PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rico Islanders....

FluSH
07-07-2009, 06:04 AM
Where can I get some recent news? Is anyone injured? I keep checking their site but all I see is Marco Velez:

http://www.puertoricoislandersfc.com/

Any input from the Islanders on the board? USL website has some recent video but it looks like I need to pay.

MartinUtd
07-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Found a blog

http://islanders.theoffside.com/

SilverSamurai
07-07-2009, 08:29 AM
HAHA! They have pics of Velez in his TFC KIT!!!
Wow... that's sad...
Almost as bad as the CSA and their updating skillz. lol

MartinUtd
07-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Not really. If you had a player returning as an adversary for a champions league match, wouldn't you advertise that fact? I bet Velez will be a big draw down there with him being on the National team and all.

I wonder if he'll see minutes.

FluSH
07-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Not really. If you had a player returning as an adversary for a champions league match, wouldn't you advertise that fact? I bet Velez will be a big draw down there with him being on the National team and all.

I hope Velez sees some minutes... it would be nice to see that. However, we have a game to play and win at all costs... and if he is not part of the strategy then so be it.

Carefree
07-07-2009, 11:52 AM
On Sunday July 19 at 3:30pm, the Islanders will play the LimpAct in Montreal. The game will be televised on Radio-Canada. Good chance to see what they look like in a league game.

SilverSamurai
07-07-2009, 12:52 PM

So should TFC do the same whenever Cunny returns? lol

They don't even mention Velez, thats what I"m getting at.
Anyways. Must win game.

Intru
07-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Velez is the nat captain so yeah its a big deal when he comes back to town. We had injuries they are already good to got they be back by the end of the month their playing in a local pro team to get back to game form. But they are all bench player so its not a big deal know the guys out for the gold cup does we need back lol

FluSH
07-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Velez is the nat captain so yeah its a big deal when he comes back to town. We had injuries they are already good to got they be back by the end of the month their playing in a local pro team to get back to game form. But they are all bench player so its not a big deal know the guys out for the gold cup does we need back lol

That's right... you guys have Internationals in the Gold Cup... I'll be watching the July 19th game vs LimpAct

SilverSamurai
07-07-2009, 03:14 PM
That's right... you guys have Internationals in the Gold Cup... I'll be watching the July 19th game vs LimpAct
PR? Internationals? Must be the same situation as Guadeloupe. Like a country, that's not really a country?
Man just thinking about this is making my head spin...

And yes, I know the history of PR and it's "special" situation w/ the US since it's independence from Spain as a colony...

zeelaw
07-07-2009, 03:18 PM
HAHA! They have pics of Velez in his TFC KIT!!!
Wow... that's sad...
Almost as bad as the CSA and their updating skillz. lol
They are advertising our match against them. Why not use a former player?

SilverSamurai
07-07-2009, 03:20 PM
They are advertising our match against them. Why not use a former player?
Should we use Cunny? or Boyens? Or Esky? I know Buddle since he plays w/ Landycakes and Beckham!

In any case, this game isn't the Velez Show... it's going to be about TFC making it to the next leg of the Champions League. :scarf::flare:

MartinUtd
07-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Does Cunny, Boynes or Esky play for the Canadian National Team?

I recall hearing of DeRo's big home coming when he played for Houston.

It's a pretty straight forward connection.

zeelaw
07-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Should we use Cunny? or Boyens? Or Esky? I know Buddle since he plays w/ Landycakes and Beckham!

In any case, this game isn't the Velez Show... it's going to be about TFC making it to the next leg of the Champions League. :scarf::flare:

lol that argumenet makes no sense

Intru
07-07-2009, 07:40 PM
PR? Internationals? Must be the same situation as Guadeloupe. Like a country, that's not really a country?
Man just thinking about this is making my head spin...

And yes, I know the history of PR and it's "special" situation w/ the US since it's independence from Spain as a colony...

We have players out with Jamaica and Haiti. But they will be back by July 11.

O and we dint gain independace from nobody we went from being a province of Spain to being a colony AGAIN!

FluSH
07-07-2009, 11:35 PM
We have players out with Jamaica and Haiti. But they will be back by July 11.

O and we dint gain independace from nobody we went from being a province of Spain to being a colony AGAIN!

LOL at least you upgraded! :D

Intru
07-08-2009, 12:15 AM
LOL at least you upgraded! :D

I'm not sure about that a Province of Spain is a state and Spain is in the EU that would have been kick ass. Been a colony of the us sucks as bad as what I imagen the colony year under spain where I hope it dosnt take another 400 to change that this time. Wll 100 down 300 to go :picard:

Flashman
07-08-2009, 08:52 AM
The Fox Sports World Canada USL game of the week on Friday, 10 July has Puerto Rico Islanders at Rochester Rhinos at 8pm Eastern.

