PDA

View Full Version : FourFourTwo: Toronto

alexintoronto
07-06-2009, 03:40 PM
http://fourfourtwo.com/contentimages/travel/Toronto.jpg

Canadians love their hockey, they love their beer, they love their universal healthcare and a large number of them love their football.
Walk down any street in Canada's biggest city on a weekend and you're bound to see a football 'jersey' or two. Sure, you'll see the biggies: Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, A.C. Milan, Real Madrid, Celtic and so on. But you'll also see more exotic outfits: St. Pauli, Panathinaikos, Queens Park Rangers.
If there isn't snow on the ground (usually the months outside of November-February) and the temperature is above zero, then you will likely find games of pick-up football happening in the two large downtown parks, Trinity Bellwoods Park and High Park. If you join a game, you might want to keep your eye out for flying baseballs, Frisbees and dogs using your bag as a fire hydrant, but the typically friendly Torontonians love to meet new people, and if you have a wacky British accent then they will assume you're decent with a ball at your feet. So, no pressure.

http://fourfourtwo.com/contentimages/travel/sub/tfchistoryfans.jpg
The history of football in Toronto has always been drawn along ethnic lines. From the early days of the late 19th century, when battles were fought over whether to adopt a Canadian set of rules allowing for more violent play or stick with the more civil British rules, to the early 1950s when an influx of post-war immigrants radically changed the face of the sport in Canada, people in Toronto have always been passionate about football.

http://fourfourtwo.com/travel/restoftheworld/toronto/default.aspx

Nodoubtguy
07-06-2009, 03:47 PM
but avoid most chain sports bars like Shoeless Joe's (all over the bloody place) where they look at you like you're a nutter if you ask to change the TV from mixed martial arts to anything other than hockey or NFL.

really?? Are they aware of our Joe's??

Shaughno
07-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Neat article.

Cambridge_Red
07-06-2009, 03:50 PM
I think it's only on the website didn't see it in the July issue..

Darlofletch
07-06-2009, 03:51 PM
excellent, was waiting for someone to post that. Thanks.

BC101
07-06-2009, 03:51 PM
quality article KP was right.

Nomad
07-06-2009, 03:54 PM
The article is all fluff. The interviews went way more indepth than that.

Darlofletch
07-06-2009, 03:58 PM
The article is all fluff. The interviews went way more indepth than that.

It's a travel guide, it was never going to get too in depth.

Bit harsh on our fine bus drivers I thought.

Antifa Bhoy
07-06-2009, 04:02 PM

you miss the point. there were some in-depth articles that were done with each group. if this is the actual article in the print issue, then it is a poor article considering they said this was supposed to be an article about Toronto FC and the supporters in Toronto, not a travel guide.

But he did get the statement about shoeless joe's right. just because the location you guys frequent puts on the footy for you, doesn't mean you get the same reaction from the other "joe's" in the city.

basically he was saying that for those traveling too the city from overseas that wish to watch footy on t.v., that the best bet would be at a real pub, and not a chain-restaurant.

Rudi
07-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Hi Bellerose! :D

Dirk Diggler
07-06-2009, 04:24 PM

That is the only part I found unnecessary. Otherwise it was a good piece for football fans visiting Toronto.

flatpicker
07-06-2009, 04:34 PM
I think it's only on the website didn't see it in the July issue..

Kingpin started a thread in the RPB forum.
Sounds to me like it's in print.
I don't know if it's the same in print as online though...

Have any of you seen the fantastic article in the most recent issue of 442 discussing TFC and just as notably The Red Patch Boys? What an excellent article... Grab it in the mag shop ASAP!

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15136

H Bomb
07-06-2009, 04:35 PM
nice piece. It is too bad about the Joes comment though. Considering how many shitty Jack Astors claim to be the home of TFC, and although I'd never go into another Joe's, Our joes has been an incredible place to watch football these last three years

H Bomb
07-06-2009, 04:36 PM
oh yeah, and TTC drivers are fucking douchebags. I've had good ones but tend to get at least half bad...and if half a population is bad, then callin em douchebags is fair enough, I liked that in the article

Nodoubtguy
07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
you miss the point. there were some in-depth articles that were done with each group. if this is the actual article in the print issue, then it is a poor article considering they said this was supposed to be an article about Toronto FC and the supporters in Toronto, not a travel guide.

