PDA

View Full Version : If you were Julian De Guzman...

Damien
07-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I'd personally take the money and be the hero, but that's me.

H Bomb
07-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I've always been waiting for my chance to sell out. That's what I'd do

cyris2k
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I would stay in Europe and play with some of the best on the planet. Like most matches JDG was in a class above the rest. Let's see if he chooses $$$ over standard of play. TFC in a few years unless the european offers are scarse.

nascarguy
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Europe seat warmer with less money or a canadian hero with more money & playing time

Parkdale
07-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I'd just stop messing around and make a decision.

nascarguy
07-08-2009, 11:25 AM
he would be a sub if he stays in europe and not play every game but if he was to come back home he would be a starter and play every game

Steve
07-08-2009, 11:35 AM
he would be a sub if he stays in europe and not play every game but if he was to come back home he would be a starter and play every game

Umm, citation needed? Why do you think he would be a bench warmer?

Anyway, I would sell out in a second. Dreams are good, money is better. Take the money JDG.

Parkdale
07-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I believe the expression is....

Shit or get off the pot

Lennon
07-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Umm, citation needed? Why do you think he would be a bench warmer?

Anyway, I would sell out in a second. Dreams are good, money is better. Take the money JDG.

Yea ... he's not going to Europe to sit on the bench .. he was Deportivo's player of the year 2 years ago ffs ...

Red Baron
07-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Europe

Beach_Red
07-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Depends how much less money.

flatpicker
07-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I would totally go for the cash!

The guy isn't gonna climb much higher in his career than where he's already been playing...
... so the money is the next best option.

nascarguy
07-08-2009, 12:04 PM
in 2 years of playing in the mls he could get a better deal from a epl club. Right now
Europe is having more money trouble then canada. note to mo & mlse: why not just buy all the CMNT players ..

Bobo
07-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Depends how much less money.

I think it depends more on which European clubs come calling. If they're insignificant, then I'd come home. But then again, time is ticking on the MLS season.

Beach_Red
07-08-2009, 12:05 PM
in 2 years of playing in the mls he could get a better deal from a epl club. Right now
Europe is having more money trouble then canada. note to mo & mlse: why not just buy all the CMNT players ..

If there was no salary cap they probably would.

Shaughno
07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Put it this way.

Take the money and run.

Or

Play against the likes of Kaka, Ronaldo, Messi, Eto'o, Puyol, Sneijder, Pepe, Raul, Xabi, etc.

Personally, as a player and a fan of the game, I'm not sure I could turn down the prospect of playing against that calibre of players.

nascarguy
07-08-2009, 12:08 PM
yeah then we would really be fuck come world cup call ups

dupont
07-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Either way he will be making way (way) more money than the average person so he should just stay in Europe and play at a higher level even if it's for less money.

wzhxvy
07-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Think about it this way...you are 60 years old and have 5 working years left. You have an option of making more money with a company to help secure your retirement or go work for a new and exciting company that has great people but make less money...what would you choose ? If he goes to Europe for less money then he is a fool...I firmly believe that...

Hitcho
07-08-2009, 12:27 PM
You're all assuming he NEEDS the money guys. If that were the case then he'd already have siged with TFC. He's already loaded conpared to all of us and if he signes for a primaera liga club for another 4-6 years then he'll easily have enough to invest it wiselty and retire comfortably. Plus he's probably got the option of coming to TFC whenever he wants to earn some MLSE cash (admittedly maybe less than now but still plenty) and given his career he could probably come back and either open up an academy or go into tv punditry when he stops playing, both of which could bring in some comfy wonga.

So yeah, if you;re broke then you take the money and run. If you;re alreayd well off and the alternative to TFC is still a healthy amount of money and a comfortable future, but playing against world class players on a regular basis, then the decision is not so straightforward, no?

bee dubya
07-08-2009, 12:30 PM
^ not everyone is motivated by the almighty dollar. I'd be foolish to say that it isn't a factor but I do believe that some people will accept less money to take a more challenging/rewarding position.

Shaughno
07-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Think about it this way...you are 60 years old and have 5 working years left. You have an option of making more money with a company to help secure your retirement or go work for a new and exciting company that has great people but make less money...what would you choose ? If he goes to Europe for less money then he is a fool...I firmly believe that...

Says the person who's never played professional football.

Why is it that hard to assume that it's NOT about the money? I can honestly say I would turn down the money to play against some of the best players in the world, regularily.

It's not anything like your comparison either. He's 27 and long after his playing days, he can still make money through many other avenues including coaching, teaching, clothing, promotional events, etc. It's not like he has to live off his next 5 years salary for the rest of his life.

olegunnar
07-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Europe

Being the best soccer player in MLS is like being the best Rugby player in Idaho. Big f-ing deal.

If you're a competitor you want to compete against the best. As long as I had an opportunity to play against the best I would make damn sure that's what I did.

Shaughno
07-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Europe

Being the best soccer player in MLS is like being the best Rugby player in Idaho. Big f-ing deal.

If you're a competitor you want to compete against the best. As long as I had an opportunity to play against the best I would make damn sure that's what I did.