Good chance to catch them away from Juan Ramon Loubriel Stadium.

SilverSamurai
07-08-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure about that a Province of Spain is a state and Spain is in the EU that would have been kick ass. Been a colony of the us sucks as bad as what I imagen the colony year under spain where I hope it dosnt take another 400 to change that this time. Wll 100 down 300 to go :picard:
Hopefully it's not another 400years for your sake, but like you said, 100 down...

Redpunkfiddle
07-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Also check Sunday July 19th, 3:45pm on Radio-Canada - Islanders at Montreal Impact.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Stoked about this CL clash!!! BMO will be rocking...by far our biggest home game to date!

felipe
07-10-2009, 09:41 AM
They are on again tonight on foxsports..good time to scout the enemy again

I mean again, as in July 10, tonight, like you said above

DOMIN8R
07-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Fabrice Noel and James Marcelin both from the Puerto Rico Islanders scored the two Haiti goals in a 2-0 win over Grenada yesterday.

TFC Via Buffalo
07-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm very tempted to go to this game. It's about an hour drive to Rochester and I get out of work at 7. Hmmm.......... Maybe I should have Cummins pick me up from work. Then he can fly me out and take me to the SJ game tomorrow.

Intru
07-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Fucking hate nat teams play during mid season we always loose so many player! Thank god T&T are not playing or PR. They be back for the CCL games do.

C.Ronaldo
07-10-2009, 12:25 PM
at least they havn't killed your culture like they are doing in Hawaii

Detroit_TFC
07-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm watching the Rochester v Islanders game, PR looks good.

Kevin
07-10-2009, 08:05 PM
PR is pretty dangerous. Of course I've only seen them play in other USL games.

Detroit_TFC
07-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Wow, all hell broke loose there. Both Rhinos coach and player-asst coach red carded. Rhino players are running the side. Very chippy second half.

Redpunkfiddle
07-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Check out Radio-Canada starting at 15:30H today(that's 3:30pm translated) for Puerto Rico at Montreal Impact for some previews and scouting.

Shakes McQueen
07-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Puerto Rico Islanders are playing Montreal Impact starting right now, on SRC (French CBC).

For Rogers customers, it's on Channel 12 for standard def. Channel 514 if you have HD.

Good chance to watch them play.

- Scott

EENIE MAN
07-19-2009, 02:39 PM
just checked USL Live.
says its free in 5 min. (3:45)

Yohan
07-19-2009, 02:41 PM
http://atdhe.net/watch-united-soccer-league.php?i=1

also on www.usllive.com

Super
07-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Watching the game right now. Very interested to see how Puerto Rico will play this one. Should be able to take some good notes out of the game at least.

Yohan
07-19-2009, 02:55 PM
looks like Braz and Djekanovic are playing

Yohan
07-19-2009, 03:02 PM
haha. Placentino sucks

Super
07-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Is Braz ever going to get in proper shape? He always looks fat to me.

Yohan
07-19-2009, 03:13 PM
lol. Djekanovic replacing Matt Jordan as Mtl #1. crazy world

Yohan
07-19-2009, 03:15 PM
interesting. live feed + radio commentary

i guess only way to get an english commentary.

no crowd noise kinda takes out the fun

Yohan
07-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Bordeaux and Guincamp at Mtl for Ligue 1 game.

interesting.

Mtl pwning PR pretty much so far. PR barely gets sniff of the ball

Yohan
07-19-2009, 03:36 PM
PRI 1-0 Mtl

Braz commits a terrible foul and gives up a penalty. Sounds familiar, eh?

EENIE MAN
07-19-2009, 03:38 PM
the grass looks amazing.

EENIE MAN
07-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Braz is a tard. so glad we got rid of him.

MrHawk
07-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Game is also on Ch.10 (That French channel)

FluSH
07-19-2009, 04:17 PM
http://atdhe.net/watch-united-soccer-league.php?i=1

also on www.usllive.com (http://www.usllive.com)

excellent.. I just tuned in... how much left in the 2nd half?

Yohan
07-19-2009, 04:58 PM
haha. Montreal sucks

my opinion of PR didn't change much. although PR showed that they do have a bit of ability to keep possession and pass the ball, they really didn't threaten montreal that much. toronto's midfield is going to be too much for them to handle I think
PR is a well organized team, but nothing that TFC shouldn't be able to break down

FluSH
07-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Interesting... Jadeosingh looks like he could be trouble if given space... he doesn't have a good control with the ball... but long strides enough to go over a defender.

