PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC trades Phelan

Pachuco
06-04-2008, 11:07 AM
I guess the mysterious poster was right. We are obviously looking for a spot for someone :) maybe our DP :)

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/436800

flatpicker
06-04-2008, 11:09 AM
and the pieces start falling into place.

Pearce321
I guess the mysterious poster was right. We are obviously looking for a spot for someone :) maybe our DP :)

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/436800

LETS HOPE! :):)

Steve
Good move. I think everyone knew it was only a matter of time before Phelan left (he's too far down for an international spot) and now we have 2 international spots to use in case we need them. I wonder if we have any money left, or if we need to dump salary for a DP.

arsenal
06-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Looks like maybe clearing some room for incoming Fire player(s)?

Pachuco
06-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Good move. I think everyone knew it was only a matter of time before Phelan left (he's too far down for an international spot) and now we have 2 international spots to use in case we need them. I wonder if we have any money left, or if we need to dump salary for a DP.

Yeah, I personally see this as a good move. He didn't get playing time even when we had red cards, injuries and international callups. What I don't get though is what we traded for. Is it an "extra" senior international spot? and did Smith take one of those spots meaning we basically still only have 1?

Shaughno
06-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I personally see this as a good move. He didn't get playing time even when we had red cards, injuries and international callups. What I don't get though is what we traded for. Is it an "extra" senior international spot? and did Smith take one of those spots meaning we basically still only have 1?

I believe so, we only have one after this...

In a related roster move, New Zealander Jarrod Smith was promoted to the team's senior roster.

arsenal
06-04-2008, 11:21 AM

We got an extra int'l slot. They are not designated anymore as SI and YI. We would have 2 int'l slots (the one we traded for and the 1 that Phelan took up) but our I believe our senior roster is still full (Smith took Phelan's spot).

Razcle
06-04-2008, 11:21 AM
wow....things are brewing....

Pachuco
06-04-2008, 11:23 AM
We got an extra int'l slot. They are not designated anymore as SI and YI. We would have 2 int'l slots (the one we traded for and the 1 that Phelan took up) but our I believe our senior roster is still full (Smith took Phelan's spot).

So if our senior roster is still full then maybe this was a move to make Smith happy (promotion) and Phelan happy (possibly get some playing time with NE). Maybe it's no conspirecy theory to bring over a DP :)

Steve

Actually, I think we have 2 international spots (Smith was always taking up an international spot, he just wasn't taking a senior roster spot) now. What I don't know is how many senior spots we have left, I think we might be full (we have 17 or 18 out of 18, not sure about Edwards' status).

TFC_Toon
WOW - didn't even know you could trade for International spots. Something definitely brewing.......

Steve
06-04-2008, 11:24 AM
So if our senior roster is still full then maybe this was a move to make Smith happy (promotion) and Phelan happy (possibly get some playing time with NE). Maybe it's no conspirecy theory to bring over a DP :)

Though it does allow us to sign internationals to the dev roster now (including possibly the 18 year old from new castle)

Shaughno
06-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Steve, didn't think about that. For sure Smith was already Int'l. Just got bumped up to Senior roster taking what I believe was the last Senior spot. So we still have two Int'l spots left then right?

Shaughno
06-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Though it does allow us to sign internationals to the dev roster now (including possibly the 18 year old from new castle)

Damn, I had almost forgotten about that kid.... hmmm.

Boris
06-04-2008, 11:30 AM
same here....i love these mysteries. It really makes the soap operas look like kids play!

rocker
so Hemming can come back if he wants the Senior Dev spot Smith had ;)

James17930
But if Smith was on the Dev. roster before, did that still mean he was taking up a spot? Or is this new spot for Smith?

ChrisLav
06-04-2008, 11:33 AM
But if Smith was on the Dev. roster before, did that still mean he was taking up a spot? Or is this new spot for Smith?

He already had an international spot, so we acquired an extra one. He fills the senior roster slot vacated by Phelan.

arsenal
This would also clear the way to bring in a Generation Adidas player via trade (ie. CHI has Soumare & Nyarko). If I remember correctly they would require an int'l slot but don't take up a senior roster spot.

