PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest newspaper hack ever- landslide winner...

Mikey
07-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Rare to find such a waste of space, could they not have put in a charity ad instead?

What is the TFC anyway?

http://www.independentfreepress.com/editorial/article/72413

When I returned to my office, I asked Eamonn, our sports guy what TFC meant.
“Oh, it’s the Toronto Football Club,” he said nonchalantly.
“Football? No, this is soccer,” I said.
“But they call it football,” he said.
Now this is the worst case scenario. We live in North America— where the game is officially called soccer, not football.
And they’re using the European sports term for a Toronto-based team?
That one boggles my mind.

I look forward to his ten-part series, detailing his attempts to open a child proof bottle of painkillers......

Nodoubtguy
07-10-2009, 09:28 AM
hey....I made the article!!!

One was willing to streak naked up Yonge Street

Kevvv
07-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Isn't this a waste of space? What is so surprising that someone who does not follow the sport does not know what FC stands for, or why we would adopt the English term for the sport?

BakaGaijin
07-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Why were you even reading a publication from Georgetown?!?

Were you scanning for articles about the KKK?!?!

Cashcleaner
07-10-2009, 09:35 AM
I'll be honest, I actually think it would have been cool if we were named Toronto AFC. That would help clear up some of the confusion, I think.

But yeah, not really something that warrants a multi-paragraph opinion column.

Jack
07-10-2009, 09:40 AM
The term soccer has a long tradition with the sport and was first coined by the English to distinguish association football from other forms of football. As the popularity of "soccer" exploded, it became generally accepted that referring to "football" meant "soccer" and the term "soccer" fell into disuse, except in countries like the USA, Canada and Australia, where another form of football is the most popular, thus garnering the default "football" while association football is referred to as soccer.

I say both. Nothing wrong with the term and it's a part of the rich history and tradition of the game.

I think people who say otherwise are narrow-minded. This whole "it's called football" attitude is very lame. (with all due respect to the blog/show of that name - note my lack of capitalization)

This whole concept that soccer=American is very silly. Soccer is a term that came from Englan.

Carefree
07-10-2009, 09:44 AM
It always boggles my mind to see someone so proud of his own ignorance.

Parkdale
07-10-2009, 09:45 AM
I say both. Nothing wrong with the term and it's a part of the rich history and tradition of the game.

exactly.

I grew up playing (and later reffing) the sport of 'soccer' and have no problems calling it by that name. It's really no biggie.

Parkdale
07-10-2009, 09:47 AM
oh yeah...

I went through that entire story, even the side bar where they interviewed TFC fans and asked what they would do to see them win a championship. (One was willing to streak naked up Yonge Street, another would give up sex with his girlfriend on game nights— you get the drift.)

Nodoubtguy, Jamaicanadian, ManicStreetPreacher and someone else I forget.... ;)

Carefree
07-10-2009, 09:53 AM
I think the condescending attitude toward using the word "soccer" is more prevalent across the pond, and a lot of people here adopt that attitude in order to fit in with the people they perceive to be "real" footie afficionados.

Basically to me it's just a matter of adapting the language according to the audience. If the context makes it clear that I'm talking about the beautiful game, I will say "football", and if I'm talking to non-fans I say soccer.

Jay P
07-10-2009, 09:58 AM

yeah... I'm sorry I wasted a minute to read it :(

zeelaw
07-10-2009, 10:04 AM
that guy is ignant dawg

Fort York Redcoat
07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Don't need to read it.

I love the game. I've spent hours talking about the origin of the name with strangers, friends and family.

I can call it both. To people in the know I can call it football but for those new to the game I'd rather use the term soccer and have them understand what I mean and get my enthusiam than have people stop me to say "what?".

Elitism doesn't draw people to the game. What does is how accessible the sport is. Football's its own language spoken the world round.

Damien
07-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey Parky, Georgetown is now officially more hick than Bolton :D

RealG-TFC
07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
where the game is officially called soccer, not football

LOL I didn't know there was a law stating that soccer is the official name of the sport here.

CretanBull
07-10-2009, 11:00 AM
The term soccer has a long tradition with the sport and was first coined by the English to distinguish association football from other forms of football. As the popularity of "soccer" exploded, it became generally accepted that referring to "football" meant "soccer" and the term "soccer" fell into disuse, except in countries like the USA, Canada and Australia, where another form of football is the most popular, thus garnering the default "football" while association football is referred to as soccer.

