PDA

View Full Version : Be honest, who's heard of this guy?

bhoybobby
07-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Good enuff for the premiership, but not mls/TFC?

EVERTON are expected to confirm the signing of 22-year-old American midfielder Anton Peterlin. Peterlin will be manager David Moyes' first summer signing, after impressing on a ten-day trial last season, when he was able to attend the FA Cup victory over Middlesbrough. The FA Cup finalists returned to training yesterday with Peterlin saying: "I am not sure how often miracles happen, but I will not squander this opportunity."

Moving from Ventura County Fusion for a nominal fee, he is expected to complete the details of a one-year contract.

Get In There
07-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Wow, tks for the info

I'm interested in the genesis of this - did he shop himself?

From such a level how do you get a run with a big club

B

bhoybobby
07-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Wow, tks for the info

I'm interested in the genesis of this - did he shop himself?

From such a level how do you get a run with a big club

B

Scouting system, strong networking,

Beach_Red
07-06-2009, 07:23 PM

Wow, you gotta wonder how Frank Yallop missed him right there in his backyard in California.

This guy (http://www.matchfitusa.com/2009/07/young-players-fleeing-country.html)offers an explanation:

There are several reasons, of course, because nothing with MLS is ever simple; most basically, though, it comes down to money and roster size. Signing Peterlin would not only hit the salary cap of the team in question, it would also take up one of the precious few roster spots teams have. This means that unless Peterlin was ready to step in immediately (which is doubtful), then having him on the roster is a luxury many teams can't afford, at least at the salary he might have commanded. With a European passport (his father is Danish and his mother is Slovakian), Peterlin wasn't locked into signing for an MLS club as a poverty-level salary; he could bide his time and look for trial opportunities, hoping to eventually end up signed by a European club. Which is exactly what he did.

So most likely MLS teams contacted his agent but were told he wasn't interested.

But better news for TFC is that Yura Movisyan, who played so well against us last week, will be leaving RSL for some Danish team.

Not so good for MLS to be losing good players, but that's the state we're in right now.

cmonyoureds
07-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Didn't Everton also establish a pretty decent youth academy in America a few years ago? Also adds to the strong scouting and networking I'd imagine. (although maybe I'm imagining seeing that announcement)

EAsoccer
07-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Saw a piece on him on the show "USL Weekly" on Fox sports world canada about 2-3 weeks ago. Apparently he was playing in the PDL cant remember the club honestly. But they talked to his coach who had a link in England @ Everton, called up a friend of his and set up a short trial. He impressed and held his own.

They showed some highlights of him in PDL games and training. They were talking to his coaches, teammates and managament, he's an intelligent player with size, also a leader. The guy should fit right in the EPL. Moyes is high on him it appears.

Lennon
07-07-2009, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Everton found this guy using Football Manager ... seriously ...

prizby
07-07-2009, 02:52 AM
he was playing for Venture County Fusion in the PDL and he was suggested by Graham Smith the coach of this team who use to play for Cambridge United in the 70's to David Moyes who use to play for them in the 80's (only connection I could find)

article on yahoo:
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=goal_report_everton_to&prov=goal&type=lgns

Detroit_TFC
07-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Like any job, it's who you know.

Nevertheless, he trialed well enough to get the tap, so good for him. I imagine he'll get loaned out and play in the lower divisions for a while.

Shaughno
07-07-2009, 08:25 AM
He turned down offers from Chicago and NYRB I believe.

prizby
07-07-2009, 09:58 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=ApRh890zaxWmb2noXQ91c7Imw7YF?slug=goal_c anales_daily_the&prov=goal&type=lgns

prizby
07-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Like any job, it's who you know.

Nevertheless, he trialed well enough to get the tap, so good for him. I imagine he'll get loaned out and play in the lower divisions for a while.

its only a 1 year contract

Lucky Strike
07-07-2009, 10:35 AM
I had heard of him actually. A while back I went to an Everton forum to see how they were reacting to news that their team will play the all-stars and came across this bit of news. They were as baffled as we were as to where this guy came from, but generally accepting because of Moyes's good track record in signings.

jaahuuu
07-07-2009, 11:46 AM
So most likely MLS teams contacted his agent but were told he wasn't interested.

He turned down offers from Chicago and NYRB I believe.

According to a Yahoo article (not the one posted above, can't find the link, read it yesterday), he turned down Chicago and San Jose.

EAsoccer
07-07-2009, 01:08 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2519340/Unknown-American-Anton-Peterlin-signs-for-Everton.html

Just goes to show that there are players outside of the MLS and top leagues with the talent to play at higher levels they just need to be scouted and/or seen.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-07-2009, 02:24 PM

this guy could be the next Santiago Munez

C.Ronaldo
07-07-2009, 02:55 PM
more epl teams setting up academies in teh future?

God knows 90% of our soccer players have a passport or access to one that is not Canadian

[NBF]
07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
I think this why we're hanging on to Abdus Ibrahim, so hopefully some club in europe will pick him up, and the day after we will have grass on the field.:drinking:

nummer20
07-07-2009, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Everton found this guy using Football Manager ... seriously ...

Actually....

http://kotaku.com/5087283/