PDA

View Full Version : will mo regret letting sutton go?

ua-kozak_TFC
07-03-2009, 11:25 PM
I got a feeling that we really will regret letting sutton go... i think he probably will be picked up somewhere else in the MLS...And at the back of a decent defense he will shine.

why didn;t mo tried trading him or something before releasing him?
thoughts?

CretanBull
07-03-2009, 11:29 PM
We had to let Sutton go to find the cap space to sign Gerba. With Frei playing as well as he has, it was a calculated risk.

Why do you assume Mo didn't try trading him? It's not surprising that no one was interested in an International keeper making a big salary. He might find his way back into the MLS (I'm betting with Vancouver) but it won't be on the same contract that he was on.

Inswingingwingman
07-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Sutton played great against Jamacia man, and Gerba scored. One out, one in.

Shakes McQueen
07-04-2009, 07:25 AM
We had to let Sutton go to find the cap space to sign Gerba. With Frei playing as well as he has, it was a calculated risk.

Why do you assume Mo didn't try trading him? It's not surprising that no one was interested in an International keeper making a big salary. He might find his way back into the MLS (I'm betting with Vancouver) but it won't be on the same contract that he was on.

Yeah, Sutton had extra value to us because he was a Canadian player, but to any other MLS team, he's an international - and probably an overpaid one, to boot.

I suspect there was no demand for his services.

We may regret the move (I think wasting an Int'l player slot on a backup GK is crazy), but we certainly aren't right now.

The only regrettable situation I could see, would be if Frei left for Europe at the end of the season or something, leaving us back at square one.

- Scott

rocker
07-04-2009, 07:46 AM
you can't look at the Sutton move, or any move in MLS, in an isolated way.
No move is ever just about the player himself. it's always about creating space for another player.

so if you think losing Sutton is a problem, then you have to assess the incoming player's worth.

I assume right now that Gerba will be more valuable than a 160K benchwarming goalkeeper.

Pookie
07-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Clearing cap space for Gerba is as good as a trade IMO.

Cap space is valuable and we have to rethink how we evaluate trades.

Same with the NHL with fans and pundits evaluating deals. ie. Kubina for Excelby. Kubina was the better player but Burke got a player in return and millions in cap space. Hard to say who the winner was.

In many cases, having extra cap space can be more beneficial than having a player.

MG42
07-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Sutton was his usual self last night, making big saves, and making terrible distribution decisions and terrible clearances when the ball is passed back to him...at least he's consistent :lol:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_making)

H Bomb
07-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Frei is better than Sutton, Sutton cost $100,000+ on the bench...it allllllll made sense.

boban
07-04-2009, 09:33 AM
In many cases, having extra cap space can be more beneficial than having a player.
True, but it's only beneficial if you do something with it.

mighty_torontofc_2008
07-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I got a feeling that we really will regret letting sutton go... i think he probably will be picked up somewhere else in the MLS...And at the back of a decent defense he will shine.

thoughts?

your not going to get anything for Sutton...hes past his prime and we more then two capable keepers that are younger and better...Greg had 2 decent seasons here and hope he catches on with another club but hes
of no use to TFC in a salary capped league,

boban
07-04-2009, 09:41 AM
your not going to get anything for Sutton...hes past his prime and we more then two capable keepers that are younger and better...Greg had 2 decent seasons here and hope he catches on with another club but hes
of no use to TFC in a salary capped league,
Dude, he a goalie who is 32 yrs old. Hardly even close to old.
Onstad is 40+ FFS sakes and he won the MLS CUp 2 yrs. ago, Zoff won the WC at 40. You guys make him seem like he has a cane or something.

Cashcleaner
07-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Frei is better than Sutton, Sutton cost $100,000+ on the bench...it allllllll made sense.

That's really what it all boils down to. Frei is one of the best keepers in the league and he's only going to get better. Sutton was a good GK when we needed him, but now he would have been getting paid far too much just for staying on the bench. Who knows, we might see him again in MLS. But I don't think this was a decision anyone will regret.

Beach_Red
07-04-2009, 10:18 AM
thoughts?

How do you know he didn't?

