supposed to beat. Attakora is a real asset to the squad. His solid and reliable play allows the coaching staff to change formation and give different looks. He's very good man-to-man and his assist on Vitt's goal was a good physical header. I thought that Brennan played admirably on the wing and supplied a couple of exellent crosses in the first half. Robbo had a great game. He made a goal line save, made multiple clearances in the box, and his passes were on target. Vitti looked very dangerous throughout the second half. Yeah we were playing San Jose, but everyone was involved and we actually looked like we were playing as a team.

kitchener-TFC
07-11-2009, 11:50 PM
ALL 3 goals from our strikers!!!
Finally!
Good game from Toronto. The defence was a bit shaddy, and Brennan looked comfortable in mid field. The atmosphere in San Jose was like that of a daycare. All I heard were children yelling/crying.

Antoshka
ratings

-made good saves and looked confident on goal. couldn't do much on Huckerby goal

Wynne: 6
-defensively sucked. left Huckerby alone multiple times and lucky to get burned only once. offensive did ok. looks like he needs to get back into the groove after not having a match in few weeks

you give him someone who sucked a 6???? ill give him a 3 for showing up. he looked like he totally didnt belong with us. reminded me of that ali dia clip.

Garcia: 6
-got exposed a few times due to speed and strenth of SJ strikers. also made a big blunder that Compost failed to capitalize on. he did seem more vocal and defence was less bad than other road games

id give him a 5 for that blunder, that was embarrassing to watch

Attakora: 7
-worked his butt off. best TFC defender of the night. assisted on Vitti goal, showing good awareness. needs to grow more stronger as he couldn't handle Compost and Johnson, though didnt make any critical mistakes

Serioux: 6.5
-another decent outing. got really physical and only defender who didn't have trouble handling SJ strikers. however played LB so was less effective than as CB

Robinson: 7.5
-played DM role very well. SJ couldn't get anything going through centre most of the time. passing was pretty bad, but typical Robbo game

Brennan: 6.5
-played as LW and was ok. had trouble with Alvarez's speed, but offensively was very aware

Guevara: 6
-pretty bad game for Guevara. shooting was off, and couldn't get really involved in the game due to very conjested centre of the pitch. unlucky to score on a point blank shot that Cannon had to make a great save on

DeRosario: 6.5
-had a rough time on RW. was better in 2nd half. did assist on Barrett first goal. narrow pitch really hampered his direct running. his crossing and pass was not very good

Vitti: 7.5
-very good outing by Vitti as he got more confident, esp after the goal. bambuzzled SJ defenders a few times. he's slowing showing that he is worth keeping

Barrett: 8.5 (MoM)
-2 goals. One was nice awareness goal getting on DeRo's flick. 2nd goal was more lucky, but still didn't screw it up going around Cannon for easy tap in. got on end of crosses and passes. showed what he could do when his game is really on

lol, the first goal was good, but the second was a comedy of mistakes. id give him a 7.5

Cummins: 7
-the game went more due to flow than Cummin's coaching, but he didn't make any critical mistakes

Subs
Dichio: 6
-came on late in the game, and did pretty much same.

Velez: n/a
-came in too late to have any effect on the game

Overall:
-got a bit lucky due to Pitchkolan having that injury for Barrett's 2nd goal. otherwise game could have been a draw. as expected, SJ's attack went through their flanks. Huckerby was very dangerous. Alvarez had an ok game. Johnson was also good for SJ

need to write a message here so i can post it

Dbl_D
Quick someone make another "Columbus concaccaf cl" youtube video

"do you have any idea what he and pablo vitti are capable of doing, once they get going? It will be goal, after goal, after, goal, after goal!"

hahaha well done boyz

ironic?

Fushida
07-11-2009, 11:51 PM
i agree with yohan on robinson though. i'm usually very critical of him, but robbo played quite well defensively today. still not worth that salary though for being the player that he is IMO. but credit where its due.

andyc
07-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I think this was one of Robbos best games so far this year.. He won a lot of tight balls, broke up plays and I think his passing was above average tonight.

Barret got a couple of nice/lucky goals. Vitti looked good too but I'd choose Robinson for MotM..

Yohan
07-11-2009, 11:54 PM
I think this was one of Robbos best games so far this year.. He won a lot of tight balls, broke up plays and I think his passing was above average tonight.

Barret got a couple of nice/lucky goals. Vitti looked good too but I'd choose Robinson for MotM..
Robbo's passing, esp first half was pretty terrible.

Robbo also had a good game partially due to small field clogging midfield play, and also SJ having no legit CM playmaker. Both Elliott and McDonald are DMs

But still, Robbo will need that level of play again next week against Brad Davis and Houston

Nuvinho
07-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Brings up a question......about our D.

at CB.....would you rather have Nana-Serioux or Nana-Garcia or Garcia-Serioux.

I think Wynne has become a liability out there game after game defensively, offensively he does well. Jimmy B will always be at LB/LM.

rocker
07-11-2009, 11:56 PM
SJ was getting their chances just before Barrett's goal.

going two goal down pretty much took the steam out of SJ

i thought the steam was falling out of Huckerby before Barrett's goal. but we were up 2-1 so there's no reason to think it wouldn't have stayed that way anyway.

I don't really think "what if Pitchkolan doesn't go down". There's no need to qualify the game. we won 3-1. We've had games we've lost where flukey shit happens leading to a goal against. That's MLS.. I'm "zen" about these things :)

TheKing7
07-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Vitti impressed tonight and Barrett worked extremely hard. Considering he squandered a few chances and finished from the 6 and a 1v1 with the keeper its a good game for a striker. However for him, its a miracle...hopefully more to come!

greatwhitenorf
07-11-2009, 11:57 PM
You've also got to give TFC management some credit for not caving in to the constant carping of the 14-year-olds on here demanding that Vitti and Barrett be axed at once.

A little patience, small steps forward and suddenly, Vitti and Barrett are looking opportunistic and dangerous. They've both also had a great work ethic going for them, every game, without fail. Nice story starting to take shape.

TFC07
07-11-2009, 11:58 PM

I think Wynne has become a liability out there game after game defensively, offensively he does well. Jimmy B will always be at LB/LM.

Nana-Serioux is our best CB combo

Nuvinho
07-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Guevara also did well as a holding midfielder.

TFC07
07-11-2009, 11:59 PM
You've also got to give TFC management for not caving in to the carping of the 14-year-olds on here demanding that Vitti and Barrett be axed at once.

A little patience, small steps forward and suddenly, Vitti and Barrett are looking opportunistic and dangerous. They've both also had a great work ethic going for them, every game, without fail. Nice story starting to take shape.

Or maybe they played well tonight because they're fighting for their spot on starting lineup now that we have Gerba. :D

Yohan
07-12-2009, 12:00 AM

I want to see
Nana-Serioux-Garcia-Brennan (with a new LB signing in future)

Serioux is wasted at LB, plus he's not quick enough to chase down opposition wingers. He's more effective at CB

Wynne again tonight has proven to be a defensive liability

maybe play Wynne at RB at home only, since he seems to have less brainfart at BMO, but on the road, he's terrible

kitchener-TFC
07-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Quick someone make another "Columbus concaccaf cl" youtube video

"do you have any idea what he and pablo vitti are capable of doing, once they get going? It will be goal, after goal, after, goal, after goal!"

hahaha well done boyz

ironic?
Thats the first thing I thought of when Vitti scored today hahaha.

