PDA

View Full Version : Question about TFC's marketing

Roogsy
07-08-2009, 10:15 PM
This isn't directed specifically at MLSinToronto so please let's avoid the attacks and insults, however, if Paul would like to answer, I would certainly love to hear his thoughts.

Let me start by saying that the team did deserve kudos for the way they allowed the organic enthusiasm for the team to develop from before the first season started to this day. They are definitely trying to keep the "tradition" of soccer while capitalizing on the north american marketing system.

However...

I am finding myself continuously dismayed at the poor marketing job this team is doing to expand it's brand and specifically, it's players.

We are in the middle of the season. We are fighting for playoff spots. We are Canadian champions. And yes, the team and sport are constantly finding themselves fighting for coverage on the nightly news or in some newspapers (the Sun, being a "sponsor" being one of the worst is a major point of bitterness for me), however, the team itself falls short in many ways.

Their multi-media efforts are top notch. Probably the best in the league. TFC TV, the new TFC programs on Gol TV etc. However, these efforts and pretty much everything they do only reach one audience. Already existing fans.

The problem I have is that they can do so much more. I am no marketing guru nor do I work in advertising, publicity or marketing, but I have been around these industries enough to know that TFC is not capitalizing enough on their brand or especially their players.

For example...when I was DC for the TFC game last year....they had MASSIVE Moreno and Gallardo banners hanging at the entrance of RFK stadium. You can see them from miles away. In LA, of course they had Beckham and Donovan. And from what I understand, up until last year, Houston had a massive DeRo banner hanging near the airport.

Such a simple initiative...and yet nothing? I drive by the stadium on the Gardiner and of course BMO has done an incredibly good job branding itself to the stadium...there are at least 3 visible BMO logos as you drive by. They know what they are doing. TFC? Very little. Do they have a huge banner of Dichio? Their new star DeRo? The players get invited by the Footy Show to appear, but does the team initiate things like getting more players on TSN with Lansberg for example?

They've also gotten away from events. I know these are tedious for the players, but getting out there, getting their faces known...that's important. The fashion show from last year for example, great idea. This year? Nada.

This organization should not let their foot off the gas pedal. Seriously. It seems this year they are resting on their laurels a little bit. In my opinion, the team needed to do some serious bragging about the Canadian championship, but it all came off as an afterthought.

I think my point is that they need to step up in the professionalism department. TFC need to be leaders in MLS, not settle for the second-rate type of thinking that predominates this league. They need to act like a major sports team in this city and right now, they are letting themselves be bullied by the established teams like the Leafs, Raptors and Jays.

The team has the benefit of a fervent fan base. Start getting out there and pushing your weight around. If you don't...sports fans in this city will never take the team seriously.

I'd like to see Danny Dichio do the weather like Bosh did on CTV a few weeks ago. I'd like to see a banner of De Ro hanging from the rafters of BMO so that the whole world can see it from the Gardiner. I'd like to see those Rona commercials with Jimmy and Poz back! Come on TFC...don't let these crucial years stagnate the growth of this club. The buzz doesn't have to subside! Get'r done!

Thoughts?

vilerichard
07-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Something like this?

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,823453,00.jpg

Roogsy
07-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Sure why not. Where is that?

The point is...other than the fan experience, I really haven't seen anything "innovative" from this team in terms of marketing and growing it's audience.

Yes...you've captivated the 20k who attend the games. But what are they doing to expand their TV audience? Their newspaper/nightly news coverage? Are they doing everything they can to imprint themselves on the Torontonian's psyche?

Lennon
07-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Something like this?

Haha wow that's awesome ...

Cas87
07-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Something like this?

Would love to see that featuring Frei and a 35 ft tall DeRo somewhere along the lakeshore
(Idea for next years indy?!?!?!?)

vilerichard
07-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Sure why not. Where is that?

It's apparently near the airport in Munich, though I haven't seen it myself:

Technical data: Width: 65m
Height: 18m
Vertical clearance: 5.30m (at the sides) / 8.60m (in the centre)
Volume: 4,130m³
Weight: 113t steel
No. of construction elements: 9,830
Total length of construction elements: 11.3km
No. of screws used: 9,800
No. of stainless steel washers used: 9,800
No. of hours needed for construction: 6,200

http://www.press.adidas.com/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-16/94_read-6463/

But yeah, I'd like to see Frei outside of a Pearson terminal like this. Would be a great welcome to the city. :)

Cashcleaner
07-08-2009, 11:55 PM
I totally agree with what Roogsy is saying. BMO Field certainly stands out and I think it would be obvious to most people that its a soccer stadium and the home of TFC, but other than the name, the colours, and location of the stadium; I don't think many people still really know much about Toronto FC. There are plenty of soccer fans at my work and they all seem to have at least a bit of interest in Toronto FC, but aside from some knowing a bit about DeRo, they really don't know the roster or coaching squad. Many don't even know what league we play in.

Yes, we're already filling up the stadium on a weekly basis; but like it was mentioned, we really need to boost the home audience watching on tv or listening to games on the radio.

TFC111
07-09-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't think the team should be chasing after people who don't like soccer. Chasing after fans is how soccer has always failed in North America. Let the fans come to the game, don't chase them like NASL and MLS in its early years used to with stupid gimmicks like penalty shot breakaways and things. Whenver you get "new" fans, they start making stupid outrageous demands like when the Americans wanted the glowing puck for hockey.

Yohan
07-09-2009, 12:10 AM
I don't think the team should be chasing after people who don't like soccer. Chasing after fans is how soccer has always failed in North America. Let the fans come to the game, don't chase them like NASL and MLS in its early years used to.
the fans aren't going to take an interest in TFC if they know nothing about the team

you have to attract attention before they can taken an interest

CDNSoccerFan
07-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Something like this?

that's an accident waiting to happen

grizzle
07-09-2009, 01:02 AM
I know I have seen the street pole banners around the city and a few billboards, but you are right, there isn't a whole lot. The Toronto team I see the most advertising for is the Blue Jays and I think this has to do with them having so many empty seats. With all marketing efforts you want to see a ROI and that is hard to do to things you can't directly co-relate to an actual sale.

Sure, they could spend another million on building up the brand trying to get more TV viewers, but I think they are operating on such narrow margins that they don't see something like this as a great ROI.

I am actually quite impressed on how popular the team has become primarily on word of mouth advertising.

I think your suggestions of having some big billboards around the stadium would be really cool, but maybe there is an issue with this because the city owns it and would want way too much money for something like this. Also, sponsors like BMO might complain (ya, its far fetched but I wouldn't put it passed any corporation) saying it takes away from their advertisement (who knows).

What I think could also work as a form of advertising without spending a ton of money is if they relaxed on the rules in the supporters sections and worked with them more closely. I.e. allowing things like flares, smoke bombs, etc. in a controlled environment which might catch more media attention. Though, I highly doubt they will ever do that as I think they are trying to portray a strange marketing image. Really they need to try and identify their target market and stick with it instead of trying to get a little bit from everywhere.

Getting the players on shows shouldn't be that hard. I am sure a lot of those shows are always looking for people (esp. if its a local show).

I think its an interesting topic, but really I don't think they will do much until they either expand BMO or are close to moving to a bigger stadium (if that happens).

torontocelt
07-09-2009, 06:09 AM
that's an accident waiting to happen

That was for the germany world cup, it is oliver kahn. Football is massive in germany and the world cup is the biggest sporting event in the world next to the olympics.

massive_magpie
07-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Last year there was a great TFC ad on the Lakeshore East GO line (roughly around St. Lawrence market) that had Robbo looking down in disgust at another player on the ground with a caption along the lines of 'respect is earned on this field' ... wish there was more of that!

ensco
07-09-2009, 07:09 AM
How did spending money on promoting Gallardo and Beckham work out for the guys in the marketing departments at DC and the galaxy, I wonder? Maybe it's better to focus on the brand given player turnover rates...

Outdoor advertising is a close relative of TV advertising, in terms of how the ad media world works (ie thousands of eyeballs, "impressions", etc). Until TFC's TV ratings do better....

Re Dichio on CTV, that is a great idea, but I'm guessing CTV don't want him because its viewers mostly don't know who he is.

The only way people will "discover" TFC in bigger numbers if they're a winner, imho.

rocker
07-09-2009, 07:29 AM
I think TFC's purchase of GolTV and plastering TFC all over it was a pretty good promo move. Rather than just advertise on billboards or events, which is hit and miss really, they are trying to get right into people's homes with real TFC content (deeper kind of connection).... targetted at people who already like the sport but maybe aren't over to the TFC side yet.

jabbronies
07-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Something like this?

This was done by Adidas for last Euro Cup in Germany. It may be gone by now.
If you speak german, read away: http://www.tbwa.de/Adidas_1.html

Detroit_TFC
07-09-2009, 08:16 AM
MLS hired some new people to assist clubs with marketing but I imagine that's more geared to moving more tickets, which we don't need. We need to build our tv audience and that takes a lot of expensive electronic advertising, with limited shortterm results (eg it takes a lot of adverts to get people's attention and get them interested).

cementhead
07-09-2009, 08:21 AM
TFC do not do a hell of a lot trying to sell this team out side Toronto I speak to people about this team and where they play and half still don,t now where BMO field is and that MLS is the major soccer league in Canada and US.

olegunnar
07-09-2009, 08:31 AM
The marketing for 2009 can be summed up in 4 words

Real Madrid Gol TV

Steve
07-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I think TFC's purchase of GolTV and plastering TFC all over it was a pretty good promo move. Rather than just advertise on billboards or events, which is hit and miss really, they are trying to get right into people's homes with real TFC content (deeper kind of connection).... targetted at people who already like the sport but maybe aren't over to the TFC side yet.

I agree with this point. TFC has had a pretty stable strategy throughout, find the soccer fans, get them on board. I mean, in a city like Toronto, you don't have to aim at people who don't like soccer, because you have so many who already do. Besides that, campaigns aimed at converting other sports fans will never really come off well. Better to convert the soccer fans, and let them convert other people for you (you're more likely to listen to your friends or family about how great the game is than a billboard).

In that regard, TFC started with a campaign of reaching out to the supporters in pubs and asking them what they wanted. It was successful. It got the word out. But it has run its course (if you continue to focus too much on stuff like that, you risk being seen as an amateur league begging for fans). Their next step has been GolTV. Personally, I think that's a brilliant decision. Sure, I think some of their programing is a little heavy handed right now (too much TFC programing kind of shows your hand at having a vested interest) but all in all they have the right idea. Get TFC and MLS updates onto a channel that fans are already watching, get it into their heads that TFC is a real, pro, team, and they might give TFC a chance.

jaahuuu
07-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Something like this?

I saw this when I was there in 2006. I went by on the train tracks near by, not on the highway that passed under it, but it was still pretty amazing. There was a back to the adidas ad as well, so anybody that didn't know that it was Kahn could read it off the back of his jersey. But do you really think something like this would work in Toronto? The people who know who Frei is would no doubt appreciate it, but do you think any body who isn't already a tfc fan would care at all, other that it being a pretty amazing concept?

jabbronies
07-09-2009, 09:02 AM
They had some good things going the past few years with the TTC Streetcar take overs, the banners hanging off the street lights throughout the city and in year 1 -Billboards with Ronnie O'Brien.

TFC needs more Exposure at Yonge/Dundas square. The adidas store does a good job with displaying the kit in the store front windows, but there needs to be more billboards there relating to TFC.