But he did get the statement about shoeless joe's right. just because the location you guys frequent puts on the footy for you, doesn't mean you get the same reaction from the other "joe's" in the city.

basically he was saying that for those traveling too the city from overseas that wish to watch footy on t.v., that the best bet would be at a real pub, and not a chain-restaurant.

I know that, but to actually Mention Joe's by name just caught me off guard.

Cambridge_Red
07-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Yeah I saw that I had a good look through the July issue and it wasn't there, as for the June issue I'm not sure.

True could be a tiny blurb in a corner which I may have overlooked...

Cambridge_Red
07-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi Bellerose! :D

Who? :D

Rudi
07-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Who? :D
He doesn't like us anymore... :(

Carter
07-06-2009, 05:14 PM
really?? Are they aware of our Joe's??

He sat and drank with us at joes... he knows it quite well.

Antifa Bhoy
07-06-2009, 05:17 PM
http://th158.photobucket.com/albums/t91/Broodstar13372/th_EpicFailGuy.jpg

Boudge
07-06-2009, 08:23 PM
TFC have yet to develop a bona fide derby, but games against Eastern Conference rivals Columbus Crew are fiery affairs with the Crew's loyal travelling support always making the trip north of the border.

The Crew's loyal supporters???
Bahaha

Rest of the article was good though

gardooney
07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
oh yeah, and TTC drivers are fucking douchebags. I've had good ones but tend to get at least half bad...and if half a population is bad, then callin em douchebags is fair enough, I liked that in the article

!!Ouch!! I think a few members will take offence with this comment.
What is it you do for a living? Just so I can paint you all with the same brush and call you douches.:facepalm:

king dave
07-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey Matt?
Just when exactly will you post something I disagree with?
Just curious:D.
KD.

king dave
07-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Never met a douche I didn't douche!
KD.
(see avatarlololololol)

Keyman
07-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Decent article. It would be a good start-up guide for anyone interested in visiting the city.

Oh, and the point about the TTC drivers is bang on. I'm sorry, but it seems as though they have something permanently stuck up their ass. I just returned from Vancouver, and rode transit there for two weeks, and I was shocked at how nice they were. Anyway, this is way off-topic. Good piece.

Cashcleaner
07-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Good article, but the remark about Shoeless Joe's does leave a bad taste in my mouth. I understand completely that most other SJ franchises won't put soccer on the television if hockey, NFL/CFL, or baseball is playing; but our home at King and Dufferin really is a notable exception.

manic.street.preacher
07-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Good article, but the remark about Shoeless Joe's does leave a bad taste in my mouth. I understand completely that most other SJ franchises won't put soccer on the television if hockey, NFL/CFL, or baseball is playing; but our home at King and Dufferin really is a notable exception.
^what he said :scarf:

Azerban
07-07-2009, 07:50 AM
who cares what they said about joes

it's not like ours is hurting for business

Antifa Bhoy
07-07-2009, 01:31 PM

is it really that notable? big deal, he didn't like the chain restaurant, and i'm sure he wasn't impressed with dufferins gate or the rhino....who cares? The article that was posted is meant to attract people from other parts of the world to come to Toronto, and I doubt his remark from shoeless joes will stop any of the target audience of that guide....ie) people NOT from Toronto.....from coming and visiting.

uncle p
07-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Lets face it, the Shoeless chain a whole is a shit place to watch soccer, our shoeless is the exeption because of us and its proximity to BMO. I would never go there to watch anything other than a TFC match

Im still laughing at the TTC comments tho :)

Cashcleaner
07-07-2009, 11:57 PM
is it really that notable? big deal, he didn't like the chain restaurant, and i'm sure he wasn't impressed with dufferins gate or the rhino....who cares? The article that was posted is meant to attract people from other parts of the world to come to Toronto, and I doubt his remark from shoeless joes will stop any of the target audience of that guide....ie) people NOT from Toronto.....from coming and visiting.

Oh for sure I think its notable. Trust me, I'm not losing sleep over it, but it is kinda weird how not much has been said about any of the supporter bars now that you mentioned it.