You might say even a lower round draft pick would have been better than nothing, but for other teams to take that salary hit on their cap is quite a bit. The salary cap and roster restrictions make all moves in MLS hard to speculate on.

Maybe Sutton should have been asked to take a pay cut - maybe he was, we don't know.

rocker
07-04-2009, 10:21 AM
and i know people worry about losing Frei.. but so what? You lose guys all the time.
Frei is locked up for 3 seasons after this one. Enjoy him while we have him. If Mo decides to move him after year 3 of the 4 year deal, we get someone else. That's a long time. I think Frei will be around for 2010 and 2011, with maybe him being dealt (TFC/MLS choice, that is) before his 4th year to maximize value. But thats a lot of ifs. Who knows..

As of last year we didn't who the hell Stefan Frei was.... and now he's a starting keeper for us.
We lose Frei? Draft another solid keeper :)

CoachGT
07-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Sutton's biggest weakness showed again last night in the Gold Cup game - probably the biggest reason that he isn't starting somewhere in MLS. His distribution is spotty, at best. Last night he threw one ball directly to a Jamaican player (only to have an equally terribile play by the player giving it right back - it should have been a "caught-out" situation) and a couple of poor clearances on passes back to the keeper. In the final minute, I had fears that he was going to roll the ball out of the back (ripe for another interception) but he rightly booted the ball downfield. If you are going to give it to the opposition, at least make them run 70+ meters to get the ball back to your end.

For the money he was paid, there is better value at the position. See either Frei or Edwards - Edwards strength is his distribution.

rocker
07-04-2009, 10:43 AM
yes Edwards distribution is excellent. Even better than Frei's. Both were better in that regard than Sutton.
Edwards could pinpoint a ball directly downfield onto the foot/head of players...

koryo
07-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Last night was vintage Sutton. Peerless as a shot-stopper but not up to par in distribution, commanding the back line...

I wish him the best but ultimately the club did right by releasing him.

H Bomb
07-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Also cant hold onto balls ^^

Again I think we all loved Sutton, but Frei is better, and the business of sports reared its ugly head

Cambridge_Red
07-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Last night was vintage Sutton. Peerless as a shot-stopper but not up to par in distribution, commanding the back line...

I wish him the best but ultimately the club did right by releasing him.

Exactly, our rookie keeper is just as good a shot stopper and tenfold better at ball distribution. Sutton was a standout person but wasting cap space on our bench, for once this was a good move.

koryo
07-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Exactly, our rookie keeper is just as good a shot stopper and tenfold better at ball distribution. Sutton was a standout person but wasting cap space on our bench, for once this was a good move.

Spot on CR. Sutton did a job for us early in 2007 before he was injured, as well as last year. But we've upgraded.

koryo
07-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Also cant hold onto balls ^^

Again I think we all loved Sutton, but Frei is better, and the business of sports reared its ugly head

+1 to that n'all

boban
07-04-2009, 11:28 AM
But we've upgraded.
Have we?? :confused:

2008 GA 1.43
So Far 2009 GA 1.56

People say we better on the back line with Serioux back there.

koryo
07-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Frei: better all around keeper with a huge upswing yet to come.
Sutton: at his peak, not getting any better, massive holes in his game.

Yes, I believe we've upgraded.

boban
07-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Frei: better all around keeper with a huge upswing yet to come.
Sutton: at his peak, not getting any better, massive holes in his game.

Yes, I believe we've upgraded.
Those are matters of opinion, but don't let facts get in the way. ;)

koryo
07-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Those are matters of opinion, but don't let facts get in the way. ;)

I'm only offering an opinion mate. As you have yours. cheers.

boban
07-04-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm only offering an opinion mate. As you have yours. cheers.
Exactly. And I am contesting yours that we upgraded.
You can't make assumption on a players performance in the future. We all know how Daigle turned out.
So we have only the present. And presently there is no improvement, Numbers speak to that.

CretanBull
07-04-2009, 11:58 AM
If you think a GAA of 1.43 vs 1.56 is statistical proof that one keeper is better than another then you're lost. Anyone with eyes can tell you that Frei is clearly a better keeper.

koryo
07-04-2009, 11:59 AM
If you think a GAA of 1.43 vs 1.56 is statistical proof that one keeper is better than another then you're lost. Anyone with eyes can tell you that Frei is clearly a better keeper.