Hitcho
07-09-2009, 09:02 AM
I agree with this point. TFC has had a pretty stable strategy throughout, find the soccer fans, get them on board. I mean, in a city like Toronto, you don't have to aim at people who don't like soccer, because you have so many who already do. Besides that, campaigns aimed at converting other sports fans will never really come off well. Better to convert the soccer fans, and let them convert other people for you (you're more likely to listen to your friends or family about how great the game is than a billboard).

In that regard, TFC started with a campaign of reaching out to the supporters in pubs and asking them what they wanted. It was successful. It got the word out. But it has run its course (if you continue to focus too much on stuff like that, you risk being seen as an amateur league begging for fans). Their next step has been GolTV. Personally, I think that's a brilliant decision. Sure, I think some of their programing is a little heavy handed right now (too much TFC programing kind of shows your hand at having a vested interest) but all in all they have the right idea. Get TFC and MLS updates onto a channel that fans are already watching, get it into their heads that TFC is a real, pro, team, and they might give TFC a chance.

I think Steve is on the money here. Get the core fan base on board first, and strengthen it. if you want the team to survive in the long term, you've got to build a decent core fan base otherwise you'e toast when all the newly weds bugger off to other things (jays, anyone?). Their initial approach plus gol tv were both good moves.

however, i also think roogsy has a major point which others have supported above - get TFC on the freakin news channels! I don;t believe for a second that MLSE doesn;t have enough pull with the sports staions to start saying "Right, we want some serious TFC coverage from you guys, doesn;t have to be long time slots, just give us regular mentions on when we are playing, the results and show some goal clips to get people jazzed". Another 60 seconds a day for each major channel would make a big impact - grind the name and team into people's minds. you won;t convert b-ball fans that way, but you will rwach out to latent soccer fans who have not yet made the effort to really get behind the team.

jabbronies
07-09-2009, 09:07 AM
But do you really think something like this would work in Toronto? The people who know who Frei is would no doubt appreciate it, but do you think any body who isn't already a tfc fan would care at all, other that it being a pretty amazing concept?

Of course they will care.
They will care..

1. Because it's an amazing concept
2. Because once other people get talking about how amazing it is, it will be revealed that the keeper is the TFC goalie.

Alot of people measure success by the amount and type of advertising that is done. Sounds dumb, but it's true that's why more people buy coke over RC cola!!

jaahuuu
07-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Also, sponsors like BMO might complain (ya, its far fetched but I wouldn't put it passed any corporation) saying it takes away from their advertisement (who knows).
You might be closer that you think. In 1988 when the Buffalo Bisons opened their new stadium, Pilot Field, the naming rights agreement with Pilot Air Frieght said that nothing other that the stadium name was to appear on the outside of the stadium. After a few seasons the team put Home of the Buffalo Bisons and the team logo on the back of the scoreboard, the side that faces the highway. Pilot stopped paying and sued the team and the city (the stadium was owned by the city).

mmmikey
07-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Something like this?

unfair example. us germans always do things better than everyone else.

*hides*

(we hide better too!!)

mmmikey
07-09-2009, 10:02 AM
however, i also think roogsy has a major point which others have supported above - get TFC on the freakin news channels! I don;t believe for a second that MLSE doesn;t have enough pull with the sports staions to start saying "Right, we want some serious TFC coverage from you guys, doesn;t have to be long time slots, just give us regular mentions on when we are playing, the results and show some goal clips to get people jazzed". Another 60 seconds a day for each major channel would make a big impact - grind the name and team into people's minds. you won;t convert b-ball fans that way, but you will rwach out to latent soccer fans who have not yet made the effort to really get behind the team.

totally.. there are lots of ppl who take a general interest in all sports. this would be a terrific spot to increase our exposure. it would allow the average sports fan to get familiar with the team without actually devoting time to doing research. ppl live busy lives and can't always take the time out to look into stuff. we might be missing out on alot of potential fans who just haven't fallen in love with the team yet. it's like that friend you had in school. shes ok, just a friend, but then u keep seeing her, hanging out.. and before you know it your freakin married. (it's a good thing, i swear! :)

im hoping that they have a marketing campaign ready if JDG signs. that sounds like the PERFECT chance to go crazy with marketing and publicizing a single star canadian player. being canadian will win over alot of ppl.

a cheap source of advertising to LOTS of ppl.. the TTC. specifically subways. have u seen the kinds of ads on those subways? not exactly rich companies only.. ppl spend 20-30 minutes at a time just staring at these things. u put on something cool like a nice shot of a goal with the south stands going nuts in the background and a couple of faces with names underneath. i guarantee ppl will walk away with the name "dichio" in their heads.

Oldtimer
07-09-2009, 10:15 AM
im hoping that they have a marketing campaign ready if JDG signs. that sounds like the PERFECT chance to go crazy with marketing and publicizing a single star canadian player. being canadian will win over alot of ppl.

It won't win over the general sports fan (Julian who?), but they could win over fans of La Liga. The fact that he's Canadian plays more with Voyageurs types, the average Canadian couldn't care less.

phonzo
07-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Billboards are meant to grab your attention with wow factor. Then word of mouth kicks in..."you see the billboard with the tfc player exploding through it"

flambe
07-09-2009, 10:31 AM
I think the Oliver Khan project was awesome, however, who much $$ did it cost to build that goliath?

It would certainly increase brand awareness, but I would find it difficult to believe that there would be a substantial ROI.

There are numerous things that TFC could be doing to promote the club.

Fully utilise the internet, viral campaigns, downloadable content, competitions (outside of MLS) etc, google adwords, facebook marketing (I'm sure they are already doing this, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a TFC ad on yahoo!)
EA Sports, Fifa10 is out soonish, why not have a release party with EA? Why not have an online tournement, winners get to play TFC team members etc
Partnerships, there is currently a OLGC (Daily Keno) initiative going on, more of this....
Run some new TV spots, the current ones are getting a little old, not exactly what I mean, but I loved this when it came out
TcqbtQ5Dkxk

Street Marketing, PSA's, Intuitive Mass Media exposure (Little Italy, Danforth etc)
Also, and I think this is an important one. Word of mouth, being avid supporters as we all all, it is our job to help spread the word and support the team as best we can. Facebook, twitter, bring friends to games who would normally never go, that kind of thing. Get them interested in TFC.

Just my 2c's

Troll
07-09-2009, 10:35 AM
How many of you guys would complain bout TFC spending their money on that over a real grass pitch?

flambe
07-09-2009, 10:40 AM
How many of you guys would complain bout TFC spending their money on that over a real grass pitch?

:lol:

The Kingpin
07-09-2009, 10:43 AM
This was a basic executive summary that was presented to Paul Bierne about 3-4 months ago. It was sent after a long discussion and a few follow ups. After it was sent, it was followed up three times to no avail, the effort stemming from the request was ignored. The program has now been presented to a football club in the UK and they will be looking to execute it with a slight variation.

Presented to: XXXXXX
Presented by: Patrick Kavanagh in association with The European Marketing Agency

Objective:

Create a turn-key traveling interactive road show with the potential to turn profit that would launch at a desirable period to capitalise on new merchandise sales, while showcasing MLS sponsor brands and franchisee’s to all aspects of the grassroots football community in the USA and Canada. The end goal would be to export this program to partners in Europe and Eastern Asia.

Potential Partners:

Adidas, Budweiser, Visa, Panasonic, VW, Gatorade, The Home Depot, Glidden, Sierra Mist, Red Bull, Makita, Xbox 360t

Potential Charity Partners:

MLS Works or alternate; we could create a venue for charitable partners to speak to supporters, there could be multiple ways to add to this support mechanism within the event.

Concept Overview:

The MLS Grassroots program will kick off at the (TIME OF CHOICE) then travel to key soccer communities throughout the USA & Canada, to teach skills and provide an opportunity for youth (male/female) to meet high profile football stars pertinent to their community. The program was devised to bring the MLS and its grassroots objectives to life in a unique and exciting way. It will fully integrate with web.mlsnet.com and other programs set for implementation under the grassroots umbrella.

Key Program Message:

• Get the best and most up to date football equipment, use what the pros use… (Adidas, etc.)
• The program would create a WOW impact, not only to the influential youth who we are targeting, but the also the key purchaser - the parent.
• Have piece of mind when your child is on the pitch as innovative Adidas football equipment is ASTM approved and made with safety and performance in mind.

The Interactive Experience – MLS Touring Show:

Come to your local retailer (Dick’s Sporting Goods/The Home Depot or alternative) and interact with numerous fun filled/challenging games that continue to support the current media campaign “F’09 Campaign Here” and/or Adidas “Adidas International Training Program/Share the Journey” endorsed programs ie:
• Football Tag, switch/rotate lineups mid scrimmage to learn how to play with multiple players and play multiple positions.
• Most shots in a period of time (ie: 30sec.)
• Video Game partner (Xbox 360) for kids to play their team/players with friends and family

Meet with a MLS/Team USA/Team Canada Current/Alumni stars

• Get an autograph
• Talk football safety with a Adidas RSM, player, local coach
• Player and coach to run a few drills and teach football technique

Try on some new and innovative Adidas gear

• Work with event Staff and Adidas sales team to increase customer service to event guests and feel the quality and value
• Gear Include: kits, boots, shin guards, etc.
• Have the opportunity to purchase personalized MLS shirts… My Shirt… My MLS. (multiple sizing/All Adidas sponsored teams)

Viral Photo Opportunity

• Get a picture with MLS/Team USA/Canada Alumni footballer and have it e-mailed to you
• Photo will be branded MLS/Adidas/Local Club and it’ll have local team schedule/promo info as well as links to season ticket specials accessible via unique pin.
• e-Data capture opportunity with viral component
• Estimated 18:1 viral ratio, increasing program/MLS exposure

Public Relations/Call to Action
• Local football leagues
• Local middle/high schools
• Local media
• Web bugs
• Text

Sales Opportunity:

Dick’s/Centre Sports (or alternative retailer) to be fully stocked with Adidas/MLS merchandise for sale and/or have independent on-line kiosk for web orders.
• Parlay the event experience into sales
• Displays the true breadth of products in the Adidas/MLS catalogue
• Create your own Adidas custom footwear in the “Mi Adidas”
• Opportunity to generate revenue for Adidas and local retailer

Key Possible Extension:

The “mi Soccer Coach” Program

In conjunction with the MLS, create a fully functional in school P.E. program similar to localised participation programs. The goal of this program would be to have it inserted right into the P.E. curriculum, promoting health and wellness to the desired target as well as positive brand association for Adidas and the MLS.

The program called “mi Soccer Coach” would include:

• National on-line competition between schools
• Props, pylons, necessary tools MLS/Adidas logo
• Curriculum pre-prep/training manuals and DVDs/On-Line video links
• Local league sign-up information
• Incentive to purchase Adidas products/MLS tickets

Possible Alternate Extensions:

• Soccer Tour branded products
• Adidas “mi Soccer Coach” Isometric Dry Land Football Training On-Line Program/DVD
• Adidas running shoe vehicles at event to support dry land training. Included would be a basic product knowledge and footwear specific session and a “run around the block” to test the shoe in your environment.

Hitcho
07-09-2009, 10:46 AM
a cheap source of advertising to LOTS of ppl.. the TTC. specifically subways. have u seen the kinds of ads on those subways? not exactly rich companies only.. ppl spend 20-30 minutes at a time just staring at these things. u put on something cool like a nice shot of a goal with the south stands going nuts in the background and a couple of faces with names underneath. i guarantee ppl will walk away with the name "dichio" in their heads.