The Kingpin
07-08-2009, 12:47 AM

Relax guys... It's a different article from the print one. The print one is in the August issue of 442 with Messi on the front (as he should be - he IS the greatest footballer in the world). I would type out the article for you - but I'm rather lazy!! :scarf:

It's a fun read, not too in depth, but nice exposure if you are in to that.

LCB
07-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Oh, and the point about the TTC drivers is bang on. I'm sorry, but it seems as though they have something permanently stuck up their ass.

Probably because they aren't paid enough...

...get it?!?! HEY-OHHHH!

Trotter58
07-09-2009, 03:23 AM
Relax guys... It's a different article from the print one. The print one is in the August issue of 442 with Messi on the front (as he should be - he IS the greatest footballer in the world). I would type out the article for you - but I'm rather lazy!! :scarf:

It's a fun read, not too in depth, but nice exposure if you are in to that.
The Kingpin's got it right. The piece in the travel section was written a while back by a Torontonian; it's compeltely different to the feature in the new issue, written by an FFT staffer flown out to your fair city for the express purpose of watching TFC. The lucky swine.

Company policy prevents me from uploading the article in full while the mag's still on sale - hey, we've got kids to feed, etc - but I can do so in a few weeks. And, as the Kingpin says, there's nothing negative in there, about bus drivers or anyone else.

(As for me, I've been to a fair few MLS games as my brother-in-law lives in the US. I won't reveal his team 'cos I don't want to get flamed, but rest assured it's not Columbus and he's not a gloryhunting Beckham fan... :D )

Gary Parkinson, Editor, FourFourTwo.com

TFC Cityboy
07-09-2009, 08:53 AM
great TFC exposure in the best footy mag on the shelves. I buy the mag frequently, tho have a policy of never buying a footy mag with certain man united players on the cover (just a personal petty thing, ya know!).

Get yer arse over to Toronto sometime soon, Gary, to experience a TFC matchday yourself.

koryo
07-09-2009, 12:02 PM
(As for me, I've been to a fair few MLS games as my brother-in-law lives in the US. I won't reveal his team 'cos I don't want to get flamed, but rest assured it's not Columbus and he's not a gloryhunting Beckham fan... :D )

Red Bulls then? :)

Yeoman
07-09-2009, 12:03 PM
The Kingpin's got it right. The piece in the travel section was written a while back by a Torontonian; it's compeltely different to the feature in the new issue, written by an FFT staffer flown out to your fair city for the express purpose of watching TFC. The lucky swine.

Company policy prevents me from uploading the article in full while the mag's still on sale - hey, we've got kids to feed, etc - but I can do so in a few weeks. And, as the Kingpin says, there's nothing negative in there, about bus drivers or anyone else.

my immediate conclusion that if he had to say we're going to pile on him? he's a red bulls fan!
GET HIM!
anywho; that's wicked to see that Gary posted on here.
not to lick nuts or anything, but 442 is probably the best read out there.
so how's about convincing more people to order 442 mags?
definetely need to get a subscription. 442 in North America is a month behind yeah?

koryo
07-09-2009, 12:05 PM
my immediate conclusion that if he had to say we're going to pile on him? he's a red bulls fan!
GET HIM!
anywho; that's wicked to see that Gary posted on here.
not to lick nuts or anything, but 442 is probably the best read out there.
yeah?

+1 to that. Thanks Gary. Between and the brief segment on Special 1 TV, we just might get noticed a bit.

Darlofletch
07-09-2009, 12:12 PM
great TFC exposure in the best footy mag on the shelves. I buy the mag frequently, tho have a policy of never buying a footy mag with certain man united players on the cover (just a personal petty thing, ya know!).

Get yer arse over to Toronto sometime soon, Gary, to experience a TFC matchday yourself.

I have a policy of always taking a good magazine, ie fourfourtwo or when saturday comes, from it's own pile and using it to hide the copies of United, or whatever the man u specific magazine is called, hopefully meaning that's one less person exposed to and getting on board with them, or at the very least it's 5 less dollars or however much it costs in their coffers.

petty and pointless? absolutely, but still satisfying after all these years.