Exactamundo, on both points.

bertal
07-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Europe

i agree. OT: he should get rid of the afro

Shaughno
07-08-2009, 12:46 PM
i agree. OT: he should get rid of the afro

No way, it's the only way I can figure out where he is on the pitch when I don't have my glasses on. :lol:

wzhxvy
07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Where is JDG going to be able to make $3M or $7M after he retires from his playing days ? How many athletes have done that as a percentage of all professional athletes ?

As in real life...most people have prime "money making years" in their career...if you dont make the money during those years, you could be facing an uphill battle for the rest of your life...that is just a fact.

So unless some of you suggest, JDG does not need the money or is just a different kind of dude (not in a good way)...then he could be walking away from the opportunity of a lifetime...

The Pope
07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
This is common in Basketball

Player A is the best player from Croatia

He's got a big money offer from a Croatian team (in a decent league, but most people don't care about it) and a smaller offer from the NBA (the best in the world)

Simple choice for most athletes...you go where the best in the world are

Steve
07-08-2009, 12:49 PM
You're all assuming he NEEDS the money guys.

Define "Need". I mean, in one definition, I don't "need" a raise. I'm quite comfortable, can feed myself, put a roof over my head, etc. That said, of course I would take a huge raise, and would move companies for it in a second. Of course JDG doesn't "need" the money, but he sure does probably want it. Of course that isn't his only concern, if it was he would be playing here already. Of course, if it wasn't a concern at all, he'd have turned the offer down already and offered his services to a team in La Liga for nothing (I mean, if he just wants to play against Ronaldo, why not play for free? Teams would be jumping at that offer I'm sure).

Anyway, it's funny how this thread splits opinions. On one hand you have the sports idealists, who would play out their dream no matter what. On the other hand you have the greedy capitalists (wzhxvy and I) who would take the money in a second. Good times.

Get In There
07-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Yea ... he's not going to Europe to sit on the bench .. he was Deportivo's player of the year 2 years ago ffs ...

Then why are they not offering him a contract ....ffs

B

Steve
07-08-2009, 01:08 PM

B

He complained that he wasn't getting paid (which was the truth) so they got angry at the audacity of him wanting to actually make some money from playing a sport, and benched/released him.

Shaughno
07-08-2009, 01:08 PM

B

Because they are fucking BROKE! Hence why they had issues paying people last year.

rocker
07-08-2009, 01:11 PM
i'd come home for the moula that would set up my family for life and my retirement... AND I get to hang out with my best buddies like Dero and Gerba.. AND I get to be a hero. just about no compromises required. level of play is less, but my return would make the level of play on TFC better :)

then in this comfort zone i'd try to win the first ever Canadian team's MLS cup, grow the game, and get ready for the next world cup qualifying, developing chemistry with my canadian teammates.

what more could i want? some abstract challenge on an average Euro team? less money? huh?

olegunnar
07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
At the risk of sounding like Al Bundy bragging about his career at Polk High.....

I think it would be very interesting to see the make up of the athletic backgrounds and experiences of those that voted.

My guess is the the people that played something at a fairly high level would vote Europe, those that were on the debating team or in the stage crew-audio video club would pick the money.

deltox
07-08-2009, 01:19 PM
how about this.

if you are a toronto boy and you play hockey.

would you a) go to a winning NHL team that is on track from winning the stanley cup (the dream)
or b) play for toronto because its your home....and they will pay more?

now some people will say money......others might say....go for glory and money be damned.....especially if you already have some money.

what would u do?

wzhxvy
07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
At the risk of sounding like Al Bundy bragging about his career at Polk High.....

I think it would be very interesting to see the make up of the athletic backgrounds and experiences of those that voted.

My guess is the the people that played something at a fairly high level would vote Europe, those that were on the debating team or in the stage crew-audio video club would pick the money.

Interesting perspective :-) I guess that would explain the life choices of people based on their sports history/geek factor in their younger years...I am not sure we want to go there.

olegunnar
07-08-2009, 01:24 PM
some abstract challenge on an average Euro team?

There's a lot to be said for that.

How much do you think David Edgar values scoring against United? Or do you think he'd give that up to make double the money scoring against the Wizards in a baseball stadium?

How much would the opportunity to play against the Galacticos at the Bernabeu be worth to a player?

How about all the players that request transfers to teams playing in Champions League and Europa cup games.

How about Atiba Hutchison playing in Champions League against United...how much is that experience worth?

To switch sports, how about the Japanese baseball players that give up the fame and $$ to compete against the best in MLB. They've decided it's worth more to compete at the highest level than to take the $$ and fame.

Same with basketball, Calderon could probably make more money in Spain, but he sticks with the Raptors.

I could go on and on.

To some it may be some abstract challenge, but to competitors it's why you play the game.

dupont
07-08-2009, 01:29 PM

I am a straight up skinny videogame playing nerd and I still voted Europe.

Shaughno
07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
There's a lot to be said for that.

How much do you think David Edgar values scoring against United? Or do you think he'd give that up to make double the money scoring against the Wizards in a baseball stadium?

How much would the opportunity to play against the Galacticos at the Bernabeu be worth to a player?

How about all the players that request transfers to teams playing in Champions League and Europa cup games.