Nana-Serioux is our best CB combo
I agree.

andyc
07-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Robbo's passing, esp first half was pretty terrible.

I really don't agree with this. His completion % of passes was very high all game and his break up of plays was excellent. No big cross field passes clearly but that is NOT his role... He wins the ball and passes into the creative guys and then makes himself available for a return pass - real simple stuff in theory but hard to execute well.

He did this time and time again tonight... Field size helped but Robbo was all over the pitch tonight

Yohan
07-12-2009, 12:05 AM
so, tied for first place, but Chicago has a game in hand
DC and Columbus just behind 1 pt

KC is behind 4 pts, but has a game in hand

eastern conference is so exciting

greatwhitenorf
07-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Wynne at right wing would be his ideal position. Good ball winning ability one on one, great wheels to take on defenders and decent crosser. Plus speed to get back and defend.

He'll have much more influence on the game from midfield. Nana's showing that the RB spot is his to claim in the near future. But Wynne still has a lot to offer.

andyc
07-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Not sure that Serioux is a LB... Would much rather see him in the middle...

manic.street.preacher
07-12-2009, 12:08 AM
You've also got to give TFC management some credit for not caving in to the constant carping of the 14-year-olds on here demanding that Vitti and Barrett be axed at once.

^i second that motion, great match from both ... Frei was golden as per usual and Robbo also played solid, Brennan was pretty heads up on offence ... the back line is still a work in progress, honestly i'd forgotten about Wynne cos he's been gone so long and he was quite the shambles tonight, even his pace didn't make up for it

Yohan
07-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Wynne at right wing would be his ideal position. Good ball winning ability one on one, great wheels to take on defenders and decent crosser. Plus speed to get back and defend.

He'll have much more influence on the game from midfield. Nana's showing that the RB spot is his to claim in the near future. But Wynne still has a lot to offer.
except his mentality is so set on playing RB, that he has no clue when he's RW

plus his offensive game is more negated because opposition marks him better when they know that he's RW

his offensive runs are more effective, because he comes out of nowhere to sprint down, catching opposition LB unaware

I also think Wynne has a future as RW, but he needs to really learn how to play RW. and develop a better passing and crossing skill

BayernTFC
07-12-2009, 12:09 AM
His completion % of passes was very high all game and his break up of plays was excellent. No big cross field passes clearly but that is NOT his role... He wins the ball and passes into the creative guys and then makes himself available for a return pass - real simple stuff in theory but hard to execute well.

He did this time and time again tonight... Field size helped but Robbo was all over the pitch tonight
I agree with these comments completely. This is exactly what I observed.

Lennon
07-12-2009, 12:10 AM
We really need broadcasters that know how to broadcast soccer ... there is no need to zoom in so much on the player that has the ball ... then when a shot is taken the camera is swerved which makes it hard to follow the ball ... so frustrating ... no wonder TFC's rating on Sportsnet/The Score suck ...

Kevvv
07-12-2009, 12:20 AM
ratings

Overall:

(was the scale from 6 to 9?)

We really need broadcasters that know how to broadcast soccer ... there is no need to zoom in so much on the player that has the ball ... then when a shot is taken the camera is swerved which makes it hard to follow the ball ... so frustrating ... no wonder TFC's rating on Sportsnet/The Score suck ...

I don't think there's much of a connection, but you're right. Not that it's Sportsnet/Score's fault, they often pickup someone else's feed - Comcast in this case. But it's frustrating to watch. I'd like to see someone who has a feel for the game and can put on a broadcast that helps follow the flow.

That said, this was still better than the Gold Cup games, where they miss the build-up of plays because they're showing a coach or a replay. Worse, they use a low corner camera on corner kicks, but cut to the wide shot as the ball is in the air.

Lennon
07-12-2009, 12:24 AM
^^^

Yea maybe you're right. Although I sometimes get the feeling that if the game was presented better (better commentators, cameraman, stadiums) we could win over more euro snobs ...

manic.street.preacher
07-12-2009, 12:25 AM
^ :rofl:

Worse, they use a low corner camera on corner kicks, but cut to the wide shot as the ball is in the air.

ooo i hate when they do that :hulk:

Kevvv
07-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Incidentally, I'm glad Sportsnet showed the game on a delay, rather than trashing the first ten minutes. If they had, they would have pissed off the vast majority who watched the game on TV only, and not on a stream (and who would have missed seeing Chad Barrett open the scoring). The only people adversely affected were sharing a thread with people watching in real time:

Damn, we need two threads - one for people watching streams, the other for people watching 10 minutes in the past.

Yohan
07-12-2009, 12:26 AM

nobody did really really crap :drinking:

well, i should have given wynne a 5 for leaving Huckerby open for pretty much the whole game but he did ok offensively so eh

Blizzard
07-12-2009, 12:27 AM

Well, they're not on the Score at all this year but point taken.

To be fair though, let's place the blame where it is due. Today's game was produced by Comcast. Sportsnet had no say on the camera call apart from their one camera up in the booth with Craig and Gerry.

Bobo
07-12-2009, 12:28 AM

He's a "chicken".

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dke75BFdVHM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dke75BFdVHM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kevvv
07-12-2009, 12:29 AM
^^^

Yea maybe you're right. Although I sometimes get the feeling that if the game was presented better (better commentators, cameraman, stadiums) we could win over more euro snobs ...

It would certainly help. Nigel Reed has done well at CBC, but I don't see Gerry & Craig rising to his level.

Kevvv
07-12-2009, 12:32 AM
nobody did really really crap :drinking:

well, i should have given wynne a 5 for leaving Huckerby open for pretty much the whole game but he did ok offensively so eh

OK, but Serioux 6.5, Garcia 6... seems a bit of hair-splitting

Super
07-12-2009, 12:34 AM
So next weekend is Houston at home at 1pm followed by Canada vs. Houston in the Gold Cup at 5pm. That's what I call a great day of footy. This is the first time I've been happy with an early start to a TFC game as well.

Let's give Barrett some props!

Yohan
07-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Let's give Barrett some props!
for getting 2 out of 4 easy/semi easy chances in?

yes! :D

that's certainly better than 1 goal to 10 amazing chances ratio ;)

Super
07-12-2009, 12:39 AM
for getting 2 out of 4 easy/semi easy chances in?

yes! :D

that's certainly better than 1 goal to 10 amazing chances ratio ;)

I really think positioning is his greatest strength - and goals are goals. I tip my hat off to anyone giving us goals. Sure he misses a lot of chances, but if he put in even half of those he'd be in the Premier League by now anyway. Regardless, I'm just over the moon about 3 goals from our strikers. That's so un-TFC-like! :)

Kevvv
07-12-2009, 12:40 AM

I thought maybe groin strain, hernia even. Can't find anything on the SJ site (TFC site has video from today up, SJ nothing).

