PDA

View Full Version : Pre-match: 11 July Toronto FC at San Jose Earthquakes

Yohan
07-07-2009, 02:25 PM
This is 3 pts that we really need if we are to make the playoffs

SJ did manage to draw vs Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto last year, leading most of the game only to draw on an SJ own goal.

Bad news is that Garcia has a slight groin pull, and Guevara haven't been able to return yet due to political unrest in Honduras.

Look for the Quacks to play very defensively and hit on the counter.

I'm hoping for a win, but I think a 1-1 draw is more likely

TFC_Junky
07-07-2009, 02:29 PM
1-1 draw?! REALLY? more like a 3-1 win!
This should be an easy win for the boys after a nice stretch off.

Yohan
07-07-2009, 02:34 PM
1-1 draw?! REALLY? more like a 3-1 win!
This should be an easy win for the boys after a nice stretch off.
There is no such thing as an easy win in MLS, especially on the road (unless you're playing the Shite Bulls lol)

TFC_Junky
07-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Okay Yohan, I'll give you that one! LOL I still think this is a winnable game and if we don't come out with the 3pts I'll be dissapointed!

djking2
07-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Looks like Huckerby will be available for selection for only the 8th time this year. His fitness must be suspect if he gets in.

CoachGT
07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I expect Wynne is back, which may ease things a bit for Garcia. They should be able to come out hard, as they did against RSL, but hopefully we get the opening goal this time. If so, 2-0 or 3-1 result.

Darlofletch
07-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Guevara's stuck in Honduras?

I get that when he's got an extended break he wants to go home for a few days, but hadn't all the problems there already started before he went?

Maybe not the world's best decision.

Yohan
07-07-2009, 02:54 PM
prediction on formation

-----------Frei
Wynne-Garcia-Serioux-Brennan
-----Robbo
-----------Guevara
-Barrett-DeRosario-Vitti
--------Dichio

Subs
Edwards
Attakora
Gomez
Velez
Gala
Ibrahim
White (sitting on bench, but not make appearance)

Man. Our roster is so paper thin, esp for attacking options.

Gala might actually get mins!

Yohan
07-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Key SJ players to look out for

-Darren Huckerby (F/LW)
Probably SJ's best attacking threat. Possess good pace and ability to finish. Has serious injury problems, so far not been his best this season, and is carrying a knock going into this match, but when he's on the field, a Huckerby breakaway is only a blink away. Most effecting playing as wide left winger, slashing in from left side.

-Ryan Johnson (F)
The Jamaican international is a bit inconsistent, but has ability to finish, scoring 6 goals so far this season

-Bobby Convey (LW)
Ex Reading winger is only 25 and has a lot of upside to his game. So far not been effective due to being asked to play in unfamiliar AM role, and Huckerby having a lock in LW position. He will bring a lot of quality from the bench though

-Arturo Alvarez (RW)
The man who dispossessed Ronnie O'Brien from RW position. So far has repaid SJ management with 5 goals in this season. Scored against Real Salt Lake last game. A bit tricky to defend against, because I believe he is naturally a left footed player in RW spot. Has ability to dribble, and make unexpected slash into centre of the pitch to create chances

-Joe Cannon (GK)
One of the top GK in MLS, despite not having best of season so far. Led MLS in saves last season, and instrumental in SJ having 3rd best GA in MLS in 2008 season. Superb natural reflexes and reads the game well. When he's on, it's hard to put anything past him.

rocker
07-07-2009, 03:23 PM
ya road games are tough. the good thing is this team is rested after the busy stretch.. and San Jose isn't exactly hot at home. I worry about Huckerby tho.. they are a completely different (better) team with him in the lineup.

maybe Garcia can give Cummins the inside scoop on San jose :)

Yohan
07-07-2009, 03:27 PM
ya road games are tough. the good thing is this team is rested after the busy stretch.. and San Jose isn't exactly hot at home. I worry about Huckerby tho.. they are a completely different (better) team with him in the lineup.

maybe Garcia can give Cummins the inside scoop on San jose :)
i'm also worried about our relatively lack of pace in back. so i'm kiinda glad to see Wynne back, although Huckerby has ball skills to run rings around Wynne (but Wynne will just hustle back to tackle after lol)

Alvarez might undress Brennan a few times too...

calitfcfan
07-07-2009, 08:51 PM
anyone going to the match? There'll be a contingent in section F at Buck Shaw.

Brooker
07-08-2009, 11:47 AM
^^^ tell huckerby to suck a giant cock

Carts
07-08-2009, 11:52 AM

I get that when he's got an extended break he wants to go home for a few days, but hadn't all the problems there already started before he went?

MLSE needs to pull off a snatch-&-grab of Guevara like Batman did in the 'Dark Knight' movie to get that guy out of Hong Kong...