How about Atiba Hutchison playing in Champions League against United...how much is that experience worth?

To switch sports, how about the Japanese baseball players that give up the fame and $$ to compete against the best in MLB. They've decided it's worth more to compete at the highest level than to take the $$ and fame.

Same with basketball, Calderon could probably make more money in Spain, but he sticks with the Raptors.

I could go on and on.

To some it may be some abstract challenge, but to competitors it's why you play the game.

Bang on again. Most athletes or people with that 'competitive edge' would choose Europe over the $$.

Keyman
07-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Julian de Guzman could be a very influential player if he signs with Toronto FC. Right now, moving to Major League Soccer in the prime years of your career would be deemed outlandish. However, de Guzman has the opportunity, if he does sign, to smash those perceptions and potentially intice other players to view a move to North America as slightly more acceptable. I'm not trying to imply that suddenly a wave of players would drop their careers in Europe and sign in MLS, but no longer would a player have to be the "first" one to do so; and that could possibly attract more players.

The only way the game is going to grow in North America is if the quality of play improves, and I'm of the opinion that de Guzman coming to Toronto would go a long way to doing just that.

wzhxvy
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Yes son (or daughter), daddy wants to go play in Europe because the players are better there...dont worry about your future though, daddy is very competitive and wants to fulfill his dream to play against other guys who really know how to play with a round ball...dont worry about the money.

I think its simplistic to claim that people who want him to go to Europe are more competitive than those who voted for the money...I think they are more likely the "dreamer" type than the competitive type.

Shaughno
07-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Yes son (or daughter), daddy wants to go play in Europe because the players are better there...dont worry about your future though, daddy is very competitive and wants to fulfill his dream to play against other guys who really know how to play with a round ball...dont worry about the money.

I think its simplistic to claim that people who want him to go to Europe are more competitive than those who voted for the money...I think they are more likely the "dreamer" type than the competitive type.

It's not like he would be turning down the contract to play for a typical MLS salary. He would most likely still be making more than anyone in the MLS, DP's aside.

Beach_Red
07-08-2009, 02:01 PM

Well, I don't know if this is close enough, but I write for TV, I'm currently working on a show in Toronto. Most of the other writers go back and forth between LA and Toronto and would really like to work in LA - in this comparison writing in LA would be like playing in Europe. I voted take the money and play in Toronto.

I have no desire to go live in LA.

And what makes this situation even weirder is that the bigger money is closer to home. When you're 20 and single money isn't such a big deal. When you've done it for a few years and then have kids and only a few years left to make the majority of your money it starts to be a lot different.

Shaughno
07-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Well, I don't know if this is close enough, but I write for TV, I'm currently working on a show in Toronto. Most of the other writers go back and forth between LA and Toronto and would really like to work in LA - in this comparison writing in LA would be like playing in Europe. I voted take the money and play in Toronto.

I have no desire to go live in LA.

And what makes this situation even weirder is that the bigger money is closer to home. When you're 20 and single money isn't such a big deal. When you've done it for a few years and then have kids and only a few years left to make the majority of your money it starts to be a lot different.

It's still nowhere near the same comparison IMO. Sports decisions and business decisions are VERY different, even when they are linked together.

Cristiano14
07-08-2009, 02:04 PM
In simpler terms: Would you rather be king of the village, or a janitor in the city?

Beach_Red
07-08-2009, 02:07 PM
It's still nowhere near the same comparison IMO. Sports decisions and business decisions are VERY different, even when they are linked together.

I don't see it as a business decision, it's a "dreams" decision or a desire to play with the "big boys," decision. That's where it's similar.

It's true, writing for money falls between art and commerce but I think playing spors for money also falls between sport and commerce.

olegunnar
07-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Which is what JDG (who I believe is 28 and has no kids) is saying.

He'd like one more contract in Europe, then come home for the payday.

Beach_Red
07-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Which is what JDG (who I believe is 28 and has no kids) is saying.

He'd like one more contract in Europe, then come home for the payday.

Right, and he has to weigh the difference in payday now against the difference in payday then.

If TFC stay true to the course they seem to have set, they won't offer big paydays to players over a certain age. In four years when JDG is 32 and ready for his MLS payday, TFC wil be trying to lure a 28 year old. If the salary cap has gone up or if there are two DPs per team or something like that,it could work out.

It's a gamble. Could go either way.

You know his agent is looking for the biggest payday possible.

Shaughno
07-08-2009, 02:13 PM
He has been playing with the big boys. The point is, he doesn't want to leave that yet. It's obviously much better playing with the big boys then coming over to play in the MLS, as shown by the insane amount of money being offered just to get him to consider it.

Two scenarios:

1) He stays in Spain/Europe. He gets probably about $1M US/annum and gets to play at the highest level available. Playing against top players in top competitions. If he flops, no biggie. He heads over and plays in the MLS, albiet probably for cheaper than is being offered.

2) He comes to MLS. He gets about $7M US/annum and gets to run around like Schelletto, being toted as the best player in the MLS. That is, IF he tears it up like everyone seemingly thinks he's going to do. If he doesn't, the fans are pissed at the amount of money he's being paid, and his teammates too.