Yohan
07-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Regardless, I'm just over the moon about 3 goals from our strikers. That's so un-TFC-like! :)
I thought we all agreed that Vitti and Barrett are attacking midfielders now ;)

Kevvv
07-12-2009, 12:46 AM
I really think positioning is his greatest strength - and goals are goals. I tip my hat off to anyone giving us goals. Sure he misses a lot of chances, but if he put in even half of those he'd be in the Premier League by now anyway. Regardless, I'm just over the moon about 3 goals from our strikers. That's so un-TFC-like! :)

And he's now third in team scoring, behind Dero & Amado.

Blizzard
07-12-2009, 12:48 AM
I thought maybe groin strain, hernia even. Can't find anything on the SJ site (TFC site has video from today up, SJ nothing).

TFC definitely leads the league in terms of web site video content.

Super
07-12-2009, 12:54 AM
I thought we all agreed that Vitti and Barrett are attacking midfielders now ;)

I agree - we don't exactly have very traditional strikers, but at least they are contributing now - AND scoring goals too. I'm very happy with both.

Super
07-12-2009, 12:56 AM
TFC definitely leads the league in terms of web site video content.

Yeah, no kidding. I've always been extremely impressed by the online content. Now, of course, they have to also supply Goal TV - so that just means more content all together. Great for us :)

Yohan
07-12-2009, 12:59 AM
I agree - we don't exactly have very traditional strikers, but at least they are contributing now - AND scoring goals too. I'm very happy with both.
Chad Barrett is a 'traditional' striker. Except he can't finish most of the time. ;)

Super
07-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Chad Barrett is a 'traditional' striker. Except he can't finish most of the time. ;)

What is traditional nowadays anyway? Barrett puts in a lot of work on the wings, midfield as well as up front - and that's not exactly traditional for a striker. Regardless, he scored twice tonight. Tonight I sing his praise - and I will do that next weekend as well. Just my way of thanking him for 2 goals.

twistedchinaman
07-12-2009, 02:16 AM
This was a good game tonight, good effort, cashed in when the chances knocked, and left the Bay Area with three points heading home for an appointment with the Dynamo. SJ's effort was piss poor after the Huckerby goal -- looks like it gave them hope...and then, take forty five boys.

Yohan
07-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Chad Barrett also gets the lulz of the week for the popping the collar celebration.

Yes folks. He is that suave and cool ;)

Flashman
07-12-2009, 02:26 AM
So next weekend is Houston at home at 1pm followed by Canada vs. Houston in the Gold Cup at 5pm. That's what I call a great day of footy.

I thought Canada played Honduras?:D

Super
07-12-2009, 02:28 AM
I thought Canada played Honduras?:D

Oops..

Stryker
07-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Really? A canadian footy double header? Sweeeeet.
Thats gotta be a first.

TFC*FAN
07-12-2009, 03:27 AM
First league road win by more than 1 goal? (Not that we've had many)

Oldtimer
07-12-2009, 06:51 AM

San Jose now has something on him...

For the Earthquakes, they not only lost the game, but also will have to do without defender Aaron Pitchkolan for a while, who went down injured in the second half on a play that led to the final Toronto goal.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090712&content_id=5835460&vkey=news_sje&fext=.jsp&team=t110

Ouch.

Fushida
07-12-2009, 07:59 AM

I don't think Wynne would fit in our midfield. We have some pretty technical players in mid, and by technical I mean... generally able to pass simple balls and have okay first touches. Wynne would result in quite a few lost balls down the right side. Especially since this team likes to feed the wingers and let them duke it out themselves with little support.

Good question... IMO Its gonna be Nana-Serioux/Garcia... we need a little speed at CB, and both Serioux and Garcia are SLOW. Remember the RSL game? I think if Nana were staying back at CB we'd have had a much better chance to contain Movsisyan.

FluSH
07-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Vitti had his best game ever... the entire team played well... if Amado would have finished one of his misses, it would have been a prefect game for me... It was great watching the game yesterday...

Kaz
07-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Watching the game on match center and listening to SJ commentators that know Toronto player names and history better then most of the TFC ones it's sad. CBC and RSN needs to get better commentary.

Other then our defense which as been subpar all season I'm ok with it been a good watch.

pank
07-12-2009, 08:08 AM
First league road win by more than 1 goal? (Not that we've had many)

3-1 win at NYRB last October.

FluSH
07-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Watching the game on match center and listening to SJ commentators that know Toronto player names and history better then most of the TFC ones it's sad. CBC and RSN needs to get better commentary.

Other then our defense which as been subpar all season I'm ok with it been a good watch.

This is the straight truth.... It was painful to hear Dobson and Forrest yesterday... literally NO EMOTION... we need a commentator that will showcase this beautiful game for what it is... we need our Chuck Swirsky!

Kaz
07-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Just want to point out as I haven't noticed it being said but TFC has reached 25 points in 17 games. The fastest we have ever reached the mark as it took 19 games last season and well 30 during the first.

London
07-12-2009, 08:45 AM
This is the straight truth.... It was painful to hear Dobson and Forrest yesterday... literally NO EMOTION... we need a commentator that will showcase this beautiful game for what it is... we need our Chuck Swirsky!

"Oh craig, you broke your chair, your going to have to watch the rest of this match standing" Gerry dobson

"i'm going to have to lose some weight" Craig Forrest

WTF!!!

that guys groin pull was bad, i felt sad for him but happy for us!!!!!

Redcoe15
07-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Considering the shit that's been going on in Honduras right now, I wouldn't blame Guevara if he had other things on his mind right now. Especially with his family still there.

Jack
07-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Very nice to see this from Chad and Pablo last night!

If they can both get untracked (finally) then we will be very dangerous, especially when Gerba gets into the mix.

I'm not going to declare both Chad and Pablo "fine" yet, but they certainly have been better lately.

Chad always does better on goals when he doesn't have to think. Taking that first goal like that was perfect!

Fushida
07-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Just like Barrett to take the tough chances well and miss the easy open headers. Nevertheless he played well, and Vitti was very dangerous after he scored his goal.

Kaz
07-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Was anyone else worried that Chad was going to miss the ball on his last touch into the open net? Cause there was a small part of me thinking, I think he's missed easier shots before.

rocker
07-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Was anyone else worried that Chad was going to miss the ball on his last touch into the open net? Cause there was a small part of me thinking, I think he's missed easier shots before.

ya I did. I mean I've seen people like Buddle, Cunningham, and Vitti fail on those 1-on-1's with the keeper, so it was in my mind. Just goes to show that even those situations are not 100% guaranteed and Barrett should still get credit for keeping his cool and beating Cannon (who is a very good keeper in this league).

felipe
07-12-2009, 11:10 AM
I felt exactly the same thing Kaz....I half expected him to roll it wide or blast it over the top! But he didn't...