But numbers, like the table, don't lie. I can see where boban's coming from even though I don't agree with it.

boban
07-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I never said that.

Carts
07-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I wonder if Greg was ever approached about a pay-cut to free up cap space, considering his lesser role on the squad...

MLSE could find a way to pay him "away" from the cap (as he suddenly becomes 'keeper consultant' of the academy etc)...

I know the MLS players union would flip and freak about this etc...

All my useless speculation aside - he played GREAT last night...

Carts...

jloome
07-04-2009, 12:27 PM

I'm actually with Boban in this one. Frei looks, to me, a much more confident keeper. But in terms of shot-stopping, he hasn't been able to prevent the usual terrible "defence went to sleep" goals either.

I will say, though, that I'd like to see a relative shot comparison. Because as good as Sutton is in close, he's nowhere near the reaction keeper Frei is, just judging by some of the goals Frei HASN't let in.

If it came down to money (and, evidently, it did) I'd have to say the deal made sense. Edwards doesn't save you enough to be worth moving (although so far he hasnt had a chance to show any real ability to impact) and Frei has the appearance of an eventual international star keeper. He's only a kid, for cryin' out loud, a decade from his prime.

In 2019, we'll probably be watching him start at Real Madrid or Man Utd, or something

boban
07-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm actually with Boban in this one. Frei looks, to me, a much more confident keeper. But in terms of shot-stopping, he hasn't been able to prevent the usual terrible "defence went to sleep" goals either.

I will say, though, that I'd like to see a relative shot comparison. Because as good as Sutton is in close, he's nowhere near the reaction keeper Frei is, just judging by some of the goals Frei HASN't let in.
I take a different look. I feel Frei cost us some points with this. Take the DC game about 6 weeks back. Frei let 3 goals and from in close. He looked lost and didn't even twitch on the shots. With Sutton's reflex's and reach we could have come out with the whole 3 if he was in. Yes I know hindsight and all. It's just my observatory opinion.

In 2019, we'll probably be watching him start at Real Madrid or Man Utd, or something
That is quite the assumption.
I don't know where this love in is with this guy.
He's good but .. I don't know ...

Red CB Toronto
07-04-2009, 12:56 PM
All I can say is "There is only one Greg Sutton" !!!!!

boysblue
07-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Are MLS contracts guaranteed? In other words, when a player like Greg Sutton gets released mid-season does he still get fully paid by TFC for the remainder of his contract? I assume so, but don't know for sure. May be a dumb question.

I liked Sutton, but think Mo had little choice in moving forward.

boban
07-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Are MLS contracts guaranteed? In other words, when a player like Greg Sutton gets released mid-season does he still get fully paid by TFC for the remainder of his contract? I assume so, but don't know for sure. May be a dumb question.

I liked Sutton, but think Mo had little choice in moving forward.
Sutton is getting paid nothing now.

CoachGT
07-05-2009, 09:22 AM
I take a different look. I feel Frei cost us some points with this. Take the DC game about 6 weeks back. Frei let 3 goals and from in close. He looked lost and didn't even twitch on the shots. With Sutton's reflex's and reach we could have come out with the whole 3 if he was in. Yes I know hindsight and all. It's just my observatory opinion.

Bear in mind that one of our goals in that game came directly off a Frei punt downfield that DeRo got to. No way on earth that Sutton gets the ball that far down the path unless there is a gale force wind at his back. Frie's distribution was exceptional in that game (as commented to me by the NYRB scout who sat next to me for a part of the game) - better than many established MLS keepers.

There are always trade offs, and I think Sutton found himself on the wrong side of the value side of the ledger. You can't pay a backup what Sutton was getting, not in the world of MLS caps. And Frei, as a young keeper, will only improve with experience.

VPjr
07-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Don't be surprised to see Sutton back with TFC next season.

You can almost be 100% sure that Frei is gone at the end of this season. His people are already working on it.

