PDA

View Full Version : Guillermo Franco To Tfc Or Bust!!!!!

[NBF]
07-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Guillermo Franco is out of contract right now.............

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04w74kefW25w4/610x.jpg

He used to play for Villareal in Spain and Monterey in Mexico. He has a good scoring history and he is 32, which makes him perfect for the MLS DP category. Not only that he would be a major complament to Ali Gerba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Franco

YouTube:

fhsMs0YtyTY

OLE OLE OLE OLE GUILLE! GUILLE!

YLUc8tTwpbU

Im working on a list of top strikers in CONCACAF and I happened to come across Guillermo Franco as being unattached. So I stopped what I was doing and decided to start this thread. Is there anyway that the RPB can make a banner that says "Guillermo Franco for DP" to place infront of TFC offices or parking lot? Or make fliers to drop off at their offices? This guy is perfect for TFC right now!:scarf:

BTW, later this week my list of top CONCACAF strikers will be complete.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-03-2009, 04:36 AM
I gotta say he does have the sort of history/calibre we are looking for, its not incredible but its all at higher leagues which sorta suggests he'd do well here

Ossington Mental Youth
07-03-2009, 04:40 AM
i suspect we'd have to move a player or two before this happens tho

Toronto Gunner
07-03-2009, 07:16 AM
I was quite underwhelmed by the highlight videos...

FluSH
07-03-2009, 07:20 AM
El Guille?! I can't stand this guy... pass.

edit: and no, I'm not saying he's a bad person, a primadonna like blanco, or a cancer in the locker room like Carlos Ruiz. In fact El Guille is much better person than the guys I just mentioned... but still I just can't place it... I'll pass.

trane
07-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Why do people always give such extreme options on polls? I do not know enought about it him to say "never", but my first problem is that his strike rate has gone way down. Now I know it is in a top three league, but still, there must be something to account for the change. I say no thanks, unless you are seeing something that I do not.

Kaz
07-03-2009, 04:18 PM
To be honest I'd Like to see a DP in the Defensive Mid role, in that we are still having issues defensively. I'd like to see what gerba does for us Offensively and how O'brian White does before we start talking about DP strikers if we don't need it.

TFCWEST
07-03-2009, 05:09 PM
I'd exercise some caution before signing a DP. Look at what happened in LA with Beckham, he came in as a saviour figure, but ended up hurting moral and ultimately was a bust. When you have one guy making 10 mill and other earning less than 40k theres bound to be some tension within the lockerroom.

[NBF]
07-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Why do people always give such extreme options on polls? I do not know enought about it him to say "never", but my first problem is that his strike rate has gone way down. Now I know it is in a top three league, but still, there must be something to account for the change. I say no thanks, unless you are seeing something that I do not.

Trane, before you start asking what his strike rate is in La Liga (3rd best league in the world, MLS = 77 th), why don't you tell me what the strike rate of Dichio was in England before his move to TFC, and also Chad Barrett's strike rate in the MLS?

......don't fear what you don't know when you have evidence infront of you to prove that the man is still a good option for his national team and just finished playing in the 2006 World Cup. Compared to what we have I call Guille nothing but class.

To be honest I'd Like to see a DP in the Defensive Mid role, in that we are still having issues defensively. I'd like to see what gerba does for us Offensively and how O'brian White does before we start talking about DP strikers if we don't need it.

A DP Defensive Midfielder?

Why, cause the only name that crosses your mind for a DP is Julian DeGuzman?

Wake up from that grade 7 fantasy. JDG is not coming to TFC and Robinson and Cronin are two good defensive midfielders. Robinson may not have the speed to keep up with the play but he has good positioning. Cronin is young and learning and he seems to be the best pick up of the draft.

The reason if at all that they're overwhelmed at times is because our strikers dont install fear in any of the defenses. Guille Franco, would defintely solve that problem. How many people said Darren Huckerby was washed up and then saw him in that first game versus TFC and he managed to push our defense on the back heels?

Guille Franco, is no different than Darren Huckerby, the only difference is that he's twice the player that Darren Huckerby is.

I'd exercise some caution before signing a DP. Look at what happened in LA with Beckham, he came in as a saviour figure, but ended up hurting moral and ultimately was a bust. When you have one guy making 10 mill and other earning less than 40k theres bound to be some tension within the lockerroom.

Q:1st of all, why was Beckham brought in?

A: To raise the profile of the league and to bring attention to the league.
How?:
(1) Being the face of the popular team in the league,
(2) Living an outlandish lifestyle,
(3) Being a sex symbol to the masses,
(4) Playing in the league, basically even if he showed he did his job,
(5) Presenting a positive outlook of the MLS short comings.

Q: Why does it seem like "The Beckham Experiment" failed in MLS?

A: Pele gave the best answer - Pele told the Associated Press that American soccer fans were given the impression Beckham would be a goal scorer.
"They announced him as a scorer of goals," Pele said during an interview in Sheffield, England.
"He isn't a goal scorer. That was a mistake."