That game was close, it was anybodys at half-time, and really San Jose was looking far more dangerous than we were. Whatever was said at half really worked wonders...

Give Wynne a little credit, he was trying to cover up for Garcia's lack of pace and trying to mark Huckerby - that's a tall order for anyone. Huckerby is probably the most dangerous winger in the league.

Give San Jose credit, they had a game plan and it almost worked. They have some useful attackers, quick big and strong...

I thought we were a much better side in the second and dominated - san Jose really lacks some self belief..

Garcia is still invaluable in the middle, even if his lack of pace is cruelly exposed at times...

They all played well - well done TFC!

jloome
07-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Vitti had an exceptional game. Exceptional. He was the catalyst to about half our attakcs, the guy who was willing to take a run on his man and move the play forward.

rocker
07-12-2009, 12:15 PM
San Jose vultures are circling over Frank Yallop.. ready to kill...
interesting to read the other perspective....

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1097906

billyfly
07-12-2009, 02:24 PM
I just want to mention again that the high flick pass from DeRo for Chad's first goal was exceptional.

FluSH
07-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Give Wynne a little credit, he was trying to cover up for Garcia's lack of pace and trying to mark Huckerby - that's a tall order for anyone. Huckerby is probably the most dangerous winger in the league.

This is particularly true... Garcia's pace was exposed inthe 60th minute or so when he couldn't keep up with a SJ striker... I believe he had to foul the guy... I wish I could finethe clip...

grizzle
07-12-2009, 02:56 PM
I think the team is starting to grow more. Good job on Barret and Vitti for putting the 3 in.

HOGAN
07-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Barrett has been great the last few games and Vitti is coming into his own.

The lads are starting to finish and the victories will come so long as they keep capitalizing on those mistakes.

This will be their best season ever.

MUFC_Niagara
07-12-2009, 03:24 PM
where are LucaGol and giambac after games like these? LOL....good result.....Houston will be a massive test....

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 03:41 PM
where are LucaGol and giambac after games like these? LOL....good result.....Houston will be a massive test....

I will continue to call out the Prince of Darkness (Giambac) on his bullshit habit of only showing his face around here after bad results.

He survives on a diet of charcoal and angel tears.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 03:47 PM
This is particularly true... Garcia's pace was exposed inthe 60th minute or so when he couldn't keep up with a SJ striker... I believe he had to foul the guy... I wish I could finethe clip...

Yeah, just saying "the first goal was Wynne's fault" is a little simplistic. He came over to cover from the left, because the SJ player was about to beat Garcia to the left, and take a shot.

Of course, this left Huckerby wide open to slot it in. Leaving Huckerby unmarked wasn't smart, but I get what he was trying to do. Of course, in that situation it probably made more sense to just let the SJ player try and fire off a shot, than it did to leave Hucks on his own.

- Scott

H Bomb
07-12-2009, 03:52 PM
SJ player had two dudes on him. Wynne really screwed up there. Then about 20 minutes later he jumped like a monster and set up Vitti's winner. So allow a goal, set up a goal, he's even in my books

Brooker
07-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Some of us are still watching the game, shithead! :D

I'll be back to comment on the end of the game, as soon as I can get the DeLorean up to 88mph.

- Scott

1.21 GIGAWATTS???!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

"what the hells a gigawatt?"

Hugh Jazz
07-12-2009, 04:45 PM
SJ player had two dudes on him. Wynne really screwed up there. Then about 20 minutes later he jumped like a monster and set up Vitti's winner. So allow a goal, set up a goal, he's even in my books

I think you're getting Wynne and Attakora mixed up, Nana's header set up Vitti's goal.

InDa_110
07-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Gerry Dobson and Forrest Gump really have to go..

It was so bad that in the second half I actually turned on the radio and listened to the fan 590 while watching the television with the mute button on. The Fan 590 was exactly 10 minutes ahead of the television broadcast, but it was less annoying than listening to those two boring shite for brains.

v00d00daddy
07-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I think you're getting Wynne and Attakora mixed up, Nana's header set up Vitti's goal.

It was Nana who seemed to rise 3 feet into the air to get a head on that ball. Very impressive.

twistedchinaman
07-12-2009, 05:15 PM
San Jose vultures are circling over Frank Yallop.. ready to kill...
interesting to read the other perspective....

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1097906

Doyle and Yallop are running out of lives in SJ, that's for sure. :facepalm:

twistedchinaman
07-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Gerry Dobson and Forrest Gump really have to go..

It was so bad that in the second half I actually turned on the radio and listened to the fan 590 while watching the television with the mute button on. The Fan 590 was exactly 10 minutes ahead of the television broadcast, but it was less annoying than listening to those two boring shite for brains.

They should pair Nigel with Luke for ALL games. Andi Petrallo should be the host (Rob Faulds is awful).

Sullivan
07-12-2009, 05:50 PM
As ugly as the game was, it's still 3 points, 3 very valuable AWAY points.

I'd rather see Serioux in the middle with Garcia until another CB arrives.
Nana and Wynne are still learning, so let them make mistakes on the outside. They really need to learn how to position themselves earlier in the scheme rather than just reacting to the play.

Brennan at LM is a better fit than at LB; not much better, but an improvement.

Barrett should have had 4. And ya I was expecting him to miss on his second.

I understand the theory of re-grouping on the transition when gaining possession; however, I fail to see the advantage of moving the ball backwards or laterally when clearly there is opportunity to go forward. Until the players get away from these short poorly played hospital balls, and start creating space by making more runs they will continue to give the ball away needlessly.

Using the tennis or baseball term unforced errors, I lost count to the number of times TFC turned the ball over due to poor decisions, static positioning, or just plain carelessness.

Vitti gets it. He was willing and able to go forward all match. To bad none of the others see or think the game at his level.

And then there's Frei and his kicks. I counted 1 in which a TFC player willfully challenged and influenced where the ball went; it was Dichio and it ran out for a goal kick. Just about every other kick, whether from his hands, or from the deck that Frei sent downfield, San Jose gained possession! Late in the game on one of the rare occassion that Frei played a quick ball out, Vitti and Guevara created an excellent opportunity when they walked through SJ along the right and finsihed with a Guevara "screamer" over the end stands. Frei's punts are nothing but wastefull and unacceptable, it's kickball, and it's ugly.

S_D
07-12-2009, 06:33 PM

haha. You may not like what they have to say, but they have both been proven right as time has gone on.

This was a game they should have won and did. A good 3 points. And I am glad Vitti and Barrett both scored. The defense though looked pretty shakey and rather unorganized when put under pressure.