Absolutely agree. A bland ad with TFC on it and saying get tickets at this number would fail hopelessly. But an impact ad which really underscores the passion and atmosphere would be a great idea. Dichio pulling that face after scoring, the south end flags waving and a message "Feel the passion - Toronto FC" or something. massive exposure, and people are going to stare at it and wonder what it would be like. It's better than staring at the male infertility clinic ads that seem to populate the subway trains these days.

The problem is, to non-converted fans the games on tv are dull. it's fine having a great atmospere at the ground, and people seemt o know all abotut his already in my book, but if you cannot get tickets to sold out games then what good does it do? watching on tv is lame in comparison, especially to a new fan. that's where it hink highlight reels on tv news etc would be so important - grab people from the highlights to get them into it rather than asking them to watch 90 mins for a 1-0 win.

The Kingpin
07-09-2009, 10:48 AM
The reason I post this, is simple, the opportunities are the... The gumption is not. You are right Roogsy.

H Bomb
07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I wish MLSE had a single owner we could get rid of...They dont market to us, so naturally it seems shitty, and is shitty. But they dont give a fuck what we think so to them this is irrelevant. All we're doing is talking about the price of tea in China.

FluSH
07-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Something like this?

That is amazing! Is that Khan? can you imagine something like that in T.O.??

flambe
07-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Presented to: XXXXXX
Presented by: Patrick Kavanagh in association with The European Marketing Agency

Objective:

Create a turn-key traveling interactive road show with the potential to turn profit that would launch at a desirable period to capitalise on new merchandise sales, while showcasing MLS sponsor brands and franchisee’s to all aspects of the grassroots football community in the USA and Canada. The end goal would be to export this program to partners in Europe and Eastern Asia.
This is great for Adidas (first objective is to turn profit), but doesn't really help club awareness for TFC IMO

Potential Partners:

Adidas, Budweiser, Visa, Panasonic, VW, Gatorade, The Home Depot, Glidden, Sierra Mist, Red Bull, Makita, Xbox 360t

Potential Charity Partners:

MLS Works or alternate; we could create a venue for charitable partners to speak to supporters, there could be multiple ways to add to this support mechanism within the event.
Would only work if Toronto (Provincial/Canadian at a minimum) charities were partnered I think.

Concept Overview:

The MLS Grassroots program will kick off at the (TIME OF CHOICE) then travel to key soccer communities throughout the USA & Canada, to teach skills and provide an opportunity for youth (male/female) to meet high profile football stars pertinent to their community. The program was devised to bring the MLS and its grassroots objectives to life in a unique and exciting way. It will fully integrate with web.mlsnet.com and other programs set for implementation under the grassroots umbrella.
Great!

Key Program Message:

• Get the best and most up to date football equipment, use what the pros use… (Adidas, etc.)
• The program would create a WOW impact, not only to the influential youth who we are targeting, but the also the key purchaser - the parent.
• Have piece of mind when your child is on the pitch as innovative Adidas football equipment is ASTM approved and made with safety and performance in mind.
Isn't this just a glorified sales pitch then?

The Interactive Experience – MLS Touring Show:

Come to your local retailer (Dick’s Sporting Goods/The Home Depot or alternative) and interact with numerous fun filled/challenging games that continue to support the current media campaign “F’09 Campaign Here” and/or Adidas “Adidas International Training Program/Share the Journey” endorsed programs ie:
• Football Tag, switch/rotate lineups mid scrimmage to learn how to play with multiple players and play multiple positions.
• Most shots in a period of time (ie: 30sec.)
• Video Game partner (Xbox 360) for kids to play their team/players with friends and family
Cool, good community level interaction

Meet with a MLS/Team USA/Team Canada Current/Alumni stars

• Get an autograph
• Talk football safety with a Adidas RSM, player, local coach
• Player and coach to run a few drills and teach football technique

Try on some new and innovative Adidas gear

• Work with event Staff and Adidas sales team to increase customer service to event guests and feel the quality and value
• Gear Include: kits, boots, shin guards, etc.
• Have the opportunity to purchase personalized MLS shirts… My Shirt… My MLS. (multiple sizing/All Adidas sponsored teams)

Viral Photo Opportunity

• Get a picture with MLS/Team USA/Canada Alumni footballer and have it e-mailed to you
• Photo will be branded MLS/Adidas/Local Club and it’ll have local team schedule/promo info as well as links to season ticket specials accessible via unique pin.
• e-Data capture opportunity with viral component
• Estimated 18:1 viral ratio, increasing program/MLS exposure
18:1?
1 new visitor per 18 initial photo signups?
This is a fine idea in principle as it will increase the potential e-marketing base by x%. I'm not sure how this would be considered a true viral component. Is the intent to invite people to se your photo and sign-up? Cause if so, good luck with that!

Public Relations/Call to Action
• Local football leagues
• Local middle/high schools
• Local media
• Web bugs
• Text

Sales Opportunity:

Dick’s/Centre Sports (or alternative retailer) to be fully stocked with Adidas/MLS merchandise for sale and/or have independent on-line kiosk for web orders.
• Parlay the event experience into sales
• Displays the true breadth of products in the Adidas/MLS catalogue
• Create your own Adidas custom footwear in the “Mi Adidas”
• Opportunity to generate revenue for Adidas and local retailer

Key Possible Extension:

The “mi Soccer Coach” Program

In conjunction with the MLS, create a fully functional in school P.E. program similar to localised participation programs. The goal of this program would be to have it inserted right into the P.E. curriculum, promoting health and wellness to the desired target as well as positive brand association for Adidas and the MLS.

The program called “mi Soccer Coach” would include:

• National on-line competition between schools
• Props, pylons, necessary tools MLS/Adidas logo
• Curriculum pre-prep/training manuals and DVDs/On-Line video links
• Local league sign-up information
• Incentive to purchase Adidas products/MLS tickets

Possible Alternate Extensions:

• Soccer Tour branded products
• Adidas “mi Soccer Coach” Isometric Dry Land Football Training On-Line Program/DVD
• Adidas running shoe vehicles at event to support dry land training. Included would be a basic product knowledge and footwear specific session and a “run around the block” to test the shoe in your environment.

Overall a fine plan, but I am unsure that this will help brand awereness for anyone other than Adidas :facepalm:.

mmmikey
07-09-2009, 11:12 AM
It won't win over the general sports fan (Julian who?), but they could win over fans of La Liga. The fact that he's Canadian plays more with Voyageurs types, the average Canadian couldn't care less.

yeah, they don't know him. YET.

TFC signs a canadian player and the news comes out stating that he is being paid the most in the league 2nd to beckham (everyone's ears perk up now). we can't just assume taht since no one knows these players already, that they can't come to know them.

thats the point of advertising right, reach ppl who don't already know the brand/players. it all has to start somewhere, and a distinctively toronto type canadian player (half jamaican/half filipino, how multicultural! the news stations LOVE to talk about that stuff) with his distinctive hair (the valderama effect.. so many casual watchers of the world cup still think of this dude), its a terrific opportunity.

if everyone knew who he was already, we wouldn't have this thread. :)

The Kingpin
07-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Overall a fine plan, but I am unsure that this will help brand awereness for anyone other than Adidas :facepalm:.

I think you've missed the core elements:

a) The 18:1 is pass on via e-mail/facebook/etc. - it would obviously be branded.
b) You must bring in corporate partners to make things financially viable.
c) This plan was created for the MLS as a whole vs. TFC (My omission)
d) Charity partners can vary from region to region
e) "glorified sales pitch", of course it is, this is still marketing, at least this provides some level of trial and experience
f)In totality - all elements and interactions would be on behalf of the football club

Your analysis was way too short sighted in my opinion. But hey, it's much easier to be the critic!! :canada:

H Bomb
07-09-2009, 11:16 AM
the guy who thinks everything is a brand is calling someone short sighted

mmmikey
07-09-2009, 11:24 AM
The reason I post this, is simple, the opportunities are the... The gumption is not. You are right Roogsy.

that's a cool and ambitious plan u posted kingpin..

i wonder if the failure lies with MLS though and not so much with MLSE/TFC. the league as a whole seems fairly stubborn with their marketing approach and aren't really willing to step out onto a limb financially.

TFC could do this on a smaller scale in the southern ontario area, and eventually across the country. but i'm afraid we would lose the "big time league" impression this could create if it was solely funded/operated by TFC.

it would be nice if TFC could freely partner with other ownership groups that aren't so financially scared. get vancouver, seattle and toronto together and do something on their own, maybe get LA or something as well. probably an MLS rule against that kind of thing though..

Roogsy
07-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I know I have seen the street pole banners around the city and a few billboards, but you are right, there isn't a whole lot. The Toronto team I see the most advertising for is the Blue Jays and I think this has to do with them having so many empty seats. With all marketing efforts you want to see a ROI and that is hard to do to things you can't directly co-relate to an actual sale.

Sure, they could spend another million on building up the brand trying to get more TV viewers, but I think they are operating on such narrow margins that they don't see something like this as a great ROI.

I am actually quite impressed on how popular the team has become primarily on word of mouth advertising.

I think your suggestions of having some big billboards around the stadium would be really cool, but maybe there is an issue with this because the city owns it and would want way too much money for something like this. Also, sponsors like BMO might complain (ya, its far fetched but I wouldn't put it passed any corporation) saying it takes away from their advertisement (who knows).

What I think could also work as a form of advertising without spending a ton of money is if they relaxed on the rules in the supporters sections and worked with them more closely. I.e. allowing things like flares, smoke bombs, etc. in a controlled environment which might catch more media attention. Though, I highly doubt they will ever do that as I think they are trying to portray a strange marketing image. Really they need to try and identify their target market and stick with it instead of trying to get a little bit from everywhere.

Getting the players on shows shouldn't be that hard. I am sure a lot of those shows are always looking for people (esp. if its a local show).

I think its an interesting topic, but really I don't think they will do much until they either expand BMO or are close to moving to a bigger stadium (if that happens).

I am not sure I agree with this "don't spend any money" sort of approach. It's exactly the sort of thing that holds companies back. This is the time TFC should be maximizing it's brand growth. They know they have to spend money. You don't do it once you're big, you do it to GET big.

And yes, word of mouth has been impressive, but that has a shelf-life as well as a ceiling. It will only work to an extent. Beyond that, you need marketing campaigns and promotions to take growth to the next level.

This has nothing to do with a "bigger stadium". You use what you've got. We have a stadium that can be used and yet isn't. But also, who said their marketing is limited to what they can do at the stadium?

Roogsy
07-09-2009, 11:26 AM
How did spending money on promoting Gallardo and Beckham work out for the guys in the marketing departments at DC and the galaxy, I wonder? Maybe it's better to focus on the brand given player turnover rates...

Outdoor advertising is a close relative of TV advertising, in terms of how the ad media world works (ie thousands of eyeballs, "impressions", etc). Until TFC's TV ratings do better....

Re Dichio on CTV, that is a great idea, but I'm guessing CTV don't want him because its viewers mostly don't know who he is.

The only way people will "discover" TFC in bigger numbers if they're a winner, imho.

So no marketing until they win?

And if they don't win for a few years, no marketing until then?

This isn't an issue of the chicken or the egg. The Jays sucked for their first 10 years but had constant growth in that period. Why? Marketing.

The same with the Raptors.

Roogsy
07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Billboards are meant to grab your attention with wow factor. Then word of mouth kicks in..."you see the billboard with the tfc player exploding through it"

For real.

