PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Wednesday , Jun.04

denime
06-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Canada juggles roster ahead of Panama friendly

The Canadian Press

Partly by necessity, partly by desire, national team coach Dale Mitchell will be juggling his roster when Canada plays Panama Wednesday night in an international friendly in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Midfielder Dwayne De Rosario and goalkeeper Pat Onstad both returned to their MLS team in Houston following Canada's 3-2 loss to Brazil Saturday night. That means defender Jim Brennan, of Toronto FC of the MSL, and forward Ali Gerba, who plays for FC Ingolstadt in Germany, will be added to the lineup.
Mitchell will also be without midfielder Julian de Guzman who scored a goal against Brazil and was one of the best Canadians on the pitch. De Guzman, who plays in the Spanish first division, returned to Toronto with a leg injury but Mitchell was reluctant to give out too much information.
He stuck to the hockey diagnosis of a “lower body injury.”

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080603.wspt-natsoc0306/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Greg Sutton Interview

In recent years heading north of the border usually meant getting a win for MLS or Concacaf's top teams, but no longer. Canadian soccer on both the club and national team levels is much improved. Soccer365's Lars Lifrak talks with goalkeeper Greg Sutton about the recent success of Toronto FC and the Canadian national team.

365: Let’s start with Toronto FC. You have to be pleased with the start, right?
Greg Sutton: I think we’ve made a lot of changes this year and some key additions with guys like Amado Guevara and Laurent Robert. We had a pretty good nucleus last year but we needed to improve on it. We did that. I think also, the coaching staff that’s moved in and taken over has done a great job of getting everyone on the same page. Also defensively, we’ve been a lot stronger than we were last year and that carries its weight in gold.

Read more (http://www.soccer365.com/mls/story_4608002759.php)

Carver, TFC help out the CSA :canada:

De Guzman making use of TFC facilities to treat knee injury

Canadian international Julian De Guzman was at BMO Field on Tuesday getting treatment for a knee injury from Toronto FC medical staff. Toronto coach John Carver was pleased to help the Canadian Soccer Association by providing De Guzman with the opportunity to make use of the club's staff and facilities.
"I want to try and help the CSA as much as I can," said Carver. "Hopefully in the long run they will help us as well. I want us to work together. We want the best for the game in Canada. There has to be give and take. We should all be working together."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080603&content_id=163055&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Three Reds in All-Star voting top-10

Guevara, Sutton, Edu among league's leading vote-getters

Three Toronto FC players are currently in the top ten vote getters for the MLS All-Star team. Amado Guevara (2.13 %) is 4th, Greg Sutton (1.80 %) is 8th and Mo Edu (1.66 %) is 10th. Get voting to make sure Toronto FC is represented when the All-Star game comes to town on Thursday, July 24th. The MLS All-Stars will take on Premier League side West Ham United at BMO Field. CLICK HERE TO VOTE > (javascript:void(window.open('http://www.mlsnet.com/mls/events/all_star/2008/ballot/register.jsp','','width=645,height=776,location=no ,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,status=no,toolbar=no,re sizable=yes'));)
Former MLS MVP Amado Guevara has made a big impact since signing for Toronto and scored both of the goals in the 2-0 win against Kansas City Wizards in April. Goalkeeper Greg Sutton has been in outstanding form, conceding only one goal in the last five games he has played at BMO Field. Mo Edu won the 2007 MLS Rookie of the Year award, and his early season performances earned him a call up to the U.S. National Team to play England and Spain.

read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080603&content_id=163051&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

TFC players returning to training

Tuesday news and notes

Toronto FC returned to training on Tuesday at BMO Field to begin preparations for Sunday's game at Houston Dynamo. A number of players are away on international duty but are expected to join the side for the game against Houston. Tyrone Marshall has now linked up with the Jamaica squad after recovering from the injury that kept him out of the win against LA Galaxy. Mo Edu, Jim Brennan, Greg Sutton and Amado Guevara are also away. "I'm hoping that everyone apart from Amado will join up with the squad ahead of the Houston game," said coach John Carver. Carl Robinson returned to training on Tuesday after missing the Galaxy game away playing for Wales.
"We've eased off a bit with the guys who've been playing most of the games. We just did a light training session today and the younger players who've not been in the games did a full session," said Carver.

read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080603&content_id=163017&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html) :thumbsup:

scooter
06-04-2008, 08:08 AM
mornin denime
great to hear of cooperation between csa and tfc -- finally a light ___
got to love john carver he has really brought a lot to the team in 4 month

flatpicker
06-04-2008, 08:18 AM
I want to hug Carver

I am so glad he is here!!!

Don Julio
06-04-2008, 08:45 AM
By what criteria, exactly, could you consider Edu an All Star? I like the guy, and think he'll develop well, but how could you think he's been one of the top midfielders in the league this year?! He's not even one of the top midfielders on our team!

flatpicker
06-04-2008, 08:49 AM
yup... Edu won't du...

but it's not unusual for a player maintain momentum based on old hype.

no worries though... as it's been said... the All-Star coaching staff get most of the decision making control... I have no doubt the best players will be out there.

but they will for sure have to field a couple TFC players... gotta give something to the home crowd.

Fort York Redcoat
06-04-2008, 09:39 AM
I love the fact Canada wants to use all our TFC facilities except the most important to us here, the field.

Razcle
06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Well don't forget. Edu is now widely visable to the american public that don't follow TFC. They know he is a starter and they know his connections with the national team, so if the public are unsure who to vote for, his name pops up as a known figure to many people.

denime
06-04-2008, 01:16 PM
TFC pitches in to help Canada's de Guzman recover

Toronto training staff helps midfielder rehab sprained knee
MORGAN CAMPBELL

While Jim Brennan joined Toronto FC teammate Greg Sutton in suiting up for today's national team friendly against Panama, midfielder Julian de Guzman quietly took a break from the national team and spent yesterday with Toronto FC.
De Guzman, who scored once in Canada's 3-2 loss to Brazil on Saturday, showed up at BMO Field yesterday to work with TFC training staff, who were helping him rehab a mildly sprained knee.
"We'll give him the best attention we can," TFC coach John Carver said after the practice.
Carver said TFC assistant coach Nick Dasovic, also an assistant with Canada's national team, set up de Guzman's trip to Toronto.
When Dasovic joined TFC's coaching staff earlier this spring he said he hoped to use his connections within the Canadian Soccer Association to forge a stronger bond between the CSA and Canada's biggest pro team.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/436710)

Oldtimer
06-04-2008, 01:46 PM
TFC pitches in to help Canada's de Guzman recover

From that article:

NO FINE: MLS has decided not to discipline John Carver for a recent post-game rant against an official. After a May 17 draw against Columbus, Carver blasted the game's fourth official Mauricio Navarro, who he says unfairly harassed him throughout the game. Earlier in May Real Salt Lake coach Jason Kreis was fined $1,000 and suspended one game after criticizing officials, and Carver expected a similar punishment for his comments. But he says MLS officials called him on Monday to tell him they wouldn't take action.