Quality teams will be much more predatory, so they are going to tighten up a lot more. Houston will indeed be a much better test as to where TFC is at. The last thing we need to see is people and players thinking they are world beaters after handing SJ their heads. We don't need to see a repeat of swollen heads like we saw post NYRB.

raj100
07-12-2009, 06:53 PM
is anyone else annoyed with the way gerry dobson pronounces some of the foreign players names? he tends to over exaggerate alot.... that being said i wished that douche bag and the goalie who had like 10 goals scored on him in one game stopped commentating on games :)

FluSH
07-12-2009, 07:02 PM
And then there's Frei and his kicks. I counted 1 in which a TFC player willfully challenged and influenced where the ball went; it was Dichio and it ran out for a goal kick. Just about every other kick, whether from his hands, or from the deck that Frei sent downfield, San Jose gained possession! Late in the game on one of the rare occassion that Frei played a quick ball out, Vitti and Guevara created an excellent opportunity when they walked through SJ along the right and finsihed with a Guevara "screamer" over the end stands. Frei's punts are nothing but wastefull and unacceptable, it's kickball, and it's ugly.

I don't think I've ever payed attention... interesting.

FluSH
07-12-2009, 07:06 PM
is anyone else annoyed with the way gerry dobson pronounces some of the foreign players names? he tends to over exaggerate alot.... that being said i wished that douche bag and the goalie who had like 10 goals scored on him in one game stopped commentating on games :)

I won't go as far as to insult Forrest... but truly he is making the product on Television worse.

The role of a commentator is one of the MOST important roles inregards to marketing this game... I love Toronto FC and their commentating felt like a snooze fest. I almost fell asleep during some points of the match... both Dobson and Forrest are too reserve for this game... we can have maybe one but not both commentating at the same time. I wish Toronto FC FO notice this and do something within their power to change the product on the tube. I keep saying this, but what Chuck Swirsky did for the Raptors is worth every penny he was paid and then some... We need better commentators NOW.

Yohan
07-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I won't go as far as to insult Forrest... but truly he is making the product on Television worse.

The role of a commentator is one of the MOST important roles inregards to marketing this game... I love Toronto FC and their commentating felt like a snooze fest. I almost fell asleep during some points of the match... both Dobson and Forrest are too reserve for this game... we can have maybe one but not both commentating at the same time. I wish Toronto FC FO notice this and do something within their power to change the product on the tube. I keep saying this, but what Chuck Swirsky did for the Raptors is worth every penny he was paid and then some... We need better commentators NOW.
Nigel Reed plus Ray Hudson? ;)

Oldtimer
07-12-2009, 07:28 PM
haha. You may not like what they have to say, but they have both been proven right as time has gone on.

They didn't like Cummins, so I don't agree with you there.

If they were real fans, they would be celebrating each victory, like we do. Instead, they only come to this board to raise crap after a loss, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually hail from Columbus.

DichioTFC
07-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Exactly. Look at Tom Cheek with the Blue Jays. EVERYONE listened to his games, even casual fans would go out of their way to find a radio and listen to his call of the game.

A classy radio announcer would be beneficial for TFC. That being said, the radio play-by-play guy on the FAN last night was pretty good.

Kaz
07-12-2009, 08:06 PM
we need to convert Don Cherry to a Footy fan... then offer him DP money

InDa_110
07-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Exactly. Look at Tom Cheek with the Blue Jays. EVERYONE listened to his games, even casual fans would go out of their way to find a radio and listen to his call of the game.

A classy radio announcer would be beneficial for TFC. That being said, the radio play-by-play guy on the FAN last night was pretty good.

^Agreed. Much better than Dobson and Gump.

Super
07-12-2009, 08:10 PM
I must admit, it's very difficult not to be very optimistic about this season based on last nights performance. I thought the team played more as a team than I've seen before. Seriously, it was a thing of beauty. Yes, of course, not all was great, and I don't need to be reminded of missed chances and such (saw them) - but overall that was a pretty damn near perfect performance.

Well done TFC!

InDa_110
07-12-2009, 08:10 PM

Are you thinking banner - to express our boredom?

HOGAN
07-12-2009, 08:29 PM
With all due respect to those above...Dobson and Forrest are just fine.

This isnt the UFC which has its commentators screaming over one another or the super-biased, embarassment known as Chuck Swirsky.

As someone in the broadcasting industry, who knows the hard work, preparation, and professionalismrequired for sports commentary, I can say I respect and appreciate the call of Forrest and Dobson and believe they are doing the game its due.

You can only call a game based on what you see. If the play warrants excitement and enthusiasm in the call...then it will undoubtedly get it.

On the other hand, if it's a snoozefest and the commentators are 'reserved' it is through no fault of their own.

I found for example, the job they did at the Miracle in Montreal was beautiful.

Roogsy
07-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Vitti had an exceptional game. Exceptional. He was the catalyst to about half our attakcs, the guy who was willing to take a run on his man and move the play forward.

I wish more people would see what he brings. The guy has technical skill that (and I may be in the minority here but I do feel this way) nobody else on TFC has and creates chances no other player creats...including Guevara.

S_D
07-12-2009, 08:38 PM
They didn't like Cummins, so I don't agree with you there.

He hasn't done anything for me either to be honest, although I am keeping an open mind. Yes we are beating the teams we should be beating but we haven't really seen the team do well against the better ones where superior coaching should have a greater impact.

Now whether that is due to the need for a few more players or not that remains to be seen. Until Gerba and White suit up and the roster is filled out we won't really know.

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 08:43 PM

This isnt the UFC which has its commentators screaming over one another or the super-biased, embarassment known as Chuck Swirsky.

As someone in the broadcasting industry, who knows the hard work, preparation, and professionalismrequired for sports commentary, I can say I respect and appreciate the call of Forrest and Dobson and believe they are doing the game its due.

You can only call a game based on what you see. If the play warrants excitement and enthusiasm in the call...then it will undoubtedly get it.

On the other hand, if it's a snoozefest and the commentators are 'reserved' it is through no fault of their own.

This is some of the least specific praise I've ever seen, and one of the most bizarre strawman scenarios I've ever seen.

So our only options are screaming UFC announcers, Chuck Swirsky, or the bumbling cliches of Forrest/Dobson?

I don't actively dislike the job they do, but I certainly see the criticism. Craig Forrest says "world class" and "he should have done better" about four million times per match, and the clumsy chummy jabbering between them is occasionally pretty cringe inducing.

I'd also like to mention one other thing - of course Chuck Swirsky is biased. He was hired by the Raptors to commentate their games. He was paid to be enthusiastic about the team. Same with Joe Bowen, Harry Caray, and any other sports team's play-by-play guy.

- Scott

FluSH
07-12-2009, 09:08 PM

You have completely lost it... either that or you are related to Craig Forrest...

I don't even know where to begin... I don't think you even have a CLUE of what you're talking about? Do you know how much money they offered Chuck Swirsky to resign his contract? Probably in the top salary categories for sports in Canada... and it wasn't because he was an embarrasment...

Chuck was a Raptors announcer... not an olympic commentator...

Dobson and Forrest are supposed to be Toronto FC commentators... however at times I think I'm watching Golf!!!

If you only call based on what you see... then what differance is Dobson and Forrest than anyone here? What is the added value... that Dobson and Forrest bring to the table? Are you sure you are in broadcasting? You have to be making shit up...

Blizzard
07-12-2009, 09:25 PM
I wish more people would see what he brings. The guy has technical skill that (and I may be in the minority here but I do feel this way) nobody else on TFC has and creates chances no other player creats...including Guevara.

