PDA

View Full Version : Tfc Academy Game Friday Night

tfcacademy
06-04-2008, 08:35 AM
The TFC Academy look to get back on the winning track when they take on Portugal FC at Lamport Stadium on Friday night. Tickets are $10 at the gate with kids under 16 FREE. You can't go wrong!! Come out and watch exciting Canadian Soccer League action at Lamport Stadium.

Toronto FC Academy

vs.

Portugal FC.

Friday June 6, 2008
8pm
Lamport Stadium

Call 905-564-4660 for advance tickets priced at $7

Barbarez
06-04-2008, 08:40 AM
really shitty football...

Gobi
06-04-2008, 08:53 AM
^ Yeah, but it's fun to scream at the kids.

Kevvv
06-04-2008, 08:59 AM
really shitty football...

You need beter seats. Somewhere inside the stadium

Barbarez
06-04-2008, 09:21 AM
You need beter seats. Somewhere inside the stadium

Funny. I didn't see you at the academy game on Friday vs the shooters... Mr. Internet supporter.

Kevvv
06-04-2008, 09:24 AM
That is funny, because I was there, between Pinkie and George B.

Barbarez
06-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Were you now...hmmm my point still stands, the quality of football at these academy games is garbage...

Kevvv
06-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Can't argue that. Italia dwarfed the Academy guys. (When the best part of the game was you guys checking your banner, it wasn't a quality night on the pitch)

Parkdale
06-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Were you now...hmmm my point still stands, the quality of football at these academy games is garbage...

you've been to see ONE game, and you are going to judge the quality of play on that? The first game I saw was really decent (TFCA v Croatia)

Hooligan69
06-04-2008, 09:47 AM
The TV guide tells me it will be on Rogers Cable 10.

Barbarez
06-04-2008, 09:51 AM
you've been to see ONE game, and you are going to judge the quality of play on that? The first game I saw was really decent (TFCA v Croatia)

I've seen the quality of players too, which isn't anything to brag about...anybody out there who claims they enjoy watching academy games is delusional.

P.S Charging $15 for a ticket isn't going to help their attendance either.

Red CB Toronto
06-04-2008, 10:09 AM
If you preorder it is 11.50 a ticket

Parkdale
06-04-2008, 10:17 AM
...anybody out there who claims they enjoy watching academy games is delusional.

right.

I forgot that in Toronto, only the highest level of play will have any fans while the lesser teams get nothing.

How very Maple Leafs Nation of you Barbarez.

sulfur
06-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Erm... Maple Leafs? Last I checked, the Marlies were a higher quality hockey team. :D

Oh... you said higher level.

My bad.

Barbarez
06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
lol keep going out man, give your $15 or w/e to the city and corporations, watch shitty football on a pitch that looks more like a golf course with all the bumps and curves. If the city doesn't give 2 shits about developing and promoting our club why should I? Fuck the corporate junkies, I'm not putting 1 more penny into their pockets.

Parkdale
06-04-2008, 11:02 AM
If the city doesn't give 2 shits about developing and promoting our club why should I?

because we support the TFC ?

jabbronies
06-04-2008, 11:04 AM
I hear what Barbarez is saying...why watch shitty football on a shitty field?
Well, if you (the fan) don't spend money on this team, they will forever play on a shitty field and never have a proper development system cos the corprates won't spend money on them.

it's corporate BS, but that's the way our whole society works. We've been buying into it since we were 5 years old crying for that G.I Joe action figure and all the accessories that come with it. You either deal with the corporate BS or you sit and complain about it and do nothing to change it except keep buying into it...another catch 22.

Barbarez
06-04-2008, 11:05 AM
because we support the TFC ?

It's called blind support, maple leaf support. People like you are the reason MLSE and city can do w/e the fuck they want because they know fans are still going to come out and pay the price of admission and buy a jersey.

The Pope
06-04-2008, 11:10 AM
lol keep going out man, give your $15 or w/e to the city and corporations, watch shitty football on a pitch that looks more like a golf course with all the bumps and curves. If the city doesn't give 2 shits about developing and promoting our club why should I? Fuck the corporate junkies, I'm not putting 1 more penny into their pockets.

whats the difference between this and TFC?