This is thinking outside of the box. What reason is there for not doing this?

flambe
07-09-2009, 11:37 AM
I think you've missed the core elements:

a) The 18:1 is pass on via e-mail/facebook/etc. - it would obviously be branded.

b) You must bring in corporate partners to make things financially viable. Of course, and the scope of this endeavour would require a fairly substancial partnership base. However, at the end of the day, it still doesn't really increase the average persons brand awareness of TFC. But I'm not 100% sure that is the intent of this program, right?

c) This plan was created for the MLS as a whole vs. TFC (My omission)

d) Charity partners can vary from region to region
Perfect

e) "glorified sales pitch", of course it is, this is still marketing, at least this provides some level of trial and experience
Trial and experience for Adidas products, yes
Makes me want to go watch Toronto FC, no

f)In totality - all elements and interactions would be on behalf of the football club

Your analysis was way too short sighted in my opinion. But hey, it's much easier to be the critic!! :canada:
I'm am by n means critisizing the plan. I just don't see the relevance of it in getting new supporters into the stands.

I feel it's more of a showcase for Adidas with the exception of the "The Interactive Experience" and "Viral Photo" aspects.

In terms of the viral photo, how about getting supporters to upload pictures of themselves in their TFC shirts. All of the photo's can go into making a giant photo mosaic of DeRo or Dichio that will be created and hung at BMO field?

Get creative.

mmmikey
07-09-2009, 11:46 AM
In terms of the viral photo, how about getting supporters to upload pictures of themselves in their TFC shirts. All of the photo's can go into making a giant photo mosaic of DeRo or Dichio that will be created and hung at BMO field?

Get creative.

wow that sounds awesome actually.

The Kingpin
07-09-2009, 12:18 PM
the guy who thinks everything is a brand is calling someone short sighted

Relax mate, and also, you'd be surprised what is a brand that you wouldn't consider to be one. Also, your statement is false, I would say that branding is all around you and virtually everything has to have a brand promise to be effective. Then is must deliver on that promise... Hence the term brand personality. Even humans are brands at times - see Michael Jackson... Michael Jordan, etc etc etc etc etc...

The Kingpin
07-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Get creative.

Great idea!

Now to be brief, consider the fact that all elements will be branded TFC (or alt MLS team). Also, I'm targeting youth, or in essence, the future. A positive experience will draw new fans because TFC is delivering the first 'gift' and 'invite'. 2D Marketing like billboards and the like are moving by the wayside, it's Urban clutter. There needs to be a long term progressive plan vs. some ad hoc non-integrated 'concepts'.

We must note that not all new fans are going to be hardened supporters, so we must look at the Father/Son scenario. Just consider how many times you asked someone how the began supporting a club... It generally starts with: "When I was little my dad took me to....."

flambe
07-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Now to be brief, consider the fact that all elements will be branded TFC (or alt MLS team). Also, I'm targeting youth, or in essence, the future. A positive experience will draw new fans because TFC is delivering the first 'gift' and 'invite'. 2D Marketing like billboards and the like are moving by the wayside, it's Urban clutter. There needs to be a long term progressive plan vs. some ad hoc non-integrated 'concepts'.
A fully integrated approach is by far the best long term solution. However, in this case I feel it will still only appeal to the few that have an active interest in footy already and that is awesome. Your project has great scope and if managed properly will shed a very positive light on which ever clubs chose to adopt the idea.

We must note that not all new fans are going to be hardened supporters, so we must look at the Father/Son scenario. Just consider how many times you asked someone how the began supporting a club... It generally starts with: "When I was little my dad took me to....."
Absolutely, and that is why current supporters "word-of-mouth" is worth it weight in gold as it is in any service/experience industry.

Good luck with the project, I really hope it works out.

The Kingpin
07-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Good luck with the project, I really hope it works out.

Cheers! Thanks. Now Paul just needs to respond!! ;)

But I doubt it - that would require business ethics. And we've seen how he treats loyal TFC supporters.

JonO
07-09-2009, 01:16 PM

But I doubt it - that would require business ethics. And we've seen how he treats loyal TFC supporters.
Need to work on your client development skills...

Steve
07-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Sorry, what are you calling Paul out for again? Because he doesn't like your idea, or because he didn't tell you he doesn't like your idea?

Frankly, if he just doesn't think it's viable, I wouldn't be terribly surprised. To me, nothing in your write-up seems truely innovative. Yes, you used the word "viral" for your photo gimick (the new buzz word for advertisement) but other than the word, there's nothing truely "viral" or effective about it. Since we're dealing with a limited (by nature) number of people this will reach, further limited by those who want a picture, further limited by those who will retrieve the picture, further limited by those who use some sort of social networking site, further limited by those who will upload a branded picture onto said site, further limited by those who wouldn't crop out your brand, you're aiming for a relatively small piece of the pie.

Further, the term "Viral" doesn't mean "putting a picture on a website so others can see". It means something that will be shared by your target market, who will then go on to share it with MORE of your target market, etc. That's why they're so effective, it takes a single investment, and the general population does the sharing themselves. Sure, let's say someone posts the branded picture of themselves on facebook. Do you think all of their friends are going to download that picture, and repost it? If not, there's nothing viral about it, it's just a picture.

Sorry, I'm all for people coming up with new ideas and throwing them around on forums, but calling out someones professionalism because you feel slighted is crossing the line.

Jack
07-09-2009, 01:28 PM

Let's not make it personal, please.

Also, whatever your dealings with the team, if it is a business arrangement or proposal, I don't think airing your grievances or using this against them because they didn't move forward with your proposal is appropriate, at least not through this medium.

You might think your idea is great (otherwise you wouldn't have proposed it!) but others might not think so. There are a lot of different perspectives and just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't make them wrong.

Bobo
07-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Roogsy makes a good point.

I shouldn't be getting so friggin excited when I see a TFC logo in a random place, which usually ends up being a Carlsberg promo in a Portuguese neighbourhood.

Cowboy905
07-09-2009, 02:29 PM
this just came to my email inbox....it's today's Marketing Daily.

Talks about Sports Growth....how ironic!

[ Ultimate Fighting gaining big fans in Canada ]

July 09, 2009 | By Kristin Laird |

Ultimate Fighting Championship has other sports in a choke hold, topping the list of sports gaining interest in Canada, according to a study by Ipsos Reid.
Sports fans were asked whether their interest in various sports had increased, decreased or remained the same for the study, part of Ipsos Reid’s Canadian Sports Monitor.
The proportion of fans that are gaining interest is higher for the UFC than more than 30 other sports and sporting events included in the survey like hockey and the Olympics.
Many UFC fans (39%) say their interest has increased in the past few years. Just 25% of NHL fans, 22% of CFL fans, and 14% of NBA fans say their interest in those leagues has gone up.
“What it suggests to us is once people tune into the UFC and begin to learn more about it, they develop a greater appreciation for it than... for all other sports right now,” said John Mohler, associate vice-president, Ipsos Reid.
Two in 10 Canadian adults (22%) are interested in the UFC, saying they are casual (16%) or avid (6%) fans of the sport, according to the study. The popularity of UFC still trails established sports leagues like the NHL, NBA and MLB with 70%, 26% and 38% interest respectively.
Predictably, the UFC tends to be more appealing to a younger, male demographic. Approximately one in three Canadian males say they are at least casual fans of the sport.
Though the UFC has fewer female followers, it has made strides across both genders. Among its current fans, 40% of men stated their level of interest increased, while 38% of women said the same.
This could stem from the success of Canadian fighters like world welterweight champion, Georges St Pierre, who is appearing in Gatorade’s national “G” campaign in the U.S.
Other sports gaining popularity include:
• Poker, 34% of fans are more interested than before
• Major Leauge Soccer (MLS), 27% of fans are more interested than before
• FIFA World Cup soccer, 27% of fans are more interested than before
Conversely, sports losing popularity include:
• Professional wrestling, 36% of fans are less interested than before
• Formula One racing, 30% of fans are less interested than before
• Boxing, 23% of fans are less interested than before
The study was released yesterday, three days before the UFC 100 event at the Mandalay Bay Event Center in Las Vegas. Tickets for Saturday’s event are sold out, with prices ranging from $100-$1,000. The event will be shown on pay-per-view.
The poll was conducted between May 20 and 29, and is based on 2,000 online interviews.

Cashcleaner
07-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Roogsy makes a good point.

I shouldn't be getting so friggin excited when I see a TFC logo in a random place, which usually ends up being a Carlsberg promo in a Portuguese neighbourhood.

Thinking about it now, I don't think any sport team in Toronto aside from the Blue Jays really do much marketing along the lines of what we're familiar with international soccer. I suppose one could argue that the Leafs simply don't need to advertise, but the Raptors, Argos, Rock, and TFC could certainly stand to put their names out there a bit more.

The Kingpin
07-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Let's not make it personal, please.

Also, whatever your dealings with the team, if it is a business arrangement or proposal, I don't think airing your grievances or using this against them because they didn't move forward with your proposal is appropriate, at least not through this medium.

You might think your idea is great (otherwise you wouldn't have proposed it!) but others might not think so. There are a lot of different perspectives and just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't make them wrong.

So hold on, you have never used this forum to express a grievance against the team? And are you going to suggest that the relationship that you have with the club is not business? So by the standards set here, this thread should not exist, as it is airing a concern over the marketing prowess of TFC. Well Cesar is the Marketing Director and Paul is his superior, thus he is responsible for what happens in his department.

Your response is based on the fact that this is a transparent exposure of what is really happening vs. empty conjecture, not the fact that I'm airing grievances. In ethical business practice, when you ask someone for a concept based on several conversations, you respond, whether positive or negative. I don't care whether he likes the idea, I create tons of ideas and concepts. It's the ethics of response.

But that is not why I posted this, I posted this because the original thread suggested that TFC is not doing enough, and I agree. And it is a testament on the way that they treat suppliers and partners, which is probably why they are getting a poor response with respect to their overarching plans. A poor client is just that.

But hey... What do I know!! :facepalm:

Rudi
07-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Need to work on your client development skills...
You owe me a new monitor.

The Kingpin
07-09-2009, 02:53 PM

Me write post... Rudi chase post... How original... :rolleyes:

Parkdale
07-09-2009, 02:55 PM
In ethical business practice, when you ask someone for a concept based on several conversations, you respond, whether positive or negative. I don't care whether he likes the idea, I create tons of ideas and concepts. It's the ethics of response.

sure it would have been better for him to follow up with you,
for better or for worse, but maybe...

http://www.thequestforit.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/18/he_just_not_that_into_you_cover.jpg

Rudi
07-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Me write post... Rudi chase post... How original... :rolleyes:
Say what? This is my first (and last) response to you in this thread. You're not that important.

JonO made me laugh. That's all.

It's not my fault you can not see the humourous irony of what he pointed out.

masrawy
07-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Whatever happened to supporter ethics? You know, only being a member of a group to support the club and not further your careers in marketing, sports management, journalism, making MLSE videos, etc?

olegunnar
07-09-2009, 02:57 PM

better the monitor than the keyboard!

Jack
07-09-2009, 02:57 PM
So hold on, you have never used this forum to express a grievance against the team? And are you going to suggest that the relationship that you have with the club is not business? So by the standards set here, this thread should not exist, as it is airing a concern over the marketing prowess of TFC. Well Cesar is the Marketing Director and Paul is his superior, thus he is responsible for what happens in his department.

Your response is based on the fact that this is a transparent exposure of what is really happening vs. empty conjecture, not the fact that I'm airing grievances. In ethical business practice, when you ask someone for a concept based on several conversations, you respond, whether positive or negative. I don't care whether he likes the idea, I create tons of ideas and concepts. It's the ethics of response.

But that is not why I posted this, I posted this because the original thread suggested that TFC is not doing enough, and I agree. And it is a testament on the way that they treat suppliers and partners, which is probably why they are getting a poor response with respect to their overarching plans. A poor client is just that.