If they can afford to give Francois Beauchemin a bucket of cash, they can afford to pay some Carribean smugglers to get Guevara out of there :D

Ok, back to reality... :rolleyes:
Carts...

RedsYNWA
07-08-2009, 02:52 PM
We need points in this one BIG TIME our schedule is not getting any better

ecospice
07-08-2009, 03:26 PM

He probably went home to make sure his family was ok. Can't really fault him for that...especially after he stuck with TFC instead of playing for Honduras in the Gold Cup.

:scarf:

SoccMan
07-08-2009, 07:33 PM
They better come to play and put a little more effort on the road. The last two road games versus Houston and Real Salt Lake were disgracefull. If they don't step up for this game they will suffer the same fate as they did in Houston and in Salt Lake it will be just as ugly and the playoffs will get further and further away.

Yohan
07-09-2009, 04:17 PM
A bit more happy that Guevara is back, but I'm still worried about SJ's pace up front.

midfield battle will be the key again, and keep ball away from SJ's wingers.

Curious to see what Cummins will do for lineup. Got this weird feeling that Ibby might start on one of the flanks. He might play 4-4-2 also, with Vitti and Dichio up front, and Barrett coming off the bench

plus TFC has not been able to win against SJ so far. both games last year sucked

Kaz
07-09-2009, 04:40 PM
---------------------Frei-------------------------
Wynne ---- Velez ---- Serioux ---- Brennen
----------Attakora ------------Robbo-----------
---------------------Dero------------------------
-------Barrett -----Dichio------Vitti------------

They seemed to be letting Nana move up forward, and his strength seems to suggest it as possible... and assuming guevera and garcia miss, which is looking less likely

Yohan
07-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Velez over Garcia?

Kaz
07-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Velez over Garcia?
only if Garcia can't start, I was under the impression that Garcia and Guevera were at risk of not starting. (or playing at all)

So only if those two aren't playing, I'd rathers a donkey in a jersey of velez, but we don't have one.

Yohan
07-09-2009, 05:12 PM
only if Garcia can't start, I was under the impression that Garcia and Guevera were at risk of not starting. (or playing at all)

So only if those two aren't playing, I'd rathers a donkey in a jersey of velez, but we don't have one.
Guevara is back, and Garcia looks probably for Sat

Kaz
07-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Guevara is back, and Garcia looks probably for Sat
That's what I get for being at work all day.. Missed that...
Can we still have the donkey, I think that would be entertaining. and this game might need it.

FluSH
07-09-2009, 08:25 PM
We need these 3points... badly! also I am pretty sure you meant last game.. not last year:

SJ did manage to draw vs Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto last year, leading most of the game only to draw on an SJ own goal.

RSL was lucky to tie that game...

Yohan
07-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Projected SJ lineup (from some dude at BigSoccer who claims to heard from Yallop)

---------Johnson------Campos---------

Huckerby-----Elliot---McDonald-----Alvarez

Zaher----Hernandez----Pitchkolan----Leitch

--------------Cannon-----------------

FluSH
07-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Huckerby... it would be interesting to see how he plays...

Yohan
07-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Huckerby... it would be interesting to see how he plays...
i foresee him undressing Wynne multiple times unfortunately :(

Bars92
07-10-2009, 06:17 PM
BIGGEST AWAY MATCH IN OUR HISTORY!! :scarf:

Dunkers
07-10-2009, 06:33 PM
^

Serious? I would have guessed the Miracle in Montreal takes the cake

Bars92
07-10-2009, 08:47 PM
^

Serious? I would have guessed the Miracle in Montreal takes the cake

I place more importance on MLS. Lets win that first and worry about international sucess later. I know its nice to hammer Montreal and all.

FluSH
07-10-2009, 09:11 PM
unfortunately the the title of this thread does not include JDG... You would think we would be talking more about our game tomorrow than one high priced player...

AdamZ
07-10-2009, 09:54 PM
unfortunately the the title of this thread does not include JDG... You would think we would be talking more about our game tomorrow than one high priced player...

Don't think there's all that much to talk about. White might be making his debut- that's exciting. Other than that not much room for discussion: we have to go to San Jose and take three points from a fairly weak team which is still capable of surprise performances and results. That's about it. I'm sure there will be plenty of posts during and after tomorrow's match.

FluSH
07-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Don't think there's all that much to talk about. White might be making his debut- that's exciting. Other than that not much room for discussion: we have to go to San Jose and take three points from a fairly weak team which is still capable of surprise performances and results. That's about it. I'm sure there will be plenty of posts during and after tomorrow's match.

This is not the first pre-match thread we've ever had... we used to talk about possible lineups... strategy... and injuries and what not... heck OBW and Wynne alone gives us something to talk about... and the obvious Vitti and Barrett story...

I recommend you look at the previous match threads we've had since 2007...`

Brooker
07-11-2009, 01:45 PM
think Dichio will get the start?