Parkdale
06-04-2008, 11:12 AM
...why watch shitty football on a shitty field?

it's not really that shitty a field. It's got brand new turf that's just been installed. Plus isn't it about the players on the field? Maybe Barbarez' view of the whole thing is slanted because his crew got ejected for lighting smokebombs off in the closed section. Think that could affect someone's opinion of the match?

Barbarez
06-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I hear what Barbarez is saying...why watch shitty football on a shitty field?
Well, if you (the fan) don't spend money on this team, they will forever play on a shitty field and never have a proper development system cos the corprates won't spend money on them.

it's corporate BS, but that's the way our whole society works. We've been buying into it since we were 5 years old crying for that G.I Joe action figure and all the accessories that come with it. You either deal with the corporate BS or you sit and complain about it and do nothing to change it except keep buying into it...another catch 22.

The corporates already have money. What pisses me off is that they always take shortcuts with everything. Lamport field is an example. How about putting some real money into a project for a change, build something thats going to wow people instead of make people say "Oh maybe they'll fix that". Fuck that, why should we always be the ones to show we care first? What we need is a private owner, with money, who is a football junky and is willing to do whatever it takes and listen to the people.

jabbronies
06-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Maybe Barbarez' view of the whole thing is slanted because his crew got ejected for lighting smokebombs off in the closed section. Think that could affect someone's opinion of the match?

hahahahaha that's pretty funny...

jabbronies
06-04-2008, 11:16 AM
The corporates already have money. What pisses me off is that they always take shortcuts with everything. Lamport field is an example. How about putting some real money into a project for a change, build something thats going to wow people instead of make people say "Oh maybe they'll fix that". Fuck that, why should we always be the ones to show we care first? What we need is a private owner, with money, who is a football junky and is willing to do whatever it takes and listen to the people.

ya, I hear that. but this is North America. Soccer junkies are few and far between. All we have are people willing to take small risks and if those risks pay off, then they'll risk a bit more.

Barbarez
06-04-2008, 11:17 AM
it's not really that shitty a field. It's got brand new turf that's just been installed. Plus isn't it about the players on the field? Maybe Barbarez' view of the whole thing is slanted because his crew got ejected for lighting smokebombs off in the closed section. Think that could affect someone's opinion of the match?

That was the most boring game of my life. We got kicked out near the end, which unfortunately gave us plenty of time to "enjoy" the match. Face it man, quality is bad, the pitch is horrible, there is a sizeable speed bump on the left side of the pitch. 100 people at most in attendance....But whatever, enjoy your friday night academy games...

AL-MO
06-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Barb the quality of Soccer that you are used to in Europe is different from here, so i can understand your frustrations. Lets just hope that the TFC academy will increase the quality of soccer here over the coming years.

BTW I haven't been out to a game yet. I may go and check one out, but I am not to interested in 'cheering' the kids on. Let them develop without fan/supporter pressure.

Barbarez
06-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Barb the quality of Soccer that you are used to in Europe is different from here, so i can understand your frustrations. Lets just hope that the TFC academy will increase the quality of soccer here over the coming years.

BTW I haven't been out to a game yet. I may go and check one out, but I am not to interested in 'cheering' the kids on. Let them develop without fan/supporter pressure.

Oh come on man, I could bring my little sister to the game and she'd tell you it's crap too. There was a couple African guys with us there as well who thought the same...Look man, all you need is someone who is willing to invest some real $$$ and push these players and the league. FFS just look at the Americans, they're light years ahead.

masrawy
06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Never going to this shit again.

I'd support all levels of the club if it was a club in the traditional sense. Too bad the Academy is just another MLSE hustle. I didn't see much in the players selected at all. The level of football they're playing is garbage, I'm pretty sure the academy teams in the MLS are playing at a much higher level.

First and last time I go to an Academy game was last week, biggest waste of $15 ever.

