PDA

View Full Version : White could make debut Saturday

SweetOwnGoal
07-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Likely as a sub (http://www.24thminute.com/2009/07/tfc-to-be-red-and-white-in-san-jose.html)

If you are having trouble with the link try: http://www.24thminute.com

(or just get Firefox like everyone else :hump: )

Brooker
07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
wicked.

spezz44
07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
wasn't he taken 4th overall?? thats hardly late in the first round.

SweetOwnGoal
07-09-2009, 12:22 PM
wasn't he taken 4th overall?? thats hardly late in the first round.

I wrote off the top of my head and thought he was one of the lower first round picks...but, the point being that he was projected as the first pick overall a year before so he still dropped down to Toronto (T.O. might have got him later too based on what was being said at the time -- some had him pegged into the second round).

mastermixer
07-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I always wonder who the sources are on these stories... family? Front office?

flatpicker
07-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of skills this guy has!

I hope he does good things for us!!!

spezz44
07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
I wrote off the top of my head and thought he was one of the lower first round picks...but, the point being that he was projected as the first pick overall a year before so he still dropped down to Toronto (T.O. might have got him later too based on what was being said at the time -- some had him pegged into the second round).

That's what I thought u meant just clarifying.

Hitcho
07-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of skills this guy has!

I hope he does good things for us!!!

Yep, me too Flats. I am quite excited to see OBW get going for TFC, but I worry a bit that given how long he's been out and the fact he'll be making his professional debut he'll be slammed by people if he doesn't score like he's in a brothel from the get go. I think next season is going to be the real testing mark for OBW, but can't wait to see him play this season.

mastermixer
07-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Good luck to him, I hope he does great things. For his sake and for ours!

backbeat
07-09-2009, 01:18 PM

he was only pegged as late first round at one time because of his injury nothing else. as a prospect he was always considered number 1 or 2 - getting him was a great draft.

Stryker
07-09-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm really stoked to see him play. Would be awesome if he got 15-20 mins.

FluSH
07-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Likely as a sub (http://www.24thminute.com/2009/07/tfc-to-be-red-and-white-in-san-jose.html)

If you are having trouble with the link try: http://www.24thminute.com

(or just get Firefox like everyone else :hump: )

Nice... and absolutely no problems loading the page this time... Your comment about him joining the JA team is unfortunate. Watching Canada play in the gold cup with DeRo and Serioux missing makes me think we should have made the next stage of the WQC's easily...

Jay P
07-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Nice... and absolutely no problems loading the page this time... Your comment about him joining the JA team is unfortunate. Watching Canada play in the gold cup with DeRo and Serioux missing makes me think we should have made the next stage of the WQC's easily...

I'm not sure if Jamaica and El Salvador were playing their best players. I also do not think a Dale Mitchell lead squad would be 2-0 right now!

billyfly
07-09-2009, 03:17 PM
So in the perfect world shouldn't the CSA jump on OBW and try and recruit him?

FluSH
07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure if Jamaica and El Salvador were playing their best players. I also do not think a Dale Mitchell lead squad would be 2-0 right now!

El Salvador was missing maybe 2-3 of their best... regardless El Salvador has had a gun and maybe unlucky run at the hex stage of the WCQ's... The way Canada played vs Jamaica and El Salvador... that was truly different...

I really don't see Jamaica as a threat in Concacaf anymore... they used to have a solid team but then something changed for the worse... maybe it was their coach... not quite sure...

Jay P
07-09-2009, 03:20 PM
So in the perfect world shouldn't the CSA jump on OBW and try and recruit him?
i think OBW has committed to playing for Jamaica already :(

Yohan
07-09-2009, 03:21 PM
I really don't see Jamaica as a threat in Concacaf anymore... they used to have a solid team but then something changed for the worse... maybe it was their coach... not quite sure...
considering how many of their players play in Europe, really no reason why Jamaica shouldn't be competitive

Whitmore looks like another good player turned into crap manager

Jay P
07-09-2009, 03:22 PM
The way Canada played vs Jamaica and El Salvador... that was truly different...

I agree, but I give the credit to the style of play under Hart more than anything :canada:

jaahuuu
07-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I talked to him before the Galaxy game (June 6), he said he was going to the doctor "the middle of next week" so I'm guessing June 10ish and he said he was hoping to start regular training after that. That's not alot of info, and its kinda outdated but it's all I've got.

Jamaicanadian
07-09-2009, 04:11 PM
considering how many of their players play in Europe, really no reason why Jamaica shouldn't be competitive

Come on at least give the guy a chance to fail............

Yohan
07-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Come on at least give the guy a chance to fail............
two games, two losses, zero goals scored.

one more game to turn it around? lol

FluSH
07-09-2009, 07:51 PM

hmmm not necessarily true... Mexico has the majority of it's national team playing in their home league and they've almost always have made it to the WC.