Get In There
07-08-2009, 02:18 PM
He complained that he wasn't getting paid (which was the truth) so they got angry at the audacity of him wanting to actually make some money from playing a sport, and benched/released him.

off topic but - guys.....

He is so good but they benched/released him.....?

He is so good but he doesn't have any real european offers (cuz if he did it would be signed bf gold cup)...?

JDG is a fantastic player .... for a Canadian

Amazing for this league.....but he's not the top tier in Europe, but in his mind he is.

He's too tiny for the EPL

SPL is broke (the country is broke) except the top two - not good enough for them - that is where his cred is -

..........where are the offers?

So back to the point...

Yes, he'd be fighting to come off the bench (for any team worth signing over MLS $)

B

Yohan
07-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Right, and he has to weigh the difference in payday now against the difference in payday then.

If TFC stay true to the course they seem to have set, they won't offer big paydays to players over a certain age. In four years when JDG is 32 and ready for his MLS payday, TFC wil be trying to lure a 28 year old. If the salary cap has gone up or if there are two DPs per team or something like that,it could work out.

and by the time when JDG is 32, and wants to play in MLS, he might not even get DP money

consider overall improvement in league quality in last 3 years and if the trend continues, the league overall should be much better than today (hopefully)

and at 32, you won't be able to demand DP wages possibly. just look at Celades playing for the Shite right now. has all of the good pedigree and resume, and he's not making DP money

olegunnar
07-08-2009, 02:22 PM

the other side of the coin is though, would there be offers from Europe when he's 32 and spent 3 years in MLS?

This could be his last shot at playing in a giant league.

Dirk Diggler
07-08-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm sorry but if JDG tries to sign here at the age of 32, with all due respect, he should be told to get bent. At that age, why are we going to waste our DP spot on a middle of the road player with very little marketing value? Sure, he'd be available for less money but he will not be a DP calibre player in the least ... at that age, we should be looking to sign players who started most games for their clubs and have some marketing pull as well.

grizzle
07-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I am surprised nobody said "come to TFC if they get grass"

olegunnar
07-08-2009, 02:24 PM

Gooch...that pylon of a centreback for the US just signed with AC Milan and will make 700,000 Euros a year.

I think it's safe to say that no matter where he plays JDG will be making at least a million a year. son or daughter will never have to do without.

Shaughno
07-08-2009, 02:25 PM
off topic but - guys.....

He is so good but they benched/released him.....? Because he spoke out about not getting paid by his club. He 'happened' to be their best player the season before last.

He is so good but he doesn't have any real european offers (cuz if he did it would be signed bf gold cup)...?

He's had offers, just not the ones he wants.

JDG is a fantastic player .... for a Canadian. Agreed, and not worth $7M a year IMO.

Amazing for this league.....but he's not the top tier in Europe, but in his mind he is. He was hailed for shutting down Real Madrids midfield a year and a half ago. He IS good enough for top tier in Europe, but he's not good enough to be a Barca/Madrid player.

He's too tiny for the EPL I tend to agree.

SPL is broke (the country is broke) except the top two - not good enough for them - that is where his cred is - I don't think he ever planned on going to the SPL.

..........where are the offers? He has barely played all last season, so nobody has any recent form to base anything from. Wait until after the Gold Cup, then ask again.

So back to the point...

Yes, he'd be fighting to come off the bench (for any team worth signing over MLS $) Not true, he was a starting player in La Liga and was the best player on his team. He's still that good, he just hasn't found a team that is a)big enough for his liking and/or b) has the space to fit him in/can afford to buy players.

B

Spain, his ideal market, is a tough sell right now because of the country's economic situation.

I think he's too small for the EPL personally, so he's left with Germany or Serie A... or some one from La Liga finally scoops him up.

billyfly
07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
If I was Julian I would also kick my brother's ass for not playing for Canada.

Beach_Red
07-08-2009, 02:36 PM
the other side of the coin is though, would there be offers from Europe when he's 32 and spent 3 years in MLS?

This could be his last shot at playing in a giant league.

It could also be his last shot at a giant payday.

And that's why this decision is so tough and he hasn't made it yet. If he was certain one way or the other, this would be done.

Get In There
07-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Spain, his ideal market, is a tough sell right now because of the country's economic situation.

I think he's too small for the EPL personally, so he's left with Germany or Serie A... or some one from La Liga finally scoops him up.

my bad - by SPL I meant La Liga (Spanish PL)

Naw - why did he barely play last year if he is that damn good (it was not about asking to get paid).

He can't be a top tier player but has no offers from that tier - does not compute.

Italy, portugal, spain, germany, france, turkey....?

where are the offers?

"He's the guy that shut down RM"

Where are the offers?

B

Yohan
07-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Naw - why did he barely play last year if he is that damn good (it was not about asking to get paid).
more you post, more I'm convinced you're talking out of your ass

he's been oft injured last season for Deportivo, hence why he hasn't featured a lot

He can't be a top tier player but has no offers from that tier - does not compute.

where are the offers?
he's been linked to clubs in Spain, Germany and England.
I dunno if there has been any concrete offers yet (and all reports suggest that he's been given some feelers, but nothing that amounts to what he's been offered by TFC) but the fact that he's getting interests from top leagues in Europe indicates he is pretty good after all
and, a lot of times behind the door contract talks dont get reported at all

do some research next time

Shaughno
07-08-2009, 02:44 PM

where are the offers?