Their keeper also seems good... more often than not he left his 'home' posts to gather a ball... that's pretty confident.

Yohan
07-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Interesting... Jadeosingh looks like he could be trouble if given space... he doesn't have a good control with the ball... but long strides enough to go over a defender.
i predict a long ball game from PR, because they'll find it too hard to try to go through Robbo and Cronin at midfield. and use pace and a bit of unpredictability to try to stretch our slow defensive line

Bobo
07-19-2009, 05:16 PM
That much more excited for the 29th, cause we seem to stand a pretty good chance. :)

Pyeddo
07-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Interesting... Jadeosingh looks like he could be trouble if given space...

Took the words right out of my mouth

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Besides the 3000 or so hardcore followers of TFC....do the other 17 000 TFC fans who fill BMO field on a weekly basis....KNOW THAT THIS GAME VS THE ISLANDERS is the BIGGEST GAME IN TFC SHORT HISTORY!???

Im gona say probally not...what do you guys think.....will this be a night to remember on an atmosphere point of view...or just another game to the fans outside the HARCORES??

For my self ive i dont care if the others just treat it as a regular match or dont even show up......but i hope that SUPPORTER GROUPS BRING IT LIKE WE HAVE NEVER DONE BEFORE!!!

CANT F'IN WAIT!!!

kodiakTFC
07-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Besides the 3000 or so hardcore followers of TFC....do the other 17 000 TFC fans who fill BMO field on a weekly basis....KNOW THAT THIS GAME VS THE ISLANDERS is the BIGGEST GAME IN TFC SHORT HISTORY!???

Im gona say probally not...what do you guys think.....will this be a night to remember on an atmosphere point of view...or just another game to the fans outside the HARCORES??

For my self ive i dont care if the others just treat it as a regular match or dont even show up......but i hope that SUPPORTER GROUPS BRING IT LIKE WE HAVE NEVER DONE BEFORE!!!

CANT F'IN WAIT!!!

AHHHH! I can't wait! I am so damn excited!

PJC
07-23-2009, 01:50 PM

CANT F'IN WAIT!!!

This is the biggest game in TFC's short history. A lot of fans will look at the game on the 29th as just an ordinary game, but this match means something for TFC. TFC is battling Puerto Rico Islanders in the CONCACAF Champions League Preliminary round, which is huge. TFC needs to get past the Islanders to get into the group stage. I am looking very forward to this game and I hope a lot of fans are too. I hope to hear more noise on the 29th!

Intru
07-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Here ya guys go they started the sale of tickets online, pas it on. So ya know the palco tickets are only a couple of sections cause they sale does to sponsors and vip first and its only consider palco section on the sections parallel to the field and after the curve its considered general admissions but behind the goal is where our supporters seat.

Ticketpop (English) (http://www.ticketpop.com/moreinfo.aspx?x=kkOMx2CTlXS%2fmIs0lstNBnYG9XDqkz%2 fUoJ0Z2BIS3JhpvojE9%2fiAEQb8%2bcDjDfn8EE1Pa4jB1zU% 3d)

Redpunkfiddle
07-23-2009, 02:34 PM
This is the biggest game in TFC's short history. A lot of fans will look at the game on the 29th as just an ordinary game, but this match means something for TFC. TFC is battling Puerto Rico Islanders in the CONCACAF Champions League Preliminary round, which is huge. TFC needs to get past the Islanders to get into the group stage. I am looking very forward to this game and I hope a lot of fans are too. I hope to hear more noise on the 29th!

You know, I understand where you are coming from about the importance of the game, but we're actually in new territory. Its a home and away round so no matter what happens on the 29th we have to get the job done in Puerto Rico too.

I also think BMO should rock like it hasn't before next Wednesday, but because I am excited about the dynamics of an aggregate series, away goals- I prefer to say its the most important TWO games in TFC history.:D

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-23-2009, 02:47 PM
You know, I understand where you are coming from about the importance of the game, but we're actually in new territory. Its a home and away round so no matter what happens on the 29th we have to get the job done in Puerto Rico too.

I also think BMO should rock like it hasn't before next Wednesday, but because I am excited about the dynamics of an aggregate series, away goals- I prefer to say its the most important TWO games in TFC history.:D

I havnt been down in the Toronto area in awile.....but i would assume this match is being advertised all over TORONTO BILLBOARDS???RIGHT ??:rolleyes:
LETTING THE CITY OF TO KNOW that there team is in the biggest game to date!:drinking:

Surely the great marketing team of MLSE is on board here? :)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Here ya guys go they started the sale of tickets online, pas it on. So ya know the palco tickets are only a couple of sections cause they sale does to sponsors and vip first and its only consider palco section on the sections parallel to the field and after the curve its considered general admissions but behind the goal is where our supporters seat.