Having a strong national league that plays together is also good...

Jamaicanadian
07-09-2009, 09:09 PM
two games, two losses, zero goals scored.

one more game to turn it around? lol

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing :rolleyes:

Merlin
07-09-2009, 11:48 PM
From watching little clips of OBW practicing, it doesn't look like he's up to game speed at all. This could be an injury waiting to happen if we try and rush him back too quickly.

Can't they give him games with the reserves or anything along those lines?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-09-2009, 11:55 PM
no more reserve league.
im sure winsper and cummins know what they are doing

Yohan
07-09-2009, 11:55 PM
From watching little clips of OBW practicing, it doesn't look like he's up to game speed at all. This could be an injury waiting to happen if we try and rush him back too quickly.

Can't they give him games with the reserves or anything along those lines?
no reserve league this year.

looks like none first team players are playing against Uni/local teams to stay somewhat match fit

Oldtimer
07-10-2009, 07:15 AM
The matchday report shows OBW as "out," so I guess they decided in the end he's not going to play.

Pachuco
07-10-2009, 09:00 AM
The matchday report shows OBW as "out," so I guess they decided in the end he's not going to play.

So much for that. I got exited. Maybe they are lining up a White/Gerba debut at BMO field, that would be cool.

Ageroo
07-10-2009, 09:03 AM

I just noticed that as well...not good news if that is true. But...I have noticed that sometimes MLS has not been that quick at updating it as well.

Ron Manager
07-10-2009, 11:57 AM
no reserve league this year.

looks like none first team players are playing against Uni/local teams to stay somewhat match fit

I wonder if we are allowed to "loan" players to the senior academy team?

maninb
07-10-2009, 01:37 PM
"I really don't see Jamaica as a threat in Concacaf anymore... they used to have a solid team but then something changed for the worse... maybe it was their coach... not quite sure..."

The Reggae Boys were 80% British born lads...that's the ONLY reason Jamaica had a good run...Most of the British born Jamaicans now are being taken by England, and are no longer available for Jamaica...

Jamaicanadian
07-10-2009, 04:16 PM
^^^Pure nonsense lol

FluSH
07-10-2009, 04:24 PM
If Usain Bolt took up futbol! Can you imagine that... lol Let's say he took up footy and played like a pro... $100million for Cristiano Ronaldo pffft that would be nothing.

prizby
07-10-2009, 04:44 PM
I wonder if we are allowed to "loan" players to the senior academy team?

allowed to loan to USL...so why not loan to montreal or something

julius james is on loan to minnesota

DreFuss
07-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Will White be dressed for the game vs Houston?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-14-2009, 12:02 PM
he was on the bench in San Jose, id expect this would be the same

TFC07
07-14-2009, 12:03 PM
White is our saviour? Just reading comments on this forum in past makes it seem so.

Shway
07-14-2009, 12:27 PM
thats why i said TFC should have a U-23,
so OB dub can atleast play there before comming to play in serious competition,
its bit of a shock to say the least, to come off injury, and then play in league game,
no practice games or anything.

GARBER BRING BACK RESERVE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TorontoBlades
07-14-2009, 12:35 PM

We still picked him ahead of Stefan Frei - and that is saying something, maybe not everyone was going to let him fall far in the draft. That said, his worth to us as a domestic made him much more attractive to us over the rest of the clubs.

AL-MO
07-14-2009, 12:35 PM
White is our saviour? Just reading comments on this forum in past makes it seem so.

I don't think its just this one ;)

TorontoBlades
07-14-2009, 12:36 PM
thats why i said TFC should have a U-23,
so OB dub can atleast play there before comming to play in serious competition,
its bit of a shock to say the least, to come off injury, and then play in league game,
no practice games or anything.

GARBER BRING BACK RESERVE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think when times are a bit better ecenomically - you will see the return of reserve squads. Hopefully a bit better organized next time around too

Shway
07-14-2009, 12:46 PM
all they have to do is just a east and west division, it cuts travel cost like TFC should never be playing Seattle reserves, that was the reason why they found expenses high, poor organization

flatpicker
07-14-2009, 01:19 PM
all they have to do is just a east and west division, it cuts travel cost like TFC should never be playing Seattle reserves, that was the reason why they found expenses high, poor organization

not a bad idea...
it would mean more games against fewer teams...
but that's not important... it's about getting playing time.

Shway
07-14-2009, 01:24 PM
yeaa thats the bigger picture, needs a thread of its own ;)

olegunnar
07-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Heard the best chance for him to play is against River Plate

Nuvinho
07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
OBW will probably play July 22nd.