Nodoubtguy

he always used an international spot, now he's unsing an international senior spot

section105
06-04-2008, 11:35 AM

^^^ As much I'd like to think this is making room for the DP, I think Pachuco has it bang on here. The team is working well without spending the DP money as it is. Remember, MLSE is still holding the purse strings and Leafs are in massive flux at the moment. Unfortunately this is still a hockey town :< [Yet another reason to HATE the Leafs]

Pachuco
06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
TFC Press Release -

Toronto FC have acquired an international roster slot after trading defender Pat Phelan to the New England Revolution.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080604&content_id=163210&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

SilverSamurai
06-04-2008, 11:52 AM

What kid?:confused:

JonO
06-04-2008, 11:57 AM
so Hemming can come back if he wants the Senior Dev spot Smith had ;)

That's one of the first things I thought, but I am too confused about the rules to figure out if that makes any sense. I still like the kid's potential...

alexintoronto
06-04-2008, 12:08 PM
= bye bye Harmse or Lombardo

Eastend
06-04-2008, 12:13 PM
That's one of the first things I thought, but I am too confused about the rules to figure out if that makes any sense. I still like the kid's potential...

To be honest, I think a lot of people are confused about the player rules in the MLS. I think that's one of the reasons Mo has had success with getting and signing players because he understands the system better then anyone else it seems.

S_D
06-04-2008, 12:14 PM
anyone know how long we get the international slot for?

Shaughno
06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
= bye bye Harmse or Lombardo

Umm... why? Get rid of another Canadian for....? Harmse isn't going anywhere, though I can't say the same for Lombardo especially if he's not gellin' with Carver.

Lucky Strike
06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
anyone know how long we get the international slot for?

Until 2010, apparently.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080604&content_id=163228&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Shaughno
06-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Until 2010, apparently.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080604&content_id=163228&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Makes sense, we lose one of our traded Int'l spots next season anyway.

alexintoronto
06-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Umm... why? Get rid of another Canadian for....? Harmse isn't going anywhere, though I can't say the same for Lombardo especially if he's not gellin' with Carver.

Well my thinking is: They traded Phelan to get an International spot, then moved Smith up to the Senior roster. I think that makes the senior roster full but leaves us with an International spot (I'm not sure). If so - in order to add another Senior international to TFC they would have to get rid of a Canadian Senior player. Sutton and Brennan aren't going anywhere. Harmse and Lombardo don't seem to fit into the picture - so I assume they would go.

Steve
06-04-2008, 12:32 PM

Lombardo is on a dev spot, so he isn't going anywhere. The only reason to get rid of Harmse would be for his senior spot (since we can now fill that spot with an international) but I REALLY doubt this will happen. Harmse is servicable and we can't keep dumping all of our Canadians (the league will not look kindly on us for that, since they gave us the Int spots because we claimed hardship).

Essentially, since I don't see any of our Canadians moving from the senior roster to make room (Sutton? Brennan? Harmse?) these 2 int spots will undoubtably be used to sign int players to our dev roster, which doesn't count against our cap. Next year, since we're losing at least one int spot, we'll get rid of one of them to keep our senior roster able to field essentially all internationals.

As for a DP, this really changes nothing. I think we already have more americans than necessary, so we could easily drop an american for an international. Since we've already generally decided we won't drop a Canadian from our senior roster, and our senior roster is full, signing a DP will mean trading someone anyway, which will open up the required spot (both senior and international). My bet is on Cunningham leaving, though the door is open for either Marshall or Dunivant to take their exit (more likely marshall, but Dunivant has more trade value) if we do end with a DP.

Steve
06-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Well my thinking is: They traded Phelan to get an International spot, then moved Smith up to the Senior roster. I think that makes the senior roster full but leaves us with an International spot (I'm not sure). If so - in order to add another Senior international to TFC they would have to get rid of a Canadian Senior player. Sutton and Brennan aren't going anywhere. Harmse and Lombardo don't seem to fit into the picture - so I assume they would go.

Lombardo was demoted to Dev player, getting rid of him nets us nothing.

rocker
06-04-2008, 12:41 PM
What if Mojo moves a couple Americans (Dunivant + Cunningham) and then moves some of the green card internationals (Guevara, Marshall) onto the designated "American" slots thus freeing up 2 spots (he has 2 foreign-only int spots now) for bringing in foreign players.
Does that make sense? the logic of these roster rules is blowing my mind.

alexintoronto
06-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Lombardo was demoted to Dev player, getting rid of him nets us nothing.