Ticketpop (English) (http://www.ticketpop.com/moreinfo.aspx?x=kkOMx2CTlXS%2fmIs0lstNBnYG9XDqkz%2 fUoJ0Z2BIS3JhpvojE9%2fiAEQb8%2bcDjDfn8EE1Pa4jB1zU% 3d)

Whats the scoop on your end in Puerto Rico.....how is the build up? is everyone extied down there for this next challenge??

Dunkers
07-23-2009, 03:14 PM
The Islanders are playing the Whitecaps on Saturday, the game is on Shaw in Van City...maybe usllive is picking it up..

nascarguy
07-23-2009, 06:30 PM
10:00 PMEThttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h9hhsY9crXk/SYIIp0CXyrI/AAAAAAAAAAk/-XGRau5_u-I/s320/football.gifUSL: Puerto Rico Islanders vs Portland Timbers (http://atdhe.net/8199/watch-usl-puerto-rico-islanders-vs-portland-timbers)

Dunkers
07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Wow, PR plays Thursday, Saturday and Wednessday?

OUCH!

FluSH
07-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Wow, PR plays Thursday, Saturday and Wednessday?

OUCH!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

nascarguy
07-23-2009, 08:24 PM
I havnt been down in the Toronto area in awile.....but i would assume this match is being advertised all over TORONTO BILLBOARDS???RIGHT ??:rolleyes:
LETTING THE CITY OF TO KNOW that there team is in the biggest game to date!:drinking:

Surely the great marketing team of MLSE is on board here? :)
nope i have not seen any

SilverSamurai
07-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Anyone in 118? LIke in rows 14-18? I'll be somewhere there on Wed...

FluSH
07-23-2009, 09:04 PM
who's the MILF singing the anthem?

RedRum
07-23-2009, 09:07 PM
who's the MILF singing the anthem?

Is your picture quality really that bad? :D

FluSH
07-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Are You 4 Real!!!!!!! The Man with the Golden Heart.... 0017!!!!

FluSH
07-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Portland Timber Supporters put us ALL TO SHAME That was probably one of the best co-ordinated TIFO's Ive seen in North America

RedRum
07-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Amazing support, as usual.

Jay P
07-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Portlands been doing it years before us.... We can learn a lot from them! Did anyone see their tifo vs Seattle? Epic!

FluSH
07-23-2009, 09:12 PM
That was close.... I sense Frei will have pressure during the game...

FluSH
07-23-2009, 09:16 PM
WATCHOUT for HENRY!!!
6ft 4 defender? He could've had that header...

Whoop
07-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Portland Timber Supporters put us ALL TO SHAME That was probably one of the best co-ordinated TIFO's Ive seen in North America

What did they do?

RedRum
07-23-2009, 09:24 PM
What did they do?

AucOzX9qqRA

FluSH
07-23-2009, 09:25 PM
What did they do?

In order of sequence:

They had at least a 40ft long banner at the front that said:

1. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN HEART

2. Then from the Top held up high came down a large banner to the front of the stands of a James Bond picture with the face of one of their players holding a silencer gun and the 007 logo with the number 0017 instead.

3. Hundreds of them then lifted cards with the number 17

4. Another letter banner was lifted although I couldn't make out what it said (as I was flipping back and forth with this site)

Very well organized and laid out... not sure what the occasion was but as a player you have to be flattered with such support it was really good.

FluSH
07-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Commentator just announced a 4-1 vote in favour of financing the MLS bid for Portland... Apperantely the Portland Mayor is getting cheers in their stadium..

FluSH
07-23-2009, 09:51 PM
INJURY!!! please muhahahaha

Intru
07-23-2009, 11:16 PM
We have a deeper team than mls, its probable that not much of the player that played today will play in Van.

DichioTFC
07-24-2009, 09:16 AM
:topic:

found this on goal.com, a little lengthy but definitely worth the read.
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/145/goalcom-features/2009/03/09/1147036/comment-islanders-ccl-run-is-no-accident

Comment: Islanders CCL Run Is No Accident

The run of the Puerto Rico Islanders into the CONCACAF Champions League semifinals may have seemed unlikely, but Goal.com’s Allen Ramsey says that it is no accident.

Mar 9, 2009 3:29:40 PM

http://i.media.goal.com/g/44662_news.jpg
By Allen Ramsey

Back when the CONCACAF Champions League group stage began, if a soccer fan had been told that three of the four teams in the semifinals of the competition would hail from Mexico, he would’ve shrugged. Of course, the Mexican clubs would dominate the continent.