"He's the guy that shut down RM"

Where are the offers?

B

It was the reason, but whatever. There have been plenty of interest from what I've heard, just nothing that would convince him to pass up TFC's offer yet.

Where's your research?

mmmikey
07-08-2009, 03:00 PM

from someone who played tonnes of sports: that is one of the most ignorant, stereo type laden comments i have seen on this board in a while. if all athletes had this amazing moral fiber to see past $$$ then why is robinho playing for manchester city (i dont feel like naming a million other examples)???

mmmikey
07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I dunno if there has been any concrete offers yet (and all reports suggest that he's been given some feelers, but nothing that amounts to what he's been offered by TFC) but the fact that he's getting interests from top leagues in Europe indicates he is pretty good after all

this is the funny part.. some ppl (not you) are taking this moral high ground, competition is greater than money standpoint. yet why doesn't he have a contract? its because no one has offered him the money he wants. he is holding out for something better. money matters to him.

im still convinced this DP thing is just leverage to get a better deal in europe (hopefully for spurs :). but MAN, i would be happy if he signed with TFC. the idea that he is just doing all this for competitive reasons is because none of us got to live the dream he is. once your living the dream, it isn't a dream anymoer and u still want to get paid.

Shaughno
07-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Of course he still wants to get paid, but if he stays in Europe it's not like he won't get paid. Well as long as he moves away from his last club anyway :lol:

mmmikey
07-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Of course he still wants to get paid, but if he stays in Europe it's not like he won't get paid. Well as long as he moves away from his last club anyway :lol:

oh for sure, european clubs will still pay him decently.. but he could easily pick a team he really likes and take the first reasonable offer.

point im trying to make is this: there is still a price tag with a number attached to it in his head though. he isn't going to say "whatever, i dont care what the contract says.. its good enough as long as your roster is good!"

TFC HSV
07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
It all comes to down his preference. Personally I'd want to play as much as I can. TFC gives him that oppertunity. No ones kidding anyone, this league isnt up to european standards and he's still very capable of playing there. I can see why hes taking his time.

Lennon
07-08-2009, 03:55 PM
If Aaron Lennon and Luka Modric aren't too small for the EPL De Guzman isn't either ...

mmmikey
07-08-2009, 04:18 PM
If Aaron Lennon and Luka Modric aren't too small for the EPL De Guzman isn't either ...

modric-JDG-palacios-lennon

that would be nice wouldn't it? :)

Lennon
07-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Yea that would be amazing ... hopefully Harry was watching yesterday ...

olegunnar
07-08-2009, 04:24 PM
from someone who played tonnes of sports: that is one of the most ignorant, stereo type laden comments i have seen on this board in a while. if all athletes had this amazing moral fiber to see past $$$ then why is robinho playing for manchester city (i dont feel like naming a million other examples)???

Good thing you didn't waste your time naming other examples that aren't applicable.

How is going from La Liga to the EPL as Robhino did the same or even similar to going from La Liga to MLS?

I never talked about moral fibre, I talked about the desire to compete at the highest level possible for as long as possible. I talked about how you can't put a $ amount on some of the opportunities in his professional career he'd have in Europe. Especially since the window of opportunity is much smaller for the European option as compared to the MLS option.

mmmikey
07-08-2009, 04:44 PM

^ this is the comment i responded to (and quoted). it's ignorant. u state (sry, "guess") that the ppl who disagree are probably all geeks/nerds who don't know better, and anyone who has gotten anywhere in sports would agree with u. u made a blanket statement and categorized ppl into two big categories.. so, i found a single outlier. an athelete at a high level who picked money over competition.

how about european qualification over no europe at all? bigger difference than just la liga + CL with real vs epl and no european competition of any kind with man city. robinho is now a big fish in a small pond (sry man city supporters), just like JDG would be with TFC. its an example of how u CAN put a money amount on level of competition and still not be an AV geek. that's entirely applicable.

Get In There
07-08-2009, 05:27 PM
more you post, more I'm convinced you're talking out of your ass

he's been oft injured last season for Deportivo, hence why he hasn't featured a lot
he's been linked to clubs in Spain, Germany and England.

do some research next time

Don't give me the high hat - everyone on this site is talking out of there ass.

Geez

'pretty good' - there's a relative term - he's 'pretty good'

He was injured. So it wasn't for talking out of school? I believe that was the point I was taking exception to...no?

It's obvious he wants to go back - so why is he playing in the gold cup without a contract if there are serious offers?

to the point being debated son - any offer that would convince him to go back and where his ego wants him to play he will be coming off the bench.

No?

B

Get In There
07-08-2009, 05:30 PM
It was the reason, but whatever. There have been plenty of interest from what I've heard, just nothing that would convince him to pass up TFC's offer yet.

Where's your research?

High Hat (TM) thinks it was injuries......no?

Shaug - no team is going to sit their best player for asking to get paid.