I didn't realize that. So it looks like Harmse is in Harm's way is we want to use the new International spot on a senior player.

Shaughno
06-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I didn't realize that. So it looks like Harmse is in Harm's way is we want to use the new International spot on a senior player.

Essentially, since I don't see any of our Canadians moving from the senior roster to make room (Sutton? Brennan? Harmse?) these 2 int spots will undoubtably be used to sign int players to our dev roster, which doesn't count against our cap

I agree with Steve here, I don't see us just tossing Canadians to the wayside. It will look bad on us for playing the pity cards to get more Int'l spots in the first place.

Steve
06-04-2008, 12:57 PM
What if Mojo moves a couple Americans (Dunivant + Cunningham) and then moves some of the green card internationals (Guevara, Marshall) onto the designated "American" slots thus freeing up 2 spots (he has 2 foreign-only int spots now) for bringing in foreign players.
Does that make sense? the logic of these roster rules is blowing my mind.

Yes, right now since we have more Americans than we need, we can trade an american for an international without affecting our international slots.

Yes and no. Harmse is not great, but he isn't paid that much either, and he's in a position we can actually use him. I think we have americans that are paid more, and potentially used less, that we will get rid of first if we need the slot.

Shaughno
06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Yes, right now since we have more Americans than we need, we can trade an american for an international without affecting our international slots.

Yes and no. Harmse is not great, but he isn't paid that much either, and he's in a position we can actually use him. I think we have americans that are paid more, and potentially used less, that we will get rid of first if we need the slot.

Agreed again. Especially with Edu going away on Int'l duty and possibly Robbo as well. Harmse may have a bad rep, but he knows the league and has proven to be a fairly solid backup DM when he actually decides to use his head.

Wagner
06-04-2008, 01:11 PM
i really think that something's up.
June 14 tix are harder to get than LA Gals....
i think there's a reason.
The team knew that something would go down around now.

Razcle
06-04-2008, 01:16 PM
i really think that something's up.
June 14 tix are harder to get than LA Gals....
i think there's a reason.
The team knew that something would go down around now.

For real??? you think that tickets to the next home game are harder to come by because the team bought them or because a group of supporters closer to TFC than us knows something we don't know??? Is this a joke that I am missing the punch line to?

Cashcleaner
06-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Pat Phelan getting sent off packing kinda came outta left field. I thought for sure Carver and Mo would want to develop him here for a while. Though the trade for an open senior international slot is definitely intriguing.

Oldtimer
06-04-2008, 01:43 PM
I suspect that Mo needs a multi-year spot because he will sign our DP striker to a multi-year deal. The current empty international spot expires at the end of this season.

djking2
06-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Nyarko from Chicago requires an international spot and so would a DP striker presumably. What a coup if Mo could pull off both of those. One for today and one for tomorrow. It could happen

Wagner
06-04-2008, 02:16 PM
For real??? you think that tickets to the next home game are harder to come by because the team bought them or because a group of supporters closer to TFC than us knows something we don't know??? Is this a joke that I am missing the punch line to?

When the nomads made their group purchase.
June 14 wasn't available.
the day that tix went on sale to either gen public or Season Ticketholders....
Tix were had for every game, Home Opener, LA Gals, but absolutely nothing was available for the June 14 game.

Which makes me think something's up.

I also think 9/11 is an inside job, and that the Masons and Illuminati run the planet. FWIW

it might just be a big group purchase, like OAkville Soccer is having a
special day that day....but they already get like 100+ tix to everygame.

but it seems odd that this game has so few tix available.

Keyman
06-04-2008, 03:37 PM
It was only a while ago that Pat did this interview with me :(

read somewhere that you received offers to play in Europe before the draft. Is this true? And if so, what made you choose the MLS instead?

-I was fortunate to have the opportunity to go over to Europe after the draft to see what it could offer me. Unfortunately, the timing wasn’t too great because the transfer window for most teams closed at the end of January. I was only able to trial with a Danish First Division club. The situation there wasn’t a good fit for me and I figured that Toronto would be a great place to begin my professional career so I came back to MLS.

You've now been in Toronto for a while, what have you learned about the city that you didn't know when you were drafted?

-I didn’t know much about Toronto at all before I came here. I visited here when I was younger but didn’t remember much, except that it was very cold. I knew that the city closely resembled many European cities and that it was an ethnically diverse city. I didn’t realize how expensive it was but I know now. I had heard about the fans and the passion they have for the club but it’s something you really have to experience in person. The atmosphere is the best in MLS by far.