I think people who say otherwise are narrow-minded. This whole "it's called football" attitude is very lame. (with all due respect to the blog/show of that name - note my lack of capitalization)

This whole concept that soccer=American is very silly. Soccer is a term that came from Englan.

What's funny is that in England, the term "soccer" has come full circle...now people use it to describe really good football. Like, Leeds play football, but Barcalona? They play soccer!

Lucky Strike
07-10-2009, 12:45 PM
If the guy lived in an opaque jar sitting in someone's basement, I could understand how he didn't get this. But he doesn't so I'm not. I've never seen someone so proud of being ignorant.

sulfur
07-10-2009, 12:46 PM
The last one is Sparta, ain't it?

Oldtimer
07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Now I’m not a sports fan

says it all.

Boudge
07-13-2009, 10:59 AM
That is 2 mins of my life that I will never get back. Really wish I didn't waste those precious 2 mins on that ridiculously horrible article!
Jesus

CoachGT
07-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Football's its own language spoken the world round.

This is a truly great statement, and alone is worth the time spent reading the article!

Shakes McQueen
07-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Meh, pretty harmless article. He isn't a sports fan, but the article is more about acronyms, than sports.

Waste of space, but nothing worth reacting to.

- Scott

Northern Soul
07-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Funny that he got the last acronym wrong. Everyone knows SOL means Shit Outta Luck! :D

KrazyKanadian
07-13-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm a fan of the TSC -- Toronto Soccer Club, or Toronto SC, for the lay-person.

:D

flambe
07-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Here's an acronym you may also not be aware of George, STFU, jesus, what a waste of print.

ilikemusic
07-13-2009, 12:42 PM
I havent read the article and dont plan on clicking the link, but to be honest, I think it would be refereshing if a new MLS team were to call itself 'Something SC'.

Bars92
07-13-2009, 12:47 PM
eejit.

Fort York Redcoat
07-13-2009, 01:06 PM
I havent read the article and dont plan on clicking the link, but to be honest, I think it would be refereshing if a new MLS team were to call itself 'Something SC'.

Yeah but I doubt anyone would call it "the SC"

Do you mean "the Something", "the Something's" or "Somewhere"?:D

Beach_Red
07-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah but I doubt anyone would call it "the SC"

Do you mean "the Something", "the Something's" or "Somewhere"?:D

It would be great if the team was in South Carolina, the SC SC.

Fort York Redcoat
07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
It would be great if the team was in South Carolina, the SC SC.

U R Brilliant!!! I love it!!!:rofl:

manic.street.preacher
07-13-2009, 02:21 PM
what a waste of editorial space, i could feel brain cells sloughing off as i read it

+10

lol i'm only in there cos i went to school with the photographer :D

Hitcho
07-13-2009, 02:54 PM
What's funny is that in England, the term "soccer" has come full circle...now people use it to describe really good football. Like, Leeds play football, but Barcalona? They play soccer!

Really? I've never heard that, in the pub or on tv. The term soccer is still scorned in England from what i can tell, because despite its origin it has now come to mean the American (or at least international) name for the beautiful game. I'll have to check in back home and see if this is the latest street speak or not now Cretan!! :D

DichioTFC
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
writing some BS article in a no-name newspaper OR checking wikipedia?

clearly, this guy is running out of things to write about.

I would direct him to the RPB forums, but the last thing i need is an ol'timer's speech about how nobody cares about acronyms.... all thousands of us, not caring about TFC or RPB....

manic.street.preacher
07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Really? I've never heard that, in the pub or on tv. The term soccer is still scorned in England from what i can tell, because despite its origin it has now come to mean the American (or at least international) name for the beautiful game. I'll have to check in back home and see if this is the latest street speak or not now Cretan!! :D
^jack beat me to it but i was gonna mention the same thing ... like back in the day they would say 'do you want to play some football?' and they'd ask 'sure, soccer or rugger (rugby)?' ... since soccer became the dominant form, it's referred to as football ... then when it came over to north america, rugby got modified and became the dominant form and called football ... sorry, that's a really paraphrased explaination :rolleyes:

Roogsy
07-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Especially in a multi-cultural country like Canada where most people come from cultures where soccer is referred to in their native tongue in some variation of the word "football". ie. Spanish = Futbol

To us, it's natural to call the sport football without having to run into the ridiculous argument of "here it's called soccer".