I'm saying that if you have a problem with Paul that relates to a business proposal you made to him, call him and don't splash it all over the forums.

Parkdale
07-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Whatever happened to supporter ethics? You know, only being a member of a group to support the club and not further your careers in marketing, sports management, journalism, making MLSE videos, etc?

who makes MLSE videos?

your post there is borderline trolling.

masrawy
07-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Be quiet Ulite, I know all about Bullseye's work for the Raptors.

Shaughno
07-09-2009, 03:00 PM

Different circumstances. Calling out the team in general is one thing. Calling out an employee of MLSE over personal grievences is another. Though, it seems to be the only time you post about something.

Just because you sent Paul a plan that you may think is brilliant, doesn't mean he HAS to respond to you. I'm sure you aren't the only person that emails him on a daily basis with comments, concerns, suggestions, etc.

Parkdale
07-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Be quiet Ulite, I know all about Bullseye's work for the Raptors.

that's funny because I don't work for the raptors and neither does the company I work for. (and never has)

Jack
07-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Different circumstances. Calling out the team in general is one thing. Calling out an employee of MLSE over personal grievences is another. Though, it seems to be the only time you post about something.

Just because you sent Paul a plan that you may think is brilliant, doesn't mean he HAS to respond to you. I'm sure you aren't the only person that emails him on a daily basis with comments, concerns, suggestions, etc.
This too.

@ Patrick: I am a paying customer who has voiced his concerns about the direction of the team.

You were soliciting business from them and they rejected your concept, or did not return your calls.

See the difference?

olegunnar
07-09-2009, 03:04 PM
And are you going to suggest that the relationship that you have with the club is not business?

Is this true?

That's a really explosive accusation

Jack
07-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Is this true?

The only business relationship I have with the club is when I pay them my money for tickets. ;)

Parkdale
07-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Is this true?

:picard:

FluSH
07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Is this true?

Here we go... I'm sure you'll start spreading false rumours and instigating shit...

Shaughno
07-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Here we go... I'm sure you'll start spreading false rumours and instigating shit...

He's right though. Pat's comment was fairly accusing towards Jack.

The Kingpin
07-09-2009, 03:16 PM

I will answer this only because it is so far off base. I did not randomly submit something, it was only after over a combined 2+ hours of conversation that I suggested that this may be the way to go. At this point it was asked that I send my thoughts in a sequential format. The spin is fantastic around here, I must say, I'm going to head off and read The Sun now... :)

I will slow this down. Don't care whether he likes the plan - just showing the ethics. In ANY scenario when you accept a concept - you respond accordingly. You say yes or no or revise.... This was the first time in my career when I have received zero response.

If TFC treats any supplier like this - the you now may understand why the marketing has been poor. An insider look is all...

But hey!! At least he got us Real Madrid!! :D

Shaughno
07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I will answer this only because it is so far off base. I did not randomly submit something, it was only after over a combined 2+ hours of conversation that I suggested that this may be the way to go. At this point it was asked that I send my thoughts in a sequential format. The spin is fantastic around here, I must say, I'm going to head off and read The Sun now... :)

I will slow this down. Don't care whether he likes the plan - just showing the ethics. In ANY scenario when you accept a concept - you respond accordingly. You say yes or no or revise.... This was the first time in my career when I have received zero response.

If TFC treats any supplier like this - the you now may understand why the marketing has been poor. An insider look is all...

But hey!! At least he got us Real Madrid!! :D

I'm so glad you decided to respond Pat. No matter the reasoning behind it, you still aired a personal issue with a single employee of MLSE on a message board. Which has always been a big no-no on this board.

Now that said, I have no idea when you sent this article. Maybe Paul has been bouncing it around with his coworkers over the past few weeks and wanted to get more input before responding. Or maybe he's just a dick and doesn't care to. Either way, you airing your personal grievences on a message board shows how much you value your business ethics as well.

Enjoy the garbage in The Sun!

Cheers,
J

The Kingpin
07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
He's right though. Pat's comment was fairly accusing towards Jack.

Pardon? Business does not always include money. Offering Dichio to help raise awareness for a worthy cause is a business transaction, no matter how altruistic. Dichio is a club asset. Business has many structures and formats, this was not a shot against Jack - it is the reality of being President of a large supporters group. Both entities generate revenue and they work together - thus it is a business arrangement.

Parkdale
07-09-2009, 03:20 PM
This was the first time in my career when I have received zero response.

again....

http://www.thequestforit.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/18/he_just_not_that_into_you_cover.jpg

hahaha... sorry, it's poor taste, because you're being serious, but it's funny nonetheless.

:canada:

and like I said in my original response, yes, there should have been a reply, but sometimes no reply is a reply in it's own way.

H Bomb
I just assumed it was Pat and his natural inclination to consider life a business deal in general....

English Rachel
Omg I think you're all menstruating in here or at least hormonal from ovulation.

lol

Back to RCT I go...

H Bomb
07-09-2009, 03:21 PM
i think it might be time for a new ignore list patron...wait i mean matron....I'm outta here!

The Kingpin
07-09-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm so glad you decided to respond Pat. No matter the reasoning behind it, you still aired a personal issue with a single employee of MLSE on a message board. Which has always been a big no-no on this board.

Now that said, I have no idea when you sent this article. Maybe Paul has been bouncing it around with his coworkers over the past few weeks and wanted to get more input before responding. Or maybe he's just a dick and doesn't care to. Either way, you airing your personal grievences on a message board shows how much you value your business ethics as well.

Enjoy the garbage in The Sun!

Cheers,
J

Dec 12th 2007 - I'm done with TFC FO. They have shown their true wares, and as a supporter I thin everyone should know how they treat supporters and partners. We are only at the tip of the iceberg and I know so many know this - it just hurts. I'll accept the lashings, because I know the truth hurts.

Shaughno
07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Pardon? Business does not always include money. Offering Dichio to help raise awareness for a worthy cause is a business transaction, no matter how altruistic. Dichio is a club asset. Business has many structures and formats, this was not a shot against Jack - it is the reality of being President of a large supporters group. Both entities generate revenue and they work together - thus it is a business arrangement.

So sorry I offended you Pat, but your post certainly seemed to call out Jack and I wasn't the only one who noticed.

What happened to The Sun? Bored of it already?

Jack
07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Alright, I can already see the direction this is heading, which is a back and forth between a few people who we already know don't see eye to eye on much of anything :)

Let's not have another thread deteriorate into that and get locked.

MG42
07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
http://knowfree.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/158062253401l.jpg

Shaughno
07-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Dec 12th 2007 - I'm done with TFC FO. They have shown their true wares, and as a supporter I thin everyone should know how they treat supporters and partners. We are only at the tip of the iceberg and I know so many know this - it just hurts. I'll accept the lashings, because I know the truth hurts.

Look, in no way shape or form am I saying I'm 100% happy with the way things are being handled within MLSE. That does not give me the right to post personal grievences between myself and an employee of that company. I'm not sure what part of that you aren't getting. I haven't attacked anything else you've said so far, aside from the comment about Jack.

Troll
07-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Is it festivus already?!

http://www.whatisfestivus.com/festivus.jpg

RedMAN127
07-09-2009, 04:43 PM

So, footie fans who work in related industries should forgoe supporting the team or earning a living? .... this might make for some pretty lame productions, events, advertising etc.,

Is selling SG kit, booking group rates, etc., any different from an ethical perspective?

Roogsy
07-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Holy crap...I know I have been busy and not been on the boards much, but when did we all forget to learn how to read???

I specifically asked that nobody attack Paul personally. First and foremost because while he may head up the business aspect of TFC, he isn't solely responsible for TFC's promotion at MLSE. And secondly, because as a poster on this board, we have made it clear that anyone who participates here should not be personally attacked.

Holy crap people. I was hoping my thread would've had the potential to spark real ideas about how to properly market this team and it turned into a personal grudge thread about how Paul hurt somebody's feelings by not replying to an idea.

Can we get back to the original point please? With or without including Paul's name into it? It's not necessary to discuss the fundamental point of this thread which is how this team and it's players should be properly marketed.

ThunderTundra
07-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Theres a few things that could be done to be neat and unique in north american sports advertising and marketing.

One of them might (understandably) raise the ire of many people is to get a hot model or actress to wear a TFC kit and do a pose like below! If I wasn't into soccer, this might make me watch at least a game and try to get to one
http://www.champions365.com/images/img/user/960.jpg

This is sort of like the Kahn ad, but way cooler! It would cost alot of money, but if you put something like this on a building along a major highway or transit route in the city with a giant TFC logo on it, it would get some attention

http://www.gallagher-sports.com/images/impact_y4g3.jpg

And finally, what we could do is some geurilla marketing! Get permission from the club and city to run around town and do neat things like the nike ad below. It makes people look and makes them remember the website or team and it also could give a false sense of whatever it is being "cool" or en vouge and get people liking it in a panic to not be left out.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cUm848o5j9M/RsyT5DvEGoI/AAAAAAAAAN0/X9qHVr87DPE/s400/nikefotball.jpg

ThunderTundra
07-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Two more things!
Here is a cheaper way of doing that big soccer ball thing. I've seen car ads around TO on apartments like this, it could work
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-06/47358066.jpg

Also, just having the team give out free shit around the city. Give out TFC T-shirts with the logo on the front and the website or marquee game (with date and channel) on the back. Theres enough people who wear those beer shirts around town that this would work. They would be promoting the team without realizing it

Kevvv
07-09-2009, 06:19 PM
And if it was a deck of cards in front of her best bits, would it make you watch bridge?

Davenport
07-09-2009, 07:08 PM
And if it was a deck of cards in front of her best bits, would it make you watch bridge?
No, I'd ask her to shuffle.

ThunderTundra
07-09-2009, 07:21 PM

If it was televised I might check it out to see what the deal is.
But Poker has done things like that with women to attract people to watch tournaments or play online

RedMAN127
07-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Cross promotion with the 2010 World Cup? ... say TFC themed bars in all the big support area's, or something, a lot of people get into the World Cup that may not have bought into TFC yet.

ensco
07-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I think the premise of this thread is quite mistaken. TFC are a marketing home run, as measured by sellouts, merchandise sales, corporate tie-ins.

The thing about marketing is, because impact can be difficult to measure, and it's mostly discretionary, someone always has a better idea of how you should be doing things.

I do like the idea of proposing wacky ideas like the Kahn thing over the highway - we could easily find something they haven't thought of.

I personally think they could do more at Leaf, and especially Raptor, games to promote the team.

TFC07
07-09-2009, 10:14 PM
The best way of catching causal fans (especially in Toronto) attention: built a winning and exciting team that has potential to win cups. Another option is to sign a big name player.

I don't think having posters of our current players around the city is going to get casual sports fans go to games and/or watch TFC games on TV.

Whoop
07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
^^

Best form of sports marketing is winning. The more TFC wins the more they will get on the news, the more they get on the news, the more people will know about them.

The Jays can market until they are blue in the face, it's still not going to get 50,000+ people to the SkyDome like they did back in their heyday of the early 90s, when surprise, surprise THEY WERE WINNING.

The examples people have listed here as "marketing" are initiatives of adidas and Nike, massive corporations who essentially are the best marketers in the world, especially Nike.

The big issue I think Roogsy was trying to illustrate and it goes back to something that's been discussed ad nauseam on the boards is how does TFC get more media exposure? The papers in Toronto try. I know the Sun is serious trouble as their sports department has really been hit hard. The Star right now is in the best position to report on the team on a regular basis. As for getting more exposure on TV, the TSNs, the Sportsnets won't lead the day with TFC news... unless TFC wins. Even then, it's still lower on the totem pole than hockey. Much like the complaints hockey fans in the US have when US networks don't report on hockey.