You were named the Gatorade High School player of the year in 2003, how did this award impact you as a player?

-It’s always nice to win awards but for me, that award was special because it not only acknowledged my athletic achievements but also recognized my work in the community and my academic accomplishments. It let me know that I was on the right track not only as a player but as a person too. One of the perks of winning the award was a trip to the ESPY awards in Hollywood where I got to meet former FIFA World Player of the Year George Weah which was an honor to say the least.

You played at Wake Forest where you had a very successful college career, how do you feel the NCAA compares to other development leagues and systems, and do you feel it prepared you for the MLS?

-It’s tough to gauge the NCAA to other development leagues and systems since I wasn’t really a part of any others but I felt that the NCAA did a good job in preparing me to be a professional. Wake Forest is very difficult academically so I really have to balance my time between athletics and academics. It helped a lot with time management and prioritizing. It’s very nice not to have to worry about school anymore; now I can focus completely on becoming a better player. I also felt like I was very lucky to have played under such a great coach in Jay Vidovich. In the past couple years he has helped produce a number of players in MLS like Michael Parkhurst, Will Hesmer, Scott Sealy, and Brian Carroll (to name a few). The program he has built was a perfect environment for me and my development.

What is your preferred position as a player?

-I would have to say I’m most comfortable at center back, although I’m becoming more and more comfortable as a holding midfielder. I spent some time at right back in college and in training here in Toronto. At this point I’m just trying to become a complete player since we will be losing a lot of guys for the Olympics and other international duties. I want to be able to step in wherever I’m needed.

Many players have complained to me about field turf, what are your feelings when it comes to playing on it?

-To be honest I’ve never really liked it. I’m still pretty young so I don’t feel the soreness as much like a lot of older players do. It’s nice that the surface never really gets worn down or damaged like a grass field can. It does, however, produce some unexpected bounces and I feel like striking the ball on turf takes a different kind of technique as opposed to grass. I’ve also had some trouble with the ball sticking to my feet on turf but I don’t want to blame that on the surface. It is what it is, we just have to deal with it and try and play.

You have yet to step on the field in a game for Toronto FC. How do you deal with the change from the NCAA, where you were a integral part to your team, to the MLS where you are a rookie waiting his turn on a contender?

-It’s obviously a bit frustrating but it’s the nature of the professional game. Although I’ve never been on a team where I haven’t been a consistent starter, I realize that I will have to pay my dues and work hard to prove that I deserve to be on the field. Experience is crucial in the professional ranks so I understand that the older and more experienced players will most likely play more than I will. Having said that, it’s my job to make sure that the players who are playing in front of me deserve to be out there and I will do my best to make it very difficult for them to keep their spots.

Is there a player that takes the role of leader in the locker room, and lets the team know when they need to perform better?

-Obviously Jim Brennan is our captain and the vocal leader of the team. He isn’t the only one though; we have several veterans (like Tyrone Marshall, Carl Robinson, Danny Dichio, and Greg Sutton) who know when it is time to speak up and let the team know when things need to get better.

John Carver was hired at the beginning of this season and I have personally received nothing but great reviews from players about him. How has he impacted you as a player?

-JC has been a fantastic addition to the club in my opinion. He has a created a very professional atmosphere and really pays attention to detail trying to do things the right way. He is very committed to the development of the younger players and does a good job of making all the players feel like they are part of the team regardless of whether or not they play a lot of minutes. What I like most about him as a coach is that everything he does is done for a reason; everything has a purpose which helps to keep me focused on what I need to do to get better and help the team perform well.

How did the team mentality change once Rohan Ricketts, Laurent Robert and Amado Guevara were added to the team? Did you notice a change in the confidence level of the team?

-There was a 2 week period or so where the team wasn’t really a team. Within a couple weeks we released Boyens, Samuel, and Hemming, and signed Ricketts, Guevara, Robert, and Tebily. It was kind of strange to have so much movement within the team in such a short period of time but once the roster was set and we started to get a feel of everyone the team’s confidence shot through the roof. Although the future of the team was a little uncertain at the beginning of the season things have leveled out considerable. Now we’re very confident and learning to play well together.

Which player has helped you the most while with TFC?

