PDA

View Full Version : Things turn sour in Salt Lake after a string of successes... by Carl Robinson

CoachGT
07-06-2009, 11:05 AM
The latest Robbo article, from last Thursday. Didn't see it anywhere else on here.

http://www.countytimes.co.uk/columnists/Things-turn-sour-in-Salt.5423920.jp

James17930
07-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Everyone's worried way too much about the RSL game -- it was meaningless.

Kevvv
07-06-2009, 11:26 AM

You could just as easily say that about the NYRB games - meaningless wins against the bottom club. Let's just hope that the loss is an anomaly due to the altitude, fatigue, and airline difficulties, and not a continuation of the poor form they showed in Houston.

jloome
07-06-2009, 02:25 PM

And we missed the playoffs last year by how many points again? In a league this tight, they're never meaningless.

t.o_moose
07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
You could just as easily say that about the NYRB games - meaningless wins against the bottom club. Let's just hope that the loss is an anomaly due to the altitude, fatigue, and airline difficulties, and not a continuation of the poor form they showed in Houston.

not meaningless if we're beating a team in our conference

VPjr
07-06-2009, 03:37 PM

I think it was very meaningful. They were totally dominated by a team that is on a similar footing to them talentwise.

Beating NYRB at home is not meaningless either. Had they lost those games, the season would be over.

The next 3-4 games will be very meaningful. In my opinion, if they don't get 7 points from the next 4 games minimum, almost all games played in August/September/October will be fairly meaningless.

rocker
07-06-2009, 03:50 PM
losing to RSL is expected... road games at altitude in MLS, in a stadium where hardly anyone has won?
winning against NYRB is expected.. shite team, hadn't won on the road in a fricken year, down in the dumps....
neither result should be surprising to anyone.

I think expecting to lose to NY at home or expecting to beat RSL away are bad bets.

nascarguy
07-06-2009, 03:55 PM
yeah ok the only meaningless games are the allstar & the friendly games. tfc better win or tie the next away game or there going to be alot of unhappy people at the next home game..

Kevvv
07-06-2009, 04:04 PM
not meaningless if we're beating a team in our conference

Only if we're fighting for one of the top two playoff spots, otherwise a game against a western conference opponent with a similar point toal is more meaningful than a game against the last place team. A win against NY is worth 3 points in the playoff race, the loss against RSL means they're 1 point out of the playoff race, and 2 behind us.

If we lost to NY and beat RSL, NY would still be in last, we would still be in the playoff hunt, but RSL would be 4 points from qualifying.

Anyway, my point wasn't that the NY wins were meaningless, only that the loss was not meaningless.

Yohan
07-07-2009, 11:56 AM
losing to RSL is expected... road games at altitude in MLS, in a stadium where hardly anyone has won?
winning against NYRB is expected.. shite team, hadn't won on the road in a fricken year, down in the dumps....
neither result should be surprising to anyone.

I think expecting to lose to NY at home or expecting to beat RSL away are bad bets.
funny thing is, San Jose of all teams almost beat RSL at Rio Tinto, except to draw on an own goal last min of the game

James17930
07-07-2009, 07:43 PM

That's what I meant.