JonO
06-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Look man, all you need is someone who is willing to invest some real $$$ and push these players and the league. FFS just look at the Americans, they're light years ahead.
I agree - it would awesome if this would happen, but unfortunately I don't see it happening any time soon, so I will enjoy what we have and try to find ways to make it better.

I keep daydreaming that someone like Alex Schnaider would take an interest and make a donation to the city to transform Lamport into what BMO is now - a stadium with an excellent artificial turf that can be bubbled in the winter. That would free up BMO for what it should be used for (including natural turf).

Maybe one day...

rocker
06-04-2008, 12:17 PM

I'd support all levels of the club if it was a club in the traditional sense. Too bad the Academy is just another MLSE hustle. I didn't see much in the players selected at all. The level of football they're playing is garbage, I'm pretty sure the academy teams in the MLS are playing at a much higher level.

First and last time I go to an Academy game was last week, biggest waste of $15 ever.

how is it an MLSE hustle?? They aren't making any money off it. They'd save money if they cancelled the whole project and stopped paying Dasovic and the two assistants ;)

Also, how are you sure the other academies are playing at a higher level? Nobody on this board has any idea what level the other academies are at.

Parkdale
06-04-2008, 12:55 PM
^ way to inject logic into an otherwise perfectly good argument.

Barbarez
06-04-2008, 01:00 PM
how is it an MLSE hustle?? They aren't making any money off it. They'd save money if they cancelled the whole project and stopped paying Dasovic and the two assistants ;)

Also, how are you sure the other academies are playing at a higher level? Nobody on this board has any idea what level the other academies are at.

You know nothing. Do you want me get somebody on here that is actually employed by a couple CSL teams and he can tell you how they make money? I'll tell you with limited knowledge that it's not on ticket sales.

nobodybeatsthewiz
06-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Maybe Barbarez' view of the whole thing is slanted because his crew got ejected for lighting smokebombs off in the closed section. Think that could affect someone's opinion of the match?

awesome!

trane
06-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I am comming out this Friday, I want to support the corporate monster that is MLSE, with my fifteen bucks.

Parkdale
06-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I am comming out this Friday, I want to support the corporate monster that is MLSE, with my fifteen bucks.

http://forums.thebothanspy.com/images/smilies/money_02.gif

BeachRed
06-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Do players on academy teams also play on college teams? Do other countries have something like NCAA that develops players?

Parkdale
06-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Do players on academy teams also play on college teams? Do other countries have something like NCAA that develops players?

The players on the TFC Academy are Under 19's, so they wouldn't be at the college level yet.

hrvat87
06-04-2008, 01:23 PM
1.I dont understand why they dont play at BMO field...

2.Why waste your $$$ when you could sit at home and watch it on tv live..on Rogers Channel 10 @ 8:00 pm

Phil
06-04-2008, 01:25 PM
1.I dont understand why they dont play at BMO field...

2.Why waste your $$$ when you could sit at home and watch it on tv live..on Rogers Channel 10 @ 8:00 pm

Why go to TFC games when they are televised for free?

I find it to be a good night out - drinks and football.

hrvat87
06-04-2008, 01:28 PM
no booze allowed at lamport...

Phil
06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
no booze allowed at lamport...

Shoeless has lots :D

AL-MO
06-04-2008, 01:44 PM

It is the first year after all. Their may be better players who have remained with their youth clubs and chosen not to go to the TFC academy...I'll give them a couple years to get their act together. If there hasn't been improvements I'll be more critical then.

rocker
06-04-2008, 01:51 PM
You know nothing. Do you want me get somebody on here that is actually employed by a couple CSL teams and he can tell you how they make money? I'll tell you with limited knowledge that it's not on ticket sales.

if you knew you'd actually post it rather than avoiding the question.

explain how it all works, oh wise one. explain me the "MLSE hustle" with the academy or fuck off.

trane
06-04-2008, 02:00 PM
http://forums.thebothanspy.com/images/smilies/money_02.gif

That is me happely wasting money on the MLSE. :cool:

hrvat87
06-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Games to be televised:

June 6: Portugal FC vs TFC Academy (Lamport)
June 13: Portugal FC vs North York Astros (Lamport)
June 20: Serbian White Eagles vs St. Catharines Wolves (Centennial)
June 27: Portugal FC vs Serbian White Eagles (Lamport)
July 4: Currently No Game
July 11: Portugal FC vs St. Catharines Wolves (Lamport)
July 18: Portugal FC vs Trois Rivieres Attak (Lamport)
July 25: Serbian White Eagles vs TFC Academy (Centennial)
Aug. 1: International Game (involving CSL All-Stars) -- TBA
Aug. 8: Serbian White Eagles vs Windsor Border Stars (Centennial)
Aug. 15: TFC Academy vs North York Astros (Lamport)
Aug. 22: Serbian White Eagles vs Portugal FC (Centennial)
Aug. 29: Currently No Game
Sept. 5: Serbian White Eagles vs Brampton (Centennial)
Sept. 12: Portugal FC vs Serbian White Eagles (Lamport)
Sept. 19: Serbian White Eagles vs Italia Shooters (Centennial)
Sept. 26: Portugal FC vs London City (Lamport)
Oct. 3: Currently No Game

Oct. 10: Quarterfinal
Oct. 17: Semi-Finals
Oct. 24: Finals - (Lamport Stadium)

hamiltonfan
06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Coming out to these games is far more than just support TFC, its supporting Canadian pro soccer. We need to help build soccer from the lower levels of pro and up. the CSL is a fine league with some great soccer. Cant wait to be at more games. If your not down the the TFCA then pick a different damn team to support... stop making all these negative comments and get out there :canada:

hrvat87
06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
alll of those games will be on ROGERS TELEVISION CHANNEL 10

Mrs. Workie
06-04-2008, 06:02 PM
I find it to be a good night out - drinks and football.

That's how I see it too.

I may be there Friday

deltox
06-06-2008, 06:04 PM
what channel is channel 10? its not channel 10

deltox
06-06-2008, 07:14 PM
???????

dantdot
06-06-2008, 07:14 PM
what channel is channel 10? its not channel 10

It's 10 on rogers cable. It's about to start.

deltox
06-06-2008, 07:18 PM
so for digital tv in york region that would be what channel.

dantdot
06-06-2008, 07:50 PM
so for digital tv in york region that would be what channel.

Try 63.

Pretty dull game so far.

deltox
06-06-2008, 07:53 PM
yeah.....up here its not the game....its york region tv

dantdot
06-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Meh, you're not missing much. Haven't been following the academy but they're wearing the duplicate of the TFC kit now, looks nice.

Red CB Toronto
06-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Any score updates

dantdot
06-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Didn't watch most of the second half but it was a 2-1 Portugal FC Final. A TFC player scored very late in the game with a nice half-volley.

neuf
06-06-2008, 10:48 PM
I have attended half a dozen CSL games over the past few years with a friend who follows the Serbian White Eagles.

They were much more fun a few years ago before they changed their coach. They had a pretty decent following of supporters up to that point.

I've been to a few games since TFC started and the contrast between the two leagues is striking.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Wow, I can’t believe the negativity in this thread.

I watched the game and I felt the quality wasn’t too bad. Admittedly, the first half was pretty terrible and the game overall was very chippy, but the second half had a nice ‘ebb and flow’ to it. The game even featured a moment of genuine quality - the Portugal Fc strike for the second goal.

TFC Academy was a little unlucky not to have scored. I think they still must be finding out who their best team is, as most of the injury-forced substitutes out played the starters. There were a number of player on the academy team who seem quite skilled. I expect that a few may have a future with the team.

deltox
06-07-2008, 06:36 AM
yeah. it will come in time

ag futbol
06-07-2008, 07:42 AM
I would think at least two clubs make their money from ticket sales, but I hear the bonuses from winning are pretty good as well.

James17930
06-07-2008, 09:05 AM
I keep daydreaming that someone like Alex Schnaider would take an interest and make a donation to the city to transform Lamport into what BMO is now - a stadium with an excellent artificial turf that can be bubbled in the winter. That would free up BMO for what it should be used for (including natural turf).

Maybe one day...

Once I get rich I'm actually planning on doing this :D