As far as the locker room goes, there's always going to jealousy going on in the locker room, guys comparing each other by what they make, who is the better player, whos the worst player. Its called competition, a good manager would know how to handle all types of people.

If you're buying into what Landon Donovan has said you should know by now that he is only speaking because he has tasted some success but like all his playing, its only short lived. He's a lifetime MLS player that doesnt even know what its like to be the guy at the top. He's the little guy that always gets picked on and when given an opportunity to shine he goes all out cocky.

El Guille?! I can't stand this guy... pass.

edit: and no, I'm not saying he's a bad person, a primadonna like blanco, or a cancer in the locker room like Carlos Ruiz. In fact El Guille is much better person than the guys I just mentioned... but still I just can't place it... I'll pass.

Blanco is 35, Scheletto, is 36, and still considered DP material. A DP is not neccessarily making $5 million dollars a year like Beckham. They're just making more than the actual salary cap allows teams to pay a single player.

I couldn't stand Zinidine Zidane, when he played for Juventus, but if he played for Inter I would have said he was the greatest player ever! Flush, where do you get off saying you cant stand the guy when he is by far 3 times the striker that any of the strikers on TFC's roster.

This is what Pele said about Beckham:

- "They announced him as a scorer of goals."

- "He isn't a goal scorer. That was a mistake."

What is Guille Franco, is he not a scorer of Goooals?

Is he a midfielder/forward like Schelletto or Blanco? No. He's a striker, like .... Roque Santa Cruz. Dont you like Santa Cruz on your team?

FluSH
07-03-2009, 08:45 PM
;608922']
Blanco is 35, Scheletto, is 36, and still considered DP material. A DP is not neccessarily making $5 million dollars a year like Beckham. They're just making more than the actual salary cap allows teams to pay a single player.

I couldn't stand Zinidine Zidane, when he played for Juventus, but if he played for Inter I would have said he was the greatest player ever! Flush, where do you get off saying you cant stand the guy when he is by far 3 times the striker that any of the strikers on TFC's roster.

This is what Pele said about Beckham:

- "They announced him as a scorer of goals."

- "He isn't a goal scorer. That was a mistake."

What is Guille Franco, is he not a scorer of Goooals?

Is he a midfielder/forward like Schelletto or Blanco? No. He's a striker, like .... Roque Santa Cruz. Dont you like Santa Cruz on your team?

ugh... I wasn't talking about goals scored... heck nowhere in my post did I ever mention goals scored. Also your comparison about TFC strickers is really one sided... there are A LOT of strikers out there... let me rephrase that... there is a shitload of strikers out there that are three times better than TFC strikers... in fact you don't even need to compare strikers... Also I never mentioned Schelletto... I mentioned Ruiz... although I don't like that douchebag either.

prizby
07-04-2009, 12:50 AM
he is a crew player...he wore yellow!!! ARGH

Corpand
07-04-2009, 12:53 AM
I hate all these posts, they give me such hope but we know that it will never realistically happen.

torontocelt
07-08-2009, 07:05 PM
I would say yes, he definitely has a knack for being in the right place at the right time, he is very mobile, knows how to find space, he seems to be a good finisher and he has a physical presence and he would win more than his fair share of headers. At 32 he is not too old and a one in four strike rate for Valencia is actually pretty decent considering the league plus I am guessing he would have been more of a squad player there, in and out of the team and that always effects strikers goals per game ratio as they are always having to readjust. I feel extremely confident that if this guy had been with TFC from the start of the season and he was playing instead of Barrett, well I reckon he would definitely be in double figures by now as he would have buried most of the sitters Barrett has missed.

thisisinternetclash
07-13-2009, 12:11 AM
I think if the club want to go the route of bringing in a big-name foreign player from Europe as the DP then they'd be best served finding a player whose ethnic group is particularly well-represented in the Toronto area, at least if the aim is to take the club to the next level commercially. Imagine an Italian/Portuguese/Serbian/Croatian/Greek etc. former international with genuine name recognition signing for TFC and the effect that could have in segments of the city. Otherwise, though, it seems like an unduly large risk to bring over a non-English speaking DP from Europe who may simply not take to the league and pull a Robert or Claudio Lopez.

flatpicker
07-13-2009, 01:17 AM
is this the same Guillermo?

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/abc_kimmel_070502_ssv.jpg

Nuvinho
08-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Here is the question:

DOES HE WANT TO COME TO MLS? DOES HE WANT TO PLAY FOR TORONTO FC?

Menelaos
08-14-2009, 07:49 AM
I'll take him in a heartbeat.

In case it escaped anyone, this is the player that started over Vela, Sabah, among others for Mexico vs the US.

He would know how to finish.