There is also talk that Yallop might be looking at Sutton and that Montreal might be looking at bringing Sutton back (his wife is from there).

boban
07-05-2009, 02:10 PM
You can almost be 100% sure that Frei is gone at the end of this season. His people are already working on it.
Where's he going? More to the point, where do his people think he should go next year?

rocker
07-05-2009, 02:25 PM
His people are already working on it.
).

in what way are they working on it? he's under contract for multiple seasons.

CretanBull
07-05-2009, 02:28 PM
^ So was Edu.

Blizzard
07-05-2009, 02:38 PM

So was Edu but when he and his people said I want to go to Europe, Mo and MLS went ahead and made a deal.

I could see Frei doing the same thing although I think another year under his belt before making a move certainly wouldn't hurt him.

rocker
07-05-2009, 03:07 PM
So was Edu but when he and his people said I want to go to Europe, Mo and MLS went ahead and made a deal.

I could see Frei doing the same thing although I think another year under his belt before making a move certainly wouldn't hurt him.

So it's a fact that Mo Johnston was led by Edu's reps to trade him?
Or did Mo Johnston shop him first? Or was it mutual?

I could "See" Frei doing that... but what my previous message asked was specifics about what his reps are doing to get this to happen. Reps cannot make it happen alone since Frei is under contract.

VPJr likes to toss out these little "nuggets".. give us some specifics on how it works.

Cuz Stefan Frei is signed to a multi-year contract.

rocker
07-05-2009, 03:07 PM
^ So was Edu.

So you're saying Edu's reps contacted Mo Johnston, told him to move him or else what? Or else he has to play another 2.5 seasons? ;)

I'm trying to get at how this process is working with Frei.

Fact: Frei can't leave unless MLS lets him.

Edu just didn't walk away because "his reps were working on it". ;)

Inswingingwingman
07-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I gotta get a rep. A beer rep. Whiskey rep. I already have a bad rep.

My rep's are on it. What ever "It" is.

TFC OZZ
07-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Absolutely no regrets with this move. Frei is without a shout of a doubt a better goaltender as far as I'm concerned, and saves us valuable cap space. The fact that we had 3 goalies on our team was a joke, and thank god we finally sorted it out.

As far as statistics go, and the fact that they "don't lie" I'm not going to go into much detail other than to say, I'm not really going to give statistics much weight in my opinion over which keeper is better, unless they take more variables into account that just goals scored.

CretanBull
07-05-2009, 04:47 PM
So you're saying Edu's reps contacted Mo Johnston, told him to move him or else what? Or else he has to play another 2.5 seasons? ;)

I'm trying to get at how this process is working with Frei.

Fact: Frei can't leave unless MLS lets him.

Edu just didn't walk away because "his reps were working on it". ;)

The last thing that we want is to become a team with a reputation for interfering with a young player's developement. Sure, we could have forced Edu to stay here and we can force Frei to stay here too, but then we shouldn't be surprised when other young players refuse to sign with us.

ensco
07-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Edu's value was 100% about the fact that he was getting starts for one of the top 20 FIFA MNTs, and 0% about his performance at TFC.

Tell Frei's representatives to work on getting him a callup to the Swiss MNT, even as a backup, until then, I think these breathless certainties are more than a little premature.

VPjr
07-06-2009, 01:46 AM

Players with multi year contracts are regularly sold.

As I hear it, Frei's representatives are seeking out willing buyers. His Swiss passport makes it a piece of cake to get him into Europe, as opposed to Edu, whose options were more limited.

Of course, TFC/MLS will have to accept but if someone shows up with a few million dollars, it will be asta la vista to Mr. Frei and possibly hello again to Mr. Sutton.

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being Frei staying and 10 being Frei being sold, I'd give it a solid 8 that he's not with TFC next year.

Think about it...if he were Canadian, there is a better than 50/50 chance that he'd be Canada's starting GK straight out of college. He's that good and will continue to get better.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Players with multi year contracts are regularly sold.

As I hear it, Frei's representatives are seeking out willing buyers. His Swiss passport makes it a piece of cake to get him into Europe, as opposed to Edu, whose options were more limited.

Of course, TFC/MLS will have to accept but if someone shows up with a few million dollars, it will be asta la vista to Mr. Frei and possibly hello again to Mr. Sutton.

