PDA

View Full Version : Gerba!!!!

Manutd #1
07-07-2009, 08:47 PM
I cant wait for this guy to play for tfc, we do not need anymore strikers with gerba coming dichio off the bench, barret improving and o'brian white coming.

Gerba 2 goals in 2 games in gold cup.

TFC111
07-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Barrett improving at what exactly? We need finishing options, not simply attacking ones. Barrett can't finish to save his life.

Oblio2
07-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Barrett couldn't finish a fucking ice-cream.

Raging Reggie
07-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Barrett couldnt strike a match

kodiakTFC
07-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Barrett couldn't finish a fucking ice-cream.

Sure take a shot at us who happen to be lactose intolerant.

Manutd #1
07-07-2009, 09:13 PM
he has been better on the wing and some of his passes to dero have been world class he will be a good set up man for gerba who can finish

TFC111
07-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Gerba plays better as a lone target man at the top of a strong, passing oriented midfield. Barrett would just get in the way and make 20,000 people angry every game like he did for the first 3 months. I'll give you that he has been better coming off the bench on the wings, but he is not a striker option under any MLS circumstances.

FOGES
07-07-2009, 09:27 PM
he's fast....he's jacked...he's (obviously) Canadian....i reckon he'll do well in MLS

grizzle
07-07-2009, 09:59 PM
barret improving

By improving I hope you mean his bench warming skills. Hopefully with Gerba there it means we see him less on the field.

Yohan
07-07-2009, 10:02 PM
By improving I hope you mean his bench warming skills. Hopefully with Gerba there it means we see him less on the field.
you will still see a lot of Barrett on wings most likely.
unless Mo signs another winger soon.

instead of talking about endless chances he missed, how about talking about the goals that he did score, and how he can do a bit of hustling and passing and creating?

Manutd #1
07-07-2009, 10:04 PM

instead of talking about endless chances he missed, how about talking about the goals that he did score, and how he can do a bit of hustling and passing and creating?

i feel bad for him yea he has missed some but his goals over the years he scored have been crazy and his last couple games have been good minus last game where the whole team was shit

Cas87
07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Barrett couldn't strike with the Toronto and Windsor city-workers

mmmikey
07-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Sure take a shot at us who happen to be lactose intolerant.

lol... smug ice cream eaters! :(

FluSH
07-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Comeon now...

Chad Barrett scored one of the most crucial goals for the 6-1 trump over Montreal Impact... that alone is an automatic let's not bash on Barrett pass for the next 2 months..

Yohan
07-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Comeon now...

Chad Barrett scored one of the most crucial goals for the 6-1 trump over Montreal Impact... that alone is an automatic let's not bash on Barrett pass for the next 2 months..
not to mention his wonder strike vs Mtl May 13th. that IMO is one of best finishes in TFC history

and his crazy freekick goal vs Crapids last season from like 30 yrds out.

for someone who sucks, he sure does have a lot of memorable goals while wearing the Reds jersey

plus Torontonians have attention span of a goldfish :p

we get it. Chad Barrett misses a lot of chances. but instead of continually bashing him, how about focus on his positives?

bignickel
07-07-2009, 10:59 PM
not to mention his wonder strike vs Mtl May 13th. that IMO is one of best finishes in TFC history

for someone who sucks, he sure does have a lot of memorable goals while wearing the Reds jersey

we get it. Chad Barrett misses a lot of chances. but instead of continually bashing him, how about focus on his positives?

i was gonna list his positives but i cramped up from sweating too much trying to type!

Yohan
07-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Ali Bomaye! Ali Bomaye!

HMEWTtUlbPc

Love his awareness just to get his boot on the ball to score. Poacher instincts. Gotta love it

Shakes McQueen
07-08-2009, 07:09 AM

Thanks for saying this.

- Scott

Alarius
07-08-2009, 07:22 AM
So Gerba is now 5 Goals away from being the Canada's top goal scorer of all time.

Steve
07-08-2009, 07:29 AM
So Gerba is now 5 Goals away from being the Canada's top goal scorer of all time.

With like half the caps of most people on the top 10 list.

He just caught up to DeRo who has 52 caps (compared to Gerba's 25) and is only 4 away from Mitchell, who has 55 caps. Sorry, but 15 in 25 as an international is an insane strike rate. Get him and JDG here, and along with DeRo we'll see some magic.

Pachuco
07-08-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic about Gerba. He seems to finish his chances, however, doesn't create many for himself based on the past two games and the other times I've seen him play for Canada. It seems to be exactly what we need on this team. Let's hope he can finish with TFC.

As for Barrett? 3 memorable goals vs 1001 memorable misses and you ask why people bash him? :)

rocker
07-08-2009, 08:37 AM
I guess I'm at the point where I'll take poaching over creating a million chances but only finishing a few. TFC has never had a problem this season creating chances. Someone who will just finish the easy ones would be a welcome change. I don't need someone who's gonna score amazing goals.. just get the ones they should get.

Like Gerba, Dichio never creates his own chances but when he gets a good chance, he usually scores. That's what I expect from Gerba, and I hope he can do it. Not 100% sure how he'll look in MLS, but I'll wait and see. He's big and strong though, so MLS defenders may have serious problems with that physical side..

Technorgasm
07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Comeon now...

FACT.

He also scored leading up to the miracle.

grizzle
07-08-2009, 02:15 PM

Most of the goals I have seen him score look like he got lucky and happened to be in the right place at the right time. Why don't you look at all the goals he has choaked on?