No team

B

Get In There
07-08-2009, 05:39 PM

Hey Len - I'm a Spurs man myself (it was a fun ride last year)

Lennon is a different, attacking style player - with a weak cross now and again. But I love his pace and first move (why his name is on my jersey)

Yes, his size is an issue but his speed and spark set him apart - why Defoe is a success as well.

Size is an issue for Modric

Size is an issue for Giovani

I want Palacios over JDG becasue of his size.

Yes it is an issue

Would JDG suck in the EPL - no, not by a long shot - but he'd be off the bench

B

Derko
07-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm not JDG and don't know his motives or needs.
If he signs for TFC great, if not what can you do!!
Another senseless poll.

Yohan
07-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Don't give me the high hat - everyone on this site is talking out of there ass.

http://www.icompositions.com/music/uploads/530/49674Dunce_Cap.png

Get In There
07-08-2009, 06:59 PM
http://www.icompositions.com/music/uploads/530/49674Dunce_Cap.png

Naw

Caspar from 'Miller's Crossing' (check out this flick if you have never picked it up before)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkJIcFMN_pc

B

Big Bruva
07-08-2009, 08:10 PM

:hump:oh my gosh perfect post and exactly what i thought and actually think many times when i read certain posts lol

Big Bruva
07-08-2009, 08:28 PM
In simpler terms: Would you rather be king of the village, or a janitor in the city?

Nowhere close to a good comparison if by knig you mean (TFC) and Janitor (Europe) :D

S_D
07-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Having been at an elite level when I was younger in an individual sport I can tell you without a doubt that I wanted to seek greater challenges. I used to fight in local regional tournaments, and quite frankly it was freaking BORING. I would go to a tournament and win without breaking a sweat. Most of my wins happened in under 20 seconds. I didn't lose a fight in 5 some odd years until I had to retire due to injuries.

I had to do tours in the U.S. to get higher quality opponents and it was not only challenging it was a lot more fun. I can totally see where JDG would want to go to Europe even if it was for less money.

Big Bruva
07-08-2009, 08:34 PM

Money is on the mind of nearly every footballer simple as and was clearly a huge reason why Robinho went to City BUT Robinho is still playing in arguably the best league in the world, against great players and in europe and making a huge amount of money so there is a difference.

Now look at Beckham who came here for the money and exposure etc and maybe had a piece of him that wanted to help the league, played in it and most would say even though he was getting all that money he still did not have the drive to be a success due to him not rating the league and wanting to play at a higher level and play against great players, now this is Beckham and like most have said about Julian Becks has played against great players his whole life and at the highest level and is the most famous footballer so he is hardly gonna be star struck but still pushed to make that move.

Big Bruva
07-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Man sometimes i hate when people tell me key information and tell me to "shhhh don't say anything yet" lol but i guess the news will come out soon.

FluSH
07-08-2009, 08:36 PM

Get used to it... for some reason olegunnar has made 2009 the year for him to make ignorant and/or blanket statement posts. I mean some of the stuff that comes out of him nowadays... He wasn't always like that though...

Beach_Red
07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Man sometimes i hate when people tell me key information and tell me to "shhhh don't say anything yet" lol but i guess the news will come out soon.

Will this news make people here happy?

reggie
07-08-2009, 08:42 PM
play here the rest of the season and loan him out in jan.

mmmikey
07-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Money is on the mind of nearly every footballer simple as and was clearly a huge reason why Robinho went to City BUT Robinho is still playing in arguably the best league in the world, against great players and in europe and making a huge amount of money so there is a difference.

Now look at Beckham who came here for the money and exposure etc and maybe had a piece of him that wanted to help the league, played in it and most would say even though he was getting all that money he still did not have the drive to be a success due to him not rating the league and wanting to play at a higher level and play against great players, now this is Beckham and like most have said about Julian Becks has played against great players his whole life and at the highest level and is the most famous footballer so he is hardly gonna be star struck but still pushed to make that move.

agreed.. money is a part of the equation for players and they often regret that obsession when it does sway them. but that's just it though. beckham was an athlete, and let the money sway him. it happens.

just being an athlete it doesn't mean u never put money first. maybe he says to himself, man thats alot of money and its at home with family and friends... u know what? that's worth it to me.

imo he has done his due dilligence, has his backup plan in place and a bargaining chip against teams trying to low ball him. we are gonna make sure he gets paid. probably by a european team.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-08-2009, 10:15 PM

So so cruel Bruv, so cruel

BoltonTFC
07-08-2009, 10:30 PM

Don't be dense. De Guzman's kids aren't going to be in line at the soup kitchen no matter which choice he makes.

rocker
07-08-2009, 10:31 PM

this is how Big Bruva keeps from breaking his "tell no lies" motto... doesn't actually give us any info!!!!

Shakes McQueen
07-08-2009, 10:38 PM

This is like a sophisticated way of saying "everyone who disagrees with me is just a pussy who doesn't get it!", haha.

You can be driven to reach a "higher level" in all kinds of fields, not just athletics. The concept of professional ambition isn't restricted to people who play sports.

If I was JDG, and I got a good monetary offer from Europe that would allow me to play at a high level and test myself, I would take it. But I would also recognize that my trade has a shelf life, and no one is going to be paying me to ply it when I'm 40, so it's important to secure my future while I can.