-At this point I would have to say Carl Robinson. He’s a very down to earth individual and always has great advice for the younger players. He’s made my transition into MLS much easier than I thought it would be.

Going forward, what are your personal goals as a player, and how do you see this season shaping out for Toronto FC?

-My personal goals are to keep improving everyday and to be prepared to step into any situation at any given time. As a rookie I know I’m not guaranteed anything so when my opportunity does come I have to be ready. While the season started out on a rough note, the past few games have given the team, and the fans, a lot of confidence. I think it has helped being at home and the new additions to the team have obviously had a significant impact. I think it’s important for the team to avoid becoming complacent with our performance. As JC says all the time, “don’t think we’ve cracked it.” We need to keep working hard each day and try to get better in every training session. I’ve very excited about the future of the team and I think this season will be a dramatic change from last season. I can’t wait to see how it all pans out.

olegunnar
06-04-2008, 03:44 PM
When the nomads made their group purchase.
June 14 wasn't available.
the day that tix went on sale to either gen public or Season Ticketholders....
Tix were had for every game, Home Opener, LA Gals, but absolutely nothing was available for the June 14 game.

Which makes me think something's up.

I also think 9/11 is an inside job, and that the Masons and Illuminati run the planet. FWIW

it might just be a big group purchase, like OAkville Soccer is having a
special day that day....but they already get like 100+ tix to everygame.

but it seems odd that this game has so few tix available.

You forgot to add that they mysteriously had to move this game from it's original August date without giving an explanation

TFC Cityboy
06-04-2008, 04:35 PM
You forgot to add that they mysteriously had to move this game from it's original August date without giving an explanation
the plot thickens...Oh and that's my birthday too!!

hazy_venus
06-04-2008, 05:05 PM
What kid?:confused:

I think they are referring to this one Killian Elkinson
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t280&player=elkinson_k&playerId=elk315464&statType=current

Still kind of a weird trade though

Razcle
06-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Are you sure hazy...I thought they were talking about the Kid from Newcastle that Carver is looking at....its in another thread.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-04-2008, 06:22 PM
so guys i have a question... DO we traded phelan forever or we kind of "loaned him" for an international spot...?

Wagner
06-04-2008, 06:32 PM
it's times like this i wish BBTB would come back....
he'd have clever insight on something like this.

:(

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-04-2008, 06:34 PM
So who might be the international player Mo could be looking at? Huckerby i hope not,Barry Ferguson...hell no? Henry...i would settle for Him!!!

ManUtd4ever
06-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Today's deal was definitely necessitated by the McBride scenario and is setting the stage for something big...

jloome
06-04-2008, 06:45 PM
So who might be the international player Mo could be looking at? Huckerby i hope not,Barry Ferguson...hell no? Henry...i would settle for Him!!!

Again, this shows a startling lack of knowledge of the players you're talking about. Huckerby is well beyond MLS' talent level and so is Ferguson.

noochie
06-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I think they are referring to this one Killian Elkinson
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t280&player=elkinson_k&playerId=elk315464&statType=current

Still kind of a weird trade though

I think he was referring to Alex Francis formerly of Newcastle United.

Dirk Diggler
06-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Good by Pat Phelan. We hardly knew ye'. Seriously. I honestly have no clue what he looks like. Might have seen him multiple times but can't put the name to a face.

ExiledRed
06-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Good by Pat Phelan. We hardly knew ye'. Seriously. I honestly have no clue what he looks like. Might have seen him multiple times but can't put the name to a face.

He looks like me, except younger, stockier and less handsome.

Wagner
06-04-2008, 08:27 PM
we never got use the following songs for Phelan.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IcsVPis1iNs

or

this one:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8

ExiledRed
06-04-2008, 08:30 PM
ExiledRed:
http://gotorontofc.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22708&g2_serialNumber=1

Pat Phelan:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w180/ExiledRed/smiling-1.jpg

Torcida
06-04-2008, 08:40 PM
so guys i have a question... DO we traded phelan forever or we kind of "loaned him" for an international spot...?
This has probablt been answered. But from what I gather we traded Phelan FOR an (1) international spot until the end of the 2010 season then the spot goes back to NE.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-04-2008, 09:35 PM
This has probablt been answered. But from what I gather we traded Phelan FOR an (1) international spot until the end of the 2010 season then the spot goes back to NE.
does phelan go back to TO?

Marc"2L"
06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Don't think so