Yohan
07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Most of the goals I have seen him score look like he got lucky and happened to be in the right place at the right time.
i think a lot of strikers's goals happen to be right place at the right time, so eh

Why don't you look at all the goals he has choaked on?
because people keep bashing Barrett on his one biggest critical fault, but does not really acknowledge Barrett's other good football skills

it's called giving credit where it's due

Oblio2
07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
I actually like Barrett on the wing and think if he could transition, he would be a pesky right mid/winger

maninb
07-08-2009, 02:31 PM
he's fast....he's jacked...he's (obviously) Canadian....i reckon he'll do well in MLS

um I beg to differ....gerba has below average speed, but he shields the ball exceptionally well and gets his shots off quicky...

Dirk Diggler
07-08-2009, 02:32 PM
To be honest, I had very little expectations of Gerba when he was initially linked with us. However, with his recent goal scoring form at the international level and his seeing all this talk about his ability to poach goals better than anyone on our roster, I am actually quite excited for his arrival.

grizzle
07-08-2009, 02:35 PM
i think a lot of strikers's goals happen to be right place at the right time, so eh

Yes, but some due it with grace and confidence that they know where the ball will go, not just swing and pray.

because people keep bashing Barrett on his one biggest critical fault, but does not really acknowledge Barrett's other good football skills

My problem with him is not his finishing, I just think he is an all-around bad player. You may be a fan of his, and I can not change that, but I can voice my opinion also and I don't think he deserves any credit.

Yohan
07-08-2009, 02:38 PM
My problem with him is not his finishing, I just think he is an all-around bad player. You may be a fan of his, and I can not change that, but I can voice my opinion also and I don't think he deserves any credit.
so whenever Chad Barrett makes a good play (and he's made quite a few of them this season), it's all luck?

you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but I think you're a bit too prejudiced and unfair on Chad Barrett

grizzle
07-08-2009, 02:43 PM
so whenever Chad Barrett makes a good play (and he's made quite a few of them this season), it's all luck?

His best play was his goal in MTL and even that looked like he just got on it. Regardless, I know I am gonna have to learn to live with him as he isn't going anywhere for a while, so I hope he starts proving me wrong.

Derko
07-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about Gerba. He seems to finish his chances, however, doesn't create many for himself based on the past two games and the other times I've seen him play for Canada. It seems to be exactly what we need on this team. Let's hope he can finish with TFC.

As for Barrett? 3 memorable goals vs 1001 memorable misses and you ask why people bash him? :)

I didn't know you actually counted 1001 misses.lol

You contradict yourself by saying that Gerba finishes but doesn't create for himself, and is the type of player TFC needs, no TFC needs a player that finishes and creates for himself, It's called being creative, a striker needs to be creative not just a finisher.IMO

Cheers:scarf: :drinking:

JonO
07-08-2009, 06:29 PM
His best play was his goal in MTL and even that looked like he just got on it. Regardless, I know I am gonna have to learn to live with him as he isn't going anywhere for a while, so I hope he starts proving me wrong.I actually preferred his little tap to Guevara for the sixth goal. I think Barrett gets a bit of an unfair rap on this board, but such is the joy of being a pro athlete.

As for Gerba, I am cautiously optimistic ;)

Get In There
07-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Chad's feet are more educated than Gerba's - Gerba just has this nack - can't explain - but last night's goal was a perfect example.

But yes, on the wing Chad is very impressive - just saddled with brain cramp when he has too much time.

I think CB will excel when he is not the point man

I'm excited for the final push

With JDG ..... drool

B

TFC Tifoso
07-08-2009, 06:31 PM

fair enough, but unfortunately for Barrett, as a striker, the job is to score goals...this is above and beyond anything else he does on the field. So as long as he is being packaged to us as a striker, he will be judged on his goal tally......may be unfair specifically regarding Chad, but it is what it is.

Some may make a similar argument for Vitti, but he has actually been positioned strictly as a midfielder for games this year, so he is not always a striker per se.

With all that said, I think Barrett can find a spot on this team playing between the mids and forwards as a link to the two, whith less pressure to score.

jloome
07-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I didn't know you actually counted 1001 misses.lol

You contradict yourself by saying that Gerba finishes but doesn't create for himself, and is the type of player TFC needs, no TFC needs a player that finishes and creates for himself, It's called being creative, a striker needs to be creative not just a finisher.IMO

Cheers:scarf: :drinking:

Oooookay. Some of the top scorers in the game of all time have been junkers.

jloome
07-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Chad's feet are more educated than Gerba's - Gerba just has this nack - can't explain - but last night's goal was a perfect example.

But yes, on the wing Chad is very impressive - just saddled with brain cramp when he has too much time.

I think CB will excel when he is not the point man

I'm excited for the final push

With JDG ..... drool

B

I used to think that was a deficit on Gerba but it's made up for by his positioning and his ability to hang on a defender's shoulder and turn him for through balls. Don't need to dance around if you can position well as a striker.

Get In There
07-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I used to think that was a deficit on Gerba but it's made up for by his positioning and his ability to hang on a defender's shoulder and turn him for through balls. Don't need to dance around if you can position well as a striker.

Yup, I'll go with that - it's the sum of the parts

For me, I have an issue with CB's anger. He tries to make up for his faults by being pissed off all the time at the refs and linesmen - immature.

Gerba has more Zen in his game and I like that

B