That doesn't automatically mean cashing in at Toronto FC, but depending on what his other tabled offers are - maybe it does.

And judging from what I'm hearing in the contract offer TFC made, signing for us wouldn't even signal the end of his career in Europe, since it apparently includes a player-directed out clause, if he get's a credible offer.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
07-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Don't be dense. De Guzman's kids aren't going to be in line at the soup kitchen no matter which choice he makes.

No, but over the course of JDG and his family's entire life, I bet it'd still amount to a significant difference in income, and standard of living.

His family could probably avoid the soup kitchen if he got paid $50K a year.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
07-08-2009, 11:27 PM
this is how Big Bruva keeps from breaking his "tell no lies" motto... doesn't actually give us any info!!!!

HAHAHAHA
that and he secures a line to possibly give us info in the future (i think im just being optimistic there)

wzhxvy
07-09-2009, 06:16 AM

I am the one who is being dense ??? So its either $7M or the soup kitchen ? OK there.

Cristiano14
07-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Nowhere close to a good comparison if by knig you mean (TFC) and Janitor (Europe) :D

haha yeah exactly what I mean, its over exagerated but decent :D

king dave
07-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Stay in Europe and finish up at TFC.
Worried about clubhouse vibe if he gets all that $$$ and the others get $.
Sure to cause riff.
KD.

HOGAN
07-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Sure to cause riff.
KD.

Especially if the signing of JDG results in the release/trade of another respected, popular veteran/leader on the field and in the room.

I say, if he hasnt decided already to come here, he shouldn't bother.

This team needs players who are here to win...not cash an inflated paycheck

ua-kozak_TFC
07-09-2009, 07:46 PM

I should be the last one pointing grammar mistakes ... but this is the biggest RUN ON SENTENCE EVER... LOL

ua-kozak_TFC
07-09-2009, 07:49 PM
You just have done it.... LADIES and GENTS.... JDG has signed...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rocker
07-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Sure to cause riff.

that stuff don't matter once they get on the field.
It's not like De Ro or Guevara are not gonna pass to JDG or somethin because they don't make as much money.

every team in MLS has guys making much more than others... if "clubhouse vibe" was a measurable stat, maybe we could figure out its effect. but it's not, so i'm not gonna worry about it.
We're a .500 team now.. last thing to worry about is salary jealousy. We still need to get better, simple as that. Having JDG would do that.

Fort York Redcoat
07-10-2009, 08:12 AM
I'm not sure how much developing in Europe he has left. If he wants to play over there another year or 2 at a higher level who could blame him (as a Canada supporter) but the time to come here and shine in our league gets shorter and shorter.

prizby
07-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure how much developing in Europe he has left. If he wants to play over there another year or 2 at a higher level who could blame him (as a Canada supporter) but the time to come here and shine in our league gets shorter and shorter.

agree 122%!

druid
07-10-2009, 08:46 AM
I think he's at his prime. There isn't much in the way of development left.

It also sounds like he's shopped himself around to the usual Pot 3 CL teams. If they haven't taken him up on the offer I don't think there's much left for him in Europe.

Whether that's due to his monetary demands or the fact that he's 28 (a lot of teams won't buy anyone over 26 anymore unless there's a huge upside) is hard to say. His stated preference for Spain may have made clubs from outside the county a little hesitant to sign. Can't have a player of that age taking six months or a year to settle when he's only got two years at the top flight left.

Don Julio
07-10-2009, 01:55 PM
I think he's at his prime. There isn't much in the way of development left.

It also sounds like he's shopped himself around to the usual Pot 3 CL teams. If they haven't taken him up on the offer I don't think there's much left for him in Europe.

Whether that's due to his monetary demands or the fact that he's 28 (a lot of teams won't buy anyone over 26 anymore unless there's a huge upside) is hard to say. His stated preference for Spain may have made clubs from outside the county a little hesitant to sign. Can't have a player of that age taking six months or a year to settle when he's only got two years at the top flight left.

They won't * buy * them, but they will take them on a free.

Maybe he should make a fancy 30 page brochure about himself and Fergie will snag him up!

shwade
07-10-2009, 04:46 PM
He can't develop his game much more at his age, it's all constant - downhill from here. I'd take the money fosho.

Big Bruva
07-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Will this news make people here happy?

Most will not see it coming i can say that.

Big Bruva
07-11-2009, 11:48 AM
agreed.. money is a part of the equation for players and they often regret that obsession when it does sway them. but that's just it though. beckham was an athlete, and let the money sway him. it happens.

just being an athlete it doesn't mean u never put money first. maybe he says to himself, man thats alot of money and its at home with family and friends... u know what? that's worth it to me.

imo he has done his due dilligence, has his backup plan in place and a bargaining chip against teams trying to low ball him. we are gonna make sure he gets paid. probably by a european team.

Oh no doubt bro i totally agree and trust me the reasons you gave will be the reasons he comes to TFC if he comes and i have said the same thing many times.

Big Bruva
07-11-2009, 11:51 AM

OMY lol you know i have to give a lil but not too much, the person told me out the blue and told me to keep it quiet for now so i gotta respect that but trust me it shocked me but didn't in a way :D

Beach_Red
07-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Most will not see it coming i can say that.