The break in the schedule right now doesn't help.

As for the banners of players, billboards, etc. it's fluff, to an extent. I mean the number of TFC jerseys I see in the city is a better marketing tool than a "cool" billboard.

Roogsy
07-09-2009, 11:15 PM
This isn't about getting 20k at the games though Whoopee...they can't possibly fill the stadium more.

Despite their losing, Jay games still generate much more viewership than most sports in this city except for the Leafs...and the Jays have twice as many games!

Despite the scarcity of soccer games...we still struggle to break 100k...some games don't even come close. All the great marketing that filled the stadium is not translating into viewership.

And none of that marketing is helping generate household names of any of the players save for Dichio...who is a product of the fans word of mouth, not from anything the team has done.

Whoop
07-09-2009, 11:55 PM
We have to look at it without the red-coloured TFC glasses. The main point still remains. The only way you generate news in sports in most markets, if you're not THE team in the market, is either to win or to be a laughing stock.

TV versus team marketing are related but not related. I mean how much money would the team have to spend to see an increase of viewership of 50,000? Would it be worth it? Wouldn't that money be better on spending on players for example?

The Jays have a very loyal viewership that's been generated over the last 30 years, with a much larger fan base nationally.

The numbers quoted are usually national numbers, not city related numbers. TFC is still a regional team.

As for household names, in Toronto there really aren't many household names period. Usually the only guys who get recognition are the star players/captain of the teams (Chris Bosh, Roy Halladay, Mats Sundin) or a fan favourite such as Tie Domi. I would argue that if you asked five Toronto citizens who aren't sports fans they couldn't name more than one player from each of the Leafs, Jays or Raptors.

As big as the Leafs are they don't have many household names.

But getting back to the viewership issue, again, it comes down to a number of factors a) the quality of play in MLS, b) lack of star power in MLS, c) TFC as a middle of a pack team.

I mean as someone mentioned in regards to the picture of the girl holding a ball, if there was a deck of cards there would you watch bridge? I mean if Toronto got a WNBA team and they market the hell out of it, are you going to go?

People blame the strike of '94 for the demise of the Jays. No, the demise of the Jays was when Interbrew took control of the team and let the team slip. The team stopped winning, people for the most part stopped caring.

We might love MLS and TFC, but it's a "fringe" sport with what appears to be potential. The best TFC can hope for is to be the #2 team in Toronto, but than likely the #3 team, behind the Leafs and Raptors.

It will be interesting to follow the Jays' exploits vs TFC's in the next coming years. If the Jays don't win in the next 5-10 years, I can see attendance shrinking even further and ultimately leaving the city or becoming the Pittsburgh Pirates of the AL. Despite all the marketing attempts by the team and the coverage on Sportsnet, owned by the company that owns the Jays.

Also, I think viewership will increase when Vancouver joins MLS and if Montreal were to join as well. Then there would be a stronger "national" presence. And Canada doing better internationally would help too.

But again... my long winded point is the best form of marketing is winning.

Winning generates the buzz. Feel good stories, the thing people want to associate with, a winner.

Again... winning is the best form of marketing.*

*This does not apply to the Leafs who are probably the only franchise in NA who have been able to get away with they do and still get all the $$$, attention. But that has more to do with the sport itself.

Roogsy
07-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Of course winning is the best form of marketing...but it's not the only form. And when you're not winning, all the more reason that you have to put effort into other forms of marketing.

Winning solves a multitude of problems. But it doesn't and shouldn't do the job of the front office.

The ideal situation is a) a winning team coupled with b) a standout marketing team.

Right now we have an average team and an average marketing effort. What do you get with that? Mediocrity. I certainly don't want that for this team.

So let's move on past the "winning" argument. Because at the end of the day, the front office have nothing to do with what happens on the pitch (except for Mo of course who has a direct bearing on the results).

The question here is whether the administration of this team is doing enough on the promotional side.

And as far as I have seen here...nobody can really point to anything really innovative or impactful that they have done. And even worse...when it comes to the players. Does anyone here really think they are promoting the players well enough?

Whoop
07-10-2009, 12:30 AM
On that point I probably agree.

They can probably do more. But they're waiting for the season ticket renenwal period to ramp up their marketing efforts. :D

Question: Which player would you market? The only player that would resonate with the public would probably be DeRosario. He's relatively young and a good player. Jim Brennan would be another.

Ideally a young, prolific striker would ideal.

The Kingpin
07-10-2009, 12:51 AM
Holy crap...I know I have been busy and not been on the boards much, but when did we all forget to learn how to read???

I specifically asked that nobody attack Paul personally. First and foremost because while he may head up the business aspect of TFC, he isn't solely responsible for TFC's promotion at MLSE. And secondly, because as a poster on this board, we have made it clear that anyone who participates here should not be personally attacked.

Holy crap people. I was hoping my thread would've had the potential to spark real ideas about how to properly market this team and it turned into a personal grudge thread about how Paul hurt somebody's feelings by not replying to an idea.

Can we get back to the original point please? With or without including Paul's name into it? It's not necessary to discuss the fundamental point of this thread which is how this team and it's players should be properly marketed.

Now Roogsy, I think you need to read vs. align your self with the resulting misguided rhetoric.

I - In any way shape or form - Am not bothered by the response - I was just showing the level of mediocrity and business practice that leads to aforementioned mediocrity - Done.

Now, I presented an actual plan vs. extremely expensive billboards that will do little to further TFC in the general conscious. That has been glazed over, thought a did have a healthy marketing discussion with a few here. Ultimately what is needed here is a fully integrated plan that will communicate to the consumer in multiple channels. But who do you want to be the consumer?

Who/What is your demographic?
What is the message/theme?
What mediums does the general demographic interact with?
Do you consider 2D vs. 3D advertising/communications?
What is the budget?
What does the team mean to people?

You can have franchises do well in all aspects even though they are not winning. See: Newcastle United, The Chicago Cubs, The Leafs, Minnesota Wild, etc. It takes a passionate ownership that really and truly wants to delve into the community, not consistently pander to partners - but to continue to bring value to partners. It also comes down to how you communicate with the athletes, buy in has to come from everywhere. You need buy in from Anselmi to Catering. This they do not have, the overarching communications plan is not resonating.

What does "All for One" really stand for? (Not being trite - what does it really mean to people...? Like "The Passion That Unites Us All"
Do all the staff at TFC feel like they are "All For One"? Do the fans outside the supporters? How are they communicating the message vs. the supporters groups?

I think is some of these questions and more are answered, then we'd come much closer to a plan. I don't have all the answers by a long shot, but I do have a lot of questions, and this is where it starts.

kodiakTFC
07-10-2009, 01:24 AM
This is a quick addition to Whoopee's response. Your point on viewership and the fanbase increasing when Montreal and Vancouver are completely correct. Once this league has a wider base in the country we will see MUCH bigger of a following, I am guessing that ratings in Canada by 2015 will be in the 100,000 per match region (currently we see these numbers on CBC but I'm talking every match). The Seattle + Portland rivalry for Vancouver will be great for fans all ready into the team/league but the rivalry with Montreal + Toronto will be more interested to the casuals.

I honestly can't wait until 2011!

Parkdale
07-10-2009, 08:47 AM
here's one though....

MLSE bought Gol TV and now they run way more content than ever before.
Every time I see that channel they are running something TFC related.

imagine that.... there was a soccer specific television station and TFC (by proxy) bought it!

for people who say that TFC isn't doing a good job of marketing.....

what could possibly be a better move than buying a well known soccer channel and turning it TFC red?
They don't need to cater to non-fans.. but I can't think of a better way to get people who are already
into the sport interested in the local team. I fail to see ANY of the other ideas presented here
having any impact anywhere close to the GOLTV angle.

TFC Tifoso
07-10-2009, 09:16 AM
but you have to pay for GolTV (3 bucks, not a lot I know, but it is to some), so unless you're a diehard, chances are you're not gonna buy it.....therefore, they're not expanding their market....just appealing more to the one that already exists.

Kevvv
07-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Ahh, where to start...

Cross promotion with the 2010 World Cup? ... say TFC themed bars in all the big support area's, or something, a lot of people get into the World Cup that may not have bought into TFC yet.

I wasn't aware of MLS or TFC until they ran ads during the 2006 WC - remember, the red logo on that yellow background? (That said, I'm sure the CBC will run ads for the games they show.)

I think the premise of this thread is quite mistaken. TFC are a marketing home run, as measured by sellouts, merchandise sales, corporate tie-ins.

But not TV, by a long shot:

This isn't about getting 20k at the games though Whoopee...they can't possibly fill the stadium more.

Despite their losing, Jay games still generate much more viewership than most sports in this city except for the Leafs...and the Jays have twice as many games!

Despite the scarcity of soccer games...we still struggle to break 100k...some games don't even come close. All the great marketing that filled the stadium is not translating into viewership.

You can have franchises do well in all aspects even though they are not winning. See: Newcastle United, The Chicago Cubs, The Leafs, Minnesota Wild, etc. It takes a passionate ownership that really and truly wants to delve into the community, not consistently pander to partners - but to continue to bring value to partners. It also comes down to how you communicate with the athletes, buy in has to come from everywhere. You need buy in from Anselmi to Catering. This they do not have, the overarching communications plan is not resonating.

I'm not convinced that winning is going to be a magic bullet for this team either, but at least 3 of the examples you mention (NUFC, Leafs, Cubs, Wild?) have a huge advantage over TFC - a large fan base for the sport and a deep connection to the team. The challenge for TFC is like the challenge for any North American hockey team that's not within a hundred miles of the Canadian border.

That makes it so much more important to identify the target market:

'true' soccer fans who follow EPL, Serie A, La Liga, or WC, etc but not MLS
families where the kids play soccer ('soccer moms/dads')
young sports fans, predominantly male, who follow sports other than soccer?
South/Central American soccer fans who would watch soccer in a different market
If number one, then owning the chief content provider for one of the top flight leagues is a good start:

MLSE bought Gol TV and now they run way more content than ever before.
Every time I see that channel they are running something TFC related.

imagine that.... there was a soccer specific television station and TFC (by proxy) bought it!

for people who say that TFC isn't doing a good job of marketing.....

what could possibly be a better move than buying a well known soccer channel and turning it TFC red?
They don't need to cater to non-fans.. but I can't think of a better way to get people who are already
into the sport interested in the local team. I fail to see ANY of the other ideas presented here
having any impact anywhere close to the GOLTV angle.

One other thing they can try is advertising on Setanta Canada (assuming they carry on in the fall). I'm baffled that the ads that actually do appear on Setanta are such utter crap, and sometimes woefullly out-of-date - one of their ads talked about some travelling soccer camp that had come and gone over a month prior. Surely someone can put up enough money to bump one of the 'Challenger' ads?

Parkdale
07-10-2009, 09:26 AM
but you have to pay for GolTV (3 bucks, not a lot I know, but it is to some), so unless you're a diehard, chances are you're not gonna buy it.....therefore, they're not expanding their market....just appealing more to the one that already exists.

well I honestly think that there's no way to 'convert' people to the game unless they see it live, so they might as well try to get the people who are already watching the sport, and try to convert them to TFC.