Absolutely. He does so many little things so well. His struggle has been to learn to play in a league that doesn't play the kind of football he has played all his life.

Fortunately, his teammates are learning to play with him as much as he is learning to play with them!

wzhxvy
07-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Forrest is annoying and anti-Toronto...if you dont get that from listening to him after a few games then I am not sure what you are listening to. The guy has zero personality and style, compounded with his regular jabs at anything Toronto makes him hard to listen to or believe anything he says. Its one thing to sit in a studio and comment on world cup games during half time...and something entirely different being the colour guy on live games for 90 minutes. He has shown himself to be useless and an idiot in the latter job...dont care if he continues with the former.

HOGAN
07-12-2009, 09:30 PM
You have completely lost it... either that or you are related to Craig Forrest...

I don't even know where to begin... I don't think you even have a CLUE of what you're talking about? Do you know how much money they offered Chuck Swirsky to resign his contract? Probably in the top salary categories for sports in Canada... and it wasn't because he was an embarrasment...

Chuck was a Raptors announcer... not an olympic commentator...

Dobson and Forrest are supposed to be Toronto FC commentators... however at times I think I'm watching Golf!!!

If you only call based on what you see... then what differance is Dobson and Forrest than anyone here? What is the added value... that Dobson and Forrest bring to the table? Are you sure you are in broadcasting? You have to be making shit up...

First off, I am in no way related to Craig Forrest.

Chuck Swirsky was so over the top, and one-sided, you thought you were watching an informercial with the late Billy Mays. Of course he was offered tons of cash to return, he made the Raps sound like the Bulls of the 90s every time they hit the court...when in fact they stunk in his final two seasons.

What does Chuck Swirsky have to do with being an Olympic commentator anyway?

What leads you to believe that when listening to Dobson and Forrest call a game, you are watching golf? If you've ever watched golf, it can be extremely dramatic and doesnt need constant rambling...some would say soccer is the same way...when a commentator lets the game breathe a little bit, it's not necessarily a huge sin.

The difference when tuning in to hear Forrest and Dobson call a game as opposed to your average fan... is knowledge, broadcasting prowess and professionalism...for example, remaining neutral, and calling the action, not trying to sell a product...sure they can get excited more when the TFC score, as opposed to dead silence when RSL score...but it doesnt mean they have to slam the opposition and be homers for TFC on every play.

The feeling I get from your posting is that soccer needs selling and for that misguided reason, the TFC broadcast needs the commentary the likes of Chuck Swirsky, Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan, going nuts every time DeRo scores a goal or Frei makes a save.

I think the criticism is quite harsh and unwarranted...especially considering the on-field product certainly hasn't been spectcular by any means.

I assure you I am in broadcasting...so please take my views as insight and not some war of words.

FluSH
07-12-2009, 09:41 PM
First off, I am in no way related to Craig Forrest.

Chuck Swirsky was so over the top, and one-sided, you thought you were watching an informercial with the late Billy Mays. Of course he was offered tons of cash to return, he made the Raps sound like the Bulls of the 90s every time they hit the court...when in fact they stunk in his final two seasons.

I stopped reading here... how can you be in broadcasting and not get it? Can you re-read your quote a few times... just reread what you just wrote... You cannot be in broadcasting there is no way... in fact you can't even be in BUSINESS. You've completly failed... 0 GPA. Seriously... what do you do for a living? Do you work for PETA?

AdamZ
07-12-2009, 09:42 PM
frankly I find it a little disturbing that so few here seem to appreciate Nigel Reid.

HOGAN
07-12-2009, 09:51 PM
I stopped reading here... how can you be in broadcasting and not get it? Can you re-read your quote a few times... just reread what you just wrote... You cannot be in broadcasting there is no way... in fact you can't even be in BUSINESS. You've completly failed... 0 GPA. Seriously... what do you do for a living? Do you work for PETA?

Bushleague response. If you want over-the-top calls, go to youtube, type in CRAZY SOCCER CALLS and lose your load that way.

Otherwise, sit back, and watch the game on mute if you can't stand Dobson and Forrest calling the game the way they see fit.

4.0 GPA.

Sports Producer/Anchor/Host and Story Editor.

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 09:53 PM

As I said before - EVERY non-network commentator does this! The guy at Yankee stadium, Joe Bowen, the late Harry Caray, Chuck Swirsky, They are paid by their teams, to make their games more exciting for their fans.

I'm also puzzled by your assertion that commentating with passion is somehow a sin, when the team isn't very good. What?

What leads you to believe that when listening to Dobson and Forrest call a game, you are watching golf? If you've ever watched golf, it can be extremely dramatic and doesnt need constant rambling...some would say soccer is the same way...when a commentator lets the game breathe a little bit, it's not necessarily a huge sin

More strawman shit - no one is calling for them to ramble endlessly. Who said that? Who is this directed at?

The difference when tuning in to hear Forrest and Dobson call a game as opposed to your average fan... is knowledge, broadcasting prowess and professionalism...for example, remaining neutral, and calling the action, not trying to sell a product...sure they can get excited more when the TFC score, as opposed to dead silence when RSL score...but it doesnt mean they have to slam the opposition and be homers for TFC on every play.

Again, who is asking for this? Who is calling on them to slam the opposition? Does Nigel Reed do this? Christ, even Luke Wileman (who is on MLSE's payroll), doesn't slam the other team during GolTV broadcasts.

The feeling I get from your posting is that soccer needs selling and for that misguided reason, the TFC broadcast needs the commentary the likes of Chuck Swirsky, Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan, going nuts every time DeRo scores a goal or Frei makes a save.

Not "go nuts" - evoke some goddamned PASSION. When Jamie Campbell commentates Jays games for the same network, does he not react with excitement and passion when the Jays are doing well? You can make the game more exciting for TFC fans, without being a complete homer. He even has a former Blue Jay doing colour commentary with him.

I think the criticism is quite harsh and unwarranted...especially considering the on-field product certainly hasn't been spectcular by any means.

We are second place in the east.

- Scott

AdamZ
07-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, with all due respect I find the Latin and Central American style to be extremely annoying. Oh wow, look, he's screaming GOAOAAAAALLLLLLLL at the top of his voice!

I don't like Dobson/Forrest. But I like Nigel Reed just fine, and think he is the perfect commentator for Toronto FC.

HOGAN
07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
As I said before - EVERY non-network commentator does this! The guy at Yankee stadium, Joe Bowen, the late Harry Caray, Chuck Swirsky, They are paid by their teams, to make their games more exciting for their fans.

I'm also puzzled by your assertion that commentating with passion is somehow a sin, when the team isn't very good. What?

More strawman shit - no one is calling for them to ramble endlessly. Who said that? Who is this directed at?

Again, who is asking for this? Who is calling on them to slam the opposition? Does Nigel Reed do this? Christ, even Luke Wileman (who is on MLSE's payroll), doesn't slam the other team during GolTV broadcasts.