I know he said his body felt terrible in Salt Lake but that was 2 weeks ago.

people saying OBW could get subbed into the game late but Chris Cummins saying on TFC TV he's still a couple weeks away.... hmmm?

heres hoping for no Huckerby :D

Darlofletch
07-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm interested to see how serioux looks. Was the break long enough for him to shake off whatever injury he was fighting through?

I'd love to see him get back to his form of the first few games of the season.

Darlofletch
07-11-2009, 02:01 PM
prediction on formation

-----------Frei
Wynne-Garcia-Serioux-Brennan
-----Robbo
-----------Guevara
-Barrett-DeRosario-Vitti
--------Dichio

Subs
Edwards
Attakora
Gomez
Velez
Gala
Ibrahim
White (sitting on bench, but not make appearance)

Man. Our roster is so paper thin, esp for attacking options.

Gala might actually get mins!

I'd prefer 2 defensive midfielders. I myself know bugger all about san jose, but from what's been said here they have 2 very good wingers, so Wynne and Brennan are going to need all the help they can get.

------------Frei----------------
Wynne, Garcia, Attakora, Brennan
-------Serioux----Robbo--------
-----------Guevara--------------
Vitti-------Dichio------De rosario--

Haven't ever seen Serioux play dm, but that used to be his position so he should be ok. I'd think he'd be a very good alternative to robbo if necessary, not sure about replacing cronin, him and robbo are probably a bit too similar, but thin squad, beggars and choosers and all that.

I'd go with Vitti up front, he was one of the few people that looked ok against rsl.

Nuvinho
07-11-2009, 02:58 PM
^ Interesting.....Serioux back in his natural position as a CDM. That lineup looks pretty good.

FluSH
07-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm interested to see how serioux looks. Was the break long enough for him to shake off whatever injury he was fighting through?

I'd love to see him get back to his form of the first few games of the season.

I think Serioux should have been on the bench long ago nursing his pain and injuries... it's nice that he is showing heart by playing through his pain, but it's evident it's affecting his play.

Yohan
07-11-2009, 05:38 PM
hopefully with 2 weeks off, the Predator is ready and he's going to rip off Johnson's head :D

DOMIN8R
07-11-2009, 06:29 PM
-----------Frei-------------
Wynne-Atakora--Garcia-Brennan
-----Agent Zero--Robbo-----
-----------Guevara-----------
--Vitti--------------DeRosario--
-----------Dichio------------

Chad or OB One sub for DD and Amado.

Inswingingwingman
07-11-2009, 07:40 PM
2 hours to game time. Anyone really know how good the opposition is. At my age, waiting around for a 10:30 start is tough. Normally I have a few and head to bed by 11.

And who wants to stay up and lose sleep only to have the blood pressure go up and stroke out. Screw it, I can take an extra bp pill....

Yohan
07-11-2009, 07:46 PM
2 hours to game time. Anyone really know how good the opposition is. At my age, waiting around for a 10:30 start is tough. Normally I have a few and head to bed by 11.

And who wants to stay up and lose sleep only to have the blood pressure go up and stroke out. Screw it, I can take an extra bp pill....
well, technically, SJ is the 2nd worst team in MLS right now...

Super
07-11-2009, 07:50 PM

This is a MUST WIN and certainly a very possible win as well. San Jose is dead last in the Western Standing, and is second worst (at 13 pts) in the entire MLS only to New York (10 pts.) They have 3 wins, 8 losses and 4 draws. However, if you look at the details of these statistics, you'll find that they have 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses at home - not very poor indeed considering their current standing. It's the away form that has failed them with 0 wins, 2 draws and 6 losses.

If we can't win this game tonight we'll be in trouble.

Not much faith in San Jose by its own supporters:
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088886

Hope we win, and that you don't stroke out ;)

prizby
07-11-2009, 08:13 PM
just some quotes from there fans

Toronto is exactly the kind of team we need to crush on the way to the playoffs.

We are better than them right now and they are currently occupying a spot we need

LMAO

Redpunkfiddle
07-11-2009, 08:24 PM
This is a MUST WIN and certainly a very possible win as well. San Jose is dead last in the Western Standing, and is second worst (at 13 pts) in the entire MLS only to New York (10 pts.) They have 3 wins, 8 losses and 4 draws. However, if you look at the details of these statistics, you'll find that they have 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses at home - not very poor indeed considering their current standing. It's the away form that has failed them with 0 wins, 2 draws and 6 losses.

If we can't win this game tonight we'll be in trouble.

Not much faith in San Jose by its own supporters:
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088886

Hope we win, and that you don't stroke out ;)

Well if you call it a MUST WIN then you're increasing the chances of a stroke. Its a very desireable and doable away win, but remember this is a league where we went 2 months without a win last year and missed the playoffs by 4-5 points.