Shway
08-14-2009, 10:43 AM
i suspect we'd have to move a player or two before this happens tho

why would we have to?
we have 21 players on the roster,
and how many GA players,
how many Gabe Gala contracts, the money is their Ossi
DO NOT BE FOOLED

rocker
08-14-2009, 10:50 AM
why would we have to?
we have 21 players on the roster,
and how many GA players,
how many Gabe Gala contracts, the money is their Ossi
DO NOT BE FOOLED

so what is our cap hit right now? how much allocation money do we have?

the roster spots available must be accompanied by enough cap room for a significant player.

Shway
08-14-2009, 11:45 AM
thats something i would like to know aswell,
but i do know that a significant player is available,
management is waiting to put in a big for a player like Luis Fabiano

MartinUtd
08-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Robbie Keane!

He's 29 and supposedly good friends with Robo! In the past year his fee has gone from £19mil to £12mil. Maybe MLSE can scoop him for $20mil... in a perfect world, right?

jloome
08-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Not coming.
I emailed him yesterday via his site, and he emailed back tonight, saying his family is happy in Spain and wants to stay there after his playing days.

Sounds like he's going to retire.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2009, 05:56 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=676944&sec=transfers&cc=3888

Not good enough for TFC but good enough for the Hammers?
For shame! HAHAHAHA

TFCtoMUFC
09-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Not coming.
I emailed him yesterday via his site, and he emailed back tonight, saying his family is happy in Spain and wants to stay there after his playing days.

Sounds like he's going to retire.

Translated that means: I do not want to play in the MLS, especially not in Toronto.

Why would he want to play here? JDG is at least Canadian.

Canadian Blue
09-17-2009, 11:40 AM
He just signed for West Ham

InTheCrowd
09-17-2009, 01:11 PM
We signed the other guy on the photo! :D

flatpicker
09-17-2009, 01:16 PM
is this the same Guillermo?

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/abc_kimmel_070502_ssv.jpg

We signed the other guy on the photo! :D

we signed Jimmy Kimmel????

InTheCrowd
09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
we signed Jimmy Kimmel????

Lol wrong photo!

:picard::D

Red CB Toronto
09-17-2009, 09:13 PM
JDG is a far better DP signing for the Reds than Franco would have been, first he is younger and also is Canadian. I would go with him any day.

Menelaos
09-18-2009, 07:04 AM
JDG is a far better DP signing for the Reds than Franco would have been, first he is younger and also is Canadian. I would go with him any day.

Yeah, who needs a proven goal scorer...

InTheCrowd
09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeah, who needs a proven goal scorer...

Why not both? Is one DP enough? :D

Let's trade Barrett for a designated play spot. :D

[NBF]
04-03-2010, 01:49 PM
OK, Lets restart this thread, Guillermo's contract is up at the end of June and West Ham will probably be relegated, so maybe we should name him our 2nd or 3rd DP. He's my personal choice. Basically he's a poor man's Berbatov.

KezmanCCCC
04-03-2010, 02:03 PM
he looks like he could be a good signing..

Jeffro
04-03-2010, 03:14 PM
;608922']

A DP Defensive Midfielder?

Why, cause the only name that crosses your mind for a DP is Julian DeGuzman?

Wake up from that grade 7 fantasy. JDG is not coming to TFC and Robinson and Cronin are two good defensive midfielders. Robinson may not have the speed to keep up with the play but he has good positioning. Cronin is young and learning and he seems to be the best pick up of the draft.

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dunc
04-03-2010, 04:16 PM
we're getting Lee Trundle when his loan at Swansea is done and de Rosario is on his way to Bristol City

i don't want to divulge my source though because there isn't one

[NBF]
04-03-2010, 11:51 PM
we're getting Lee Trundle when his loan at Swansea is done and de Rosario is on his way to Bristol City

i don't want to divulge my source though because there isn't one

OK, I'm going to respond.....:facepalm:

This would be a typical Mo Johnston swap 1 for -1. Lee Trundle sounds pretty decent though, I'm a bit skeptical that he was only able to score one goal in 10 appearances in League 1 for Leeds.

To trade away DeRosario who scored 11 goals in MLS last season is ludacris.

Where did you pull out Lee Trudle's name from? That's so ridiculous, but it wouldn't surprise me if we did..... This season is such a rollercoaster, fuck and I thought the preseason was bad.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-04-2010, 01:09 AM
read his post again, hes taking the piss

KezmanCCCC
04-04-2010, 02:24 PM
;959839']OK, I'm going to respond.....:facepalm:

This would be a typical Mo Johnston swap 1 for -1. Lee Trundle sounds pretty decent though, I'm a bit skeptical that he was only able to score one goal in 10 appearances in League 1 for Leeds.

Where did you pull out Lee Trudle's name from? That's so ridiculous, but it wouldn't surprise me if we did..... This season is such a rollercoaster, fuck and I thought the preseason was bad.

:hide:i think it was a joke....

MUFC_Niagara
04-04-2010, 03:16 PM
;959839']OK, I'm going to respond.....:facepalm:

I think you should start a poll about it.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-04-2010, 03:50 PM

bwahahaha