Not "go nuts" - evoke some goddamned PASSION. When Jamie Campbell commentates Jays games for the same network, does he not react with excitement and passion when the Jays are doing well? You can make the game more exciting for TFC fans, without being a complete homer. He even has a former Blue Jay doing colour commentary with him.

We are second place in the east.

- Scott

Just because many commentators DO IT...doesnt make it right. The Yanks have swagger, because they are the biggest franchise in baseball. TFC havent quite reached that status.

I never said commentating with passion was a sin, you're misunderstanding here, simply for the sake of argument.

Jamie Campbell should never be cited as a positive example for anything.

With a .500 record...not exactly stellar...

Bottom line here is, Forrest and Dobson are not devoid of personality or passion, and the knocks on these guys are unfair...people have individual preferences and tastes, unfortunately for you fine lads, you are in the minority as these two guys are some of the most respected and knowledgeable voices and faces of soccer in this country.

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Bushleague response. If you want over-the-top calls, go to youtube, type in CRAZY SOCCER CALLS and lose your load that way.

Otherwise, sit back, and watch the game on mute if you can't stand Dobson and Forrest calling the game the way they see fit.

4.0 GPA.

I love it when people try to brow beat others with their academic credentials.

Your pristine GPA is completely meaningless when it comes to this. You think Joe Blow at home in front of his TV, cares about your "expert opinion"?

There are numerous threads on this board, filled with TFC Fans (y'know, the people Dobson and Forrest commentate for) complaining about the perceived shoddy job they do as commentators.

If you think they do a good job, that's fine. Other people think they do too. It's the strawman arguments, and now your asinine attempt to bolster those disingenuous arguments with your amazing GPA in broadcasting, that are irritating.

- Scott

HOGAN
07-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I love it when people try to brow beat others with their academic credentials.

Your pristine GPA is completely meaningless when it comes to this. You think Joe Blow at home in front of his TV, cares about your "expert opinion"?

There are numerous threads on this board, filled with TFC Fans (y'know, the people Dobson and Forrest commentate for) complaining about the perceived shoddy job they do as commentators.

If you think they do a good job, that's fine. Other people think they do too. It's the strawman arguments, and now your asinine attempt to bolster those disingenuous arguments with your amazing GPA in broadcasting, that are irritating.

- Scott

Must be tough going through life, when someone on an internet message board irritates you trying to justify the merits of Dobson and Forrest.

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Just because many commentators DO IT...doesnt make it right. The Yanks have swagger, because they are the biggest franchise in baseball. TFC havent quite reached that status.

Doesn't make it right? Supposed "homers" like Harry Caray are some of the most beloved announcers of all time. Those are the kinds of guys that get plaques in the stadiums they worked in. When Swirsky left, I recall Sportsnet and TSN running highlight reels of all of his most memorable calls.

You can wax pedantic about their technical merits all you want, but these announcers were beloved by the people that actually matter - THE VIEWERS.

With a .500 record...not exactly stellar...

In what dimension is 7-6-4 a .500 record?

Bottom line here is, Forrest and Dobson are not devoid of personality or passion, and the knocks on these guys are unfair...people have individual preferences and tastes, unfortunately for you fine lads, you are in the minority as these two guys are some of the most respected and knowledgeable voices and faces of soccer in this country.

We are in the minority based on what? Your personal opinion of them? The fact that they are respected by other people that work with them?

I like Craig and Gerry. I just think they are sub-par soccer commentators.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Must be tough going through life, when someone on an internet message board irritates you trying to justify the merits of Dobson and Forrest.

Oh good, this is always a good line. The "lol things on the internet affect you?" strategy.

Yes, some of your words are irritating me. They would be irritating me if you said them to me in person too. That's how words work.

Strawman arguments irritate me when I read them, or hear them.

And you aren't trying to justify anything; you're trying to definitively state that people who don't agree with you are wrong, because we r just too stoopid to understand the technical expertise of their work.

- Scott

HOGAN
07-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Doesn't make it right? Supposed "homers" like Harry Caray are some of the most beloved announcers of all time. Those are the kinds of guys that get plaques in the stadiums they worked in. When Swirsky left, I recall Sportsnet and TSN running highlight reels of all of his most memorable calls.

You can wax pedantic about their technical merits all you want, but these announcers were beloved by the people that actually matter - THE VIEWERS.

In what dimension is 7-6-4 a .500 record?

We are in the minority based on what? Your personal opinion of them? The fact that they are respected by other people that work with them?

I like Craig and Gerry. I just think they are sub-par soccer commentators.

- Scott

Of course homer commentators are going to be beloved by their audiences.

That doesnt mean all broadcasters need to be this way, as Flush would want. TFC has been a 500 team at best every season since its inception.

The expectation that Dobson and Forrest go apeshit every time something positive happens on the field cheapens the viewing experience.

As I said earlier, if you want to hear the broadcaster go nuts and exaggerate what is actually happening, go to youtube.

Dobson and Forrest are the best in the country, I have yet to hear anyone provide valid reasons for this not be the case. It's all personal attacks because they don't scream and make everything seem like the greatest moment in sports history.

That's just not right. They are doing their jobs, and viewership on Sportsnet is up this year.

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah, with all due respect I find the Latin and Central American style to be extremely annoying. Oh wow, look, he's screaming GOAOAAAAALLLLLLLL at the top of his voice!

I don't like Dobson/Forrest. But I like Nigel Reed just fine, and think he is the perfect commentator for Toronto FC.

I think Nigel Reed is just fine. Definitely my favourite of the bunch. deVos is getting better over time, too.

- Scott

Stryker
07-12-2009, 10:12 PM

4.0 GPA.

Would you be Mike Hogan?

http://www.fan590.com/images/2009/03/NHLTradeDeadline/IMG_3342.JPG

FluSH
07-12-2009, 10:14 PM

4.0 GPA.

You don't know how to make money... You don't. -50 GPA

end of story...

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Of course homer commentators are going to be beloved by their audiences.

That doesnt mean all broadcasters need to be this way, as Flush would want. TFC has been a 500 team at best every season since its inception.

The expectation that Dobson and Forrest go apeshit every time something positive happens on the field cheapens the viewing experience.

As I said earlier, if you want to hear the broadcaster go nuts and exaggerate what is actually happening, go to youtube.

Dobson and Forrest are the best in the country, I have yet to hear anyone provide valid reasons for this not be the case. It's all personal attacks because they don't scream and make everything seem like the greatest moment in sports history.

That's just not right. They are doing their jobs, and viewership on Sportsnet is up this year.

Again with the mischaracterizations.

- No one is asking them to exaggerate what is happening.
- No one is asking them to make everything seem like the greatest moment in sports history.

What personal attacks are being made against them? People are criticizing their over-reliance on certain phrases, and their clumsy delivery. I've yet to see anyone say "Craig Forrest is a shithead alcoholic!" or "Gerry Dobson was a draft dodger!"

At this point, I'm convinced that you must either work with them in some capacity, or at the very least, for Sportsnet. Especially since you apparently know their viewership numbers off the top of your head.