If that same fan had then been told that the fourth semifinalist would be the United Soccer League’s Puerto Rico Islanders, he probably would’ve choked on the lime in his Corona.

And yet here the Islanders are, preparing for a CCL semifinal tie against one of the region’s traditional powers, Cruz Azul. Just five years after the club’s founding, they are on the brink of glory.

There is really no rhyme or reason for the team’s success in the CCL. The roster is full of names that most fans would not know, like Noah Delgado and Sandi Gbandi. The players hail from ten different countries and for the most part came to play for the Islanders through unconventional means. The roster includes several MLS castoffs, a few Puerto Rican nationals, second-tier American stars, and one guy who got his chance at playing pro soccer through an Italian reality television show.

Their success can’t be explained by the oft-cited reason of “experience,” as only two players on the roster—midfielder Peter Villegas and defender Nigel Henry—are over the age of 30. Nor can it be explained by experience’s opposite, the “youthful exuberance” of youngsters who haven’t had the chance to make it big yet; the average age of the roster hovers around 25.

What about style of play? This too doesn’t seem to explain it. The Islanders’ style seems to change from game to game, from free-flowing attack to full-team defense, depending on the situation. They have no major, fear-inducing threat that fuels the offense, and aside from goalkeeper Bill Gaudette’s fine run of form, the defense doesn’t possess a dominating figure. But the Islanders just keep finding ways to get the job done.

So what gives? Well, in fact, all the reasons for why Puerto Rico should’ve failed by now may be exactly why they are still going strong. Call it “chemistry,” call it “believing in the team-first concept,” call it “playing with a chip on their shoulder”—whatever the reason, the Islanders run to the CCL semifinals has been no accident.

Manager Colin Clarke has done a masterful job of putting together a squad that can play several different styles and choosing his tactics wisely. The former FC Dallas boss seems to have instilled in his players a belief that they belong on the big stage and that they are tactically and technically capable of competing at any level.

The mixture of nationalities has also helped in building a team that is adept at playing the different styles found on the continent. Cristian Arrieta, the reigning USL defensive player of the year brings a high level of experience and poise to the Islanders back line, experience that the Italian gained with over 100 appearances in his home country’s lower leagues. The other European on the roster, midfielder Jonathan Steele, was the USL’s most valuable player last year and plays with the confidence one would expect of a former Northern Ireland U-19 star.

When the possession oriented style of the European manager and players fail, Puerto Rico has the ability to strike with pace on the counter. Speedy forwards such as Trinidad’s Kendall Jagdeosingh and Jamaica’s Nicholas Addlery offer more than enough pace to break through a high quality defense, as they showed in the quarterfinal tie with C.D. Marathon, which was won thanks to several lightning-strike goals from the frontrunners.

Most importantly, the Islanders are playing as a single unit. During the quarterfinal second leg, with Marathon pushing for a winner, the Islanders held their shape defensively while constantly pressuring the ball. The Hondurans often faced double teams and even in the instances when it seemed Marathon had found some space, another Islander was on hand quickly to deal with the danger.

To complement the defensive shape, the Islanders moved forward with discipline, never breaking ranks to chase after a game winner and rarely giving the ball away cheaply. Late in the second leg, when Marathon had committed everything to the attack in an attempt to equalize the aggregate score, a through-ball found Addlery in a forward position. He jumped into the attack immediately and did well to finish, but what went largely unnoticed was the rest of the Islanders’ caution in being drawn out of position despite the chance of a goal.

The next test for Puerto Rico will be the sternest yet. Cruz Azul is a team that is rounding into form— one loss in their last seven matches in all competitions—and will come to Bayamon for the first leg with a very strong side that includes Mexico international midfielder Gerardo Torrado and striker Luis Landin. The Cementeros allowed only four goals in six CCL group matches and held fellow Mexicans UNAM scoreless in the quarterfinals. It will be no easy task for the Islanders to break down Cruz Azul, and any mistake at the back could prove costly.

But don’t count them out just yet. Cruz Azul inspired little confidence going forward against Pumas, winning both games just 1-0, and UNAM offered little trouble to the Azulinos’ backline. A defensively disciplined team that can adjust its style of play and apply consistent pressure could find itself in the ascendancy. With a little luck, that long list of reasons why the Islanders shouldn’t be here could once again allow them to keep their Cinderella slippers on a little longer.

Allen Ramsey is an associate editor for Goal.com USA.

FluSH
07-24-2009, 04:11 PM
^^^
Great read... I definately think some of their players will give us trouble... however aside from Henry (the 6ft 4 beast) I don't think their defense is that strong... at least I hope.