So does that means it's NOT something we've been talking to death here?

or should I say, not SOMEONE we've been talking about?

S_D
07-11-2009, 12:05 PM
My guess: he's gonna sign for a few months, take a bucket full of cash and then whip off to Europe.

shwade
07-11-2009, 09:20 PM
My guess: he's gonna sign for a few months, take a bucket full of cash and then whip off to Europe.

orr sign in Europe till January and then come here next year?

Shakes McQueen
07-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I really don't see any logical reason for him NOT to sign, if the contract is as rumoured. Millions of dollars to play here, plus a clause that lets you leave for Europe if/when a good offer comes along? How could you not take that deal?

The waiting and speculation is killing me though. I hope he decides very soon.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
07-12-2009, 08:42 AM
OMY lol you know i have to give a lil but not too much, the person told me out the blue and told me to keep it quiet for now so i gotta respect that but trust me it shocked me but didn't in a way :D

HAHAHAHA
fair enough, i hope the news is what i think it is:D

felipe
07-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Am I the only one that hopes he doesn't come?

1) For the national team, we need him playing at the top level in europe

2) The rumoured cash incentive is $3 million a year!

Thats roughly 10x what Robbo and DeRo make. Is he 10x better than Robbo? What do you expect on the field from a holding midfielder that makes that kind of cash?

How quickly will 'fans' turn on him when they realise just what he does on the field? I mean, dm is not the sexiest position - and arguably we already have two of the best in the league at that position.

How can he possibly measure up? And that's 100x more than Cronin earns - thats ridiculous!

What happens to locker room dynamics?

If we had donovan he'd write a bitter book about it! Brennan will lose his captaincy, all because of JDG's people...I think the entire idea is absurd.

It's a bad idea, plain and simple, the slight onfield upgrade is not worth the financial outlay, sorry.

Now, If only we'd signed Owen when we had the chance

Shakes McQueen
07-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Thats roughly 10x what Robbo and DeRo make. Is he 10x better than Robbo? What do you expect on the field from a holding midfielder that makes that kind of cash?

Football player wages don't work that way. They inflate exponentially. Cristiano Ronaldo isn't 10X better than Julian deGuzman either.

How quickly will 'fans' turn on him when they realise just what he does on the field? I mean, dm is not the sexiest position - and arguably we already have two of the best in the league at that position.

As others have suggested, I don't think he would be playing a pure CDM for us. He will likely be a CAM (ala CMNT), or a box-to-box central midfielder.

And the kind of dimwit that would turn on him for doing his job in midfield, probably won't be aware of who he is, or what we are paying him anyway.

What happens to locker room dynamics?

This is the one valid issue that I think exists in this whole transfer saga. I don't suspect it would be a problem with the whole locker room though - more likely just a problem between JDG and DeRo, if there even is one.

At the end of the day, I trust that DeRo would be a professional, and not begrudge JDG himself, for getting everything he could from the club. DeRo isn't exactly making peanuts either.

Brennan will lose his captaincy, all because of JDG's people...I think the entire idea is absurd.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Are they stripping his captaincy? They didn't when DeRo came to town.

Now, If only we'd signed Owen when we had the chance

We didn't have the chance, I can guarantee you that.

- Scott

thisisinternetclash
07-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I appreciate that the potential locker room problems shouldn't be dismissed or overlooked, but I think it's pretty clear that he wouldn't be used at a defensive midfielder should he sign for us. He doesn't even truly play that position for the national team, who play at a higher level than MLS. He'd play centrally and everything in midfield would go through him. I imagine he'd have a fair amount of license to get forward as well. If anybody's place would be threatened by his arrival, I imagine it would be Guevara's.

pubboy
07-12-2009, 12:52 PM
every team in MLS has guys making much more than others... if "clubhouse vibe" was a measurable stat, maybe we could figure out its effect. but it's not, so i'm not gonna worry about it.
We're a .500 team now.. last thing to worry about is salary jealousy. We still need to get better, simple as that. Having JDG would do that.

?? What the hell is a .500 team ????? :picard:

ua-kozak_TFC
07-12-2009, 01:04 PM

Well... in that sense... IS RObbo 10x better than Cronin? I don;t think so... or is he better than Sherry Joseph..from NE... I don;t think so neither That;s football...
I think the worst thing is that... we suppousedly have all these great players that all these TFC fans admire yet no other team wants them.... and its impossible to trade them...How does that work???? .. ..Maybe we are making an elephant out of a fly.. when talk about their skills.... just a thought

I don;t care how much people make as long as their play they play well... Also maybe the fact that JDG will be making that will be better for the team since the rest will push themself to earn more as well... since they know they can...

Yohan
07-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Well... in that sense... IS RObbo 10x better than Cronin? I don;t think so... or is he better than Sherry Joseph..from NE... I don;t think
Shalrie Joseph IS better than Robbo in practically every category at DM. And he makes just above Robbo for salary

s2cazz
07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I would take the money and be there hero... I don't think JDG will tho... He's too dedicated to advancing the CMNT and if you listen to him in the interview with It's Called Football he really wants to improve his game and get more European playing time...