Cashcleaner
07-10-2009, 09:33 AM

That's what I'm thinking as well. Having TFC on GolTV is great if you watch enough soccer to justify having the channel in the first place, but we really stand to gain a larger audience through broadcasting on CBC, Sportsnet, or The Score.

druid
07-10-2009, 09:37 AM
We don't have any troubles selling tickets like some other MLS teams. Focus on the squad and grass and worry about the marketing later. If we make the playoffs or are ready for stadium expansion then maybe its worth while focusing on an increased marketing budget from a business perspective.

Personally, I have a suspicion that the cost of acquiring customers through marketing isn't worth it when you factor in their retention/churn. Better to grow slow via word of mouth among the local football fans who are likely to become life time seasons ticket holders than market for bandwagon fans.

TFC Tifoso
07-10-2009, 09:44 AM
well I honestly think that there's no way to 'convert' people to the game unless they see it live, so they might as well try to get the people who are already watching the sport, and try to convert them to TFC.

this much I agree with, and that's where they should get them at.....if people can take something away from the game that sticks with them once they get home, then its the right path.

problem with advertising on GolTV and Setanta and channels like this is that people who follow soccer (and watch these channels) are already well aware that TFC is a club, and are either already following them or turn their noses up to them because its MLS.

Parkdale
07-10-2009, 10:09 AM
problem with advertising on GolTV and Setanta and channels like this is that people who follow soccer (and watch these channels) are already well aware that TFC is a club, and are either already following them or turn their noses up to them because its MLS.

let's say that you can rank people's interest in TFC like this...

0-------------------5-----------------------10
hates soccer----likes soccer--------likes TFC

it's a lot less work to move someone from a 5 to a 10 than from a zero to a ten.

You're right that most everyone knows about TFC if they are watching GOL.
Maybe they aren't into the team yet, but something little can win them over.
An interview with a player, a highlight reel, winning the Voyagers Cup....
These are all little things that might make a new fan out of a 'non TFC, soccer fan',
but you have to keep the brand in their face until something catches their interest.

Mark in Ottawa
07-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Having GolTV available for $2. a month and having it show TFC and other Canadian football leagues/teams seems like a good way to generate footy interest to me.

TFC Tifoso
07-10-2009, 11:13 AM
let's say that you can rank people's interest in TFC like this...

0-------------------5-----------------------10
hates soccer----likes soccer--------likes TFC

it's a lot less work to move someone from a 5 to a 10 than from a zero to a ten.

You're right that most everyone knows about TFC if they are watching GOL.
Maybe they aren't into the team yet, but something little can win them over.
An interview with a player, a highlight reel, winning the Voyagers Cup....
These are all little things that might make a new fan out of a 'non TFC, soccer fan',
but you have to keep the brand in their face until something catches their interest.

It could be true, but let's face it....a lot of the interviews and such is just fluff.....aimed at the "non soccer fan" but does nothing to actually attract them to the sport other than having a player on the team speaking.

I'm just from the line of thinking that by now everybody in the city knows of TFC and the only thing that will get the non followers into followers is a competent FO and a winning team on the field....I think the attraction by marketing tool has pretty much run its course now, nearly 3 years in.

Pookie
07-10-2009, 11:54 AM

I agree.

I think TFC has been a marketing "home run" as suggested by ensco above when it comes to merchandising, ticket sales, concessions, accessibility of the players (ie. pub crawls), etc.

It has been a bit of a flop though on the TV front.

Personally, I don't think they need to splash buildings with soccer balls to get people to watch. I think they need to turn up the screws on those that carry their brand.

For games on Sportsnet, why is TFC not a part of that week's Sportsnet Connected as a build up to the game? On game days, why are they not one of the 3 top stories?

Sportsnet seems to do this with UFA or MMA events by making a story out of an upcoming fight they are going to televise. Essentially, that becomes a commercial. It rarely happens for TFC games.

Same with the Fan590. They are getting better with their coverage but still have a ton of room to improve.

That's where I'd put my energy.

Parkdale
07-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Sportsnet seems to do this with UFA or MMA events by making a story out of an upcoming fight they are going to televise. Essentially, that becomes a commercial. It rarely happens for TFC games.

with something like UFC, the build up to the fight is almost as important as the fight itself (at least when it comes to getting the audience interested)

jabbronies
07-10-2009, 11:59 AM
At this point I don't think it's so much as promoting the team to non-fans. but it's about promoting the hype of TFC.

I think people are saying - and these are maybe just my own thoughts as well - We should see more TFC around the city being promoted to help the profile of the team. TFC are a big deal to the fans and they should be treated that way. They should be on billboards, commercials street signs etc. We're in the midst of the season with plenty of big games coming up, including a run for the playoffs.

TFC should be on everyone's minds. If they can't be at the stadium, they should be watching on TV. The more hype surrounding the team, the more people will watch and get into it.

That's just my 2 cents.

maninb
07-10-2009, 12:10 PM
"We might love MLS and TFC, but it's a "fringe" sport with what appears to be potential. The best TFC can hope for is to be the #2 team in Toronto, but than likely the #3 team, behind the Leafs and Raptors."

IMO TFC will pass the Raptors in popularity within 5 years...In fact the Raptors could end up folding if they lose Bosh and keep missing the playoffs...

TFC Tifoso
07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
maybe they need to make a "reality" TV show....

Danny Dichio's My New BFF....

TFC07
07-10-2009, 12:41 PM
"We might love MLS and TFC, but it's a "fringe" sport with what appears to be potential. The best TFC can hope for is to be the #2 team in Toronto, but than likely the #3 team, behind the Leafs and Raptors."

IMO TFC will pass the Raptors in popularity within 5 years...In fact the Raptors could end up folding if they lose Bosh and keep missing the playoffs...

LMAO! You're an idiot! Toronto Raptors one of most financial stable teams in NBA. They're currently worth $400 million US (Leafs are only worth $430-$450 million US despite their large fanbase and corporate support). Before last season, the Raptors made it to playoffs 2 years straight. Bosh leaving wouldn't kill Raptors. If Raptors can survive after losing Carter what makes you think they can't survive if Bosh decides to leave?

If any team in Toronto is folding, it is most likely either the Jays or Argos.

Parkdale
07-10-2009, 12:46 PM

the raps wont fold.

MLSE makes money off them by forcing Leafs fans to buy tickets.
If you think the TFC-Marlies combo was bad for fans, know that it can be much worse.

TFC07
07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
the raps wont fold.

MLSE makes money off them by forcing Leafs fans to buy tickets.
If you think the TFC-Marlies combo was bad for fans, know that it can be much worse.

I heard people say this before, but these people never backed up their claim.

Nomad
07-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Why do we care how they market? We do their job for them as it is with the atmosphere, why make them even more lazier? This whole thread comes off as guerrilla marketing...

I see TFC using this board as a test for what works and what doesn't. I'm reminded of BMO Field coming on here last year saying he was tired of streamers and who was with him. He got the appropriate responses he was looking for and then low and behold, streamers were now banned.

Maple Leaf Red
07-10-2009, 01:42 PM
It was true that they did this during the Raptors' early years in the ACC but I don't think that they do it anymore.

Maple Leaf Red
07-10-2009, 01:44 PM
LMAO! You're an idiot! Toronto Raptors one of most financial stable teams in NBA. They're currently worth $400 million US (Leafs are only worth $430-$450 million US despite their large fanbase and corporate support). Before last season, the Raptors made it to playoffs 2 years straight. Bosh leaving wouldn't kill Raptors. If Raptors can survive after losing Carter what makes you think they can't survive if Bosh decides to leave?

I wouldn't take those Forbes' valuations too seriously. The Habs just sold for over $660M and that was for 80% of the team so the Leafs are likely worth over $800M at a minimum and likely over $1Bn when you add in the ACC.

The Raptors benefit from their association with the Leafs.

TFC07
07-10-2009, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't take those Forbes' valuations too seriously. The Habs just sold for over $660M and that was for 80% of the team so the Leafs are likely worth over $800M at a minimum and likely over $1Bn when you add in the ACC.

The Raptors benefit from their association with the Leafs.

$800 million-$1 billion USD??? No way they're worth that much!

BTW, $660 million included Bell Centre, right?

Maple Leaf Red
07-10-2009, 01:56 PM
$800 million-$1 billion USD??? No way they're worth that much!

No, I meant Canadian. The Habs just sold for $633M Canadian for an 80.1% share plus the Bell Centre (http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/278100.html). That equals $791M CDN for 100% of the team and the Bell Centre. That would be the absolute lowest value that one would put on the Maple Leafs. So that gives you a base of $680M USD according to the exchange rate (http://www.xe.com/ucc/). Factor in the Leafs' corporate support base, the cash flows and getting up to $800M USD is not out of the question by any stretch of imagination.

And this includes the arena in both equations. The ACC is one of the most booked and profitable buildings in North America.

Ageroo
07-10-2009, 01:58 PM
It was true that they did this during the Raptors' early years in the ACC but I don't think that they do it anymore.

Yeah I am not sure how it works with the regular season ticket holders...but I am pretty sure with the luxury boxes...that once you paid your licence fee(up front), every year you need to buy the tickets for all the leafs and raptors games. Maybe even all the events...whether you go to them or not.

Parkdale
07-10-2009, 01:58 PM

it's the case. The entire lower bowl at a raps game is owned by people who also own Leafs tickets. They come in a bundled package.

mmmikey
07-10-2009, 01:59 PM
It could be true, but let's face it....a lot of the interviews and such is just fluff.....aimed at the "non soccer fan" but does nothing to actually attract them to the sport other than having a player on the team speaking.

I'm just from the line of thinking that by now everybody in the city knows of TFC and the only thing that will get the non followers into followers is a competent FO and a winning team on the field....I think the attraction by marketing tool has pretty much run its course now, nearly 3 years in.

i like the point your making here. if a fan thinks MLS is a joke, and u get a pretty girl interviewing players asking random non soccer questions, it will underline what a joke it is in that persons mind.

i would like to see a more technical approach to coverage.. show some breakdowns of tfc strategy.. why they got owned by RSL.. they are playing SJ, do some analysis of SJ.. suggest how tfc can break them down.. underline players who need to make an impact in that game, etc, etc

the last guy who did this with any quality had the most boring voice in the world, so that didnt help (paul james was it?)

EDIT: i would like to see BOTH sides of the coverage... but there is a bit of the hardcore game action that they get too far away from.

Maple Leaf Red
07-10-2009, 02:00 PM
it's the case. The entire lower bowl at a raps game is owned by people who also own Leafs tickets. They come in a bundled package.

Yeah, I think it has to do with people that own seat licenses. Either way, it's a fact and super Raptors fans can pretend it's not true but they exist at the pleasure of MLSE. If they were separate they'd be in a lot more precarious position.

mmmikey
07-10-2009, 02:07 PM
relying entirely on the results on the field is a risky business. some teams go decades and decades before they finally win. no matter how many great seasons they have in between..

the TV aspect is absolutely essential though. i watched sportsnet right after TFC won the championship. i wanted to see how far down they buried it. it was WAY back in coverage, and behind many non-essential, information overload segments. u would think a channel that carries those games would feel it was in their best interest to publicize what they carry a little more. if they increase viewership, they can jack up the rates on advertising revenue.

it's like buying a nice sports car but giving your self 5 dollars in gas per week. WTF DID U GET THE CAR FOR THEN?!

rocker
07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
facilitating connection/friendships between fans is key (the internet does this already).
in tough times people will stick by a team if it's part of their social life with buddies.
if they are targeted simply as consumers of tickets, then bad teams will mean no purchases cuz the product doesn't meet the price.