I hope we win too but where I come from a must win means if you lose you are pooched..

grizzle
07-11-2009, 08:30 PM
I think this will be a close game but I am thinking TFC 1-0

Super
07-11-2009, 08:33 PM
A must win is a must win. We have to collect our points one way or another, and with all the away games left go this season we'll be hard pressed to collect enough points if we can't beat San Jose. I'm not saying the game is over if we don't win tonight, but I certainly will be worried of what's to come if we can't pull our troops together and roll over this second-to-last team.

Razcle
07-11-2009, 08:42 PM
any word on streams for this game? Up at the cottage I have access to no cable tv

Yohan
07-11-2009, 08:45 PM
any word on streams for this game? Up at the cottage I have access to no cable tv
http://atdhe.net/watch-major-league-soccer.php?i=781038&t=San%20Jose%20Earthquakes%20vs%20Toronto%20FC

AdamZ
07-11-2009, 08:52 PM
This is not the first pre-match thread we've ever had... we used to talk about possible lineups... strategy... and injuries and what not... heck OBW and Wynne alone gives us something to talk about... and the obvious Vitti and Barrett story...

I recommend you look at the previous match threads we've had since 2007...`

dude, I've read every one of those this season, I just don't think there's really much to speculate about here. Cummins seems to be sticking with a general lineup and similar tactics for most games recently.

Razcle
07-11-2009, 09:04 PM
http://atdhe.net/watch-major-league-soccer.php?i=781038&t=San%20Jose%20Earthquakes%20vs%20Toronto%20FC

Thanks Yohan....enjoy the match...ps I hope your wrong. Looking for a TFC victory!!

Nuvinho
07-11-2009, 09:10 PM
end this Blue Jay game......just score a run. The way this game is going, its gonna run over into the TFC game.

James17930
07-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Whatever we do I really don't want to see 3 at the back. I still don't quite trust that system.

Want to go back to the 4-3-3. It would be nice to see Dichio in the middle between De Ro and Barrett, and then have either Vitti or OBW coming off the bench in the 2nd half.

And then pretty soon it'll be Gerba instead of Barrett/Vitti!! :D

RedsYNWA
07-11-2009, 09:14 PM
We need points here people our schedule is not so friendly for the next couple of games....I mean Real Madrid is going to be tough ;)

Pigfynn
07-11-2009, 09:17 PM
This Jays game IS going to run long...will it really effect the match on tele?

James17930
07-11-2009, 09:17 PM
-----------Frei-------------
Wynne-Atakora--Garcia-Brennan
-----Agent Zero--Robbo-----
-----------Guevara-----------
--Vitti--------------DeRosario--
-----------Dichio------------

Chad or OB One sub for DD and Amado.

Oh yeah - forgot that Cronin is gone.

What will probably happen then is Nana or Wynne will move into Cronin's spot -- probably Wynne, actually, leave Nana at right-back.

Actually -- if that's the case they may line up a straight 4-4-2.

Nuvinho
07-11-2009, 09:18 PM

probably :(

pekduck
07-11-2009, 09:24 PM
come on baltimore, hit a home run and end the frigging baseball game...

pekduck
07-11-2009, 09:24 PM
damn it, double play.. starting of 12th inning... son of a b..

rocker
07-11-2009, 09:25 PM
fucking 12 inning.

this is one reason I got disinterested in baseball. the games can go on for fucking ever.

Nuvinho
07-11-2009, 09:26 PM
at least put one or two of the 4 sportsnet channels showing the game.

Kevvv
07-11-2009, 09:27 PM

The announcer said we'd see the game 'in its entirety' - so they will be showing it tape-delayed.

[NBF]
07-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Damn those Jays!

Right now i just care that someone scores and gameover. c'mon baltimore!

...on another note.

It's funny how the Jays, Raptors, and TFC have the same problem that noone wants to play in Toronto. Jays are constantly trying to add good players to their roster but the only good ones they can get are the ones with experience and injuries woes. Raptors go after international players because the americans dont like playing in Toronto, and TFC is begging to have more international spots because they dont have enough Canadian players. At some point and I'm sure it will be an all american domestic players league in MLS in Canada.

Pigfynn
07-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Fuck this bush league coverage! they have 4 channels for fucks sakes.

pekduck
07-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Go Orioles! Hurry up and finish the damn baseball nonsense!

RedsYNWA
07-11-2009, 09:35 PM
OMG I'm ready to trow my beer at the screen FUCK BASEBALL and their 160 game season I mean FFS

Kevvv
07-11-2009, 09:35 PM

Anyone else having trouble with this? Looks like a flikr slide show - video is useless

RedsYNWA
07-11-2009, 09:36 PM
5 minutes in 0-0

Moe911
07-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Ugh...baseball game just killed it for me. Off to watch ufc since this game is going to take forever.