- Scott

Stryker
07-12-2009, 10:21 PM
At this point, I'm convinced that you must either work with them in some capacity, or at the very least, for Sportsnet. Especially since you apparently know their viewership numbers off the top of your head.

If its Mike Hogan then yes he is. The Fan 590 and Sportsnet are bed fellows.

HOGAN
07-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Again with the mischaracterizations.

- No one is asking them to exaggerate what is happening.
- No one is asking them to make everything seem like the greatest moment in sports history.

What personal attacks are being made against them? People are criticizing their over-reliance on certain phrases, and their clumsy delivery. I've yet to see anyone say "Craig Forrest is a shithead alcoholic!" or "Gerry Dobson was a draft dodger!"

- Scott

I don't actually...the fact that their ratings are up is not top-secret information. It's readily accessible...give it a try...find a Toronto Star newspaper or check their website.

Over-reliance on certain phrases? Like what!
Clumsy delivery? Yeah, right.

The criticism of these guys is unwarranted. I am a fan of TFC and I feel these two do a fine job calling the games. Just because they aren't over the top homers doesnt mean they are unworthy of employment.

People often think the job is easy and that is why they knock them. Ignorance...simple as that.

Stryker
07-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Now I know it's Mike Hogan. The same long winded arrogance he displays on air is showing through in his replies.
Mind you this is the same company that employs Bob king of the dramatic pause McClown so take him with a grain of salt.

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Over-reliance on certain phrases? Like what!

As I mentioned earlier, you could fill ten jam jars with quarters, if you charged Forrest every time he said "world class" or "he should have done better" in a TFC game.

Clumsy delivery? Yeah, right.This isn't a counterpoint, it's just you sloughing off the criticism with a guffaw.

Just because they aren't over the top homers doesnt mean they are unworthy of employment.Who said they were "unworthy of employment"? Jesus, stop being so dramatic in your characterization of our arguments. I like Gerry and Craig just fine. I think Gerry's blog is great, and I actually think Forrest could be a decent colour guy down the road. I also think their in-studio work is fine enough. I just think they are sub-par live commentators.

People often think the job is easy and that is why they knock them. Ignorance...simple as that.Whether it's "easy" has nothing to do with anything.

I think Nigel Reed does a better job than them. I think Jason deVos does a better job than them. I think Luke Wileman (occasionally) does a better job than them. I think Dan frigging Dunleavy does a better job than them. I assume it's just as hard of a job for those guys, right?

I'm still convenced you are associated with them somehow.

- Scott

HOGAN
07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Unfortunately, you're wrong.

MUFC_Niagara
07-12-2009, 11:43 PM

This was a game they should have won and did. A good 3 points. And I am glad Vitti and Barrett both scored. The defense though looked pretty shakey and rather unorganized when put under pressure.

Quality teams will be much more predatory, so they are going to tighten up a lot more. Houston will indeed be a much better test as to where TFC is at. The last thing we need to see is people and players thinking they are world beaters after handing SJ their heads. We don't need to see a repeat of swollen heads like we saw post NYRB.

I can still call them out for not showing up after good results. Why don't they come on here and say how well Barrett and Vitti finished? Its only after the bad results.

Southsider
07-13-2009, 12:18 AM
He hasn't done anything for me either to be honest, although I am keeping an open mind. Yes we are beating the teams we should be beating but we haven't really seen the team do well against the better ones where superior coaching should have a greater impact.

Now whether that is due to the need for a few more players or not that remains to be seen. Until Gerba and White suit up and the roster is filled out we won't really know.

If I recall correctly haven't we done pretty well this season against Columbus and D.C. this year (well, considering our past record anyhow)?

BTW, 3 ties fwiw.

S_D
07-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Considering our past record? Yes. But also look at those 2 teams. They have both been struggling for some reason. Perhaps a slow start/loss of sigi (Columbus) or distractions (in the case of DC). But to further my point, TFC with the exception of Chivas early in the season, has not beaten a top 4 team in either division. That must change if TFC is to have any hopes going into the playoffs.

If you look at TFC's last 5 losses, (RSL, LAG, VANC, HOU, CHI) they weren't just losses, they were embarrasments. Not embarrasment due to losing, but the way the team lost. Disgusting efforts, poor tactics, poor substitutions, well poor everything to say the least. Yes the players have to take responsibility, but Cummins has to figure out how to stop these things from happening or at least minimize it. This is where a true quality coach/manager shines. We all understand about a bad day at the office, but to have one in every one of those losses tells me that he hasn't figured it out yet.

Yes a roster shortage doesn't help as do international call ups etc, so some of the blame lies with Mo so I am keeping an open mind. Once the roster has been filled we will be able to judge Cummins more fairly. But really what we must see are those missing elements so that even if we lose, we won't be disgusted by what we have witnessed.

nascarguy
07-13-2009, 01:43 AM
so guys what did you think of the refs for the SJ game ?

i think they did a good job

S_D
07-13-2009, 01:56 AM
so guys what did you think of the refs for the SJ game ?

i think they did a good job

I didn't notice them really so that is all good in my books.

Inswingingwingman
07-13-2009, 06:26 AM
No, I don't know Don Cherry, nor have I met him in the loo Union Station.
Tom and Jerry were awessome ambassadors for the Blue Jays.
Chuck with Salami And Cheese and I shared a few emails.

But get over this announcer thing. I have listened to hundreds of AL games from all kinds of feeds, the latest a Baltimore Game called by their staff. Every pitch was right down the middle the umps were wrong, calls wrong, they didn't know our players or care. That's sports. The announcers are homers. It's their job to put a postive spin on the team and it's fortunes. After all if they turn you off, then you won't watch.

The team on the other hand has to evaluate their impact and make the appropriate adjustments. That said, it's not like you suddenly find the best announcer and cut one and hire the other after releasing him.

I have become of the opinion that some people are going to bitch about everything.
As short synopsis is:
1. The turf is shite buy grass seed.
2. The lacross lines have to go.
3. The supporters sections are ..(fill this in yourself) a. b. c. d. etc.
4. Security is shite.
5. Beer is too expensive.
6. Beer lines are too long.
7. Beer is too cold.
8. Beer is the wrong kind.
9. The food is shite.
10. The washrooms are shite.
11. Flares are dangerous.
12. Flares are good.
13. Streamers are bad.
14. Streamers are good.
15. Lack of Roof.
16. Roofs suck.
17. Not enought seats.
18. No beer for one game.
19. The refs are shite.
20. The marketing sucks.
21. Transportation is shite.
22. The annoucers are shite.
23. The games should be in HD HD.
24. The start times are shite.
25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. ...40. (Insert players name beside the number)is shite.
41. The front office is shite.
42. Mo is shite.
43. The weather is shite.
44....100. You fill them in.

Oldtimer
07-13-2009, 07:14 AM
44. People don't like standing in the prawnie seats.
45. The food is cold.
46. Security is no good.
47. The RPB are Leafs fans.
48. Real Madrid costs extra.
49. The season tickets are going up X%???
50. Why couldn't we have Capello as coach? MLSE is so cheap!
etc.