TFC Tifoso
07-10-2009, 02:25 PM
i like the point your making here. if a fan thinks MLS is a joke, and u get a pretty girl interviewing players asking random non soccer questions, it will underline what a joke it is in that persons mind.

i would like to see a more technical approach to coverage.. show some breakdowns of tfc strategy.. why they got owned by RSL.. they are playing SJ, do some analysis of SJ.. suggest how tfc can break them down.. underline players who need to make an impact in that game, etc, etc

the last guy who did this with any quality had the most boring voice in the world, so that didnt help (paul james was it?)

EDIT: i would like to see BOTH sides of the coverage... but there is a bit of the hardcore game action that they get too far away from.

yep, its time to market the SPORT.....to help the people who like the experience, but are not too sharp on the finer points of the sport.

like I said before, I just feel that the bells and whistles stage of attraction is gone, and the they should have enough of a fan base to go on to stage two. I mean, after all, MLSE love to talk of a wait list of 15,000 +, unless, of course, platinum and gold list people are included in those figures as well (hmmmm?)......then they still have much attraction marketing to do still....

DichioTFC
07-13-2009, 05:42 PM
one quick thought and INEXPENSIVE (so listen up ML$E)

how about road signs, leading up to BMO field with a TFC logo on it? on the gardiner, on the bridges, on the Jameson exit and the smaller roads surrounding the stadium?

Pros:
- Free(!) promotion (funded by Province on Ontario)
- Create local awareness
- Year-round marketing
- Establishes TFC as a landmark, as opposed to a fringe club (i.e. Marlies)
- Instantly makes the TFC brand more fan-friendly

I really dont see any cons to this and I'm sure the Provincial government would be happy to do this.

DichioTFC
07-13-2009, 05:50 PM

Its true. The Raptors' financial stability is quite surprising since players openly admit they dont want to play for the team (credit MLSE for never moving teams away from Toronto).

I feared Jays might be on the ropes financially, but now that Rogers owns them, they're set for the next 25 years at least.

I think the Leafs' value may be quite higher considering how valuable the team is (most overpriced team in North American sports according to ESPN), $1 billion may be stretching it but not by much.

Looking at TFC, the seats are all sold out, the waiting list is 14,000 deep, jerseys and scarves are hot items, beer is constantly flowing (except for the Houston game, but I digress), the players are becoming more involved in the community and nothing needs to be said about the passionate fan base. TFC has nothing to worry about. The Leafs have been around for almost 100 years, TFC has been around for three. Slow growth is the key to success and MLSE, credit where due, has laid a solid foundation for soccer in Toronto.

Marketing may be questionable, but the product will definitely thrive.

TFC Tifoso
07-13-2009, 05:52 PM
one quick thought and INEXPENSIVE (so listen up ML$E)

how about road signs, leading up to BMO field with a TFC logo on it? on the gardiner, on the bridges, on the Jameson exit and the smaller roads surrounding the stadium?

^ its already been done....and thanks for raping my avatar :thumbsup:

TFC07
07-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Its true. The Raptors' financial stability is quite surprising since players openly admit they dont want to play for the team (credit MLSE for never moving teams away from Toronto).

I feared Jays might be on the ropes financially, but now that Rogers owns them, they're set for the next 25 years at least.

I think the Leafs' value may be quite higher considering how valuable the team is (most overpriced team in North American sports according to ESPN), $1 billion may be stretching it but not by much.

Looking at TFC, the seats are all sold out, the waiting list is 14,000 deep, jerseys and scarves are hot items, beer is constantly flowing (except for the Houston game, but I digress), the players are becoming more involved in the community and nothing needs to be said about the passionate fan base. TFC has nothing to worry about. The Leafs have been around for almost 100 years, TFC has been around for three. Slow growth is the key to success and MLSE, credit where due, has laid a solid foundation for soccer in Toronto.

Marketing may be questionable, but the product will definitely thrive.

That only applies to American players. International players actually want to play for Raptors (recent example, Hedo).

As for the Blue Jays, there was a rumour that Rogers are looking to sell the team.

EDIT:

I am going to catch a lot of heat for saying this, but I am going to say it anyway:

To be honest, soccer is probably most popular sport in GTA (based on number of people playing the game). Not only that but GTA soccer fanbase is very diverse which is really unique.

But right now, TFC are getting a lot of support from soccer fans who are into English soccer...while failing to tap in to other soccer communities. The way this team is run and built/play just makes it harder to attract more soccer fans in GTA.

TFC needs to take page from Raptors marketing book and try to build more multicultural team actually reflects the city's culture and demographic (for an example, just look at our academy teams see how diverse those teams are). If TFC not going to win anything, at least build this team that people in city can relate to.

flatpicker
07-13-2009, 10:08 PM
^ perhaps it will become a club rule that they employ an Italian, a Portuguese, a Greek, Chinese, Briton, Spanish... all in there starting lineup.

The nice thing about that... it's likely they wouldn't have to leave for national team duty!

Joking aside... having a multicultural team is great... TFC is pretty diverse already.
The difference is, those foreign born players in the Raptors lineup are amoung the best players in the world.
TFC wouldn't have the same kind of promotional edge.

__wowza
07-14-2009, 09:30 AM
we're a hockey city. we always will be a hockey city.
that's the worst part about it as our hockey players probably give the least back to the community. raports/jays/argos(especially) go out to highschools, get involved with kids and charities. its a shite state of affairs.

Cas87
07-14-2009, 09:43 AM
that's the worst part about it as our hockey players probably give the least back to the community. raports/jays/argos(especially) go out to highschools, get involved with kids and charities. its a shite state of affairs.

Thats why in some ways its good that the Raps, Jays, Argos, and TFC are focusing on areas that have shown prolonged interest in their respective sports.
(i.e. Raps at Jane and Finch, TFC in the "Little ..." communities, etc.)

The Leafs will always have the city, but TFC in particular are a summer team and will always have the majority of focus at that time.
Plus, I think if TFC make the MLS playoffs and maybe the Group stage of the CCL then they will carry the attention in October because they will be the only team with the opportunity to win anything in the Fall. (AND ... WE ALREADY WON SOMETHING!!!)
:scarf:

Toronto Gunner
07-14-2009, 09:48 AM
If it ain't broke, why so many ideas to 'fix it'?

Year 1 - Rare to spot anybody wearing a TFC shirt/scarf in the harbourfront area (where I live). Most people have no idea what TFC is.

Year 2 - A few shirts here and there, and whenever I'm out in my jersey, I get stopped in the streets and asked if it's a game day. Most bars show away games without having to be asked to change the channel.

Year 3 - The harbourfront area, the city, and even the burbs (the few times I've been out there) are full of people in TFC gear. People drool when they find out I'm a season ticket holder and my family, friends, and coworkers are constantly hassling me to get tickets off of the ticket exchange for them. Bars not only show away games, but advertise them in advance.

Year 4 - It can only get better from here.

TFC's marketing is great, they really have done a wonderful job, and anybody with a background in marketing will tell you that they played a long-term game, starting with the fans and working out in concentric circles until the hype will eventually reach the entire city. It's a classic long-term strategy and I think they're doing an amazing job.

ManUtd4ever
07-14-2009, 10:05 AM

Year 1 - Rare to spot anybody wearing a TFC shirt/scarf in the harbourfront area (where I live). Most people have no idea what TFC is.

Year 2 - A few shirts here and there, and whenever I'm out in my jersey, I get stopped in the streets and asked if it's a game day. Most bars show away games without having to be asked to change the channel.

Year 3 - The harbourfront area, the city, and even the burbs (the few times I've been out there) are full of people in TFC gear. People drool when they find out I'm a season ticket holder and my family, friends, and coworkers are constantly hassling me to get tickets off of the ticket exchange for them. Bars not only show away games, but advertise them in advance.

TFC's marketing is great, they really have done a wonderful job, and anybody with a background in marketing will tell you that they played a long-term game, starting with the fans and working out in concentric circles until the hype will eventually reach the entire city. It's a classic long-term strategy and I think they're doing an amazing job.

I have to agree with this analysis. I started a thread on the old forum a couple of years ago about TFC's second rate status in this city as far a media coverage and promotion were concerned. I am very impressed with the significant increase in exposure on both fronts at the present time and the results are evident in the sporting public in Toronto. Based on TFC's current marketing trajectory and the significant recent purchase of GolTV, I foresee TFC being on par with the Raptors and Jays in the near future...

rocker
07-14-2009, 10:10 AM
i just saw my local BMO branch in Mississauga has a huge TFC image and saying on the main outer wall of the branch that faces a busy intersection. They have that dude bangin the drum and then a saying.

Blazer
07-14-2009, 10:23 AM
You can’t force feed people. TFC and MLS soccer in this city will grow at the same rate the teams success will grow. All of the examples of “cool” things done by teams elsewhere is a result of their teams performance in the league. Houston, D.C., etc. have all recently won MLS championships, which is what single handedly won them over in their respective cities. Not soccer passion or any other perceived bullshit like that.

The time is right now, when all other pro sports in Toronto are abysmal, but you can’t expect 5 million people to simply fall head over heels in love with something the way we have in here when they have no affiliation with the sport/team itself. They need more than just that. Once they become affiliated with an MLS champion in this city (because then they can relate when otherwise they may not even like soccer or know we have a team) will we begin to see the true potential of this team in this city.

People fall in love with champions. Until then, just be patient cause it’s not going to happen by forcing a game - a team, down the throats of millions who have no reason to love TFC. Not yet anyway.

Roogsy
07-14-2009, 11:39 AM

I'd have to disagree. There is no reason why a short-term strategy cannot be implemented with a long-term one. A long term one builds. A short-term one capitalizes and neither are mutually exclusive.

Long term...I'd say they are playing it by the book, which is fine since it has proven successful. But short-term they have no plan to be flexible and capitalize on moves, signings, hype, promotions or water-cooler conversations. That's a mistake.

Blazer
07-14-2009, 12:38 PM

+1.

And winning will only feed the frenzy in this city. Playoffs followed by a championship will put TFC atop the list of Toronto teams to cheer for.

MG42
07-14-2009, 12:50 PM
+1.

And winning will only feed the frenzy in this city. Playoffs followed by a championship will put TFC atop the list of Toronto teams to cheer for.

Here, Here! :scarf:

dupont
07-14-2009, 01:12 PM

Now that you mention it, I have noticed a difference in reactions to when I wear TFC shirts now.
2 years ago people saw the jersey and would say something like "Oh cool I heard the atmosphere is great!"
but lately most people ask me if they won the game that day or say something about how they are playing lately.
So I think awareness of the team must be up at least somewhat.

Maple Leaf Red
07-14-2009, 09:51 PM
That's patently untrue. Leafs players do just as much outreach as the other teams.

Maple Leaf Red
07-14-2009, 09:54 PM
I am going to catch a lot of heat for saying this, but I am going to say it anyway:

To be honest, soccer is probably most popular sport in GTA (based on number of people playing the game). Not only that but GTA soccer fanbase is very diverse which is really unique.

But right now, TFC are getting a lot of support from soccer fans who are into English soccer...while failing to tap in to other soccer communities. The way this team is run and built/play just makes it harder to attract more soccer fans in GTA.

TFC needs to take page from Raptors marketing book and try to build more multicultural team actually reflects the city's culture and demographic (for an example, just look at our academy teams see how diverse those teams are). If TFC not going to win anything, at least build this team that people in city can relate to.

The Raptors aren't being built that way to reflect the city's culture and demographics. It's being built that way because Bryan Colangelo thinks that this is the best way to build a winning team.

TFC has pretty multicultural support already. They should definitely do more outreach but from a purely anecdotal perspective a lot of the Italian/Portuguese/Latin people that I know look down on MLS and are not interested in the team regardless of what the team does.