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being Frei staying and 10 being Frei being sold, I'd give it a solid 8 that he's not with TFC next year.

Think about it...if he were Canadian, there is a better than 50/50 chance that he'd be Canada's starting GK straight out of college. He's that good and will continue to get better.

Bank on it....i agree he's out!....

I also think he's worth more the the 5mill we got for Edu!.....

VPjr
07-06-2009, 01:50 AM
Edu's value was 100% about the fact that he was getting starts for one of the top 20 FIFA MNTs, and 0% about his performance at TFC.

Tell Frei's representatives to work on getting him a callup to the Swiss MNT, even as a backup, until then, I think these breathless certainties are more than a little premature.

Brad Guzan was sold to Villa based on his performances in MLS, not based on his performances for the US in international competition.

Frei is an even easier player to sell because he's already got the right passport. He can go pretty much anywhere.

VPjr
07-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Bank on it....i agree he's out!....

I also think he's worth more the the 5mill we got for Edu!.....

I agree he's probably worth more but somehow I doubt TFC will get more than 5million for Frei in these economic times.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-06-2009, 02:03 AM
I still cant be convinced of it (could be im refusing to believe it HA)

VPjr
07-06-2009, 02:11 AM
^ No reason to be convinced until it actually happens. Until then, just enjoy his work. He's a very solid young keeper and he's been a highlight of the season for me this year (and I've been mostly dissatisfied with the team all season).

It would be nice if MLS was the type of league a player of his ilk would be satisfied to be a part of for the long run but we know that its not. Its only natural that an ambitious player would want to move up to a better level as quickly as possible

Ossington Mental Youth
07-06-2009, 02:55 AM
absolutely and i dont fault him for that at all either, especially after having the year he has had

ensco
07-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Brad Guzan was sold to Villa based on his performances in MLS, not based on his performances for the US in international competition.

Frei is an even easier player to sell because he's already got the right passport. He can go pretty much anywhere.

VPjr, is Guzan's track (spending 4 or 5 years in MLS, then getting sold for peanuts as your contract is expiring) really something Frei's "representatives" are going to be "working on"?

Also, Guzan had been capped a whole bunch of times by the time he was sold.

You do have a point about performance. I amend my point: Frei needs to be selected by his MNT to generate interest, whether he performs or not is important to the fee TFC receives.

The passport thing is overrated. There is no shortage of good GKs in every league in Europe. It's why the transfer market for GKs is so much lower, relative to field players, in general.

Steve
07-06-2009, 01:11 PM

I'm not going to say he's not a better keeper, but I think it's closer than you think (in fact, if they were paid the same, I wonder what would have happened). As far as ability, here is how I would break it down:

Distribution: Frei is better, but not as good as I originally thought. He started off strong, but has not been able to utilize his distribution as effectively as I had hoped. Despite that, Sutton was horrid, so Frei takes it.

Shot Stopping: Frei is more athletic, Sutton is bigger. Sutton can make some crazy reaction saves, Frei can as well. Give him a few years, and sure, Frei might have Sutton beat, but today? I would have to put this one at a tie.

Controlling the box: This is where Frei is terrible, and I'm really curious as to why this board never mentions it. Frei doesn't come out for crosses. He doesn't come out for corners. He doesn't control his box at all. Call it inexperience, call it lack of courage, call it overreliance on his shot stopping ability, but the only time I remember him coming out for a cross, was one he shouldn't have come out for at all. Like it or not, Sutton was a beast in the box. If a cross came in that was just a little too close to him, he it was in his big ass hands safely. Sutton takes this catagory hands down.

So, in my mind, Frei hasn't yet proven to me he is, today, an upgrade to Sutton. Sure, he's much better value for the money, and he has a better potential future (though that is arguably countered by his potential move to Europe) but I'm not convince at the over the top Frei love going on here.

Limani_Ole
07-06-2009, 01:47 PM

and he is young..

TFC111
07-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Frei is awesome but Greg Sutton should be employed somewhere in MLS. He is certainly a far better keeper when match fit than the midget on Red Bulls. After his performance in these two games and when the transfer window open it will be crazy if Sutton isn't back in the league with someone.

Yohan
07-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Frei is awesome but Greg Sutton should be employed somewhere in MLS. He is certainly a far better keeper when match fit than the midget on Red Bulls. After his performance in these two games and when the transfer window open it will be crazy if Sutton isn't back in the league with someone.
Cepero is about equal to Sutton in ability I'd say. Plus he has potential to improve to be better than Sutton.

ExiledRed
07-07-2009, 10:33 PM
The fact that we had 3 goalies on our team was a joke, and thank god we finally sorted it out.

This statement is ridiculous, having three goalies is standard.

When one goalie is out of the lineup due to injury, who sits on the bench for the other?

When a team has to ask a field player to put the gloves on because the only available keeper has just taken a knock, that is a bigger joke.

Yohan
07-07-2009, 10:40 PM
This statement is ridiculous, having three goalies is standard.

not in MLS. teams can't afford that kind of luxury on limited roster spots and cap

I think DC is only team with 3 GKs, and they just released Louis Crayton to go down to 2

backbeat
07-07-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm sorry but Sutton was sub-standard tonight.

and in the MLS there is no way you can have 3 keepers - no way - the rosters are far too small

as far as i'm conccerned Sutton is a liability to the national team.

ExiledRed
07-07-2009, 10:45 PM
not in MLS. teams can't afford that kind of luxury on limited roster spots and cap

I think DC is only team with 3 GKs, and they just released Louis Crayton to go down to 2

It's not a luxury to ensure there is always a keeper on the bench, it's standard procedure.

Using an emergency backup is way too risky, especially if the game is important, we lucked out with Sam Reynolds, next time we might get a djekanovic.

Yohan
07-07-2009, 10:49 PM
It's not a luxury to ensure there is always a keeper on the bench, it's standard procedure.

Using an emergency backup is way too risky, especially if the game is important, we lucked out with Sam Reynolds, next time we might get a djekanovic.
if the roster spots were up to 25 SIs, I'd agree with you

but would you rather have an extra keeper (who goes against your cap BTW) or another outfield player who'd probably be getting more play time?

it's not like you can find a good backup keeper for pittance you'd pay him too. well, harder to find half decent GKs who'd play 3rd string on an MLS team

boban
07-07-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm sorry but Sutton was sub-standard tonight.

and in the MLS there is no way you can have 3 keepers - no way - the rosters are far too small

as far as i'm conccerned Sutton is a liability to the national team.
In what way?
Got a shutout and wasn't really tested much.
This game didn't show much for any point to be made.

Yohan
07-07-2009, 11:25 PM
In what way?
Got a shutout and wasn't really tested much.
This game didn't show much for any point to be made.
made couple of gaffs that could have been costly

lucky for Canada that El Salvador was Shite Bulls level of shite, otherwise it could have turned ugly for Canada

boban
07-07-2009, 11:33 PM
made couple of gaffs that could have been costly

lucky for Canada that El Salvador was Shite Bulls level of shite, otherwise it could have turned ugly for Canada
I didn't see all of the 1st, but did see all of the second.
He looked alright.

Yohan
07-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I didn't see all of the 1st, but did see all of the second.
He looked alright.
looked very poor on reacting to relatively easy save last first half, and made a horrendous pass just outside the box to ES player

zamperina
07-08-2009, 06:49 AM
I think Mojo made the right decision here. I think you will see Sutton in the USL next year.

Technorgasm
07-08-2009, 01:25 PM
http://redbulls.theoffside.com/files/2008/07/hattrickbuddle.jpg

Kevvv
07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
looked very poor on reacting to relatively easy save last first half, and made a horrendous pass just outside the box to ES player

I seem to remember one of those near misses in the Jammy game as well. I get a minor heart palpitation anytime someone passes back to him.

Dub Narcotic
07-08-2009, 05:25 PM
absolutely and i dont fault him for that at all either, especially after having the year he has had

Has Frei really been that good? I think he's a slightly-above average MLS keeper at this point. He's rightfully not getting any mention for the all-star game, and I can think of quite a few goals that he should have done better on. I do think he has a lot of potential, and is better than Sutton, but it's not like he's set the league on fire this year.